PDA

View Full Version : LeBron James "********" Comment

avrpatsfan
05-08-2011, 07:23 AM
I heard some commentators on the radio talking about this. Some woman reporter asked a dumb question and Lebron James muttered under his breath "That's ********" I don't think this is a huge deal, but this still isn't something a high profile athlete should ever say. Here's a link to the article and the video.

LeBron James was handling his usual postgame media duties when a question directed towards Dwyane Wade bothered him. Wade was asked about people remarking that he was playing dirty (as evidenced by the Rajon Rondo dislocated elbow play). LeBron was visibly bothered by the line of thinking and muttered under his breath, “that’s ********.” The microphone below him caught his utterance, which you can see in this video:
Source: http://larrybrownsports.com/basketball/lebron-james-********-video-incensed-by-suggestion-heat-playing-dirty/67316

J-Relo
05-08-2011, 07:26 AM
that was retarted. nothing special.

Fnom11
05-08-2011, 08:16 AM
So famous people can't say ****** now? When the hell did that happen?

heattiltheend94
05-08-2011, 08:34 AM
I have no problem with this becuase he wasn't literally calling anyone a ****** or making fun of people with mental disabilities. He was merely saying that it was ridiculous in thinking that DWade purposely hurt Rondo

sep11ie
05-08-2011, 08:49 AM
Honestly, I hate the Heat and Lebron, but this thread is ********. He's still a 27 year old dude. I'm 28 and still say my friends or other people are ********. Stop trolling.

TO to the CHI
05-08-2011, 08:59 AM
Honestly, I hate the Heat and Lebron, but this thread is ********. He's still a 27 year old dude. I'm 28 and still say my friends or other people are ********. Stop trolling.

That anecdote makes you look bad. It doesn't help defend Lebron.

This is another example of Lebron not realizing that everything he does is going to be magnified immensely and that he needs to be cognizant of that. It might be just about being pc, but this will end up making news and making him look bad in many peoples eyes.

avrpatsfan
05-08-2011, 09:03 AM
But you're not a superstar in the NBA with a national spotlight. I know he wasn't meaning to do anything bad, but the media is brutal and that's not something a public figure should do.

todu82
05-08-2011, 09:08 AM
People are to sensitive these days. Lebron said nothing wrong here. Give me a break. If he had called a Celtics player that then it would be different.

Byronicle
05-08-2011, 09:08 AM
thing is the problem is that this word does really really hurt the mentally disabled whether or not its directed to them

and when you have kids that look up to you, thinking this word is ok and end up calling a kid with mental disabilities out on the playground the word "********"

also saying the word ********, you never know when there is someone around who could have mental disabilities that may overhear what you said or someone who has family/friends that have these problems who do take offense to it

bottom line is you shouldn't use this word, just like how people use the word rape. i worked at a daycare, and there are kids who have mental disabilities and when you sit down and talk to them, they truly get hurt when they hear this word whether or not its directed to them or not

jp611
05-08-2011, 09:15 AM
Lebron is still just a big dumb kid... he never got to grow up in a normal childhood cuz his crackhead mom, and he always says dumb ****... he needs to go to some PR classes over the summer, but he won't, he'll just chill

RSA27
05-08-2011, 09:28 AM
Midgets and Dwarfs everywhere think it's ******** that we are not allowed to use the term ******** anymore.

clferg75
05-08-2011, 09:38 AM
******** = Slow or weak in mental developent.

The question was weak in mental development. If you thought the play was dirty your basketball iq is ********

X12Celtics3
05-08-2011, 09:40 AM
Its not that big of a deal, because I understand that this phrase is unfortunately often used like "thats stupid" or "thats absurd", but I would still like to think that high-profile athletes such as himself could make a better attempt at at least pretending to be a good role model for the numerous children who look up to him.

prodigy
05-08-2011, 09:43 AM
Well Lebron is ******** so he's aloud to say it.

PrettyBoyJ
05-08-2011, 09:44 AM
his choice of words where not wise.. anything you say you will be executed by the media.. Now LBJ might lose his mentally disable fans too

Crackadalic
05-08-2011, 09:47 AM
Why are people sensitive about words? What happen to sticks and stones may break my bones but words may never harm me? Now we got cyber bulling as the main focus instead of actual bulling.:facepalm:

Geargo Wallace
05-08-2011, 09:48 AM
yeah Geargo, lets not stoop down to Lebron's level. I don't have family or friends with mental disabilities but there are kids at my daycare who do, and when you witnessed them getting picked on and the word that is used is "********", there needs to be an end to that word in the first place

and these high profile athletes are really not helping the cause, especially when these guys are always at charity events and helping their communities that focus on mental disabilities, you think since they probably have met many kids that are handicapped that they be a little more careful with the words they use

Okay Oprah, maybe ppl should just chill. What LeBron said was not that bad. ppl go around saying ishh is 'gay' all the time. Don't act like you never said it. ppl need to stop being so sensitive about tiny things like this cuz it's really not a big deal, and LeBron isn't the first or last to say these words.

SteBO
05-08-2011, 09:48 AM
I understand what many of you are saying, and "********" isn't normally something a professional athlete would say. More like "that's ridiculous", or "that's absurd". But is this really worth making a big fuss over? No, it isn't. Just another thing for LeBron haters to drool over.

