PDA

View Full Version : What does PSD think of my fanship?

davids22
04-28-2011, 05:11 PM
I'm from Milwaukee, so naturally I'm a fan of the Bucks. However, it is my belief that the NBA is more of a "players" league. It's much easier to have favorite players then a favorite team. I've discussed this with my friends and they all agree.

In my case, I'm a huge Lebron fan. Have been following him for most of his career and have wished for his success. I was never a Cavs fan persay but rooting for Lebron naturally meant rooting for the Cavs. I obviously root for the Heat now in this postseason. However, I love Ray Allen from his Buck days. I've usually always rooted for the Celtics once Lebron was out of the playoffs since I admire the talent of PP, Rondo, and Garnett.

One friend thinks it's ridiculous that I can be a "fan" of both the Heat and Celtics since they are rivals. I try telling him that I like the players and not the team, but he said it is still foolish.

What do you guys think? Am I odd for my choice of teams? BTW whoever wins the Miami Boston series is who I will be rooting for the rest of the way. But I will be rooting fe the Heat in that specific series.

Hawkeye15
04-28-2011, 05:15 PM
I am a huge fan of the Wolves, always will be, but sure, I like certain players a lot, which formulate which teams I like advancing, etc. But I do have a couple of teams that I absolutely despise, and no matter what player of mine that I loved went there, I would never root for them.

So I am a team guy AND a player guy. But I see nothing wrong with the way you conduct yourself as a fan. There is no right or wrong way.

Hell, I think its more annoying when homers of a city/team continually overrate all their players, and say everyone else sucks, until they get to that team, and all of a sudden "I LOVE THIS PLAYER!", and vice versa, where they will overrate one of their own, and when he leaves or is traded, all of a sudden he sucks.

Purple&Gold24
04-28-2011, 05:19 PM
What Hawkeye said.

But who do you root for when they play?

davids22
04-28-2011, 05:19 PM
Hell, I think its more annoying when homers of a city/team continually overrate all their players, and say everyone else sucks, until they get to that team, and all of a sudden "I LOVE THIS PLAYER!", and vice versa, where they will overrate one of their own, and when he leaves or is traded, all of a sudden he sucks.

pretty much Bulls and Knicks fans with Lebron...

davids22
04-28-2011, 05:21 PM
What Hawkeye said.

But who do you root for when they play?

I answered this at the end of my original post. Rooting for Miami in the upcoming series. But in predicting Celtics in 6.

ManRam
04-28-2011, 05:24 PM
I know a lot of people who root for players in the NBA, instead of teams. Especially considering where I've lived the last 10-15 years: non-NBA markets. I don't think there is a problem at all rooting for players and their respective teams. For a lot of people, there is no reason to root for laundry :shrug:

I'm honestly the same way with Lebron now. I'm rooting for the Heat, as crazy as it sounds, unless they play my Magic. I love liking LeBron, especially with the amount of hate he gets (some deserving, most not). I want him to succeed, just not at my team's (the laundry I root for) expense.

29$JerZ
04-28-2011, 05:25 PM
I am a huge fan of the Wolves, always will be, but sure, I like certain players a lot, which formulate which teams I like advancing, etc. But I do have a couple of teams that I absolutely despise, and no matter what player of mine that I loved went there, I would never root for them.

So I am a team guy AND a player guy. But I see nothing wrong with the way you conduct yourself as a fan. There is no right or wrong way.

Like the Melo trade with all the players involved :nod:

Jaji
04-28-2011, 05:26 PM
Hey, I'm from Buffalo. No basketball team since the Braves moved to LA (Clippers). I root for players too. LBJ is my favorite player because he's from Akron. I have family in Akron and spent a lot of time there growing up so he's like a home away from hometown hero for me. I've been following his career since HS. I was soooo happy he left Cleveland because I hate the Cavs and it hurt rooting for them. Miami is cool. I always liked the Heat (nice city, nice jerseys, logo, etc.). Plus I live in FL now. I wouldn't consider myself a Heat fan but I'm definitely rooting for them.

TomTerrific
04-28-2011, 05:27 PM
I sort of share that same feeling with the Celtics, Only cause i'm a huge Wolves fan as well and will always love Kevin Garnett...

