PDA

View Full Version : Lebron's Decision

ABOMB_56
04-27-2011, 05:54 PM
At least something positive came out of "The Decision". Maybe Lebron was being genuine when he said that he did this to raise money for the Boys and Girls Clubs of America.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/LeBron-8217-s-8216-Decision-8217-was-awful-;_ylt=Ar53h3n3eoKkl_ar6SrCVIo5nYcB?urn=nba-wp2143

Please don't troll/bait.

nickdymez
04-27-2011, 06:05 PM
I dont think anyone accused Lebron of lying about giving money to charity. But you can donate money to charity without humiliating an entire city

Heater4life
04-27-2011, 06:07 PM
Hate it or not, he did it with good intentions. Most criticize, but giving children something as opposed to Espn just reporting he signed in Miami is commendable.

ChicagoRox
04-27-2011, 06:07 PM
I dont think anyone accused Lebron of lying about giving money to charity. But you can donate money to charity without humiliating an entire city

So true....So true.

Heater4life
04-27-2011, 06:09 PM

Given, but you cant draw over 2 million dollars over a decision without going on tv.

Also, I find it a little sad as fans that we are more concerned about the feelings of fans for a sports team then we are for under privileged kids.

MrfadeawayJB
04-27-2011, 06:09 PM
hate it or not, he did it with good intentions. Most criticize, but giving children something as opposed to espn just reporting he signed in miami is commendable.

+ 1

ManRam
04-27-2011, 06:10 PM
Jim Gray said that LeBron was very hesitant to do The Decision and he only ultimately agreed when charities got involved. He's always been a very strong community figure.

I know people are reluctant to give him any credit, but some good came out of this :shrug:

And Cleveland would have been humiliated either way :shrug:

nickdymez
04-27-2011, 06:11 PM
Given, but you cant draw over 2 million dollars over a decision without going on tv.

I know your a heat fan and you gotta stick up for Lebron, but come on man.. You dont think that Lebron, one of the biggest stars on the planet, could have found thousands of ways of raising just as much money?

PhillyFaninLA
04-27-2011, 06:12 PM
I like it when people are topical.

sep11ie
04-27-2011, 06:13 PM
Only 2 million? How much of the basketball watching world watched that?

At least he made Wendy's shirts famous.

KnicksorBust
04-27-2011, 06:14 PM

Also, I find it a little sad as fans that we are more concerned about the feelings of fans for a sports team then we are for under privileged kids.

Spot on. There is no way to read this and think anything but positive things. There is no reason to pile on all the negative reasons. He's made a huge difference to over 50 Boys and Girls Clubs and countless numbers of kids. It was ugly while it happened but I'm happy for the kids.

Heater4life
04-27-2011, 06:17 PM
I know your a heat fan and you gotta stick up for Lebron, but come on man.. You dont think that Lebron, one of the biggest stars on the planet, could have found thousands of ways of raising just as much money?

It has nothing to do with being a Heat fan, i just call it how i see it. Your right he could have done it a million other ways; but at that moment and given the media circus surrounding his decision that was the most logical and easiest way to draw the money. Evident in the fact that it raised 2 million dollars in an hour of tv.

Was it hard on Cleveland fans? of course. But ill support under privileged kids before i vouch for the feelings of spoiled NBA fans. C'mon now, were talking about feelings v.s helping the poor. All though the tv show compounded the issue its not as if they still wouldnt have hated him for it.

effen5
04-27-2011, 06:18 PM

He didn't even have to tell the media he was doing it, if he found ways of raising money and donated the money to the boys and girls clubs without the media knowing, that would be even more commendable.

I follow Kyle Korver on facebook and he builds ramps for handicap people....whats even better is that hes doing that without the medias knowledge instead hes just doing it....

ManRam
04-27-2011, 06:19 PM

Tell me one other way he could have raised $2,000,000 in less than an hour?

thephoenixson28
04-27-2011, 06:21 PM
Buut how much of it went into his pocket. Don't get me wrong lebron is one of my favorite players. I think he wouldve had more of a positive feedback if he went to New York. He wouldn't have got all that attention about he couldn't do it by himself, cuz in new york it wouldve been his team.

ABOMB_56
04-27-2011, 06:23 PM

Donate it from his own salary :rolleyes:

effen5
04-27-2011, 06:23 PM

Hes Lebron James, one of the most marketable players in the league at that time, if he had a ****in party somewhere he could have raised that much.

ABOMB_56
04-27-2011, 06:24 PM
Buut how much of it went into his pocket. Don't get me wrong lebron is one of my favorite players. I think he wouldve had more of a positive feedback if he went to New York. He wouldn't have got all that attention about he couldn't do it by himself, cuz in new york it wouldve been his team.

None of the money went into his pocket. ESPN reaped the benefit from the ratings, and the B&G's clubs of America reaped the benefit in terms of cash. The only thing LBJ got out of it was worldwide hate for "dissing" Cleveland and becoming a villain.

Heater4life
He didn't even have to tell the media he was doing it, if he found ways of raising money and donated the money to the boys and girls clubs without the media knowing, that would be even more commendable.

I follow Kyle Korver on facebook and he builds ramps for handicap people....whats even better is that hes doing that without the medias knowledge instead hes just doing it....

I understand he could have found other ways of raising money but he had to announce where he was going regardless. To draw 2 million dollars out of what otherwise would have just been news that came and went is fantastic.

thephoenixson28
He made 9 million and he wasn't even in th NBA yet. There is alot more ways. Even him showing up to a place can get him that much money.

theheatles
04-27-2011, 06:25 PM

yeah it's so easy to just raise over $2,000,000...having thousands of ways to raise that kind of money would result in over $2,000,000,000...omg LeBron could be raising that kind of money for the kids but he's not because he's busy playing basketball, what a horrible human being....get a ****ing clue kid

Heater4life
04-27-2011, 06:27 PM
Lets be completely honest, the decision compounded the issue but people would have still hated him for leaving Cleveland to join the Heat.

He donated 1M out of his pocket for both Nike gear and HP computers. So he DID contribute out of his own pocket, read the article.

Heater4life
04-27-2011, 06:34 PM
This is sad.

These kids probably have f'ed up families live around drug dealers and constant crime and here they are thanking the guy for giving them access to a computer and a place where they can play on a nice wooden court, and escape from their problems.

Yet we care more about the feelings of people who are being entertained. Give me a break.

naps
04-27-2011, 06:36 PM
Whoever hates LeBron for decision (actually for not choosing your own team) should get a life because he/she can't stand the kids' welfare.

thephoenixson28
04-27-2011, 06:41 PM
Lets be completely honest, the decision compounded the issue but people would have still hated him for leaving Cleveland to join the Heat.

He donated 1M out of his pocket for both Nike gear and HP computers. So he DID contribute out of his own pocket, read the article.
I think he wouldve had more positive feedback if he went to new york, but since he joined 2 superstars he is a ringchaser. That's a stupid way of putting it, but that's the way he is painted out to be.

effen5
04-27-2011, 06:42 PM
Sure he gave 2 mil to BGC which is commendable but Cleveland lost a 100mil...

evadatam5150
04-27-2011, 06:52 PM

Let's be real.. The comments being made have nothing to do with his charitable contribution, give credit where credits due.. His contribution in no way shape or form changes the fact that he bailed on his city and his fans in a pretty despicable way.. Kudos for the charity work.. Doesn't change the fact he left an entire city in the lurch and behaved like a douche..

johnwayne
04-27-2011, 06:52 PM
he "raised" the money by him being the main event, he didnt donate it from his own bank account..... he's got millions and millions of ****in dollars and theres people dying of starvation everyday, theres people living in boxes a couple miles from where he lives in his multi million dollar mansion, u can kiss my *** with that 2 million....and this isnt just lebron james...its all these ****in MULTI MILLIONAIRES who "think" their doing something by donating PENNIES when theres millions of people dying of starvation, get the **** outta here, he'll donate as much money as he can without forfeiting any of his DIVA living situations...yea he raised 2 million for the kids, but i guarantee he has over 10 cars, 3 several mansions, and hundreds of thousands in jewelry....people are ****in brainwashed

Lakerhead4ever
04-27-2011, 06:54 PM
theres a good and a bad with what lebron did.

lets talk about the good

evadatam5150
04-27-2011, 07:00 PM
Whoever hates LeBron for decision (actually for not choosing your own team) should get a life because he/she can't stand the kids' welfare.

Has nothing to do with what team he's on.. You really think the Heat were this vilified before James got there..?? You're kidding yourself if you say yes.. Dude could have told his team, his GM, and his city what his intentions were before it turned into a full blown circus.. He could have told someone, anyone the truth so that they could have gotten fair market value or something close to fair market value.. Instead his team basically got squat and are basically the black hole of the league.. And yes the Cavs ownership could have shipped him out at anytime saving themselves the embarrassment but they chose to cling to the possibility that James wasn't going to leave them with nothing.. It's called loyalty.. Something James knows nothing about.. Don't think for a second he wont do it to Miami as well should things not work out the way he expects.. Just a matter of time, a zebra never changes his stripes and don't you forget that..

