PDA

View Full Version : So so so.......

Hellcrooner
04-25-2011, 10:42 PM
What can you say NOW bout the Gasol trade?

MArc Gasol / CAPSPACE ( mckie and kwame) BECAME RANDOLPH /DARREL ARTHUR and another pick yet to be made.

Still saying it was the lakers robbing?

Avenged
04-25-2011, 10:47 PM
..yes

a highway robbery.

M. Gasol wasn't even in the league when that trade went down, of course it was lopsided.

Hellcrooner
04-25-2011, 10:50 PM
..yes

a highway robbery.

M. Gasol wasn't even in the league when that trade went down, of course it was lopsided.

Scouts are pros that make a living form rating players.

Do you think Grizz didnt know what they were getting?

TheHoopsProphet
04-25-2011, 10:52 PM
Grizzlies cant afford to keep Gasol and Randolph, never even forced lakers to take a bad contract with Pau. The fuel of Lakers glory runs from the tears of the Memphis fanbase, and with every fist-pump Pau makes after making a sweeping hook to the basket to lead them to yet another win, somehow, somewhere the bbq meat on a kids plate in his backyard will taste that much bitter, and the music of Elvis will be one day further away from its glory days of yore. The trade was a testament that the smalltown city's assassination of Martin Luther King Jr. would not be the only significant death to pass through its dismal history, the death of pro-basketball would also follow Dr King to his grave. God help you Memphis, and may you dethrone Chris Wallace's reign of terror someday.

SP17
04-25-2011, 10:55 PM
Btw i Thinks vazquez is the 2nd 1st rounder we traded them..

Hustlenomics
04-25-2011, 10:57 PM
Grizzlies cant afford to keep Gasol and Randolph, never even forced lakers to take a bad contract with Pau. The fuel of Lakers glory runs from the tears of the Memphis fanbase, and with every fist-pump Pau makes after making a sweeping hook to the basket to lead them to yet another win, somehow, somewhere the bbq meat on a kids plate in his backyard will taste that much bitter, and the music of Elvis will be one day further away from its glory days of yore. The trade was a testament that the smalltown city's assassination of Martin Luther King Jr. would not be the only significant death to pass through its dismal history, the death of pro-basketball would also follow Dr King to his grave. God help you Memphis, and may you dethrone Chris Wallace's reign of terror someday.

:laugh:

sep11ie
04-25-2011, 10:58 PM
Can't say ZBo since he wasn't part of the trade. Yea, they got him afterwards, but with no idea how he would turn out. What happens if Marc leaves after this year too?

Lakers Guru
04-25-2011, 10:59 PM
4 years later it was a very good trade for both sides. As a Laker fan I have wished for the last 3 years we traded Bynum and kept Marc Gasol. Maybe not as much upside as Bynum, but Marc is the more consistent player. And maybe Marc could slap Pau out of his current funk he hasn't looked right for most of this season.

Duncan = Donkey
04-25-2011, 10:59 PM
Wow, such a dumb way at looking at things. You can do what you just did for every bad trade and make it look like a good one.

The trade was highway robbery.

still1ballin
04-25-2011, 11:00 PM
Memphis gave the Lakers 3 straight finals appearances and 2 championships. Yeah Memphis got robbed.

Hellcrooner
04-25-2011, 11:05 PM
Wow, such a dumb way at looking at things. You can do what you just did for every bad trade and make it look like a good one.

The trade was highway robbery.

no you cant.
tell me what has done for wolves the Kg trade wich seemed to be more "fair" in fans words all this years.

MrfadeawayJB
04-25-2011, 11:06 PM
At the time of the trade it was a rip off, but seeing what it has become.... i think it evens it up more. And YES we can afford Gasol next season

Sixerlover
04-25-2011, 11:09 PM
Come on Crooner, I know your excited about the great play of the other Gasol, and I'd LOVE him on my squad, but your still comparing

an 8th seed who didn't make the playoffs the last 2 years

to

the two time defending champs, with 3 straight finals appearances, and they were all because of that trade. Yes it was very lopsided.

DerekRE_3
04-25-2011, 11:09 PM

Absolutely beautiful. I love it.

Hawkeye15
04-25-2011, 11:12 PM
um, we can say the Lakers still won it, seeing as Pau has been instrumental to two championships.....

S-Dot
04-25-2011, 11:14 PM
still handed the Lakers two championships. They went from a team that was a consistent first round exit in 06 and 07 to a championship contender. Trade looks better now, but it was still a rip off when it happened.

ChaseHamels
04-25-2011, 11:16 PM
Come on Crooner, I know your excited about the great play of the other Gasol, and I'd LOVE him on my squad, but your still comparing

to

the two time defending champs, with 3 straight finals appearances, and they were all because of that trade. Yes it was very lopsided.

^^^ this. /thread

FarOutIos
04-25-2011, 11:22 PM
no you cant.
tell me what has done for wolves the Kg trade wich seemed to be more "fair" in fans words all this years.

Come one man... the KG trade was much more fair. You are taking a shallow point of view if you simply look at the trade from a wins/losses perspective- as Minnesota has made many other mistakes since the trade, and before the the trade, which have resulted in their history of failure.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the T-Wolves get Al Jefferson and a few picks for KG. Either way... Al Jefferson averaged 17 points and 11 rebounds his first season as a T-Wolve. Marc averaged 12 points and 7 rebounds. Obiously... not as good as Al.

And Al has improved since then... Marc has improved 0 (Zero) since then.

Geargo Wallace
04-25-2011, 11:26 PM

MArc Gasol / CAPSPACE ( mckie and kwame) BECAME RANDOLPH /DARREL ARTHUR and another pick yet to be made.

Yes it was still highway robbery. The Lakers went to 3 straight finals and won 2. What are you trying to prove Crooner? You think Kobe would have been accepting of having to wait a few years for Marc to develop? I don't think so. The Lakers would have got whooped in the first round in 08 if they went without Pau. They would have gotten raped by Dwight in the 09 Finals without Pau. The Grizzlies are going to go nowhere past the 2nd round this year, and all that help Marc is providing ZBo is going to disappear because Marc is likely going elsewhere. Lakers = WINNING (I hate Charlie Sheen)!

... it's funny because Lakers fans try to justify the trade of Kobe for Divacs a million years ago was fair (which it was). Look at how lopsided it looks now :rolleyes:.

tyfreaks brotha
04-25-2011, 11:34 PM

to

C'mon bruh. Without Kobe that wouldn't be possible.

tjlipford
04-25-2011, 11:45 PM
Yes, the trade was great for LA, they have 2 rings to show for it. LA still got over in the deal. Dont get me wrong it was good for Memphis, but LA are the 2 time defending champs and are trying to win it again so yes it was highway robbery.

Sixerlover
04-25-2011, 11:50 PM
C'mon bruh. Without Kobe that wouldn't be possible.

Obviously. But without Gasol that wouldn't have been possible either. The trade helped an average laker team catapult to dominance. While it helped a below average Grizzlies team jump to slightly above average.

Lakers win.

kArSoN RyDaH
04-26-2011, 12:07 AM
It was robbery. Lakers got an all star player. Memphis got a nobody.

Lakers have been to finals 3 straight years and won twice and memphis hasn't won anything.

Nuff said.

kArSoN RyDaH
04-26-2011, 12:09 AM
Yes it was still highway robbery. The Lakers went to 3 straight finals and won 2. What are you trying to prove Crooner? You think Kobe would have been accepting of having to wait a few years for Marc to develop? I don't think so. The Lakers would have got whooped in the first round in 08 if they went without Pau. They would have gotten raped by Dwight in the 09 Finals without Pau. The Grizzlies are going to go nowhere past the 2nd round this year, and all that help Marc is providing ZBo is going to disappear because Marc is likely going elsewhere. Lakers = WINNING (I hate Charlie Sheen)!

... it's funny because Lakers fans try to justify the trade of Kobe for Divacs a million years ago was fair (which it was). Look at how lopsided it looks now :rolleyes:.

Don't ever compare Kobe to. Gasol. They shouldn't even be in the same sentence. Ever.

kblo247
04-26-2011, 12:17 AM
um, we can say the Lakers still won it, seeing as Pau has been instrumental to two championships.....

The trade is still better than the Minny trade for KG which was comparable at the time.

Memphis got everything they wanted.
- Cap space for Zach via Kwame's expiring
- Marc's rights when they had seen him first hand for years
- Arthur via a Laker draft pick
- If I'm not mistaken Vasquez is the other Laker draft pick
- They got cash to pay their luxury tax bill that year
- They won not only their first playoff game in history but will win their first series

Comparing Pau getting two rings is faulty logic because you aren't thinking about levels of progression. The natural progression for the Kobe/Phil Lakers was a title because they had done it before. The natural progression for the Griz were not a title, they were to actually be a competitive playoff team for the first time in their history and win a game and then get out the first round just like KG's Wolves.

That deal is far more balanced than the other trades in recent history when it came to actually helping both teams advance to their individual next level and goals.

The Lakers got the most out of the deal.

