PDA

View Full Version : Do NBA players use substances to pad injury?

dnewguy
04-30-2011, 08:01 AM
Time after time I have seen NBA players get injured in the game during the regular season and sit out atleast a week but there are certain players like Kobe that are regarded as tough and can play through injury.

Lets not fool ourselves here, there is no way a human is tough enough to compete in the NBA with injury. I believe something else is at play here. The NBA fans don't ask questions when they see this happen but after Rose (ankle sprain) and Kobe (neck, ankle, pinkie, leg injuries) came back stronger in their next games, it seems they must have used something that actually gave them more energy/edge against other players. I see this as cheating, the NBA need to start investigating how this people are doing what ordinary people can't.

I think Kobe and Rose may have used some sort of steriods to get through the pain and that's just my personal opinion. Ankle sprains don't heal within a day, but somehow Rose and Kobe played better with the injury than when they didn't have injury. Is there foul play?

Your thoughts..........

dnewguy
04-30-2011, 08:08 AM
My fella NBA fans, this is not an intent to bait Rose or Kobe fans but I think we should start questioning why some superstars tend to play better with injury.

kingbrentg
04-30-2011, 08:13 AM
Have you never heard of cortisone shots? :confused:

Trueblue2
04-30-2011, 08:13 AM
Cortisone is a steroid

kingbrentg
04-30-2011, 08:14 AM
Right, and I don't understand how that'd be shocking. They're widely used and known about throughout sports.

ertanozgur
04-30-2011, 08:19 AM
tebrikler sevgilim. Şimdi bir sonraki basamağa gešelim. Şimdiden uyarıyorum 2 dakika išinde mailinde olacak olan soru biraz daha zor olacaktır

kblo247
04-30-2011, 08:22 AM
A 1 day steroid boost ....

Do you have a ****ing brain?

Do you know how ****ing stupid that sounds?

Do you know that roids like hgh are like birth control and have to be administered over a period of time to take effect?

Do you also know of this thing called cortisone?

Do you know that if you mix cortisone with adrenaline, pain receptors in the body are basically blocked, yet you feel it in the morning?

Do you know that in the NBA teams who actually have fanbases for more than say a year can by trainers, masseuses, and a magic machine called a CPM to alleviate the swelling of an ankle if the player is willing to sit long enough?

Do you know that different people have different pain tolerances, so while one may miss 6 games for a hurt pinkie on their non shooting hand, one might play through it?

Do you know that there are doctors which will actually specialize in equipment such as knee braces, pads, finger casts, shooting sleeves to protect an injured part of the body?

Do you know that if you create a thread saying the NBA should investigate Rose and Kobe for cheating and use PED's to get through a season, saying in no way am I accusing them the post down after you have accused this is ****ing stupid, childish, and a ******** way of not even manning up to what you have already claimed?

Do you know that you trolling has become an everyday topic and is out right laughable right now because of the fact that when Miami loses, you'll do what you were doing before you hopped on the bandwagon, which was disappear and go back under your bridge?

Did you know that if ordinary people could do what NBA players let alone superstar players could do, rosters would be greater than 15 per team and the market would not dictate such contracts?

Did you know any of that?

-----

Let me answer that for you, no you didn't because you can't comprehend it.

:facepalm:

dnewguy
04-30-2011, 08:23 AM
Cortisone is a steroid

If so, why do they get a pass?

kblo247
04-30-2011, 08:25 AM

:punish

dnewguy
04-30-2011, 08:25 AM

Do you know that roids like hgh are like birth control and have to be administered over a period of time to take effect?

Do you know that if you mix cortisone with adrenaline, pain receptors in the body are basically blocked, yet you feel it in the morning?

Do you know that in the NBA teams who actually have fanbases for more than say a year can by trainers, masseuses, and a magic machine called a CPM to alleviate the swelling of an ankle if the player is willing to sit long enough?

Do you know that different people have different pain tolerances, so while one may miss 6 games for a hurt pinkie on their non shooting hand, one might play through it?

Do you know that there are doctors which will actually specialize in equipment such as knee braces, pads, finger casts, shooting sleeves to protect an injured part of the body?

Do you know that if you create a thread saying the NBA should investigate Rose and Kobe for cheating and use PED's to get through a season, saying in no way am I accusing them the post down after you have accused this is ****ing stupid, childish, and a ******** way of not even manning up to what you have already claimed?

Do you know that you trolling has become an everyday topic and is out right laughable right now because of the fact that when Miami loses, you'll do what you were doing before you hopped on the bandwagon, which was disappear and go back under your bridge?