DaBear
04-27-2011, 07:03 PM
Let's all forget about how much of a douche bag he is and love him because he raised 2 million for kids. Yeah! Go LeBron! :up:

Honestly though, why are people so ****ing brainwashed? Why is it now announced that he did the decision to help underprivileged children when he's been taking heat for all these months? He's not the only player who has donated money to charities. And I love how he didn't want to do the decision until he learned that it would raise money for charities. What would he say to that? No, I don't care about charities? Maybe you could use some of that Liverpool money on those starving kids, huh LeBron?

Kevj77
04-27-2011, 07:05 PM
I dont think anyone accused Lebron of lying about giving money to charity. But you can donate money to charity without humiliating an entire cityCharitable donations are tax deductable. Lebron makes what 40-50 million dollars a year after endorsements. At a 35% tax rate he pays somewhere between 10-15 million in taxes depending on exactly how much he makes. He could have wrote them a check and got a tax write off. Many wealthy Americans donate millions to charity because they get to decide how the money is spent instead of giving it to Uncle Sam and having no idea where it is going. In the end it doesn't cost them anything because it's either donate it or pay it in taxes.

~Iggy~
04-27-2011, 07:09 PM
Bla bla bla. He should've donate more. Bla bla bla. He's helping kids, but let's not forget that in reality he's actually a douchbag. Bla bla bla.

FlashMacker
04-27-2011, 07:13 PM
-

jockrider
04-27-2011, 07:21 PM

from his bank? i love lebron but dude is a multi millionaire

KingPosey
04-27-2011, 07:22 PM
No dont get it twisted, it was purely an ego stroke. But he at least knew he couldnt pocket the money.

DaBear
04-27-2011, 07:27 PM
No dont get it twisted, it was purely an ego stroke. But he at least knew he couldnt pocket the money.

That's what I mean. If any of us had to either donate money to charities or give it away in tax, I think everyone would make the obvious choice.

DITKA4GOV
04-27-2011, 07:34 PM
I find this an interesting conversation. Yes, it is great that the decision helped under privledged kids. Yes, lebron could raise that money in numerous ways. Lebron could donate that amount out of his crazy salary if he cared that much. The truth is lebron needed the extra PR because he was leaving Cleveland. Stays in Cleveland, no decision show, no money for boys and girls club.
What is sometimes lost in this is the economic ramifications from lebron leaving Cleveland, a city with 9+% unemployment rate. The money the city stands to lose from his departure and the subsequent losing by the cavs is 98 million dollars more than what he gave the boys and girls club. So the businesses that strived under the excitement of the chosen one being there, go out of business without lbj being there. Is it his problem, no. Was the boys and girls club his problem, no.
So before we throw flowers at his generosity, look at the big picture. Yes, it was nice boys and girls club got money, but his actual decision did more damage to a city financially than possibly any player leaving any given team in history.
I mean I wouldn't vacation there, but his effect on leaving clevland should at least be noted.

valade16
04-27-2011, 07:37 PM

Donating it himself?:confused:

PhillyFaninLA
04-27-2011, 07:38 PM
Let's all forget about how much of a douche bag he is and love him because he raised 2 million for kids. Yeah! Go LeBron! :up:

Honestly though, why are people so ****ing brainwashed? Why is it now announced that he did the decision to help underprivileged children when he's been taking heat for all these months? He's not the only player who has donated money to charities. And I love how he didn't want to do the decision until he learned that it would raise money for charities. What would he say to that? No, I don't care about charities? Maybe you could use some of that Liverpool money on those starving kids, huh LeBron?

It was announced shortly before and during the decision.

DaBear
04-27-2011, 07:45 PM
I find this an interesting conversation. Yes, it is great that the decision helped under privledged kids. Yes, lebron could raise that money in numerous ways. Lebron could donate that amount out of his crazy salary if he cared that much. The truth is lebron needed the extra PR because he was leaving Cleveland. Stays in Cleveland, no decision show, no money for boys and girls club.
What is sometimes lost in this is the economic ramifications from lebron leaving Cleveland, a city with 9+% unemployment rate. The money the city stands to lose from his departure and the subsequent losing by the cavs is 98 million dollars more than what he gave the boys and girls club. So the businesses that strived under the excitement of the chosen one being there, go out of business without lbj being there. Is it his problem, no. Was the boys and girls club his problem, no.
So before we throw flowers at his generosity, look at the big picture. Yes, it was nice boys and girls club got money, but his actual decision did more damage to a city financially than possibly any player leaving any given team in history.
I mean I wouldn't vacation there, but his effect on leaving clevland should at least be noted.

:clap:

DaBear
04-27-2011, 07:46 PM
It was announced shortly before and during the decision.

Oh. Shame on me. Did they announce Cleveland lost 100 million after his decision?

jockrider
04-27-2011, 08:01 PM
Oh. Shame on me. Did they announce Cleveland lost 100 million after his decision?

who cares? im sure i feel sorry for gilbert and his millions no scratch that billions only thing i would feel sorry for is some people who may have lost their jobs....

TO to the CHI
04-27-2011, 08:12 PM
Donate it from his own salary :rolleyes:

I don't know why you roll your eyes. Many people make it an aim to donate 10% of their income to charity annually. It would really not be a big deal for LeBron to donate two million dollars (in the grand scheme of things). That being said, he might be donating amounts in excess of that and doing it quietly, so I am not judging, but to pretend that it is not plausible that he would simply cut a check for that amount when signing a $100 million contract is pretty absurd.

Hes Lebron James, one of the most marketable players in the league at that time, if he had a ****in party somewhere he could have raised that much.

No he couldn't. If he had a party somewhere, it could have raised somewhere in the low six figures, but he would have been very hard pressed to get up to two million dollars through a party.

I understand he could have found other ways of raising money but he had to announce where he was going regardless. To draw 2 million dollars out of what otherwise would have just been news that came and went is fantastic.

I think this is a great point. He did provide a benefit through this "news." And this thread is actually great because I do think that gets lost in the shuffle.

He made 9 million and he wasn't even in th NBA yet. There is alot more ways. Even him showing up to a place can get him that much money.

An appearance fee for a great athlete is typically about $50,000. Let's say there is a premium for LeBron, that would still not get him anywhere close to $2 million just for "showing up to a place." LeBron has lots of money and lots of ways to get more, but let's not oversell that ability just to cut down his big donation here.

Two things here:
1. The Decision compounded the issue as did the self aggrandizing manner in which he conducted his search for a team, especially as he made teams come to Cleveland to pitch him when it is very clear that he knew all along where he was going. Also, quitting on his team in the playoffs didn't help. Nonetheless, you are spot on that he would have take heat and been hated in Cleveland even if he had just announced he was leaving in a press release on the first day of free agency.

2. You should read the article instead of being condescending and wrong. The article says that he arranged for donations from Nike and HP. Those companies made those very generous donations. It does not say that he donated a million dollars. He still deserves credit for putting together the donations and helping a worthy cause, but no need to oversell.

This is sad.

These kids probably have f'ed up families live around drug dealers and constant crime and here they are thanking the guy for giving them access to a computer and a place where they can play on a nice wooden court, and escape from their problems.

Yet we care more about the feelings of people who are being entertained. Give me a break.

Again, this is just an oversell. It is not a matter of people weighing the feelings. LeBron could be charitable year round and quietly and help these families and kids. The criticism is not based on a condemnation of the event in light of the charity aspect, it is a criticism of the event as a whole. I would be surprised if any critic of LeBron cares more about Cavs fans than about underprivileged children, but I think you are conflating issues in your statements here.

To be clear, the Decision provided some great benefits and this article does a good job of covering those benefits. I am glad they were raised in this thread. But it doesn't eliminate many of the less attractive aspects of LeBron's conduct last summer. And it doesn't change the fact that there are many reasons that people dislike him beyond the Decision. Similarly, it doesn't change the fact that the best basketball player on the planet arranged for a large charitable donation.

D Roses Bulls
04-27-2011, 08:16 PM

write a check :confused:

gotoHcarolina52
04-27-2011, 08:24 PM
:laugh:

Arch Stanton
04-28-2011, 12:04 AM

Yes people probably would've still hated him. But it wouldn't be anywhere near the number that do now. Regardless if he was hesitant about doing the decision or not, he still did it. And it turned to be quite classless. Even with donating that money to charity. And to the audience that just looks like he's trying to dress up the situation so he's not viewed as a bad guy. So by saying he only agreed to do the show with a donation to a charity being involved, tells me that he's trying to manipulate the viewers. He also went on Larry King and agreed with King saying that Cleveland had an edge.

Arch Stanton
04-28-2011, 12:11 AM
This is sad.

