PDA

View Full Version : Can Memphis/OKC beat Dallas?

Rafer17
05-08-2011, 05:49 PM
Regardless of who wins the Thunder/Grizz series, which one would stand a better chance against the Mavs? I think the Grizzlies have a greater chance of beating Dallas as opposed to the Thunder, because of their strong interior presence in Zbo..

Thoughts?

Also: What Finals matchups would get the best ratings?

m26555
05-08-2011, 05:51 PM
Gotta go with the Grizzlies because of their size inside and their perimeter defense.

droalex
05-08-2011, 05:52 PM
Tony Allen can't guard Dirk.

Chacarron
05-08-2011, 05:52 PM
Memphis is so unpredictable. They have all the pieces to destroy any team: great perimeter defenders, great low post scoring, somewhat reliable shooters. So far, they have played great and it would be a nice story to see them make the Finals.

iggypop123
05-08-2011, 06:03 PM
memphis beat dallas 3 out of 1. yes

Mavrix
05-08-2011, 06:05 PM
Mavs in 6 against either team

Doogolas
Wow. They beat Dallas 3 times in 1 game? That's impressive!

:) jk.

Ovratd1up
Best Ratings?

Heat - Thunder
Bulls - Thunder
Heat - Mavs
--
Heat - Memphis
Celtics - Mavs
Celtics - Thunder
Bulls - Mavs

JerseysFinest
05-08-2011, 06:07 PM
Thunder are younger and more athletic than the Mavericks, so that'd be a very interesting series. Memphis would make it tough for Dallas as well. But Dallas will beat the winner of that series.

king4day
05-08-2011, 06:10 PM
Much as I want Memphis to win it all, I don't think anyone is stopping the Mavs.
I see Miami being their best matchup for the east. Dallas' depth will eat the Heat alive.

MacFitz92
05-08-2011, 06:11 PM
I can't see Oklahoma matching up size wise with the Mavericks. I also can't see the Grizzlies being skilled enough to win more than a game. Anything can happen, but I still find all three teams in the East (Chicago, Boston, Miami; Not Atlanta) bigger threats.

Mavs-Heat would get the best ratings.

Redbull
05-08-2011, 06:11 PM
I think both teams have a shot, The Mavs will be the favorite against either team but both teams do create some matchup problems.

Thunder- Younger and more athletic.

Grizzles- Good perimeter defense and good low post scorers.

sargon21
05-08-2011, 06:13 PM
Would Bulls-Heat ECF get better ratings than Dallas/OKC-Heat/Chicago Finals?

mzgrizz
05-08-2011, 06:13 PM
Wow. They beat Dallas 3 times in 1 game? That's impressive!

:) jk.

Yes we are VERY impressive!! See that win from behind 13 at the start of the 4th last night v OKC? Went to OT and won by 8 !!
And we are NOT afraid of the Mavs either.

gaughan333
05-08-2011, 06:14 PM
Who would guard Durant for the Mavs. They wouldn't try to put Dirk on him would they?

MrfadeawayJB
05-08-2011, 06:15 PM
I think either team could beat the mavs. But at the same time the mavs could beat either team. I think whoever they play its going 6 or 7 games.

Best ratings= mavs-heat rematch

mzgrizz
05-08-2011, 06:15 PM
Much as I want Memphis to win it all, I don't think anyone is stopping the Mavs.
I see Miami being their best matchup for the east. Dallas' depth will eat the Heat alive.

Don't give up on us, King. We 've had the Mavs number for the past 3 years and they know it. They are not keen on playing us, you can bet on that.

mzgrizz
05-08-2011, 06:17 PM
I also can't see the Grizzlies being skilled enough to win more than a game.

Oh MacFitz, I sure hope your coach and team feels the same way you do !!!

Ty Fast
05-08-2011, 06:19 PM
mavs are going to win the west

mzgrizz
05-08-2011, 06:24 PM
I'm sure the Mavs would get more calls as they are a better draw for the ratings and be likelier to get out of the WCF.........yes, the NBA works that way.
There is some element that a SURPRISE team that would get ratings,too, so you never really know. What I do know is we match up well with Dallas at any rate.

210Don
05-08-2011, 06:24 PM
everyone team left cept the hawks can beat the mavs in 6

mzgrizz
05-08-2011, 06:31 PM
Need to finish off OKC first ! I am breathless waiting to see the names of the refs for tomorrow. Probably Joey Crawford and Violet Palmer and the grey ghost.

Kobes a Killer
05-08-2011, 06:34 PM
Memphis has excellent defense so you never know. Memphis NBA champs 2011!!!