I guess that's somewhat similar?

RAptorsNExtYeaR
04-28-2011, 05:39 PM
Mhmm i think your completely right. I love the raptors so much that i have always cheered for vince and tmac even though they are laughed at by everyone as under-acheivers and injury-prone. But it's true that players make you like teams, and without them, you don't care about the team. I have never cared for milwaukee since the ray allen days until yi made a brief stop (reppin china), and then i was wow'd by jennings . I have always loved beasley's game and will cheer for him no matter where he gets traded to :D

sep11ie
04-28-2011, 05:42 PM
Well, it's kinda because the players are more recognizable and their faces are on camera more. Also, an individual player can take over a game easier in the NBA making them more exciting to watch.

mttwlsn16
04-28-2011, 05:45 PM
my teams are yankees, vikings, clippers, so no OP youre not odd haha

Eagles4Lyfe
04-28-2011, 05:48 PM
I've said this million times before i still stand by the thought, If you can't cheer for your hometown team where you've lived your whole life and have to walk around the streets seeing millions of fans of, then your somewhat of a bandwagoner.
I mean liking a player is one thing but going against your city for one player is pretty outrageous.. Thats my honest opinion

Hawkeye15
04-28-2011, 05:48 PM
my teams are yankees, vikings, clippers, so no OP youre not odd haha

Wolves, Yankees, Texans :shrug:

Hawkeye15
04-28-2011, 05:51 PM
I've said this million times before i still stand by the thought, If you can't cheer for your hometown team where you've lived your whole life and have to walk around the streets seeing millions of fans of, then your somewhat of a bandwagoner.
I mean liking a player is one thing but going against your city for one player is pretty outrageous.. Thats my honest opinion

born in Kansas
moved to Iowa at 2 months
moved to Chicago at 3
moved to Minneapolis at 5
moved to Seattle at 8
back to Minneapolis at 10
moved to Galveston, TX at 19
lived in Houston since 2000

who should I root for?

ManRam
04-28-2011, 05:54 PM
I'm kind of like Hawk, I've lived in so many places that I don't even think I have a home town...

I like the Magic and Gators
I like the Sox and Patriots
I like the Pens

I have reasons as to why, and I've always liked them and no other teams...but when you think about it, if you don't have a hometown team, what is the point of clinging onto some laundry so intensely? I haven't lived in the state of Florida in 15 years, and probably never will again. Why do I feel a need to root for a team I don't call my "hometown team"? Same with the Boston teams...and eventually, when I leave Pittsburgh, the same with the Pens.

Especially in the NBA, in a player-driven league where one player can mean everything, rooting for players over teams is 100% IMO.

PhillyFaninLA
04-28-2011, 05:54 PM
IMO a fan of 2 teams in the same sport at the same level is a fan of none.

You can like any player you want and you can like more than 1 team but you can't be a fan of more than 1. If you like more then 1 team ask yourself the following question, if they where playing head to head who would you want to win...that's the team your a fan of.

TO to the CHI
04-28-2011, 05:55 PM
born in Kansas
moved to Chicago at 3
moved to Seattle at 8

who should I root for?

Yankees??????

rhino17
04-28-2011, 05:56 PM

I completely agree

PhillyFaninLA
04-28-2011, 05:56 PM
born in Kansas
moved to Chicago at 3
moved to Seattle at 8

who should I root for?

The team your a fan of does not need to be your home town. You should root for the teams you get the most enjoyment out of them winning.

avrpatsfan
04-28-2011, 05:58 PM
I'm a team fan (Celtics obviously) but I'm 100% cool with your fandom.

Hawkeye15
04-28-2011, 06:00 PM
Yankees??????

Grandfater the Father. Inherited...

haggis
born in Kansas
moved to Chicago at 3
moved to Seattle at 8

who should I root for?

The Edmonton Oilers

Hawkeye15
The team your a fan of does not need to be your home town. You should root for the teams you get the most enjoyment out of them winning.

The Wolves. Once every 3 weeks....

