PDA

View Full Version : The "New" team to beat.

dnewguy
05-07-2011, 12:43 PM
Which team in the playoffs is now the team to beat? We will not discount the Lakers but in all seriousness they most likely won't advance past the second round.

I'll have to go with the Mavs

Baller1
05-07-2011, 12:51 PM
As of now, it's looking like Dallas or Miami.

RZZZA
05-07-2011, 12:53 PM
it's ridiculous, a team has a good game and suddenly they're the "team to beat".

tomorrow it'll be someone else. People are so reactionary.

Hellcrooner
05-07-2011, 12:54 PM
Heat.

If Lakers werent mentally and physically exhausted + dealing with Injurys + Dealing apparently with internal chemistry problems between Pau and either Odom or Kobe ( is not known yet whose wife was the one that started the beef) mavs would be down 3-0.

Dont expect them to go past Thunder/grizz and they are definetly not wining the finals.

KnicksR4Real
05-07-2011, 12:55 PM
grizzlies could be in here

HuRRiCaNeS324
05-07-2011, 12:55 PM

Yet you voted for the Thunder lol

it's ridiculous, a team has a good game and suddenly they're the "team to beat".

Are you talking about the Mavs? Because if you are, its definitely not just Game 3 that makes them team to beat by many people.

LakersIn5
05-07-2011, 12:56 PM
obviously the mavs are the team to beat because the lakers have to beat them 4 straight times :D

RZZZA
05-07-2011, 12:57 PM
I'm not talking about any one team, I'm talking about the reactionary nature of people on this forum and on sports forums in general.

someone has a good game and its "omg is he top 10?! is he better than [insert great player here]?"

someone has a bad game "omg he sucks! whats wrong with him?"

a team has a good game and its "They're the team to beat!"

last week it was OKC, this week its the Heat and Mavs. Next week it'll be...I don't know...someone else.

justinnum1
05-07-2011, 12:57 PM

How is that the case? Chicago is not winning the pole...

RZZZA
05-07-2011, 12:59 PM
I'm not scared at all that the Mavs have handled the Lakers and the Heat have handled the Celtics and that OKc handled the Nuggets and that the Grizzlies handled the Spur.

they're not the "teams to beat" to me. Any team that my team faces is the "team to beat".

saintdrew
05-07-2011, 01:02 PM
Umm... how in the hell do you not include the Memphis Grizzlies in that poll?

jp611
05-07-2011, 01:03 PM
ZOMG... the bulls played good last night, they're obviously the team to beat

MrfadeawayJB
05-07-2011, 01:03 PM

+ 1:clap:

MrfadeawayJB
05-07-2011, 01:04 PM
I would go heat because everybody hates the big 3 outside of miami

HuRRiCaNeS324
I'm not talking about any one team, I'm talking about the reactionary nature of people on this forum and on sports forums in general.

someone has a good game and its "omg is he top 10?! is he better than [insert great player here]?"

last week it was OKC, this week its the Heat and Mavs. Next week it'll be...I don't know...someone else.

I agree, Zach Randolph is a perfect example. But this isn't the case in this thread. Not to be a homer, but the HEAT and Mavs are clearly the teams to beat. If you're talking about Chicago, which i think you are, this thread would have gone 18 pages because of angry Bull fans complaining about them not being on the list.

kingkenny01
heat are the team to beat not because they are winning but because they have three superstars

210Don
05-07-2011, 01:06 PM
no grizz wtf? there better than most those teams

RZZZA
05-07-2011, 01:06 PM
I agree, Zach Randolph is a perfect example. But this isn't the case in this thread. Not to be a homer, but the HEAT and Mavs are clearly the teams to beat. If you're talking about Chicago, which i think you are, this thread would have gone 18 pages because of angry Bull fans complaining about them not being on the list.

last week it was OKC that was the team to beat, what does OKC suck now all of a sudden? I still think they're gonna win the west.

Avenged
05-07-2011, 01:12 PM
The Heat without a doubt.

Followed closely by the Mavs.

Avenged
05-07-2011, 01:14 PM

This is true.

Notice how it never involves the Bulls though. :rolleyes:

RZZZA
05-07-2011, 01:15 PM
it involves the bulls too.

Rose goes through a little slump and its "omg, Rose can't shoot!"

Boozer plays injured and "omg, Boozer sucks! trade him! worst PF ever!"

just reactionary people all over the place.

look the Mavs have done great but no, I don't think they're the team to beat.

Cubsfan365
05-07-2011, 01:30 PM
The Bulls had the best record in the NBA during the regular season. Oh yeah, and we went 8-1 against the Heat, Thunder, Mavs, and Grizzlies as well, yet nobody pegs us as the team to beat. That makes absolutely zero logical sense, but we'll just keep proving people wrong.

PatsSoxKnicks
05-07-2011, 01:34 PM

This

SignGod
05-07-2011, 01:38 PM

"IF" the Bulls play like they did last night then they should be on that list. They still have to prove to be consistant in play! Just knowing that the Bulls make most honest Heat fans nervous should get them on the list alone! the MVP and #1 defense in these playoff should be more then enough to be mentioned in this conversation. I do think that the Heat are the team to beat as of right now. Just trying to determine if their that good or if the C's are that bad!

hotpotato1092
05-07-2011, 01:38 PM
I'm a huge Heat hater, but I'm an objective basketball fan first, and right now they are the most dangerous team. That being said, Chicago and Dallas aren't far behind, and never last year proved not to discount the Celtics. I think OKC is a year away, but they have enough talent to make some real noise. So while Miami is the favorite, I'd say any of those five teams have a shot.

