PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys think the Knicks need a new coach?

JAHRONMON
04-25-2011, 02:37 PM
my personal opinion is yes,
the last two games of the series the Knicks were absolutely horrible and that was in their house, they got embarrassed in the Garden.

First of all they would have a better chance of winning game one if they gave the ball to Amare because he was ripping KG apart that game, but D'Antoni decided to stick with Melo, but i guess he has a case Melo is clutch and its important for a team to have a guy to go to every time in the clutch, much like to lakers with Kobe, no way they run a play for Gasol with the game on the line.

Second of all in game two Roger Mason was on the floor with the game on the line, why? he hardly played prior to the playoffs what makes you think he can play against the Celtics in a close game? you should have put Fields in not for his shooting because he was struggling but because of his rebounding which they needed.

finally, game 3 a 4 were embarrassing. absolutely no energy and no defense at all. I know Billups was out and Amare awas like 60% maybe not even that. But in game two Billups was out and Amare was also, and they almost won so you could make a case that playing on the road gave the knicks an extra push, but MSG is the mecca so wouldnt you get a push from that? also a case is Amare's return hurt the Knicks because he wasnt 100% and he forced some shots, but Amare is an all star and that never hurts much like Brandon Roy and the Blazers?

so ultimately i think they need a new coach....Marc Jackson anybody?

Sergio1984
04-25-2011, 02:40 PM
They need a better team more than they need a new coach but they def need a change. They showed us that you can't win on offense alone because a great defense will beat you every time.

X12Celtics3
04-25-2011, 02:40 PM
Yeah, if they ever want to win anything. However, as a Celtics fan I hope he stays in New York so we don't have to worry about them beating us.

Tha Truth
04-25-2011, 02:43 PM
They need a coach that stresses defence because that is their weakness.

Just like my team :facepalm:

justinnum1
04-25-2011, 02:44 PM
Depends, if the want to win a ring, yes. If they want to get to the playoffs, then they are fine.

JAHRONMON
04-25-2011, 02:44 PM
They need a better team more than they need a new coach but they def need a change. They showed us that you can't win on offense alone because a great defense will beat you every time.

good point but i still question his coaching i mean he likes to go small so if they got a Marc Gasol or whatever would he even play down the strech i mean im sure D'Antoni will force Walsh to re-sign Shawne Williams so he would play 4 Amare at 5 and Melo at 3, D'Antoni like small lineups so even if they got a better center and bench he would still gamble and roll the dice and probably get embarrassed like they did games 3 and 4.

MrfadeawayJB
04-25-2011, 02:58 PM
Yes....people forget how good of a squad D'antoni had in PHX for years, and they never made it too the Finals.....the knicks need to be based on physical defense like the knicks of old if they want a title

Hellcrooner
04-25-2011, 02:58 PM
yes

MrfadeawayJB
04-25-2011, 03:00 PM
good point but i still question his coaching i mean he likes to go small so if they got a Marc Gasol or whatever would he even play down the strech i mean im sure D'Antoni will force Walsh to re-sign Shawne Williams so he would play 4 Amare at 5 and Melo at 3, D'Antoni like small lineups so even if they got a better center and bench he would still gamble and roll the dice and probably get embarrassed like they did games 3 and 4.

why do knicks fans think they can get marc gasol....even if they did they are still not at champ level....they need defensive superstars, not Gasol who is an average defender/slightly above average rebounder

ttam68
04-25-2011, 03:00 PM
- Flashy overrated, overpaid, offense-only player #1: Carmelo
- Flashy overrated, overpaid, offense-only player #2: Stoudemire
- Flashy overrated, overpaid, offense-only coach: D'Antoni

Nope, it seems he's the perfect coach for the team.

Jays Claw
04-25-2011, 03:02 PM
They need a new coach as well as a deeper bench. This team isn't going anywhere with two legit superstars and a handful of scrubs who ultimately have no real future with that team. Not to mention the importance of implementing a strong defensive foundation. Without that, you seriously can't consider yourself a contender in the east.

