PDA

View Full Version : Which upset was better: Warriors vs Dallas or Grizz vs Spurs?

CityofChaos
04-30-2011, 12:06 AM
Which is your favorite?

Both series were exciting to watch and had players that were dubbed heroes who turned their games around that season even although they were once considered headcases on their previous teams (Baron Davis and Zach Randolph).

Both teams have/had players that went under the radar throughout the season. Both were underdogs.

I think the Grizzlies have more depth than the 06-07 Warriors team but they beat the Spurs without Rudy Gay. On the other, hand the Warriors were never conisdered a good match up against the Mavs unlike Memphis who the Spurs didn't want to face.

BKdoubleStacker
04-30-2011, 12:10 AM
warriors and its not very close...The grizzlies are a much better defensive team and were a far better team than that warriors squad.

Although, that warriors team was so fun to watch with baron

Sadds The Gr8
04-30-2011, 12:11 AM
Warriors. Wasn't that team under .500, and the Mavs almost had 70 wins that year?

Crackadalic
04-30-2011, 12:12 AM
Warriors. They were at the bottom of the league in defensive numbers against a mavs team that were a top 4 defensive team

210Don
04-30-2011, 12:13 AM
warriors were a real 8 seed memphis is a almost perfect team they have every piece

ayuntalo
04-30-2011, 12:14 AM
Warriors over Mavs easily.
Warriors beat the mavs with grit in an entertaining fashion and with a lot of swagger.

memphis isnt a good match up for the spurs, they are just too big specially now that Duncan is regressing

The Jokemaker
04-30-2011, 12:16 AM
I'm biased.

Giantwarrior
04-30-2011, 12:24 AM
The Warriors by a longshot. they beat a 67win Maz team with the leagues MVP that year.

They had alot of Swag and character.

we believe.

Bruno
04-30-2011, 12:25 AM
I'd have to say Warriors over Mavericks still.

These '11 Spurs had no business being the #1 spot. Those Mavs won 67 games and had just played in the finals the year before/ their main pieces were still in their primes.

Duncan and Ginobli are not.

Hellcrooner
04-30-2011, 12:31 AM
Warriors.
Mavs werent as old and worn out as Spurs are.

MrfadeawayJB
04-30-2011, 12:34 AM
As a grizz fan i would go...Warriors. They were the most electrifying team i have ever seen on tv. They were so fun to watch, and i hated the mavs that year

Hellcrooner
04-30-2011, 12:36 AM
the difference is i think Grizz wont go cold next year as warriors did.
Wich means Warriors was a odd CASUALTY while Grizzlies is a result of good work.

Still it was more awesome and incredible warriors.

netsgiantsyanks
04-30-2011, 12:37 AM
warriors.

JordansBulls
04-30-2011, 12:45 AM
I say the Grizzlies because the Spurs were proven winners and champions and the Grizzlies had never won a playoff game before yet alone a series.

Hellcrooner
04-30-2011, 12:49 AM
I say the Grizzlies because the Spurs were proven winners and champions and the Grizzlies had never won a playoff game before yet alone a series.

so woudl it be more imrpessive if i beat bill russell in a one on one game that if i beat reggie miller?

mzgrizz
04-30-2011, 12:55 AM

This

IversonIsKrazy
04-30-2011, 12:56 AM
The Grizz upset was actually sad to watch. Watching the end of an era, a team with great sportmanship, class act of the greatest PF of all-time, seeing that team lose, in an upset, prolly their last shot at a run to the 'ship. It was actually sad to watch (as a spur fan).

Warriors was amazing to watch tho. lol. but im biased (spur fan) so Warriors over Mavs way WAY MORE FUN to watch lol

mzgrizz
04-30-2011, 12:57 AM
so woudl it be more imrpessive if i beat bill russell in a one on one game that if i beat reggie miller?

