PDA

View Full Version : NBA to adopt International Goaltending Rule?

king4day
04-28-2011, 01:13 PM
In an interview with 790 The Ticket in Miami, NBA commissioner David Stern indicated the league is considering adopting the international goaltending rule.

“Well I’m going to urge the owners — and it’s not very radical but we were talking about it for awhile — to adopt the international rule on basket interference,” Stern said.

“That is to say, once the ball hits the rim it’s in play. Because I think that it’s too hard to call. I think that we don’t want to stop the game every time to see if it’s the right call, but the camera that looks down on the basket can tell the story if the refs have gotten it right. And it’s just impossible to call to make whether the ball’s touching the rim, on the rim, off the rim or the like. And I think that would make the game faster, better, and less controversial. And I think we’re going to be putting in more — I forget the exact number — just more replay opportunities because we really want to get it right. So those are the biggest things.

“I also think we’re going to be talking about cutting out a timeout or two to move the game along. The last period, even in a close game, shouldn’t begin to approach an hour.”

http://sportsradiointerviews.com/2011/04/27/david-stern-nba-playoffs-lockout-lakers-heat-grizzlies-spurs-mark-cuban/

king4day
04-28-2011, 01:15 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about this as I thought America was the innovators of the sport.

It does make sense that it'd help speed the game up. The thing I'd hate is, if a ball bounced off the rim, then high into the backboard, does that mean a player can swat it away instead of letting it then fall into the hoop?

Sadds The Gr8
04-28-2011, 01:15 PM
Dwight Howard would = God of basketball -- if they used this rule

Crackadalic
04-28-2011, 01:23 PM

This. Dwight would surpass Lebron James as the best player if this rule is in effect.

Hellcrooner
04-28-2011, 01:35 PM
good.

we have adopted some nba rules too ( square zone, longer 3pt line, 24 seconds instead of 30)

i think is ****ing time NBA and FIBA sit togheter and make a half the way agreement to make the rules the SAME for the whole world.

mavwar53
04-28-2011, 01:36 PM

yep, this rule change would be completely stupid by the way.

iggypop123
04-28-2011, 01:38 PM
stern really loves the thunder. adopting rules to forget their stolen game 1

Supa
04-28-2011, 01:39 PM
So if adopted, if a guy shoot a shot that's going to go in anyway, but a teammate tip it in while on the rim.

The teammate gets a rebound and 2 points, while the guy shooting the good shot (and whoever also pass him the ball) got nothing?

---

AFlagRules
04-28-2011, 01:41 PM
Goal tending occurs during a shot for a field goal when a player touches the ball while it is completely above the level of the ring and:
It is on its downward flight to the basket, or
After it has hit the backboard.

Hellcrooner
04-28-2011, 02:26 PM
So if adopted, if a guy shoot a shot that's going to go in anyway, but a teammate tip it in while on the rim.

The teammate gets a rebound and 2 points, while the guy shooting the good shot (and whoever also pass him the ball) got nothing?

---

no he gets the two points and the "shooter" gets the assist

Raph12
04-28-2011, 02:27 PM
Dwight will put up 25ppg-20rpg on 65+FG% if this rule goes through...

---

No, the shooter gets something as well... A missed FGA lol.

Hellcrooner
04-28-2011, 02:32 PM
i dont know if people remember but dwight didnt precisely do very good on fiba rules on the olympics...

Sadds The Gr8
04-28-2011, 02:33 PM
i dont know if people remember but dwight didnt precisely do very good on fiba rules on the olympics...

that was when he sucked offensively. he's way better now than he was 2-3 years ago

Raph12
04-28-2011, 02:39 PM

11ppg on 75% FG shooting in 16mpg for a 9th/10th option isn't too bad in my books lol...
http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/08/olym/men/teamPlay/play/p/eventid/4004/langlc/en/playernumber/58455/roundid/6454/fe_teamPlay_playStat.html
Dwight 2011 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dwight 2008

Hellcrooner
04-28-2011, 02:41 PM
^he was punked out of the final by Pau and Marc.
Wade/kobe had to step up or usa would have lost the game.

TopsyTurvy
04-28-2011, 02:42 PM
This rule change should have been adopted years ago.

HuRRiCaNeS324
04-28-2011, 02:45 PM
Idk how i feel about this. Having opposing players reach into the rim and tip the ball out goes against everything ive been taught. That is pretty much the very definition of goaltending.

So many player will get robbed and there will be so many vultures and the stats will be inflated.