Is that so? So LeBron put on his cape and swooped down and saved all the drug and crime infested families in the US?
What's next for LeBron? Is he going to slay the dragon and save the princess?
Maybe on off days he can bat clean up for the Marlins?
I can't wait to read his book "How I cured Cancer!"

jzero
04-28-2011, 01:40 AM
Is that so? So LeBron put on his cape and swooped down and saved all the drug and crime infested families in the US?
What's next for LeBron? Is he going to slay the dragon and save the princess?
Maybe on off days he can bat clean up for the Marlins?
I can't wait to read his book "How I cured Cancer!"

tell me what he did wrong?
didn't wanna carry a city that can't win a championship IN ANYTHING on his back?
cleveland is just hurting because they got dumped
like some ugly emo girl :o

D1JM
04-28-2011, 01:56 AM
some of you make it seem like if lebron deserves sainthood for donating money. americans donate over $200 billion dollars a year to charities.

buch88
04-28-2011, 02:09 AM
Jim Gray said that LeBron was very hesitant to do The Decision and he only ultimately agreed when charities got involved. He's always been a very strong community figure.

I know people are reluctant to give him any credit, but some good came out of this :shrug:

excellent post. Agree 100%

NetsPaint
04-28-2011, 02:10 AM
LeBron could have donated the money himself if he wanted to make money that fast for them. Or, he could have done what Barkley said, and did something like ask the fans to donate five dollars to the club.

The hearts of the fans that supported you for seven years isn't worth breaking because of that. It's a lame excuse, unless he really did think it was good quick way to make the money for the club without putting much thought into it. It's not like he's brightest guy.

I don't know him personally, I don't know if he's really bad or anything, but he seems very immature. I think if there's anything that could help people view him different, maturing would probably be the best step. Actually, probably not, he'd have to go back to Cleveland. A lot of people don't think people change.

Raps18-19 Champ
04-28-2011, 02:12 AM

He was going to make a decision on TV either way.

It just so happens that this method would have gotten him money and he decided to give it to charity.

buch88
04-28-2011, 02:12 AM

I know YOU'RE (contraction) a laker fan and you gotta take shots at lebron, but come on man.. You think Lebron, one of the biggest stars on the planet, can find another way to make 2 MILLION dollars in an hour? Even with his big iconic figure? No..... we're talking 2 million dollars bud. I'm no heat fan, but you're just in denial and you look to downgrade lebron in any way possible. You are the ultimate definition of a pathetic laker fan that lets his pride control his idiotic posts. If this was wade, or even paul pierce, you wouldn't be taking this to another level of stupidity.

hyb152
04-28-2011, 02:16 AM
I know YOU'RE (contraction) a laker fan and you gotta take shots at lebron, but come on man.. You think Lebron, one of the biggest stars on the planet, can find another way to make 2 MILLION dollars in an hour? Even with his big iconic figure? No..... we're talking 2 million dollars bud. I'm no heat fan, but you're just in denial and you look to downgrade lebron in any way possible. You are the ultimate definition of a pathetic laker fan that lets his pride control his idiotic posts. If this was wade, or even paul pierce, you wouldn't be taking this to another level of stupidity.

hahahahaha buch destroyed nickdymez lol. what's making this even funnier is all of this is true. dymez, your bias is so blatant it's comical.

5ass
04-28-2011, 02:26 AM
PeoPle will never realize that it really wasn't that big of a deal, the media made it seem much worse than it seems for money.

John Walls Era
04-28-2011, 02:42 AM
Cavs don't care about being humiliated... why else would their owner write that letter to further make a fool of himself?

Good job by Lebron, if pissing people off will help the children, then continue what you're doing.

yangx620
04-28-2011, 02:53 AM
he sucks period...skip bayless says it best...robin needs batman

yangx620
04-28-2011, 02:53 AM
now imagine if kobe does that to LA and go to chicago

jzero
04-28-2011, 07:27 AM
now imagine if kobe does that to LA and go to chicago

he wouldn't need to do because LA is a great city
can't say the same for cleveland tho :rolleyes:
sorry but that place sucks

Heater4life
04-28-2011, 07:58 AM
Let's be real.. The comments being made have nothing to do with his charitable contribution, give credit where credits due.. His contribution in no way shape or form changes the fact that he bailed on his city and his fans in a pretty despicable way.. Kudos for the charity work.. Doesn't change the fact he left an entire city in the lurch and behaved like a douche..

Has nothing to do with what team he's on.. You really think the Heat were this vilified before James got there..?? You're kidding yourself if you say yes.. Dude could have told his team, his GM, and his city what his intentions were before it turned into a full blown circus.. He could have told someone, anyone the truth so that they could have gotten fair market value or something close to fair market value.. Instead his team basically got squat and are basically the black hole of the league.. And yes the Cavs ownership could have shipped him out at anytime saving themselves the embarrassment but they chose to cling to the possibility that James wasn't going to leave them with nothing.. It's called loyalty.. Something James knows nothing about.. Don't think for a second he wont do it to Miami as well should things not work out the way he expects.. Just a matter of time, a zebra never changes his stripes and don't you forget that..

In my honest opinion, I believe he would have been hated regardless. Yes, we can argue back and forth, but the fact is he was beloved in Cleveland. Regardless of television special, or any other way he would have announced it, he would have been scolded for leaving to join the Heat.

Now with that in mind, his idea of drawing charitable contributions for just stating where your going, phenomenal. May not have support, but it was great.

Heater4life
04-28-2011, 08:33 AM
Two things here:
1. The Decision compounded the issue as did the self aggrandizing manner in which he conducted his search for a team, especially as he made teams come to Cleveland to pitch him when it is very clear that he knew all along where he was going. Also, quitting on his team in the playoffs didn't help. Nonetheless, you are spot on that he would have take heat and been hated in Cleveland even if he had just announced he was leaving in a press release on the first day of free agency.

2. You should read the article instead of being condescending and wrong. The article says that he arranged for donations from Nike and HP. Those companies made those very generous donations. It does not say that he donated a million dollars. He still deserves credit for putting together the donations and helping a worthy cause, but no need to oversell.

Again, this is just an oversell. It is not a matter of people weighing the feelings. LeBron could be charitable year round and quietly and help these families and kids. The criticism is not based on a condemnation of the event in light of the charity aspect, it is a criticism of the event as a whole. I would be surprised if any critic of LeBron cares more about Cavs fans than about underprivileged children, but I think you are conflating issues in your statements here.

To be clear, the Decision provided some great benefits and this article does a good job of covering those benefits. I am glad they were raised in this thread. But it doesn't eliminate many of the less attractive aspects of LeBron's conduct last summer. And it doesn't change the fact that there are many reasons that people dislike him beyond the Decision. Similarly, it doesn't change the fact that the best basketball player on the planet arranged for a large charitable donation.

When taking a closer look at the issue, it becomes evident that it is not "the decision" itself which enrages fans, it is a culmination of choices he made prior to it that put him in a position to receive such negative reactions. In essence, the decision was only the "cherry on top" if you will.

That is why I do not see the basis for argument from most of his critics. You can argue about Cleveland's economical downturn, yet that would have been the case regardless of a tv special. You may argue he could contribute out of pocket, yet he obtained 2M in contributions in what otherwise would be just news. The Decision may have been in bad taste, but it is evident he would have been hated regardless of it.

**Great post by the way

TylerSL
04-28-2011, 08:35 AM
LOL I just love haters in this thread. Literally putting fans that get entertained above poor kids all because of some stupid hate that they have. I noticed that they wont attack the posts that say they are defending entertained fans over poor kids, but that is all this boils down to. Say whatever you want "its just a publicity stunt" well even if it was a stunt (it wasnt, but lets just say it was) he is still helping kids. In that hour he did more for kids than anybody who has posted in this forum. There is really no way to hate on this without defending everyday people who go to basketball games over poor kids................sad

mttwlsn16
04-28-2011, 08:46 AM
while i still dont like how he went about his decision, it did raise money for kids (altho he couldve just as easily donated it out of his pocket without it hurting him financially) but im well over it. the dude can ball, and while i will not root for him to get a ring, never have never will, him and the heat are a fun group to watch play

Sly Guy
04-28-2011, 09:41 AM

nope, sorry this doesn't fly. Going on TV to announce where you're going to sign as a FA is unprecedented. The most press a FA got prior to last summer was simply a press conference, as it should be. I don't have the evidence to support the claim, but I'd be willing to bet that the original idea of 'the decision' was not ESPN's, but that of LeBron & his entourage. It was a 'bigger than the game' moment that smacked of ego, and it humiliated an entire city in front of a nation. The donation to charity comes off like he was trying to hedge his bets in not coming off as a complete bad guy, and well, the hedge didn't work out so well.

The humiliation doesn't come from him leaving Cleveland, it comes from the fact he did it in such a public way. A historically public way in front to the entire nation.

This doesn't fly either. NBA salaries, especially LeBron's are quite colossal. If he was truly that concerned about the Boys & Girls clubs of America, then he could have taken that money out of his own pocket and still not felt the crunch at all. Private donations > public offerings, I respect the guy who donates to a cause and says nothing about his donation than one who does so publicly with the intent of helping their image.