-----

No need to curse me out, I was only asking a question. In Sports there should be fair competition, injury is part of the game and it seems that you agree that they use something to restrain that injury which gives them more adrenaline rush....that is cheating IMO.

kingbrentg
04-30-2011, 08:27 AM

Because it's an anti-inflammatory drug, not an anabolic muscle increasing drug. They're administered by doctors and not an illegal substance.

kblo247
04-30-2011, 08:31 AM
Cortisone doesn't give an adrenaline rush. It numbs pain just like if you took a Tylenol for a headache or pepto for stomach pain. Adrenaline itself also numbs pain which is why you see players finish games hurt, but is a natural bodily reaction, the degree to which it numbs the pain and the length of the rush, depends on the particular person's makeup. Cortisone is perfectly legal in sports and in regular every day life for people who suffer injuries. It gives you no edge, and you take a risk by using said shot due to the fact the pain being numbed can cause you to suffer another injury without you knowing it, so it has its drawbacks which are explained to you when you get the shot.

I cussed and fussed because you shouldn't say people are cheating when they break no rule or law, let alone ignore the fact that what they used are offered by most doctors and hospitals in cases of severe sprains and injuries.

dnewguy
04-30-2011, 08:35 AM
Cortisone doesn't give an adrenaline rush. It numbs pain just like if you took a Tylenol for a headache or pepto for stomach pain. Adrenaline itself also numbs pain which is why you see players finish games hurt, but is a natural bodily reaction, the degree to which it numbs the pain and the length of the rush, depends on the particular person's makeup. Cortisone is perfectly legal in sports and in regular every day life for people who suffer injuries. It gives you no edge, and you take a risk by using said shot due to the fact the pain being numbed can cause you to suffer another injury without you knowing it, so it has its drawbacks which are explained to you when you get the shot.

I understand finishing games but coming back after a day break and playing better than you did in the previous games just seems suspicious. Kobe and Rose played their best playoffs games after injury. No swelling, they looked perfectly fine. Not even a limp.........that right there is suspicious and after discussing this with a Doctor and told of substances that could enhance performance this players are exposed to, I decided to make this thread.

Has anyone of you guys had a ankle sprain? Is there anyway you can do anything with that ankle just 2 days later?

Bullsfan22
04-30-2011, 08:41 AM
oh geeez

kblo247
04-30-2011, 08:42 AM
I don't know about Rose, but I know that Kobe was hooked up to a CPM from the time he got on a plane and was given one to keep at his personal disposal (he paid for it but still). It pumps the swelling out of your ankle and foot. A good therapist and trainer can also keep swelling down if they know what they are doing and tape the foot perfectly.

In short, just because you can't do something on a sprained or tweaked ankle doesn't make it impossible for someone else to do something on it. It just shows why you aren't a professional athlete, let alone superstar athlete.

And unless if you actually went up to them and looked at their bare feet you would not know if it was swollen or not.

dnewguy
04-30-2011, 08:45 AM
I don't know about Rose, but I know that Kobe was hooked up to a CPM from the time he got on a plane and was given one to keep at his personal disposal (he paid for it but still). It pumps the swelling out of your ankle and foot. A good therapist and trainer can also keep swelling down if they know what they are doing and tape the foot perfectly.

In short, just because you can't do something on a sprained or tweaked ankle doesn't make it impossible for someone else to do something on it. It just shows why you aren't a professional athlete, let alone superstar athlete.

That may be the case.

kingbrentg
04-30-2011, 08:47 AM
I cussed and fussed because you shouldn't say people are cheating when they break no rule or law, let alone ignore the fact that what they used are offered by most doctors and hospitals in cases of severe sprains and injuries.

This.

I understand finishing games but coming back after a day break and playing better than you did in the previous games just seems suspicious. Kobe and Rose played their best playoffs games after injury. No swelling, they looked perfectly fine. Not even a limp.........that right there is suspicious and after discussing this with a Doctor and told of substances that could enhance performance this players are exposed to, I decided to make this thread.

Has anyone of you guys had a ankle sprain? Is there anyway you can do anything with that ankle just 2 days later?

How is no inflammation or limp suspicious? That's what the shot is designed to do, it decreases the inflammation for a short period of time, allowing the player to play.

And yes, many times you can play after an ankle injury. There are various different degrees of sprained ankles and inflammation. Some are more severe than others. These guys are also world class athletes with the finest physicians available at their beckon call whenever necessary.