If Stern wants to make this less controversial, add a camera to the rim and review it on the next dead ball, simple.

thawv
04-28-2011, 02:58 PM
I can't believe this wasn't done from the beginning! Or at least modified years ago. This has always been a BS ticky tacky judgment rule. This is a must change.

Raph12
04-28-2011, 03:01 PM
^he was punked out of the final by Pau and Marc.
Wade/kobe had to step up or usa would have lost the game.

Again he was garbage offensively then, he destroyed both Gasol's this season, they were taking turns eating the dust he left them in on his way to the basket...

Missing56&33
04-28-2011, 03:08 PM
don't do this

Niro
04-28-2011, 03:09 PM
about time

kblo247
04-28-2011, 03:10 PM
Dwight and Bynum to a lesser degree should have a field day :laugh2:

210Don
04-28-2011, 03:19 PM
i think it would make for more dominant big men which cant hurt because there are none except d12

geraptor
04-28-2011, 03:20 PM
because it is to difficult to decide?really?

Hellcrooner
04-28-2011, 03:21 PM
Again he was garbage offensively then, he destroyed both Gasol's this season, they were taking turns eating the dust he left them in on his way to the basket...

mmm let me think who has the 09 ring?

Crackadalic
04-28-2011, 03:23 PM
Idk how i feel about this. Having opposing players reach into the rim and tip the ball out goes against everything ive been taught. That is pretty much the very definition of goaltending.

So many player will get robbed and there will be so many vultures and the stats will be inflated.

If Stern wants to make this less controversial, add a camera to the rim and review it on the next dead ball, simple.

I was thinking the same thing. I can understand minor changes but this is a huge change. Stuff we grow up learning is somehow being change for no reason. Whats next were not allowed to dribble the ball and dunks are worth 1 point?

Crackadalic
04-28-2011, 03:24 PM

Idk what your trying to say but If you really think Pau is the better big man NOW then your sadly mistaken. You can make a case a couple years ago but not right now. No other Big man Dominates the way he does NOW

Raph12
04-28-2011, 03:26 PM

Why don't you think about this year lol?

You keep reminding yourself of the past, but in today's league, no one player can stop Dwight Howard and with that new rule to be implemented... Game over.

kblo247
04-28-2011, 03:33 PM

You keep reminding yourself of the past, but in today's league, no one player can stop Dwight Howard and with that new rule to be implemented... Game over.

He doesn't stop him, but Andrew Bynum damn sure can limit him and go right back at him unlike any other C.

EDIT - for clarity, I at no time said Bynum was a better player, just that he matched up well

Hellcrooner
04-28-2011, 03:43 PM

mmm this year?

tonight two game 6s are being played .
Talk later.

And as i said, and back on topic people is jumping to assumptions.

Sabonis in the 90s was the top center in europe he was WAY better than anybody else ( taking on account he went into Nba being a 30+ dude with bad knees and still made GREAT you can jsut imagine how he was)
We had that rule.

he only won 1 euroleague.
So yes the rule does nto make good centers unstopablle.

Geargo Wallace
04-28-2011, 03:54 PM
good.

we have adopted some nba rules too ( square zone, longer 3pt line, 24 seconds instead of 30)

i think is ****ing time NBA and FIBA sit togheter and make a half the way agreement to make the rules the SAME for the whole world.

So the NBA should implement FIBA rules to make you guys happy? I don't see the point of meeting half way if its not better for the game.

Heater4life
04-28-2011, 03:55 PM
I love that rule. Its not like you can reach through the rim, i believe you can swat it on top of the cylinder but cannot reach through it to swat it. Crrect me if im wrong. Plus, this works for offensive players as well. Hands up on the tips.

I like it, we can adjust, the world isnt going to end.

thawv
04-28-2011, 04:01 PM

With all due respect. I don't think you understand the rule change. What you're saying is never going to happen. ...."once the ball hits the rim it’s in play". That's the rule change.

Quite often after a missed shot, the ball is still in the "cylinder", which means it's can't be touched by either team. That, IMO is a stupid rule. The shot is already missed, and already hit the rim. It should be able to be touched by either team, wherever the ball is at.

With the new rule, after a missed shot, if the ball is still in the "cylinder", it can be tipped back in by the offense, or swatted away by the defense. With the rule we have in place now, the ball can't be touched by either team until it has clearly fallen off the rim.

Heater4life
04-28-2011, 04:02 PM
Plus, this removes human error out of the factor. I rather Dwight Howard swatting a shot on the rim to kingdom come than have a ref make a bad call and cheat my team of 2 points.

Heater4life
04-28-2011, 04:03 PM
I hope this happens, i would love it.

