PDA

View Full Version : What might have been

hotpotato1092
04-26-2011, 03:19 AM
What players had careers that, as fans, you aren't satisfied with? This might be because of injuries, drugs, bad team situations, personal issues or whatever. Here are a few for me:

Bill Walton: He was well on his way to being one of the best ten players ever, if he could have stayed on the floor we'd be talking about Bill Walton the same way we talk about Kareem, Wilt, Hakeem, Shaq and every other great non Russell center.

Darko Milicic: I firmly believe that, if he had landed on the right team that had developed him correctly, Darko could have been an all star. But Larry Brown wasn't interested in developing a long term project, so by the time he left Detroit his confidence was so shaken that he could never be a star. We saw flashes in Orlando, but we'll never know what Darko could have been.

Len Bias: When someone with the statue of coach K says "of all the players I've coached against, two have stood out: one was Michael Jordan, the other was Len Bias", it really makes you think. He could have been the next great Celtic. But cocaine ended it all far too quickly. Of all the NBA careers I'd like to see a do over on, this is my #1, I'd give a **** load to see what Len Bias could have done.

asandhu23
04-26-2011, 03:23 AM
Connie Hawkins... he was banned for the first few years from NBA and ABA and then injuries...

Tdotraptors
04-26-2011, 03:29 AM
grant hill, greg oden, yao ming and soon to be brandon roy all cuz of injuries

TrueFan420
04-26-2011, 03:38 AM
yea i would have loved to see what grant hill could have done with a healthy career. also jay williams would have been interesting to see.

stawka
04-26-2011, 03:45 AM
Grant Hill and Penny stick out for me, probably because it was in the NBA's golden era and both were great from day one in the league

northsid3r
04-26-2011, 03:46 AM
yea i would have loved to see what grant hill could have done with a healthy career. also jay williams would have been interesting to see.

That's who i had on my mind. jay williams had an inconsistant rookie year would have been nice to see what kind of player he would have been.

Master Mind
04-26-2011, 03:52 AM
Harold Miner :p

Naw but seriously Harold Miner, he was called Baby Jordan...

Whomewhome
04-26-2011, 03:56 AM
Drazen Petrovic. Killed way too early in his career. He was entering his prime.

Sebastien Telfair: This dude can ball, but somehow he wasted all his talents when he signed his rookie contract

Kwame Brown: MJ screwed him up so badly he never had a chance

northsid3r
04-26-2011, 04:01 AM
I also wonder about the 6 years that micheal jordan could have played but didn't. i wonder how many rings he would have and what his career stats would look like.

Bulls_fan90
04-26-2011, 04:09 AM

Sebastien Telfair: This dude can ball, but somehow he wasted all his talents when he signed his rookie contract

Kwame Brown: MJ screwed him up so badly he never had a chance

It was god that screwed Kwame with small hands and a small brain.

TrueFan420
04-26-2011, 04:23 AM

this too... he could have been great but landed on a roster that was not gonna give him much of a chance plus euros where not getting much love at the time.

northsid3r
04-26-2011, 04:25 AM
:laugh:

:) HAHAHAHA

PocketKings
04-26-2011, 04:34 AM
Shocked no one mentioned who I'm about to say...

Jonathan Bender. He had so much potential... but he had the knee's of a 91 year old... smfh... I thought and hoped he would be an absolute monster.

SouthSideSox
04-26-2011, 09:53 AM
#1 Drazen Petrovic

NYKnicksAllDay
04-26-2011, 10:10 AM
Gilbert Arenas. 3 really good seasons, then the injury bug bit.

NYKnicksAllDay
04-26-2011, 10:11 AM
I hope Andrew Bynum doesn't have to be added to this list of players in a few years. Would be a shame to see another player go down to knee issues.

Tarheels23
04-26-2011, 10:16 AM
Celtics got screwed.... Len Bias and then Reggie Lewis

mfb_lt1birdman
04-26-2011, 10:32 AM
Penny and Hill for me.