MFFL==FML
05-07-2011, 01:39 PM
In my opinion, in order to be ''the team to beat'' you must be the best. In order to be the best, you must beat the best. The Lakers are the defending champs... while people may speculate and say, ''Oh my team could handle this Lakers team'' the Mavericks ARE DOING IT! If/when the Mavericks beat the Lakers they will become the team to beat. If Memphis or OKC beat the Mavericks then they become the team to beat. Then if the Heat win in the Finals, they are the team to beat going into next year. Get it?

BTW, I have to admit, as much as I hate the heat, some of the fans have been pretty legit (Dnewguy especially). I don't know if this has more to do with them wanting Kobe out of the spotlight or if they are calling it down the middle. Either way, I appreciate the love and respect, I in turn will do my best to reciprocate that to you guys.

k.smith904
05-07-2011, 01:40 PM
too early to tell.

Memphis has been the most impressive cumulatively, but the Heat and Mavs are getting hot, the Bulls finally came out last night....

of the teams left:

1. Memphis
2. Dallas
3. Heat
4. Bulls
5. Thunder
6. Celtics
7. Lakers
8. Hawks

pretty pointless though imo

PatsSoxKnicks
05-07-2011, 01:40 PM
The Bulls had the best record in the NBA during the regular season. Oh yeah, and we went 8-1 against the Heat, Thunder, Mavs, and Grizzlies as well, yet nobody pegs us as the team to beat. That makes absolutely zero logical sense, but we'll just keep proving people wrong.

The Lakers went 2-1 against the Mavs with the last game being a blowout in favor of the Lakers. How's that working out for the Lakers?

The Celts were 3-1 against the Heat in the regular season. How's that working out for the Celts?

Do you get the point? Or do I actually have to state it? The point is, the playoffs are a different animal and what your regular season record was against a team doesn't mean anything.

Eightyfive Y'aw
05-07-2011, 01:41 PM

The Heat maybe but unless you thought the Lakers were the best out west why the Mavs? If the Bulls were 3-0 would it be them? If Miami is 2-1 are they not viable any longer. This all fun but if you wanna speculate whose the best what is the Bulls record in the last 40 games season and post? The Best. MVP-Bulls. COA-Bulls. Best Record in the East-Bulls, Best record overall in the NBA- Bulls. Most tired team coming into the playoffs-Bulls! Who beat the Celtics Lakers Heat and Spurs-Bulls. So Ya they are in the convo 4sho. And a playoff loss against Atl or difficulties in the first round vs the 76ers has no real bearing. The Heat horse looks good Mavs too but we shall see. And some of the overconfidence in these posts are hilarious.

SignGod
05-07-2011, 01:41 PM

Agreed! I bet that even most of these other guys would agree if it wasn't for the extreme homerism by a select bunch of fans! Logical basketball sense tells you that the Bulls are in this conversation no matter how hard they want to exclude them or bash the homers! Better to fly under the radar!

PhillyFaninLA
05-07-2011, 01:43 PM
The Lakers until they are eliminated officially....I believe the champs are always the team to beat until they are officially out. Assuming the Lakers do lose....

In the west OKC and in the east the Heat.

Also when you made you poll why didn't you include all teams still in the playoffs kind of takes away all merits of your poll.

RZZZA
05-07-2011, 01:43 PM
keep under estimating the Bulls...us Bulls fans have had to listen to this "You can't do it" noise all season long, about everything. But the Bulls keep proving the doubters and haters wrong. At this point its almost comical how people keep under estimating the Bulls.

But the Mavs have handled an old Laker team and the Heat have handled an old Celtics team so obviously we are all very impressed. :rolleyes:

don't sleep on Grizz, don't sleep on OKC, don't sleep on Chicago.

Illinirob83
05-07-2011, 01:46 PM
As a Bulls fan I think Miami is the team to beat right now. They have two of the best five players on the planet, their defense is legit, and all they need is a couple of role players to contribute offensively per night and they are in great shape, plus they are healthy. I think the difference between 1-5 isn't very much like it might have been in previous years though.

1. Miami
2. Chicago
3. Dallas
4. OKC
5. Boston (still wanting to see what they do at home)
6. Memphis
7. Lakers
8. Hawks

Avenged
05-07-2011, 01:52 PM
keep under estimating the Bulls...us Bulls fans have had to listen to this "You can't do it" noise all season long, about everything. But the Bulls keep proving the doubters and haters wrong. At this point its almost comical how people keep under estimating the Bulls.

But the Mavs have handled an old Laker team and the Heat have handled an old Celtics team so obviously we are all very impressed. :rolleyes:

don't sleep on Grizz, don't sleep on OKC, don't sleep on Chicago.

These 2 old teams have the last 3 championships. The Spurs who have been considered old for the longest now won one before the Lakers and Celtics..

Age is a big misconception.

RZZZA
05-07-2011, 01:52 PM
man, beating the 76ers and an old washed up Celtics team that hasn't looked good for months now has really blinded people.

Sure miami looks good, but the bulls can beat them. It'll be a 7 game series. Who will win? I don't know. I just know the bulls CAN win.

everyone is so impressed by the heat :rolleyes: what else is new.

RZZZA
05-07-2011, 01:55 PM
These 2 old teams have the last 3 championships. The Spurs who have been considered old for the longest now won one before the Lakers and Celtics..