And this is just completely and simply out of curiosity, is Wade a cheater in your eyes too then? Because he's had the shots as well.

Wade quietly gutted it out through the playoffs with the help of two cortisone shots-one needle under his 12th rib and another in his buttocks. He endured so much pain after being injured in Game 5 against the Pistons that it hurt to breathe at night even with the numbing. It took him an hour to get out of bed the next morning. He couldn't shoot a basketball for seven weeks after the season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3717233

kblo247
04-30-2011, 08:52 AM
it is just like a knee being drained. It alleviates pain and swelling but has risk and shouldn't be constantly repeated, yet some do it.

For reference, Bynum had his knee drained in last years finals to make it through the series. Kobe had his knee that he needed and later would get surgery on 3 times, once half way through each of the WC playoff series last year.

Sometimes athletes just do what they fell they have to do, especially who know their body, and there is nothing wrong with doing it as long as you break no rule.

ackar
04-30-2011, 09:06 AM
@dnewguy I am not going to go into why I think your post is ridiculous everyone already gave you a verbal and mental smackdown however I'll tell you something personal about cortisone shots.

My orthopedic surgeon gave me one in my shoulder after my car accident let me tell you getting a very long needle put into your joint is not fun! Also the cortisone itself burns it was worse than pain and for me it did nothing its a gamble my DR today me cortisone is 50/50. I asked him what about when professional athletes get them isn't a cure-all he said he treated many athletes from pros and college most wind playing through the pain the shots just loose up the inflammation to make it bearable.

According to you after my miracle shot I should have been fine well two weeks later I still had to get shoulder surgery! Yeppers you post is idiotic and ill formed and yes it is bias *** hell. to me you picked two guys from teas you fear will your team and you already making excuses for shame smh!

mustaine
04-30-2011, 10:04 AM
Firstly, I don't see anything wrong with getting a cortisone shot to help play through pain. Saying it is cheating is stupid, it's widely used in sports to help players. It doesn't give people the edge, just helps with pain, how is that unfair?

Second, both my ankles are loose because I've twisted them so often, this helps me to play even though I twist them. I don't require a lengthy recovery time, when I twist an ankle it will hurt like hell for a minute or two, then once the initial pain subsided I'm able to play through it. It might hurt but it's not so bad that I can't run. I then ice the ankle when I come home and try to be careful. The next day it will be stiff but once I start walking on it I not highly bothered and I can play ball if I have to, with a bit of pain but I can play. This is something I can do and I don't have the fancy equipment to help me through injury like NBA players have, I also know other guys that have the same problem with their ankles and most of them do the same things and are able to play.

People have different threshold for pain, Kobe has already proved to have a high one. Rose seems to play through pain regularly, remember that he played with stomach ulcers earlier in the year... I'm betting those are more painful than a twisted ankle. Remember Allen Iverson playing trough almost everything and then you have guys like Boozer that seems to get injured every five minutes or so and misses games.

Shammyguy3
05-01-2011, 12:56 AM

Did you know that if ordinary people could do what NBA players let alone superstar players could do, rosters would be greater than 15 per team and the market would not dictate such contracts?

-----

And unless if you actually went up to them and looked at their bare feet you would not know if it was swollen or not.

it is just like a knee being drained. It alleviates pain and swelling but has risk and shouldn't be constantly repeated, yet some do it.

For reference, Bynum had his knee drained in last years finals to make it through the series. Kobe had his knee that he needed and later would get surgery on 3 times, once half way through each of the WC playoff series last year.

Sometimes athletes just do what they fell they have to do, especially who know their body, and there is nothing wrong with doing it as long as you break no rule.

kblo247 just humiliated dnewguy :laugh:

Hellcrooner
05-01-2011, 01:00 AM
In soccer is a common practice to Inject cortisone in the injured part of the body.

Its completely legal.

so obviously i assume they can use that too in nba?

And btw, if somehow we got all of the nba plaeyrs tested by surpirse any aleaotry day in the middle of the season ( as opposed to be tested ONCE at a PREESTABLISHED date for vets and TWICE with PREESTABLISHED date for rooks) we would get a real high number of unpleasant fall downs.

ChiSox219
05-01-2011, 01:48 AM
Kblo FTW

rabzouz 96
05-01-2011, 02:04 AM
Cortisone is a steroid

lol yep it is, but opposed to the steroids you mean its produced in the adrenal cortex and not a sexual hormone.