Dstmccoy
04-26-2011, 11:00 AM

:laugh: X 2

Htownballa1622
04-26-2011, 11:00 AM
T mac and yao :(

ne3xchamps
04-26-2011, 11:11 AM
I also wonder about the 6 years that micheal jordan could have played but didn't. i wonder how many rings he would have and what his career stats would look like.

what 6 years? I can only remember him taking 2 years off. unless you mean he could have played 4 more years when he retired? Not being a smarta-s either. just trying to understand what you mean by 6 years.

TomTerrific
04-26-2011, 11:12 AM
Yao.

ne3xchamps
04-26-2011, 11:13 AM
I hope Andrew Bynum doesn't have to be added to this list of players in a few years. Would be a shame to see another player go down to knee issues.

Oh he will. dude has glass knees.

ne3xchamps
04-26-2011, 11:15 AM
I agree with quite a few people though. Yao, and Penny would have been sweet. Penny was one of my favorite players way back when.

asandhu23
04-26-2011, 11:15 AM
Imagine Wilt's stats if he was allowed to come to NBA straight out of high school and he wasn't part of Harlem Globetrotters in the summer....

FUKudomeYOMOMMA
04-26-2011, 11:27 AM
jay williams
grant hill
i also woulda liked to see sabonis when he was young and had knees in the nba

Lo Porto
04-26-2011, 11:45 AM
Len Bias (RIP) by far. Many said he was just as good or better than Jordan. He was amazing. Hank Gathers (RIP), Reggie Lewis (RIP), and Drazen Petrovic (RIP) are honorable mention. All of these guys were special people and players who passed well before their times.

NYKnicksAllDay
04-26-2011, 11:47 AM
Oh man, I completely forgot about Hank Gathers.

JordansBulls
04-26-2011, 11:48 AM
Drazen Petrovic
Penny Hardaway
Grant Hill

NYKnicksAllDay
04-26-2011, 11:48 AM
These two aren't injury related, but Tyrus Thomas and Marvin Williams are never going to live up to the hype they received coming out.

JordansBulls
04-26-2011, 11:50 AM
Celtics got screwed.... Len Bias and then Reggie Lewis

I don't think they got screwed, they got the #2 pick in the draft that year when they were in the finals 3 years in a row. That's would be me saying the Spurs got the #2 pick in the 2003 draft when they won it all and could have gotten Wade or Melo and something happened where they couldn't play in the league and say the Spurs got screwed.

hotpotato1092
04-26-2011, 06:26 PM
The Celtics did get screwed, not necessarily because of the tragedies of Bias and Lewis (I believe they did get screwed on that, but if you don't I see your logic), but because the league made them keep Reggie Lewis' contract on the salary cap. The guy was literally dead money on their cap, they couldn't even replace him.

The Final Boss
04-26-2011, 07:34 PM
Kobe and Shaq had a ton more potential if not for this thing we call ego. Those kind of guys always have them though.

JerseysFinest
04-26-2011, 07:50 PM
One name I can think of as a Nets fan is VC.
This man had so much talent, had we worked hard enough, had he had the drive and motivation, he could've easily been the second coming of Jordan, some even contending better

koetravis
04-26-2011, 07:58 PM
Tracy McGrady.

hotpotato1092
04-26-2011, 08:15 PM
Kobe and Shaq had a ton more potential if not for this thing we call ego. Those kind of guys always have them though.

I will always believe that if Jerry West never left as their GM they would have passed MJ's Bulls. Kobe wasn't quite MJ, but he was damn close, and Shaq was just as good if not better. We have never had, and never again will have, a situation where the league's clear two best players were on the same team. Tim Duncan was a distant third. If Jerry West stays, he keeps their ego in check and makes the right moves around them to keep them going. Aside from boredom, nothing would have stopped this team.

northsid3r
04-27-2011, 03:06 AM
what 6 years? I can only remember him taking 2 years off. unless you mean he could have played 4 more years when he retired? Not being a smarta-s either. just trying to understand what you mean by 6 years.

he missed one year due to injury, 2 years when he retired the first time, then retired a second time and came back 3 years later as a wizard. 6 years all together that he could have played but didn't due to injury or retirement before leaving for good.

