PDA

View Full Version : Why did the Hornets trade Thornton and Collison?

HouRealCoach
05-01-2011, 12:35 AM
They traded these two players that couldve been stars for them for Ariza and Landry who are good but they couldve gotten much more. I think if they kept them they wouldve had a top 3 backcourt in the NBA. I think they shouldve gotten more with Peja's contract also... Jack is a helluva player but they couldve gotten more than just him, Banks, and Andersen

But why did they trade Thorton and Collison?

hotpotato1092
05-01-2011, 12:47 AM
They felt that Collison was unnecessary with CP3, so getting a guy like Ariza, who plays great defense and is a nice fit, was smart. I do agree that trading Thornton wasn't smart. He was always exactly what they needed next to CP3. Another guard who could create his own shot, someone who could carry the offense while CP3 was on the bench. That trade was a head scratcher to me.

CityofTreez
05-01-2011, 12:50 AM
I have no clue why they traded both, but being a Sac Kings fan, acquiring Thornton for Landry was HUGE! :clap:

Once Thornton arrived, he gave us a chance every night to Win, and I don't see that going away!

kblo247
05-01-2011, 12:53 AM
DC - To get Ariza and show Paul this summer they were willing to bring in pieces who knew how to win

Thornton - There were reports that he and Paul had beef, plus Green, Bellinelli, and Jack ate up his time

DerekRE_3
05-01-2011, 01:04 AM
Apparently the coach wasn't a fan of Thornton's defense. Which is funny because Belinelli took his minutes and he is rated one of the 20 worst defenders in the entire NBA according to Synergy statistics. There's just no way guys like Belinelli and Jack should have played in front of him.

I'm just glad we Thornton. Guy is a total stud and cold blooded.

FriedTofuz
05-01-2011, 02:53 AM
I have no clue why they traded both, but being a Sac Kings fan, acquiring Thornton for Landry was HUGE! :clap:

Once Thornton arrived, he gave us a chance every night to Win, and I don't see that going away!

Ive noticed that too. Thornton has been putting up big numbers along with the nbas other top sophomores. The kings even had a great stretch of games where they won alot of games. they even had a 4 game winning streak, i thought that was impressive. great move for the kings moving forward.

Sadds The Gr8
05-01-2011, 03:14 AM
Thornton didn't fit the system and the coach thought he sucked defensively. And Collison's stock was high after his impressive rookie season...they didn't need him with CP3 there

Law25
05-01-2011, 03:14 AM
I dont know why they traded Collison but i bet Indiana is glad they did, lol The kids an baller.

Wrigheyes4MVP
05-01-2011, 03:55 AM
Collison -- This was an understandable trade. They have CP3 and they wanted to get some value for Collison to help build around CP3 and company. You wish they could have gotten more than just Ariza, but at the time it was a fair trade, and Ariza is a solid player anyway.

Thornton -- Bad trade in general. The Hornets have been looking for that offensive minded SG who can shoot to play along side CP3 for a while now. They had the right guy the whole time but for whatever reason, they never gave him a chance to shine. It was a mistake my them, and now the Kings got to pickup a solid starting SG.

m26555
05-01-2011, 09:51 AM
New Orleans definitely missed the boat on Thornton. If he was having problems with Paul, then I can see why the Hornets decided to deal him, but if not, then what the hell were they thinking? Did they not see the numbers he put up when given playing time last season? I've been saying it ever since he came out of college: Thornton is a beast.

aussie
05-01-2011, 10:38 AM
Collison: CP3 is #1 PG and collison wouldn't of had a chance, so traded for ariza, who cp3 wanted for his defense

MT5: didn't fit hornets defense system at all, and from what i heard he and monty didnt get along well at all, so brought in an asset that hornets needed.

PS. This is my 1000th post :D

s3antana5757
05-01-2011, 10:45 AM
NO loses in 4 or 5 without Ariza. He played extremely well against LA. Wish he was still in purple and gold.

CavsYanksDuke
05-01-2011, 10:56 AM
Hindsight is 20/20, right? Geez...