OG "Dee" LOCc
04-28-2011, 06:01 PM
I root for the Knicks. Whoevers on the knicks is my favorite player....thats it....players come and go...but teams will be here for the long run

KnicksR4Real
04-28-2011, 06:01 PM
One..... Interesting..... Thread.......

Hawkeye15
04-28-2011, 06:02 PM
I'm kind of like Hawk, I've lived in so many places that I don't even think I have a home town...

I like the Pens

I have reasons as to why, and I've always liked them and no other teams...but when you think about it, if you don't have a hometown team, what is the point of clinging onto some laundry so intensely? I haven't lived in the state of Florida in 15 years, and probably never will again. Why do I feel a need to root for a team I don't call my "hometown team"? Same with the Boston teams...and eventually, when I leave Pittsburgh, the same with the Pens.

Especially in the NBA, in a player-driven league where one player can mean everything, rooting for players over teams is 100% IMO.

I was 13 the year the Wolves started, living in Minny. Left in 1995, but still loved them. After the KG era, basically its something my best friend and I can still keep in contact a ton about. I have no clue why I still support them so hard.

When we win a championship in 2045, I will shed a little tear out of my 70 year old eye, and request a sliver of that trophy be sent to wherever I am getting my daipers changed. I earned it

RAptorsNExtYeaR
04-28-2011, 06:03 PM
born in Kansas
moved to Chicago at 3
moved to Seattle at 8

who should I root for?

RAptors!! :D:D:D

Pierzynski4Prez
04-28-2011, 06:09 PM
born in Kansas
moved to Chicago at 3
moved to Seattle at 8

who should I root for?

MN easily, only in Chi for 2 years, SEA for 2 years. Can't pick a hometown team at 19. Ages 5-8 is primetime team picking age. Same with 10-19 when truly starting to understand sports.

Eagles4Lyfe
04-28-2011, 06:12 PM
born in Kansas
moved to Chicago at 3
moved to Seattle at 8

who should I root for?
In this case i know in america you guys move from city to city a lot so I can agree with situations like this. Same with situations where your city has no team whatsoever so you can cheer for whoever.
But im talking about people say who live in a certain city for like their whole life, meaning since they were born they've been a resident of that city since birth, they have absolutely no reason to want to cheer a team of a city thats like 100's of miles away. I mean this is why people always make excuses when they complain about why fans don't attend games or why their teams moving. It's all because of loyalty..

I like the Pens

This right here is as big as an excuse anyone can make up just to bandwagon. Not singling you out but just sayin'

RAptorsNExtYeaR
04-28-2011, 06:19 PM
What if you liked a team soooo much and everyone on that team, then after trades and free agency, their all over the place. does that make u unloyal? I loved the 2007 phoenix suns. With Nash, Diaw, Stoudamire, Marion, Bell, barbosa. If only horry's elbow didnt' catch nash's face, all those guys coulda celebrated their first and only ring. But now i wish marion luck in dallas, stoudamire and melo luck in new york, diaw to be successful in charlotte, hoping for the best for bell next year in utah, and SOOOO glad we got barbosa even though we suck haha. Does that mean i jumped on the bandwagon of all these teams? (dont' asnwer that) and i will forever save every birthday wish for nash to win a championship no matter what team he is on.

nolin
04-28-2011, 06:29 PM
[QUOTE=davids22;17690601]I'm from Milwaukee, so naturally I'm a fan of the Bucks. However, it is my belief that the NBA is more of a "players" league. It's much easier to have favorite players then a favorite team. I've discussed this with my friends and they all agree.

In my case, I'm a huge Lebron fan. Have been following him for most of his career and have wished for his success. I was never a Cavs fan persay but rooting for Lebron naturally meant rooting for the Cavs. I obviously root for the Heat now in this postseason. However, I love Ray Allen from his Buck days. I've usually always rooted for the Celtics once Lebron was out of the playoffs since I admire the talent of PP, Rondo, and Garnett.

One friend thinks it's ridiculous that I can be a "fan" of both the Heat and Celtics since they are rivals. I try telling him that I like the players and not the team, but he said it is still foolish.