Age is a big misconception.

pardon me if I don't think the Mavs beating the Lakers automatically makes the Mavs the greatest thing since sliced bread. Basketball is about match ups. Just because they handled the Lakers easily doesn't mean they'll handle OKC or the Grizz easily.

Illinirob83
05-07-2011, 01:57 PM
yes the Bulls can beat the Heat, that isn't the question though. The question is who is the team to beat right now, which can change on a game to game basis. Who is saying the Bulls absolutely can't beat the heat other than heat fans, maybe?

SteBO
05-07-2011, 01:59 PM
man, beating the 76ers and an old washed up Celtics team that hasn't looked good for months now has really blinded people.

Sure miami looks good, but the bulls can beat them. It'll be a 7 game series. Who will win? I don't know. I just know the bulls CAN win.

everyone is so impressed by the heat :rolleyes: what else is new.

What's funny is that you're miffed at others underestimating the Bulls, and yet in your post, you're underestimating the Heat by downplaying their accomplishment saying the Celtics are old, and the Sixers aren't as good. Irony, no? :rolleyes:

RZZZA
imo the Heat have been the "Team to beat" ALL SEASON LONG. Vegas oddsmakers had them as the favorite to win the title all season long. That hasn't changed.

Avenged
pardon me if I don't think the Mavs beating the Lakers automatically makes the Mavs the greatest thing since sliced bread. Basketball is about match ups. Just because they handled the Lakers easily doesn't mean they'll handle OKC or the Grizz easily.

So the team to beat is.......?

gaughan333
05-07-2011, 02:00 PM
I gotta say the heat, they look to be clicking all cylinders right now. I'm scared for the bulls to play them.

RZZZA
05-07-2011, 02:01 PM
What's funny is that you're miffed at others underestimating the Bulls, and yet in your post, you're underestimating the Heat by downplaying their accomplishment saying the Celtics are old, and the Sixers aren't as good. Irony, no? :rolleyes:

I'm not trying to do that, the Heat have played good. I just don't think it means anything for the Bulls/Heat series that they've managed to beat the 76ers and the Celtics.

Bulls are a different animal. and let's face it, the Celtics have looked bad for months. People kept expecting them to "turn on another gear" and that has yet to happen

SteBO
05-07-2011, 02:01 PM
imo the Heat have been the "Team to beat" ALL SEASON LONG. Vegas oddsmakers had them as the favorite to win the title all season long. That hasn't changed.
Vegas doesn't determine who's the team to beat. You make that decision for yourself. It changes on a month by month, and in this case apparently, a game by game basis. I guess that means that the Bulls were the team to beat for quite a few months now, since CHI has the best record in the league. ESPN has pretty much engrained that in my brain.

RZZZA
05-07-2011, 02:04 PM
right now the team to beat is atlanta and for you the team to beat is the celtics ;)

SteBO
05-07-2011, 02:04 PM
I'm not trying to do that, the Heat have played good. I just don't think it means anything for the Bulls/Heat series that they've managed to beat the 76ers and the Celtics.

Bulls are a different animal. and let's face it, the Celtics have looked bad for months. People kept expecting them to "turn on another gear" and that has yet to happen
Well, the series isn't over yet. BOS can easily tie this up if MIA isn't careful. Us not playing for 3 days now, while giving them rest is big advantage for the Celtics. I'm focused on Game 3 now :cool: I'm not voting on this pole, but I'd say MIA since I'm a MIA fan.

RZZZA
05-07-2011, 02:06 PM
Well, the series isn't over yet. BOS can easily tie this up if MIA isn't careful. Us not playing for 3 days now, while giving them rest is big advantage for the Celtics. I'm focused on Game 3 now :cool: I'm not voting on this pole, but I'd say MIA since I'm a MIA fan.

they can win one game sure but they look old and sorry.

These old teams are all getting beat by the young scrappy teams. Watch out for the young scrappy teams! the Grizz, the OKC, the Bulls, the Heat... all these teams are taking it to the old timers.

Where's that hunger in the Celtics? I'm not seeing it.

SteBO
05-07-2011, 02:07 PM

These old teams are all getting beat by the young scrappy teams. Watch out for the young scrappy teams! the Grizz, the OKC, the Bulls, the Heat... all these teams are taking it to the old timers.

Don't worry. Shaq is coming back!!

5ass
05-07-2011, 02:08 PM
why do bulls fans get so pissed when people dont think theyre the best team in the world? having the best record in the league doesnt mean ****, was cleveland the team to beat last season? no. it was the lakers and celtics, and right now its the heat and the mavs imo

Eightyfive Y'aw
05-07-2011, 02:09 PM
The Lakers went 2-1 against the Mavs with the last game being a blowout in favor of the Lakers. How's that working out for the Lakers?

The Celts were 3-1 against the Heat in the regular season. How's that working out for the Celts?

Do you get the point? Or do I actually have to state it? The point is, the playoffs are a different animal and what your regular season record was against a team doesn't mean anything.

PatsSoxKnicks(LoL) It does too. How is that 3-1 vs Heat working out for the Celtics? Well that 1 meant a 3rd seed instead of a two and gave Mia the homecourt advantage! HCA is huge. No flying no takeout no distractions etc. The Bulls have homecourt advantage. Beating all of those good teams (some defensive powerhouses) and securing homecourt is big and allows anyone to mention the top seeded asstkickin Bulls as the team to beat. It means something. Beating a good team in Reg season series may not make you better come playoffs but beating all the good teams with NBA's best record, MVP, COY definately shows you can and belong in the conversation. The Bulls have not lost back to back at home all season and with HCA it means something.