Sportfan
05-08-2011, 09:49 AM
I don't see a problem at all.

It's not like he's Obama guys, he's an athlete. You're not expected to be politically correct 100% of the time

X12Celtics3
05-08-2011, 09:51 AM
Okay Oprah, maybe ppl should just chill. What LeBron said was not that bad. ppl go around saying ishh is 'gay' all the time. Don't act like you never said it. ppl need to stop being so sensitive about tiny things like this cuz it's really not a big deal, and LeBron isn't the first or last to say these words.

Just because people use phrases like "thats ********" or "thats gay" all the time doesn't really mean that it should be acceptable behavior. I agree that its not that big of a deal, Lebron can talk however he wants and its pretty normal to use those phrases, but I feel like such high-profile athletes should try to monitor their language a bit more.

marlinsfan24
05-08-2011, 09:51 AM
Yes Lebron shouldn't be saying things like this with kids looking up to him. But the article clearly says that he was trying to say it under his breath. It's a small hiccup for Lebron. Worse comments have been made. This does not require it's own thread.

Geargo Wallace
05-08-2011, 09:55 AM
Just because people use phrases like "thats ********" or "thats gay" all the time doesn't really mean that it should be acceptable behavior. I agree that its not that big of a deal, Lebron can talk however he wants and its pretty normal to use those phrases, but I feel like such high-profile athletes should try to monitor their language a bit more.

This. But maybe we shouldn't be so hypocritical when we all say the same ****

Draco
05-08-2011, 09:55 AM
It's a big deal insomuchas no one should perpetuate what is apparently an 'acceptable prejudice' for a lot of people.. unless of course, that's the kind of person you want to be.

Lebron is a fricken mindless orc.. forgive his trespasses for he knows not what he does.

Byronicle
05-08-2011, 10:00 AM

yeah I use the word gay all the time, so does the gay folk down in toronto, if they can use that word why can't I? i won't use the word gay when i know millions of people are watching me either and i don't use that word infront of children. the other difference is would a mentally handicap person use the word ********?

and like I said, it really is sad that these athletes use these words even though they get involved into events that try to dissolve these kind of things.

nekosquare
05-08-2011, 10:01 AM
I'm surprised nobody has brought up the Kobe issue from earlier this year. I hope Lebron takes a play out of Kobe's playbook, owns up, and uses a mistake to make a positive change. I wonder whether advocacy groups will pick up on this. IMO it's an offensive word. It's a word we shouldn't use. If he apologizes and recognizes that some may find what he said offensive. I'll gain respect for him. If he doesn't, I'll be disappointed in him.

On the subject of the question: I think the reporter asked a fair question, but I think she worded it very poorly in part because she got nervous. The question should have been: "Dwayne, some people are calling your the Rondo play dirty. Tell us what happened in your eyes."

NYtilIdie
05-08-2011, 10:03 AM
I mean Kobe said f*g so I guess we can call it even :rolleyes:

Byronicle
05-08-2011, 10:05 AM
Yes Lebron shouldn't be saying things like this with kids looking up to him. But the article clearly says that he was trying to say it under his breath. It's a small hiccup for Lebron. Worse comments have been made. This does not require it's own thread.

yet all it takes is a hiccup to echo across the news. thing is these athletes know how things get blown up. if you are being paid millions of $ to be role models and proper entertainers which essentially that is what they are, then you should be careful. He could've used many words, stupid..silly..next question...dumb, hell he could've even said that question was ****!

John Walls Era
05-08-2011, 10:06 AM
Everyone uses the word "******" these days. Nothing wrong imo.

X12Celtics3
This. But maybe we shouldn't be so hypocritical when we all say the same ****

Not everybody uses those phrases. I personally do not, despite them being very popular among my peers... then again, when my friends say "thats ********" I don't even think twice about it, but when Lebron James does I type of forum posts about how he should think about how it might affect people... I guess that is a bit hypocritical, in a way.

Byronicle
I'm surprised nobody has brought up the Kobe issue from earlier this year. I hope Lebron takes a play out of Kobe's playbook, owns up, and uses a mistake to make a positive change. I wonder whether advocacy groups will pick up on this. IMO it's an offensive word. It's a word we shouldn't use. If he apologizes and recognizes that some may find what he said offensive. I'll gain respect for him. If he doesn't, I'll be disappointed in him.

because the gay community can speak up for themselves. the mentally handicap most of the time cannot and need others for support

Byronicle
05-08-2011, 10:09 AM
Everyone uses the word "******" these days. Nothing wrong imo.

thats cause we grew up in a time when it wasn't that big of a deal, this word was once an accepted term

but go to elementary schools and they are always having seminars on bullying and words, just like how they are trying to promote the green approach in the youngins these days, i remember growing up not having a clue about global warming until high school but they are trying to educate children when they are young nowadays

hugepatsfan
05-08-2011, 10:29 AM
It's really not a big deal. It's obviously inappropriate to say it in this setting (or really any, but this in particular for obvious reasons). But it's not the end of the world. And I hate Lebron as much as the next guy...