Jemikz9Clutch
05-01-2011, 04:16 AM

go to the philippines dude. you'll see injured players go to persons who just massage your injured body (we call it manghihilot) and then they play like nothing bad happened. i experienced that. doctor suspect i torn my meniscus and suggest surgery. i skipped that because of incoming sportsfest and went to a manghihilot. after the massage, i feel great, play at the sportsfest in major minutes for one week and won the championship. no pain since then. my bro also experienced that.

somebody i knew sprained his ankle and went to a manghihilot immediately. after that, he went to the championship game, won and also the mvp.

Trueblue2
05-01-2011, 04:20 AM

It's not an anabolic or androgenic steroid (doesnt mimic or convert to testosterone or androgen). It's a steroid in the same sense that albuterol and birth control are steroids. Anything that effects/acts like a hormone in your body is technically a steroid. Btw cortisone has some nasty sides.

John Walls Era
05-01-2011, 04:27 AM
Go easy on the OP, thought it was an interesting thread. Surprisingly learned something.

MacFitz92
05-01-2011, 04:44 AM
Players often take Cortisone injections to help reduce the inflammation of injuries. Yes, it is a "steroid" per say, but it isn't an anabolic steroid and isn't a "performance enhancer" in the since that it doesn't give you an unfair advanage over someone without it. Also, you're not looking at the kind of side effects that you'd find taking anabolic steroids. In fact, there really aren't side effects in cortisone shots, whereas anabolic steroids obviously lead to "roid rage", heart complications, and honestly can **** up your body.

I'm not quite understanding the question in the thread, and what the fuss is about, but cortisone injections are legal in the United States, and in the NBA.

rabueed
05-01-2011, 05:10 AM
Hey kblo, you know how you said dnewguy would go into hiding when the Heat lose?

I like how kingbrentg came up with the info on DWade and cortisone use and he hasn't responded to it. :shrug:

championships
05-01-2011, 05:33 AM
I thought everyone knew of Cortizone shots. Plus these guys are huge investments to the team. They have the best medical treatment available and have access to the best medical machines. People like you and I can't afford treatment like that. We sprain an ankle, and go to the hospital, all they do give you some crutches and tell you to put ice on it.

rabzouz 96
05-01-2011, 06:24 AM
to ops defense, its actually not that uncommon for athletes to use AAS after injuring themselves, in fear of losing their form/quickness and retain or regain their level of athleticism that they displayed before their injuries and, although not proven by studies, to make the endurance of the injury decisively shorter.

btw. op, these might interest you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8kExGzZfuM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9Bck11yIcU

rabzouz 96
05-01-2011, 06:36 AM
Players often take Cortisone injections to help reduce the inflammation of injuries. Yes, it is a "steroid" per say, but it isn't an anabolic steroid and isn't a "performance enhancer" in the since that it doesn't give you an unfair advanage over someone without it. Also, you're not looking at the kind of side effects that you'd find taking anabolic steroids. In fact, there really aren't side effects in cortisone shots, whereas anabolic steroids obviously lead to "roid rage", heart complications, and honestly can **** up your body.

I'm not quite understanding the question in the thread, and what the fuss is about, but cortisone injections are legal in the United States, and in the NBA.

there is not a single study that proves any severe side effects of steroids on humans besides hair loss, acne and a slightly larger risk to get some stress fractures and ankle injuries. and the side effects on cortisone are not to be taken lightly either with osteoporosis glaucoma,infections, steroid acne, etc.

and id consider the abillity to play through pain or inflammations a nice performance enhancement.

rabzouz 96
05-01-2011, 06:43 AM
go to the philippines dude. you'll see injured players go to persons who just massage your injured body (we call it manghihilot) and then they play like nothing bad happened. i experienced that. doctor suspect i torn my meniscus and suggest surgery. i skipped that because of incoming sportsfest and went to a manghihilot. after the massage, i feel great, play at the sportsfest in major minutes for one week and won the championship. no pain since then. my bro also experienced that.

somebody i knew sprained his ankle and went to a manghihilot immediately. after that, he went to the championship game, won and also the mvp.

yeah i did the same when i broke both arms and legs in the conference finals, i just went to a manghihilot and didnt feel any pain after this massage and went on to win the finals mvp