jimbobjarree
04-27-2011, 03:26 AM
Andrei Kirilenko. People forget how good he was. Back in 2003 he had 2 5x5 games, made the all defensive 1st team, led the league in blocks and was an allstar in 2004 (averaging around 16-7.5-3.5-2-3 between 03 & 06). He actually deserved the big contract, then he just caught the injury bug and saw his role reduced with the arrival of Boozer. Now he's a mere role player.

rhino17
04-27-2011, 04:11 AM
Penny

Ralph Sampson

Shaun Livingston

Michael Dickerson

JCSchwa
04-27-2011, 04:42 AM
len bias and no one else is close...but then penny, and g.hill i guess

Crackadalic
04-27-2011, 08:00 AM
If yao ming didnt have glass feet he could have been one of the better centers in nba history. He pretty much brought a billions worth of people from china in more interest in basketball

NYKalltheway
04-27-2011, 08:05 AM

Drazen Petrovic had accepted a contract from Panathinaikos, Greek club ;) So he wouldn't have played in the NBA again anyway. It's a real tragedy the way he died :(

Tracy McGrady
Grant Hill
Penny Hardaway
Eddy Curry??
Allan Houston(towards the end of his career)

TO to the CHI
04-27-2011, 08:48 AM
One name I can think of as a Nets fan is VC.
This man had so much talent, had we worked hard enough, had he had the drive and motivation, he could've easily been the second coming of Jordan, some even contending better

I am stunned it took this long for Wince to come up and even more stunned that a Nets fan brought it up. The Nets should be disappointed in Wince, but it was pretty established that he had no heart when they traded for him. As a Raptors fan, I can't help but imagine what it would have been like if Wince had some heart and toughness, worked daily at his craft, could fight through minor pain, and gained a killer instinct on the court.

Instead the guy with the most athleticism on the court in nearly every game will end his career with a ROY, a dunk title, and a reputation as one of the softest players to every play the game.

TO to the CHI
04-27-2011, 09:08 AM
Drazen Petrovic had accepted a contract from Panathinaikos, Greek club ;) So he wouldn't have played in the NBA again anyway. It's a real tragedy the way he died :(

Tracy McGrady
Grant Hill
Penny Hardaway
Eddy Curry??
Allan Houston(towards the end of his career)

That was merely rumored. And I think Petrovic is a great answer in this thread considering how talented he was and how young he was when he died.

Also, all of the answers you gave except for Houston make a lot of sense to me. I think Houston got most of what could be expected out of his career.

NYKalltheway
04-27-2011, 09:16 AM
It was not just a rumor ;)
I have quotes from Drazen himself two days before his death saying: "I'm coming to PAO and along with Galis and Stojko [Vrankovic] we'll destroy everything in our path"
And a few other quotes from an interview he gave upon signing ;)
Even his full salary was paid, due to respect, to his parents and they received an hononary Panathinaikos plaque. People would not do that if it wasn't a done deal, now would they? We're talking about a lot of money here for a player who's never even played for the team!

As for Houston, he was well past his prime, but he could have been useful for us Knicks. That injury cost us 4-5 seasons of possible playoff seasons ;)

Epicfailure
04-27-2011, 09:25 AM
It's gotta be Grant Hill. I mean he had statistically one of the greatest seasons of any player ever when he put up averages of 20, 10, and 7 his second season. That's just insane. There's no doubt in my mind that had he stayed healthy he would be considered as one of the all time greats.

ball4reel
04-27-2011, 09:27 AM
Benard King

Drunken Machine
04-27-2011, 11:25 AM
all the name mentioned before are worthy, i'll just add another name:

Arvydas Sabonis:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06usV6451ik

Bill Walton himself called a young Sabs "a 7"3 Larry Bird", its a shame with all foot and knee problems as well as drinking problems he had...

ttam68
04-27-2011, 01:15 PM
#1 Drazen Petrovic

Your sig is awesome

KnicksorBust
04-27-2011, 04:09 PM
Chris Webber. If the Magic hadn't traded that pick and just drafted him at #1 then he would have been the perfect #2 option for Shaq, would have rings, and would be could be a top 35-40 player of all-time.