I have to say, my hate for LeBron has subsided a substantial amount from the summer, but I doubt it'll ever fully go away. No matter what way you spin it, 'the decision' was still classless, and because of it, I'll likely never be a fan of his again. Personally, I actually enjoy the futility of the Heat stars trying to revive their public images, like Wade 'thanking' the Sixers for preparing them for the next round and having it sound of excessive effort. But if it were me in their positions, I'd have taken a page from KG's book and not give a schite about public opinion and just go out and play [probably the only time you'll hear me praise KG, but I respect him more than LBJ, Wade or Bosh in this respect]. But then again, maybe caring about what other people think just goes to show you that it's more than about winning, more than about basketball, that their 'brands' matter as well, and being the villian isn't as profitable as being the hero, no matter what city you're in.

*EDIT*
I totally jumped into this thread late because I expected it to be another blind hate thread, one of the other million on PSD about the same topic. Clearly, I should have more faith in the community.

Mile High Champ
04-28-2011, 09:57 AM

I do agree to an extent. I do think that Lebron did not do "the decision" out of glorifying his own ego, I do believe it was for charity reason. That being said. I do think Cleveland was humiliated beyond repair when Lebron announced the decision on TV that he was leaving. It was the worse way he could of said good bye to the fans of Cleveland.

TO to the CHI
04-28-2011, 10:17 AM
LOL I just love haters in this thread. Literally putting fans that get entertained above poor kids all because of some stupid hate that they have. I noticed that they wont attack the posts that say they are defending entertained fans over poor kids, but that is all this boils down to. Say whatever you want "its just a publicity stunt" well even if it was a stunt (it wasnt, but lets just say it was) he is still helping kids. In that hour he did more for kids than anybody who has posted in this forum. There is really no way to hate on this without defending everyday people who go to basketball games over poor kids................sad

It was a publicity stunt. If you don't see that, then you are a blinded homer. Just because there was a charitable benefit does not mean that it was not a publicity stunt. By the way, it appears to be lost in the haze of your homer viewpoint that LeBron publicized (big time) the charitable aspect thus emphasizing the publicity stunt nature of the event. Notice how Wade and Bosh did not participate? Were the charities unwilling to give money if they were involved as well? LeBron wanted the spotlight that night. That is his Decision, and I respect him for at least getting charitable contributions out of it.

As for the comment that people who criticize the Decision are placing fans above underprivileged kids. That argument simply misses the mark. A person does not need to have that valuation of the situation to find that LeBron's Decision was in bad taste. He could have privately donated money or held a charity basketball game (as numerous of his contemporaries do) and raised just as much money in one night. He chose this method and it was a slap in the face to the City of Cleveland. The fact that there was a charitable benefit does not simply undo that harm. My posts in this thread have been clear that I tip my hate to LeBron for arranging these contributions. And I do think some of the criticism comes off as ignorant hate. But your defense above takes the polar opposite position and has equally little merit.

When taking a closer look at the issue, it becomes evident that it is not "the decision" itself which enrages fans, it is a culmination of choices he made prior to it that put him in a position to receive such negative reactions. In essence, the decision was only the "cherry on top" if you will.

That is why I do not see the basis for argument from most of his critics. You can argue about Cleveland's economical downturn, yet that would have been the case regardless of a tv special. You may argue he could contribute out of pocket, yet he obtained 2M in contributions in what otherwise would be just news. The Decision may have been in bad taste, but it is evident he would have been hated regardless of it.

**Great post by the way

Thanks.

I agree with you that the "decision" was the cherry on top. I think it was self-aggrandizing and unnecessary, but the reality is that there were numerous other things that happened last summer that I thought were far more off-putting and I think the Decision was the easiest way for people to target LeBron as the biggest star in the league (perhaps tied with Kobe).

Everything you said in your second paragraph is spot on. The move was in bad taste, but it raised a ton of money for charity and he would have been hated regardless.

Also, to everybody arguing about the plight of the city of Cleveland: that argument is a red herring. With or without the Decision, he was leaving and was going to cost the city a ton of money in revenues. There may be some additional damage caused by the Decision (through reduced future tourism dollars as people who don't care about basketball decide not to travel to Cleveland because they read about how "horrible" a city it is in articles that were written after and because of Lebron leaving), but the decrease in revenue related to the basketball team was going to happen either way.

D-Block21-Chito
04-28-2011, 10:34 AM
He's a total douche but I'm really happy he stayed in the east and not in central division anymore. GREAT rivalry in the making with Chicago!

P.S. GO to hell Miami fans you bandwagon fruit baskets!

NYKalltheway
04-28-2011, 10:37 AM
who cares about the Decision anymore? It's something in the past not worth mentioning. The fact that it gathered charity money should make it go down as a good thing, perhaps great!

Mile High Champ
04-28-2011, 10:45 AM
I hated it but like everyone else I was sure to tune in for it.

mttwlsn16
04-28-2011, 10:47 AM
He's a total douche but I'm really happy he stayed in the east and not in central division anymore. GREAT rivalry in the making with Chicago!

awful lotta bulls fans nowadays too, just sayin....

LayZbone
04-28-2011, 11:19 AM

Well if its on his facebook, then he's letting people know he's doing it. It's just not on major media outlets because, well, he's Kyle Korver. Even if a superstar (Lebron) was donating a ton of money to charity without letting the media know, then in turn, you people wouldn't know, and you'd still hate him. How do you know that's not the case? lol

PhillyFaninLA
04-28-2011, 11:38 AM

To be fair this isn't the first time we've seen them....its just the first time since the 1997 - 98 season we've seen them.

So they are shouting loud and hijacking topics because they think they will make up for their absence when in reality it just causes people to despise their team and players.

Arch Stanton
04-28-2011, 11:43 AM
didn't wanna carry a city that can't win a championship IN ANYTHING on his back?

If he would've been a bit more honest with Cleveland. He would be forgiven. Sure there's always going to be angry fans. Fans still hate on Jim Thome. And I don't understand that. But LeBron did everything wrong. And for the most part Cleveland is over it and him.

Cosmic_Canon
04-28-2011, 11:52 AM
My dude Bron, the charitable one. :cool:

SoxBearsBulls!
04-28-2011, 12:00 PM

You better hope he wins a tittle in Miami the next few years or else heŽll bolt for greener pastures.

Double_R
04-28-2011, 12:35 PM
This is such a BS mirage to actually what happened.

Lebron contacted ESPN about the decision, told them that they had to use an reporter that is not an employee of ESPN to conduct the interview, produce an hour of a Lebron love fest and self promotion, then pay for all production costs, and only air commercials from Lebron's sponsors during the event and then after all that ESPN has to give the 2 million they made off of advertising (all of which was Lebron's sponsors) to give to charity and make it seem like Lebron did this all for charity. There isn't a bigger joke in sports than "the decision".

D1JM
04-28-2011, 01:28 PM
To be fair this isn't the first time we've seen them....its just the first time since the 1997 - 98 season we've seen them.

So they are shouting loud and hijacking topics because they think they will make up for their absence when in reality it just causes people to despise their team and players.

the bulls have been filling up the stands even when they sucked. so i dont know what you are talking about.

valade16
04-28-2011, 01:51 PM
who cares about the Decision anymore? It's something in the past not worth mentioning. The fact that it gathered charity money should make it go down as a good thing, perhaps great!

Your right, so long as it happened in the past it shouldn't matter :rolleyes:

If I go on TV and make fun of Jews for an hour but raise $1 million for charity does that make the jew bashing suddenly ok? Heck no!

The good charity, while commendable doesn't excuse him from being a douche. It isn't like It can only be one or the other.

2 things happened during the decision. LeBron donated money to charity and acted like a douche.

Tony_Starks
04-28-2011, 02:02 PM
Great for the kids. Sucks for Cleveland. Still a classless act of self promotion.

As far as the charity goes please don't be fooled guys he could've just as easily cut them a check its tax deductable. Dont get it twisted.

justinnum1
04-28-2011, 03:05 PM
:yawn:

Team*Chicago
04-28-2011, 03:23 PM

That is so true and I agree with it. Only the dumb morons(generally heat fans) can't see that while somebody else in another city is having a celebration about it.

The charity was a good thing but overall it was still bad of what he did to that entire city and he deservse the hatred from eveyone that got humiliate and he knew he was leaving.

WickedBadMan
04-28-2011, 03:29 PM
Blah blah blah everyone thinks Lebron is a giant tool bag now, rehashing the fact that money went to charity isn't going to change that.

If I rob a bank and give it to charity am I not still an *******?

TrippKingz
04-28-2011, 03:42 PM
Happy for the kids..., that's all that matters.

Steelers23_06
04-28-2011, 03:49 PM
This is such a BS mirage to actually what happened.

Lebron contacted ESPN about the decision, told them that they had to use an reporter that is not an employee of ESPN to conduct the interview, produce an hour of a Lebron love fest and self promotion, then pay for all production costs, and only air commercials from Lebron's sponsors during the event and then after all that ESPN has to give the 2 million they made off of advertising (all of which was Lebron's sponsors) to give to charity and make it seem like Lebron did this all for charity. There isn't a bigger joke in sports than "the decision".

lemme guess you know this because you work at espn? that whole statement was just twisted and false. he was redoing his official site and was going to do it there to get his site more publicity and he could make bank off advertisement during the broadcast. all of that would have been in his pocket. and then espn offered him to do the decision with a reporter of his liking and proceeds going to charity. There isn't a bigger joke in PSD threads than "Double R".