Jemikz9Clutch
05-01-2011, 11:37 AM
yeah i did the same when i broke both arms and legs in the conference finals, i just went to a manghihilot and didnt feel any pain after this massage and went on to win the finals mvp

good for you dude!:D

Storch
05-01-2011, 12:52 PM
Wow dude........ I'm a med student and this thread just made me drop my jaw. You should research pharmacology first before you start coming up conspiracy theories to bash players. You don't even know how steroids work. There's no such thing as a drug that can make you play better basketball and turn you into a superhero. The only thing possible that can help them play regularly are pain medications. They can also be assisted with a faster healing process through steroids, anti-inflammatory medications, and physical therapy. It has even been announced by commentators that Kobe has gotten a shot of morphine before playing to assist him with the pain. But even then, a shot of morphine cannot take the pain away completely, it still hurts and it still prevents him to play regularly, there's no miracle superhero shot. The dudes are just that determined to play.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

rabueed
05-01-2011, 12:59 PM
Wow dude........ I'm a med student and this thread just made me drop my jaw. You should research pharmacology first before you start coming up conspiracy theories to bash players. You don't even know how steroids work. There's no such thing as a drug that can make you play better basketball and turn you into a superhero. The only thing possible that can help them play regularly are pain medications. They can also be assisted with a faster healing process through steroids, anti-inflammatory medications, and physical therapy. It has even been announced by commentators that Kobe has gotten a shot of morphine before playing to assist him with the pain. But even then, a shot of morphine cannot take the pain away completely, it still hurts and it still prevents him to play regularly, there's no miracle superhero shot. The dudes are just that determined to play.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Haha, Storch, I was going to get more into detail on the subject, too, but I was too busy last night studying.

I think, as med students, it's like a pet peeve when people state extremely inaccurate medical information.

smith&wesson
05-01-2011, 01:28 PM

-----

i didnt know most of this stuff either. kinda cool .

pd1dish
05-01-2011, 02:00 PM
My fella NBA fans, this is not an intent to bait Rose or Kobe fans but I think we should start questioning why some superstars tend to play better with injury.

if substances are readily available to Rose and Kobe, they are readily available for every other player. superstars dont sit out when they get injured because they are still extremely valuable to their team even if they play with an injury. the way i view an injury is this...if you are injured and can still be a positive influence on the team by being out on the floor, then you can play.

also, ever heard of pain killer shots? they most definitely gave Rose and Kobe a heavy dose of pain killer shots probably to the point to where there is really no feeling in the part of the body that is injured.

chicago lulz
05-01-2011, 02:19 PM
Hey kblo, you know how you said dnewguy would go into hiding when the Heat lose?

I like how kingbrentg came up with the info on DWade and cortisone use and he hasn't responded to it. :shrug:

lol'd...as soon as I saw kingbrentg's post mentioning d-wade using cortisone shots, I figured I wouldn't see anymore dnewguy posts.

Dash
05-01-2011, 02:37 PM
Wade Bron Bosh, all used cortisone shots, so there you go.

Storch
05-01-2011, 03:05 PM
Dnewguy is just baiting again so he can make his favorite look like saints.

RapOZo
05-01-2011, 03:39 PM
it's Very Suspicious to him to see others superstars playing through pain.
Specially since he used to see his superstars crying fat tears and leaving on a wheelchair when they get injured.

chicago lulz
05-01-2011, 03:58 PM
hopefully OP makes less threads in the future, although not likely.

xxcubs22xx
05-01-2011, 04:04 PM
Time after time I have seen NBA players get injured in the game during the regular season and sit out atleast a week but there are certain players like Kobe that are regarded as tough and can play through injury.

Lets not fool ourselves here, there is no way a human is tough enough to compete in the NBA with injury. I believe something else is at play here. The NBA fans don't ask questions when they see this happen but after Rose (ankle sprain) and Kobe (neck, ankle, pinkie, leg injuries) came back stronger in their next games, it seems they must have used something that actually gave them more energy/edge against other players. I see this as cheating, the NBA need to start investigating how this people are doing what ordinary people can't.

I think Kobe and Rose may have used some sort of steriods to get through the pain and that's just my personal opinion. Ankle sprains don't heal within a day, but somehow Rose and Kobe played better with the injury than when they didn't have injury. Is there foul play?

Your thoughts..........

I vote this for WPOY

Worst Post of the Year.

Wow.

Knickrocketsfan
05-01-2011, 04:20 PM

-----

What is wrong with you go get a life man, there was no need for ur lengthy post bashing the kid. Looks like this is how you get ur anger out smh

xxcubs22xx
05-01-2011, 04:25 PM
Haha, Storch, I was going to get more into detail on the subject, too, but I was too busy last night studying.

I think, as med students, it's like a pet peeve when people state extremely inaccurate medical information.

I'm a Bio major (graduating next week), and share quite the similar pet peeve. Ugh.