Mallpha
04-27-2011, 06:43 PM
Like many picks mentioned above especially Grant Hill and Penny since they were the players i enjoyed to watch as a kid.

I know he wasnt a great player but i always liked Malik Sealy dont really know why but i always felt like he was that super spark of bench.

hustleloyrspct
04-27-2011, 07:05 PM
Penny and Grant Hill definately come to mind. An honorable mention would go to Jay Williams.

Chill_Will_24
04-27-2011, 09:00 PM
Allen Iverson... This guy was so talented and was easily the most exciting player of his time. A former MVP and no NBA team will even give him a chance now... He'll retire without ever having accomplished anything significant in his career and will probably not be a HOFer

m26555
04-27-2011, 09:15 PM
Shawn Kemp and Isaiah Rider.

Allen Iverson... This guy was so talented and was easily the most exciting player of his time. A former MVP and no NBA team will even give him a chance now... He'll retire without ever having accomplished anything significant in his career and will probably not be a HOFer
Seriously?

kilgore2345
04-27-2011, 09:52 PM

I think MJ most benefited from taking at least those two years off. The NBA season is grueling; I think if he played the 93-94, 94-95 seasons completely, he wouldn't have played those seasons up to when he was 40. His knees would have been in much worse shape come 1998. I would like to say that the Bulls could have won 8 in a row, but that is asking for a lot.

However, we are talking about MJ, so I am probably wrong.

northsid3r
04-28-2011, 06:46 AM
I think MJ most benefited from taking at least those two years off. The NBA season is grueling; I think if he played the 93-94, 94-95 seasons completely, he wouldn't have played those seasons up to when he was 40. His knees would have been in much worse shape come 1998. I would like to say that the Bulls could have won 8 in a row, but that is asking for a lot.

However, we are talking about MJ, so I am probably wrong.

I get your point about how maybe it was good he didn't play those two years, maybe it was good for the NBA that the Rockets won 2 titles. We will never know, this thread is one of those "what ifs" that everyone hate i'm suprised i received this many replies.

X12Celtics3
04-28-2011, 09:49 AM
1. Len Bias
2. Reggie Lewis
3. Grant Hill

ohreally
04-28-2011, 09:51 AM
Len Bias, no doubt.

Bernard King

Grant Hill

Eddy Curry has to be the poster child for waste of talent due to not keeping in shape, though I guess you could say for not staying in school too, since he never grew up.

Stephon Marbury has to be the poster child for waste of talent due to disturbed brain waves (was he dropped on his head as a baby?) Yeah, he still did things in the league, but he was so fragile and arrogant and insecure and stupid he really just wasted all that talent.

I also have to think Micheal Ray Richardson. Drugs, of course, have ruined multitudes of careers but I really think Micheal had the package that could have made him a really special player.

Kashmir13579
04-28-2011, 01:35 PM
Jamal Crawford: top NBA talent imo. has never been on good teams.

T-Mac: could've been top 10 of all time had he been on the right teams and without the injuries.

Jermaine O'neal: he was an MVP candidate year in and year out and then what happened? its not like he had a gradual decline like Shaq, he fell off the map completely.

Eddy Curry: imagine if he didn't have the mindset of a ballerina.

Greg Oden: what can really be said about him???

Dejuan Blair: he's great but imagine he still had both of his ACLs.

those are a handful that come to mind.

Rosh
04-28-2011, 03:39 PM
Len Bias vs MJ would have been a cool rivalry.

KingsPhillies
04-28-2011, 04:05 PM
Len Bias, without a doubt.

I also think Darryl Dawkins could have been a lot better if he didn't get caught up in the drugs, women, parties and such. I remember the first time I saw him being interviewed I thought he was frickin' crazy. The talent was there, though.

ThePusherMan26
04-28-2011, 04:07 PM
Earl "The GOAT" Manigault