JAHRONMON
04-25-2011, 03:03 PM
why do knicks fans think they can get marc gasol....even if they did they are still not at champ level....they need defensive superstars, not Gasol who is an average defender/slightly above average rebounder

Im not a Knicks fan but i i guess there is a ray of hope of geting Gasol for Knicks fans, because they signed Randolph, Conley, and Gay to huge contracts so people are wondering if they could sign him after the new CBA.

theheatles
04-25-2011, 03:05 PM
i heard isiah thomas is the leading candidate

ChicagoRox
04-25-2011, 03:06 PM
They need a new coach and bad. But I was glad to see them back in the playoffs this year. It's a start.

Bruno
04-25-2011, 03:08 PM
IMO, yes. I've never been a fan.

Jetsguy
cant imagine anyone saying no to this...

MrfadeawayJB
Im not a Knicks fan but i i guess there is a ray of hope of geting Gasol for Knicks fans, because they signed Randolph, Conley, and Gay to huge contracts so people are wondering if they could sign him after the new CBA.

yeah a very small ray....:rolleyes:

Chi StateOfMind
04-25-2011, 03:10 PM
Yes, Mike D'Antoni= NO DEFENSE!!!

SoCalNYfan
04-25-2011, 03:11 PM
Yes. He has no concept of defense and is one dimensional in his offensive appraoch. He's like Westhead without the right pieces. And the NYK need a post up quality G to counter the big Gs in the East.

WeBallin
04-25-2011, 03:12 PM
No he needs to stay, so that he won't get another NBA job, with another frachise......Him an Triano for the raps, are absolutely horrible coach's

nycsports2
04-25-2011, 03:12 PM
ya they do for sure. need somebody that stresses defense alot more bc offense isnt going to be the problem... needs a couple players as well but a real center and about 3 role players theyll be ready to contend for it all

Sly Guy
04-25-2011, 03:15 PM
no, they don't. You can't blame the coach in a season where you moved half your roster at the deadline. Everyone knew that the knicks were a team clearing salary cap space for the LeBron sweepstakes, and now that the dust has settled from that free agency this team still needs a few tweaks to be a contender. Evaluate d'antoni after a full season of a set roster.

Mudvayne91
04-25-2011, 03:18 PM
New coach and new philosophy.

Sergio1984
04-25-2011, 03:21 PM
no, they don't. You can't blame the coach in a season where you moved half your roster at the deadline. Everyone knew that the knicks were a team clearing salary cap space for the LeBron sweepstakes, and now that the dust has settled from that free agency this team still needs a few tweaks to be a contender. Evaluate d'antoni after a full season of a set roster.

They weren't doing any better with the OLD roster so I don't really see that as a good excuse. Like someone else said, Carmelo, Amare, Billups are great offensive players but HORRIBLE defensively. Add to that the coach is anti-defense minded and you get what we saw in the playoffs against the C's.

JAHRONMON
04-25-2011, 03:24 PM
They weren't doing any better with the OLD roster so I don't really see that as a good excuse. Like someone else said, Carmelo, Amare, Billups are great offensive players but HORRIBLE defensively. Add to that the coach is anti-defense minded and you get what we saw in the playoffs against the C's.

I dont think you can say Melo and Billups are Horrible Defensivley. Ive watched games and Melo bent his knees got low and play d, really well and Amare is a good help Defender so he can spike blocks like their volleyballs, so i don't think there bad i just think the coach doesn't put enough emphasis on it.

magichatnumber9
04-25-2011, 03:25 PM

Nope, it seems he's the perfect coach for the team.This

Hawkeye15
04-25-2011, 03:27 PM
Its not all they need, but yes, they need to replace Mike. His style of play is just not going to win a ring. You can't rely on offense entirely, and that seems to be the focus he coach's with. Even when he slowed the pace up a couple of years ago, he still neglected that end.