Illinirob83
05-07-2011, 02:10 PM
why do bulls fans get so pissed when people dont think theyre the best team in the world? having the best record in the league doesnt mean ****, was cleveland the team to beat last season? no. it was the lakers and celtics, and right now its the heat and the mavs imo

you do realize it is one bulls fan who is upset at this. Why is it when someone gets angry they suppose the entire fan base gets angry?

RZZZA
05-07-2011, 02:11 PM

oh its not just the best record in the league, it's also the best record against elite teams in the league and a 5-0 record against the Heat and Mavs.

but no, the Heat and Mavs are the team to beat because they can handle the geezer teams :rolleyes:

Bulls fans aren't pissed, they're used to being discounted. We'll be the under dogs all the way until (if) we manage to beat the Heat, and then all you suckers who were jocking the Heat will want to jump on our bandwagon, only we won't let you on

:D

Eightyfive Y'aw

Thats right. Passing of the torch changing of the guard.

gotoHcarolina52
The Heat maybe but unless you thought the Lakers were the best out west why the Mavs? If the Bulls were 3-0 would it be them? If Miami is 2-1 are they not viable any longer. This all fun but if you wanna speculate whose the best what is the Bulls record in the last 40 games season and post? The Best. MVP-Bulls. COA-Bulls. Best Record in the East-Bulls, Best record overall in the NBA- Bulls. Most tired team coming into the playoffs-Bulls! Who beat the Celtics Lakers Heat and Spurs-Bulls. So Ya they are in the convo 4sho. And a playoff loss against Atl or difficulties in the first round vs the 76ers has no real bearing. The Heat horse looks good Mavs too but we shall see. And some of the overconfidence in these posts are hilarious.

Wait, so all your cute little regular season accolades matter but your playoff losses "have no real bearing"?

You win. Champion, Most Inane Statement of the Year :win:

justinnum1
05-07-2011, 02:12 PM
Wait, so all your cute little regular season accolades matter but your playoff losses "have no real bearing"?

:burn:

theheatles
05-07-2011, 02:13 PM

And the heat aren't a different animal from the pacers and hawks?...the heat at least are facing off vs formidable defenses...bulls have been pretty inefficient for the majority of the playoffs against average to below average defenses

RZZZA
05-07-2011, 02:15 PM
And the heat aren't a different animal from the pacers and hawks?...the heat at least are facing off vs formidable defenses...bulls have been pretty inefficient for the majority of the playoffs against average to below average defenses

oh the Heat are a totally different animal, they've been playing great. But like I said earlier, the Heat beating the 76ers and Celtics has no bearing on what a series vs the Bulls will be like.

same thing for us, Bulls series against the Pacers and Hawks will have no bearing on what a series vs the Heat will look like.

Eightyfive Y'aw
05-07-2011, 02:16 PM

Pau is a big misconception.

fixed. I'm just teasing! Is he hurt or something??:confused:

SteBO
05-07-2011, 02:19 PM
oh the Heat are a totally different animal, they've been playing great. But like I said earlier, the Heat beating the 76ers and Celtics has no bearing on what a series vs the Bulls will be like.

same thing for us, Bulls series against the Pacers and Hawks will have no bearing on what a series vs the Heat will look like.
Everyone seems to be completely ignoring your reasoning, not for good reason. Each series is it's own. MIA would have to plan differently going up against the Bulls and vice versa. But again, let's not look ahead. I'm still worried about the C's.

Avenged
05-07-2011, 02:19 PM
fixed. I'm just teasing! Is he hurt or something??:confused:

Hah. Supposedly his lady broke up with him.

Who knows? I think we'll all find out what's really going on when this series ends.

cubswin25
05-07-2011, 02:20 PM

Exactly, sure the Mavs and Heat have looked good against old Celtics and Lakers teams so far. But what does that mean? Well nothing. Because teams play different in each series and match up different against other teams. A year ago at this time the Magic were dominating the Hawks. While the Cavs were up 2-1 on the Celtics and just blew them out. Nobody was picking the Celtics as the team to beat in the East and look what happen there. Both the Mavs and Heat probably are facing teams in the ECF that are capable of beating them, so how they are looking right now is meaningless.

redwhitenblue
05-07-2011, 02:20 PM

I believe what he's saying is the body of work is more important than a single bad game for any team in a series. Winning 4 out of 5 in a series is still impressive, regardless if it's 4 blowouts and a close loss, 5 close games, 1 horrendous game and average other games. 1 playoff game doesn't represent more than the body of work over 6 months.

redwhitenblue
05-07-2011, 02:21 PM
Everyone seems to be completely ignoring your reasoning, not for good reason. Each series is it's own. MIA would have to plan differently going up against the Bulls and vice versa. But again, let's not look ahead. I'm still worried about the C's.
Don't worry, I heard the TNT analysts say that Mario Chalmers is now a top-end defensive PG, so I'm sure he'll handle Rose fine :p

RZZZA
05-07-2011, 02:22 PM
actually, it seemed like Chalmers would always step up and have a pretty good game against us. At least thats what i noticed

Hiphopopotamus
05-07-2011, 02:22 PM
I'll say the Heat. I think they have the inside track right now. The Heat v Bulls (if this matchup happens) would be epic. Is it possible that with the addition of LBJ that Wade actually became underrated this season? I don't like the Heat at all, but right now they look tough.

redwhitenblue
05-07-2011, 02:24 PM
actually, it seemed like Chalmers would always step up and have a pretty good game against us. At least thats what i noticed
Just your memory. His shooting was okay, but he was constantly in foul trouble and didn't top 11 points.

