PDA

View Full Version : Oh, The Irony!

MickeyMgl
04-30-2011, 12:51 AM
Is Greg Popovich going to again call for a committee to review the Pau Gasol trade, now that his team has been taken down by the products of that trade?

Marc Gasol
Greivis Vasquez (2010 1st-round pick)
Darrell Arthur (acquired via trade for Donte Greene [2008 1st-round pick])
Zach Randolph (signed with the cap space created by that deal)

Folks out there who have whined that the Lakers "stole" Pau Gasol can feel free to go right ahead and STFU now.

redsox0717
04-30-2011, 12:52 AM
The Lakers stole Pau

210Don
04-30-2011, 12:52 AM
yup it was a fair trade not at the time though so.....

MrfadeawayJB
04-30-2011, 12:54 AM
If you take the Championships out of it, it is almost even. If you include the championships we got ripped off bad. I dont include the championships :)

Hellcrooner
Is Greg Popovich going to again call for a committee to review the Pau Gasol trade, now that his team has been taken down by the products of that trade?

Marc Gasol

Folks out there who have whined that the Lakers "stole" Pau Gasol can feel free to go right ahead and STFU now.

i opened a thead on this after game 5.
they wont still recognise it they will say lakers won two titles and imply that memphis lucked out on Marc ( you know scouts have no improtance they dont knwo jack :rolleyes:)

MickeyMgl
yup it was a fair trade not at the time though so.....

Um, yes at the time it was, because at the time, the Grizzlies were only concerned with the future, which is now. So, at the time, they got exactly what they wanted, and I think it's fair to say it's worked out the way they wanted it to.

Hellcrooner
04-30-2011, 12:55 AM
If you take the Championships out of it, it is almost even. If you include the championships we got ripped off bad. I dont include the championships :)

except the goal for memphis on the trade was not titles

was rebuilding quicky and well.

lakers made the trade for the titles.

lakers got the titles

memphis got the quick rebuild

so that makes it a 100% fair trade.

MickeyMgl
04-30-2011, 12:56 AM

It would be silly to factor in championships, because different teams have different goals, realistically speaking. The Grizz had never won so much as a playoff GAME, if I am correct. They've gone and won a whole SERIES, impressively, against the top team in the conference. You have to crawl before you can walk. The Grizz were not judging their side of the trade with championships.

FriedTofuz
04-30-2011, 12:57 AM
When we look back at what memphis recieved, they got some very good value. At the time, it was a terrible trade, because we didnt know who would be drafted and what their impact would be. We also didnt know that the clippers would just trade randolph for cap space. As of this moment, it was a fair trade.

MrfadeawayJB
04-30-2011, 01:00 AM
It would be silly to factor in championships, because different teams have different goals, realistically speaking. The Grizz had never won so much as a playoff GAME, if I am correct. They've gone and won a whole SERIES, impressively, against the top team in the conference. You have to crawl before you can walk. The Grizz were not judging their side of the trade with championships.

yeah i dont factor chips, but many poster jump to the conclusion that the lakers were the winner because memphis "gave" them 2 championships.

HoopsDrive
04-30-2011, 01:01 AM
It's a fair trade.

Memphis did it for the future and LA for the chips. They both got what they wanted.

LakersMaster24
04-30-2011, 02:46 AM
On paper it looks like a highjack. But when you take a closer look, it turns out to be pretty reasonable.

The Jokemaker
04-30-2011, 02:48 AM
except the goal for memphis on the trade was not titles

was rebuilding quicky and well.

lakers made the trade for the titles.

lakers got the titles

memphis got the quick rebuild

so that makes it a 100% fair trade.

Hit the nail right on the head. Both teams got exactly what they wanted. In fact I'd call this one of those rare trades that worked out great for BOTH teams.

Illinirob83
04-30-2011, 03:07 AM
Swapping the Gasol's is a rebuild?

Jewelz0376
04-30-2011, 03:07 AM
Hit the nail right on the head. Both teams got exactly what they wanted. In fact I'd call this one of those rare trades that worked out great for BOTH teams.

x2

They are a perfect example of what you should do when you trade away an all star player....get picks, cap space, and/or young players...

championships
04-30-2011, 03:32 AM
In the end, The trade does not look as bad as it did at first. I'm sure Grizz fans are pretty happy with it now. Specially since they're in the second round now and Pau couldn't do that for them.