Steelers23_06
04-28-2011, 03:50 PM
Blah blah blah everyone thinks Lebron is a giant tool bag now, rehashing the fact that money went to charity isn't going to change that.

If I rob a bank and give it to charity am I not still an *******?

Your right, so long as it happened in the past it shouldn't matter :rolleyes:

If I go on TV and make fun of Jews for an hour but raise $1 million for charity does that make the jew bashing suddenly ok? Heck no!

The good charity, while commendable doesn't excuse him from being a douche. It isn't like It can only be one or the other.

2 things happened during the decision. LeBron donated money to charity and acted like a douche.

lol now lebron changing teams is comparable to robbing a bank and bashing jews....:facepalm:

jockrider
04-28-2011, 04:00 PM

:clap:

valade16
04-28-2011, 04:10 PM
lol now lebron changing teams is comparable to robbing a bank and bashing jews....:facepalm:

Being a douche to an entire city is the same as being a douche to an entire race. :facepalm:

Being a douche is being a douche, external circumstances like donating to charity or robbing a bank or bashing jews won't change the fact you are being a douche.

Heater4life
04-28-2011, 04:15 PM

Insult of the year!

:laugh2:

Ill21
04-28-2011, 04:22 PM

went to the bank and take out 2 mil. that is nothing to him. that is like one of us going to the atm and taking out 20 bucks.

jockrider
04-28-2011, 04:29 PM
the bulls have been filling up the stands even when they sucked. so i dont know what you are talking about.

he's trying to say bulls fans have a lot to say now that they finally have a good team.

Sox72
04-28-2011, 04:33 PM
I can't believe we're still talking about this.

naps
04-28-2011, 04:45 PM

James did absolutely nothing wrong with his decision as he left as a free agent. Why would he let them know ahead of time? To get shipped somewhere he didn't want to? To get shipped to a team that sent everything to cleveland to acquire him and eventually be in even a worse condition? WTF are you talking about here? Loyalty doesn't win championships and he was absolutely loyal for 7 years. And what you just said has NOTHING to do with what I said. LeBron James raised 2 millions for under-privileged kids. He has made a BIG difference in many poor kids life in just one hour. I would steal money from an entire state 100 times out of 100 times if that would make a difference in those kids' life.

Let's not hate him because he didn't come to our team.

Dtown3
04-28-2011, 04:46 PM

Why does he have to raise it in an hour he makes more than 40 million annually, he couldnt spend that much if he tried. Im not saying that giving that money was a bad thing, it was definitely admirable but didnt need to hold the decision and ruin his reputation to get that money.

Jaji
04-28-2011, 04:53 PM

This is the part I don't get. Did he humiliate NY too? There's 30 teams in the NBA. He was a free agent. He switched teams. Who gives a :censored:?

Cleveland was kidding themselves if they thought LeBron was staying. If he was staying, there would not have been a "Decision." His last contract he included a player option. He never committed to Cleveland. It was pretty obvious he was leaving. Once a guy becomes a FA you think he's going back to CLEVELAND??? :laugh:

naps
04-28-2011, 05:00 PM
To the people who are saying he could have donated from his pocket...

1. LeBron does donate from his pocket.

2. Why would I take the chance to make 2 ****ing millions for poor kids in just one hour even if I am a multi-millionaire? Let's be hones here, would you not do the same?

3. Why do you not think about the kids? Who would have made that difference in their life if it was not LeBron? Instead why the F.CUK do you care for a billionaire moron (Gilbert) who lost little to nothing from his billions?

Stop acting like dumped girlfriends and let's me mature to understand and accept the reality.

valade16
04-28-2011, 05:03 PM
This is the part I don't get. Did he humiliate NY too? There's 30 teams in the NBA. He was a free agent. He switched teams. Who gives a :censored:?

Cleveland was kidding themselves if they thought LeBron was staying. If he was staying, there would not have been a "Decision." His last contract he included a player option. He never committed to Cleveland. It was pretty obvious he was leaving. Once a guy becomes a FA you think he's going back to CLEVELAND??? :laugh:

No, because he wasn't considered NY's hometown hero who single handedly revived and entire franchise and fanbase from a struggling city...

If he was a FA and just switched teams very few people would give, but he went on TV and made it a spectacle.

My question to you is: if LeBron really didn't care how come he is literally the only player in NBA history to change teams like this?

naps
04-28-2011, 05:34 PM
if LeBron really didn't care how come he is literally the only player in NBA history to change teams like this?

Something hasn't happened before doesn't mean it won't or shouldn't happen. How come Jesus didn't know the newton's laws before newton himself did? Get it now? OR How come there hasn't been a bigger unrestricted free agent in NBA history than LeBron James?

Jaji
04-28-2011, 05:41 PM
No, because he wasn't considered NY's hometown hero who single handedly revived and entire franchise and fanbase from a struggling city...

If he was a FA and just switched teams very few people would give, but he went on TV and made it a spectacle.

My question to you is: if LeBron really didn't care how come he is literally the only player in NBA history to change teams like this?

Hometown hero? He's from AKRON not Cleveland. As a person who damn near grew up in Akron, trust me... its not Cleveland. Most people from Akron don't like Cleveland (at least people like me and LeBron, young black males). LeBron even said it... he didn't like Cleveland growing up. Hometown hero? That's a load of crap.

LeBron was the biggest FA in league history. If Carlos Boozer did it, no one would have even noticed or cared. But LeBron? Apparently it was a big deal because we're still talking about it.

What crime did he commit? Other than not signing with "your" team. GTFOH!

valade16
04-28-2011, 05:44 PM
Something hasn't happened before doesn't mean it won't or shouldn't happen. How come Jesus didn't know the newton's laws before newton himself did? Get it now? OR How come there hasn't been a bigger unrestricted free agent in NBA history than LeBron James?

Shaq was a pretty big FA and he didn't even pull this crap...

I agree, just because something hasn't happened before doesn't mean it shouldn't or won't.

but whether it does happen doesn't make it not stupid, stupid things happen all the time.

A good example being LeBron's "Decision" on ESPN.

Jaji
04-28-2011, 05:45 PM

Exactly. Most anticipated announcement in NBA history. We all wanted to know. It was BIG news. Better this way than a ticker across the bottom of the screen or a "We interrupt this program to announce..." because that was going to happen if not for "the decision." I liked how I knew what time to expect the news. Rather than being out and get a bunch of random texts and phone calls.

Jaji
04-28-2011, 05:48 PM
Shaq was a pretty big FA and he didn't even pull this crap...

I agree, just because something hasn't happened before doesn't mean it shouldn't or won't.

but whether it does happen doesn't make it not stupid, stupid things happen all the time.

A good example being LeBron's "Decision" on ESPN.

Oh... it was "stupid." How old are you 5?

Besides, there was no mystery with Shaq. It was a question of rather or not Orlando was going to match LAL's offer. They didn't. No need for a special for that.... Orlando GM: "We will NOT match LAL's offer." That would be the whole special.

valade16
04-28-2011, 05:52 PM
Hometown hero? He's from AKRON not Cleveland. As a person who damn near grew up in Akron, trust me... its not Cleveland. Most people from Akron don't like Cleveland (at least people like me and LeBron, young black males). LeBron even said it... he didn't like Cleveland growing up. Hometown hero? That's a load of crap.

LeBron was the biggest FA in league history. If Carlos Boozer did it, no one would have even noticed or cared. But LeBron? Apparently it was a big deal because we're still talking about it.

He was pretty big but I'd argue Shaq was as big as LeBron. He just wasn't a coy douche about where he wanted to go stringing everyone along, he only did that to the Magic and Lakers...

And I never said he committed a crime, nor will I. What I DID say is it was a douche move. and I will continue to say it because it was.

I'm a Blazers fan, my team never had a chance at Bron, and I think he's hands down the best player in the league. But I call it like I see it, and what he did was a dick, douche move.

That is all I'm saying. Say what you want about the Decision, just don't say it wasn't a douche move because it was...

KnicksR4Real
04-28-2011, 05:58 PM
First of all, why is this even a thread. It happened oh so long ago. Second, your going to tell me that he did something positive in that drama? (No disrespect to the Boys and Girls Club)

Heater4life
04-28-2011, 06:03 PM

Dont mean to be off topic, but Carlos Boozer did something WORSE, he told the Cavs he was going to re-sign, they let him become a restricted free agent, and then he LEFT THEM CUT AND DRY!!!!

but its not as bad as the decision........

valade16
04-28-2011, 06:04 PM
Oh... it was "stupid." How old are you 5?

Besides, there was no mystery with Shaq. It was a question of rather or not Orlando was going to match LAL's offer. They didn't. No need for a special for that.... Orlando GM: "We will NOT match LAL's offer." That would be the whole special.

