PDA

View Full Version : Scottie Pippen calls out Boozer's lack of toughness

spreadeagle
04-25-2011, 02:38 PM
On the surface, the Chicago Bulls are about to get out of the first round when they win Tuesday against Indiana. And they will point to their star Derrick Rose averaging 28.3 points per game despite all the defensive attention.

But the eight-seed Pacers have exposed some questions about the Bulls. Specifically, just how tough are the Bulls. Because the Pacers are being physical with Derrick Rose and who is stepping up to be a physical enforcer for the Bulls?

Chicago legend Scottie Pippen called out Carlos Boozer in the Chicago Sun Times for not being that man.

Theyve all got two legs and two arms, the six-time NBA champion said. Youve got Carlos Boozer out there whos spending fouls and a lot of his fouls are not needed at the time that hes giving them. Those could be hard fouls. Those could be fouls that you knock a [Darren] Collison to the floor, you knock a [Jeff] Foster to the floor.

Utilize your fouls and make them more valuable for you and your team.

Its all about timing. There are times that a message foul can work. And the Pacers have nothing to lose doing that. Pippen is right that some of Boozers fouls could be better timed. For sure. But retaliation is not the answer. Not in the playoffs. Pick your spots and this isnt it.

But the Bulls have to know that things are only going to get more physical going forward Boston or Miami will just beat on them and they have got to be ready to answer. http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/25/scottie-pippen-calls-out-carlos-boozer-for-lack-of-toughness/

justinnum1
04-25-2011, 02:41 PM
How has boozer done in past playoffs? It just looks like he is afraid to go near the rim, always settling for jumpers. Bosh has started doing the same **** the last 2 games. Bulls could really use 15pts a game from boozer.

Tha Truth
04-25-2011, 02:41 PM
Spoken like a true champion.

spreadeagle
04-25-2011, 02:43 PM
Isnt Noah kind of a tough guy? and thats what Fosters main purpose is,to annoy ppl and lay down some hard fouls..Boozer is a 20 10 guy I wouldnt complain

ChitownSports16
He's right!!!!!!!

The Jokemaker
Enough from you has-been!

northsider
04-25-2011, 02:45 PM
How has boozer done in past playoffs? It just looks like he is afraid to go near the rim, always settling for jumpers. Bosh has started doing the same **** the last 2 games. Bulls could really use 15pts a game from boozer.

I agree sometimes Boozer is way to soft with his play and acts as if he isn't a ****ing beast sized man. He needs to start going up hard and putting it in the bucket. This may seem dumb but, rarely is Boozer strong enough to finish on an and 1 when another player touches him it is almost as if he was concentrated on contact.

I like Boozer but, for how ****ing big the guy is he disappoints the **** out of me in his lack of toughness. He should be able to take guys up with him to the rack and finish but, he barely jumps and finishes he will just try to go up with a soft put back and end up missing.

D1JM
04-25-2011, 02:47 PM
boozer always gets stupid fouls on offense. he either gets a charge or he pushes someone from behind.

jp611
04-25-2011, 02:48 PM
Before this playoffs, Boozer averaged like 24-12, he has been awful so far, and I hope he gets back to his averages of 24-12, that would be HUGE for the Bulls

haggis
04-25-2011, 02:49 PM
he can't jump.

i think his ankle is still bothering him pretty badly. he's coming up short on everything near the hoop.

and this:

Before this playoffs, Boozer averaged like 24-12, he has been awful so far, and I hope he gets back to his averages of 24-12, that would be HUGE for the Bulls

ecorrea
04-25-2011, 03:01 PM
pippen is spot on. boozer has been pathetic thus far. he picks up at least 1 or 2 dumb fouls by the end of the first quarter (either a charge, a push off when he goes to the hoop, or just not being able to play D). he screams the whole game but loses credibility as he screams whether its blatantly his fault or not. his D is getting marginally better, but sucked to begin with. indiana is showing him being undersized with their length around the rim. he has been overall soft like pipp said. his fire disappears when he isnt scoring. hes made some pretty bad turnovers...

i hope he proves me wrong. but right now hes lookin like all yell and no play.

MrfadeawayJB
04-25-2011, 03:02 PM
Boozer is a loser...he is a pau gasol clone, always yelling and ***** cause he cant finish strong

jp611
04-25-2011, 03:06 PM
He can be a Pau Gasol clone if he brings us a couple rings

Bruno
04-25-2011, 03:08 PM
I can't help but be a fan of Pippens commentary.