A guy can hope can't he

LTBaByyy
05-08-2011, 06:34 PM

Give it up!!! Just cause your spurs choked

You said Blazers in 6

You said Lakers in 6

Then you said if Grizzlies win they will go to Finals

Now this haha

Give it up

mzgrizz
05-08-2011, 06:42 PM
Memphis has excellent defense so you never know. Memphis NBA champs 2011!!!

A guy can hope can't he

Oh no !!! Hope the team doesn't see that. They do much better when they think everyone outside of Memphis is ignoring them:p

MFFL==FML
05-08-2011, 06:48 PM

All other teams except the Hawks have ''tricked you'' all season into thinking they can beat the Mavs in 6.

Ethix11
05-08-2011, 06:49 PM
Would Bulls-Heat ECF get better ratings than Dallas/OKC-Heat/Chicago Finals?

no

koreancabbage
05-08-2011, 06:52 PM
i think could be a dynasty unfolding for Dallas. What till they get Butler back as well. this team is STACKED. man

as much as i like Miami's chances and that Wade single handledly beat them in the finals. Dallas is stacked for the neext few years.

Rego247
05-08-2011, 07:22 PM
grizzlies are gonna handle that. no worries.

bmd1101
05-08-2011, 07:26 PM
Who would guard Durant for the Mavs. They wouldn't try to put Dirk on him would they?

Marion would guard Durant I would think.

Baller1
05-08-2011, 07:27 PM
The Memphis bandwagon has gotten pretty ridiculous.

The Mavs are sitting pretty right now. Coming off a sweep, gonna have plenty of rest; it's gonna be tough to stop them right now.

ne3xchamps
05-08-2011, 07:30 PM
It's hard to say, both are young and have size. But I think I would go with memphis because they are more physical down low. But dallas is looking damn tough right now.

sunschamp
05-08-2011, 07:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOaizD2GVEM

hilarious take on the lakers

Tanakid777
05-08-2011, 07:38 PM

Marion gives him hell every game. Some of KD's worst games have come against Marion this year

The Jokemaker
05-08-2011, 07:38 PM
I can't believe the Grizzlies are even in this conversation. Come on guys, finish up OKC then continue to prove the doubters wrong!

Unlike the Lakers, the Grizz close out on defense and those 3 point attempts would be contested against the Mavs. Would be a good series IF the Grizz get to that point.

Tanakid777
05-08-2011, 07:39 PM
And yes, either of those teams CAN beat Dallas, as Dallas CAN also beat either of them

jlee3936
05-08-2011, 07:42 PM
anyone who is referencing memphis' record vs dallas in the regular season obviously hasn't learned that this is the PLAYOFFS (see LA vs DAL, and dirk was hurt or just came back from injury, other loss came at the last second, but again irrelevant because that happened in the reg season). OKC is scary vs anyone, including the mavs. Durant, when he's on, makes me cry. Nobody on memphis' squad has that effect on me. Personally as a mavs fan OKC deff worries me and I'm hoping the grizz beat them up physically/mentally because even with the series lead I just can't see them winning it.

Tanakid777
05-08-2011, 07:42 PM
I can't see Oklahoma matching up size wise with the Mavericks. I also can't see the Grizzlies being skilled enough to win more than a game. Anything can happen, but I still find all three teams in the East (Chicago, Boston, Miami; Not Atlanta) bigger threats.

Mavs-Heat would get the best ratings.

Easy there killer.

BALLER R
05-08-2011, 07:43 PM
Best Ratings?

Heat - Thunder
Bulls - Thunder
Heat - Mavs
--
Heat - Memphis
Celtics - Mavs
Celtics - Thunder
Bulls - Mavs

Heat vs Dallas would have the best rating because their history behind it

NYKnicksAllDay
05-08-2011, 07:44 PM
I think either team can beat them. Not sure they will though if the Mavs keep this up.