What, is stupid a word that can only be used by 5 year olds now?

LeBron was stupid for the decision. I absolutely stand by that. That is a valid word that accurately describes his mental thought process in making such a douchy show.

valade16
04-28-2011, 06:08 PM
Dont mean to be off topic, but Carlos Boozer did something WORSE, he told the Cavs he was going to re-sign, they let him become a restricted free agent, and then he LEFT THEM CUT AND DRY!!!!

but its not as bad as the decision........

Yeah, he's a douche too. One person being a douche doesn't excuse another.

Look, LeBron's a douche. Just get over it.

Actually, he didn't really do the Decision. He never did that. He actually didn't even know what the word Decision meant until people started asking him about it...

:rolleyes:

Dude's a douche.

TylerSL
04-28-2011, 08:33 PM
It was a publicity stunt. If you don't see that, then you are a blinded homer. Just because there was a charitable benefit does not mean that it was not a publicity stunt. By the way, it appears to be lost in the haze of your homer viewpoint that LeBron publicized (big time) the charitable aspect thus emphasizing the publicity stunt nature of the event. Notice how Wade and Bosh did not participate? Were the charities unwilling to give money if they were involved as well? LeBron wanted the spotlight that night. That is his Decision, and I respect him for at least getting charitable contributions out of it.

As for the comment that people who criticize the Decision are placing fans above underprivileged kids. That argument simply misses the mark. A person does not need to have that valuation of the situation to find that LeBron's Decision was in bad taste. He could have privately donated money or held a charity basketball game (as numerous of his contemporaries do) and raised just as much money in one night. He chose this method and it was a slap in the face to the City of Cleveland. The fact that there was a charitable benefit does not simply undo that harm. My posts in this thread have been clear that I tip my hate to LeBron for arranging these contributions. And I do think some of the criticism comes off as ignorant hate. But your defense above takes the polar opposite position and has equally little merit.

1. If you just think he did this for attention then you are just a blind hater

2. I already said even if it was a publicity stunt he still did more for charity than anybody else in this thread so there is no reason to complain.

3. Wade and Bosh did not attent because Lebron did not tell them, they saw it on TV.......

4. Lebron made the show because the media hyped him as the greatest FA EVER and he had bad people telling him what to do......

5. Who said he doesnt :shrug: He might be doing that but its private, so we dont know any better.... It also doesnt really matter if its public or private as long as money is being raised.

6. This is where you are picking everyday people that go to basketball games over underprivagled kids. You hold it against him for leaving Cleveland and hate him for it even though it was helping underprivaleged kids. You just said him helping kids doesnt correct him hurting basketball fans.....

7. Are you calling me the bad guy when you are the one picking everyday people that go to basketball games over underprivaleged kids :facepalm:

Look, this is the game of Basketball. Seriously, if you hate somebody over a basketball team more than you care for underprivaleged kids (which is what you seem to be doing) it is really pathetic.....

effen5
04-28-2011, 09:12 PM

Couldnt be more wrong....we filled the stands (before the game started) when our roster had Jalen Rose, Marcus Fizer, Eddy Curry, Tyson Chandler, Eddie Robinson, Jamal Crawford, Fred Hoiberg...should I go on?

Mrphilly
04-28-2011, 09:16 PM
**** Cleveland...Get over it. Im happy for those kids, this is a great story. If it was not for Lebron, why would anybody be talking about Cleveland ever??? Lebron Sacrificed his reputation to raise money for those kids. If these cry baby adults are not thankful, those kids will be, and thats all that counts.

Raps18-19 Champ
04-28-2011, 09:24 PM
Why does he have to raise it in an hour he makes more than 40 million annually, he couldnt spend that much if he tried. Im not saying that giving that money was a bad thing, it was definitely admirable but didnt need to hold the decision and ruin his reputation to get that money.

Why would anyone spend their own money when they can make the same amount doing something easier?

I'm sure everyone here would take the opportunity to make easy money rather than spend the money they worked for.

D-Block21-Chito
04-28-2011, 09:29 PM

2. I already said even if it was a publicity stunt he still did more for charity than anybody else in this thread so there is no reason to complain.

3. Wade and Bosh did not attent because Lebron did not tell them, they saw it on TV.......

4. Lebron made the show because the media hyped him as the greatest FA EVER and he had bad people telling him what to do......

5. Who said he doesnt :shrug: He might be doing that but its private, so we dont know any better.... It also doesnt really matter if its public or private as long as money is being raised.

6. This is where you are picking everyday people that go to basketball games over underprivagled kids. You hold it against him for leaving Cleveland and hate him for it even though it was helping underprivaleged kids. You just said him helping kids doesnt correct him hurting basketball fans.....

7. Are you calling me the bad guy when you are the one picking everyday people that go to basketball games over underprivaleged kids :facepalm:

Look, this is the game of Basketball. Seriously, if you hate somebody over a basketball team more than you care for underprivaleged kids (which is what you seem to be doing) it is really pathetic.....

Such an articulate statement from a umpa lumpa colorful fruitbasket!

Astronaut
04-28-2011, 09:41 PM
Cleveland has been the whipping boy of sports for the past what? 50 years? It's not like they have never had good sports teams, 80's was the Browns, 90's was the Indians, 2000's was the Cavs, but they happen to lose in the most dramatic fashion.. Imagine the Boston Red Sox pre-2004 in every single sport..

LeBron was supposed to be one of us, he was from here. Obviously, everyone hates on Cleveland(it's actually not that trashy of a city, just the entrance is really bad.. Very good food) But then he goes and rips us a new ******* on national television.. That's why he is hated, because he went and embarrassed not just our fanhood, but where we live.

My guess is that "The Decision" was not designed by LeBron, but he was approached by ESPN to do it and his inexperienced firm agreed to it..(LRMR is composed of him and his friends from St. Vincent St. Mary's High School, some of which still live at home with no college education.)

But Life goes on, everyone assumes the Cavaliers just died post-LBJ, but seats are still filled, Cleveland truly has great fans, you can insult our teams but you honestly can't insult the fans because they've been rooting for mediocrity for the past half a century, Browns and Cavaliers still sell out, you can't say the same for the Tribe(do some research why).. If you promise to win, we will come.. It's time for a change. The bandwagon fans have come and go, but the fans that stick around and experience(d) the heartbreak throughout the years, well that will just make a championship that more sweet.

Jaji
04-28-2011, 10:05 PM
Notice how Wade and Bosh did not participate?

No need to read the rest of your thesis after this. Wade and Bosh weren't his teammates yet. He was just making the announcement. :facepalm:

TO to the CHI
04-28-2011, 10:20 PM

It appears that you are irrational and incapable of logical discussion on this topic, but I will try anyways. Perhaps if you read my other posts in this thread, you would see that I commended LeBron for arranging the charitable donation and often call him the best player in the game. That doesn't alter some of the negatives about him.

1. Read more carefully. I never once said this was all about the attention. However, it was a publicity stunt. He certainly had some altruistic motives (no doubt about it), but it seems naive, and frankly preposterous, to suggest that he wasn't concerned with attention. No one would dispute other motives but to dispute that he was seeking attention is absurd.

2. I don't know what you mean here. If you mean that no one in this thread can complain because no one has donated or arranged for donations of $2 million, then that is just stupid. As an aside, I would feel comfortable saying that many people in this thread and on these forums donate a higher percentage of their income to charity then LeBron. In fact, I think it quite possible that I am one of those people.

3. If you think that Wade and Bosh didn't know where LeBron was going, I don't know what to tell you. That would make you intensely naive and frankly confirms once and for all that you are a complete homer. The reality is that they knew and LeBron wanted the spotlight.

4. Shaq was a better free agent than LeBron. And a more dominant player at the time that he was a free agent. There might have been more hype with LeBron because of the current times and types of media that are available, but LeBron is not the biggest free agent ever. Nor the best. As an aside, both Michael Jordan and Kobe have been unrestricted free agents. So no LeBron is not the best free agent ever. Not close really.

5. We agree on this. As long as charity is being done, it doesn't matter whether public or private. And, for the record, I do believe that LeBron gives money to charity. I also find it curious that there is no record of him having added any funds to the amounts contributed, but that is a whole separate issue.

6. This argument is stupid and illusory. It is nothing more than a weak ploy by you and others in this thread to attempt to play on emotions by ignoring and skewing reality to make an absurd argument. The only way it would hold true is if the events of LeBron arranging a donation for charity and not offending people in Cleveland were mutually exclusive items. They simply are not. Therefore, your argument is meritless. Obviously I, and I would assume everyone else that is rational, value charity over the feelings of basketball fans. But only a person with deficiencies in their cognitive reasoning skills would feel that saying that LeBron could have arranged for a charitable donation without offending anyone equals a statement that charity is less important. The argument doesn't work. Keep repeating and trying to work emotions, but it doesn't give the argument any more merit. He could have had a charitable basketball game in Miami and probably made more than $2 million. Just as an example. Moreover, as stated in this thread and here, being offensive can be combined with donating to charity. It is possible.

