PDA

View Full Version : Tell me how in the world can Memphis re-sign Gasol

KnIckNy212
04-25-2011, 12:40 PM
Marc Gasol is a top 5 Center in this league. I just dont see how Memphis can re-sign him if you look at who they already have locked up. You got that huge Rudy Gay contract (5 years 82 mil), then you have Conley (5 years 40 mil) and they just signed Randolph to a extension(4 years 71 mil) and Randolph said he signed after being told that they would re-sign Gasol. Every playoff game that Memphis plays the price for Gasol just keeps increasing. You know some team is going to offer him a crazy contract that he might just might be worth and I dont see how Memphis I mean we are talking about Memphis I dont see them selling out the arena every night can afford 4 huge contracts. I mean after Howard, maybe Bynum even though I would take Gasol over Bynum because of the injury history with Bynum who else would you want at the Center position.

Ron Swanson
04-25-2011, 12:45 PM
If I were the Knicks I'd make a run at him with a front loaded contract. Dare Memphis not to match. I think gasol would be a sneaky good pickup for them.

Tarheels23
04-25-2011, 12:46 PM
They can afford to give him $8-10 mil per year under this current CBA moving forward. They just wont be able to resign Mayo next year or Battier this year.

It all depends on the new CBA's salary cap (soft cap/hard cap/lux tax)

KnIckNy212
04-25-2011, 12:49 PM
Knicks find a way to get Gasol look out

nightBULL
04-25-2011, 12:52 PM
Bird rights?

king4day
04-25-2011, 12:52 PM
If Memphis gets past round one and maybe even round 2, then they will do what they have to to keep him.
If not, expect a sign and trade.

camador22
04-25-2011, 01:01 PM
It's called Bird Rights under the current CBA. If the same CBA were to apply next year (highly unlikely) then they could offer him the max if they want. This summer will be very interesting to see how the new CBA will be.

gotoHcarolina52
04-25-2011, 01:02 PM
Marc Gasol to Miami for the MLE (yes, there will be such a thing)!

The Jokemaker
04-25-2011, 01:04 PM
He isn't going anywhere. You know a fellow by the name of Marko Jaric? Yeah his contract comes off the books this year so that frees up some cash.

abe_froman
04-25-2011, 01:05 PM
the owner's a billionaire and they hold his bird rights

Hellcrooner
04-25-2011, 01:06 PM
the question is

is conley, gay,randolph and marc + 11 minimum salary players a team that can WIN THE RING?

it isnt so it would be in best interest for grizz that someone offered a max contract ot marc and since memphis can match they did a SIGN and trade for pieces memphis need.

Khalifa21
04-25-2011, 01:07 PM

Memphis would match that in a heartbeat.

Anyway there will be a load of team throwing money at him this off season. He's one of the few legit quality young centers in this league.

7'1, 260 lbs.. Great defensively, a low post banger who can score efficiently. He's my dream summer acquisition (outside of CP3, we can all dream eh?). Him and a defensive minded coach, plus a few bench players would do absolute wonders for the Knicks.

KnIckNy212
04-25-2011, 01:07 PM
But will they use the Bird rights and go over the cap to sign Gasol if so that would be a big move for a small market team I dont think the owner would

D1JM
04-25-2011, 01:10 PM
What's the point of signing Conley, Randolph and gay if they are letting gasol walk? They won't.

Tarheels23
04-25-2011, 01:17 PM
the question is

is conley, gay,randolph and marc + 11 minimum salary players a team that can WIN THE RING?

it isnt so it would be in best interest for grizz that someone offered a max contract ot marc and since memphis can match they did a SIGN and trade for pieces memphis need.

Well they have guys like Allen, Arthur, Henry and Young signed for cheap dollars. Those are all solid role players. They can bring back Haddadi, hopefully sign a MLE free agent, maybe flip OJ Mayo for a piece and/or picks

Hellcrooner
04-25-2011, 01:20 PM
Well they have guys like Allen, Arthur, Henry and Young signed for cheap dollars. Those are all solid role players. They can bring back Haddadi, hopefully sign a MLE free agent, maybe flip OJ Mayo for a piece and/or picks

arthur came at the same time than gasol so he is up for extension too? maybe next yesar at most.

Cal827
04-25-2011, 01:20 PM

Memphis would probably love it if he signed an offer sheet with you guys lol then they would only have to pay him half of what the other teams will offer

I don't see how this team is going to manage in the future though. I expect them to match whatever offer, but They already pay Gay, Randolph and Conley about 37 million combined. If there's a hard cap in the future CBA, they are screwed b/c they are on the hook for approx 52 million next year (Adding Randolph's new contract) already. But then again, I doubt that Stern will make it so that the money making teams (E.g. L.A) have to cut salaries.

If he doesn't resign, then I can see a team with a decent amount of Cap space (E.g. Toronto, New York if they decline the option of Billups) to make a strong play for him.

gaughan333
04-25-2011, 01:22 PM
Some of these posts from heat fans....you're not gonna get everyone to come to your team for the MLE.