Hiphopopotamus
05-07-2011, 02:25 PM

Yeah, like he is having a Kansas v Memphis flashback, you know?

SteBO
05-07-2011, 02:26 PM
:laugh:

I love Chalmers. But they overrate him a lot, especially down here in FLA. You should listen to 790 the ticket and listen to talk show hosts. I've even heard them say the James Jones is a Pierce stopper, because of his sudden burst of physical defense.

RZZZA
05-07-2011, 02:26 PM
I think Chalmers can guard Rose much better than bibby can....

I hope they put bibby on Rose but if I was a Heat fan, I'd want Chalmers guarding Rose

redwhitenblue
05-07-2011, 02:28 PM
I think Chalmers can guard Rose much better than bibby can....

I hope they put bibby on Rose but if I was a Heat fan, I'd want Chalmers guarding Rose
You do know that Chalmers was Miami's main PG in previous matchups with the Bulls.

That didn't work out well for Chalmers. They were better off having Wade guard Rose.

RZZZA
05-07-2011, 02:30 PM
I do know that chalmers was guarding rose all those times, he did ok.

better than bibby would do

gotoHcarolina52
05-07-2011, 02:31 PM
I believe what he's saying is the body of work is more important than a single bad game for any team in a series. Winning 4 out of 5 in a series is still impressive, regardless if it's 4 blowouts and a close loss, 5 close games, 1 horrendous game and average other games. 1 playoff game doesn't represent more than the body of work over 6 months.

No, he simply got exposed as a propagator of blatant inconsistencies.

Iggz53
05-07-2011, 02:34 PM
How is that the case? Chicago is not winning the pole...

It's too bad too, the stripper pole is one of the most sought-after items in sports

HT9Canada
05-07-2011, 02:35 PM
The team to beat should be whoever wins the championship. Until then the Lakers are the team to beat. When/if they get beat, all teams are the team to beat. Favorites are a totally different conversation though. And the favorite should be whoever wins between Miami and Boston.

Iggz53
05-07-2011, 02:37 PM

You're thinking of their rookie year. Chalmers has regressed since then and Rose is obviously on a different level now.

Eightyfive Y'aw
05-07-2011, 02:39 PM

Then let me clarify. If I believe the Heat are the team to beat it is not cause they struggled with the 76ers or are wooping up the Celtics. The 91 Bulls had a wretched 1st round against Webber and the Wizards but it didn't matter. There will be bumps in the playoffs losses and blowouts. But the team to beat is the one that can overcome those challenges and be the last man standing. The Bulls showed they belong in the convo by their actions. Whether the Bulls had or had not beat the Hawks in game 3 has no bearing its who wins the series. Who has shown consistancy all season long is Los Bulls. Many of you see your team beating up cripples and say we are the ish. Uh no your not. So I questioned the Mavs...I am tickled for them. But am not overly impressed with the Lakers to be calling them the "T2B".
Time to fire up the grill peace!

cubswin25
05-07-2011, 02:44 PM
And the heat aren't a different animal from the pacers and hawks?...

Sure they are, and if the Bulls are going to beat them. They are gonna have to play defense and rebound like they have the past two games. Along with having more good shooting games then bad shooting games in that series.

the heat at least are facing off vs formidable defenses...bulls have been pretty inefficient for the majority of the playoffs against average to below average defenses

Yeah but so far the Bulls haven't needed to play any better then they have. They have won 3 of 4 games when they had inefficient shooting but played defense and rebounded well(won a bunch of games like that all season long too). Even in game 1 vs the Hawks, it wasn't inefficient shooting that was the problem it was bad defense(can't allow 103 points) and rebounding. Yes the Hawks players like Johnson and Crawford were on fire, but if the defense was right those guys wouldn't have gotten all of those shots. Two of the three games in this Hawks series they are still shooting 45 and 47 percent. If they can shoot in that range for 4-5 games vs the Heat, with their defense and rebounding they will have a chance to win. Yes the Bulls didn't shoot well in games 2-4 in the Pacers series. But they have shot 48, 45 and 47 percent three of the last four games they played(39 percent in game two vs Hawks though). In the Bulls three wins against the Heat in the regular season they shot 46, 42 and 46 percent from the field. So yes the Bulls won't be able to beat the Heat shooting 36-39 percent in games probably. But if they shoot in the mid 40s, play good lockdown defense and rebound well. Then they are capable of doing it, just like they did in the regular season. But for now they still need to get past the Hawks and the Heat still need to get past the Celtics. So we will have plenty of time to talk about all this, if the series happens.

theheatles
05-07-2011, 02:47 PM
PatsSoxKnicks(LoL) It does too. How is that 3-1 vs Heat working out for the Celtics? Well that 1 meant a 3rd seed instead of a two and gave Mia the homecourt advantage! HCA is huge. No flying no takeout no distractions etc. The Bulls have homecourt advantage. Beating all of those good teams (some defensive powerhouses) and securing homecourt is big and allows anyone to mention the top seeded asstkickin Bulls as the team to beat. It means something. Beating a good team in Reg season series may not make you better come playoffs but beating all the good teams with NBA's best record, MVP, COY definately shows you can and belong in the conversation. The Bulls have not lost back to back at home all season and with HCA it means something.

cavs had those exact accolades last season as well

Hawkeye15
05-07-2011, 02:55 PM
as of TODAY, Chicago, Dallas, then Miami, in that order. As of TOMORROW, who knows, it will change tomorrow.