0nekhmer
04-28-2011, 04:08 PM
i kind of like this rule, but it will be so unfair to the less athletic guys. For Dwight, he just needs to get in the paint, wait for the shot to go up, and put back anything that bounces around the rim..

Shmontaine
04-28-2011, 04:44 PM
not a good rule... it makes the game easier... there was what, a couple controversial calls and now we need to change the game?? no thank you...

and IMO this would cause just as much controversy... with this rule, all players will be going up to meet the ball right as it hits the rim... i believe this would cause more 'interference' calls due to players being closer to the ball before it hits the rim, waiting for a put back... the NBA is way more athletic than FIBA...

This would be a rule that would hurt the game IMO..

dtmagnet
04-28-2011, 04:46 PM
It will make fore more fast paced offense but will probably increase the number of offensive fouls.

NYKalltheway
04-28-2011, 05:00 PM
finally... someone has woken up. Now allow normal zone defenses(change 3sec defenisve rule to 5sec rule) and handchecking

Knickfansince97
04-28-2011, 05:06 PM
Yea i never liked this rule cause then you discredit a shot. the rule is good as it is now.

RAptorsNExtYeaR
04-28-2011, 05:09 PM
Sorry, i'm confused, so does that mean that any ball that's on the rim, any nba player can just go up and retrieve it? especially if it's bouncing around? or if it hits the back of the rim and bounces up real high? Wouldn't that kill the game as a tonne of forwards/center are athletic enough to just jump up and GRAB it rather than SWAT it? Guys with pure athleticism could wait for it to hit the rim and snatch it right off (remember james white?)
wouldn't this change the game completely?

Lu's Dynasty
04-28-2011, 06:03 PM
The best part of the whole quote was about the timeouts. I've been wanting that changed since I was a kid. There tend to be way too many timeouts at the end of games.

So, under FIBA rules do defensive players get to take the ball off the rim then instead of say having a ball bounce twice off the rim before going in? In other words can a defender grab that ball even if it's above the cylinder? Or what? I could see a player just knocking the ball on a back tap or just taking the ball whereas it would have had a chance to go in after in the initial bounce off the rim.

NYKalltheway
04-28-2011, 06:16 PM
lol if this leads to so many questions I wonder what will happen when Zone Defense gets allowed again :p

m26555
04-28-2011, 06:21 PM
I don't know why so many of you are for this, because this rule would be stupid beyond belief.

KnicksR4Real
04-28-2011, 06:35 PM
Dwight......... Oh ****

Hellcrooner
04-28-2011, 07:13 PM
from what im reading im realizing people does not understand the rule AT ALL

Nighthawk
04-28-2011, 07:38 PM
from what im reading im realizing people does not understand the rule AT ALL

Well then why dont you do your best to help em all understand better.

THE MTL
04-28-2011, 07:47 PM
I can see this rule going into effect and lasting ONE SEASON lol. The American-Born players are WAYYYYYY MOOORRRREEE ATHLETICALLY GIFTED than the Euro players. The rule can def be abused. Lebron James- Dwight Howard- Josh Smith.

Bishnoff
04-28-2011, 07:51 PM
RPG and BPG are going to increase across the league.

allSUAVE
04-28-2011, 07:54 PM
IMAGINE IBAKA MAnn

Stuckey#3
04-28-2011, 08:17 PM
For every good rule Stern has implemented he has ten that are completely rediculous. Why would he impose this when there are so many more important issues that should be addressed. The league is getting back to where it should be for attendence and ratings; this greedy ****er should just quit while he is ahead.

pd1dish
04-28-2011, 09:16 PM
its not going to speed the game up at all. its a meaningless excuse for this rule change. how many times does this happen per game? let alone how many times the refs actually go to replay to review it, it has to be less than 1 time per game. so, imo, this reasoning doesnt make sense to me.

i think the rule should just stay the same. i think that if the ball is over the cylinder (whether on rim or not), it should be off limits to all players to give it a chance to go in. i think that a player should have the opportunity to get the advantage of a shooter's roll, but if they change the rule and the ball is in play after it hits the rim, guys can just jump up and swat the ball from the basket even if it has a chance of going in.

Kinglorious
04-28-2011, 09:52 PM
So he's talking more so about cylinder interference? I think the rule that says a teammate can't tip the ball in when it's in the "invisible cylinder" is ********. If it's your team it shouldn't matter, but the opposing team shouldn't be able to bat it away.

Raph12
04-29-2011, 02:33 AM
He doesn't stop him, but Andrew Bynum damn sure can limit him and go right back at him unlike any other C.

