PDA

View Full Version : Surprises in the MVP Voting

JasonJohnHorn
05-03-2011, 07:51 PM
This shows the full voting numbers.
http://www.nba.com/2011/news/05/03/mvp-award/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt1

A big surprise in my book was how few votes Amare got. Perhaps it was the hole Melo-drama toward the end of the season, but the bottom line is, Amare came to NY, and they went from the lottery to the playoffs, and they were in the playoffs before Melo arrived.

Another big surprise: Pau Gasol was left off the list. Wade and LBJ both managed a respectable number of votes whilst playing on the same team, but Kobe was the only Laker to score any MVP votes. Seems like some voters dont fully appreciate what Gasol brings to the table.

Another big surprise in my book: Griffen got votes while Zaph Randolph got none. Bottom line: the Clippers went from the lottery, and stayed there, and next year without Griffen they would be in the same position. I just cant imagine a player being that valuable for a team that wasnt even in the playoffs. Randolph on the other hand, be he a better or lesser player in comparrison to Blake (I would take Blake over Randolph, dont get me wrong) was far more imporant, or valuable, to Memphis than was Blake to the Clippers. The only thing Blake help the Clippers do was sell tickets. And if Blake Griffen is going to get some votes, then where are the votes for Kevin Love?

Also absent, the entire Hawks roster. Joe Johnson? Crawford? Horford? Smith? I mean somebody had to mean something to that team. They are in the playoffs after all. But voters seemed to overlook the talent on that team as well.

Another odd absentee: LaMarcu Aldrige. With all the injuries the Trailblazers suffered this season, it is clear to any fan of the game how valuable LA was to his team, but not a single vote.

Did any of you fans out there notice any glaring ommissions fromt he MVP voting?
Westbrook also went without and love.

goblazers7
05-03-2011, 08:56 PM
that wasnt even close.

Chill_Will_24
05-03-2011, 08:59 PM
:rolleyes: I wont even start... :laugh:

richiesaurus310
05-03-2011, 09:11 PM
Blake griffin!!!!

hyb152
05-03-2011, 09:16 PM
Howard or Dirk should have gotten it, but Rose is still deserving of it. Lebron also is deserving, but not as much as Howard or Dirk.

Afridi786
05-03-2011, 09:42 PM
I think every good NBA player should get a vote so they don't feel left out.

Hellcrooner
05-03-2011, 11:14 PM
Pau didnt get any votes because he has had a down year.
Simply as that.

TheRunKiller
05-03-2011, 11:17 PM
:rolleyes: I wont even start... :laugh:

about time you kept your mouth shut

hugepatsfan
05-03-2011, 11:22 PM
CP3's place is an absolute joke

Raps18-19 Champ
05-03-2011, 11:24 PM
The top 3 was exactly how I had it. So I'm not complaining.

How the Spurs(Manu and Parker) only had 9 votes in total is a disgrace though IMO. CP3 should be a little higher.

theheatles
05-03-2011, 11:26 PM
CP3's place is an absolute joke

yeah, thats what i took from the list...such a shame

Raps18-19 Champ
05-03-2011, 11:30 PM
BTW, where's Westbrook in all of this? And Z-Bo?

TheRunKiller
05-03-2011, 11:33 PM
lol why is blake griffin even on this list

Chill_Will_24
05-04-2011, 12:20 AM
about time you kept your mouth shut

Why the hostility??? You know unsulting others behind the security of a computer screen is a sure fire way to look like an absolute puss......................................y....... ............... :laugh:

HuRRiCaNeS324
05-04-2011, 12:24 AM
Why are some of you asking about Randolph? Gimme a break, everyone jumps on his bandwagon as soon as he performs in a big stage. I'd love to see the PF rankings from the beginning of the season and see where you guys put him and where he would be now.

Anyway, CP3's votes were a disgrace, Blake Griffin shouldn't get anything (seriously WTF), Dwight Howard should of gotten a lot more.

Chill_Will_24
05-04-2011, 12:26 AM
Why are some of you asking about Randolph? Gimme a break, everyone jumps on his bandwagon as soon as he performs in a big stage. I'd love to see the PF rankings from the beginning of the season and see where you guys put him and where he would be now.

Anyway, CP3's votes were a disgrace, Blake Griffin shouldn't get anything (seriously WTF), Dwight Howard should of gotten a lot more.