Cubsfan365
04-25-2011, 03:08 PM
he can't jump.

i think his ankle is still bothering him pretty badly. he's coming up short on everything near the hoop.

and this:
Noah is finally starting to look good after his injury. But it's crazy that now we will have 3 starters (Rose, Boozer, Noah) probably fighting off ankle injuries.

Raph12
04-25-2011, 03:12 PM
Pippen needs to relax... Although he's not wrong.

MrfadeawayJB
04-25-2011, 03:14 PM
He can be a Pau Gasol clone if he brings us a couple rings

lol yeah....too bad D-Rose isnt Kobe...yet

Chi StateOfMind
04-25-2011, 03:17 PM

This, It seems when he makes a mistake, there goes a stupid foul. And that is what Scottie is saying. IMO if this guy can't manhandle Tyler Hansborough then how will he manhandle KG,Bosh,Horford,Josh Smith or Bass. The road is only going to get tougher and I think most fans would like to see Booz come out and just destroy these dudes.He is a very talented player and I remember when he was dropping like 30-15 and I haven't seen that in a while. Good call out by Scottie and I hope Booz doesn't take it to heart and turns it into aggression and positive energy.

Sox72
04-25-2011, 03:20 PM
I've been unimpressed with him, to say the least.

Hawkeye15
totally agree. Boozer isn't even outplaying Crazy T and Foster. That can't happen going forward into the next rounds. Or the Bulls are dead

llemon
So Pippen, the player who refused to get on the court in the last seconds of a playoff elimination game because the coach called a play for another teammate to take the last shot, dares to mention someone else's performance in the playoffs?

uptownfan
Even if Pippen is right, I don't think he should be telling this to the media. Boozer annoyed me Game 1 when he let Hansbrough lineup for 15 foot uncontested jumpers. I do agree that Boozer should try to be more of an enforcer on the defensive end, but come on Pip, tell him that yourself as constructive criticism

redwhitenblue
04-25-2011, 03:27 PM
Outside of his horrible first game-notably defensively, I've been okay with his other 3 games. Obviously I want some more scoring from him, but his D has been a LOT better the last 3 games and people just shrug that off and act like he's always bad defensively.

BTW, I heard his actual on-air quotes, it really wasn't questioning Boozer's toughness. It was questioning the use of his fouls (even though the announcers have made note that the refs have been attacking Boozer and Taj all series with ridiculous fouls). Pippen questioned the entire team on not retaliating, not specifically noting Boozer.

phi2134
04-25-2011, 03:31 PM
Enough from you has-been!

Who better to speak the truth than a six time champion, hall of famer and one of the top 50 players ever.

northsider
04-25-2011, 03:35 PM
To me the one thing that will continue to stand out is I didn't know how soft around the rim he was at times. I want to see a guy his size be able to finish with some authority and wether it is some injury nagging him it seems like he has no standing vertical or jump to go up hard.

ManOnFire
04-25-2011, 03:46 PM
Pippen's been doing alot of talking all year it seems, but this time it was finally justified. Boozer's a scrub. He chases money, puts up good stats in the year and completely dissapears in the playoffs. Not sure why teams think he's worth the money they pay him, given his track record. I'd much rather have Luis Scola.

MJ-BULLS
04-25-2011, 03:48 PM
Pip is stating the truth, Boozer has not been playing to his full potential in the playoffs like he has done in the past. with that said, he has been called for some ticky tack fouls on the offensive side of the game. He really hasn't been utilized well, like he should be also.

I agree with him and the hard fouls too.

Master Mind
Is it me or is Pippen talking a bit much

PrestigeWldWde
boozer always gets stupid fouls on offense. he either gets a charge or he pushes someone from behind.

I agree, but nowhere in the article does Pippen question Boozer's lack of toughness, just him wasting stupid fouls. He's saying the fouls should be better utilized than little slap fouls early in the game.

redwhitenblue
04-25-2011, 03:49 PM
Pippen's been doing alot of talking all year it seems, but this time it was finally justified. Boozer's a scrub. He chases money, puts up good stats in the year and completely dissapears in the playoffs. Not sure why teams think he's worth the money they pay him, given his track record. I'd much rather have Luis Scola.
He puts up better stats in the playoffs, so how does he disappear in the playoffs?

You can have Luis Scola, I'll still take Boozer.

MJ-BULLS
04-25-2011, 03:52 PM

I don't think he is talking too much, he's just making some statements on why the Bulls haven't played to their fullest in these playoffs. Note: that he is broadcasting the games for csn Chicago.

allSUAVE
04-25-2011, 03:57 PM

Tarheels23
04-25-2011, 03:58 PM
Boozer has never been effective in the playoffs. He is too short to play PF, and the taller and bigger guys abuse him. Scottie is abslutely right, but he should just look at Boozers track record in the playoffs with Utah.

D1JM
04-25-2011, 03:59 PM

It's you

redwhitenblue
04-25-2011, 04:00 PM
Boozer don't play soft...I think his level of talent is showing now that he don't play with Deron Williams

By level of talent, you mean posting numbers this year pretty much directly in line with his career numbers?

Some other people just ignoring his previous actual numbers.

Gotta love the criticism against Boozer, Rose and the Bulls in general when they're up 3-1 in the first round. Can we at least wait until they get eliminated before evaluating their playoff run?

SteBO
04-25-2011, 04:03 PM
I've questioned Boozers' mentality and toughness a lot on this site, a lot of it stemming from his playing days in Utah, playing with a pass first PG in Deron Williams. No knock against Rose, for he's really improved his passing and will only get better with offseason work, but he isn't the passer D-Will is imo. Besides, Pippen has seen it all, so I take anything he says in regards to the game of basketball seriously. But also remember that Pippen use to be a lot like Boozer. I'm referring to a couple of instances where Pippen developed migraine symptoms a couple of times surrounding nationally televised matchups against the Detroit "bad boys" Pistons. His mental toughness was questioned a lot then too, and he eventually came out of it and overcame. So if there's anyone that understands Boozer's mentality at times, it's him.

D1JM
04-25-2011, 04:04 PM
Boozer has never been effective in the playoffs. He is too short to play PF, and the taller and bigger guys abuse him. Scottie is abslutely right, but he should just look at Boozers track record in the playoffs with Utah.

His 20 points 12.5 rebound average in playoffs is bad?

ManOnFire
04-25-2011, 04:06 PM
He puts up better stats in the playoffs, so how does he disappear in the playoffs?

You can have Luis Scola, I'll still take Boozer.

His points have been generally the same in the playoffs as theyve been in the season in recent years, but his rebound numbers have been good. I'll give him that, but the Bulls need this guy to score and actually stay on the floor. He dissapears in that sense. Cant stay on the floor, makes stupid fouls like pushing a player in the back when the dunk is already half way down. He made the same mental errors in Utah. He was useless last year against Gasol. Its only been several games, so hopefullly he can step it up and do more than an occasional 3 point play and annoying head wagging.

Tarheels23
04-25-2011, 04:06 PM
His 20 points 12.5 rebound average in playoffs is bad?

No, him getting absolutely abused on the defensive end by bigger PFs is bad.

But I guess thats why he went to Duke.... marshmallow soft!!!!!

MJ-BULLS
04-25-2011, 04:08 PM
I dont know how you can say Boozer "hasn't" been affective in his career in the playoffs.

Per 36 min: 19 pts 11.1 TRB

18.2 TRB% .533 TS%

SoxBearsBulls!
04-25-2011, 04:11 PM

Uh, like hes an analyst, hes paid to talk, thats like complaining Sir Charles and Kenny Smith talk too much...ITS THEIR JOB!!:facepalm:

Master Mind
04-25-2011, 04:13 PM
Uh, like hes an analyst, hes paid to talk, thats like complaining Sir Charles and Kenny Smith talk too much...ITS THEIR JOB!!:facepalm:

Pull your skirt down pal, I didn't know he was an analyst...

redwhitenblue
04-25-2011, 04:14 PM

After his poor defensive game 1, he's actually played pretty good D in this series.

Master Mind
04-25-2011, 04:15 PM
I don't think he is talking too much, he's just making some statements on why the Bulls haven't played to their fullest in these playoffs. Note: that he is broadcasting the games for csn Chicago.

Thanks, I know now.

ManOnFire
04-25-2011, 04:16 PM

I dont think many people outside of bulls fans knew he was commentating bulls games....i remember seeing him in the front row at games throughout the season...and wasnt until recently that i saw him actually commentating.

SoxBearsBulls!
You dont know a lot of things:burn:

Tarheels23
^^^ Agreed, but Tyler Hansborough isnt exactly the most challenging player to defend (even though he is a tar heel)

D1JM
04-25-2011, 04:18 PM

First game he played awful. The next three he did good on the defensive end. What pipp is trying to tell boozer is make sure the pacers think twice next time they drive for a layup.

Tarheels23
04-25-2011, 04:25 PM
First game he played awful. The next three he did good on the defensive end. What pipp is trying to tell boozer is make sure the pacers think twice next time they drive for a layup.

I know, but what Im saying is that he is undersized to do so. I mean the Pacers SG and SF are both pretty much the same size as Boozer. Their PF is the same size and their C is a monster. Why would they be intimidated to take it in the lane on him?

jp611
04-25-2011, 05:09 PM

And you got this information from where??? I didnt know that averaging 24 points and 12 rebounds a game in the playoffs before this series started was ineffective

cubswin25
04-25-2011, 05:09 PM
Boozer has not played well in this series on the offensive end. Sure he's still averaging 12 PPG and rebounding 11.5. So he's still a valuable player to have out there. But he is only shooting 38 percent right now. So averaging 12 PPG isn't really that valuable when you are getting 12 shots per game. Boozer has missed a lot of easy shots right at the basket, so that has hurt his shooting percentage and scoring a lot. He needs to make those easy shots and if he does he's probably averaging around 15 PPG and shooting around 50 percent. But for the Bulls offense to be better, then need more out of Boozer. If that's going to happen they need to do more of these three things

1.Back in December and January, the team was getting Boozer a lot more involved in the offense. Which included some pick and roll plays, which Boozer has been very successful doing with the Jazz.

2.Boozer post position, the defenders are beating Boozer down the court and not allowing Boozer to post up deep. The way to fix that, is for Boozer to throw the ball back out and repost. The problem is the Bulls have struggled getting the ball back into Boozer consistently.

3. Boozer is also playing with less confidence and going up more tentative. He's not going up as strong and throwing the ball up softer. But that could because he's taking tough shots and not getting as many consistent shots.

IMO Boozer is a weapon the Bulls haven't used to it's full potential for a while now. They need to make him a bigger part of the offense. The last three months he's been more of the 3rd or in some games 4th option offensivly. Boozer too good of a player to keep wasting him like they have. They need to put him in a position to be successful for him and the sake of the team. Sure they will probably get by the Pacers with little from Boozer and probably the Hawks or Magic. But if the Bulls are going to beat the Celtics or Heat and whoever they would face in the finals. Well they need Boozer to play better, and need to use him more. Right now would be the perfect time to get him more involved in the offense with Rose less then 100 percent. Kyle Korver said they were mixing in some new plays today, so hopefully those plays are for Boozer.

SteBO
04-25-2011, 05:14 PM
And you got this information from where??? I didnt know that averaging 24 points and 12 rebounds a game in the playoffs before this series started was ineffective
He isn't telling the whole story. I've never been big on Boozer, but his production historically has increased from regular season to playoffs. The issue with him is, against better teams, he seems to check out mentally, and he's done that for years. It could change this year, but I have to see it.

cubswin25
04-25-2011, 05:20 PM

:facepalm:

You should probably look at the facts, before you say that nonsense. Boozer has played very well 3 of 4 years in the playoffs with the Jazz.

in 07 he averaged 23.5 PPG and shot 54 percent from the field. in 09 he shot 53 percent from the field averaging 20.6 PPG. Then last season he shot 53 percent and averaged 19.7 PPG. The only season he didn't really perform well was in 08 when he shot 42 percent averaging only 16 PPG. Boozer is 6-8 probably even though he's listed at 6-9. He's got a big strong body and nowhere to small to play PF in the NBA. Other wise he wouldn't have been an allstar PF in the NBA in the past. So Boozer has played big players before, so it has nothing to do with all that. It's just a combo of Boozer not playing great with the Bulls not putting him in a position to be successful. Plus even when Boozer as struggled at defensivly he's been a great rebounder in the playoffs and that's continuing this post season.

championships
04-25-2011, 05:25 PM
This is no surprise to me. Probably not to Utah fans either.

cubswin25
04-25-2011, 05:25 PM
I know, but what Im saying is that he is undersized to do so. I mean the Pacers SG and SF are both pretty much the same size as Boozer. Their PF is the same size and their C is a monster. Why would they be intimidated to take it in the lane on him?

It's not always about height in the NBA it's also about strength. Is Dwight Howard the tallest C in the NBA? No, but he's the strongest by far. Heck Charles Barkley was the MVP of the league playing PF at 6-4 and half. Boozer is very strong and has quality low post moves and can hit mid range jump shots consistently. The problem right now is he's not getting the ball close enough to the basket and taking a lot tougher shots. Along with probably too many of those mid range jump shots. He's also getting less shots, then he was in the past. So lets not sell Boozer short here, he's been a good player in his career, and even was a pretty good player this season the first part of the year. In fact ALOT of Bulls fans were pretty upset when he didn't make the allstar team. He was playing that well early and now Boozer is getting bashed more then any Bulls player in Chicago and he has been for a few months now. Part of that is Boozer fault, but part of that is the players and coaches fault for not putting him in the same position to be successful.