EDIT - for clarity, I at no time said Bynum was a better player, just that he matched up well

26.5ppg-14rpg-2.5apg-2.5bpg on 70FG% (btw Bynum was 3-11 on iso situations with Dwight in the post, he scored most of his points of putbacks or open jams which Dwight gives up once in a while as he plays a 1-man zone)... But if those stats are considered to be "limitting" him, we'll take it.

mmm this year?

tonight two game 6s are being played .
Talk later.

And as i said, and back on topic people is jumping to assumptions.

Sabonis in the 90s was the top center in europe he was WAY better than anybody else ( taking on account he went into Nba being a 30+ dude with bad knees and still made GREAT you can jsut imagine how he was)
We had that rule.

he only won 1 euroleague.
So yes the rule does nto make good centers unstopablle.

What does the game have to do with anything, Gasol couldn't win a single series without Kobe, so what does that say for him?... Teams win games, not individuals.

Sabonis got eaten alive by all of the great centers (Hakeem, Shaq, DRob, Ewing, Zo, etc), if they allowed the basket interference rule in the NBA, those guys would reach Wilt numbers.

Hellcrooner
04-29-2011, 02:56 AM
26.5ppg-14rpg-2.5apg-2.5bpg on 70FG% (btw Bynum was 3-11 on iso situations with Dwight in the post, he scored most of his points of putbacks or open jams which Dwight gives up once in a while as he plays a 1-man zone)... But if those stats are considered to be "limitting" him, we'll take it.

What does the game have to do with anything, Gasol couldn't win a single series without Kobe, so what does that say for him?... Teams win games, not individuals.

Sabonis got eaten alive by all of the great centers (Hakeem, Shaq, DRob, Ewing, Zo, etc), if they allowed the basket interference rule in the NBA, those guys would reach Wilt numbers.

1 he was not eaten alive

2 he was OLD when he joined the league

3 he had NO knees when he joined the league.

4 Ask David Robinson bout Young uninjured sabonis and the Olympics.
he is still looking for the number of the truck that ran over him.

Raph12
04-29-2011, 03:09 AM
1 he was not eaten alive

2 he was OLD when he joined the league

3 he had NO knees when he joined the league.

4 Ask David Robinson bout Young uninjured sabonis and the Olympics.
he is still looking for the number of the truck that ran over him.

1. Shaq, Dream, DRob and Ewing destroyed him (especially Shaq), while Zo outplayed him.

2/3. Yeah I guess, but against Shaq and Dream, most guys look like they're old and don't have knees either lol.

4. I remember that, but not knowing the tendancies of your opponent plays a large factor. If he played in the NBA throughout his career, they would know exactly how to play against him, can't just look at one incidence.

BkOriginalOne
04-29-2011, 03:24 AM
Yao Ming would win DPOY.
I don't like defensive basket interference, it takes away from the drama of the ball bouncing into the rim.

FriedTofuz
04-30-2011, 12:07 PM
David Stern would like to employ internationally styled goaltending rules, which allow you to touch the ball as it rests on the rim, and he's incredibly daft if he's actually serious.

He wants to allow international-style goaltending rules to take hold of the NBA game. And he's a right nutter, if I can speak like an English-speaking European, for wanting to do so.

From an interview with Dan LeBatard, via Sports Radio Interviews:

"Well I'm going to urge the owners -- and it's not very radical but we were talking about it for awhile -- to adopt the international rule on basket interference. That is to say, once the ball hits the rim it's in play. Because I think that it's too hard to call. I think that we don't want to stop the game every time to see if it's the right call, but the camera that looks down on the basket can tell the story if the refs have gotten it right. And it's just impossible to call to make whether the ball's touching the rim, on the rim, off the rim or the like. And I think that would make the game faster, better, and less controversial."

Yes, totally less controversial. Because a player jumping up to knock a ball that is rolling around on a 10-foot rim would happen, what, once or twice a game? To Stern's eyes, the amount of iffy goaltending calls (usually about one or two a contest) would simply be replaced by the newly legal international-style legal goaltending.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/David-Stern-wants-to-make-the-NBA-worse-than-it-?urn=nba-wp2222

I dont think this rule is fair. Not sure if this is posted yet, but thoughts?

pistonsfanomg
04-30-2011, 12:16 PM
ok.

Avenged
04-30-2011, 02:38 PM
Lets bring the credibility of the league down more a bit. Way to go Stern.

FriedTofuz
04-30-2011, 02:51 PM
Lets bring the credibility of the league down more a bit. Way to go Stern.

Yeah this contradicts what Stern wanted to do. I heard he wanted to have an offical always watching the replays to assure the calls being accurate. But with this move, it really does contradict what We thought he was going to do.