PDA

View Full Version : Bill Russell To Be Honored With Statue In Boston

FriedTofuz
05-04-2011, 08:59 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2011/05/celtics_to_anno.html

Russell was praised in the press release by the Celtics announcing the honor as "the greatest champion in the history of professional sports, as a national leader in human rights, and as a dedicated advocate for youth mentoring."

The project will be funded by the Boston Celtics Shamrock Foundation in partnership with the newly formed Bill Russell Legacy Committee. The statue will be designed by a local artist.

“I am uncomfortable with honors such as this but my years as captain of the Boston Celtics were the proudest moments of my career,” Russell said via the release. “Mayor [Thomas] Menino’s Boston has proven to be a city that embraces the diverse contributions of all its people and neighborhoods. I am thankful to the Celtics and all the contributors for the effort to create such a wonderful mentoring program.”
Congratulations to him!

Iodine
05-04-2011, 09:04 PM
Bill Russell didn't play for Boston, he played for the Celtics.

I realize the city is much better now, but that doesn't change how bad he had it there while he played.

KnicksR4Real
05-04-2011, 09:08 PM
Deserved.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
05-04-2011, 09:12 PM
Deserved it. Congrats to the second best basketball player ever!

FriedTofuz
05-04-2011, 09:30 PM
Deserved it. Congrats to the second best basketball player ever!

With 11 rings, Maybe he is the second best.

spreadeagle
05-04-2011, 09:44 PM
Lets all prey it looks better then the Scottie Pippen statue http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1104/sports.figures.with.statues/content.6.html :facepalm:

FriedTofuz
05-05-2011, 12:40 AM
Im sure it will be as good as the Michael jordan one

njnets
05-05-2011, 12:47 AM
well overdue, he's deserved one for decades now. glad to see that they are finally honoring him.

JordansBulls
05-05-2011, 01:14 AM
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?p=17777957#post17777957

FriedTofuz
05-05-2011, 01:18 AM
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?p=17777957#post17777957

You beat me to it!:( Is it possible to merge it?

Wade>You
05-05-2011, 01:47 AM
Only 10 posts for the guy who invented "defense wins championships"?

Congratulations to Bill Russell, long overdue.

Davidgta1
05-05-2011, 02:24 AM
I thought he had one already? But he deserve it dude was a real beast

ULT WARRIOR408
05-05-2011, 09:49 AM

I realize the city is much better now, but that doesn't change how bad he had it there while he played.

Well said bruh.

He was treated very badly in those days & he often turned the other cheek.

This is long overdue imo,Im happy for the Bay Area brotha.:clap:

Tarheels23
05-05-2011, 09:56 AM
Is it going next to the Bobby Orr statue?

magichatnumber9
05-05-2011, 10:04 AM

How bad he had it in Boston? How about when he went on the road. That was really bad.

Mishmin
05-05-2011, 10:11 AM
Unequivocally the man. Congrats Bill.

bagwell368
05-05-2011, 10:48 AM
How bad he had it in Boston? How about when he went on the road. That was really bad.

This is a general statement, not directed at any specific group or person.

While Boston was an early hotbed of anti slavery, the uncomfortable fact is that the upper classes believed in anti slavery as a concept, but certainly didn't want any integration in their back yards.

Quite a few areas in and near Boston in the 60's and 70's could be positively dangerous, and feelings were very high. Many black Celtics were not welcome in the burbs. As late as when Dee Brown was a rookie, he got taken down on the ground at gunpoint by police for being in the wrong wealthy suburb. Other black players were pulled over by police over and over in their own area by cops that knew that they lived there.

People from the Far East (Japan, etc.) and India (and others) with education, money and good jobs moving into wealthy burbs are not seen as an issue, but Hispanics and Blacks IMO still face issues - although mercifully not near what was going on 40 years ago.

Bill was sensitive to it, and he embraces the Celts, but has been wary of Boston itself - and for good reason - over the years.

Rentzias
05-05-2011, 11:55 AM

Just finished John Taylor's "The Rivalry" this A.M., and it seems like while he truly despised Boston early on--the statement indicating he didn't owe anybody anything, not even the fans--he softened on this stance in his later years, including appreciating his teammates over the years, as well as the "Corner Boys," apparently a group of hardcore fans that rooted that team on.

It doesn't change the fact, and that's part of Russell, the basketball, as well as his activism in racial politics. A complex man for sure who should be recognized for his achievements.

bagwell368
05-05-2011, 12:34 PM
Just finished John Taylor's "The Rivalry" this A.M., and it seems like while he truly despised Boston early on--the statement indicating he didn't owe anybody anything, not even the fans--he softened on this stance in his later years, including appreciating his teammates over the years, as well as the "Corner Boys," apparently a group of hardcore fans that rooted that team on.

It doesn't change the fact, and that's part of Russell, the basketball, as well as his activism in racial politics. A complex man for sure who should be recognized for his achievements.

No doubt. While I'm against him as the GOAT, I'm for him in almost any other conceivable way.

FriedTofuz
05-05-2011, 04:00 PM

Im wondering the same thing, How did he have it bad in boston? Every city has its pros and cons, but thinks are working out. The city is memorating his contribution to the celtics. Regardless of what happend in the past, I'm sure Bill Is just proud to accept such a great honor.

TheDiggler
05-05-2011, 04:11 PM
Hope He gets a Better One than pippen in Chicago ...

Rentzias
05-05-2011, 04:19 PM
Im wondering the same thing, How did he have it bad in boston? Every city has its pros and cons, but thinks are working out. The city is memorating his contribution to the celtics. Regardless of what happend in the past, I'm sure Bill Is just proud to accept such a great honor.

He got the same racial treatment at the Garden from Celtic fans as he got on the road from opposing fans: racial taunts, objects thrown. His Massachusetts home was broken into numerous times and vandalized, and at one point in time, the burglars defacated in his bed. Reading, where he lived, also held a ceremony to honor his achievements, but also attempted to legally limit or prevent him from living in Reading.

It explains why he refused to sign fan signatures, why he didn't show up when they retired his jersey, or even for his own Hall of Fame induction.

But as I had mentioned earlier, he softened up significantly later in life, but was definitely an angry, angry man all the way through the 70s, when he couldn't necessarily find peace at home in Boston either.

Bruno
05-05-2011, 04:41 PM
Congrats to one of the greatest winner in league history. :clap: