PDA

View Full Version : Which playoff series has had the most surprising results thus far?

LayZbone
04-25-2011, 02:22 AM
We're witnessing some great playoff basketball with a lot of surprising outcomes. I know I should probably wait until after the 1st round to ask this question, but which playoff series has had the most unexpected results for you thus far? Not the best series, but the most surprising. To be honest, the only outcomes that I foresaw were Dallas-Portland locking horns, and Miami/Chicago handling their opponents for the most part. This is how I would rank the playoffs from most to least surprising:

1. The Hornets being tied with L.A. at 2-2. I thought the Lakers would sweep. Congrats to CP3 and the Hornets no matter what happens.

2. Boston sweeping New York. I know there have been injuries, but prior to the playoffs I predicted that N.Y. would be the toughest underdog, and take an old, Perkinsless Boston to 6-7 games.

3. OKC with a 3-0 series lead over Denver. I thought this would be the most even series.

4. ATL with a 3-1 lead over ORL. I though it'd be the complete opposite with the Magic up.

5. Every Chicago/Indy game being decided by 6 or less. Gotta give credit to Indy for battling tough.

6. Memphis with a 2-1 series lead over S.A.

7. Dallas-Portland. Pretty much expected this to go the distance, didn't expect Roy to ball out like that though.

8. Miami 3-1 over Philly. Nothing surprising here.

SP17
04-25-2011, 02:24 AM
No question is LA vs NO...

Spurs vs Grizz and Hawks and Magic is also surprising

but LA trumps those 2...Hell most of us predicted this will end in 5 at most..

stawka
04-25-2011, 02:46 AM
ATL owning Orlando, followed by Hornets keeping it close vs LA

Baller1
04-25-2011, 02:47 AM
Hornets tied with LA.

Hellcrooner
04-25-2011, 02:47 AM
none, until some top 4 seed gets indeed elimianted.

cubswin25
04-25-2011, 02:59 AM
This would be my top five

1.Hawks up 3-1 on Magic- Let's not forget the Hawks went something like 11-20 over their final 31 games and won only 44 games. I don't think anybody picked the Hawks to win this series. If they win this series they will likely have the worst record of any team still playing.

2.Lakers and Hornets tied 2-2- The only reason why this isn't my number one is because I still think the Lakers will win the series in six. So while it's a surprise, since nobody expected anything out of this Hornets team after they lost David West. But they aren't on the verge of getting upset like the Magic are either.

3.Grizzlies up 2-1 on the Spurs- Most expected the Grizzlies to give them a tough series. But it's still surprising to see the Grizzlies up in the series as the 8 seed vs the 1 seed. It's still too early to see where it's going yet though. I wouldn't be totally shocked if the Spurs won the next three. But I could see this one going 7.

4.Bulls up 3-1 on Pacers-The Bulls being up 3-1 was expected since most predicted the Bulls to win in 4 or 5. But nobody expected all the games to be close games. So you gotta give the Pacers credit for playing so well, and point out that the Bulls need to shoot the ball better and not turnover the ball as much. That said you can't bash them too much, because they are still in control of this series and not tied like the Lakers or down in the series like Magic or Spurs. But if the Bulls don't close it out on Tuesday then fans might start to worry.

5. Celtics sweep over Knicks- I never bought into the Knicks actually winning this series. Since the Knicks really weren't a good basketball team and the Celtics were. The Knicks probably should have stole game one or two, that and losing Billups is why the Celtics got swept instead of losing in 5 or 6 like I thought they would.

As for the rest pretty much what I expected. The Heat are a lot better then the 76ers, so I expected them up 3-1. But they have played them tough(besides one game) just like the Pacers have with the Bulls. I always expected the Mavs/Blazers to be a long series, and I still think the Mavs will win. I'm also not surprised with the Thunder/Nuggets outcome. I never brought into the Nuggets winning in the playoffs without a allstar level go to player. Especially not against a team as talented as the Thunder, who might be the only team that could possibly beat the Lakers this year in the West. I thought they would win a game or two(probably should have won game one) and they still might. But I still expect the Thunder vs Lakers in WCF. They are the two most talented teams in the West, especially with the Spurs kinda on their last legs(Duncan declining, Manus beat up and they don't play defense like they once did) and Mavs or Blazers unlikely to get past the Lakers in round 2. Since the Blazers aren't as good as the Lakers and the Mavs can never get over the hump.