Hellcrooner, I would be impressed if you beat Ike Austin;)

Young2Kinsler
04-30-2011, 01:01 AM
warriors were a real 8 seed memphis is a almost perfect team they have every piece

You weren't saying the Griz were a perfect team before the series, lmao

Jewelz0376
04-30-2011, 01:02 AM
I went with Warriors...Memphis aren't really even a typical 8 seed....I actually think they will beat Okc... The Warriors series was great to watch too with the crazy gs crowds...and that Mavs were actually a title contender...the Spurs were never a title contender in my eyes...even if the spurs beat mem i had them losing to okc...

moshy2
04-30-2011, 01:10 AM
The Warriors more of an underdog and they dominated more. Grizzlies wins were by 3, 3, 18, and 8. The Warriors wins were 12, 18, 4, and 25

SugeKnight
04-30-2011, 01:39 AM
the difference is i think Grizz wont go cold next year as warriors did.
Wich means Warriors was a odd CASUALTY while Grizzlies is a result of good work.

Still it was more awesome and incredible warriors.

I wouldnt say the warriors went cold. We missed the playoffs the next year, but we were the best to team to not make the playoffs in the history of the nba record-wise (at that time). Management really ****ed up with that team, dumping jrich, al harrington, stephen jackson for nothing and letting baron walk.

MrfadeawayJB
04-30-2011, 01:52 AM
I wouldnt say the warriors went cold. We missed the playoffs the next year, but we were the best to team to not make the playoffs in the history of the nba record-wise (at that time). Management really ****ed up with that team, dumping jrich, al harrington, stephen jackson for nothing and letting baron walk.

yeah thats true... i felt the team lost thier identity once jackson and baron left. Didn't Barnes leave soon after? he was important for you guys

CityofChaos
04-30-2011, 02:10 AM
yeah thats true... i felt the team lost thier identity once jackson and baron left. Didn't Barnes leave soon after? he was important for you guys

I think Jackson was traded (didnt leave) in 09-10 because he didnt like how managment was doing nothing to improve the team and hated the fact that they got rid of JRich, Harrington, Barnes and how they let Baron walk away.

In the end the its sucks to see how they went from being an entertaining 48 win team to a waay below .500 team yet again the following seasons.

I dont think Memphis will fall apart like GS unless of course they screw up retaining Marc Gasol.

Iron24th
04-30-2011, 02:19 AM
Warriors. Wasn't that team under .500, and the Mavs almost had 70 wins that year?

Exactly,there was no reason for the mavs to lose it.

But Memphis is a legit team with potential to advance again.

IndiansFan337
04-30-2011, 02:29 AM
Obviously any #8 over an #1 is an upset...But the GS upset vs Dallas was the biggest upset ever....Everyone realized San Antonio was somewhat fading down the stretch, whereas the Mavs looked to be the top team in the NBA down the stretch of 2006-2007.

RaiderLakersA's
04-30-2011, 02:34 AM
Warriors over Mavs easily.
Warriors beat the mavs with grit in an entertaining fashion and with a lot of swagger.

Can't agree more, best evinced by Baron Davis' slam dunk. The entire Bay Area was energized by that series. It was CRAZY!

Avenged
04-30-2011, 03:12 AM
No excuses for the Spurs. At the end of the day they were in 1st, the Grizzlies in 8th. The Spurs were dominating teams and ended up with the best record overall.

The Grizzlies flew under everyones radar, and like JB said, they had never won a series let alone a playoff game. Just because they made the Spurs look like a JV team, lets not go and underrate how big of a upset this was.

Hellcrooner
04-30-2011, 03:15 AM
No excuses for the Spurs. At the end of the day they were in 1st, the Grizzlies in 8th. The Spurs were dominating teams and ended up with the best record overall.

The Grizzlies flew under everyones radar, and like JB said, they had never won a series let alone a playoff game. Just because they made the Spurs look like a JV team, lets no go and underrate how big of a upset this was.

not that much.

Memphis came alive when gay went down ( coincidence ? i say NOT)

had he not beenin the picture at all they could have probably been the5th or 4th seed.

championships
04-30-2011, 03:42 AM
Has to be the Warriors upset. Mavs won 67 games, Primed and ready to redeem themselves in the finals. They probably looked past Golden state and just got blindsided.

rabzouz 96
04-30-2011, 04:24 AM

The Grizzlies flew under everyones radar, and like JB said, they had never won a series let alone a playoff game. Just because they made the Spurs look like a JV team, lets not go and underrate how big of a upset this was.

i cant remember the warriors making the playoffs anytime close to the mavs-warriors series and the mavs had a long series of toprecord seasons and nice playoffseries. and the mavs went in as actual top notch contenders, not with the bitter aftertaste like the spurs this year, who held the toprecord but werent seen as much as contenders as the lakers, celtics, bulls and heat

rabzouz 96
04-30-2011, 04:26 AM
not that much.

Memphis came alive when gay went down ( coincidence ? i say NOT)

had he not beenin the picture at all they could have probably been the5th or 4th seed.

werent they on their 8-seed surge with gay still active, and feared losing it with him injured but still managed to hold it?

abe_froman
04-30-2011, 04:38 AM
the mavs.

this just didnt have the feel of being a huge upset.the spurs had a great record but it wasnt like any of the big 3 were dominating(timmy looking washed up the entire season)they were doing it with solid play of their role players.def were worse than their record indicated.with the grizz who everyone knew had talent and have been waiting on them to finally make the playoffs the past few years

the mavs won more games,dirk was mvp and they were on a mission that year,just beating up on everyone after being robbed at the finals the previous year.with the warriors coming out of nowhere

gsgs49
04-30-2011, 07:59 AM
Warriors by far,they won in fashion against a 67 wins team especially in the Game 6 blowout.
The difference between the mavs and warriors record was 25 games.
The difference between the spurs and the grizzlies record is 15 games.
Both are great upsets though.

gsgs49
04-30-2011, 08:09 AM
Which is your favorite?

Both series were exciting to watch and had players that were dubbed heroes who turned their games around that season even although they were once considered headcases on their previous teams (Baron Davis and Zach Randolph).

Both teams have/had players that went under the radar throughout the season. Both were underdogs.

I think the Grizzlies have more depth than the 06-07 Warriors team but they beat the Spurs without Rudy Gay. On the other, hand the Warriors were never conisdered a good match up against the Mavs unlike Memphis who the Spurs didn't want to face.

Wrong.It was even an uglier match up,and we mavs fans knew it before the series started,the warriors didn't only won in the playoffs,they swept the mavs 3-0 in the regular season.
Overall,Dallas record was 67-12 against 28 teams and 2-7 against the warriors.

Their speed and quickness and 3point shooting were too much for the mavs.
And I think also their coach was a factor,he was on the mavs bench 2 years before and he knew every player and every detail about the team.Don Nelson is the man who created Dirk Nowitzki.
Regardless,that mavs team should have won the series and the championship in 2007.

ragee
04-30-2011, 08:40 AM
Warriors... They had no business being in the playoffs yet they beat my Mavs... Correct me if I am wrong but didn't the Mavs did something in the regular season to make sure the Warriors goes in instead of the Clippers? Or something like that... I don't quite remember...

Spencesc11
04-30-2011, 08:53 AM
It's the Warriors but not a complete slam dunk.

1st the Dallas Mavericks that year were a favorite to get to the Finals and
played well throughout the year. Plus they had Dirk playing at an MVP level.

The Spurs despite having the West's best record this year were no better than the 3rd best team in the West in most people's eyes behind the Lakers and Thunder. Plus the Spurs are an aging team with a serious matchup problem for the Grizzlies two big men.

Would say the Memphis upset is still quite astonishing considering their suppossed best player (Rudy Gay) is out for the season.

king4day
04-30-2011, 09:02 AM
I think they said during the game that both the Griz and Spurs had a 33-18 record post-allstar break. The Grizzlies aren't an 8th seed if they came out of the gate running like they did in the second half of the season.

Spurs should have no shame in losing to Memphis. I think the Grizzlies also beat Dallas and maybe even LA had they played them in round one.
OKC is in for a big fight.

gsgs49
04-30-2011, 09:09 AM
Warriors... They had no business being in the playoffs yet they beat my Mavs... Correct me if I am wrong but didn't the Mavs did something in the regular season to make sure the Warriors goes in instead of the Clippers? Or something like that... I don't quite remember...

Yes you're right.
With 2 games remaining,the Warriors were ahead of the Clippers by one game and the Clips had the tie breaker then.
The mavs were 4-0 against the Clippers and 0-2 against the Warriors,which one do you prefer to face?Clips
And the last two games were a game at home against the warriors and a game against Seattle on the road.
Avery''dumb'' Johnson rested the starters against the warriors and played them against Seattle:facepalm:
If the starters played and the mavs won that game the clippers would be the 8 seed.

Giantwarrior
04-30-2011, 10:00 AM
I miss that 2007 Warriors team, they so much swag and character. They were Americas second favorite team. We had a Cheap owner and horrible management. we should have kept that team around for a few more years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbn72J8ass4

HouRealCoach
04-30-2011, 10:30 AM
Notice the format

Both 8th seed's won game 1 to make a statement
Then the 1 seed won G2
Then the 8th seeds went up 3-1
Then in game 5 the 8th seeds appeared that they would win but the 1 seed made late comebacks
Then the 8th seed finished at home

Kyben36
04-30-2011, 10:35 AM
Griz by far for me. the Griz simply beat the Spurs, and the spurs had no excuses. the GSW have allways been a team that shoots alot, and if they fall they are hard to beat. with that said, having a team go on a streak like the Wariors did isnt as impressive as what the Griz did to the Spurs. just simply man handled them throughout the playoffs.

BlondeBomber41
04-30-2011, 10:50 AM
The Warriors/Mavs series was a fluke. I have never seen a team shoot the ball so well for an entire series. They couldn't miss, no matter the circumstance. I still believe that if the Mavs played the Warriors that year in a best of 7 ten different times, the Mavs would of won the other 9. The Warriors just went on an incredible hot streak and couldn't freaking miss. It was so frustrating to watch.

tredigs
04-30-2011, 10:52 AM
Warriors beat them every game of the regular season that year too though. While it was obviously a hugely entertaining upset being how well the Mavs were playing against the rest of the league, I would have been shocked if GS didn't win that series.

Slightly fading or not, I didn't think Memphis could take 4 from San Antonio.

m26555
04-30-2011, 10:55 AM
The Warriors/Mavs series was a fluke. I have never seen a team shoot the ball so well for an entire series. They couldn't miss, no matter the circumstance. I still believe that if the Mavs played the Warriors that year in a best of 7 ten different times, the Mavs would of won the other 9. The Warriors just went on an incredible hot streak and couldn't freaking miss. It was so frustrating to watch.
Actually, the Warriors were a HUGE matchup problem for the Mavericks. Everyone knew this.

b@llhog24
04-30-2011, 10:56 AM
Didn't they say Baron's performance was one of the greatest of all time?
Davis averaged 25.3 points, 6.5 assists, 2.9 steals, and 4.5 rebounds if I'm not mistaken.

BlondeBomber41
04-30-2011, 10:58 AM
Griz by far for me. the Griz simply beat the Spurs, and the spurs had no excuses. the GSW have allways been a team that shoots alot, and if they fall they are hard to beat. with that said, having a team go on a streak like the Wariors did isnt as impressive as what the Griz did to the Spurs. just simply man handled them throughout the playoffs.

Yeah, exactly my feeling. The Warriors weren't beating the Mavs with great play, it was just incredible outside shooting. The Grizzlies earned every victory, just pummeled the Spurs.

BlondeBomber41
04-30-2011, 11:09 AM
Actually, the Warriors were a HUGE matchup problem for the Mavericks. Everyone knew this.

Did you actually watch the series? The matchups weren't the problem. The problem was that no matter how well the Mavs guarded the Warriors, they couldn't miss jump shots. Three pointers to be exact.

