PDA

View Full Version : "See you in the second round....."

TO to the CHI
04-27-2011, 11:08 AM
This may be a little untimely, but as the playoffs progress, I keep thinking about Derrick Rose's on court interview after the April 12, 2011 game against the Magic. During the interview, Jameer Nelson approached Rose, gave him a huge, and audibly said "see you in the second round." At the time I thought it was clearly bulletin board material for the Atlanta Hawks, but I also really thought that both the Bulls and Magic were pretty safe bets to make it through. Now that it appears that the Hawks have a very legitimate shot of surviving, I wanted to ask, what do people think about making that kind of comment with TV cameras around?

It seems to me that being confident and talking about how your team is the one to beat is very different than making a comment that blatantly disregards a team that you are about to play. Perhaps I am only thinking about it because of how close that series is, but I think it is pretty interesting in hindsight.

As an aside, Rose did not respond to the comment and turned back to the interviewer.

As a further aside, this is not a Magic hate thread. I would actually like the Magic to win the series, because I think that Bulls vs. Magic would be a more entertaining series.

mikealike305
04-27-2011, 11:12 AM
i have no problem with a comment like that, he just should of backed it up.

ManRam
04-27-2011, 11:13 AM
:worthy: Rose

What Jameer said was harmless. It's good competition, a friendly rivalry. Sure, we might not make it to Round 2, but who cares :shrug: It wasn't trash talking. If you don't think you can win, you won't ever win. You gotta have that mentality to make it to the NBA.

rapjuicer06
04-27-2011, 11:16 AM
talk about a knock on Indiana too. i bet they felt disrespected as well. just assumed chicago would blow past them easily...

mikealike305
04-27-2011, 11:19 AM
^ im pretty sure everyone thought chi would blow by the pacers easy

TO to the CHI
04-27-2011, 11:23 AM

What Jameer said was harmless. It's good competition, a friendly rivalry. Sure, we might not make it to Round 2, but who cares :shrug: It wasn't trash talking. If you don't think you can win, you won't ever win. You gotta have that mentality to make it to the NBA.

I don't really get the bowing to Rose. I was not trying to suggest that he was a better person because he didn't respond. Just thought it was a relevant part of the story.

I agree with you that you need a mentality in which you always believe that you can and will win. Of course that completely misses the point and the question, which was, whether it was a good idea to make that statement, in that manner, with TV cameras around?

rapjuicer06
04-27-2011, 11:23 AM
^ im pretty sure everyone thought chi would blow by the pacers easy

a lot of people probably thought orlando would blow by the hawks too. its just something players say to each other. i really don't see anything wrong with it

ManRam
04-27-2011, 11:27 AM
I don't really get the bowing to Rose. I was not trying to suggest that he was a better person because he didn't respond. Just thought it was a relevant part of the story.

I agree with you that you need a mentality in which you always believe that you can and will win. Of course that completely misses the point and the question, which was, whether it was a good idea to make that statement, in that manner, with TV cameras around?

It was a spur of the moment thing, not a well-thought-out premeditated response. I don't think it matters if it was a good thing to say or not. It's not like those 6 words really impact anything :shrug: He'll look foolish if we lose this series, but not as foolish as he'll and the team will look BECAUSE they lost the series. But him saying that really is insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

I'm sure these things get said regularly.

giventofly
04-27-2011, 11:30 AM
I'm okay with it.

The comment could be interpreted both ways, confidence or cockiness, but I don't think Jameer meant it in a way to blow off the Hawks.

TO to the CHI
04-27-2011, 11:34 AM
It was a spur of the moment thing, not a well-thought-out premeditated response. I don't think it matters if it was a good thing to say or not. It's not like those 6 words really impact anything :shrug: He'll look foolish if we lose this series, but not as foolish as he'll and the team will look BECAUSE they lost the series. But him saying that really is insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

I'm sure these things get said regularly.

I tend to agree with the first paragraph in your response.

Your last line misses the point though. I agree that these things are said regularly (in private). The question is whether it made sense to say it while interrupting an interview, three feet from a camera and microphone and in front of a national TV audience. I think your first paragraph still responds to this point, but the question is not nearly as simple as you are making it out to be.

ChitownSports16
04-27-2011, 11:37 AM
a lot of people probably thought orlando would blow by the hawks too. its just something players say to each other. i really don't see anything wrong with it

I didnt :shrug:

giventofly
04-27-2011, 11:37 AM
The real question is...

...who the hell cares?

Mile High Champ
04-27-2011, 11:39 AM
This more so Bulls forum worthy than NBA forum material.

giventofly
04-27-2011, 11:40 AM
This more so Bulls forum worthy than NBA forum material.
It doesn't really have anything to do with the Bulls...

Pierzynski4Prez
04-27-2011, 11:43 AM
The real question is...

...who the hell cares?

This.

I have no problem of anyone on the Magic expecting to make it to the 2nd round. They've been pass the 1st round the last 3 years, so I would expect everybody on their team to expect nothing less than making the 2nd round.

ManRam
04-27-2011, 11:44 AM
I tend to agree with the first paragraph in your response.

