PDA

View Full Version : If You Were Pat Riley Would You?...

Young and Stupid
04-25-2011, 01:08 PM
So far the Heat have looked very impressive in the playoffs and -- as I predicted prior to the beginning of the playoffs -- may very well be on their way to a championship. Despite a collapse down the stretch against the Sixers yesterday, LeBron and Wade have seemed to develop pretty good chemistry; each one knowing where the other is and effectively moving off of the ball.

Although the two combine to make an outstanding highlight reel on the offensive end, what really sets them apart is their commitment to defense. Wade and LeBron combine to make up one of -- if not -- the most formidable perimeter defenses in the league, but the Heat still lack interior defense and toughness.

Despite being two of the top-three players in the NBA, Wade and LeBron still find themselves struggling on occasion on the offensive-end. You'll often see one of the two standing in the corner as the other essentially runs an iso-play. Now some may be quick to blame Eric Spoelstra for his lack of creativity on offense, but the fact of the matter is that LeBron and Wade have extremely similar offensive games. There's not much that can be done to prevent instances where one of the two isn't being fully utilized in the offense.

Having said that, I want to pose a question which I found extremely interesting: If you were Pat Riley and Otis Smith offered you Dwight Howard for LeBron James, would you do it? Obviously, you'd have to go under a few assumptions -- Dwight Howard would agree to sign an extension with Miami; Wade would be willing to allow one of his close friends to get traded against his will and Riley would be able to accept the deal without LeBron and Worldwide Wes throwing a riot which would effectively put an end to the NBA as we know it. Remember: this is purely hypothetical; I'm aware that this would never occur.

Personally, I would have to pull the trigger. LeBron James is undoubtedly the best player in the NBA; he's extremely versatile, he has possibly the greatest combination of passing and scoring in the history of the NBA, he's an elite defender when he commits himself and he's one of the greatest talent that this league has ever seen. Having said that, he and Dwyane Wade have extremely similar offensive games and -- despite being two of the greatest players of their generation -- they don't complement each other perfectly.

Dwight Howard is far-and-away the NBA's most impactful defensive player, is displaying an ever-improving offensive-game and still has plenty of room to grow. He'd be a much better fit for the Heat; he would provide the team with the interior defense and toughness that it needs and would allow Wade to resume his role as lone ball-handling perimeter scorer. Even though there is a large injury-risk with Wade, he's still fully capable of being one of the league's best players for the next four or so seasons. I could argue it either way, but if forced to make a decision, I'd trade LeBron for Howard (if I was the Miami Heat, not in general).

Edit: Once again, this is a purely hypothetical thread. This will never happen, the opportunity will never present itself, the Heat will NEVER trade LeBron James. That's not the point of the thread, I'm well aware that it will not happen. It's for discussion's sake.

SensandRaps
04-25-2011, 01:09 PM
random thread but there is no way i trade james, if any of the big three are getting traded its going to be bosh for a more defensive, rebounding presence

SOMATS
04-25-2011, 01:17 PM
You've come up with some great points, but I think this is too risky of a move to make. Lebron, like you said, is arguably the best player in the league, as we've seen him "take over" numerous games at will. And although he and D-Wade haven't played together as well as people expected, they're going to learn to adapt to each-other in the coming years, and I could easily see their chemistry improving by bounds and leaps. They've only been teammates for a season, and are still working out some of the kinks.

In two years or so, if they still don't seem to be on the same page offensively, then this move would make more sense.

unleashthebeast
04-25-2011, 01:34 PM
no chance, lebron gave up soooooo much to be here in south beach, no chance we ever move him. i personally dont think we will ever move any of the big 3, given how much they gave up to play together

ttam68
04-25-2011, 01:40 PM
We've had this thread before. There's no way you trade Lebron for anyone straight up.

Frankly, with the way the Magic look right now and Dwight's contract situation, Pat Riley could probably snag Dwight for a package built around Bosh. If he'd offered Lebron, the trade would be accepted in seconds by Orlando

Jonathan2323
04-25-2011, 01:47 PM
You can't move LeBron and I wouldn't trade him for anyone anyways.. 1st he would have to agree to go to a team and 2nd you wouldn't get equal value.

Heater4life
04-25-2011, 01:50 PM
Why make a random hypothetical trade like this? Its not even remotely possible for either team.

Either way no.

Double_R
04-25-2011, 01:52 PM
no chance, lebron gave up soooooo much to be here in south beach, no chance we ever move him. i personally dont think we will ever move any of the big 3, given how much they gave up to play together

SOOOOOO MUCH, hahahaha....What exactly did he give up??? please spare me the answer that he signed with Miami for a couple less million.