BALLER R
05-08-2011, 07:45 PM
why are people still doubting the grizzlies ill make a bet from now that they will beat OKC

justinnum1
05-08-2011, 07:45 PM
both can imo. Both have much much better defenses than the lakers

MrfadeawayJB
05-08-2011, 07:47 PM
anyone who is referencing memphis' record vs dallas in the regular season obviously hasn't learned that this is the PLAYOFFS (see LA vs DAL, and dirk was hurt or just came back from injury, other loss came at the last second, but again irrelevant because that happened in the reg season). OKC is scary vs anyone, including the mavs. Durant, when he's on, makes me cry. Nobody on memphis' squad has that effect on me. Personally as a mavs fan OKC deff worries me and I'm hoping the grizz beat them up physically/mentally because even with the series lead I just can't see them winning it.

thats funny because Dirk is the only player that dallas has that worries me. If we get to play dallas, i think a steady dose of shane battier/tony allen/darrell arthur would at least make dirk work for it. Mavs shooter wont get as many open looks as they did against LA, i mean, you could put me out there and i might have made 3-4 threes tonight!!! The good thing is if we do play Dallas, we kind of got a "dose" of what dirk could be with durant. Both are long, and great shooters. Should be an interesting series though.

jlee3936
05-08-2011, 08:00 PM
Mad respect for grizz fans, got class and humility, and a damn good squad. I feel your pain not having Rudy because mavs are missing Caron (deff not to compare the two, Rudy>Caron by a mile but carons tenacity on defense and 15ppg is deff missed). and most importantly THANK YOU FOR BEATING THE SPURS, but if you do advance your road stops in dallas :)

DRose7
05-08-2011, 08:01 PM
memphis beat dallas 3 out of 1. yes

LOL you guys one once without Dirk playing..as for the other two, the first one was in the begggining on the season (their 2nd game)...you guys won by one, in those two games, which came down to the last shot...I am not worried the Mavs will sweep ya'll.

justinnum1
05-08-2011, 08:07 PM
LOL you guys one once without Dirk playing..as for the other two, the first one was in the begggining on the season (their 2nd game)...you guys won by one, in those two games, which came down to the last shot...I am not worried the Mavs will sweep ya'll.

:facepalm::facepalm:

drobe86
05-08-2011, 08:11 PM

Hey young buck you got hate on your breath lol... Worry about the sorry *** Spurs getting dismantled by a Memphis team without their best player

RaiderLakersA's
05-08-2011, 08:11 PM
It's a toss up. All of the remaining teams in the West have a shot.

The Jokemaker
05-08-2011, 08:14 PM
It's a toss up. All of the remaining teams in the West have a shot.

They really do and it's nice to see the NBA have this. I'm hoping by some sheer miracle the Grizzlies can make it to the Finals but if not Mavs are the other team I'm pulling for. Always liked Nowitzki

John Walls Era
05-08-2011, 08:14 PM
Can? Any team CAN win... I think it will be close. But somehow I can't see the Grizz making the finals.

drobe86
05-08-2011, 08:15 PM
Lol@ people thinking because those teams had success against us in the regular season, it will carry over to the Postseason. LA had success against us in the regular season only to be swept in the 2nd round of the playoffs. Keep doubting us man, we can show you better than we can tell you

mzgrizz
05-08-2011, 08:20 PM
I just want to finish off OKC and THEN we'll have this conversation

hgtiger32
05-08-2011, 08:21 PM
All I'll say is that if Miami comes out of the East they better hope that they don't have to play Memphis. Battier and T Allen would give Wade and James fits all series. Plus Gasol and Randolph would dominate the front court

210Don
05-08-2011, 08:39 PM
All I'll say is that if Miami comes out of the East they better hope that they don't have to play Memphis. Battier and T Allen would give Wade and James fits all series. Plus Gasol and Randolph would dominate the front court

they have a perfect team its crazy...

Hangtime
05-08-2011, 08:46 PM
Grizz are proving to be tough. Great defense inside and out. When Gasol and Zbo are both playin well they are virtually unstoppable. Right now Perkins and Ibaka gives them a bigger problem defensively than Dallas will probably give them. The only problem I see is the refs, you know they will play a huge role in how the tone of the series go and that may frustrate Memphis getting them mentally out of their game.

gatkins11
05-08-2011, 09:00 PM
Heat vs Dallas would have the best rating because their history behind it

Agreed.

Ebbs
05-08-2011, 09:02 PM
I don't know both teams are worrysome. Like Jet said today they are both young with alot of energy. But I think we match better against the Thunder. Marion can keep KD honest. There scoring is limited to really KD and Westbrook. and they don't have an answer for Dirk.

drobe86
05-08-2011, 09:11 PM
Alot of people here on the Grizz dick. They do'nt even have Rudy Gay. And putting Tony Allen, Battier, or even any of the assorted bums Memphis will come with won't work. Lol... If Portland and LA couldn't size up Dirk and stop him how the hell is 6'4 Tony Allen gonna D up Dirk? Or a 6'8 Battier? The stuff people say on here is comical. Just deal with it folks. The Mavs are the best team in the NBA this season, and it's been proven. Minus Dirk getting hurt we'll be playing in the Finals and Win. We're too deep, we have too many shooters, and we have too many places to go to for scoring. Our Defense is lockdown and we're the best on the court on both ends. I'm not making this stuff up people there's a 10 game Playoff sample for you to look at. We dominated at Staples and the Rose Garden. We don't lose at our place. What are you gonna do?