Add to that the fact that all of Dirks help went cold, and thats why they lost. I remember looking back after the series at each players shooting percentage and the only one who didn't shoot horrible was Devin Harris. Jason Terry, Jerry Stackhouse, Josh Howard, etc. all had an awful series. It wasn't because GSW was some amazing defensive team, it was because those guys just plain stunk it up. They had so many open shots from all the Dirk double and triple teams and just failed to make them.

m26555
04-30-2011, 11:10 AM
Did you actually watch the series? The matchups weren't the problem. The problem was that no matter how well the Mavs guarded the Warriors, they couldn't miss jump shots. Three pointers to be exact.

Add to that the fact that all of Dirks help went cold, and thats why they lost. I remember looking back after the series at each players shooting percentage and the only one who didn't shoot horrible was Devin Harris. Jason Terry, Jerry Stackhouse, Josh Howard, etc. all had an awful series. It wasn't because GSW was some amazing defensive team, it was because those guys just plain stunk it up. They had so many open shots from all the Dirk double and triple teams and just failed to make them.
Then would you care to explain why the Mavericks didn't beat them during that regular season either?

tallboy12321
04-30-2011, 11:11 AM

Yes

tredigs
04-30-2011, 11:14 AM
Yeah, exactly my feeling. The Warriors weren't beating the Mavs with great play, it was just incredible outside shooting. The Grizzlies earned every victory, just pummeled the Spurs.

Far from getting lucky hitting deep shots. That team played with more energy, more passion, better team D, and at a pace the lumbering Mavs just flat out couldn't keep up with. If you wanted to point to one single thing that beat your guys (though there were many), it would be fast break points.

Series was far from a fluke; they beat the Mavs every game in the regular season as well.

Seeing a few big plays inside the key myself... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V0Hm2Sh_AU&feature=related

Rocco Gandolfo
04-30-2011, 11:19 AM
Knicks beating their hated rivals the Heat hands down. Allan Houston game winning hoop rolling around the rim for what seemed like eternity before falling and putting a dagger in Tim Hardaways heart. Knicks Heat no question. This all happened after the previous year;s brawl when Jeff Van Gundy was being dragged around holding a heat players leg, PJ Brown cheap shot on charlie Ward....Knicks getting suspended....No patrick Ewing.....Alonzo Mourning crying....Pat Riley chump.....No doubt blows away any other 8 beating 1 series.

Giants-49ers-Ws
04-30-2011, 11:24 AM
props to the grizz that was sick

i'm a warriors fan, so i'm going with the dubs

i miss that team so much...baron, monta, j-rich, barnes, jackson, harrington, pietrus....so much swagger

Rocco Gandolfo
04-30-2011, 11:25 AM
Warriors.
Mavs werent as old and worn out as Spurs are.

OLD and WORN OUT sure dominated the NBA all year.

Hellcrooner
04-30-2011, 12:11 PM
OLD and WORN OUT sure dominated the NBA all year.

not all year they went cold the last two months and were near to lose the first seed , why? age knocking on their doors.

Hellcrooner
04-30-2011, 12:12 PM
and btw the right answer woudl be NEITHER

Nuggets FTW!!!!

SeoulBeatz
04-30-2011, 12:19 PM
Warrriorrrrs that was a beautiful upset. B diddy, j rich, monta as a sixth man.

FriedTofuz
04-30-2011, 12:29 PM
Warriors. They were at the bottom of the league in defensive numbers against a mavs team that were a top 4 defensive team

Yup. That really did suck for the mavericks. Now, the spurs are living the mavericks worse nightmare :(

iFYouSeekAmy
05-01-2011, 03:01 AM
I do not regret going to all the playoff home games at Oracle (vs Mavs and Jazz), and going partially deaf on one ear. Oracle was going crazy! I sure miss those days :sad:. **** Chris Cohan, that cheap bastard.

John Walls Era
05-01-2011, 04:25 AM
Spurs were really good this year, but it was a huge surprise and most people thought they weren't going to win. During that year when the Mavs were dominant, a lot of people were on that bandwagon. What the warriors did to them was insane.