Hellcrooner
04-30-2011, 03:35 AM
In the end, The trade does not look as bad as it did at first. I'm sure Grizz fans are pretty happy with it now. Specially since they're in the second round now and Pau couldn't do that for them.

you mean Jason Chocolate, Stromile Swift, Bonzi wells, and Lorenzen wright

vs a PRIME GInobili/parker/Duncan etc or MvpNash/Stou/Hill/j Johnson etccouldnt do for pau what Conley, Battier, Marc Gasol, Henry, can do forZach? against almsot jubillee duncan parker and injured ginobili?

Kevj77
04-30-2011, 05:01 AM
x2

They are a perfect example of what you should do when you trade away an all star player....get picks, cap space, and/or young players...This is what people that called this trade terrible didn't understand. When you are looking to rebuild and trade a player like Gasol you never get equal value. Cap space, picks and prospects are what you look for when you are thinking two or three years down the road.

Lakers wanted it now, but they were close they just needed the last piece to win championships.

basketfan4life
04-30-2011, 05:16 AM

the lakers already had had Kobe at the time, so you are right not to factor in chips.

ImThatDude
04-30-2011, 06:32 AM

Marc Gasol

Zach Randolph was acquired using the expiring contract of Quentin Richardson, so you're telling me Marc Gasol, Vazquez and Arthur = Pau Gasol?

greenbaythunder
04-30-2011, 07:30 AM
Its not as bad as it was 4 yrs ago but look at it from pops view. Dey just got dey 4th ring den da best player in da game gets another legit big man to go wit dey young big man and L O. Now yea da grizz got better but da spurs r already past dey ship runs 4 da most part right now. If ur pop would u not feel close to da same way wen dat trade happens??

Trueblue2
04-30-2011, 07:55 AM
Zach Randolph was acquired using the expiring contract of Quentin Richardson, so you're telling me Marc Gasol, Vazquez and Arthur = Pau Gasol?

No, it's been established in the thread that when rebuilding you don't look for equal value in a trade, you look for cap space (which they got), draft picks (also got), and prospects (the other gasol).

Gram
04-30-2011, 09:48 AM
This is a pointless thread haha.

IDB Josh M
04-30-2011, 11:58 AM
Compare the "Gasol Steal" of 2008 to the Shaq trade in 2004. I would say it took Memphis a shorter time to get value from trading Gasol than it did the Lakers to get value from the Shaq trade. The trade that brought Gasol to the Lakers is still one of the affects of the Shaq trade.

Shaq --> Caron Butler, Lamar Odom, Brian Grant and draft picks
Caron Butler --> Kwame Brown and Laron Profit
Kwame Brown --> Pau Gasol

Trades take time to mature. The ideal is that teams trade to get better right now, but in reality, every team examines the trade on both sides. The Lakers will definitely not trade with the Celtics (and vice versa) if the trade helps the celtics right now. But that doesn't mean they aren't willing to do business. (See Gary Payton trade (http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/trade_040806.html))

pistonsfanomg
04-30-2011, 12:00 PM
Go Grizzlies!

MelkyNYY
04-30-2011, 01:09 PM

This is what people don't understand. You can't just lump in Zach as part of that trade. You just can't. It was Q that was a part of that trade.

It's still Pau for Marc, Vazquez, and Arthur - it's still rape.

Grizz probably could have gotten better value elsewhere.

Jewelz0376
04-30-2011, 01:16 PM
This is what people don't understand. You can't just lump in Zach as part of that trade. You just can't. It was Q that was a part of that trade.

It's still Pau for Marc, Vazquez, and Arthur - it's still rape.

Grizz probably could have gotten better value elsewhere.

Sure you can put zbo into it...The whole value in getting Qrich was what they could do with the cap room...Getting cap space can be just as valuable as getting players...When you think about it getting a player with an big expiring contract is pretty much the same as getting a pick...The value of both is what you get in the future..