What do you guys think? Am I odd for my choice of teams? BTW whoever wins the Miami Boston series is who I will be rooting for the rest of the way. But I will be rooting fe the Heat in that specific series.

seems to me like your a bandwagoner. so who ever wins isgood for you

championships
04-28-2011, 06:31 PM
I guess it really depends on the person. If you have moved around your life, then I can see how you are a fan of multiple teams and players. If you have lived in one city most of your life, there is big possibilty that you are a die hard fan of your home town team.

I lived in So Cal for most of my life and when I moved it wasn't very far (Vegas). I am die hard Laker fan through and through and have no desire to be a fan of any other Bball team. I Have a huge family of multiple generation Laker fans.

I guess I'm that "Homer" type cause I am a laker fan first, If a player brings success to this team, then I am a fan of that player. Even if Kobe was traded back when he did his whole "Get me a better team or trade me" deal, I wouldn't be a fan of the team he went to. Actually I would careless about him cause he is not winning with the Lakers anymore.

Now If I were to move across country (Or World) I will still Die a laker fan.

smith&wesson
04-28-2011, 06:37 PM
no love for bandwagon fans. the only time its ok to not root for your own team and players is when your city dont have a team.

so your basically a fan of the two of the best three teams in the east ? seems kind of convenient.

Jaji
04-28-2011, 06:39 PM
IMO a fan of 2 teams in the same sport at the same level is a fan of none.

You can like any player you want and you can like more than 1 team but you can't be a fan of more than 1. If you like more then 1 team ask yourself the following question, if they where playing head to head who would you want to win...that's the team your a fan of.

x2

How can you be a fan of 2 teams from the same league? What if they're playing each other? I'm not saying you can't LIKE more than one team. But you can't be a fan(atic) of 2. I'm a die hard Bills fan. But I like the Bucs and Jags too. If either of those teams was playing the Bills... screw em! I like the Eagles too but that's different because I mainly like Vick (like the premise of this thread) so if it were a Philly/Bills Super Bowl (yeah right :laugh2:) I'd be rooting for the Bills but I'd be happy if Vick got the W.

Dash
04-28-2011, 06:40 PM
Don't bandwagon and your fine. :P

jrm2054
04-28-2011, 06:41 PM
from pittsburgh so no team. I root for players. CP3 D12 Amare dont like the teams just the players

gbpackers12
04-28-2011, 06:46 PM
My team is the Pistons but my favorite players are Dwight Howard, Ray Allen, and Monta Ellis so I root for the Magic, the Celtics, and the Warriors just for them. :shrug: I don't think there is anything wrong with the way you conduct yourself as a fan at all. In fact, I think it makes basketball more fun to watch.

ManRam
04-28-2011, 06:47 PM
This right here is as big as an excuse anyone can make up just to bandwagon. Not singling you out but just sayin'

I don't root for players in the NBA, I root for the Magic...so even if you are singling me out, I don't fit your criteria here.

But again, if you aren't from a city, what is the purpose of rooting literally for the laundry a team wears? It's nothing more than laundry if you grew up in the middle of nowhere or not near an NBA market.

Sure, it's an excuse to jump on bandwagons (I don't have a problem with bandwagoners as most I feel like, root for what makes you happy)...but I think for a lot of people there is no difference rooting for one player the teams he ends up on than it is rooting for a team that you don't associate with, you aren't from, and you have no reason to be loyal to, and sticking with it forever.

valade16
04-28-2011, 06:51 PM
One thing I've heard a lot in this thread is "I'm a big fan of LeBron". Cool, there's nothing wrong with being a fan of a player. But as a result are the Heat your favorite team now or did you have a team/player before that?

Remember LeBron came into the league in 2003, so unless you weren't a fan of the NBA until then I assume there was a team/player you rooted for before him.

And here is what I'm saying. If you were a fan of a team/player before LeBron (and the player hasn't retired) and then you switched, that makes you a bandwagon fan...

valade16
04-28-2011, 06:54 PM
I don't root for players in the NBA, I root for the Magic...so even if you are singling me out, I don't fit your criteria here.

But again, if you aren't from a city, what is the purpose of rooting literally for the laundry a team wears? It's nothing more than laundry if you grew up in the middle of nowhere or not near an NBA market.

Sure, it's an excuse to jump on bandwagons (I don't have a problem with bandwagoners as most I feel like, root for what makes you happy)...but I think for a lot of people there is no difference rooting for one player the teams he ends up on than it is rooting for a team that you don't associate with, you aren't from, and you have no reason to be loyal to, and sticking with it forever.

To you it's just laundry, but it's SO much more than that.

I'm a Blazers fan, and yes their "laundry" looks cool, but that isn't why I"m a fan.

I'm a fan because the city of Portland had for the longest time one pro team, and they and the city were synonymous. I root because in 77 the never made the playoffs Blazers won the title and sparked Blazermania. I root because were Rip City, and we have a reputation for being one of the toughest home courts in the league.

Every team has their own unique history and moments and plays and aura, those are what people root for. Not some "laundry" as you claim...

Eagles4Lyfe
04-28-2011, 06:55 PM

I know you don't i bolded the part of your quote to which i was responding to.
You said rooting for players in the NBA is more imp than a team or something like that to which i said sounsd like a big excuse..

davids22
04-28-2011, 06:55 PM
OP here. To all the people calling me a bandwagoner, you're right. I'll admit, I'm a HUGE bandwagon Heat fan. But only in the sense that I'm a LEBRON fan. If Lebron were to pack his bags and "take his talents" to another team, I would immediately jump on that wagon and leave the Heat in the dust. I wish for his success so I root for his team to win. I didn't start to root for the Heat because they were good, I just like my favorite player in the NBA and want to see him win. So am I a true Heat fan? No, I'm not. But I want them to win because I want to see my player win. If Lebron tore his ACL and was out the rest of the playoffs, I wouldn't be rooting for the Heat. My question to PSD was whether you people think that is ok or if it violates some sort of unwritten code. Seems like there are a lot of people like me though!

Yeah, it is conveinnent that the C's and Heat are 2 top teams in the East. Pretty sure I won't be a fan of the Celtics much longer after Ray, Pierce and Garnett are gone. Rondo is a stud, so it will be interesting to see what the future holds for the Celtics.

I'll ALWAYS be a fan of the Bucks and players that were great to the Bucks organization. That's the only team I'll root for year in and out. But I'm always going to come across players I admire and want to see them succeed.

smith&wesson
04-28-2011, 06:56 PM
One thing I've heard a lot in this thread is "I'm a big fan of LeBron". Cool, there's nothing wrong with being a fan of a player. But as a result are the Heat your favorite team now or did you have a team/player before that?

Remember LeBron came into the league in 2003, so unless you weren't a fan of the NBA until then I assume there was a team/player you rooted for before him.

And here is what I'm saying. If you were a fan of a team/player before LeBron (and the player hasn't retired) and then you switched, that makes you a bandwagon fan...

THIS!

and being a fan of miami and boston only suggests that you follow whichever team that has the most stars on it and has the best chance to win. that classic bandwagon.

davids22
04-28-2011, 07:00 PM

I was a fan of the Bucks before Lebron came into the league. Maybe after Lebrons first season or two, I came to really admire his game and therefore wanted to see him win. I never had any passion for the Cavs, just Lebron. So yeah, I guess I'm a bandwagoner. But is that a bad thing? I'll always root for the Bucks. The main question is who will I root for if Lebron plays my Bucks. I'll root for my Bucks, that's what. Because they are my TEAM. Realistically though, I knew the Heat had a much better chance at a title run, so in any game that wasn't Miami vs Milwaukee, I rooted for Miami. I actually went to a Heat/Bucks game in Milwaukee. I had my Bucks shirt on and was cheering for the Bucks. I wore my Lebron shirt (http://www.miamiheatbasketballjersey.com/products/heat-miami-2-176.jpg) underneath my Bucks shirt, however, because it was my first time seeing him in person and wanted to see him have a few amazing plays (as long as my Bucks still won though).

Does that help clear it up?