Guys, these types of questions should be done after each series, not each game.

gotoHcarolina52
05-07-2011, 02:59 PM
Then let me clarify. If I believe the Heat are the team to beat it is not cause they struggled with the 76ers or are wooping up the Celtics. The 91 Bulls had a wretched 1st round against Webber and the Wizards but it didn't matter. There will be bumps in the playoffs losses and blowouts. But the team to beat is the one that can overcome those challenges and be the last man standing. The Bulls showed they belong in the convo by their actions. Whether the Bulls had or had not beat the Hawks in game 3 has no bearing its who wins the series. Who has shown consistancy all season long is Los Bulls. Many of you see your team beating up cripples and say we are the ish. Uh no your not. So I questioned the Mavs...I am tickled for them. But am not overly impressed with the Lakers to be calling them the "T2B".
Time to fire up the grill peace!

Your metric for predicting the bolded statement above appears to be "consistancy [sic] all season long" (and by "all," I assume you mean all and not simply regular season). Unfortunately, your metric makes predicting impossible, as we'd have to wait to see who is left standing to predict who is left standing. It's tautological, at the very least. Further, this thread is about the "the New team to beat," which should be derived in part from a what-have-you-shown-me-lately analysis. Consistency and success in the regular season should not be overlooked, sure, but you can't rely on regular season performance to the dismissal of recent playoff success (or lack there of). Doing so would miss the proverbial forest for the trees. Perhaps we should find some middle ground as to avoid playoff flukes and (likely) unsustainable Cinderella stories. The team to beat RIGHT NOW, then, should be the team that has performed best in the playoffs taken, in toto, with some consideration of regular season "consistency."

sargon21
05-07-2011, 03:03 PM
I don't get why everyone's in love with Miami right now. They were supposed to win their two home games against Boston. Now, I expect Boston to come back and win both of their games at home. But, if Miami takes both of those games, or even one, THEN I'll be impressed.

sargon21
05-07-2011, 03:04 PM
And the Bulls have the best clutch player in the game, and a lot of times, that's all it comes down to.

http://www.82games.com/1011/CSORT11.HTM

ackar
05-07-2011, 03:06 PM
Silly thread! The team to beat is the team my Bulls faces Sunday night and that is the Hawks! After Sunday it still will be the Hawks until we eliminate them from the playoffs! then it will be whoever we face next and so on i think i drew the picture clear enough1

brodawgs
05-07-2011, 03:13 PM

You're sort of right, people have been doing this too much this season, but not in this thread.

For one, its not like he's saying "Wow Dallas is up 3-0, are they the next team to beat?" He's throwing it out there that the obvious team to beat, the Lakers, are as good as done, barring some miracle. I think it's a valid point for a thread.

It's either the Heat or Mavericks in this situation, they've both been impressive against the team to beat in their conference, yes, the Celtics were the team to beat in the east. I don't know how you can say the Bulls when they've been doing only just enough to win games. I know the better competition can bring out the best in teams, but that's not for certain, teams can be very trendy and if they play the way they have against any of the teams they will face next, they won't win the series.

Raph12
05-07-2011, 03:18 PM
Heat easily... After the 9-8 start, take a look at the rest of the season, complete and utter dominance.

Big Zo
05-07-2011, 03:21 PM
And the Bulls have the best clutch player in the game, and a lot of times, that's all it comes down to.

http://www.82games.com/1011/CSORT11.HTM

Michael Jordan left the Bulls 13 years ago, sir.

RZZZA
05-07-2011, 03:21 PM
Heat easily... After the 9-8 start, take a look at the rest of the season, complete and utter dominance.

uhhh...no.

Heat had a .500 record against +.500 teams and a bad record against elite teams.

Chicago Bulls = complete dominance of the regular season

k.smith904
05-07-2011, 03:25 PM

the bulls started slow as well and finished with the best record in the NBA.

so...

sargon21
05-07-2011, 03:41 PM
Michael Jordan left the Bulls 13 years ago, sir.

Check the stats and watch the games, sir.

Muttman73
05-07-2011, 03:42 PM
Definitely Indiana because Danny Granger, oops...definitely Atlanta because Jamal Crawford says, screw it I voted HEAT but hoping Bulls.

SportsFanatic10
05-07-2011, 03:42 PM
ever since the big 3 got together in miami i've felt they're the team to beat no matter what happened in the regular season it was just basically a preseason for them cuz this is the real "season" and what they were working towards the whole time. with that being said there's some damn good teams out there though.

TampaFan
05-07-2011, 03:43 PM
Right now, I'd have to say Chicago.

I love how Boston and the Lakers are viewed as outsiders now. There's a bit of credibility to the Lakers, but, the Celtics had two off games. 2 games doesn't make it impossible for them to win the series.

RZZZA was right, though. Most of you are too short sighted. Theoretically, if the C's come out tonight and win by 20+ points, suddenly they become "the team to beat." Wait until the full round plays out before you decide who "the team to beat" is.

Iggz53
05-07-2011, 03:45 PM

Bulls started 9-8 too. Just sayin...

LionsFan..LOL
05-07-2011, 03:46 PM
Miami as of right now, but that can change over the course of one game.

JordansBulls
05-07-2011, 03:50 PM
Bulls because of HCA throughout.

Shareeb_omac2
05-07-2011, 03:51 PM
Didn't the Mavericks win most of the regular season matchups with the Heat this season?

dnewguy
05-07-2011, 03:54 PM
Didn't the Mavericks win most of the regular season matchups with the Heat this season?