7. I never called you a bad guy. Nor am I choosing basketball fans over charity. Again, you conflate the issues because there is no merit to your points. Get off LeBron's jock and stop being a worthless homer. Everything I have said in this thread is supportive of LeBron's conduct, except that I don't try to fellate him while doing it. I commended his skills as a player and his getting the money donated to charity. I also stated that I don't think the Decision is the reason he is hated (but one of many things that are held against him). It appears you simply can't argue with reason, nor can you handle any comment that is not flowery and glowing about a basketball player who you have never met and know nothing about personally.

One more thing, I don't hate LeBron and I respect him as a player. I do question his intelligence and his motives for his decisions, but I don't hate him. I also think that his scheming with others (i.e. colluding), seeming to quit on your team in the playoffs, and conducting a sham process where you make teams come to pitch you despite apparently knowing all along where you are going is pretty weak. But none of those opinions have anything to do with charity so I look forward to seeing how you try to skew them.

I value charity for underprivileged children well above offending the fans of Cleveland (or anywhere else), but I will repeat here (again cause you probably still didn't understand it the first eight times) that those things are not mutually exclusive and your argument is nothing more than a thinly veiled red herring.

TO to the CHI
04-28-2011, 10:22 PM
No need to read the rest of your thesis after this. Wade and Bosh weren't his teammates yet. He was just making the announcement. :facepalm:

Thanks for identifying yourself as a blinded homer. It has been pretty well accepted that the Big 3 schemed together well before the Decision was made. If you buy that LeBron decided right before going on the air, I don't know what to tell you, but it says a lot about your bias on the subject.

As an aside, the facepalm was the most intelligent thing you have posted in this thread.

TylerSL
04-28-2011, 10:30 PM
Such an articulate statement from a umpa lumpa colorful fruitbasket!

?

Astronaut
04-28-2011, 10:32 PM
Thanks for identifying yourself as a blinded homer. It has been pretty well accepted that the Big 3 schemed together well before the Decision was made. If you buy that LeBron decided right before going on the air, I don't know what to tell you, but it says a lot about your bias on the subject.

As an aside, the facepalm was the most intelligent thing you have posted in this thread.

Take this with a grain of salt, however, I formerly attended the grade school that LeBron's son does now.. According to some of my friends still attending(I was told Pre-Decision) that the kid was telling everyone that he was sad he was going to have to move to Miami.

Jaji
04-28-2011, 10:32 PM

Oh I see. So LeBron, D Wade and Chris Bosh should have all gone on TV to announce where LeBron was going. Yeah, that makes a ton of sense. Maybe he should have worn his new jersey too. That would have added to the suspense :rolleyes:.

TylerSL
04-29-2011, 08:36 AM
It appears that you are irrational and incapable of logical discussion on this topic, but I will try anyways. Perhaps if you read my other posts in this thread, you would see that I commended LeBron for arranging the charitable donation and often call him the best player in the game. That doesn't alter some of the negatives about him.

1. Read more carefully. I never once said this was all about the attention. However, it was a publicity stunt. He certainly had some altruistic motives (no doubt about it), but it seems naive, and frankly preposterous, to suggest that he wasn't concerned with attention. No one would dispute other motives but to dispute that he was seeking attention is absurd.

2. I don't know what you mean here. If you mean that no one in this thread can complain because no one has donated or arranged for donations of $2 million, then that is just stupid. As an aside, I would feel comfortable saying that many people in this thread and on these forums donate a higher percentage of their income to charity then LeBron. In fact, I think it quite possible that I am one of those people.

3. If you think that Wade and Bosh didn't know where LeBron was going, I don't know what to tell you. That would make you intensely naive and frankly confirms once and for all that you are a complete homer. The reality is that they knew and LeBron wanted the spotlight.

4. Shaq was a better free agent than LeBron. And a more dominant player at the time that he was a free agent. There might have been more hype with LeBron because of the current times and types of media that are available, but LeBron is not the biggest free agent ever. Nor the best. As an aside, both Michael Jordan and Kobe have been unrestricted free agents. So no LeBron is not the best free agent ever. Not close really.

5. We agree on this. As long as charity is being done, it doesn't matter whether public or private. And, for the record, I do believe that LeBron gives money to charity. I also find it curious that there is no record of him having added any funds to the amounts contributed, but that is a whole separate issue.

6. This argument is stupid and illusory. It is nothing more than a weak ploy by you and others in this thread to attempt to play on emotions by ignoring and skewing reality to make an absurd argument. The only way it would hold true is if the events of LeBron arranging a donation for charity and not offending people in Cleveland were mutually exclusive items. They simply are not. Therefore, your argument is meritless. Obviously I, and I would assume everyone else that is rational, value charity over the feelings of basketball fans. But only a person with deficiencies in their cognitive reasoning skills would feel that saying that LeBron could have arranged for a charitable donation without offending anyone equals a statement that charity is less important. The argument doesn't work. Keep repeating and trying to work emotions, but it doesn't give the argument any more merit. He could have had a charitable basketball game in Miami and probably made more than $2 million. Just as an example. Moreover, as stated in this thread and here, being offensive can be combined with donating to charity. It is possible.

7. I never called you a bad guy. Nor am I choosing basketball fans over charity. Again, you conflate the issues because there is no merit to your points. Get off LeBron's jock and stop being a worthless homer. Everything I have said in this thread is supportive of LeBron's conduct, except that I don't try to fellate him while doing it. I commended his skills as a player and his getting the money donated to charity. I also stated that I don't think the Decision is the reason he is hated (but one of many things that are held against him). It appears you simply can't argue with reason, nor can you handle any comment that is not flowery and glowing about a basketball player who you have never met and know nothing about personally.

One more thing, I don't hate LeBron and I respect him as a player. I do question his intelligence and his motives for his decisions, but I don't hate him. I also think that his scheming with others (i.e. colluding), seeming to quit on your team in the playoffs, and conducting a sham process where you make teams come to pitch you despite apparently knowing all along where you are going is pretty weak. But none of those opinions have anything to do with charity so I look forward to seeing how you try to skew them.

I value charity for underprivileged children well above offending the fans of Cleveland (or anywhere else), but I will repeat here (again cause you probably still didn't understand it the first eight times) that those things are not mutually exclusive and your argument is nothing more than a thinly veiled red herring.

first of all, I love how you think, if anybody thinks Lebron was leaving Cleveland because they would NEVER win a title while raising money for poor kids is a blind homer. You see this is why I think hate is such a useless emotion.............

I believe you are a person yes, and you would pick poor kids over basketball fans, but listen to what you said in your last post to me (not this one, the one before it, I will break down what you said it sounded bad). You said he slapped Cleveland fans in the face, helping poor kids doesnt change that. That sounds a lot like you were saying basketball fans are more important than poor kids. I am sorry if that offended you but that was worded very poorly.

I am not gonna be like a little kid and spew you with insults either, or argue about this forever......

You question Lebron's motives???? Even before Lebron signed, at that time Miami was already having the best off-season FA wise. They signed 2 of the top 4 FA (IMO Dirk was a bigger FA than Bosh). So why wouldnt Lebron want to go play with his good friends.

You say Lebron was not the greatest FA ever, and you even attacked me on it. I never said he was, I said the media hyped him as the greatest FA ever, that is a far cry from calling him the greatest.......

Lets just get this out of the way, you tell me to get off Lebron's jock, I dont even like Lebron that well, ok (as a player). I like Lebron as a person a hell of lot more than I like him as a player. I like 4 guys on Miami more than I like Lebron. I like (in order) Wade, Haslem, Miller, Bosh, and then Lebron.......

You are not a blind homer if you think Lebron made the show to help kids, which is what he did. I know you think he did it just to slap Cleveland in the face but dude, Lebron is not that bad of a person. He did not just make the show just to laugh in Clevelands face........ He left Cleveland because he knew nobody was going to go there in FA, and he knew teams like Miami, Chicago, New York, and New Jersey were all going to get alot better....... (all those teams are in the East, if he woulda stayed in Cleveland he would have been screwed, he would play the rest of his prime out, in dominance, but never win a title.)

I can tell you Wade and Bosh did not know about it, I do however think Pat Riley and Micky Arison both knew about it. When they asked Lebron if the team knew where he was going, he said they just found out. I am certain, he was talking about Pat Riley and Micky Arison. I dont believe Wade and Bosh knew about it, I think they were hoping for it. Before Lebron came to Miami, Bosh posted on his twitter (or facebook?) a picture of a chair and he said, still room for one more (obviously wanting Lebron to come play im Miami). I do not think think this was planned since 2008, or some conspiracy, I think it was talked about since 2008. I think they said, hey what if we were to accually team up. I think they flirted with the idea, but I doubt Lebron thought it was possible, because he has said multiple times that he never thought it was (he didnt just say that to hide a conspiracy, to think that would be crazy). Like I said, the flirted with the idea, but I bet they were not the only ones who did this. I bet it wasnt just the 3 of them either. Its just a fun thing to think about. Think of 2 of your best friends, and say you are all talented enough to be very good at basketball, and you were at an All-Star game and you dont get to see them much because of your basketball schedule, the idea of being around them alot more, traveling with them and winning with them would be alot of fun. I am sure thats how Lebron felt.

