PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Who should be favorite in the East

JordansBulls
04-25-2011, 06:20 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2011/news/story?page=5-on-5-110425-East

5. It's Postseason Day 10: Who should be favored to win the East?

Devin Kharpertian, Nets Are Scorching: Before the postseason began, I said Chicago. If Rose comes back at full strength in the next round, I'll stick with the Bulls. If he's out for an extended period of time, I think Boston is the new favorite. The Celtics have the depth to counter Miami and won't back down from anyone.

John Krolik, Cavs: The Blog: I would go with the Heat. The Celtics look wafer-thin without Shaq healthy, the Bulls haven't been getting much out of their supporting cast and the Heat's three best players are better than anybody else's three best players. I think the East is still pretty much wide open, but I give the Heat a slight edge at the moment.

Bret LaGree, Hoopinion: The Bulls look likely to win their first-round series and, if so, will play the winner of the Hawks-Magic series. I think the latter fact marks them as the favorite to come out of the East.

Beckley Mason, HoopSpeak: Miami is still my favorite. The Heat have the most reliable scoring options, and Spoelstra will sort out the rotations to eliminate their weakest lineups. If Udonis Haslem comes back and gives them anything at all, I think the flaws of the Celtics (depth and age) and Bulls (overreliance on Rose) are more damning.

Sebastian Pruiti, NBA Playbook: I am going with Chicago. The Bulls have a shutdown defense, a go-to guy in Derrick Rose and a guy who can knock down open shots in Kyle Korver. If the Bulls can continue to play like they have been in Round 1, I don't think anyone in the East will beat them.

haggis
04-25-2011, 06:24 PM
Has Sebastian Pruiti watched the playoffs this year?

If the Bulls can continue to play like they have been in Round 1, I don't think anyone in the East will beat them.

lolwut?

we've played like ****.

Schmiggy
04-25-2011, 06:26 PM
Has Sebastian Pruiti watched the playoffs this year?

lolwut?

we've played like ****.

Maybe he means "gritty, against all odds wins"? Because about the only thing positive they have done in the first round.

h2r09
04-25-2011, 06:26 PM
can we stop with the favorite crap and who is better and blah blah blah? its the same stories regurgatated over and over again. just watch the games and enjoy and most likeyl all those questions will be answered. this is just going to start the same arguments over and over again and im willing to bet this turns into buls fans defending why rose should be mvp and most other fans talking **** about miami and then the rogue fans sayign they still believe in boston.

just stop the constant talk and let it play out.

Bullsfan22
04-25-2011, 06:27 PM
Celtics until proven other wise

Schmiggy
04-25-2011, 06:28 PM
can we stop with the favorite crap and who is better and blah blah blah? its the same stories regurgatated over and over again. just watch the games and enjoy and most likeyl all those questions will be answered. this is just going to start the same arguments over and over again and im willing to bet this turns into buls fans defending why rose should be mvp and most other fans talking **** about miami and then the rogue fans sayign they still believe in boston.

just stop the constant talk and let it play out.

Right, heaven forbid people have a discussion on discussion forums. CRAZY TALK! Probably best to stay off the boards if you don't like discussions about current topics.

h2r09
04-25-2011, 06:30 PM
Right, heaven forbid people have a discussion on discussion forums. CRAZY TALK! Probably best to stay off the boards if you don't like discussions about current topics.

how is the same topic that has been going on for the last 8 months current talk? it is the same discussion that about 3 threads a day include and always ends up closed between bulls fans and heat fans. how is this any different than any other topic?

just watch, it will end in tthe same way. im not saying you dont have a right to discuss it. go ahead. its just that it will end the same way it has ben for the last 8 months.

MalZee24
04-25-2011, 06:39 PM
Heat or Celtics.

Jonathan2323
04-25-2011, 06:42 PM
Right now its looking like:

1)Celtics/HEAT
3)Bulls
4)Hawks

Mishmin
04-25-2011, 06:43 PM
Celtics baby.

KnicksR4Real
04-25-2011, 06:46 PM
Boston or Miami

IndiansFan337
04-25-2011, 06:49 PM
The Miami Heat.

Khalifa21
04-25-2011, 06:53 PM
Miami

giants73756
04-25-2011, 06:59 PM
If Rose is healthy, you have to go with the Bulls. Their second round series will be significantly easier than the Celtics/Heat, who have to play each other.

Since there are 3 elite teams in the East, that 1 seed was huge. It means the Bulls will only have to beat one great team to get to the finals. The Celtics and Heat need to go through two great teams to win the conference.

But if somehow the Heat blow the opening series, the Celtics may have the best chance to reach the finals. Beating a 7 seed and 1 seed might be easier than beating a 4 seed and 2 seed.

The Bulls are the class of the conference and were the hottest team going into the playoffs. Their loss on the road against the Pacers just ended a 12 game win streak.

It all depends on the health of Derrick Rose.

Raph12
04-25-2011, 07:00 PM
Celts are favs in East until dethroned...

Piercefan34
04-25-2011, 07:13 PM
gut feeling says heat just because of how scary they could be cant argue lebron wade bosh. but bosotn has to be considering they won the east last year and swept the knicks

giants73756
04-25-2011, 07:14 PM

Care to explain why? I don't see how people can consider the Celtics the better team. (Don't worry I'm not a homer, I barely care about basketball. But I do like the Bulls.)The Bulls had a much better record and are a much hotter team at the moment. Is it just because the Celtics won the conference last year? How much better does a team have to be than the reigning champ in order for them to be considered the favorite?

If the Giants and Phillies met up in the NLCS again this year, who would be the favorite?

h2r09
04-25-2011, 07:15 PM
gut feeling says heat just because of how scary they could be cant argue lebron wade bosh. but bosotn has to be considering they won the east last year and swept the knicks

these things change on a day to day basis. 3 days ago id say the celtics are done but now you never know if they turned it on or the knicks are just that awful.

any argument could be made for the celtics or heat and possibly even the bulls but they wont be going far if rose is their best player and he is consistently shooting awfully.

giants73756
04-25-2011, 07:17 PM
I know some people think the Celtics are better than the Bulls right now, but the best team doesn't mean favorite to win it all. Playing the Heat and Bulls is a significantly harder schedule than facing the Magic/Hawks and the Celtics/Heat.

gotoHcarolina52
04-25-2011, 07:34 PM
Too soon to tell. Baring injury, the winner of the Miami-Boston series will be the favorite.

PurpleJesus28
04-25-2011, 07:39 PM
I'd still go with the Celtics as of right now. Reining champs, looking like they've hit their post-season stride, and really the only team in the East that has taken care of business like they've supposed to. a win is a win sure, but neither the Heat nor the Bulls have looked spectacular in the ones they've gotten (with the exception of the one Heat blow-out) and i think that has to factor in somehwere. not counting out any teams though, specially not my Bulls :). conference finals are really gonna be something though, already enjoyed these play-offs immensely.

giants73756
04-25-2011, 07:42 PM
Too soon to tell. Baring injury, the winner of the Miami-Boston series will be the favorite.

This is what nobody understands. Let's say EVEN IF the winner of Boston/Miami was 52% to beat Chicago, they are still only about 50% to win the second round. The Bulls have an easier second round, let's say they are about 65% to win the second round. (I'm sure they're a bigger favorites but I'm just being tentative.)

65% x 48% = 31% chance for Chicago to reach the finals
50% x 52% = 26% chance for Miami/Boston to reach

None of you are taking into account that the Bulls have an easier schedule up to the conference championship.

evadatam5150
04-25-2011, 07:46 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2011/news/story?page=5-on-5-110425-East

Really not one of these knobs picked Boston as their favorite.. ??? One dude even went as far as to say my NEW favorite would be Boston if Rose isn't back in the next round.. :speechless:

Since when wasn't Boston the solid favorite...?? Boston has a better core of players, experience, and depth. Dudes have been to the finals 2 of the last 3 years and until another team knocks em off the hill they're still the favorites... End of discussion really..

evadatam5150
04-25-2011, 07:51 PM
Care to explain why? I don't see how people can consider the Celtics the better team. (Don't worry I'm not a homer, I barely care about basketball. But I do like the Bulls.)The Bulls had a much better record and are a much hotter team at the moment. Is it just because the Celtics won the conference last year? How much better does a team have to be than the reigning champ in order for them to be considered the favorite?

