PDA

View Full Version : Ron Artest wins NBA’s 2010-11 citizenship award

JNA17
04-27-2011, 12:41 AM
Six and a half years since the infamous Pacers-Pistons brawl, Ron Artest has won the NBA’s longest-running citizenship and community-service award.

Artest was announced Tuesday as the 2010-11 winner of the J. Walter Kennedy Citizenship Award, presented annually by the Pro Basketball Writers Association to one NBA player, coach or trainer for outstanding service away from the game. I will present the trophy to Artest on behalf of the PBWA just before tip-off of Game 5 of the Hornets-Lakers playoff series Tuesday night at Staples Center.

Artest has generated tremendous exposure for mental-health counseling in schools with his speaking engagements, even appearing in front of members of Congress in Washington in February. He raffled the 2010 NBA championship ring won in his first season with the Lakers, and the “Win My Bling” contest wound up in December with lifelong Lakers fans Raymond Mikhael of Hawthorne getting Artest’s ring — and Artest’s Xcel University charity getting more than $650,000.

“Ron has such a passion for the issue, and has demonstrated such leadership he was a perfect choice for such a prestigious award,” said Doug Smith of the Toronto Star and president of the PBWA. “His work embodies the kind of dedication to important causes that NBA players have become known for.”

Artest’s offbeat personality — appearing on “The Jimmy Kimmel Show” in just boxers a year and a half ago, planning careers in the NFL and as a pro boxer after basketball, releasing a new song called “Go Loco” — and his tarnished reputation from going into the crowd to fight that 2004 night in Auburn Hills, Mich., didn’t stop him from getting more votes for the Kennedy award than fellow finalists Marcus Camby, Dwight Howard and Kyle Korver.

When told a month ago he was a finalist for the award, Artest said: “Oh, wow. Oh, wow. … I’m not sure what everyone is doing, but congratulations to everybody. It’s cool.”

Last season, Artest even revealed he used to drink alcohol before games while playing for the Chicago Bulls and past marital infidelities in hopes of enlightening today’s youth about moving forward from missteps. He has tried to steer clear of controversy as he tries to change his image — while continuing to speak his mind.

Artest is the first Laker to win the award since Magic Johnson won in 1992 for his campaign to raise AIDS awareness.

The award is named for the second commissioner in NBA history and dates back to 1975, when Wes Unseld won the first award. The most recent winners are Steve Nash, Chauncey Billups, Dikembe Mutombo and Samuel Dalembert.

http://lakers.ocregister.com/2011/04/26/ron-artest-wins-nbas-2010-11-citizenship-award/53417/

He's come a long way. A huge irony to most fans as well. Either way, Congrats :clap:

JB0B0
04-27-2011, 12:44 AM
"A huge irony" is the first thing that came to mind. Artest has come a long way and I'm happy for him.

Iggz53
04-27-2011, 12:46 AM
I'm honestly shocked :laugh2: good work Ron

six
04-27-2011, 12:49 AM
Artest is crazy, that's pretty much why i like him though =D Didn't he auction off his ring for the fight against mental illness? Very generous of him.

JNA17
04-27-2011, 12:58 AM
Artest is crazy, that's pretty much why i like him though =D Didn't he auction off his ring for the fight against mental illness? Very generous of him.

It was indeed. You would think an nba player that ever won a championship ring would cherish that ring forever until the day he passes away. That or he probably knows that the lakers will get him another ring this year so he said screw it :p.

TheHoopsProphet
04-27-2011, 01:01 AM
What felt like four scores and seven years ago, a tragedy struck the Auburn Palace in what furture historians would call, "R-Day", which would forever change the way refs, fans, and players would interact with each other.

But now, now my friends, this is a glorious day. A day where the bells of ice cream trucks can be heard through the ears of all children, a day where religion is not seen as an ultimatum but a introduction, a day where bigotry becomes faith, and racism becomes cultural empathy.

And on this day, let it be known throughout the world, that a green beast once heralded, "anythings possible". Never shall we shake our heads at the idea that John C. Reily can reach the cover of GQ magazine. Never shall we denounce the notion that women can think for themselves. That M. Night Shyamalan can win an Oscar for best director. That Chauncy Billups can actually live up to his nickname. That Scarlett Johanson bosoms can be planted into the faces of every acne-ridden teen across the globe. That communism will be announced not with a pejorative tone or hatred, but with jubilation and a synonym for freedom! That Lebron James himself can too be a champion.

let this day be known, as the day that Ron Artest forever changed our concepts of what it means to be a human being. Destroy all of your dictionaries that say not under the terms, "glory, man, legend", Sir Ron Artest.

JNA17
04-27-2011, 01:04 AM
What felt like four scores and seven years ago, a tragedy struck the Auburn Palace in what furture historians would call, "R-Day", which would forever change the way refs, fans, and players would interact with each other.

But now, now my friends, this is a glorious day. A day where the bells of ice cream trucks can be heard through the ears of all children, a day where religion is not seen as an ultimatum but a introduction, a day where bigotry becomes faith, and racism becomes cultural empathy.

And on this day, let it be known throughout the world, that a green beast once heralded, "anythings possible". Never shall we shake our heads at the idea that John C. Reily can reach the cover of GQ magazine. Never shall we denounce the notion that women can think for themselves. That M. Night Shyamalan can win an Oscar for best director. That Chauncy Billups can actually live up to his nickname. That Scarlett Johanson bosoms can be planted into the faces of every acne-ridden teen across the globe. That communism will be announced not with a pejorative tone or hatred, but with jubilation and a synonym for freedom! That Lebron James himself can too be a champion.

let this day be known, as the day that Ron Artest forever changed our concepts of what it means to be a human being. Destroy all of your dictionaries that say not under the terms, "glory, man, legend", Sir Ron Artest.

did i just encounter the best post ever?

mohye
04-27-2011, 01:24 AM
did i just encounter the best post ever?

^this

Kobes a Killer
04-27-2011, 01:25 AM
Shocking, good job though Ron Ron, you've come a long way

Kobes a Killer
04-27-2011, 01:28 AM

LOL WTF? Well put sir, well put

TopsyTurvy
04-27-2011, 02:14 AM
My guess is Ron won this because he announced his rap career was over.

godolphins
04-27-2011, 02:39 AM
:clap: Congrats

NetsPaint
04-27-2011, 02:52 AM
He put the effort to change things around for himself and others. Well done.

LakersIn5
04-27-2011, 03:21 AM

:clap: to both you and ron ron

FadeAwayLikeMJ
04-27-2011, 09:56 AM
unreal

Ovratd1up
04-27-2011, 04:41 PM

Besides a couple of words, this is the first thing that came to my mind when I read the title.