PDA

View Full Version : Do you believe in the Grizzles?

mballa22191
05-02-2011, 03:29 PM
I want to do a poll who believes the grizzles win the series?

http://*************/2011/05/can-memphis-really-do-it-again/

Hellcrooner
05-02-2011, 03:34 PM
i think they win vs ock fall in wcf vs lakers or advance to finals vs mavs

nolin
05-02-2011, 03:50 PM
I want to do a poll who believes the grizzles win the series?

http://*************/2011/05/can-memphis-really-do-it-again/

sure they can win this series. they matchup well with everyone in the west besides LA, who can match them in size.

allSUAVE
05-02-2011, 03:51 PM
ohh they're for real, I just dont want them to WIN the series smh.

OKC Match up better with Kobe and the Lakers.

HuRRiCaNeS324
05-02-2011, 03:56 PM
Im starting to believe. That Gasol-Randolph duo is nasty. Then they probably the 2 best perimeter defenders in the game. They play through their great big men on offense and they just get it done every time.

Im hoping and praying to see them advance and play the Lakers. Memphis' big men against the Lakers' and then we see Kobe go up against Tony Allen and his nemesis Shane Battier. It would be fun to watch for sure.

210Don
05-02-2011, 04:11 PM
they will beat up the lakers frontline also no one can match em NO ONE.

Hellcrooner
05-02-2011, 04:12 PM

so you think they are winning the ring?

Gibby23
05-02-2011, 04:13 PM

Just because they smashed the Spurs old and undersized frontline doesn't mean anything. The Spurs tried to win a ring in the regular season and were done by round 1.

Avenged
05-02-2011, 04:19 PM
The Grizzlies will win the series. Question should be if they could beat the Mavs or Lakers.

;)

Hawkeye15
05-02-2011, 04:20 PM
I believe they are much better finally, and have found a good combination of coaching, chemistry, and cohesion. They had a great matchup in round 1 against the worn down, nearly finished Duncan (sad to see), and the Thunder also have nothing up front. If Memphis can continue to run shooters off the line, defend the paint, and take advantage of their size up front, they can beat the Thunder. But if they get to the WCF's, both the Lakers and Mavs have the size up front to deal with the Grizz, and both are more seasoned, veteran playoff teams and the Grizz will go down in 6 games or less.

Going forward, I am not sure what to think of them. They are pretty much exactly what they will be, minus Gay, going forward (assuming the go well over the cap to resign Gasol). There will no be major free agents going there anytime soon, for at least a couple of years, because they just won't have the money. So they will need to convince a Tony Allen and Shane Battier types to stay there, and keep the roster filled out with minimal options money wise. Its hard to envision this team as a title contender in the near future, but it was also hard to imagine them winning a playoff series a year ago, so who knows.

210Don
05-02-2011, 04:23 PM
so you think they are winning the ring?

nah i dont think they beat the whoever comes out east but i dont think anyone out the west could beat whatever team comes out the east

210Don
05-02-2011, 04:23 PM
Just because they smashed the Spurs old and undersized frontline doesn't mean anything. The Spurs tried to win a ring in the regular season and were done by round 1.

well we guarded them better than the thunder did....... grizz arent a 8 seed they can beat anyone out west

richiesaurus310
05-02-2011, 04:30 PM
I actually now believe they can beat anyone in the west, and could hang with anyone left in the east...

calakers
05-02-2011, 04:34 PM

your crazy no one can match them that a little insane a team that was 8th seed cant be matched by no one wow! the lakers could easily matchup with them or mavs. first bynum and m.gasol will match each other nothing will happen there because they guard each other. gasol will probably have an average series but with odom helping they will make it difficult 4 randolph.

Supreme LA
05-02-2011, 04:37 PM
I love that they play a tough physical brand of basketball and I have been definitely pulling for them. I'm pretty sure noone would be surprised if they upset OKC at this point. They are a really solid team.

The Jokemaker
05-02-2011, 04:38 PM
I believe they are much better finally, and have found a good combination of coaching, chemistry, and cohesion. They had a great matchup in round 1 against the worn down, nearly finished Duncan (sad to see), and the Thunder also have nothing up front. If Memphis can continue to run shooters off the line, defend the paint, and take advantage of their size up front, they can beat the Thunder. But if they get to the WCF's, both the Lakers and Mavs have the size up front to deal with the Grizz, and both are more seasoned, veteran playoff teams and the Grizz will go down in 6 games or less.