On the topic: I would trade Lebron for Dwight since that would give them a more traditional lineup and Dwade, Bosh, and Dwight would be chamionship bound every year. Their defense and offense would be unstoppable.

The Magic would be taking a huge gamble to trade DH to Miami, doubt they would do it.

Double_R
04-25-2011, 01:53 PM
We've had this thread before. There's no way you trade Lebron for anyone straight up.

Frankly, with the way the Magic look right now and Dwight's contract situation, Pat Riley could probably snag Dwight for a package built around Bosh. If he'd offered Lebron, the trade would be accepted in seconds by Orlando

This thread is built on delusion.

SoxBearsBulls!
04-25-2011, 01:58 PM
dumb thread, that trade won´t happen

rapjuicer06
04-25-2011, 02:07 PM

hahahaha bosh? fail...and you have no one to package with him...double fail.

allSUAVE
04-25-2011, 02:25 PM
wade Dwight and bosh >> wade Lebron and bosh

but it wont happend!!!

justinnum1
04-25-2011, 02:30 PM
or......... howard can tell the magic he walks in FA or take bosh from miami in s&t

rapjuicer06
04-25-2011, 02:33 PM
or......... howard can tell the magic he walks in FA or take bosh from miami in s&t

or get a better package from some other team. i'll go with that one over bosh

TO Rapz
04-25-2011, 02:36 PM
I would...it leaves them with:
Howard
Bosh
Miller
Wade
Bibby/Chalmers

Thats much better considering this team would be better defensively. On offense, Bosh would get more looks which is what made him so effective in Toronto. Wade would get the ball more and be more effective IMO, Miller and Bibby spread the floor, and Howard works the paint down low, while Bosh works it up high. IMO this is a better team.

JAHRONMON
04-25-2011, 02:40 PM
I think you forget about bosh Dwight plays best with a 4 that goes out to the 3 point line but im sure he would do just fine without one so yea i guess i would do it. Fun post.

Arch Stanton
04-25-2011, 02:41 PM
Yes in a heartbeat. Or even DWade for Howard. I agree DWade and LeBron are too similar. And I don't know why some people think that LeBron gave up so much to play in Miami. He makes more money in Miami being that it's a tax free state.

justinnum1
04-25-2011, 02:45 PM
Yes in a heartbeat. Or even DWade for Howard. I agree DWade and LeBron are too similar. And I don't know why some people think that LeBron gave up so much to play in Miami. He makes more money in Miami being that it's a tax free state.

wade for howard lmfao :facepalm:

Arch Stanton
04-25-2011, 02:49 PM
I know I don't really see Orlando wanting that trade so much!

ttam68
04-25-2011, 02:54 PM
hahahaha bosh? fail...and you have no one to package with him...double fail.

I hate the Heat (notice Iggy in my avatar) and Dwight's walking either way, getting a young all-star big isn't the worst thing Orlando could do.

MrfadeawayJB
04-25-2011, 02:56 PM
Nooo Lebron is the arguably the best player in the league....D. Howard is nice, but he is not the monster like Shaq was at that age

rapjuicer06
04-25-2011, 03:07 PM
I hate the Heat (notice Iggy in my avatar) and Dwight's walking either way, getting a young all-star big isn't the worst thing Orlando could do.

oooor they can get a better package. you can't build a team around Bosh. its already been tried and has failed.

rapjuicer06
04-25-2011, 03:08 PM
Nooo Lebron is the arguably the best player in the league....D. Howard is nice, but he is not the monster like Shaq was at that age

hahaha wtf?

Lebron is good, but he's no animal like Jordan.

ChicagoRox
04-25-2011, 03:15 PM
First off, THe magic would never trade their franchise player to an interstate, interdivision team. They would for sure lose fans to the heat.

2nd, all the heat really need to do to become a true dynasty is trade Bosh for a defensive center and good role players. Oh and a better coach.

mttwlsn16
04-25-2011, 03:28 PM
keep the big 3, find a PG, and haslem will be back. then youre all set

mttwlsn16
04-25-2011, 03:32 PM

how does your iguadala avatar prove you hate the heat? :facepalm:

mikealike305
04-25-2011, 03:34 PM
keep the big 3, find a PG, and haslem will be back. then youre all set

this.
ppl gotta remember, we didnt sign them to a 1 year contract. this team WILL get better. trading any of the big 3 would just be stupid at this point. if we can get sammy d or another good C. a PG that can hit the 3 consistantly. and have haslem back healthy this team can be scary

ChicagoRox
04-25-2011, 03:38 PM
this.
ppl gotta remember, we didnt sign them to a 1 year contract. this team WILL get better. trading any of the big 3 would just be stupid at this point. if we can get sammy d or another good C. a PG that can hit the 3 consistantly. and have haslem back healthy this team can be scary

Who knows how Haslem will be after the injury? It's not for for sure he will get his game back. Not fimiliar with the cap space or ending contracts with the heat but, they tried most of the ring chasing pgs and still really only have the big 3 scoring. Why not just have two of the top 5 nba players and have real depth?