Scheck
05-08-2011, 10:33 AM
Lebron is still just a big dumb kid... he never got to grow up in a normal childhood cuz his crackhead mom, and he always says dumb ****... he needs to go to some PR classes over the summer, but he won't, he'll just chill

What the hell?

I agree that he should not have said "that's ********", but you know when he said it he didn't mean it in a way to be offensive to mentally handicapped people.

But you are right, I am sure this summer instead of doing anything productive Lebron will probably just chill.

balla4life22
05-08-2011, 10:34 AM
I'm a celtics fan and i thought it was funny haha. Just like anyone saying "that's gay" or whatever. No big deal

stawka
05-08-2011, 10:35 AM
So let's crucify Kobe because he said "Ref are you blind?" because there are blind people out there

Let's burn Rose alive because he said "wow that's crazy", because there are crazy people in this world!

Stop with the hate ladies, it's getting old now

Agar81
05-08-2011, 10:52 AM
Kobe's outburst landed him a fine and I wouldn't be surprised if this lands LeBron a fine as well (although a really small on at that). David Stern is all about the "good image", and like it or not, this doesn't depict the message that he wants the millions of fans to receive.

marques724
05-08-2011, 10:54 AM
When did this country get so damn sensitive. Lets just take every word out of the dictionary that may hurt someone's feelings. Lets stop saying fat,stupid, ugly, and every word that offends someone.

BcEuAbRsS
05-08-2011, 11:03 AM
So Lebron says the same thing that everybody on this site has said??? This is kinda reaching...

justinnum1
05-08-2011, 11:13 AM
:yawn:

MacFitz92
05-08-2011, 11:16 AM
Yea, its actually a big deal if you have family members who are mentally handicapped

No, it's still not a big deal. People just want a reason to fuss.

And I can't stand the guy.

ChitownSports16
05-08-2011, 11:19 AM
Yea, its actually a big deal if you have family members who are mentally handicapped

I have an aunt is mentally handicapped. Soo what, big deal? I say ****** all the time. I just make sure I dont use it in front of her or mentally handicapped people.

Byronicle
05-08-2011, 11:25 AM
I have an aunt is mentally handicapped. Soo what, big deal? I say ****** all the time. I just make sure I dont use it in front of her or mentally handicapped people.

So what you are actually saying is that mentally handicapped people don't watch basketball? Or children who don't know any better and look up to Lebron don't like basketball either? Because by that type of logic it is ok to say as long as you know none of them are around correct?

People keep using the "gay" comment as a comparison. The difference is that a majority of mentality disabled people are INCAPABLE of defending themselves unlike other people, i.e. you see many many gay activists but how many handicapped activist do we see? They need others for support, people need to stop comparing the two

Byronicle
05-08-2011, 11:29 AM
So Lebron says the same thing that everybody on this site has said??? This is kinda reaching...

you're right, which is why the majority of the people in this thread do not think its a big deal.

ChitownSports16
05-08-2011, 11:35 AM
So what you are actually saying is that mentally handicapped people don't watch basketball? Or children who don't know any better and look up to Lebron don't like basketball either? Because by that type of logic it is ok to say as long as you know none of them are around correct?

People keep using the "gay" comment as a comparison. The difference is that a majority of mentality disabled people are INCAPABLE of defending themselves unlike other people, i.e. you see many many gay activists but how many handicapped activist do we see? They need others for support, people need to stop comparing the two

your acting like he said it during the game... Do you think children or handicapped people actually sit here or anywhere and read what players say after games? People are just soooo dam sensitive. The word ******** now in days just means no more then the word Dumb.

TO to the CHI
05-08-2011, 11:36 AM

I for one make every effort not to use that word and have called out other people on this site for doing so. Call me hypersenstive if you want, but don't suggest for a second that I am hypocritical. I don't think it is appropriate to be used as LeBron did or as people on this site do. But that is just my opinion.

Ray_R
05-08-2011, 11:37 AM
yeah that's really fair man... you ever think of issues like poverty? Addiction?
That really isn't an excuse. I've lived in some of the worst parts of Chicago and my mom was a single mother of three and she never became a crack head or an addict.

I think the thread is a little far fethced and could care what Lebron says anymore but I think its fair to have a thread about Kobe calling people ****** we can atleast have one about LeBron. I wonder if Stern would fine him or it was just a one time thing.

Ray_R
05-08-2011, 11:39 AM
When did this country get so damn sensitive. Lets just take every word out of the dictionary that may hurt someone's feelings. Lets stop saying fat,stupid, ugly, and every word that offends someone.

:cry: WTF man I thought we were cool.

daleja424
05-08-2011, 11:40 AM
THIS THREAD is ********!

The word ****** literally means having below average intelligence.

The insinuation that the Wade and Rondo play was dirty demonstrated below average basketball intelligence (at least in Lebron's opinion), so there is no problem with Lebron using that word. HE USED THE WORD CORRECTLY.

It would have been offensive if he had said something like, "That's gay," b/c then he would be perpetuating the whole gay=dumb thing... but he didn't. He used the word correctly and there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING wrong with what he said.

You all need to get off his jock.