Going forward, I am not sure what to think of them. They are pretty much exactly what they will be, minus Gay, going forward (assuming the go well over the cap to resign Gasol). There will no be major free agents going there anytime soon, for at least a couple of years, because they just won't have the money. So they will need to convince a Tony Allen and Shane Battier types to stay there, and keep the roster filled out with minimal options money wise. Its hard to envision this team as a title contender in the near future, but it was also hard to imagine them winning a playoff series a year ago, so who knows.

In a league where the superstars are basically choosing to go play in big markets and on superteams, I doubt Memphis was a prime target anyway. I maen let's be real, of all the potential big free agents, would ANY of them be considering Memphis? No. They haven't in the past and wouldn't this season or next. And frankly, when they resign Gasol, a young nucleus of Gay, Conley, and Gasol with vets like Allen and RAndolph and possibly Battier, that is a team that can play well in the future if they continue to draft well and make smart decisions. They can opt to keep Mayo or trade him for some assets.

Hawkeye15
05-02-2011, 04:42 PM
In a league where the superstars are basically choosing to go play in big markets and on superteams, I doubt Memphis was a prime target anyway. I maen let's be real, of all the potential big free agents, would ANY of them be considering Memphis? No. They haven't in the past and wouldn't this season or next. And frankly, when they resign Gasol, a young nucleus of Gay, Conley, and Gasol with vets like Allen and RAndolph and possibly Battier, that is a team that can play well in the future if they continue to draft well and make smart decisions. They can opt to keep Mayo or trade him for some assets.

I don't even mean the large fish in free agency. The Grizz have basically committed fully to their core. Financially, unless they make moves with one of their high priced contracts, the Grizz have nothing but vet minimums and the mid-level if its still around after the CBA is done.

I like their core. But I am not sure if its enough to compete for a championship. But as I stated, a year ago, if you told me the Grizz would knock off the Spurs in the playoffs with ease, I would have laughed in your face.

northsid3r
05-02-2011, 04:43 PM
I hope they beat OKC, nothing against the players or the city but their owner can go to hell.

Jonnyiscool222
05-02-2011, 04:51 PM
I love Rooting for the UNDERDOGS!!!! The way they played San Antonio and Game 1 Vs Oklahoma looked like they can and will ADVANCE AGAIN!!!!!!!

Chronz
05-02-2011, 04:56 PM

If they hold on to that frontline with Conley and possibly getting something out of Mayo, that team could be elite once all the other powers die out next year (My prediction).

Chronz
05-02-2011, 04:57 PM
I like their core. But I am not sure if its enough to compete for a championship. But as I stated, a year ago, if you told me the Grizz would knock off the Spurs in the playoffs with ease, I would have laughed in your face.

What kind of potential do you see in them? In terms of regular season success + playoffs.

nolin
05-02-2011, 04:58 PM

???????? ok fair weather. care to explain ?

Hawkeye15
05-02-2011, 05:00 PM
If they hold on to that frontline with Conley and possibly getting something out of Mayo, that team could be elite once all the other powers die out next year (My prediction).

that is really the only chance I think they have. But what if the Clips have a nice draft and a summer that draws them a good FA. What if Morey pulls a "Morey", and the Rox are right back in it.

I do think the frontline is nice, and Conley plays with a nice change of pace outside that gets his defender rocking back and forth. I think Mayo is nearly a lost cause, but I never got the hype on him anyways. If they can continue to get defenders like Allen and Battier, and Arthur makes another jump like he did from last year to this year, I can get onboard with your stance, assuming the other elite teams take a step back due to age.

Does anyone else notice, that despite ZBo's improvements the last 2-3 seasons, there are at least 3 times a game where the 2006 ZBo makes an appearance?

nolin
05-02-2011, 05:00 PM
well we guarded them better than the thunder did....... grizz arent a 8 seed they can beat anyone out west

your post keep gettin dumber and dumber ... Grizz are for sure an 8th seed. look at the standings

nolin
05-02-2011, 05:08 PM
grizz are up 1 game i think alot of you are jumping on there bandwagon a little to early. they can beat okc theres no doubt. i still think okc wins this series though. they have a superstar in kevin durant. grizzlies have some solid pieces. but they have no one thats remotely close to being as good as KD.