Finally, I do agree that it was a slap in the face to Cleveland, the the Decision was a terrible way to leave a team, however Lebron did not do this to slap Cleveland in the face. He probably figured, they would be mad and sad that he left, but did not expect this all this stupid hate that he gets. I think Lebron should have seen this coming, but the way he first acted to this hate (it seemed like it bothered the **** out of him) that he didnt expect it. I am not a blind homer, nor am I up Lebron's jock. I just think helping kids out is more important than going on national TV to announce that you are leaving a basketball team.......

TO to the CHI
04-29-2011, 09:32 AM
first of all, I love how you think, if anybody thinks Lebron was leaving Cleveland because they would NEVER win a title while raising money for poor kids is a blind homer. You see this is why I think hate is such a useless emotion.............

You question Lebron's motives???? Even before Lebron signed, at that time Miami was already having the best off-season FA wise. They signed 2 of the top 4 FA (IMO Dirk was a bigger FA than Bosh). So why wouldnt Lebron want to go play with his good friends.

You are not a blind homer if you think Lebron made the show to help kids, which is what he did. I know you think he did it just to slap Cleveland in the face but dude, Lebron is not that bad of a person.

I can tell you Wade and Bosh did not know about it, I do however think Pat Riley and Micky Arison both knew about it. I do not think think this was planned since 2008, or some conspiracy, I think it was talked about since 2008.

Finally, I do agree that it was a slap in the face to Cleveland, the the Decision was a terrible way to leave a team, however Lebron did not do this to slap Cleveland in the face. .

This was a much more reasonable post than your first. I edited it down to respond and will respond in the order of the paragraphs that are left above.

1. I said you were a blinded homer for attempting to assert that LeBron didn't (also) want the publicity and if you believe that this wasn't a Decision that was made well in advance of July 8. I stand by that assertion. Thinking that he left because he wanted to win is very realistic, but it is also a very separate point. I do agree that winning was his primary reason for leaving.

2. If you view Wade as a true free agent then I agree that Miami had won the offseason without LeBron. I always thought Wade was staying, so without LeBron they would only have added Bosh (I don't use only condescendingly, it was still a top 5 addition), which I don't view as being as significant as the Knicks adding Amare or the Bulls adding Boozer and several others. With LeBron the Heat obviously won the offseason. Without him, they were merely amongst a handful of winners.

3. I don't think LeBron's sole motive was to help the kids. I think it was a part of his thinking, but only a part. This doesn't change the generosity of what he did or make it into something terrible, but assigning strictly altruistic motives to his thinking would just be naive.

4. You can't tell me that Wade and Bosh didn't know. That you would even say that is asinine. Especially in light of the numerous reports of the big 3 teaming up well before it happened. However, to be fair, I can't prove that they did know either. I just look at the evidence and think there is a very strong probability that they all knew. I suspect the truth on this one will come out eventually, but we shall see.

5. I agree 100% that LeBron did not do the Decision with the intent of slapping Cleveland in the face. But if you agree that was a corollary of the Decision, then you aren't actually disagreeing with anything I said. I never once said it was a terrible thing or wrong. I simply said it was a slap in the face and that the charity aspect doesn't change that (though it certainly gives a good reason for the slap). You now appear to agree with that sentiment.

Jaji
04-29-2011, 09:33 AM
I hope TO to the CHI gets detained at the border his next time trying to cross :D.

*please don't delete this because its not that insulting

Heater4life
04-29-2011, 09:59 AM
**** Cleveland...Get over it. Im happy for those kids, this is a great story. If it was not for Lebron, why would anybody be talking about Cleveland ever??? Lebron Sacrificed his reputation to raise money for those kids. If these cry baby adults are not thankful, those kids will be, and thats all that counts.

This.

Church Boy
04-29-2011, 10:13 AM
I like players that stick it out with there teams Like Dirk. Not just abandon them for a championship. Guess players do what they do though.

Jaji
04-29-2011, 10:22 AM
I like players that stick it out with there teams Like Dirk. Not just abandon them for a championship. Guess players do what they do though.

Yeah but Cleveland sucks. Its cold. The women are unattractive. And they couldn't attract enough talent to compete with the elite teams. Dirk's situation is completely different. He had every right to switch teams. Just like the scores of players who do it every year. Only thing is LeBron is the best player on the planet right now so its a big deal. I don't blame him. And as a LeBron fan I was probably happier than him to see him finally get out of shiddy :moon: Cleveland.

Arch Stanton
04-29-2011, 11:16 AM
1. If you just think he did this for attention then you are just a blind hater2. I already said even if it was a publicity stunt he still did more for charity than anybody else in this thread so there is no reason to complain.

Sticking feathers up your butt doesn't make you a chicken!

justinnum1
04-29-2011, 11:18 AM

Some players are more interested in winning than other things.

SteBO
04-29-2011, 11:20 AM

Where does loyalty get you in sports? :shrug:

Double_R
04-29-2011, 11:44 AM
lemme guess you know this because you work at espn? that whole statement was just twisted and false. he was redoing his official site and was going to do it there to get his site more publicity and he could make bank off advertisement during the broadcast. all of that would have been in his pocket. and then espn offered him to do the decision with a reporter of his liking and proceeds going to charity. There isn't a bigger joke in PSD threads than "Double R".

I'm so glad you came out to play, because you know less about the situation than just about everyone on PSD, but you decided to comment anyways. So let me start with the real joke:

As stated by Don Ohlmeyer(ESPN Ombudsman) in the first paragraph of his article linked below: As has been well documented, Team LeBron proposed the exclusive special to ESPN with the following conditions: (1) Veteran broadcaster Jim Gray, who has no current association with ESPN, would host the segment in which James announced his plans; (2) The network would yield the hour of advertising inventory to be sold by James' team with the proceeds directed to the Boys & Girls Club of America; (3) The network would produce the entire show and pay for all production costs.

You don't have to work at ESPN to be able to read, sport.

Some found ESPN guilty of violating a key ethical journalistic tenet -- paying for news. Others disdained the network's perceived pandering to a superstar, a trait causing them to ponder the network's biases. Still others decried a simple announcement being manufactured into the suspense of a "second coming." The monstrous hype that led up to the special was a calculated and constructed spotlight that media far beyond ESPN helped feed. To many, the aggregate was an affront to humility, loyalty, moderation … and instead became a celebration of greed, ego and excess.

If you would like to swallow your pride and read more the link is below, but until then, remember the only joke on PSD, is on you. Don't bother responding to me next time, you blew it to hard in your first response to warrant another.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=ohlmeyer_don&id=5397113

Arch Stanton
04-29-2011, 11:48 AM
Yeah but Cleveland sucks. Its cold. The women are unattractive. And they couldn't attract enough talent to compete with the elite teams. Dirk's situation is completely different. He had every right to switch teams. Just like the scores of players who do it every year. Only thing is LeBron is the best player on the planet right now so its a big deal. I don't blame him. And as a LeBron fan I was probably happier than him to see him finally get out of shiddy :moon: Cleveland.

Utter ignorance. You are a stupid stupid person. And it sounds like you're also a bandwagon fan. Get lost troll!

prodigy
04-29-2011, 11:50 AM
Yes Lebron did this for the kids hahaha!! wow. people really believe that? Why couldn't he just donate money to the kids and then tell Cleveland in a respectful manor that he was leaving??

answer- Lebron is all about himself. he wanted every eye on him. his escape goat was the kids, which not one dime of it came from lebrons pocket.

To be honest though, who gives a ****. F lebron he's old news.

prodigy
04-29-2011, 11:53 AM

Halle Berry is from Cleveland. Most people would be shocked how many celebs/singers/ Athletes are from Cleveland let alone Ohio.

Arch Stanton
04-29-2011, 11:56 AM

Another ignorant post from probably another typical bandwagon fan! If LeBron was intelligent enough to realize the backfire his decision made he wouldn't of done it and wouldn't of privided any charity.

Arch Stanton
04-29-2011, 12:27 PM
This.

Brilliance! Why don't you come up with your own opinion. Oh yeah that's right you're a Heat fan.

mikealike305
04-29-2011, 12:35 PM
Lol im actually surprised this thread lasted this long. Still whiping away the tears guys? Time to move on.... I really dont see how "lebrons a jerk!!!"... " no hes not he did the right thing!!!"..... "no i hate him!!".... "well i hate u!!!"...... Can last 9 pages

Arch Stanton
04-29-2011, 12:46 PM
Lol im actually surprised this thread lasted this long. Still whiping away the tears guys? Time to move on.... I really dont see how "lebrons a jerk!!!"... " no hes not he did the right thing!!!"..... "no i hate him!!".... "well i hate u!!!"...... Can last 9 pages

We love to whip tears away.

SteBO
04-29-2011, 12:49 PM
I don't see much maturity going on in here......