PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Rubio not eager for NBA says agent

spreadeagle
05-07-2011, 09:02 PM
Welcome to the world of people competing for the ear of Ricky Rubio.

Minnesota Timberwolves officials will be over in Spain next week trying the time share style hard sell on the 20-year-old point guard, telling him now is the time to come to America. Rubio’s American agent echoes those thoughts.

His Spanish agent feels differently. Shocking, I know. The Spanish agent was interviewed in the Spanish publication Mundo Deportivo and said this (according to a Hoopshype translation).

“The club and the American agent keep telling Ricky Rubio that this is the right time (to go to the NBA) but he still has his doubts about it,” said Rubio’s agent in Spain, German Gonzalez

We can guess where Gonzalez falls on what is best for Rubio.

We still think Rubio would be wise to be hesitant. Simply for financial reasons. That and the whole next season in jeopardy because of a lockout thing.

If Rubio came over now, under the current CBA he would take more than a 50 percent pay cut to leave Barcelona, and he would be locked into that rookie deal for at least three and more likely five years. The new CBA may shrink the rookie scale a little, but the owners are more focused on free agent spending and cutbacks than the already flavorful rookie scale.

If Rubio waits a third year after his draft (one more season), he is no longer subject to the NBA rookie scale. This is what Tiago Splitter did to the Spurs — he waited it out then came over on his own financial terms.

Combine the lockout and the money, and the Spanish agent makes some sense. http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/07/ricky-rubio-not-eager-for-nba-move-spanish-agent-says/

Kobes a Killer
05-07-2011, 09:17 PM
I just wanna see what Rubio can do in the NBA already

Bulls_fan90
05-07-2011, 09:30 PM
Who cares. Rubio won't be anything special.

yfern328
05-07-2011, 09:31 PM
I'm definitely impartial on this issue.

While I do feel Ricky Rubio is being wise with his money due to the looming CBA, I think he's a little b-itch for not sucking it up and playing in Minnesota. That team could actually be good if he was on it. Also it makes Rubio look like he only cares about the money and marketing as opposed to the actual game.

That said, I'm glad this situation transpired because I'm still a bitter Knicks fan, and I hate that Minnesota drafted 2 PG and screwed the Knicks out of Curry or Rubio in the 2009 Draft.

yfern328
05-07-2011, 09:32 PM
double post

Sadds The Gr8
05-07-2011, 09:45 PM
he's not going to the twolves. i'd probably be willing to bet that if another team had his rights, he'd be in the NBA.

Raoul Duke
05-07-2011, 09:50 PM
So his choices are...

1. Pay for a buyout and take a massive paycut so that he can be stuck on a rookie scale salary for three years and come to the NBA when the union is telling the players to prepare for a lockout.

or...

2. Don't pay for a buyout, don't take a paycut, and come over next year when there isn't a looming lockout threat and the financial landscape has taken shape, and he'll be able to negotiate a better deal.

He'll obviously have to put a lot of thought into this decision.

NYKalltheway
05-07-2011, 10:01 PM
It'd be funny if he never came to the NBA :laugh:

NYKnicksAllDay
05-07-2011, 10:02 PM
I just wanna see what Rubio can do in the NBA already

Agreed. I wanna see what all this hype over him was about.

GeekInThePink
05-07-2011, 10:14 PM
For everyone who hates Rubio for not wanting to play in Minnesota, you better hate the NBA players who choose not to play in Toronto, it's the almost the same thing.

DwayneMVPwade
05-07-2011, 10:19 PM
more like not eager for minnesota

Kashmir13579
05-07-2011, 10:53 PM
he's an idiot for even entering the draft when he did. what did he think would happen?

Cubs Win
05-07-2011, 11:12 PM
For everyone who hates Rubio for not wanting to play in Minnesota, you better hate the NBA players who choose not to play in Toronto, it's the almost the same thing.

Not even close. They weren't all drafted by Toronto. Toronto has ZERO rights to them as players, where Minnesota has the rights to Rubio since they did draft him.

jon32
05-07-2011, 11:36 PM
Has anyone else read that the only way he'll play is if he's traded to Toronto? I read it on a site.....id post it but i dont know if its allowed?

spreadeagle
05-08-2011, 01:32 AM
Has anyone else read that the only way he'll play is if he's traded to Toronto? I read it on a site.....id post it but i dont know if its allowed?

Really! as a Raptor fan that is pretty cool and makes sense....Euro's love the T dot lol

Cano4prez
05-08-2011, 01:44 AM
Tired of hearing about him

bholly
05-08-2011, 02:29 AM
he's an idiot for even entering the draft when he did. what did he think would happen?

nobody thought he was going to minnesota, if that's what you mean. pretty much every mock had him in the top 3 or 4, many had him in the top 2. add in the fact that he declared before the lottery (and at that time washington held the pick that eventually drafted him), and minnesota was pretty unlikely.