Saying a word correctly is not offensive. If I say someone I know got raped, rape victims do not take offense to the fact that I used the word. If I say that my favorite team got raped in a trade, THAT is offensive, b/c it makes light of what the word rape means. Using a word in and of itself is not offensive, it depends on how you use the word and what meaning you intended the word to have.

Evolution23
05-08-2011, 11:41 AM
******** thread

Seguin
05-08-2011, 11:43 AM
So famous people can't say ****** now? When the hell did that happen?

Unfortunately, this, along with "bullying" is being cracked down on... I don't agree with it one bit, but when I heard about this I knew someone would make a big deal out of it.

The fact that he's a star will just make it worse, at least in the public eye. People are looking for things they do wrong.

hotpotato1092
05-08-2011, 11:45 AM
I don't think he should have said it, but my reaction to this is the same as my reaction to the Kobe slur. It was a heat of the moment type thing, it happens.

Byronicle
05-08-2011, 11:45 AM
your acting like he said it during the game... Do you think children or handicapped people actually sit here or anywhere and read what players say after games? People are just soooo dam sensitive. The word ******** now in days just means no more then the word Dumb.

"read" no. this was said in the postgame on tv, they don't need to read but to just listen. with that said, in the postgame every little detail is being noted so deliberately using the word ******** in a scenario where you know its going to be blown out of proportion just raises questions about his intellect

and i hope you are not assuming that that children and handicap people as those that don't take in interest in post game stuff. not all children and handicap people have low attention spans.

k.smith904
05-08-2011, 11:47 AM
in this day and age, you can't just say ******.

One of the smart people who are paid to protect Lebron and his empire should have told him that at some point.

Byronicle
05-08-2011, 11:50 AM
I don't think he should have said it, but my reaction to this is the same as my reaction to the Kobe slur. It was a heat of the moment type thing, it happens.

wasn't that slur said in the actual game?

this was said when all was said and done, when reporters are looking for things to talk about

Draco
05-08-2011, 11:51 AM
THIS THREAD is ********!

The word ****** literally means having below average intelligence.

The insinuation that the Wade and Rondo play was dirty demonstrated below average basketball intelligence (at least in Lebron's opinion), so there is no problem with Lebron using that word. HE USED THE WORD CORRECTLY.

It would have been offensive if he had said something like, "That's gay," b/c then he would be perpetuating the whole gay=dumb thing... but he didn't. He used the word correctly and there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING wrong with what he said.

You all need to get off his jock.

Saying a word correctly is not offensive. If I say someone I know got raped, rape victims do not take offense to the fact that I used the word. If I say that my favorite team got raped in a trade, THAT is offensive, b/c it makes light of what the word rape means. Using a word in and of itself is not offensive, it depends on how you use the word and what meaning you intended the word to have.

It was clearly a pejorative use of the word. You're also not qualified to judge whether the word is offensive.

Kakaroach
05-08-2011, 11:51 AM
Just like when Kobe had the gay remark. Pro athletes just have to be more careful. People are way too sensitive these days, but thats just the world we live in.

Muttman73
05-08-2011, 11:52 AM
LeBron is a moron, not exactly news

fadedmario
05-08-2011, 11:54 AM
All the hatred for the Heat on here is actually making me pull for them a little. Good luck Miami!

daleja424
05-08-2011, 11:54 AM
It was clearly a pejorative use of the word. You're also not qualified to judge whether the word is offensive.

LOL...yet everyone else in this thread is? What a JOKE!

It was a DUMB question, what word could he use that means dumb that doesn't have a negative connotation??? Being dumb IS A NEGATIVE THING!

Byronicle
05-08-2011, 11:56 AM
Just like when Kobe had the gay remark. Pro athletes just have to be more careful. People are way too sensitive these days, but thats just the world we live in.

but a gay person can defend himself. mental handicapped people most of the time cannot or even communicate their feelings. that is the difference between the 2 and the fact that these athletes are role models to children and that children really do mimic things that they think is acceptable is a reality as well

daleja424
05-08-2011, 11:56 AM

...except that Kobe used a gay slur and he used it to convey a meaning it doesn't have. Calling someone a "f*g" with the implied meaning that they are an idiot IS offensive. Calling someone a ****** with the implied meaning that they are have a below average IQ really isnt...

Draco
05-08-2011, 11:57 AM

It was a DUMB question, what word could he use that means dumb that doesn't have a negative connotation??? Being dumb IS A NEGATIVE THING!

Google self advocacy groups protesting the word and you'll find the group of people who have the right to judge whether the word is offensive.

Byronicle
05-08-2011, 11:59 AM

i cant believe you are trying to play this one off

it is a word that has a negative connotation towards mentally handicap people.

dumb is a word that has a negative connotation towards dumb. why didn't he just say dumb? or stupid? he could've but he didn't

the fact that handicap people do not like the world but a majority are incapable of defending themselves, unlike gay people who can defend themselves, is the reason why others speak up for those who cannot.

Broadwayjoe NY
05-08-2011, 12:01 PM
What the hell?

I agree that he should not have said "that's ********", but you know when he said it he didn't mean it in a way to be offensive to mentally handicapped people.

But you are right, I am sure this summer instead of doing anything productive Lebron will probably just chill.

So what you're saying is that as long as he didn't mean it to be offensive, he gets a free slide?? So in that case, if any player simply utters an ethnic slur under his breath, such as N***er, Ch**K, G**k etc., that'd be perfectly acceptable behavior?? I mean, he didn't mean it in a belittling way...other than the fact he used a derogatory term to equate with stupid/ridiculous. And if you say they aren't the same, tell me how?? People with IDD have been persecuted and killed going back hundreds, if not thousands of years.

Why wouldn't children or adults with IDD sit on here?? They can't enjoy sports talk either?? Are you just 14 or that naive and uneducated?? What you're saying would be the equivalent of me saying just because you're a young "insteryourethnicityhere" you obviously aren't educated about the IDD culture, because your people don't "sit here or anywhere and read or actually care about educated..." You do realize there are individuals with aspergers or other levels of intellectual disabilities who are absolutely brilliant and hold multiple masters and phDs??

This just further magnifies how young and immature the crowd here on PSD is. This isn't PC for the sake of PC. Taking a few derogatory words out of your vocabulary shouldn't be that big of a deal, but it's situations like these that just show it's no wonder our the average person in our society's vocabulary has shrank by almost half in the last century.

nekosquare
05-08-2011, 12:01 PM
It may not be a big deal to the masses, but I hope the masses recognize it is a big deal to some. That's why some people hope Lebron would care enough about that, to 1) not say it in the future and 2) apologize to those he offended.

Are you hypocritical for calling Lebron wrong when you have said the same yourself? Yes. But maybe the POSITIVE in this discussion is you will think twice before making such a reference again! That's why this thread is valuable and valid.

People have every right to be offended and those calling it ignorant to strive for respect should think about the position being defended.

Byronicle
05-08-2011, 12:02 PM
...except that Kobe used a gay slur and he used it to convey a meaning it doesn't have. Calling someone a "f*g" with the implied meaning that they are an idiot IS offensive. Calling someone a ****** with the implied meaning that they are have a below average IQ really isnt...

who is to say that lebron was using the word with the implied meaning that she was an idiot

Rajon_Rambo
05-08-2011, 12:03 PM

dude your vagina is showing... seriously america is becoming a country filled with pussys!!! He didnt not call someone that had a disability ******** thats the only way i could see that statement being wrong. if all of america was like you osama would still be alive.. better yet we would be talking with British accents

OG "Dee" LOCc
05-08-2011, 12:04 PM
i hate lebron and this is stupid or ********

people use the word all the time ive heard charles barkley say it on tnt a couple times too

clearly its not the CORRECT thing to say but is it something to get angered about? no.

dbroncos78087
05-08-2011, 12:04 PM
If you dont think this warrants a thread then do your part and dont reply to it, then it will drift away into the background. By commenting about how dumb you think it is, you bump it up and bring it to other people's attention.

TylerSL
05-08-2011, 12:05 PM
wow people go through such great lengths to complain about something these days......

kingkenny01
05-08-2011, 12:06 PM
i love how everyone highlights the bad , but when lebron has good sportsmanship and askes rajon rondo if he is alright and hopes that the injury is not long term no one talk about it you all are talking about setting an good example for children well lebron did that

nekosquare
05-08-2011, 12:06 PM

Unintelligent ?
Poorly worded ?
I disagree with the premise of your ?
Misguided ?
Awkward ?
bad ?
antagonistic ?
hostile ?
stupid ?
moronic ?
foolish ?

have I made my point yet?

nekosquare
05-08-2011, 12:07 PM
i love how everyone highlights the bad , but when lebron has good sportsmanship and askes rajon rondo if he is alright and hopes that the injury is not long term no one talk about it you all are talking about setting an good example for children well lebron did that

didn't know he did that. That's a nice thing. I'm glad you wrote this.

daleja424
05-08-2011, 12:08 PM
i cant believe you are trying to play this one off

it is a word that has a negative connotation towards mentally handicap people.

dumb is a word that has a negative connotation towards dumb. why didn't he just say dumb? or stupid? he could've but he didn't

the fact that handicap people do not like the world but a majority are incapable of defending themselves, unlike gay people who can defend themselves, is the reason why others speak up for those who cannot.

He didnt use it as a noun though. He didn't call someone a ******. He said that a statement that was made was ******** (ie lacked intelligence). The only people offended by the use of the word are the people looking to be offended. Most people would shrug their shoulders and know exactly what he meant without even equating his remarked to the mentally handicapped. It is only people like you that try to bring the mentally handicapped into this argument to create turmoil where there is none.

daleja424
05-08-2011, 12:09 PM
Unintelligent ?
Poorly worded ?
I disagree with the premise of your ?
Misguided ?
Awkward ?
bad ?
antagonistic ?
hostile ?
stupid ?
moronic ?
foolish ?

have I made my point yet?

no...b/c nearly all of those statements are a) negative AND b) not statements that are part of the average American's daily vocabulary.

Broadwayjoe NY
05-08-2011, 12:11 PM

This is such faulty logic. The R-word, just like an ethnic slur, is an extremely disparaging and offensive word no matter what context it's used in. It'd be apropos to calling someone of color the n-word. Its definition is being used correctly, but I think we can all agree it's not even close to being appropriate in modern society.

gotoHcarolina52
05-08-2011, 12:13 PM
Perhaps he should have used "imbecilic," or "asinine," or "moronic," or "stupid" instead. But, alas, even then we'd still find the imbecilic politically correct morons gathering their torches and pitchforks in their inflamed call for LeBron's head.

An irrational propensity to find fault in innocuous statements has yet to be medically documented as symptomatic of mental retardation. But I do not doubt that one day our descendants will wisely discover that one of the largest contingents of retards known to man are those who suffer from PCS--Political Correctness Syndrome.

k.smith904
05-08-2011, 12:13 PM
no...b/c nearly all of those statements are a) negative AND b) not statements that are part of the average American's daily vocabulary.

A. So what if it's negative? That's the point Lebron was trying to make, but he didn't have to use a word that disparages mentally handicapped people.

B. So Lebron gets to act like an idiot because he has a small vocabulary? Cmonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn mannnnnnnnnnn!

210Don
05-08-2011, 12:15 PM
missed a good thread alotta deleted post

k.smith904
05-08-2011, 12:15 PM
Perhaps he should have used "imbecilic," or "asinine," or "moronic," or "stupid" instead. But, alas, even then we'd still find the imbecilic politically correct morons gathering their torches and pitchforks in their inflamed call for LeBron's head.

An irrational propensity to find fault in innocuous statements has yet been medically documented as symptomatic of mental retardation. But I do not doubt that one day our descendants will wisely discover that one of the largest contingents of retards known to man are those who suffer from PCS--Political Correctness Syndrome.

what?

I don't think anyone is claiming that if you say the word ******, its a symptom of retardation...

I think you confused yourself trying to use big words...

Draco
05-08-2011, 12:16 PM
He didnt use it as a noun though. He didn't call someone a ******. He said that a statement that was made was ******** (ie lacked intelligence). The only people offended by the use of the word are the people looking to be offended. Most people would shrug their shoulders and know exactly what he meant without even equating his remarked to the mentally handicapped. It is only people like you that try to bring the mentally handicapped into this argument to create turmoil where there is none.

No, the people who are offended by the use of the word are the people protesting the use of the word. Your standards don't apply here and you don't get that.

n83417
05-08-2011, 12:16 PM
I have been saying for years, LeBron James is a dumb guy. He is just not smart. Have you ever listened to his post-game interviews. He sounds dumb.

godolphins
05-08-2011, 12:17 PM
Who cares!!!
There should be an age limit on PSD, +18

k.smith904
05-08-2011, 12:19 PM

So if I told someone they were being nigg3rish, black people need not get offended, because I didn't use the slur as a noun?

wtf? your logic is mind-boggling.

daleja424
05-08-2011, 12:20 PM
Do I think the word choice was the best? NO. NO. NO.

Do I think that muttering the word ******** to himself in response to a dumb question is offensive? HELL NO!

The problem here is a) the people who decided that this was news and ran with a story about lebron muttering something to himself b/c they clearly have an anti lebron agenda and b) the people that are trying to take some sort of political stance in this thread based on this muttering...

fadedmario
05-08-2011, 12:20 PM
Who cares!!!
There should be an age limit on PSD, +18

18 - or 21 even

Rivera
05-08-2011, 12:22 PM
lebron shouldnt call any reporter or any reporters question ********

his immaturity continues to show more and more and more

RZZZA
You can't say anything like that in the media these days. you can't say something is gay, you can't say something is ********, you can't say someone is a sissy, or else you'll get all these various groups on your back and will have to issue a public apology.

k.smith904
Do I think the word choice was the best? NO. NO. NO.

Do I think that muttering the word ******** to himself in response to a dumb question is offensive? HELL NO!

The problem here is a) the people who decided that this was news and ran with a story about lebron muttering something to himself b/c they clearly have an anti lebron agenda and b) the people that are trying to take some sort of political stance in this thread based on this muttering...

Yeah, he simply muttered it to himself in front of a couple dozen microphones, cameras, and reporters.

daleja424
05-08-2011, 12:23 PM
So if I told someone they were being nigg3rish, black people need not get offended, because I didn't use the slur as a noun?

wtf? your logic is mind-boggling.

thats not a word... so your point is moot...

the word "******" is not a slur unless it is used as such! Go look around your house... I am sure you can find 15 products that have flame RETARDants in them. Unless you are directing the word at a mentally handicapped person for the purpose of belittling them, it isn't a slur.

fishfan79
05-08-2011, 12:23 PM
to the world and media

grow a pair and stop whining

Draco
05-08-2011, 12:25 PM

the word "******" is not a slur unless it is used as such! Go look around your house...I am sure you can find 15 products that have flame RETARDants in them. Unless you are directing the word at a mentally handicapped person for the purpose of belittling them, it isn't a slur.

And that would clearly not be a pejorative use of the word.. your reading comprehension is pathetic.

k.smith904
05-08-2011, 12:27 PM

the word "******" is not a slur unless it is used as such! Go look around your house... I am sure you can find 15 products that have flame RETARDants in them. Unless you are directing the word at a mentally handicapped person for the purpose of belittling them, it isn't a slur.