Hawkeye15
04-25-2011, 01:24 PM
been touched on here briefly, but if you play for a team for 3 years, you earn Bird rights, which allows the team to go over the cap to resign you. If the new CBA does not have this, Memphis is kinda screwed. But I imagine it will still have this.

Tarheels23
04-25-2011, 01:39 PM
arthur came at the same time than gasol so he is up for extension too? maybe next yesar at most.

Yeah he is a restricted FA at the end of next season, just looked it up

SpeeMN
04-25-2011, 01:54 PM
Timberwolves will make a run at him to, if nothing else, drive up his price. We'll offer at least 5 years 60million.

RaiderLakersA's
04-25-2011, 01:57 PM
Gasol to Miami wouldn't be a bad thing. Marc may be one of the better centers in the league, but he still has that "role player" and blue collar mentality. Wish we could have kept both of the Gasol brothers, but it just wasn't meant to be.

TO to the CHI
04-25-2011, 01:58 PM
Timberwolves will make a run at him to, if nothing else, drive up his price. We'll offer at least 5 years 60million.

I think Minny is a pretty good fit for him. He would do well beside Love and I imagine it would help their argument to get Rubio over if they had Gasol on the roster.

I am hoping that the Raps sign him, as I think he could look good beside Bargs and let him shift to his more natural power forward position.

The Bird rights thing is overblown. There are substantial indications that something like the Bird rights will not survive in the new CBA. While that obviously remains to be seen, I don't think that anyone can be so quick to count on the Bird rights remaining (at least not in anything close to their current form).

RaiderLakersA's
04-25-2011, 02:02 PM
I'm telling you, Marc is going to want to go to a market with some international flavor. Miami, LA, NYC. No insult to Memphis, but I don't see him staying.

Chacarron
04-25-2011, 02:05 PM
Memphis can match any offer under the current CBA because they hold his bird rights. The maximum salary that can be offered to a player with 3 years in the NBA like Gasol is 25% of the cap. Memphis can also go over the cap to match any salary which puts them over.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q11

Hellcrooner
04-25-2011, 02:08 PM
I'm telling you, Marc is going to want to go to a market with some international flavor. Miami, LA, NYC. No insult to Memphis, but I don't see him staying.

market wont be a factor.

role will.

he can accpet his current 4th option role if he is on a position to win a RING ( celtics, Lakers, Heat, Knicks(would be th e third option here) etc)

if not he would like to go somwhere where he can be an scoring option an do his numbers and be alowed to be an impact in making team better ( Raptors, Warriors, Wolves etc )

IF memphis gives him a max contract and ASSURES him that he will get similar looks that he is getting in this playoffs ( during season he barely saw any balls) he may want to resign.

Hellcrooner
04-25-2011, 02:10 PM
btw if im big bro im bugging Mitch Kutchap all day long to offer Bynums knees for Mayo and Marc Gasol in a sign and trade :p

The Jokemaker
04-25-2011, 02:11 PM
Guys look, Marc isn't going anywhere. If you really want to get a Gasol then start scouting the third Gasol brother playing in HS in Memphis.

The Jokemaker
04-25-2011, 02:12 PM
btw if im big bro im bugging Mitch Kutchap all day long to offer Bynums knees for Mayo and Marc Gasol in a sign and trade :p

You really think Pau wants to get shown up by his brother on a nightly basis?

mttwlsn16
04-25-2011, 02:12 PM
He isn't going anywhere. You know a fellow by the name of Marko Jaric? Yeah his contract comes off the books this year so that frees up some cash.

this

What's the point of signing Conley, Randolph and gay if they are letting gasol walk? They won't.

and this

TrueFan420
04-25-2011, 02:22 PM
the question is

i think is it. name a better front court than zbo and marc. la's is good but bynum is always hurt, celtics traded perkins, timmmy d is old, mavs maybe, portland close but no, magic just have howard, da bulls maybe but they dont have the same length, same with the atl....

D1JM
04-25-2011, 02:27 PM
the question is

they might upset the spurs so why not?

allSUAVE
04-25-2011, 02:28 PM
I would love him next to stat

Tha Truth
04-25-2011, 02:40 PM
T-Dot Please.

MrfadeawayJB
04-25-2011, 02:48 PM
lol @ everyone thinking they can get gasol...

He has never said he wants out of memphis, with mayo being dealt over the summer, he is the 3rd option on our team.

For those saying he could go to a champ. contender, why not see how memphis finishes this season first. If we get past the spurs we still match up with OKC favorably...not to mention teams in west are getting older.

whoever said Conley and Gay have hit thier ceiling are not very educated basketball fans....conley is really a year less experienced due to injuries, and Gay was making strides in his all around game this year thanks to US basketball

Run&Gun
04-25-2011, 03:08 PM
They will do everything to keep Gasol, only problem is like others have said
they won't be able to make their team that much better with all the money locked up, so question is this team good enough for a ring?