EDIT: You could say I'm like one of those Brett Favre fans. The ones who liked him over the actual team. The ones who stopped rooting for the Packers once he left and started rooting for the Jets/Vikings. But for the record, I'm a die-hard Packers fan, and hated Favre quite a lot after he left. Just thought it was a good comparison. I hated those Favre-fans who abandoned the Packers, but I guess in this case, I'm one of them (with Lebron). Sorry Cleveland.

championships
04-28-2011, 07:01 PM
Players come and go. That "laundry" will still be around far after the Players. No one is bigger than the game.

Jewelz0376
04-28-2011, 07:01 PM
I'm pretty much both...i'm a fan of players and teams...

I've lived in seattle, la, and mia....When i first started watching sports I was in la so the Lakers and Raiders are my teams...but when I moved to Mia I became more of a fan of Wade then the actual heat..

Before AI retired he was my favorite player so I rooted hard for any team he was on.... except when sixers played lakers in the finals...I pretty much didn't care either way...

Either way if you follow teams or players I don't think its a big deal....Lots of people I know are more a fan of players than teams when it comes to the nba

Jaji
04-28-2011, 07:02 PM

Before LeBron, my favorite player was Reggie Miller. He was my first favorite player. And I used to funk with the Pacers. I liked a lot of them. Smits, the Davis brothers, Mark Jackson, Sam Perkins when he was there, Jalen Rose, Travis Best... I even liked the new look Pacers when they added Artest and O'Neal. But once Reggie left, I lost all interest in Indiana. But by then I was rolling with LeBron.

Besides, LeBron was a unique case for me because of where he's from. We walked down some of the same streets, went to the same malls and probably played ball on some of the same courts (no, not at the same time!). Before LeBron James, Akron was famous for one thing and that was that line from the movie In Too Deep: "Akron? What yall got in Akron? Corn?" So seeing someone come out of Akron was big for me. And its not like the guy's a bum. He's actually pretty good.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
04-28-2011, 07:04 PM
I like the Longhorns, and Houston Texans Cuz I'm from Texas.

St. Louis Rams are my all-time favorite team because of Marshall Faulk and will stick by them.

I like the Cleveland Browns just cuz they have a cool name.

'Horns were disapointing this year. Texans, Browns Or Rams none of wich are very good.

I liked/fallowed the 76ers during Allen Iverson's tenure. Same w/ the Nugget's when Melo got there. Then by some miracle they teamed up! :D

Now Melo's on the Knicks so I fallow the Knicks now, so they're the team I support. and the Knicks are a 42 win team... So I dont think I'ma bandwagoner... Who knows tho.

It's funny how now Melo's overrated and hated by Nugget's fans, but while he was there for 7 1/2 years he was loved. just funny how it works.

valade16
04-28-2011, 07:05 PM
I was a fan of the Bucks before Lebron came into the league. Maybe after Lebrons first season or two, I came to really admire his game and therefore wanted to see him win. I never had any passion for the Cavs, just Lebron. So yeah, I guess I'm a bandwagoner. But is that a bad thing? I'll always root for the Bucks. The main question is who will I root for if Lebron plays my Bucks. I'll root for my Bucks, that's what. Because they are my TEAM. Realistically though, I knew the Heat had a much better chance at a title run, so in any game that wasn't Miami vs Milwaukee, I rooted for Miami. I actually went to a Heat/Bucks game in Milwaukee. I had my Bucks shirt on and was cheering for the Bucks. I wore my Lebron shirt (http://www.miamiheatbasketballjersey.com/products/heat-miami-2-176.jpg) underneath my Bucks shirt, however, because it was my first time seeing him in person and wanted to see him have a few amazing plays (as long as my Bucks still won though).

Does that help clear it up?

It clears it up. And no, I don't think your a bandwagon fan at all. A true bandwagon fan would do exactly as you did except STOP being a fan of the Bucks, because they weren't as good as LeBrons Cavs or Heat.

It's ok to root for players or even other teams. I do that as well. The difference is you have 1 team, that you live and die by. When that team loses in the playoffs you are physically hurt, when they win or lose big moments you cry.

That is your team. For you I'm assuming it's the Bucks. For me that is the Portland Trail Blazers, San Francisco 49ers, and the Oregon Ducks.

So long as you have that 1 true team, and they will always be the clear number 1, you will never be a bandwagon fan.

ManRam
04-28-2011, 07:05 PM
To you it's just laundry, but it's SO much more than that.