+100 Agree completely

TheRunKiller
05-04-2011, 01:14 AM
Why the hostility??? You know unsulting others behind the security of a computer screen is a sure fire way to look like an absolute puss......................................y....... ............... :laugh:

i was just playing

Chill_Will_24
05-04-2011, 01:19 AM
i was just playing

:cheers: Its all good bro.

ChiSox219
05-04-2011, 01:34 AM
Rose getting 2 third place votes is surprising.

THE GIPPER
05-04-2011, 01:42 AM
MVP = Best player on the best team

JasonJohnHorn
05-04-2011, 06:10 AM
[QUOTE=HuRRiCaNeS324;17773282]Why are some of you asking about Randolph? Gimme a break, everyone jumps on his bandwagon as soon as he performs in a big stage. I'd love to see the PF rankings from the beginning of the season and see where you guys put him and where he would be now./[QUOTE]

Of course, but the MVP voting isnt about where you would rank a guy at the beginning of the season (Z-Bo was an all-star last year though, so coaches ranked him in the top 6 for power forwards), it is about how he played throughout the season, so of course people would vote for him now, having had helped his team to a playoff birth. Its not about "jumping on a band wagon", its about showing respect to a great performance.

Its like calling everybody who didnt vote for Rose last year a band wagon jumper just because he played well this season. That makes no sense. Of course they didnt vote for him last year, the Bulls were a mid-level team and he had yet to start hitting his full potential. Just like last season, Memphis didnt even make the playoffs, this year they did.

Just because you wouldnt rank a guy as an MVP candidate at the begining of the season, doesnt mean that you wouldnt rank him as one at the end of a season. I fail to see the logic in this assessment.

dodie53
05-04-2011, 07:59 AM
i think dwight deserves more votes

mttwlsn16
05-04-2011, 08:23 AM
lol why is blake griffin even on this list

:facepalm:
single handedly making the clippers relevant is a tough task

topdog
05-04-2011, 08:25 AM

:laugh2:

The award should be a be gold star that the players can where on their lapel when they're not playing. You know, when they're all dressed up for the plane.

JordansBulls
05-04-2011, 08:30 AM
This shows the full voting numbers.
http://www.nba.com/2011/news/05/03/mvp-award/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt1

A big surprise in my book was how few votes Amare got. Perhaps it was the hole Melo-drama toward the end of the season, but the bottom line is, Amare came to NY, and they went from the lottery to the playoffs, and they were in the playoffs before Melo arrived.

Another big surprise: Pau Gasol was left off the list. Wade and LBJ both managed a respectable number of votes whilst playing on the same team, but Kobe was the only Laker to score any MVP votes. Seems like some voters dont fully appreciate what Gasol brings to the table.

Yeah I don't get it. How is Kobe 4th and Gasol not on the list when his production is as good or better? He led the Lakers in Win Shares by a considerable margin again this year and Win Shares per 48 minutes. Hell Kobe was 4th in WS/PER 48 minutes on the Lakers this season alone.

Also how in the world did he get a first place vote???

bulldog312
05-04-2011, 10:18 AM
I love the 2 3rd place votes for Griffin and Rondo.

Johann
05-04-2011, 10:23 AM
wheres kris bosh on that list??

:laugh:

AntiG
05-04-2011, 10:44 AM
Pau is not even the MVP of his own team.

Pierzynski4Prez
05-04-2011, 11:16 AM

By relevant, do you mean 32-50 relevant?

MrfadeawayJB
05-04-2011, 11:42 AM
How many guys were voted MVP??? There should be no more than 5 choices.

In no order:
Rose
Dirk
James
Amare
Howard

Pierzynski4Prez
05-04-2011, 11:57 AM
How many guys were voted MVP??? There should be no more than 5 choices.

In no order:
Rose
Dirk
James
Amare
Howard

You vote for 1st place all the way through 5th place. And if it went by your way, Amare should not be a choice.

JasonJohnHorn
05-04-2011, 05:17 PM

Relevent? They popped up on the highlight reels more, but relevent? Bottom line: they were a lottery team last year, they are a lottery team this year.

TheRunKiller
05-04-2011, 05:21 PM

32-50 is relevant? :laugh2:

Ebbs
05-04-2011, 05:21 PM
Griffin and Parker recieving votes made me giggle.

Dwight
Dirk
Rose
LBJ

in my mind were the top 4.

Gram
05-04-2011, 05:30 PM

:laugh2: