PDA

View Full Version : Gilbert Arenas:"Give me 38 mins, Ill give you 25 9 and 6 assists."

JordansBulls
04-26-2011, 03:48 PM
http://www.slamonline.com/online/the-magazine/features/2011/04/zero-sum-game/2/

"If you gave mehypothetically because I'm not going to get it anytime soonif you gave me 38 minutes, I'd give you 25, 9 and 6 assists," he says. "I had the same knee last year and I was averaging 22 and 7. I had this knee the beginning of the season and I was averaging 17, 7 and 6. It's the same knee."

You know, I averaged 29 and thats all people see, but I also had two other players that averaged 20 with me, so I did do a lot of passing. Part of my game is trying to get everybody involved and then I get aggressive, he says. Im not playing the 38-to-42 minutes that I used to play where I could take my time, get everybody involved and still dominate. Right now Im comfortable coming off the bench. Basketball is basketball. I may not have confidence in my shot, but Ryan, JJ, they have theirs and they know Im looking for them when I get in.

I can play the game. Its just right now Im in a limited role. And if you see my production in that limited role, if were down, were going to be up. If were up, were going to be up further. If you look at any big game that we win, Im in that stretch, he says. I guess people look at the numbers and not the production. As soon as I get here, we go on a nine-game winning streak. Ryan Anderson is all of a sudden playing basketball out of this world. Whos finding him? Or JJ? Whos finding these guys?

Gators123
04-26-2011, 03:50 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh2:

Bruno
04-26-2011, 03:52 PM
Bold claim by Gil.

On how many FGAs I wonder...

I agree that he needs to be a factor for the Magic to be successful, but I don't think he can put up those numbers anymore. If he did, his efficiency would be below par, IMO and other guys who need to be involved wouldn't be as involved as they should.

Sadds The Gr8
04-26-2011, 03:54 PM
oh. and will he should 39% and have 8 Turnovers per game in the process?

:facepalm:

Chi StateOfMind
04-26-2011, 03:55 PM
Whats' the worst that can happen. They need firepower and there 1 game from elimination and Nelson isn't beasting soooo.....

Atticus Finch
04-26-2011, 03:56 PM
9 rebounds?? The rest of it is plausible, but claiming he can get 9 boards in 38 minutes is comedic considering he couldn't even get 5 playing 40 minutes BEFORE he got hurt

stlbest5in2013
04-26-2011, 03:57 PM
kirk would eat him alive. kirk would go for 40 against that summer league defense in arenas

FinsSuperBowl
04-26-2011, 04:04 PM
kirk would eat him alive. kirk would go for 40 against that summer league defense in arenas
no way kirk hinrich would ever score 40 in a game. I could see him only scring about 25 and thats only if they give him the rondo treatment lol

cbritz4
didn't he also say he could average like 60 points or some bs for duke, years ago

BALLER R
am I the only one that thought he should of had the ball in the final seconds of that last game

rapjuicer06
04-26-2011, 04:06 PM
am I the only one that thought he should of had the ball in the final seconds of that last game

no sir, you are not

YoungOne
04-26-2011, 04:10 PM
he played pretty well last game..

ChitownSports16
04-26-2011, 04:12 PM

Nope... he was on fire at the time.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-26-2011, 04:16 PM
:facepalm:

on 35% shooting probably

gwrighter
04-26-2011, 04:17 PM
if this was my player on 2k11, he would most definitely answer the questions with Arrogance.

i see what he's trying to say though

Chronz
04-26-2011, 04:20 PM
Arenas has always been a stat guy, but hes not taking his own advice. 22-7 with horrendous efficiency isnt what the Magic need right now.

Geargo Wallace
04-26-2011, 04:35 PM
this Gilbert has more sense and is less annoying: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LPXWqr_yIo

WeBallin
04-26-2011, 04:35 PM
Arenas Defense < Jameer Defense...........I always thought the Gilbert Arenas trade would put Jameer on the Bench but i guess not.....Jameer to me is no Startin PG IMO i don't care bout his numbers i think his a liablity on the court

hgtiger32
04-26-2011, 04:36 PM
id rather take my chances with him shooting the ball instead of Hedo, Richardson, or Nelson

5ass
04-26-2011, 04:43 PM
If im svg i would start him at pg and play him 30 mpg, let him go out there and prove himself, right now id much rather have jameer and richardson off the bench. I would probably sit hedo too and bass. Let arenas jj q-rich anderson and howard start

Wiz kids
04-26-2011, 04:44 PM
Gilbert being Gilbert.

Tony_Starks
04-26-2011, 04:45 PM
At this point what do they have to lose? Nelson isn't getting it done, one of those games he had like 2 points by halftime. Ridiculous!

Geargo Wallace
04-26-2011, 04:51 PM
Arenas Defense < Jameer Defense...........I always thought the Gilbert Arenas trade would put Jameer on the Bench but i guess not.....Jameer to me is no Startin PG IMO i don't care bout his numbers i think his a liablity on the court

That means that Arenas' D is worse than Nelson's. Wouldn't that make Gilly the bigger liability?

h2r09
04-26-2011, 05:06 PM
they left out the part where he continued to say that he would do it on 23 shots on 38% shooting in a loss.