Hawkeye15
05-02-2011, 05:09 PM
What kind of potential do you see in them? In terms of regular season success + playoffs.

Randolph is as good as he is getting imo. He will age well, due to his game being totally reliant on skill and savvy. I like Gasol's upside as a skilled big, and Arthur's improvement this year went largely unnoticed to the general fans. Conley, eh, I like his game, I do. But I am not sure he will ever be a PG who takes a series over. Rudy is Rudy. Above average efficiency wing who takes plays off, but can dominate stretches.

I think winning 55 games, and be a 1-2 round team and possibly even sniff WCF's. Its hard to see them making a finals run unless there are multiple internal improvements, and they will need to resign guys exactly like Allen, Battier, etc, to defend the perimeter, because if you have wings coming down the pipe at Randolph and Gasol, they are in trouble.

Gibby23
05-02-2011, 05:18 PM
Randolph is as good as he is getting imo. He will age well, due to his game being totally reliant on skill and savvy. I like Gasol's upside as a skilled big, and Arthur's improvement this year went largely unnoticed to the general fans. Conley, eh, I like his game, I do. But I am not sure he will ever be a PG who takes a series over. Gay is Gay. Above average efficiency wing who takes plays off, but can dominate stretches.

I think winning 55 games, and be a 1-2 round team and possibly even sniff WCF's. Its hard to see them making a finals run unless there are multiple internal improvements, and they will need to resign guys exactly like Allen, Battier, etc, to defend the perimeter, because if you have wings coming down the pipe at Randolph and Gasol, they are in trouble.

That isn't right.

Hawkeye15
05-02-2011, 05:20 PM
That isn't right.

haha, there, I fixed it. Didn't even think of that when I wrote it

Gibby23
05-02-2011, 05:22 PM
haha, there, I fixed it. Didn't even think of that when I wrote it

lol... Just messing around..

LeonFSU
05-02-2011, 05:24 PM
Sure I believe in them. But I think they are only found in the Northwest and in Canada. None as far south as Memphis.

Hawkeye15
05-02-2011, 05:25 PM
Sure I believe in them. But I think they are only found in the Northwest and in Canada. None as far south as Memphis.

haha

ohreally
05-02-2011, 05:26 PM
I'm hoping they beat OKC and before the series I picked them in 6, but I hate to jinx the teams I'd like see win. Pressure now is really on the Thunder, but the series is ar from over. Going forward they will improve. They have some promising young players and Gasol is just coming into his own. Mayo could get them something that could help since I think there are still a lot of people in the league that haven't written him off and see some potential. I would test the market with Gay too.

I do think they could match up against LA's bigs too, but I'm not sure they could win. Would be an interesting series though.

210Don
05-02-2011, 05:35 PM
i also add i dont see okc winning a game at memphis the spurs had a tough time there and were definitely rattled by the crowd. this could be a short series.... i do see okc winning game two though

Raph12
05-02-2011, 05:37 PM
They definitely can if they don't "fold" like Timmy said... They beat the Thunder 3 of 4 times in the season and matchup really well with them, so it's no fluke.

Gibby23
05-02-2011, 05:38 PM
i also add i dont see okc winning a game at memphis the spurs had a tough time there and were definitely rattled by the crowd. this could be a short series.... i do see okc winning game two though

The Thunder are better than the Spurs. You should be comparing this Spurs team to the Mavs team that got knocked out by an 8 seed, not a team that is in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

We get it, the Grizz beat your Spurs team and you want to hype the **** out of them now.