Arch Stanton
04-25-2011, 03:43 PM
this.

Or you could hire some more washed up Vets like Eddie Curry a.k.a. "The Big Mac Attacker."

mikealike305
04-25-2011, 04:01 PM
Who knows how Haslem will be after the injury? It's not for for sure he will get his game back. Not fimiliar with the cap space or ending contracts with the heat but, they tried most of the ring chasing pgs and still really only have the big 3 scoring. Why not just have two of the top 5 nba players and have real depth?

this is why i said IF. who know how hes going to be. the heat can have a much improved team, or it can be the same as this year. idk. the point im trying to make is that the HEAT are 2 or 3 players away from being a very scary and very dominating team so it would make 0 sense to trade any of them

gilly
04-25-2011, 04:12 PM
Hypothetical situation, would never ever happen.

If it were possible, I would do it 100/100 times. Dwight/Wade/Bosh would be more unstoppable than the current big 3.

Young and Stupid
04-26-2011, 10:36 AM
this.

Well yeah, there's no disputing that the Talents in South Beach will improve as time goes on and they become more of a cohesive unit, but we're talking about Dwight Howard here. We're not talking about trading Bosh for fillers in an effective admission of a mistake; we're talking about trading for the NBA's second-best player who fills all of the team's needs and allows Wade to slip back into his comfort-zone.

Is it really worth upholding your pride, if it means risking a marginal amount of success? Then again, this is Pat Riley we're talking about -- possibly one of the biggest egomaniacs this league has seen -- so you may, in fact, be right.

Kyben36
04-26-2011, 10:46 AM
I would trade Wade for Dwight, not Lebron. but no way that happends. Wade is injury prone ( more so than Lebron ), there no way they take bosh for Dwight, Wade is probably fair value, but its not happening.

diu9leilomo
04-26-2011, 11:27 AM
i would trade dwade and not lebron, with dwight and bosh in front, bosh could excel his offense since he isnt a defensive player in the first place and forcing him to be a defensive/rebounding player wont make him a better player. why didnt the cavs win a champ when shaq was in their roster? a solid reason could be their 4 spot. mean while lebron continues his triple-double factor. lebron is a better passer than dwade, lebron has higher basketball IQ, lebron has better leadership. i would say dwade + Z will do it even it'll never happen :)

dwight - provides defensive inside presence
bosh - arguably the top 5 offensive PF
miller - a solid role player
lebron - best player in the league (the future, knowing kobe gonna get old)
bibby/chalmers - another solid role player

heatforlife
04-26-2011, 02:39 PM
helll nooooooooooooo i want the big three to stay the way they are right now

king4day
04-26-2011, 03:09 PM
They'd be unstoppable with Howard in the paint.
But in this day and age, you never get dollar for dollar in superstar trades.
They could probably deal Bosh and change for him in a more realistic type of deal knowing he probably won't return to Orlando.

king4day
04-26-2011, 03:11 PM
A better idea is:

Would you trade Lebron for Howard straight up, or Wade AND Bosh for Howard straight up.

Sly Guy
04-26-2011, 03:36 PM
I'd trade wade first, but I'd still make that trade. I still believe miami has too much redundancy in wade and lbj, and howard is as close to fair value in return as you can get. Orlando, however, would not make the deal. They know without dwight they are toast.

stlbest5in2013
04-26-2011, 03:59 PM
it is not W.W.P.R.D

it is W.W.J.D.

sep11ie
04-26-2011, 04:20 PM
All the heat fans first said how beastly and how much of a total domination team they'd be sooo scary, now everyone is saying when they get a defensive center and a 3pt drilling PG that can pass they will be such a scary team. Isn't that what we all said after the big signing day and you all argued saying the 3 stooges was all ya needed?

Tony_Starks
04-26-2011, 04:41 PM
All Riles has to do is pour himself a glass of scotch and get ready for the Lakers in the finals. He's good.

Sadds The Gr8
04-26-2011, 04:46 PM
it would never happen so why does it matter?