PDA

View Full Version : If Phil Jackson coached the Knicks with 2 elite players in Melo and Amare

JordansBulls
04-28-2011, 11:38 AM
If Phil Jackson coached the Knicks with 2 elite players in Melo and Amare would they win a title?

Generally speaking Phil has had great teams, but not only that, but generally he has had the best player in the league whenever or whereever he coached.

So not taking away the talent he has on his teams and still giving him two top 10-12 players in the league, do you think he is good enough to win a title with the current Knicks squad in place do Mike DAntoni?

I think he obviously wins a title with the Miami team.

The Thunder or Mavs are other possiblities as well on if he would win with those teams.

Hawkeye15
04-28-2011, 11:41 AM
I don't think they have the depth yet, and they have nothing inside to defend the paint. Phil would get more out of them, but I still can't look at that roster as a title contender, talent wise. They still have some filling out to do.

SteBO
04-28-2011, 11:44 AM
You're not winning titles with Ronny Turiaf as your starting center. NY has a lot of work to do, moves to make, before becoming title contenders, even Jackson as their coach. One thing it would drastically improve though, is 'Melos' commitment to the defensive end on a consistent basis. That would help the team greatly.

Avenged
04-28-2011, 11:44 AM
They wouldn't have gotten swept. Still would have lost to the Celtics though.

ManRam
04-28-2011, 11:46 AM
Not this year they wouldn't have...not even close. That roster just isn't filled out correctly yet. I'm sure the defense would improve, but the defensive personnel isn't there yet either.

GMEN4EVER
04-28-2011, 11:51 AM
Not with the current roster as it stands, nobody wins a title with that. But if the knicks were able to add a quality center then maybe Phil would get it done. We might just find out after the 2012 off season if D'antoni is let go. But it's like the same odds as Lloyd getting laid in Dumb and Dumber, so for knicks fans like myself, we're sayin there's a chance! like a .1% chance of that goin down lol, only because Phil did play for the knicks back in the day and Dolan would offer him any amount of money Phil could want to coach. He'd prolly be the highest paid person in the NBA if he took the knicks coaching job, even more than max contract players lol. And to all the Laker's fans out there screamin no way Phil coaches another team! All I got to say is Bull's fans prolly felt the same in the late 90's too.

sep11ie
04-28-2011, 11:54 AM
PSD, where nothing but hypothetical threads happen.

justinnum1
04-28-2011, 11:57 AM
No way

Da Knicks
04-28-2011, 12:11 PM
For the future they would win, not this year though with all the injuries they went through. The triangle would be the best fit for the stars the knicks have right now.

MoBASS
04-28-2011, 12:31 PM
PSD, where nothing but hypothetical threads happen.

:clap:

todu82
04-28-2011, 12:33 PM
He'd make them better that's for sure but they still lack the depth needed to be serious title contenders.

J4KOP99
04-28-2011, 12:34 PM
Haha. Not a chance in hell. If Dolan asked Phil to come and coach this current team, Phil would take that Leprechaun and beat his ***.

If god was real, even he could not coach this current Knicks team to a championship.

Crackadalic
04-28-2011, 12:36 PM
The team has way too many holes to win a title. We be better defensively but only good enough to win a couple games and maybe a round

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-28-2011, 12:54 PM
Cant win when you're best player is amare or melo.

CowboysKB24
04-28-2011, 01:29 PM
Yeah he could, but Knicks would need a team. Not a 3-4 man squad they have right now, some nights its only two players. Knicks are still rebuilding. It is different than the Heat and Celtics transformations.

JordansBulls
05-02-2011, 01:28 PM
Cant win when you're best player is amare or melo.

Why is this?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-02-2011, 04:59 PM
Why is this?

no defense and you cant win a playoff series in todays league without a defense.

Jewelz0376
05-02-2011, 05:07 PM
no defense and you cant win a playoff series in todays league without a defense.

I agree with this but I think a big part of defense is who's coaching... If Phil was coaching that team I think they would play defense because Phil would demand it....You see how hard he rides Pau from the bench on D...he would do the same with Amare and Melo imo

JordansBulls
05-03-2011, 12:05 PM
I agree with this but I think a big part of defense is who's coaching... If Phil was coaching that team I think they would play defense because Phil would demand it....You see how hard he rides Pau from the bench on D...he would do the same with Amare and Melo imo

Depends on the coach as well, I completely agree with this. You think Nash can survive playing for Pat Riley? I doubt it.

JasonJohnHorn
05-03-2011, 03:19 PM
Phil Jackson is a defender at heart and he would need DEFENSIVE players to win. He's always had solid defenders on his team.

I believe Jackson is retiring this season, most especially if they win it all.

However, if he did go to NY, I think he would be more of a draw for free agents than Amare and Melo. Its like any great actor wants to work for the greatest directors. Brad Pitt can star in a movie with George Clooney anytime, but how often did Stanely Kubrick make a movie?

I think if Jackson does go to another team (which I dont believe he will), players would be more likely to follow him that NY's leading tag-team of Miami's Olympians.

KingPosey
05-03-2011, 06:39 PM
They wouldnt win. Phil only wins when he has a sure thing.

KnicksR4Real
05-03-2011, 07:17 PM
You're not winning titles with Ronny Turiaf as your starting center. NY has a lot of work to do, moves to make, before becoming title contenders, even Jackson as their coach. One thing it would drastically improve though, is 'Melos' commitment to the defensive end on a consistent basis. That would help the team greatly.

Either are the heat winning a title with Joel Anthony as their starting center.:facepalm:

KnicksR4Real
05-03-2011, 07:18 PM
We would be better, but not championship caliber. We need depth