Your last line misses the point though. I agree that these things are said regularly (in private). The question is whether it made sense to say it while interrupting an interview, three feet from a camera and microphone and in front of a national TV audience. I think your first paragraph still responds to this point, but the question is not nearly as simple as you are making it out to be.

I just don't think he was consciously thinking "Wow, Rose is in front of a camera, I'm going to go say this in front of the whole world because it will be cool". Jameer isn't like that. I think, again, it was a spur of the moment thing. He just reacted...it wasn't premeditated.

I'm missing the point I guess because I just don't think it's a big deal regardless of how you spin it :shrug: Would he do it again if he had the chance? IDK, and I don't think he cares. Again, it's just an insignificant statement, whether it was broadcasted on national TV or not. The only way it's a problem is if you think it game ATL some crazy motivation to win this series...which I'm certain it didn't.

I just don't think it's a big deal :shrug: I think it's very harmless.

sep11ie
04-27-2011, 11:46 AM
Damn those players for talking about competition! Would you rather have Nelson ask Rose to join the Magic when his contract is up?

mikealike305
04-27-2011, 11:47 AM
The real question is...

...who the hell cares?

the guy that made the thread......

Mile High Champ
04-27-2011, 11:48 AM
It doesn't really have anything to do with the Bulls...

Sure it is, It has everything to do with the Bulls and their potential series with the Magic in the next round. I just do not see this as NBA forum material.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
04-27-2011, 11:48 AM
talk about a knock on Indiana too. i bet they felt disrespected as well. just assumed chicago would blow past them easily...

Why should we respect the Indiana Pacers? :confused:

Sadds The Gr8
04-27-2011, 11:55 AM
he's gonna look dumb as hell when Orlando loses

TO to the CHI
04-27-2011, 12:06 PM
Sure it is, It has everything to do with the Bulls and their potential series with the Magic in the next round. I just do not see this as NBA forum material.

I'm a Raptors fan, not a Bulls fan.

And I thought it was interesting to make this type of comment in front of the cameras when it so easily could have been said later. If others disagree with my view, that is fair enough, but that was why I started the thread to get those viewpoints.

bulldog312
04-27-2011, 12:07 PM
I don't really believe in "bulletin board material" when it comes to the playoffs. Teams shouldn't need any extra motivation. If winning an NBA title isn't enough motivation then I doubt a little comment like that is either.

SteBO
04-27-2011, 12:09 PM
I'm a Raptors fan, not a Bulls fan.

And I thought it was interesting to make this type of comment in front of the cameras when it so easily could have been said later. If others disagree with my view, that is fair enough, but that was why I started the thread to get those viewpoints.
I'm on board with you here, in a sense. There isn't anything wrong with what Jameer said in general, but what some posters are missing here is that he said it in front of cameras, not in a closed space between the two players. I don't see it happening often in sports in general, for it's normally said after the postgame on-court interviews.

TopsyTurvy
04-27-2011, 12:11 PM
There's easily a 1200 word column lurking around this subject but the reality is these sorts of comments are common to competition in general - it doesn't even have to be sport.

Confidence is never a bad thing to have and it is quite ironic when professional competitors are punished publicly for having too much/too little of it.

D1JM
04-27-2011, 12:15 PM

His mocking you with the bowing down to rose. It's funny too cuz he's one of the mods that says there is a lack of maturity in the NBA forum. What's funnier is that you aren't a bulls fan

TO to the CHI
04-27-2011, 12:25 PM
His mocking you with the bowing down to rose. It's funny too cuz he's one of the mods that says there is a lack of maturity in the NBA forum. What's funnier is that you aren't a bulls fan

Ha, I got what he was trying to do. I just didn't understand the point of it.

I have been pretty open that I think Rose is outstanding, but just don't see how this has anything to do with the thread.

Stebo's comments above hit the nail on the head as to what I was getting at.

Baller1
04-27-2011, 12:39 PM
To me, it was a completely harmless statement. It was a confidence thing, more so than an arrogance thing. Not a big deal really.

Geargo Wallace
04-27-2011, 12:47 PM
I have no problem with what he said. If he said "see you in the first round" I'd be like wtf?

Avenged
04-27-2011, 12:49 PM
Well, it came back to bite Nelson in the..

I'm still rooting for the Magic to advance but you can't tell me he didn't mean what he said.

SteBO
04-27-2011, 12:52 PM
Listen at the end of day, Jameer said what he felt and there's nothing wrong with that. Personally, I think the Magic are still going to win this series in 7 games, but that's another discussion. It is odd that he said it front of cameras, but it isn't a huge deal. Still, he's better off saying this in a closed matter, just to avoid the probable public scrutiny of being a cocky player.

ackar
04-27-2011, 12:53 PM
i have no issue with it, what is Nelson suppose to say "I hope we get to the second round and i hope to see you there"

Nelson was being fairly confident since they have eliminated the hawks before and the Magic know what it takes to win in the playoffs.

TO to the CHI
04-27-2011, 12:59 PM
Listen at the end of day, Jameer said what he felt and there's nothing wrong with that. Personally, I think the Magic are still going to win this series in 7 games, but that's another discussion. It is odd that he said it front of cameras, but it isn't a huge deal. Still, he's better off saying this in a closed matter, just to avoid the probable public scrutiny of being a cocky player.