FilNugsFan
04-25-2011, 03:17 AM
1. LAL vs NOH (2-2)

- Thought it's gonna be a sweep especially when West suffered that season-ending injury.

2. OKC vs DEN (3-0)

- As indicated by the TS.

Dr.Manhatten
04-25-2011, 05:04 AM
1. Orlando vs. Atlanta- self explanatory
2. Spurs vs. Grizz- Didn't think the Spurs would get physically beat up by the Grizz
3. Lakers vs. Hornets- nobody saw the Paul of 3 years ago coming back, or that the best Gasol in the playoffs, was playing on Memphis
4. Miami vs. Philly- surprise, I picked Miami to sweep, but Philly has had a chance to win 3 of 4 against the Heat. Game 1 was tight, game 3 could've gone either way, and they won game 4.
5. Mavs vs. Blazers- didn't think the Mavs would drop a 23 point lead with 13 minutes to go.

Avenged
04-25-2011, 05:09 AM
Orlando/Hawks series.. Magic down 3-1? Never would have predicted that.

2nd comes the Hornets/Lakers series.. But I guess it's not so shocking once you realize who their best player is.

Purple&Gold24
04-25-2011, 05:17 AM
Orlando and Hawks. Big time.

And If your lakers fan and you've been consistently
following this team this season well sadly this isn't
surprising, we should have swept but instead we will
prolong the series and decide to wake when they want.
:sigh:

Crackadalic
04-25-2011, 05:26 AM
Lakers/hornets tied 2-2:Pretty much shock about this. CP3 still the best pg in the league

Boston/Knicks Sweep: Knew we wouldnt get out of the 1st round but injuries really hurt the knicks. Boston is still scary

OKC/Nuggets 3-0 Lead: I had OKC in 6 because as deep as denver is they have no go to player. Little surprise their down 0-3

ATL/Magic 3-1 lead: Before the series started I knew Hawks would put up a better fight since this was a revenge series. Watch a lot of Magic games and it shows if you single coverage Dwight your chances of winning is higher. hawks in 6

CHI/INDY 3-0 lead, every game close: Im pretty shock Indy has stayed competitive with the bulls. This also brings me to believe that the bulls will have a hard time moving forward if D-rose is still your number 1 scoring option

Memphis/Grizz 2-1 lead: not shock about this. Z-bo/Gasol is hard to cover

Dallas/Portland 2-2 tied: Not shock at all

Miami/Philly 3-1 lead: Not shock at all

JordansBulls
04-25-2011, 07:47 AM
Hornets and Lakers easily. LA was 4-0 against them in the season, the Hornets are missing there 2nd best player as well.

With Atlanta and Orlando it was a 4 and 5 matchup and Atlanta was 3-1 vs Orlando in the season.

The Jokemaker
04-25-2011, 07:52 AM
For me I thought the Lakers would roll all over the Hornets. That has been the most surprising series for me.

I expected the Grizz to win a game or two against the Spurs so that isn't too surprising but expecting something to happen and actually seeing it are two different things so it was still surprising.

I didn't think the Knicks would make too much noise this year so their sweep isn't that surprising.

Orlando has struggled a lot this season so seeing them down 3-1 against Atlanta doesn't surprise me that much. Atlanta is a good team.

And I never bought into all the Denver hype and OKC is arguably the best team in the league so seeing them up 3-0 is not a surprise.

rufo4100
04-25-2011, 09:20 AM
To me it is the Atlanta series. Although I didnt expect LA to be tied 2-2 I am more surprised that Atlanta is up and will probably win the Orlando series. I am not at all surprised at the San Antonio series just bc of Manu being dinged up. I still think that the Spurs find a way to win that series.