NY needs a PG who can run an offense, a defensive center, and a coach with a defensive mindset who can at least get more motion sets out of his two weapons.

Sly Guy
04-25-2011, 03:27 PM

there were also less expectations on the old roster as well. d'Antoni had them playing exactly where the analysts had them pegged before the season began, a 500, or just slightly above 500 team.

AntiG
04-25-2011, 03:32 PM
Definitely need a better coach, but having Phil Jackson in there wouldn't have won you this series. The Celtics were simply the superior squad, from not only a talent perspective but also from a chemistry perspective too. Throw in that they have far better coaching, and its shocking that games 1 and 2 were even close ones. I'm still laughing at how everyone in every IGT until game 4 were landslide picking the Knicks in the polls and people were predicting Knicks in 6 or 7.

The Knicks are an improving squad, but they still have major holes... with one of them being at head coach.

Bring back JVG.

Weezy
04-25-2011, 04:26 PM

You do know people do....

Bornknick73
04-25-2011, 04:49 PM

Theres a guy in our forum named Reyes who would shock your imagination.

As a Knick fan and a NYer Ive always known defense wins. Ive been shot down by some on my forum (though most are finally seeing the light now) by saying that MDA is a bum. The mans coaching philosophy is unbelieveably ********. He rode Nash to his suspect reputation and without Nash hes been exposed in every facet of the game, but never moreso than on the defensive end.

Doc Rivers undressed him several times. I would normally give him a pass due to injuries but having Jeffries(who is horrid offensively) on the floor in the closing seconds of a winnable game is inexcusable. We need defense and he tells a solid defender like Corey Brewer "We cant use you" yet the Celtics desperately wanted him. The 50+ win Mavs must have known something too because they snapped him up as soon as we released him.

D'antoni is a stubborn man who thinks his Euro style, while it wins titles in europe, can win titles in the NBA. Anyone who knows anything about NBA basketball knows it cant. Playing that uptempo style isnt conducive to championship defense. And ive said this a 1000x in my forum. Do you know what the average defensive ranking of the last 27 NBA champions was?

5th.

Do you know how many times MDA coached a top 10 defense?

Never.

Some are content with playoffs every year. I want us to contend for the title, and with MDA its just not possible. If Mike Brown can take one superstar and a bunch of scrubs to 50+ wins imagine what his defensive schemes can do when working with 2 offensive players.

I wouldnt count out Phil either. You know how he loves to step onto teams that have Superstars. MJ and Scottie, Kobe and SHaq, Kobe and Gasol...

Could Melo and Amar'e be next? I could only pray it be so. Gimme Mike Brown or Marc Jackson with Ewing as defensive assistant. Marc Jackson as coach with Ewing and Oakley on the staff would be a dream. But whoever it is please let it be someone who has some idea of how to implement a defensive scheme, without it you arent gonna win anything.

WeBallin
04-25-2011, 04:51 PM
Definitely need a better coach, but having Phil Jackson in there wouldn't have won you this series. The Celtics were simply the superior squad, from not only a talent perspective but also from a chemistry perspective too. Throw in that they have far better coaching, and its shocking that games 1 and 2 were even close ones. I'm still laughing at how everyone in every IGT until game 4 were landslide picking the Knicks in the polls and people were predicting Knicks in 6 or 7.

The Knicks are an improving squad, but they still have major holes... with one of them being at head coach.

Bring back JVG.

They don't have the type of STARS for phil no way, U know he need at least one of the top 3 players in order to implement his system.....LOL

JAHRONMON
04-25-2011, 05:11 PM
Theres a guy in our forum named Reyes who would shock your imagination.

As a Knick fan and a NYer Ive always known defense wins. Ive been shot down by some on my forum (though most are finally seeing the light now) by saying that MDA is a bum. The mans coaching philosophy is unbelieveably ********. He rode Nash to his suspect reputation and without Nash hes been exposed in every facet of the game, but never moreso than on the defensive end.