If the Giants and Phillies met up in the NLCS again this year, who would be the favorite?

At the moment the Celtics swept their 1st round opponent, can the Bull's say the same..?? At the moment.. :D

koreancabbage
04-25-2011, 08:14 PM
This is what nobody understands. Let's say EVEN IF the winner of Boston/Miami was 52% to beat Chicago, they are still only about 50% to win the second round. The Bulls have an easier second round, let's say they are about 65% to win the second round. (I'm sure they're a bigger favorites but I'm just being tentative.)

65% x 48% = 31% chance for Chicago to reach the finals
50% x 52% = 26% chance for Miami/Boston to reach

None of you are taking into account that the Bulls have an easier schedule up to the conference championship.

not the way they are playing. Indiana is showing how weak the Bulls are and are exposing them until rose bails them out at the end of the game. I'm sure Atlanta/Magic would give Chicago fits as well. you're view of them as the number 1 seed is overrating them in the playoffs.

m26555
04-25-2011, 08:27 PM
The fact that not one of them said Boston is comical.

WHODAT8o8
04-25-2011, 08:31 PM

the celtics swept the knicks while the bulls are struggling with the 8 seeded pacers. How the hell are the hotter at the moment?

Baller1
04-25-2011, 08:58 PM
Really? Not one of them picked Boston? How do some of these people get jobs as "experts"?

Raph12
04-25-2011, 09:34 PM

Really? You think going 3-1 against the Pacers (where many calls were debatable down the stretch of each game) is hotter than destroying the Knicks, a team that beat the Bulls in 2 of 3 games they played against your team (the loss coming without Stat in the lineup)?

The Celts are the team to beat unless they are eliminated, they won the East with the 4th seed last season so I don't see how the record has any impact on their playoffs performances...

Master Mind
04-25-2011, 09:59 PM

Have to agree on this one...

Hustlenomics
04-25-2011, 10:04 PM
Celtics are the defending eastern conference champs and didn't get ONE vote :(

evadatam5150
04-25-2011, 10:09 PM

I'm a Laker fan and I was surprised by the lack of respect..

Nikeman
04-25-2011, 10:15 PM
celts are favs in east until dethroned...

exactly!

DaBear
04-25-2011, 10:22 PM
I hope the Celtics or Heat are favored. I prefer my Bulls as an underdog.

bcc
04-25-2011, 10:22 PM
Hottest team going into the playoffs means nothing. Last season, the Celtics lost 9 their last 13 and the Lakers 6 of their last 8 and they met in The Finals. Those two teams might be exceptions cuz they're veteran teams that you can trust to "turn the switch" when the playoffs start but still, I'd much rather be healthy and rested as possible than to close out the season with 6 or 7 straight wins.

DROSE4MVP
04-25-2011, 11:35 PM
I would say the Celtics right now, but whoever the winner of that series, the Heat-Celtics series, has to be the favorite right now just based on the way the Bulls are playing. The Bulls have definitely been a little exposed in this series, and it's scary to think that we could actually be down 3-1 in this series right now. The Hawks/Magic will give the Bulls (considering we even survive this series) a tough time.

So until the Bulls get their **** together and Boozer mans the **** up, the Celtics or Heat are the favorites in the East right now.

tjlipford
04-25-2011, 11:48 PM

I have been listening to the radio and watching ESPN and all these other sports shows and Boston didnt get ****. I think Boston is coming out the East. And if LA does not come out the West then I have to pick Boston to win it all. I dont see what people dont see in Boston when they prove it year after year when they are healthy.

ackar
04-25-2011, 11:58 PM
Exactly until someone beats them same goes for the LAL love it or hate that is how it is until that happens.

GThawks
04-26-2011, 12:01 AM
I'd say Heat/Celtics but I hope the Hawks can suprise some people.

marlinsfan24
04-26-2011, 12:15 AM
The Celtics are until they are dethroned.