And I'm sure when Lebron said "thats ********" he was talking about a recently extinguished fire in the vicinity.

just stop. :facepalm:

RZZZA
05-08-2011, 12:28 PM
LOL at all the heat fans falling head over heels trying to defend lebron

daleja424
05-08-2011, 12:28 PM
have you even seen the video?

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2011/5/8/2160110/lebron-james-thats-********-press-conference-heat-celtics-nba-playoffs

Unless you are sitting there waiting for him to say it you wouldn't even know he used the word...

This is such a NON STORY that I had a hard time even finding it. The story is only run on such cites as sbnation.com, worldstarhiphop.com, and bleacherreport.com

In fact one of the very first search results that pops up is THIS FORUM, b/c this thread is one of the very few places where people have even noticed he mumbled under his breathe.

gotoHcarolina52
05-08-2011, 12:29 PM
what?

I don't think anyone is claiming that if you say the word ******, its a symptom of retardation...

I think you confused yourself trying to use big words...

I feel (nay, fear!) for you, my child.

RZZZA
05-08-2011, 12:31 PM
LOL, just stop heat fans. its not a big deal but you make it into a bigger deal by trying to defend lebron so much for saying something he shouldnt have said on TV. end of story.

daleja424
05-08-2011, 12:31 PM
And I'm sure when Lebron said "thats ********" he was talking about a recently extinguished fire in the vicinity.

just stop. :facepalm:

obviously not... my point was simply that the word itself is not on par with some of the other slurs you pointed out b/c those other words, like the N-word for instance, have no meanings which aren't offensive...

RZZZA
05-08-2011, 12:32 PM
obviously not... my point was simply that the word itself is not on par with some of the other slurs you pointed out b/c those other words, like the N-word for instance has no meaning which isn't offensive...

N-word can be used as a term of endearment

:eyebrow:

k.smith904
have you even seen the video?

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2011/5/8/2160110/lebron-james-thats-********-press-conference-heat-celtics-nba-playoffs

Unless you are sitting there waiting for him to say it you wouldn't even know he used the word...

This is such a NON STORY that I had a hard time even finding it. The story is only run on such cites as sbnation.com, worldstarhiphop.com, and bleacherreport.com

In fact one of the very first search results that pops up is THIS FORUM, b/c this thread is one of the very few places where people have even noticed he mumbled under his breathe.

So your new excuse is that its not a big deal because the media hasn't blown up about it?

Yeah, now's a good time to take a break from the ever-enlightening NBA form.

Sadds The Gr8
even i hate the miami cheat but who cares? he's clearly wrong cuz wade did it on purpose, but who gives a **** if he said ********. if he was saying it to somebody in a wheelchair or something then this would be a story.

daleja424
05-08-2011, 12:34 PM
anyways, you all can continue to compaign for the rights of the mentally handicapped all you want, but lets be honest here... you just really don't like Lebron. You folks are the same people that love it when someone bad mouths lebron but bash lebron when he fires back. Its okay, just continue to be mad...if fuels the HEAT...

k.smith904
05-08-2011, 12:34 PM
obviously not... my point was simply that the word itself is not on par with some of the other slurs you pointed out b/c those other words, like the N-word for instance, have no meanings which aren't offensive...

But in this situation, it doesn't matter if the words have different meanings.

Its clear what Lebron meant, and the word he used is offensive to a lot of people in today's society. Period.

daleja424
05-08-2011, 12:36 PM
But in this situation, it doesn't matter if the words have different meanings.

Its clear what Lebron meant, and the word he used is offensive to a lot of people in today's society. Period.

everything is offensive to someone... That is the world we live in. Maybe no one should speak anymore... just in case...

RZZZA
05-08-2011, 12:37 PM
everything is offensive to someone... That is the world we live in. Maybe no one should speak anymore... just in case...

well, you definitely shouldn't speak anymore if all you're going to do is defend lebron for saying something he shouldnt have said to reporters, with cameras pointed at him.

LOL

k.smith904
05-08-2011, 12:38 PM
anyways, you all can continue to compaign for the rights of the mentally handicapped all you want, but lets be honest here... you just really don't like Lebron. You folks are the same people that love it when someone bad mouths lebron but bash lebron when he fires back. Its okay, just continue to be mad...if fuels the HEAT...

If Rose got on national TV and called a reporter's question "********," I'd be just as disappointed.

Lebron has proven all season how immature he is. From the tweets about the Cavs, to whining about how its the heat vs. the world, the list goes on and on. Just man up, play the game that's made you a millionaire, and answer questions for 15 minutes after the game. Don't pout because you lost and take your frustration out on the media.

kbyeeee

blastmasta26
05-08-2011, 12:38 PM
I think he should have been a little more careful with saying that, but it doesn't really matter. Not a big deal.

TO to the CHI
05-08-2011, 12:55 PM
The bottom line I suppose is that LeBron used a politically incorrect word, but almost certainly meant no harm by it. I think it was a bad choice of words and inappropriate in the context, but I think by now everyone should just realize that LeBron is the best basketball player on the planet, but that doesn't make him a perfect person. I criticized his use of the word in this thread and I hate when anyone uses that word. It is offensive in my opinion. But the reality is that I have never accused LeBron of being smart, so I don't know why I would be surprised that he would say something insensitive, offensive, or without thinking.