210Don
05-08-2011, 09:14 PM
playing the spurs then thunder back to back is one of the toughest roads prolly ever in first 2 rounds the fact that they have played so well against TWO teams that most people thought could get to the finals is a testament to how good the grizz are.

hgtiger32
05-09-2011, 01:43 PM
Alot of people here on the Grizz dick. They do'nt even have Rudy Gay. And putting Tony Allen, Battier, or even any of the assorted bums Memphis will come with won't work. Lol... If Portland and LA couldn't size up Dirk and stop him how the hell is 6'4 Tony Allen gonna D up Dirk? Or a 6'8 Battier? The stuff people say on here is comical. Just deal with it folks. The Mavs are the best team in the NBA this season, and it's been proven. Minus Dirk getting hurt we'll be playing in the Finals and Win. We're too deep, we have too many shooters, and we have too many places to go to for scoring. Our Defense is lockdown and we're the best on the court on both ends. I'm not making this stuff up people there's a 10 game Playoff sample for you to look at. We dominated at Staples and the Rose Garden. We don't lose at our place. What are you gonna do?

haha do you do comedy shows on the weekend?

zB_#85
05-09-2011, 02:37 PM

Really? It's been proven? Last time I checked the finals aren't over yet. I always thought that's how the best team was proven. All the Mavs did was beat an LA team that isn't right in the head and starting to have chemistry issues. Truth be told, the Lakers would have been beat by anyone left in the playoffs (excluding the Hawks) playing the way they were. Maybe they will go on to win it all, but really? Saying it's been proven already? Don't crown yourselves just yet. Head's getting a little big after taking down the giants. Better be careful counting your chickens before they hatch...

Voodoo Alchemy
05-09-2011, 03:05 PM
if memphis continues to play defense, rebound and pound the inside with their bigs, they will win the finals.

Voodoo Alchemy
05-09-2011, 03:15 PM

dallas might be the best team but the grizzs is playing great basketball right behind the mavs. it's not the best team that wins but who plays the best that matters. i don't know if the thunder would've swept the lakers but i know they certainly would've beaten the fakers in 5 or 6 so don't make it seem like dallas was the only team that could take down la. i'm not betting against the mavs but i sure would love to see memphis/hawks in the finals.

jimbobjarree
05-09-2011, 04:34 PM
Really? It's been proven? Last time I checked the finals aren't over yet. I always thought that's how the best team was proven. All the Mavs did was beat an LA team that isn't right in the head and starting to have chemistry issues. Truth be told, the Lakers would have been beat by anyone left in the playoffs (excluding the Hawks) playing the way they were. Maybe they will go on to win it all, but really? Saying it's been proven already? Don't crown yourselves just yet. Head's getting a little big after taking down the giants. Better be careful counting your chickens before they hatch...

you actually needed to go and check if the finals had happened yet more than once?

Robbw241
05-09-2011, 04:43 PM

Wow so you get to go check on if the finals are but he can't check his own chickens! HATER!!!

Robbw241
05-09-2011, 04:43 PM
you actually needed to go and check if the finals had happened yet more than once?

Yo he's just a h8er.

Lake_Show2416
05-09-2011, 05:13 PM
I am drinking the COOL AID!!! they are legit threat to come out the west, idk if they will but ill be rooting for them

zB_#85
05-09-2011, 05:21 PM

yes. I checked 3 times.

ddhulett
05-09-2011, 05:36 PM
Grizz are proving to be tough. Great defense inside and out. When Gasol and Zbo are both playin well they are virtually unstoppable. Right now Perkins and Ibaka gives them a bigger problem defensively than Dallas will probably give them. The only problem I see is the refs, you know they will play a huge role in how the tone of the series go and that may frustrate Memphis getting them mentally out of their game.

Chandler and Heywood are better than Perkins and Ibaka

Mavs are holding teams to 88.2 ppg a game and the Grizz 96.8 ppg

the unknown
05-09-2011, 06:06 PM
i guess just look at the matchups

kidd conley westbrook
stevenson allen stef
marion young durant
dirk zbo ibaka
chandler gasol perkins
hayword arthur mohammad

looks to me both teams have interesting.. ibaka vs dirk or battier vs dirk
allen vs terry or terry vs harden
i dont think jkidd can guard conley or westbrook... conley and westbrook are faster than barea

all the centers are about even...