Avenged
04-26-2011, 05:14 PM
25 inefficient points, 9 turnovers, and 6 fouls.. sure.

KingPosey
04-26-2011, 05:15 PM

nope. Arenas can hit 30ft bombs.

ChiSox219
04-26-2011, 05:23 PM
Arenas per 38 minutes in the playoffs (very small sample size):

25.8 points, 5.5 rebounds, 5.5 assists

His regular season per 40 minutes with Orlando (49 games)

14.6 points, 4.4 rebounds, 5.9 assists

I'd rather have Jameer on the court but I've always been a fan of Nelson's game.

Ni55anpat
04-26-2011, 05:26 PM
If he played 38min, he would get some good #'s....and he should start of Nelson IMO

Kashmir13579
04-26-2011, 05:29 PM
gilly!!! give him the rock folks.

D-Leethal
04-26-2011, 05:29 PM
Damn talk about a ****ing stat whore. How about doing the other things to help your team win in your limited role?

ManRam
04-26-2011, 05:35 PM
Funny, he has his one impressive game of the year (the Charlotte game was a fluke; he was just hoisting threes), and he opens his mouth.

Maybe if he showed an iota of ability all season he'd DESERVE the minutes he thinks he does. Too bad he hasn't, and he still doesn't. Even in Washington when he was getting minutes, he was scoring 17 points, but needed 16 shots to do so. That's TERRIBLE.

I have no faith in him. I still think he's closer to the DNP-CD player than the player he was on Sunday.

He deserves not to be benched tonight, but he'll be on the tight leash as always. If we need Gil to play well to win, we don't deserve to win.

MelkyNYY
04-26-2011, 05:38 PM
Kirk? Are you serious? Gilbert owns Kirk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcajwfVHTYI&feature=related

Gilbert: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5Wbd56RB3I&feature=related
Gilbert: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3aSEVtmSNw

Start Gilber.

ManRam
04-26-2011, 05:39 PM
Kelly Dwyer tells it how it is...

We could spend hundreds of words ripping on the guy, but what's the point?
Gilbert Arenas(notes) is obviously a lion in winter, shoved knee first into the tail end of a career that really shouldn't have presented itself this quickly, and he'll just say whatever he can to whomever he can to try to amp up the idea that he's still relevant as an NBA player. If that sounds harsh, I'm sorry, but Arenas' decision-making has cost the Orlando Magic plenty of games (or, at least, chances to win games down the stretch) since his trade to the team last winter, and (shock horror!) it doesn't actually appear as if Gil gets it.

Gets that he should be pushing the ball, and trying to find others while working through that surgically repaired knee. Gets that he shouldn't be firing up long jumpers. Gets that, sorry Gil, those superstar days are over.

But in an interview with SLAM, Gilbert just doesn't get it:

If you gave me—hypothetically because I'm not going to get it anytime soon—if you gave me 38 minutes, I'd give you 25, 9 and 6 assists," he says. "I had the same knee last year and I was averaging 22 and 7. I had this knee the beginning of the season and I was averaging 17, 7 and 6. It's the same knee.

I like how, after an interview spent mostly trumping up how much he likes to find J.J. Redick(notes) and Ryan Anderson(notes) on the break with his passes, he still goes conservative with the assists average. How with the Wizards he was averaging six assists, and how that number would remain the same with Orlando despite better teammates and more minutes.

Also, in 34.6 minutes per game with Washington this year (same knee) he averaged 17.3 points, 3.3 rebounds and 5.6 assists. The recollection of last year's stats was spot-on, but pro-rated over 36 minutes of action per contest with the Magic this season, Arenas is averaging 13.2 points, 5.3 assists and four rebounds per game. It's entirely possible that Arenas could make up that 12-point, five-rebound, and one-assist gulf in two more minutes per game, as he predicts, but you'd have to be under the influence of crazy to do so.

No word on how an increase in minutes would significantly help Arenas' ungodly 34.4 percent shooting mark from the field, or the brain that tells him to shoot over six 3-pointers for every 36 minutes he plays despite managing just a 27.5 percent mark from long range, but … well, I guess I just did spend a couple of hundred words ripping on the guy.

I'm sorry, but the empathy and goodwill towards a player that has gone through various unfair and crippling injury issues nearly goes out the window when the player continues to fire away as if nothing has gone wrong, while talking up his own skills behind the scenes. Had Gilbert changed his game to suit his floor-bound ways, or attempted to even slightly sound humble as he brags away on record, then we'd feel completely different. Despite what you think of us media, we honestly do want a nice story at the end of our particular day.

But this is just another example of Glbert flailing away. On court or off, pretending as if nothing's happened. And it's sad. It truly is.

This is how SLAM ended the interview:

I guess people look at the numbers and not the production. As soon as I get here, we go on a nine-game winning streak. Ryan Anderson is all of a sudden playing basketball out of this world. Who's finding him? Or JJ? Who's finding these guys?

"But nobody really looks at that. It's just the stat line.