Chi StateOfMind
05-08-2011, 01:00 PM
Who cares what he said. Not that big of a deal.

Cano4prez
05-08-2011, 01:12 PM
This thread is a joke right? Somebody please tell me this is a joke

Cano4prez
05-08-2011, 01:28 PM
It's just ridiculous if someone like Zach Randolph said this there wouldn't be a thread and no one would give a ****

RZZZA
05-08-2011, 01:29 PM
true...but it would still be wrong if anybody said it imo.

I'm not for political correctness but pro athletes have a certain responsibility...to watch what they say in public

jp611
05-08-2011, 01:30 PM
It's just ridiculous if someone like Zach Randolph said this there wouldn't be a thread and no one would give a ****

I don't care who says it, if I saw it on SportsCenter and it was Zach Randolph, Kobe Bryant, Lebron James, Derrick Rose... I don't care who it is, its an ignorant thing to say

BigAl25
05-08-2011, 01:33 PM
He Didn't really call the reporter "********' he said that about the question, so i have no idea what the big deal.

RZZZA
05-08-2011, 01:35 PM
pro athletes cant use the word "********" when the camera is pointed at them. Thats the big deal.

use your noodle.

Broadwayjoe NY
05-08-2011, 01:38 PM

Maybe it's not your fault; maybe your 14, maybe you're still in grade school and live in your parents house and have not really gotten out into the world, or maybe you're just that ignorant and uneducated, but there is absolutely a precedent for not saying this word and it is absolutely a huge deal in the IDD communnity. Take a look. http://www.r-word.org/ I happen to have a very good friend who words for BBI and does a lot of work for individuals with an intellectual or developmental disability and have sense not only realized how hurtful of a word it is, but have since stopped using it.

So by your logic, because the average American has an awful vocabulary, that should be reason for them to use such derogatory words?? Really? So, because the average person can't think past stupid, ridiculous and idiotic, they should be allowed to supplement the rest of those words with the r-word. Such sound logic.

An irrational propensity to find fault in innocuous statements has yet to be medically documented as symptomatic of mental retardation. But I do not doubt that one day our descendants will wisely discover that one of the largest contingents of retards known to man are those who suffer from PCS--Political Correctness Syndrome.

You have got to be outside your mind if you think there's no fault in perpetuating a word that hurts millions of people. Just take a second to delve into the IDD community and realize how hurtful this word is to them. Now, I understand what many are saying, he was saying the question was ******** and not an individual. However, as much as he should just not use the word, he has to be smart to not say it in front of the media. Or are you that small-minded that you think those with intellectual or developmental disabilities don't watch or care about sports??

It is most certainly a slur. When he says the word ******** in a negative way, he, intentionally or not, is putting a disparaging and insulting connotation on it.

The word may not have been designed for the specific notion of offending or belittling a group of individuals, but in today's society, it most certainly has become on par with those racial slurs.

Or just grow a larger vocabulary that doesn't have words that offend segments of people. If our society can't think of synonyms to replace say even 30 derogatory words, than America is in huge trouble. Various sources say that the average person's vocabulary is in the realm of 12-20 thousand words, putting those college grads at upwards of 25 thousand. Seems fairly trivial when you think about losing a few words.

The only people who complain about the word ****** aren't mentally handicapped.

Exactly. Oh, except for you know, the entire movement of people with IDD who are completely against it. But other than those hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people, you're spot on.

JB0B0
05-08-2011, 01:39 PM
Everything LeBron says nowadays is blown out of proportion. I guarantee we wouldn't have a thread about this if Joel Anthony said it.

Kenny
05-08-2011, 01:39 PM
Well Lebron is ******** so he's aloud to say it.

Coming from someone who doesn't know how to use the word "allowed" is comical to me.

godolphins
05-08-2011, 01:43 PM
Coming from someone who doesn't know how to use the word "allowed" is comical to me.

:laugh2:

JWO35
05-08-2011, 01:44 PM
If it was Joel Anthony no one would give a damn...

SwatTeam
05-08-2011, 01:44 PM
Kobe response to this thread: "bunch of f***ots"

Really, though I see this as Lebron trying to stay on level with Kobe. Kobe said a disparaging remark a few weeks ago and made national headlines. So Lebron, was like ****** that, I'm going to say something similar also cuz that's just ********. Now you are all talking about it. Lebron has won.

Stuckey#3
05-08-2011, 01:46 PM
his choice of words where not wise.. anything you say you will be executed by the media.. Now LBJ might lose his mentally disable fans too

That is only what? 90% of his fanbase?

Astronaut
05-08-2011, 01:47 PM
Probably 85% of American's use this word as a synonym for "stupid" today, I don't see how this is such a big deal..

Phenomenonsense
05-08-2011, 01:48 PM
Lebron is right. That was ********. Though, Wade DID purposefully keep Rondo away from the ball after he got D'd up hardcore. Maybe there was some frustration there, but he obviously wasn't trying to hurt him.

SteBO
05-08-2011, 01:56 PM
Here I am :)

I think I'll lock this now, since it isn't leading to any productive conversation. It's run its course....