I'm a Blazers fan, and yes their "laundry" looks cool, but that isn't why I"m a fan.

I'm a fan because the city of Portland had for the longest time one pro team, and they and the city were synonymous. I root because in 77 the never made the playoffs Blazers won the title and sparked Blazermania. I root because were Rip City, and we have a reputation for being one of the toughest home courts in the league.

Every team has their own unique history and moments and plays and aura, those are what people root for. Not some "laundry" as you claim...

OK. But if you were from Boise Idaho, who would you root for? You wouldn't be so closely associated with the city of Portland, or care about those reasons half as much. The history of whatever team you root for becomes far less meaningful. For a lot of people, and rightfully so, it is just laundry.

I'm not saying I'm like this (I'm not, I just understand it). I've been a Magic fan basically since they were in existence. I do care about their history because I lived it. I do care about Red Sox history because my family lived it, shared it with me and I know so much about it. But if I was 14, didn't have a home town with an NBA team...who do you pick and why are you picking it? What is the point of sticking with a team that means nothing to you? Portland has meaning to you, but that's because you have a close relationship with the city. Not everyone has that relationship.

I didn't get this idea of "rooting for laundry" myself. A lot of great sportswriters have talked about it. Bill Simmons recently talked about it with the Celtics...and excerpt...

I thought Perk deserved better than getting blindsided in Denver, then having to limp around with a sprained knee and pack his stuff with tears rolling down his face. Maybe I'm a sap. But that was our guy. Family. On the phone, my dad decided -- completely seriously -- that he would rather have lost the 2011 title with Perkins than have tried to win it without him. Why?

"Because he was truly part of our team," Dad said. "I don't want to root for laundry. I watched that guy for eight years. That should mean something. Continuity should mean something."

Within a few weeks, both of us will have talked ourselves into the Jeff Green era. That's what fans do. We take the hits, shake them off, keep coming back. The Celtics will morph into something slightly different: a little more athletic, a little more flexible, a little younger and, hopefully, almost as tough. Perkins will fly to Oklahoma City, live out of a hotel room, make new friends and try to help Durant and Russell Westbrook make the Finals. Maybe the Celtics will see him there. It won't feel weird at all, because that's the way professional sports work. We are rooting for laundry. Whether we want to admit it or not.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/110225/part2&sportCat=nba

History matters, a lot. But it isn't meaningful for everyone. When that's the case, and players change, you are just rooting for laundry...especially when the city they play for means nothing to you, like a lot of fans.

Sly Guy
04-28-2011, 07:08 PM
I'm from Milwaukee, so naturally I'm a fan of the Bucks. However, it is my belief that the NBA is more of a "players" league. It's much easier to have favorite players then a favorite team. I've discussed this with my friends and they all agree.

as the mighty stephen colbert would say : pick a side, your teams are at war.

Jaji
Players come and go. That "laundry" will still be around far after the Players. No one is bigger than the game.

Just wondering, are you from Cali? If so then I see what you're saying. If not, then that's wack because anyone can pick the Lakers as their "favorite" team :rolleyes:. I can't stand people who are Laker fans, Cowboy fans and Yankee fans. Oh, and they're from Detroit. Really??? :eyebrow:

*not you, personally, just saying

valade16
Before LeBron, my favorite player was Reggie Miller. He was my first favorite player. And I used to funk with the Pacers. I liked a lot of them. Smits, the Davis brothers, Mark Jackson, Sam Perkins when he was there, Jalen Rose, Travis Best... I even liked the new look Pacers when they added Artest and O'Neal. But once Reggie left, I lost all interest in Indiana. But by then I was rolling with LeBron.

Besides, LeBron was a unique case for me because of where he's from. We walked down some of the same streets, went to the same malls and probably played ball on some of the same courts (no, not at the same time!). Before LeBron James, Akron was famous for one thing and that was that line from the movie In Too Deep: "Akron? What yall got in Akron? Corn?" So seeing someone come out of Akron was big for me. And its not like the guy's a bum. He's actually pretty good.

Yeah, stuff like a player being born in the same place or stuff can certainly make you a big fan. Personally, I'm a diehard about anything that comes out of Oregon, my home state.