The Griz got more back than they could have gotten elsewhere and advanced their team both as a basketball team and business because Pau was not getting the job done for them as their alpha on the court when it mattered or in their checkbook

Slimsim
04-26-2011, 12:33 AM

MAn your post are epic

Crackadalic
04-26-2011, 12:40 AM

The reason why im on this site is because of you. :clap:

Raph12
04-26-2011, 12:42 AM
LA got 2 titles, possibly more from the trade, while the Grizz made the playoffs in 8th four years later... Yeah that's robbery.

kblo247
04-26-2011, 12:45 AM
LA got 2 titles, possibly more from the trade, while the Grizz made the playoffs in 8th four years later... Yeah that's robbery.

Still better than the KG trade and JO trade that same time span, and both of those guys were seen as better players league wide

Geargo Wallace
04-26-2011, 01:22 AM
Don't ever compare Kobe to. Gasol. They shouldn't even be in the same sentence. Ever.

I was comparing the trades lol

Kevj77
04-26-2011, 01:24 AM
It is less lopsided then it was made out to be. Memphis got a couple young players and one developed (Marc Gasol), cap space, and picks. The Lakers were close to contending and just needed the final piece of the puzzle, they already had Kobe, Odom, Bynum, had resigned Fish and traded for Ariza. Before the trade the Lakers were in 1st place in the west if anyone remembers and Bynum was looking like an all-star the month before his knee injury. He was making Kobe look very foolish for his trade Bynum for Kidd rant. All the Lakers were missing was an all-star sidekick for Kobe.

Memphis wasn't going anywhere with Gasol and no cap space they needed to rebuild. They couldn't significantly improve their team without cap space, while being good enough to just make the playoffs and miss out on the lottery. Now they've won their first three playoff games in team history, are on the verge of a very big upset and winning their first playoff series ever.

Take the titles out of it and look at the trade and it still considerably favors the Lakers, but it was not grand theft like some people made it out to be.

hugepatsfan
04-26-2011, 01:29 AM
no you cant.

The KG trade was a pretty good haul for MIN. KG screwed them by declining the deal at first. MIN was supposed to get Big Al (probably the most valuable trading chip in the NBA at the time) AND the #5 pick as the centerpiece. Then they were getting another handful of young, talented players w/ upside (Gerald Green and Telfair still had potential o be very good NBA players). They also got cap space from Theo Ratliff's expiring deal. KG screwed them out of the #5 pick by waiting to accept the deal.

ewing
04-26-2011, 01:45 AM

to

If the Griz didnn't trade Pau was Kobe going to go to Memphis? I never knew

ewing
04-26-2011, 01:46 AM

No and I thought that worst trade ever talk was BS then 2

Lim
04-26-2011, 11:08 AM
no surprise that hellcrooner made this thread, everytime i read a hellcrooner post i shake my head

Tarheels23
04-26-2011, 11:12 AM

Lakers have been to the finals 3 straight years. Yeah I'd say it was a robbery. However, it did help memphis too.

Ripper Gein
04-26-2011, 03:59 PM
It was still a Better trade than what the Celtics gave up for KG......

Sadds The Gr8
04-26-2011, 04:01 PM

LOL wtf? hahahahhahahahahhahaha

RaffyBoy
04-26-2011, 04:20 PM
no you cant.

haha.. it got them 4 lottery picks.. and a lot of cap space!! ;)

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-26-2011, 04:35 PM
Lakers still won it as of now.

king4day
04-26-2011, 04:41 PM
Still a terrible trade. If Randolph didn't have issues in NY and LA, he never goes to Memphis either.
Hindsight says, yes it was a great trade. But at the time of the deal, it was probably the worst trade in NBA history and probably still is considered just that.

king4day
04-26-2011, 04:43 PM
What angered me most about this trade was, they would have traded Pau for Marion if Marion would have agreed to an extension which he would not. If it's only about saving money then that part made no sense.

According to Sports Illustrated's Marty Burns, writing Wednesday on SI.com under the headline "Break up the band?/Chemistry concerns could spur the Suns into action," the Phoenix Suns have "had internal discussions about Utah Jazz forward Andrei Kirilenko, the Los Angeles Lakers' Lamar Odom and the Memphis Grizzlies' Pau Gasol, according to a source."

The source was not identified.

"But," Burns wrote, "the Suns might not want to help the rival Lakers, while the Jazz and Grizzlies would be reluctant to take Shawn Marion without a strong indication that he would re-sign with them."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/post/Suns-talking-trade-for-Kirilenko-Odom-or-Gasol?urn=nba-62275

Hellcrooner
04-26-2011, 04:49 PM
What angered me most about this trade was, they would have traded Pau for Marion if Marion would have agreed to an extension which he would not. If it's only about saving money then that part made no sense.

it makes sense because their PRO scouts who earn their living from evaluating talent KNEW what Marc Gasol was going to be unlike Fans ( or at least non european fans)

rabzouz 96
04-26-2011, 05:12 PM

god that wouldve been terrible for memphis.

i usually never agreee with anything that hellcrooner says, but this time i think hes right, the trade was far better for memphis than it first seemed, especially considering that they wouldve hovered around the 0.5 mark with pau which wouldve netted em worse draft picks thus worse projects.

Sixerlover
04-26-2011, 05:24 PM
If the Griz didnn't trade Pau was Kobe going to go to Memphis? I never knew

HUH? What are you talking about?

rabzouz 96
04-26-2011, 05:34 PM
he prolly meant you cant judge the trade by the lakers finals appearances because they had a roster that looked like doin some damage anyways, while memphis couldve traded gasol for anybody from any team without even getting a chance to make it out of the 1st round.

Rajin
04-26-2011, 05:45 PM
The trade is still better than the Minny trade for KG which was comparable at the time.

Memphis got everything they wanted.
- Cap space for Zach via Kwame's expiring
- Marc's rights when they had seen him first hand for years
- Arthur via a Laker draft pick
- If I'm not mistaken Vasquez is the other Laker draft pick
- They got cash to pay their luxury tax bill that year
- They won not only their first playoff game in history but will win their first series

Comparing Pau getting two rings is faulty logic because you aren't thinking about levels of progression. The natural progression for the Kobe/Phil Lakers was a title because they had done it before. The natural progression for the Griz were not a title, they were to actually be a competitive playoff team for the first time in their history and win a game and then get out the first round just like KG's Wolves.

That deal is far more balanced than the other trades in recent history when it came to actually helping both teams advance to their individual next level and goals.

The Lakers got the most out of the deal.

The Griz got more back than they could have gotten elsewhere and advanced their team both as a basketball team and business because Pau was not getting the job done for them as their alpha on the court when it mattered or in their checkbook

This is wrong.

Oh, I should say more? Okay. The Grizzlies got nothing back. You're using things that happened after the trade to justify the trade itself. Cap space? The only contract they gave up was that of Pau Gasol, the best player in the trade. I mean, sure, LeBron left Cleveland, but think of the cap relief Cleveland got, right? Things ended up working out well for Memphis, THREE YEARS LATER, and they had nothing to do with the trade itself.

D Roses Bulls
04-26-2011, 05:50 PM
This is a Joke thread right? Gasol has helped the lakers win 2 championships. he has been considered a top 2-3 PF and one of the top 10-15 players in the league since he has been traded to the lakers. Lakers still won that trade. I swear, people live in the moment too much. everyone has a bad series at least once in their career, well if youre name is michael jordan I guess thats an exception, but come on now.

Tony_Starks
04-26-2011, 05:59 PM
Lakers got the best of the deal of course but people are really discounting the cap space angle because thats SOLEY what Memphis was in this for. That space got them Z-Bo, allowed them to re-sign Conley and Gay. Not to mention since trading Gasol basically tanked that year for them they ended up getting OJ Mayo in the lottery.

At the end of the day when the long term results of the trade are a young core and excellent frontline (which is incredibly rare these days) its hard for me to say they got robbed. People just hate the Lakers so of course they're gonna be mad they came up but so did the Grizzlies.....

SteveNash
04-26-2011, 10:23 PM
it makes sense because their PRO scouts who earn their living from evaluating talent KNEW what Marc Gasol was going to be unlike Fans ( or at least non european fans)

If scouts knew how great he would be, why didn't they select him before the 48th pick?

Hellcrooner
04-26-2011, 10:27 PM
If scouts knew how great he would be, why didn't they select him before the 48th pick?

because he was not going to report right away.

check ginobili, scola etc.

Sportfan
04-26-2011, 10:27 PM
Lakers won two championships.

End.Of.Story.

SteveNash
04-26-2011, 10:29 PM
because he was not going to report right away.

check ginobili, scola etc.

He was drafted the end of June, traded the beginning of February.

Hellcrooner
04-26-2011, 10:31 PM
He was drafted the end of June, traded the beginning of February.

his RIGHTS were traded.
He in fact remained one year in europe after being drafted, and his initial idea was to remain TWO years , but his spanish team had finantial trouble and had to renounce him.

NYY NYJ NYK
04-26-2011, 10:37 PM
What ???

The Lakers won 2 rings and Memphis won ......

Yeah the Grizzlies were robbed.

SteveNash
04-27-2011, 12:00 AM
his RIGHTS were traded.
He in fact remained one year in europe after being drafted, and his initial idea was to remain TWO years , but his spanish team had finantial trouble and had to renounce him.

Moody Fernandez, stayed over.
Bricky Rubio, stayed over.
Scam Vazquez, stayed over.

All drafted much higher than Marc.