PDA

View Full Version : Dwight DPOY: Is it really an open shut case?

JasonJohnHorn
04-24-2011, 07:46 PM
Over the last couple season, Dwight has lead the league in blocks with the LOWEST blocks-per average over the last 25 years (outside of the year Brand lead the league). This season three players out performed Howard in blocks per, and each player did it in fewer minutes and with a higher block-per-foul average. Of course Bogut, McGee and Ibaka don't have dunk contest trophies and the popularity of Howard, but they seem to be putting up the personal defensive stats to get themselves into the arguement, and if you look at Duncan, he's averaging more blocks-per-foul than anybody in the league and on top of if, he not only knows how to defend on the blocks, in the post and picking up guys cutting in through the lane, but he can defend on the perimeter (something Howard CANNOT do!). Even DARKO averaged more blocks-per-minute than Howard.

Of course, blocks don't tell the whole story, Perkins is a great post defender and his blocks arent that impressive, but it does seem that Howard has been out performed in some respects.

Front court defenders aside, it seems voters have been ignoring the defenders on the wing. LBJ has put in another great defensive year, as has Kobe, and neither of these guys even seem to be in the conversation. And at PG the league has been blessed with a number of great defenders, not the least of which is Rondo. Ronnie Brewer and Rondo were virtually neck-and-neck for steals-per-foul, and while CP3 lead the league in steals, Rondo, in my book, seemed to be a great one-on-one defender, and got nearly as many steals with far fewer personal fouls. And that takes a great defender. Ariza, as always, was a great defender, and CP3, Westbrook and Kidd all put in strong defensive performances, yet none of these PGs even get MENTIONED in most conversations.

I'm not saying Howard isnt one of the best defenders in the league, because he is, but I will say this. The general impression of Howard's performance this year seems to be based more on reputation than output.

My pick would be Rondo, and honestly, while most won't agree, my number two would be Duncan. These guys have tremendous defensive skills where ever they are on the court, and cause bad shots and turnovers without racking up fouls. Anybody can swat and block a guy (Joel Anthony) or throw their hands in the mix to get a steal (Stephan Curry), but who can do it without racking up the fouls? And no offence to Curry, he's trying hard and finding his way in the league, so its expected that he'll rack up fouls trying to get steals.

I'd rather have Duncan defending anybody in the paint at center or power forward than Howard, though Howard would likely be my number two pick for the job. And there isn't anybody I'd rather have covering an opposing PG than Rondo, and that is an important skill set, even if it doesn't get the glory that a center does.

In Howard's defence, he has controlled his shot blocking more this season and in turn has been able to convert more blocks into steals (thumbs up) and a lot of his personal fouls are on the offensive end, so the blocks-per-foul numbers are a little slanted.

Thoughts?

bholly
04-24-2011, 07:59 PM
My thought is:
Dwight DPOY: Is it really worthy of another new thread?

Jewelz0376
04-24-2011, 08:03 PM
When the blocks per foul is calculated is it only defensive fouls or are offensive fouls counted also?? I would assume if it's a actual site you got it from it would be defensive fouls...but if you just did the math yourself you might have over looked this...

I can't see Rondo being Dpoy of the year when he's not even the dpoy on his own team....KG is more valuable defensively than Rondo...

Most of the other candidates for Dpoy have some good defenders around them...D12 really doesn't have any yet the team is a top defensive team....Take D12 off that team and they would be one of the worst defensive teams in the league

D12 is one of the most dominant big man defenders in recent history when you look at his impact on the defensive end for his team...Only guys in the last 20 years that are better are probably Hakeem, Mutumbo, and Ben Wallace...

If D12 was on a team like Chi or Bos with other good defenders around him they would rank as one of the all time great defenses...

ragee
04-24-2011, 08:11 PM
All I need to ask you is do you know anyone who is a good or maybe even decent defender in a Magic uniform other than Dwight? Now look at where the Magic ranks in defense...

Hustlenomics
04-24-2011, 08:13 PM
is there a stat that shows how many deflections Rondo has this year?

ManRam
04-24-2011, 08:16 PM
Name me one other Magic player that's an above-average defender. I'd argue they all are below average besides Quentin Richardson.

Okay, now realize that the Magic consistently are a top 3-5 defense.

That's all there is to say.

5ass
04-24-2011, 08:46 PM
Name me one other Magic player that's an above-average defender. I'd argue they all are below average besides Quentin Richardson.

really, that is all there is to say. i think dwight is the clear DPOY and nots really debatable, rondo is not even the best defensive player on his team, garnett is

iggypop123
04-24-2011, 08:56 PM
rondo is probably the worst defender of his starting 5.

gwrighter
04-24-2011, 08:59 PM
is there a stat that shows how many deflections Rondo has this year?

they should really add deflections into the box score.

What?
04-24-2011, 10:05 PM
didn't you make this exact same thread a couple of weeks ago?

LakersMaster24
04-24-2011, 10:34 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/Star_Trek_-_In_Before_the_Lock.gif

JNA17
04-24-2011, 10:41 PM
actually yes, it is open shut. Anybody that argues that fact is an idiot. No offense.

Raph12
04-25-2011, 01:43 AM
Watch the Magic play and then tell me that if Dwight wasn't on the court how they'd be a Top 3 defense... As open and shut as any case for any award could be.

rufo4100
04-25-2011, 09:30 AM
Well deserved.

ttam68
04-25-2011, 01:48 PM
Since when are blocks/steals per foul valuable stats? And all those guys that rack up steals gamble to get them. Dwight sits back and controls the paint.

gilly
04-25-2011, 07:44 PM
Since when was defensive player of the year decided by blocked shots?

The reason why he has less blocks is simply because teams are more fearful of driving into the paint against the Magic because they have the Empire State Building hanging around the rim.

evadatam5150
04-25-2011, 07:54 PM
Thoughts?

Yes he is.. Next question please...

KnicksR4Real
04-25-2011, 08:19 PM
Not even questionable noob. JK. But the case is closed

D1JM
04-25-2011, 08:20 PM

van gundy's defensive scheme? :shrug:

KnicksR4Real
04-25-2011, 08:20 PM
Since when was defensive player of the year decided by blocked shots?

The reason why he has less blocks is simply because teams are more fearful of driving into the paint against the Magic because they have the Empire State Building hanging around the rim.

english?:confused:

MiamiWadeCounty
04-25-2011, 08:39 PM
In Howard's defence, he has controlled his shot blocking more this season and in turn has been able to convert more blocks into steals (thumbs up) and a lot of his personal fouls are on the offensive end, so the blocks-per-foul numbers are a little slanted.

Thoughts?
Pun? :eyebrow:

IamKaiserSoze
04-25-2011, 09:14 PM
he's the best defensive player i've seen in a while. i can't believe this is really a thread.

Raph12
04-25-2011, 09:23 PM
van gundy's defensive scheme? :shrug:

No, a player like Rose benefits from a system seeming as how he is a lesser defender, a player like Dwight makes the system function effectively... See Hawks series, they go iso 24/7 and not one Magic defender (excluding D12) can check his man.