Blazers, Ducks, Beer, Mushrooms, Wood. You name it, I support it if it's from Oregon so I can see that aspect.

I just can't imagine not having a team. It's just something that becomes a part of you. At least for me...

GeekInThePink
04-28-2011, 07:14 PM
I'm a fan of the Raptors, Jays and Colorado Avalanche. I am a fan of the leagues roster, I know that sounds kind of strange, I know every player (except the MLB, some teams are fuzzy) in the NHL and NBA. I use to write a blog for an alternate sports website and it inspired me to really go for it in learning rosters and stats.

I have always been a fan of those three teams.

Edit: I am in no means trying to sounds cocky or like im the king-****, I just know a lot about rosters.

valade16
04-28-2011, 07:16 PM
OK. But if you were from Boise Idaho, who would you root for? You wouldn't be so closely associated with the city of Portland, or care about those reasons half as much. The history of whatever team you root for becomes far less meaningful. For a lot of people, and rightfully so, it is just laundry.

History matters, a lot. But it isn't meaningful for everyone. When that's the case, and players change, you are just rooting for laundry...especially when the city they play for means nothing to you, like a lot of fans.

Well I can use my personal example being from Portland, Oregon, which doesn't have an NFL team, yet I'm about as Diehard Niner fan as they come. How did this occur?

Well, 3 reasons. 1st was my Dad was a Cowboys fan and I picked the red team to beat the blue team when I was 5. At the time I loved Power Rangers and the Red ranger (and therefore the color) red were my favorites, so I rooted for them. As I got older and learned more about football I realized the history of the Niners as well as their current QB Steve Young. He was left handed and so was I. They became my team forever more. I couldn't not root for them if I tried. Likewise for the Blazers and Ducks.

I guess if you don't care about the history of the team you could be just rooting for laundry, but I can't personally fathom that. I get so intense about my teams, there's no way I could ever "unllike" them short of the star QB or PG murdering a family of 12 and the rest of the players laughing about it.

theheatles
04-28-2011, 07:20 PM
i'm a fan of the nfl in the same way...i just root for all miami hurricanes

ManRam
04-28-2011, 07:21 PM
Well I can use my personal example being from Portland, Oregon, which doesn't have an NFL team, yet I'm about as Diehard Niner fan as they come. How did this occur?

Well, 3 reasons. 1st was my Dad was a Cowboys fan and I picked the red team to beat the blue team when I was 5. At the time I loved Power Rangers and the Red ranger (and therefore the color) red were my favorites, so I rooted for them. As I got older and learned more about football I realized the history of the Niners as well as their current QB Steve Young. He was left handed and so was I. They became my team forever more. I couldn't not root for them if I tried. Likewise for the Blazers and Ducks.

I guess if you don't care about the history of the team you could be just rooting for laundry, but I can't personally fathom that. I get so intense about my teams, there's no way I could ever "unllike" them short of the star QB or PG murdering a family of 12 and the rest of the players laughing about it.

I'm the same way. I'll never not like a team that I root for now...I just can't. I am too in love with the team. However, all I'm saying is that I totally understand why someone would root for a player over a team...especially when you don't live anywhere near a city or associate with a city that has pro teams. Carter15 is a perfect example of a user on this site that roots for a player and whatever team he is on. I have absolutely no problem with that, and nor should anyone else.

As for the liking two teams topic. In reality, we all have a second favorite team. Everyone has a team that they root for over every other team in the league besides their favorite. You "can" like two teams, and we all do. In fact, I'm sure we could all rank teams 1-30 if we watched every team play every other team in the league. We all root for a team when we see two teams play. So saying you like two teams is fine in my books.

DODGERS&LAKERS
04-28-2011, 07:26 PM

You can do that if you want, but you're just setting yourself up for double the disappointment when one team loses to the other, and then the other team loses to the Lakers :)

Bishnoff
04-28-2011, 07:45 PM
Players come and go, teams remain (generally).

I always support the teams I've barracked for since I was young: Phoenix Suns, Essendon Bombers (Australian Rules Football), Real Madrid (Soccer) etc.