This is exactly how I felt about it.

As for the comments saying "what is he supposed to say" that is a pretty bizarre way of looking at it. He didn't have to say anything. He walked to the opposite end of the court to seek out Rose to make the comment and did it during an interview. I question the timing more than the statement and I agree that being confident alone is not a bad thing.

jtsunami
04-27-2011, 01:00 PM
Considering the series isn't over, this thread is pointless... please someone close it.

nitric
04-27-2011, 01:16 PM
Maybe they are friends and Jameer will come watch Bulls games if the Magic get eliminated?

SteBO
04-27-2011, 01:23 PM
Well, it came back to bite Nelson in the..

I'm still rooting for the Magic to advance but you can't tell me he didn't mean what he said.
How? :confused: The series isn't over. You even said it in your last line.

Of course he meant what he said, because I wouldn't expect a professional athlete to say "no way we see in the next round, we're not good enough". He has the right to say what he wants, whether it's morally right or wrong.

I agree with TO to the CHI though, when he said the timing was wierd.

Avenged
04-27-2011, 01:26 PM
How? :confused: The series isn't over. You even said it in your last line.

Of course he meant what he said, because I wouldn't expect a professional athlete to say "no way we see in the next round, we're not good enough". He has the right to say what he wants, whether it's morally right or wrong.

I agree with TO to the CHI though, when he said the timing was wierd.

Unless Nelson thought his team would be down 3-1 then sure.. it didn't bite him. But when you say comments like that, there's no way a player has it in his mind that his team will be on the brink of elimination when he is clearly looking past the Hawks.

"We're not good enough"? LOL. How about not saying anything at all. Nobody asked him anything.

MJ-BULLS
04-27-2011, 01:29 PM
I dont have a problem with Jameer Nelson's confidence telling Rose that, but i do agree if he would of done it behind closed doors it would of showed a little more respect toward the other teams in the nba. particularly the playoff teams.

In the other side, what is he supposed to say? we are not good enough?

SteBO
04-27-2011, 01:32 PM
Unless Nelson thought his team would be down 3-1 then sure.. it didn't bite him. But when you say comments like that, there's no way a player has it in his mind that his team will be on the brink of elimination when he is clearly looking past the Hawks.

"We're not good enough"? LOL. How about not saying anything at all. Nobody asked him anything.
True, that's another option, but it's not like he isn't saying something Kobe wouldn't say, or LeBron, or any other player that's confident in his team. :shrug: Let me ask you this, since many of you seem to be leaving this out, would this be a huge deal if he didn't say this in front of cameras? Let him talk. Why shouldn't he be confident in his team?

SteBO
04-27-2011, 01:33 PM
I dont have a problem with Jameer Nelson's confidence telling Rose that, but i do agree if he would of done it behind closed doors it would of showed a little more respect toward the other teams in the nba. particularly the playoff teams.

This is exactly my point.

Baller1
04-27-2011, 01:35 PM

Well I guess there's an argument for him just not saying anything, which is fair enough.

But I really don't see a problem with what he said. I think it's safe to assume the majority of NBA fans would've tended to agree with what Jameer said. I thought (and still do think) that they were gonna meet in the second round.

ne3xchamps
04-27-2011, 01:51 PM

umm they kind of did. i know indiana put up a good fight, but in the end, everyone knew they weren't beating the bulls. and just like someone else said, nelson should have backed it up. I too don't have a problem with what he said.

sNaKeS
04-27-2011, 03:29 PM
This is thread worthy......now? Where was this when Jameer actually said it on live television, where was this when the magic were down 3-1 in the series? Who cares what he said so long ago, and I'm sure it means absolutely nothing to the hawks at the start of this series because at the front of their minds they remembered the *** whooping they got last year at the hands of the magic.

Bullsfan22
04-27-2011, 03:50 PM

The first part of your post was a bit uncalled for.

Sergio1984
04-27-2011, 04:00 PM
Sure Jameer can still see Rose in the second round....from the stands behind the Bulls bench.

Seriously though, Orlando can EASILY still take the series. Atlanta is in no way a dominant team. When one guy has a bad shooting night, they ALL do which is why they sucked yesterday. If Orlando can have a night as close as they did yesterday and a little more help from Dwight they will take this series to 7 and win it at home.

dnewguy
04-28-2011, 10:04 PM
:facepalm:

Raph12
04-29-2011, 02:18 AM
That's big talk from Nelson, seeming as how he shot under 30% from the floor after Game 1...

Sadds The Gr8
04-29-2011, 02:27 AM
Jameer Nelson fails at life

Rego247
04-29-2011, 02:27 AM
The first part of your post was a bit uncalled for.

its borderline baiting.

championships
04-29-2011, 04:23 AM
Fail: Nelson couldn't back it up.

kblo247
04-29-2011, 04:28 AM
He pulled a Mo Williams and could end up just like him if D12 asks to leave behind closed doors.

This time he embarrassed himself and gave commentators a joke about his team, but at least that is a step up from costing them the title like in 09.