Memphis is really taking a gamble that their young guys will develop into all stars/superstars in the near future.

iggypop123
04-25-2011, 03:20 PM
he's restricted. theyll let somebody pay him and then match

thekmp211
04-25-2011, 03:53 PM
hope he stays with the griz...that core is proving itself as we speak. exciting future there.

tyfreaks brotha
04-25-2011, 05:26 PM
I know it ain't happening but I wish he came to the Kings

Tyreke
Thorton
Williams
Cousins
Gasol

Hoopsadvocate
04-25-2011, 06:15 PM

Not if you are already way over the salary cap it then it wont matter how muhc comes off the books. And with the extentions gay and randolph got i doubt jarics is anywhere near close enough to make a difference.

MrfadeawayJB
04-25-2011, 06:16 PM
Not if you are already way over the salary cap it then it wont matter how muhc comes off the books. And with the extentions gay and randolph got i doubt jarics is anywhere near close enough to make a difference.

jaric has $7 million coming off the books

Super.
04-25-2011, 06:22 PM

Why do heat fans think they can sign every free agent for the MLE?

Ni55anpat
04-25-2011, 06:33 PM
heat fans, keep dreaming

Hoopsadvocate
04-25-2011, 06:33 PM
jaric has $7 million coming off the books

okay like is said it wont matter if your books are over 7 mill over the cap then.

Which im sure it is with a max and another near max and conleys pretty hefty contract and add in your other players.

The cap last year was about 56 mil and owners are trying to lower it so just use 56 as a gross over estimate and add ur contracts for next year minus not including jarics of course and i bet it will be.

SP17
04-25-2011, 07:19 PM
Marc Gasol is a top 5 Center in this league. I just dont see how Memphis can re-sign him if you look at who they already have locked up. You got that huge Rudy Gay contract (5 years 82 mil), then you have Conley (5 years 40 mil) and they just signed Randolph to a extension(4 years 71 mil) and Randolph said he signed after being told that they would re-sign Gasol. Every playoff game that Memphis plays the price for Gasol just keeps increasing. You know some team is going to offer him a crazy contract that he might just might be worth and I dont see how Memphis I mean we are talking about Memphis I dont see them selling out the arena every night can afford 4 huge contracts. I mean after Howard, maybe Bynum even though I would take Gasol over Bynum because of the injury history with Bynum who else would you want at the Center position.

you should check hoopshype.com maybe it could help you...
http://hoopshype.com/salaries/memphis.htm

This might help you..After signing Zbo to an extension memphis would still be 53-54 million range. Their salaries this yearis 70 mil so I think if the owner would allow to reach that same budget they have a pretty good chance of signing Marc to an extension... maybe 12-15 mil range.

SP17
04-25-2011, 07:29 PM

just to let you know Zbo signed a 66 mil 4 yr deal...dont know yet the exact numbers per yr but lets assume that its 16.5 mil next year then you add 36.4 mil they have on contracts of other players including Conley,gay,mayo and etc that would only make 52.9 mil..STill under the cap I believe. Their salary for this year is 70 million so if the owner allows that again they can pretty much resign gasol and still have a lower payroll as compare to this year..

Also Marc Gasol is a RFA so they can match any offers.

JasonJohnHorn
04-25-2011, 07:33 PM
Well.. if they are willing to spend the money, they have the Larry Bird rule in their favour. They can offer a longer contract, and one worth more money.

KnicksR4Real
04-25-2011, 07:36 PM
Knicks?

tcav701
04-25-2011, 07:59 PM
The Grizz CAN bring back Gasol.

However it will prevent them from signing anyone relevant for the next 4-5 years. They will be pretty good but they have will have 4 good players with no real stars/superstars.

In other words, going over the cap on Zbo, Gay, Gasol and Conley will give them a future similar to that of the Atlanta Hawks. Consistent playoff team but not a title threat.

SP17
04-25-2011, 08:01 PM
Knicks?

how? how much cap do you this offseason? I think you have 12-13 mil avail.

AlexTmz2
04-25-2011, 08:22 PM
If the Spurs can sign this guy I would go insane. He would be a great addition to the team. The missing piece.

Adzman
04-25-2011, 08:44 PM
Marc Gasol is a class player. I hope for the Grizz fans that he stays around. That said, I sure as hell would love him at Boston.

Punk
04-25-2011, 08:56 PM
The Knicks have alot of interest in him. Donnie Walsh will certainly put pressure on their Front Office on Gasol.

gotoHcarolina52
04-25-2011, 09:07 PM
Why do heat fans think they can sign every free agent for the MLE?

This (http://sportschump.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Pat-Riley-championship-rings.jpg) + This (http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/1007/other.heat.players/images/gallery-trio.jpg) + This (http://www.vivalosfondo.it/wallpapers/miami_beach_colony_sfondi_desktop-1152x864.jpg) + This (http://miamiheatnews.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/MiamiHeat1.jpg) + This (http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2010/05/20/article-1274342935757-09A7F6EA000005DC-297378_465x382.jpg)

Hellcrooner
04-25-2011, 09:10 PM
The Knicks have alot of interest in him. Donnie Walsh will certainly put pressure on their Front Office on Gasol.

pity the team gave up all the Sign and tradeable assets they had.

And is going to require a Sign and Trade to get Marc this offseason due to being Restricted.