PDA

View Full Version : Is Dwight Howard's offensive dominance for the betterment of the Magic?

Sadds The Gr8
04-27-2011, 07:40 PM
Yesterday i was watching the Magic/Hawks game and thought about this; because in that game, Howard was non-existant, yet the team still won.

Everyone knows that this year D12 became a dominant force on the offensive end, and further cemented his case for best C in the league. He's become so impressive that many people think he should be MVP (me being one of those people). But this year the Magic have won way less games and have become a worse team. They did have a huge overhaul, and that trade might be a big part of why they aren't as good this year. Another reason that i thought of, is that D12's dominance makes his teammates worse. Howard is a dominant scorer now, but it has come at a cost. This year, the Magic aren't nearly as balanced and aren't consistent AT ALL from 3pt land. Now that they're feeding D12 more than ever because of his emerging offensive game, it definitely has faults.

Howard has a whopping 16.2 TO%, and only has a 6.2 Assist%. For those who are unfamiliar with advanced stats, he averages 1.4 assists, and 3.4 turnovers per game. He has to have one of the worst assist-turnover ratios in the league (don't know where to look that stat up). He also gets fouled the most and takes the most FT's in the league, which he shoots at a low clip (59%).

The high amount of turnovers definitely hinder his team, along with the bad FT%. His very low AST% means that he is a very poor playmaker/passer out of the post, and that he doesn't get his teammates involved. With the amount of times they give Howard the ball, his teammates are just standing around and are basically useless because they most likely aren't getting the ball back.

Howard has had very impressive games, but the team has lost in alot of those games.

GM1 vs ATL - 46 pts, 19 rebs.
vs. NYK - 29 pts, 18 rebs
vs. Sac - 31 pts, 17 rebs
vs. Chi - 40 pts, 15 rebs
vs. Bos - 28 pts, 13 rebs
vs. Bos - 33 pts, 13 rebs
vs. Dal - 26 pts, 23 rebs
vs. Por - 39 pts, 15 rebs

those aren't all of his impressive games obviously, but they stand out the most.

So basically what i'm saying is that the team has become worse with Howard's offensive emergence. I'm not saying his offense is an excuse for Jrich, Hedo, Jameer and Arenas to ****in suck, but they clearly have been somewhat affected by it. They were better the last 2-3 years when they were a little bit more guard oriented with Jameer, and Hedo (Hedo's not a guard, but he sure as hell plays like one), and when the ball was more spread, offense more balanced, and the 3 pt shooting was more consistent back then for them.

Keep in mind, i'm not saying the Magic have regressed SOLELY because of Howard. I'm just wondering if u guys agree that with him dominating the ball, his flaws are brought out even more, and it's been hurting the team along with the crap play of Turk, Arenas, and others. The rest of the guys sucking might be an even bigger reason as to why they haven't been as good.

So basically, do you guys think that Howard's offensive emergence has somewhat hurt the Magic this season?

njnets
04-27-2011, 08:59 PM
i can see how it hurts them. the offense sometimes just watches him. although he can be dominating, it will hurt them at times. that goes for all superstars though. i think that he needs to have a good amount of touches and offense for them to win.

with that being said, however, with the various options that they have and his low FT percentage, i see how it can be a problem with him scoring a majority of their points. he is better suited, in my opinion, of being a second option. the first option because a dominant wing player. he would be able to p&r and dominate the glass on a missed drive. just my opinion though.

also, why are rebounds included in the stat where he scored points and they lost? rebounds are never a bad statistic for anyone to have. the points may be misleading because of field goal percentage but i do not see how a high amount of rebounds are bad for someone...

Sadds The Gr8
04-27-2011, 09:01 PM
i can see how it hurts them. the offense sometimes just watches him. although he can be dominating, it will hurt them at times. that goes for all superstars though. i think that he needs to have a good amount of touches and offense for them to win.

with that being said, however, with the various options that they have and his low FT percentage, i see how it can be a problem with him scoring a majority of their points. he is better suited, in my opinion, of being a second option. the first option because a dominant wing player. he would be able to p&r and dominate the glass on a missed drive. just my opinion though.

also, why are rebounds included in the stat where he scored points and they lost? rebounds are never a bad statistic for anyone to have. the points may be misleading because of field goal percentage but i do not see how a high amount of rebounds are bad for someone...

yea i don't know why i added rebounds lol. i guess its to make his stat-lines look more dominant

Raph12
04-27-2011, 09:04 PM
Lebron James effect... But keep in mind, they only force-feed him when they're sucking from the arc. Basically, the games that they are getting killed on the perimeter, they let him take over and sometimes they comeback and win, other times they don't.

When the shots are falling like they were in Game 5, you don't need Dwight to go for 30-15, but when you can't score to save your lives, then Dwight goes for a 25pt half, etc to keep them in it...