Gilbert, I write a column called "Behind the Box Score." I pay attention to stat lines, but I couldn't tell you how many points per game you averaged this year without looking it up. That also goes for Keith Bogans(notes), but that also goes for Durant, Kobe and D-Wade. Overall, I watch the games, not the stat lines.

And in the games I saw, I watched as you forced things that weren't there, working with a body that hasn't worked for you for three years. That last part isn't your fault, but the lack of recognition is your fault. If I can recognize it, without looking at your stat line, then you should be aware following another night of missing 7-of-10 shots.

But most of all? This post wouldn't even exist were it not for the pull quote that has you bragging about putting up LeBron James(notes)-level numbers if you were afforded 38 minutes per game. It looks as if you, more than anyone else, is obsessed with your stat line.

Or, what it used to look like.

Yahoo.com

I don't like Gil...at all.

Shareeb_omac2
04-26-2011, 05:56 PM

According to the Bulls-Wizards first round matchup a few years back it was the complete opposite...

stlbest5in2013
04-26-2011, 05:56 PM
Kirk? Are you serious? Gilbert owns Kirk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcajwfVHTYI&feature=related

Gilbert: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5Wbd56RB3I&feature=related
Gilbert: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3aSEVtmSNw

Start Gilberg.

fixed

assisi805
04-26-2011, 06:17 PM
Only a matter of time before he pulls another gun and loses another year.

Hawkeye15
04-26-2011, 06:38 PM
unless he is bringing the former Gil into this universe via a time machine, he is on crack

mustaine
04-26-2011, 07:17 PM
He was actually the only Magic perimeter player that showed up last game. Why not give him a chance?

MalZee24
04-26-2011, 07:34 PM

nope. i agree with u that he should've

AddiX
04-26-2011, 07:38 PM
So basically Gil wants to shoot more. No news here.

Raph12
04-26-2011, 11:51 PM
If he plays the way he did tonight (aggressively attacking the basket), give him 25+mins... It really depends on which Gil shows up.

This was a night where everyone had it going offensively, I want to see these guys step up when we need buckets.

TheRunKiller
04-27-2011, 12:11 AM
maybe 25 bricks 9 turnovers and 6 fouls

terp12354
04-27-2011, 12:48 AM
I feel so bad for gil. When he was with the Wiz he lived in our neighborhood in Great falls and me and my family got to know him pretty well and honestly he is probably one of the 5 nicest people I have ever met. He does not always think things through all the time and makes some immature decisions, but he is a genuine caring and truly nice person that cares abotu his friends and teammates. People only see the quirky side of him, the slightly bold side and assume he's a prick which unfortunately couldn't be further from the truth. He's the kind of guy that if he heard your son needed a kidney transplant would put his career on hold or end it to give him the organ.

Now as a basketball player.....he's not the same old Gil, BUT still should be playing more right now and should have taken that last shot instead of Hedo.....

KnicksorBust
04-27-2011, 11:30 AM
Funny, he has his one impressive game of the year (the Charlotte game was a fluke; he was just hoisting threes), and he opens his mouth.
Maybe if he showed an iota of ability all season he'd DESERVE the minutes he thinks he does. Too bad he hasn't, and he still doesn't. Even in Washington when he was getting minutes, he was scoring 17 points, but needed 16 shots to do so. That's TERRIBLE.

I have no faith in him. I still think he's closer to the DNP-CD player than the player he was on Sunday.

He deserves not to be benched tonight, but he'll be on the tight leash as always. If we need Gil to play well to win, we don't deserve to win.

This was the first thing I thought. I made a post a few years ago of the top 5 players that could never win an NBA Championship. I believe I had Vince Carter at #2 and Gilbert Arenas was #1.

He will always want to be that "HIBACHI" caller who can take 30 shots per game and has the spotlight centered solely on him. You have the most dominant offensive bigman on the planet and your thrilled because you hit a couple of shots and you can make easy swing passes to good shooters? How bout you learn how to feed the post, run the pick and roll, or drive and dish?

I still think the Magic will advance and think he can be useful but only as a player stays in only when he's producing and sits when he shows even signs of being cold and/or selfish.

Mile High Champ
04-27-2011, 12:01 PM
Arenas simply needs to just bring it and stop running his mouth. I was really hoping that whole gun incident from last season would help turn Arenas into more of a humble player. I can understand that coming off the bench is probably not Arenas most desirable situation but that is the task he is being given right now. Some nights he will see the minutes and others he will not. The Magic have a good back court in J-Rich and Nelson; there is simply not enough minutes to give Arenas 38 on a daily basis.

sep11ie
04-27-2011, 12:15 PM
So basically Gil wants to shoot more. No news here.

That's comedy!

Giantwarrior
04-27-2011, 12:36 PM
He should just worry about which shoes he wants to wear while riding the bench. Louis Vuitton or Gucci?

Double_R
04-27-2011, 12:58 PM

Double_R
04-27-2011, 12:59 PM

He definitely should have had the ball in his hand then.

ON topic, I would love to see Gilbert be like his old self again; during those years, he was my favorite player to watch. 30ft buzzer beaters every game.