PDA

View Full Version : NBA VP Maurice Evans optimistic NBA CAN AVOID lengthy Lockout

FriedTofuz
04-29-2011, 07:38 PM
National Basketball Players’ Association vice president Maurice Evans said players might be willing to relent on BRI, but do not intend to budge on a hard cap.

“In my opinion, the current deal we have now is actually working,” Evans said. “So if we can just work from there and try and figure out something that works for everybody… Again, we want to bargain with them. We don’t want to throw darts and say who is right and who is wrong. We just want to get a deal. There has to be some model that says this is how we do business and it’s consistent from here out. Tweak this, and work from there. Honestly, I don’t think there is anything more we can give and a hard cap is definitely not going to happen.”

The owners are also expected to push for reducing the length of guaranteed contracts, and limiting the guarantees on some deals, which Evans felt is unnecessary. “I don’t think there is nowhere to go from here,” he said. “Everything has gone down. We can’t continue to diminish the years of contracts. GMs and owners don’t have to sign players for those allotted number of years. We don’t need to self-govern them. Doesn’t make any sense.”

Evans said the NBA players couldn’t surrender the progress of previous generations with the next collective bargaining agreement. The union is ready for a lengthy fight. “We’re prepared and we’ve prepared for this for a long while. So are the owners. I hope no one has been preparing with malicious intent, to try and prove a point and be spiteful. We’re just trying to get a deal. We want basketball and we want football and we want all sports to be, because it’s a part of our culture and it’s a part of the values.”

Maurice Evans optimistic NBA can avoid lengthy lockout - Wizards Insider - The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wizards-insider/post/maurice_evans_optimistic_nba_can_avoid_lengthy_loc kout/2011/04/28/AFBrns5E_blog.html?wprss=wizards-insider)

This isnt to be confused for the player maurice evans ;)

ChiSox219
04-29-2011, 07:51 PM
The players have too much power. If they are unwilling to relinquish any of it, we'll be lucky to get a 50 game season.

smith&wesson
04-29-2011, 07:59 PM
i like the atitude. they want to get a deal. they dont want to point fingers at whos right and wrong. this tells me they have every intetion of making both sides happy and to resume with the season as schedualed.

JordansBulls
04-30-2011, 12:37 AM
The players have too much power. If they are unwilling to relinquish any of it, we'll be lucky to get a 50 game season.

This.

203 Uconn LaL
04-30-2011, 08:20 AM
How do the players have too much power? Their the ones actually playing the game,missing their families,playing through injuries,etc. And they shouldn't have their lives dictated to them from some rich dude who probably don't know **** about the game. Mark Cuban, the maloofs,and a few more who are interested in the actual game

hovyboo
04-30-2011, 08:54 AM
I agree that NBA player (and most athletes in general) have too much power. Recognize that owners have to make a sizable investment to purchase a team and pay for it's yearly functions (player salary, arena payments, food for arena etc). If any of you own a business you would be hard pressed to agree to a system where employees make 57% of the income (more than you) and you have to travel to another city and wait to pitch paying MILLIONS of dollars to a prospective employee (yeah Lebron and Dwade). Players should retreat on that 57% of basketball related income, and maybe multiply today's salaries by by .75 (Amare's max deal would now be for 75 mill). In all honesty the owners earned their riches and most players wouldn't be making any substantial money if it weren't for the overall health of the NBA. Imagine LeBron walking into an interview with no College degree and no work experience. Recognize there are players who are educated, but even they recognize how fortunate they are to be an NBA player. A communication major won't even net you an NBA minimum salary.

Players be realistic.... No hard cap, but owners make big investments in teams and they must profit. That's just the way it should work

king4day
04-30-2011, 08:59 AM
I agree that NBA player (and most athletes in general) have too much power. Recognize that owners have to make a sizable investment to purchase a team and pay for it's yearly functions (player salary, arena payments, food for arena etc). If any of you own a business you would be hard pressed to agree to a system where employees make 57% of the income (more than you) and you have to travel to another city and wait to pitch paying MILLIONS of dollars to a prospective employee (yeah Lebron and Dwade). Players should retreat on that 57% of basketball related income, and maybe multiply today's salaries by by .75 (Amare's max deal would now be for 75 mill). In all honesty the owners earned their riches and most players wouldn't be making any substantial money if it weren't for the overall health of the NBA. Imagine LeBron walking into an interview with no College degree and no work experience. Recognize there are players who are educated, but even they recognize how fortunate they are to be an NBA player. A communication major won't even net you an NBA minimum salary.

Players be realistic.... No hard cap, but owners make big investments in teams and they must profit. That's just the way it should work

nice post

hovyboo
05-01-2011, 06:20 PM
I just want to avoid the lockout... there will be no draft day trades if there is a lockout...

FriedTofuz
05-01-2011, 08:38 PM
I just want to avoid the lockout... there will be no draft day trades if there is a lockout...

We can only hope for the best :)

ChiSox219
05-02-2011, 02:21 AM
How do the players have too much power? Their the ones actually playing the game,missing their families,playing through injuries,etc. And they shouldn't have their lives dictated to them from some rich dude who probably don't know **** about the game. Mark Cuban, the maloofs,and a few more who are interested in the actual game

This is a common stance but like the Hovyboo said, if you are a business owner or even have a general concept of business, the current setup heavily favors the players.

Owners take the brunt of the risk, if they continue to lose money you will see contraction and fewer NBA jobs for those that have to "play through injury, miss families, etc."

I don't believe in max salaries but I also don't think contracts should be fully guaranteed. I have no problem with elite players making big money, the problem is mediocre players making eight figures and one bad contract destroying a franchise for 4-5 years.

Also, the fact that players can collude with no consequence needs to be looked at.