Doc Rivers undressed him several times. I would normally give him a pass due to injuries but having Jeffries(who is horrid offensively) on the floor in the closing seconds of a winnable game is inexcusable. We need defense and he tells a solid defender like Corey Brewer "We cant use you" yet the Celtics desperately wanted him. The 50+ win Mavs must have known something too because they snapped him up as soon as we released him.

D'antoni is a stubborn man who thinks his Euro style, while it wins titles in europe, can win titles in the NBA. Anyone who knows anything about NBA basketball knows it cant. Playing that uptempo style isnt conducive to championship defense. And ive said this a 1000x in my forum. Do you know what the average defensive ranking of the last 27 NBA champions was?

5th.

Do you know how many times MDA coached a top 10 defense?

Never.

Some are content with playoffs every year. I want us to contend for the title, and with MDA its just not possible. If Mike Brown can take one superstar and a bunch of scrubs to 50+ wins imagine what his defensive schemes can do when working with 2 offensive players.

I wouldnt count out Phil either. You know how he loves to step onto teams that have Superstars. MJ and Scottie, Kobe and SHaq, Kobe and Gasol...

Could Melo and Amar'e be next? I could only pray it be so. Gimme Mike Brown or Marc Jackson with Ewing as defensive assistant. Marc Jackson as coach with Ewing and Oakley on the staff would be a dream. But whoever it is please let it be someone who has some idea of how to implement a defensive scheme, without it you arent gonna win anything.

very nice dude

Jetsguy
04-25-2011, 05:30 PM
You do know people do....

sigh unfortunately.

jneises21
04-25-2011, 05:33 PM
Is the pope catholic?

MelkyNYY
04-25-2011, 05:41 PM

This

ChitownSports16
04-25-2011, 05:48 PM

ouch!!

smith&wesson
04-25-2011, 05:57 PM
the knicks need a new

-head coach
-starting C
-a 6th man
-a defensive anchor.
-veteran role players

right now they bascially have two stars and an aging billups. turiaf is a good back up C and douglas is a decent back up pg. the rest of the team is garbage. next season they will be good though. i have no doubt they will be a top 4 team in the east at least.

stlbest5in2013
04-25-2011, 06:02 PM
holy cow can we go a day, or better yet a week without a knick thread on here. i mean its usually 2-3 per day. but hell no, better not be any rose threads, even though the knick threads far out number the rose thread.

this thread is like the rest of the knicks threads, one big melo jerk-a-thon and amare bung hole banging decathalon

KnicksR4Real
04-25-2011, 06:14 PM
This

i kno right:clap:

nolafan33
04-25-2011, 08:53 PM
No, they just need a actual filled out team and not a team with three stars and a bunch of scrubs.

NYKnicksAllDay
04-25-2011, 09:30 PM
I've been back and forth on this. Originally I was for giving him another year, but I'm starting to lean towards him needing to go.

Kashmir13579
04-25-2011, 09:39 PM
He deserves another season to make it work, imo.

he's had crappy teams for 3 years and finally when we get into the playoffs and are doing well, 2 of his top 3 players gets injured. thats just bad luck.

IBleedPurple
04-26-2011, 12:00 AM
Not just on the Knicks......I've never been a fan of him. He doesn't coach defense, and that doesn't work in the playoffs. This had been proven for many years since his days in Phoenix.

swirl54
04-26-2011, 12:16 AM
To me yes. Get Chris Paul, and pay Phil Jackson 20 mil a year to coach em.

stlbest5in2013
04-26-2011, 12:17 AM
Not just on the Knicks......I've never been a fan of him. He doesn't coach defense, and that doesn't work in the playoffs. This had been proven for many years since his days in Phoenix.

dont tell him that, he was on mike and mike and they asked him about that. he took offense to that, and said his system works, even though it never has.