Sportfan
05-01-2011, 10:59 AM
Trading Thornton was ****ing stupid, and it's funny cause I remember all the Kings fans were bummed up about it first. It's not like Thornton wasn't playing well either, he was getting a lot of points considering how little time he played

xbrackattackx
05-01-2011, 11:16 AM
I think they traded Thorton cause they needed a West replacement in Landry he is not as good but he is younger and not bad. Collison is a monster wish they could have played Paul and collison together throwing opps to okafor all day.

It'sMyTime
05-01-2011, 11:26 AM
They traded Thornton because they knew he would demand big bucks after his contract was up...

B'sCeltsPatsSox
05-01-2011, 11:32 AM
They traded Collison knowing he had a lot of value and wouldn't get much playing time playing under the league's top PG.

heyman321
05-01-2011, 12:44 PM
They traded Collison because he was unnecessary and had CP3.

They did NOT trade Thornton becasue of bad defense, but because he was playing terribly all year until he got traded. He shot like 4-13 every night and 1-5 on threes. He was a shadow of his rookie year and he really screwed up my fantasy team.

PrettyBoyJ
05-01-2011, 12:58 PM
It shows you some coaches dont know what they're doing.. Monty Williams benched Marcus Thorton because he thought he didnt play defense.. but yet he started marco belleneli which is a very poor defender and streaky shooter.. they had to be a personal problem because if a guy can score you 20+ a night why not start him regardless if his defense isnt the best

KB24PG16
05-01-2011, 12:58 PM
collison isnt going to be unnecessary when cp3 leaves...

DerekRE_3
05-01-2011, 01:18 PM
Trading Thornton was ****ing stupid, and it's funny cause I remember all the Kings fans were bummed up about it first. It's not like Thornton wasn't playing well either, he was getting a lot of points considering how little time he played

They were bummed because Kevin Martin eventually turned into Marcus Thornton, and that sounded bad at the time. Now, I'd take Thornton over Martin.

smith&wesson
05-01-2011, 01:33 PM
For ariza obviously. ariza was big for them in the playoffs.. huge infact.

AsfanSince99
05-01-2011, 02:10 PM
The Kings are my west coast home team, so thank you CP3 for not being able to get along with your teammate.

Thornton's been a mf stud! I love his killer instinct and intensity. He's not afraid to take that last shot; the kid is an absolute beast and def an impact player on the court.

As for Collison, can someone tell me why his stats dropped so much with Indiana? When he was in N'orleans, his assists were through the roof. Seems like he would routinely get 10+ assists p/game, then went to Indy and was very inconsistent. I'm basing this off of reading the boxscore only, so if others who actually watched games can chime in, that'd be great.

AsfanSince99
05-01-2011, 02:17 PM
They traded Thornton because they knew he would demand big bucks after his contract was up...
If that's the case, then the KINGS def have the cap space and MT will benefit.

collison isnt going to be unnecessary when cp3 leaves...
Bingo!

Ty Fast
05-01-2011, 02:22 PM
Collison: CP3 is #1 PG and collison wouldn't of had a chance, so traded for ariza, who cp3 wanted for his defense

MT5: didn't fit hornets defense system at all, and from what i heard he and monty didnt get along well at all, so brought in an asset that hornets needed.

PS. This is my 1000th post :D

congrats on your 1000th

DwayneMVPwade
05-01-2011, 02:36 PM
They traded collison because they got chris paul

They traded thorton because he was not used much

DerekRE_3
05-01-2011, 02:58 PM
They traded collison because they got chris paul

They traded thorton because he was not used much

He should have been though, that's the point. There's no way Belinelli, Willie Green, and Jack should get minutes instead of him.

aussie
05-01-2011, 08:35 PM
They traded Collison because he was unnecessary and had CP3.

They did NOT trade Thornton becasue of bad defense, but because he was playing terribly all year until he got traded. He shot like 4-13 every night and 1-5 on threes. He was a shadow of his rookie year and he really screwed up my fantasy team.

dude you have no idea

JordansBulls
05-03-2011, 04:27 PM
They traded these two players that couldve been stars for them for Ariza and Landry who are good but they couldve gotten much more. I think if they kept them they wouldve had a top 3 backcourt in the NBA. I think they shouldve gotten more with Peja's contract also... Jack is a helluva player but they couldve gotten more than just him, Banks, and Andersen

But why did they trade Thorton and Collison?

No need for Collison when you have CP3 around.