pd1dish
04-25-2011, 05:34 PM
lol, good. boozer has been playing like dog ****

cubswin25
04-25-2011, 05:40 PM
I think Pippen has only said this to motivate him. This was a tweet from Boozer today

If You Want Change In Your Life... Can't Wait For Someone Else To Help You... Change It Yourself..... #determination

TopsyTurvy
04-25-2011, 05:47 PM
The killer for Boozer's game in the post season has nothing to do with his foul woes. He's been prone to committing 'ticky tack' fouls throughout his career. The most shocking thing is how ineffective he has been at obtaining prime real estate in the post and the Bulls inability to get him the ball safely -- most of their turnovers are on poor inlet/interior passing.

For example, in their last game local coverage spent an instant replay across a timeout displaying how Luol Deng missed a pass down into the post with Boozer underneath the basket - a bounce pass would have led to 'free cheese' as Stacy King likes to call it.

smith&wesson
04-25-2011, 05:54 PM

:eyebrow: the last two games ? bosh took it to the rim hard in his first three seasons of his career. he has settle for jumpers every since. up till when he got traded to miami his go to move was jab step jab step jab step, ( repeat that 10x) head fake, contested jumper. its only when he got to miami that he tried to not settle for jumpers because lebron and wade would straight up give it to him if he did. only he has referred back to that now that he is in the play offs where the game gets more physical.

boozers toughness >> bosh's for sure.

but ya the article is right. whos protecting D rose ? why arent noah and boozer stepping up ?

JordansBulls
04-25-2011, 06:10 PM
Pippen is right especially with these dumb fouls that Boozer makes.

KnicksR4Real
04-25-2011, 06:17 PM
True

h2r09
04-25-2011, 06:33 PM
boozrer has never been a "tough guy". he is just a solid scoring pf and a good rebounder but also a bad defender. he isnt elite and if you thought so then you havent watched him for most of his career.

1-800-STFU
04-25-2011, 10:02 PM
Boozer doesn't have to be "tough"

He just has to ****ing score in the post. Something he hasn't done this entire series. The Bulls NEED that 2nd option. Forget his defense, our team defense is fine, the Bulls just NEED HIS SCORING. If Boozer cant score on the bum big men the Pacers(and they are bums, none of them are very quality) have I have a hard time believing they'll get past ORL/ATL.

Sadly :(

finalverse
04-25-2011, 10:37 PM
I don't have a problem with his toughness. We don't need him to lay the wood. The problem is that he has been playing stupid. Not boxing out, not holding onto the ball etc.

cubswin25
04-25-2011, 11:13 PM
Boozer doesn't have to be "tough"

He just has to ****ing score in the post. Something he hasn't done this entire series. The Bulls NEED that 2nd option. Forget his defense, our team defense is fine, the Bulls just NEED HIS SCORING. If Boozer cant score on the bum big men the Pacers(and they are bums, none of them are very quality) have I have a hard time believing they'll get past ORL/ATL.

Sadly :(

I wouldn't go that far at all. Boozer put up allstar numbers in the first half scoring 19.3 PPG, with 9.9 rebounds and shooting 54 percent. There is gonna come a point in the playoffs when the Bulls will need that Boozer to show up. But it won't be aganist the Magic or Hawks. Remember the Bulls started the year 9-6 without Boozer even though they had a tough schedule with road games vs Thunder, Lakers, Spurs, Mavs, Celtics and Nuggets during that stretch. Yes once Boozer got healthy and played well this team started playing really good basketball. But lets not forget that Boozer missed 7 of the final 30 games in the second half. Boozer also struggled in the second half, averaging 14.8 PPG, with 9 rebounds and shooting only 45 percent. Well even with Boozer not playing well or missing games. The Bulls still went 24-6 in those games. So when I see this team going 33-12 with either no Boozer early in the year and struggling Boozer who missed 7 of the final 30 games. Well I feel they could get past teams like the Magic or the Hawks with this Boozer playing the way he is or really Taj or Kurt Thomas starting. Because this team is still good with Rose, Deng, Noah, the SG platoon and the defense. Plus it's not like Taj or Kurt Thomas have played bad filling in for Boozer or even struggling Boozer is terrible either. That said the Bulls will need the good Boozer if they are gonna get past the Heat/Celtics or Lakers/Thunder IMO. But for Boozer to perform well it's not just on him. They need to run more plays for him and get him in a better position to be successful. They haven't done that much since about early February.