Hawkeye15
05-02-2011, 05:38 PM

just because the Spurs were handled easily doesn't mean the Thunder will be. Cmon man. Duncan looked 100 years old, and the rest of the team didn't play at a high level. Stop overrating them so badly for simply beating the Spurs up

Tanakid777
05-02-2011, 05:48 PM
Having two bigs who play both ends gives you a chance to beat anyone on any given night. Having this combined with hellacious perimeter D, good coaching and chemistry, and a productive bench gives you the ability to win multiple playoff series', especially with limited turnovers

cubswin25
05-02-2011, 05:54 PM
I still think the Thunder will win this series, but it's probably gonna go 7. The Thunder just need to play better defense, and they are capable of doing that. So far in all the playoff games I seen them play, it just looks like the Thunder are trying to outscore everyone instead of trying to stop them. They can get away with that against the Nuggets, with them not having a go to go late in games. But with the Grizzlies having a guy who can score late in games in Randolph. Well you aren't gonna get stops on him, unless you play good defense. Even if you do play good defense, you aren't going to stop him all the time. Which is why you need to play good defense the whole game, otherwise they are gonna be in a big hole like last game. Now if the Grizzlies had Rudy Gay instead of Sam Young playing. Well I might believe in the Grizzlies winning this series. But the Thunder are way too talented, and if they lose this series. It's because they beat themselves and didn't play as good as they were capable of on the defensive end.

Tanakid777
05-02-2011, 05:57 PM

:laugh2:

210Don
05-02-2011, 06:24 PM
well we we played them better than the thunder did in game one..... and the grizz are playing the best basketball of this playoffs i dont think anyone can deny that....

Sportfan
05-02-2011, 06:34 PM
No, Thunder will win in 6 and make it to the NBA Finals.

nolin
05-02-2011, 06:37 PM

very old team with tired old players and it showed. i know your probably about 12 or 13 so im going to give you some knowledgeble info. the NBA expanded its playoffs teams to 16 teams in 1984. 8 teams east. 8 teams west. Now thanks to the spurs. 4 #1 teams have lost to a 8th seed in the 27 years since the playoffs were expanded. out of those 4 8th seeds to win, only 1 yes 1 8th seed advanced past the 2nd round. but not only did that 1 8th seed advance pass the 2nd rd. but they made it all the way to the NBA finals. that team was the 1999 Newyork Knicks. Heres the problem with that kid. In 1998-1999 the NBA went through a lock out period. and teams only ended up playing 50 games that year. with team having to play back to back to back games, so that they can get 50 games in. So for a veteran team like the Newyork Knicks it took its toll on them. That knicks team also featured players such as Ewing, Sprewell,Camby, allan Houston, and grandmama (LJ
)
. I also believe Ewing and sprewell missed quite a bit of games that year. but came back for the playoffs. which helped them or should i say hurt them and helped make them the 8th seed. In a 82 game season that team is most likey a 3 or 4th seed. just trying to help you understand that it is very unlkely an 8th seed wins in the 1st rd. nevermind the 2nd. So before you crown this 8th seed memphis grizzlies team as western conference champions. look up the history of the league in your see 8th seeds dont go to finals. This is the best of 7 unlike football where every playoffs team actually has a chance win. do to single elimination games.

Baller1
05-02-2011, 06:39 PM
No, and before I get attacked, let me say that my claim isn't out of bitterness. Not an ounce. If they do go on to the WCF finals, then I will be behind them 100% and be rooting for them to go all the way.

But... They are massively overachieving right now. Like, a lot. Right now, their confidence is sky high, and for good reason. But they are not a better team than OKC, LA, or Dallas. As soon as they get knocked on their *** and their confidence regresses back to normal, I believe that they'll flop.

Again, if they advance past OKC, it will be because they deserved it. And I'll be right behind them rooting them on until they end. I stand my ground though, they're overachieving and it won't continue much longer.

(With that said, if they win game 2, they will sweep.)

nolin
05-02-2011, 06:44 PM
No, and before I get attacked, let me say that my claim isn't out of bitterness. Not an ounce. If they do go on to the WCF finals, then I will be behind them 100% and be rooting for them to go all the way.

But... They are massively overachieving right now. Like, a lot. Right now, their confidence is sky high, and for good reason. But they are not a better team than OKC, LA, or Dallas. As soon as they get knocked on their *** and their confidence regresses back to normal, I believe that they'll flop.

Again, if they advance past OKC, it will be because they deserved it. And I'll be right behind them rooting them on until they end. I stand my ground though, they're overachieving and it won't continue much longer.

:speechless: :speechless: :speechless::speechless: :speechless: :speechless:

Avenged
05-02-2011, 06:54 PM
I don't think they're overachieving..

Randolph and Gasol just can't be contained. The Spurs frontcourt had a tough time, and now the Thunder (at least in game 1) had a tough time with them both.