Yup, both Bulls and Mavs swept the Heat during the regular season.

Baller1
05-07-2011, 04:06 PM
Yet you voted for the Thunder lol

Are you talking about the Mavs? Because if you are, its definitely not just Game 3 that makes them team to beat by many people.

Umm... No, I didn't.

Cubsfan365
05-07-2011, 04:11 PM
as of TODAY, Chicago, Dallas, then Miami, in that order. As of TOMORROW, who knows, it will change tomorrow.

Guys, these types of questions should be done after each series, not each game.
This is right.

Big Zo
05-07-2011, 05:13 PM
Check the stats and watch the games, sir.

Players who haven't won anything can't really be called "The most clutch player in the game."

lakeshow3peat
05-07-2011, 05:38 PM
This is great Lakers underdogs just what we need to find our game and its on from there . Lets see here we lost to Cavs , Bobcats , and now are down 0-3 . I sense a spark of champions turning on that Champion switch to make history and finally putting an end to this team to beat crap . I voted Bulls they have MVP Derrick Rose and second best record in the nba this season . If its not the Champs its the bulls . All you miami or Lebron fans the heat havent done anything except another team competing for a title .

Iggz53
05-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Players who haven't won anything can't really be called "The most clutch player in the game."

You're right. Fortunately for Rose, he's won more times than anyone else this year.

Big Zo
05-07-2011, 05:48 PM
You're right. Fortunately for Rose, he's won more times than anyone else this year.

If that's your logic, I guess his teammates somehow didn't win as much as him? Either way, congratulations to the Bulls. 2011 regular season champions! :win:

Stuckey#3
05-07-2011, 05:55 PM
grizzlies could be in here

FEAR THE GRIZ! And yes i most definitely jumped on this bandwagon. Lakers are out and Detroit is in the lottery.
Randolph and Gasol are looking scary!

TheRunKiller
05-07-2011, 06:03 PM
If that's your logic, I guess his teammates somehow didn't win as much as him? Either way, congratulations to the Bulls. 2011 regular season champions! :win:

its gonna to be fun watching boston win these next 2 games

PurpleJesus28
05-07-2011, 06:07 PM
This is great Lakers underdogs just what we need to find our game and its on from there . Lets see here we lost to Cavs , Bobcats , and now are down 0-3 . I sense a spark of champions turning on that Champion switch to make history and finally putting an end to this team to beat crap . I voted Bulls they have MVP Derrick Rose and second best record in the nba this season . If its not the Champs its the bulls . All you miami or Lebron fans the heat havent done anything except another team competing for a title .

actually we had the best :D

Purple&Gold24
05-07-2011, 06:35 PM
Heat

bbcmillionaire
05-07-2011, 07:02 PM

Lol why would us bulls fans be angry? Because we're not winning a poll? Gtfoh dude, I speak for all bulls fans, we don't care, as long as we keep winning

justinnum1
05-07-2011, 07:08 PM
Lol why would us bulls fans be angry? Because we're not winning a poll? Gtfoh dude, I speak for all bulls fans, we don't care, as long as we keep winning

mosts of the posts in here say other

Iggz53
05-07-2011, 07:14 PM

I guess your logic is better, so then Derrick Fisher's clutch play is on a whole different level than LeBron and Wade. So pick one.

You said that Rose hasn't won anything, I merely stated that he has won more than any other player on another team this year. You inferred the rest.

LGH100
05-07-2011, 07:19 PM
Spurs had the best record for most of the year Bull fans.It got them nowhere.Remember
that.But whatever congrats on being regular season champs.

Iggz53
05-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Spurs had the best record for most of the year Bull fans.It got them nowhere.Remember
that.But whatever congrats on being regular season champs.

And how does that have any relevance to the Bulls, or Bulls fans? The Heat are winning the poll by a large margin, and a lot of Bulls fans think other teams are the "team to beat." For the record, I would say that the Bulls are underdogs against the Heat and Celtics. But for some reason you choose to attack Bulls fans :laugh2:

CowboysKB24
05-07-2011, 07:37 PM
Heat.

flclfanman
05-07-2011, 07:38 PM
Wrong Thread lol

Fnom11
05-07-2011, 07:58 PM
With the Lakers out I'd say the Bulls

kenzo400
05-07-2011, 08:19 PM
it involves the bulls too.

Rose goes through a little slump and its "omg, Rose can't shoot!"

Boozer plays injured and "omg, Boozer sucks! trade him! worst PF ever!"

just reactionary people all over the place.

look the Mavs have done great but no, I don't think they're the team to beat.

Mavs are up 3-0 on the DEFENDING CHAMPIONS, and there is a good chance they will sweep them. I think that is pretty significant.

RZZZA
05-07-2011, 08:23 PM
sure is, except that lower seeded teams have displayed more tenacity and hunger than either the Lakers or the Celtics combined in this post season.

Sportfan
05-07-2011, 08:29 PM
Heat without a doubt, and I've said the whole playoffs they're the toughest team to beat. If Celtics get past the heat they're winning the championship because the Heat are the best team in the league.

Eightyfive Y'aw
05-07-2011, 09:27 PM
Your metric for predicting the bolded statement above appears to be "consistancy [sic] all season long" (and by "all," I assume you mean all and not simply regular season). Unfortunately, your metric makes predicting impossible, as we'd have to wait to see who is left standing to predict who is left standing. It's tautological, at the very least. Further, this thread is about the "the New team to beat," which should be derived in part from a what-have-you-shown-me-lately analysis. Consistency and success in the regular season should not be overlooked, sure, but you can't rely on regular season performance to the dismissal of recent playoff success (or lack there of). Doing so would miss the proverbial forest for the trees. Perhaps we should find some middle ground as to avoid playoff flukes and (likely) unsustainable Cinderella stories. The team to beat RIGHT NOW, then, should be the team that has performed best in the playoffs taken, in toto, with some consideration of regular season "consistency."

Well that certainly makes since. Then I would say right now this round the Heat and the Mavs are most dominate.

lakeshow3peat
05-07-2011, 09:43 PM
actually we had the best :D

Thats right my bad

MacFitz92
05-07-2011, 10:02 PM
Heat.

If Lakers werent mentally and physically exhausted + dealing with Injurys + Dealing apparently with internal chemistry problems between Pau and either Odom or Kobe ( is not known yet whose wife was the one that started the beef) mavs would be down 3-0.

Dont expect them to go past Thunder/grizz and they are definetly not wining the finals.

Sounds like excuses if you ask me. Teams can't be great forever.

MacFitz92
05-07-2011, 10:26 PM
Mavs weren't suppose to beat the Blazers. They finished them in 6 in Portland. Mavs weren't suppose to beat the Lakers. Now they are on the verge of sweeping them. Bynum is healthy.

Muttman73
05-07-2011, 10:26 PM
Heat without a doubt, and I've said the whole playoffs they're the toughest team to beat. If Celtics get past the heat they're winning the championship because the Heat are the best team in the league.

No, they are not. They may be the best "2" players in the league, but they are not even really a team, more like an association of players hoping to ride the big 2.5s coat tails to some kind of championship.

sargon21
05-08-2011, 02:01 AM
Mavs weren't suppose to beat the Blazers. They finished them in 6 in Portland. Mavs weren't suppose to beat the Lakers. Now they are on the verge of sweeping them. Bynum is healthy.

No, they were favorites against the Blazers. Mavs =/= Grizzlies.

MacFitz92
05-08-2011, 02:05 AM
No, they were favorites against the Blazers. Mavs =/= Grizzlies.

Not really. Not on here. Not on ESPN.

We're on the verge of sweeping the Lakers, and we're on the same level as a Grizzlies team that a lot of people would destroy the Spurs inside, which they did, and are now playing a close series with the Thunder.

Whatever you want to believe, but when it's all said and done, I believe the Mavericks play for the remainder of the playoffs will shut a lot of people up. But some people will still talk because that's all they know how to do.

Wrigheyes4MVP
05-08-2011, 08:51 AM
Mavs in the West.

Celtics in the East.

It should be Lakers and Celtics until they are knocked out. Those are the teams to beat, but since LA is down 3-0, once Dallas knocks them out, I believe they will be the new team to beat, but only in the West.

The East is really still up for grabs with MIA vs. BOS still being a close series, and Chicago still very much in the mix.

Grizzlies are the dark horse, but I am not convinced that their series with OKC is even close to being over. I see that one going 7.

jp611
05-08-2011, 09:18 AM
Well I think we all saw last night that the Heat don't have a 2nd gear

Draco
05-08-2011, 09:22 AM
With the Lakers out I'd say the Bulls

I want to see a Bulls team that's completely healthy from reg season to post season.

benzni
05-08-2011, 09:31 AM

agree x1000

mzgrizz
05-08-2011, 01:38 PM
I really don't mind being ignored in this poster's poll. I would much rather everyone still think we are "the lowly Grizz" and get the **** knocked out of them !!! When you have TWO national games on TV, and you wouldn't tune in their games on NBA TV unless you had a vested interest, the average NBA fan would have NO earthly idea just how damn good we are now.

SportsFanatic10
05-08-2011, 05:35 PM
all i gotta say is how are the bulls ahead of the mavs...even the heat ahead of the mavs is starting to look like a tough sell as of this moment.

iggypop123
05-08-2011, 05:36 PM
people should really take memphis seriously. they are the best team right now

gatkins11
05-08-2011, 05:54 PM
Heat.

:facepalm:

sargon21
05-08-2011, 06:00 PM
people should really take memphis seriously. they are the best team right now

Not in any way, really.

sargon21
05-08-2011, 06:00 PM
Not really. Not on here. Not on ESPN.

We're on the verge of sweeping the Lakers, and we're on the same level as a Grizzlies team that a lot of people would destroy the Spurs inside, which they did, and are now playing a close series with the Thunder.

Whatever you want to believe, but when it's all said and done, I believe the Mavericks play for the remainder of the playoffs will shut a lot of people up. But some people will still talk because that's all they know how to do.

They were the favorites against Portland is all I'm saying, and that's a fact.

Backstabber
05-08-2011, 06:08 PM
The Mavs are leaving no doubt. Clearly the deepest team in the playoffs. Doubt the Bulls or Heat can beat them in 7

Redbull
05-08-2011, 06:17 PM
Heat/Celtics

The Mavs have a great team but no championship experience.

Eightyfive Y'aw
05-08-2011, 06:26 PM
Each round provides an op for people to get bubbly but inactuality the "New" team to beat is still the "Old" team to beat. If the Mavs are playing against Mashed Potatoes then of course its all Gravy. The Heat looked clueless so I am back to square one and will not judge round per round.
Notice: Until the Bulls are eliminated they are the Team2Beat.

Yams
05-08-2011, 06:26 PM
Heat/Celtics

The Mavs have a great team but no championship experience.

They just sweeped the team with the most championship experience so not sure why people still believe that it matters. Eventually the better team wins.