PHX2daDEATH
05-09-2011, 06:06 PM

I watched Tony Allen Shut down Durant the other night..Durant has a 6 inch height advantage, atleast.. so its not impossible that Tony Allen could hinder Dirk's game.. Memphis won't wait until they are about to lose to start hitting the Mavs in the mouth, like that disgraceful team in LA did..They will do it right at the beginning..The damn Indiana Pacers would of swept the lakers if they played a series..if you remember watching the Bulls series..please tell me I'm wrong. That being said I still think Dallas looks the most focused out of any playoff team but I'm worried that once the 3's stop falling which at some point they will, this team could struggle against a powerful Grizzlie team..thats the WCF i want to see because of the contrast of styles offensively..not to mention the two best PF's in the game with different games completely..

Kakaroach
05-09-2011, 07:07 PM
I would say OKC can, but Memphis could not. Westbrook would give Kidd a world of trouble and Ibaka + Perkins would make it insanely tough on Dirk.

ddhulett
05-10-2011, 11:09 AM
I watched Tony Allen Shut down Durant the other night..Durant has a 6 inch height advantage, atleast.. so its not impossible that Tony Allen could hinder Dirk's game.. Memphis won't wait until they are about to lose to start hitting the Mavs in the mouth, like that disgraceful team in LA did..They will do it right at the beginning..The damn Indiana Pacers would of swept the lakers if they played a series..if you remember watching the Bulls series..please tell me I'm wrong. That being said I still think Dallas looks the most focused out of any playoff team but I'm worried that once the 3's stop falling which at some point they will, this team could struggle against a powerful Grizzlie team..thats the WCF i want to see because of the contrast of styles offensively..not to mention the two best PF's in the game with different games completely..

Difference is Dirk will just take Tony Allen down low. In the Lakers series Artest tried to D-up Dirk and when Dirk saw Artest was on him he told Terry give me the ball I got this match up and he took Artest down low and scored over him.

Dirk is a bigger than Durant, now Dirk did in the past have his troubles with smaller defenders but he has learned to post them up over the years.

BlondeBomber41
05-10-2011, 01:57 PM
thats funny because Dirk is the only player that dallas has that worries me. If we get to play dallas, i think a steady dose of shane battier/tony allen/darrell arthur would at least make dirk work for it. Mavs shooter wont get as many open looks as they did against LA, i mean, you could put me out there and i might have made 3-4 threes tonight!!! The good thing is if we do play Dallas, we kind of got a "dose" of what dirk could be with durant. Both are long, and great shooters. Should be an interesting series though.

Arthur maybe, but those other guys are just too small to guard Dirk. Battier never was a threat to Dirk when we played Houston all those years, he knows all about Battier. Allen is what, 6'5? Just too small.

The Lakers have Lamar Odom, Ron Artest, Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol, and Matt Barnes to throw at Dirk and couldn't even slow him down. At this point the only person that can stop Dirk is Dirk himself.

ChiSox219
05-10-2011, 02:01 PM
It's not about stopping Dirk, let him get his 30 every night. Stop his teammates and execute on offense, you'll beat Dallas.

Sly Guy
05-10-2011, 02:08 PM
I don't think so. What I'm seeing out of Dallas is a too well rounded, too hungry, too much savvy vet pride.

I can't see OKC doing it because I've lost faith in westbrook, and believe that when he decides it's 'his time', he's more harm to his team than good.

I can't see Mem doing it because the strength of that team is their interior, but Dallas has every bit as big and scary a front line as they do, with a bigger rotation to hold it down when Dirk and Tyson are on the bench.

jbader09
05-10-2011, 02:43 PM
If Battier is guarding Dirk who is guarding Marion? Zbo? I would love to see that matchup

gwrighter
05-10-2011, 02:57 PM
OKC

yes, the athleticism of Russell n Maynor will defend the P&R better than the lakers did. More youth, easier to close out on the shooters. i would employ a diff tactic with dirk than the lakeshow. similar to what the hawks did with dwight. Let dirk go off for 40 n close out on the all-time 3pt. shooters that Dallas has on the perimeter.

I wanna see how Ibaka does against dirk, or collison. obviously none can guard him but Ibaka has the athleticism n collison has the mobility to put forth a decent effort.

flclfanman
05-10-2011, 04:20 PM
If Battier is guarding Dirk who is guarding Marion? Zbo? I would love to see that matchup

Remember this is 2011 Marion, not 05-06, BIG difference.