Sure they're overachieving for an 8th seed (in the sense) but this is who they are. They have an identity and they will not fold anymore. Best chance to beat them is to stop them both. Once (and if) they go up against L.A or Dallas, they will have to find other players to significantly step it up because both those teams have the bigs to contain Randolph and M. Gasol.

Storch
05-02-2011, 07:03 PM
The grizzlies do what the Lakers should be doing: PLAY INSIDE OUT. :pity:

PLAYERS FAN
05-02-2011, 07:13 PM
They can beat the Lakers.

nolin
05-02-2011, 07:15 PM

Randolph and Gasol just can't be contained. The Spurs frontcourt had a tough time, and now the Thunder (at least in game 1) had a tough time with them both.

Sure they're overachieving for an 8th seed (in the sense) but this is who they are. They have an identity and they will not fold anymore. Best chance to beat them is to stop them both. Once (and if) they go up against L.A or Dallas, they will have to find other players to significantly step it up because both those teams have the bigs to contain Randolph and M. Gasol.

dumb statement everyone can be contained.

championships
05-02-2011, 07:15 PM
WOW A team is riding a hot streak and everyone wants to jump all over the hype. They are playing well and definately overacheiving thus far but I believe at some point, They will hit a wall.

210Don
05-02-2011, 07:18 PM

yup that team executes perfectly conly runs that team to perfection, the defense is the best ive seen since o4 05 pistons, great defense+great execution = able to hang with anybody

dtmagnet
05-02-2011, 07:35 PM
I think they're going to the NBA finals.

mzgrizz
05-02-2011, 07:50 PM
The Grizzlies will win the series. Question should be if they could beat the Mavs or Lakers.

;)

Well I know it was JUST regular season, but we split with them. Just sayin

mzgrizz
05-02-2011, 07:53 PM

Well we have TA for another 3 years and Shane was probably a playoff rental although I'd love to see him stay

JUMPMANxAIRS
05-02-2011, 07:57 PM
Ya

Avenged
05-02-2011, 08:04 PM

Yeah, sure. The Spurs and Thunder have sure showed us that, huh?

Avenged
05-02-2011, 08:07 PM
Well I know it was JUST regular season, but we split with them. Just sayin

Oh for sure, the Grizz will be very tough to beat regardless. But it is only the regular season and it's not a clear indication of what happens in the playoffs. The Grizzlies are a good example of that, with them being an 8th seed and knocking out the 1st.

HuRRiCaNeS324
05-02-2011, 08:11 PM
If im a Grizzlies fan im excited (that is of course if Gasol stays).

With this same team right now, they wont do this again. They got hot at the right time because their perimeter shooters were not even close to shooting this good in the regular season.

But luckily they have someone who will make them a legitimate team, and that is of course Rudy Gay. Rudy doesn't have to be a star, he has to play within the same system they've been playing without him. But Rudy is their best wing scorer and is someone who will get you a shot when you need it in crunch time. You can have two great big men, but you need a perimeter player that can get theirs as well.

They need to keep drafting well because even with Rudy i still dont see them going to the WCF. And they also need to keep Tony Allen and Shane Battier.

Hawkeye15
05-02-2011, 08:27 PM

those two haven't been so far, because they are playing against frontcourts they have a size advantage on.

Why are so many of your posts standoffish? You could actually present a point without acting like you do.

KnicksR4Real
05-02-2011, 08:52 PM
Thunder are overrated and the Grizz are underrated.

KnicksorBust
05-02-2011, 09:08 PM
I said this was the toughest playoffs to predict in years and this matchup is a testament to that. Either one of these teams in the WCF would be enjoyable. I'm stickin with my guns on Durant and OKC. The Thunder have enough quality bigs to throw at the Grizz frontline and Randolph is due to have an off-game. I don't really believe the Grizz have enough scoring if Randolph throws up a 7-22 night.

Thunder take the series. Actually if anyone wants to add some fun to it and make a sig bet then let me know(no new posters please).

lila1443
05-02-2011, 09:25 PM
[SIZE="5"] I think the Grizz are 4real...coach Hollins is doing a superb job.. :clap:/SIZE]

mzgrizz
05-03-2011, 12:09 AM

You are so right about tomorrow night.
IF the Grizzlies can repeat what they did on Sunday.