PDA

View Full Version : t-wolves draft in 2009 - Did they do bad?

phoenix_bladen
04-24-2011, 11:37 AM
They had 4 first rounders that year

they drafted

johnny flynn - looks like a bust
ricky rubio - whom has yet to play
ty lawson - who actually looks good
Wayne Ellington - don't know much about this guy

so they basically traded the wrong PG ....... they should have traded away flynn

imagine they redid the drafted and got jennings and curry instead?

if you're going to draft 3 pg you better draft the best ones!!!!!!!!!

WSU Tony
04-24-2011, 11:41 AM
The Wolves didn't draft Lawson.
Flynn, although looking like a bust, didn't get much playing time this year from a hip injury.
Ellington was great value at #28.
Rubio was the #2-3 talent in the draft and the Wolves got him at #6. That's a great pick.

ManRam
04-24-2011, 11:47 AM
They did draft Lawson, but traded him for a future pick.

That future pick turned into Luke Babbitt :laugh:

They did trade Babbitt for Martell Webster though. So basically, Lawson turned into Webster for them.

jockrider
04-24-2011, 12:05 PM
they could have had curry/derozan combo :pity:

DerekRE_3
04-24-2011, 12:10 PM
The Wolves didn't draft Lawson.
Flynn, although looking like a bust, didn't get much playing time this year from a hip injury.
Ellington was great value at #28.
Rubio was the #2-3 talent in the draft and the Wolves got him at #6. That's a great pick.

There's no way to know that now. Especially with how guys like Griffin, Reke, Curry look now. Jrue Holiday as well, he's sick. Hell, even Marcus Thornton, who went in the 2nd round that year, is proving he's one of the better players in that draft.

DerekRE_3
04-24-2011, 12:11 PM
They did draft Lawson, but traded him for a future pick.

That future pick turned into Luke Babbitt :laugh:

They did trade Babbitt for Martell Webster though. So basically, Lawson turned into Webster for them.

Fantastic value.

Mishmin
04-24-2011, 12:17 PM
Yeah that was a bust of a draft for them. They had 4 picks, 2 in the top 10, you have to get at least one player who isn't expendable for them.

Hellcrooner
04-24-2011, 12:19 PM
the only thing they did wrong is take Flynn with the next pick.
if they would have taken a dude for a different position Rubios agents would ahve put more effort to find a way to get the Jouventut Buy out Paid.
But they read that pick as a disrespect/lack of trust in Rubio.

AddiX
04-24-2011, 12:21 PM
Of course they did bad, it's not even a discussion at this point. They could of really built themselves a young core in one year and left with next to nothing.

cwilson21
04-24-2011, 12:22 PM
For the last time, the Wolves did not draft Lawson then trade him. The trade to DEN was already agreed upon and DEN wanted him. Rumor was that if James Johnson would've fallen to the Wolves, that Flynn/Johnson would've been flipped to SAC for Evans. Since Johnson was gone, we traded the pick.

ManRam
04-24-2011, 12:28 PM
For the last time, the Wolves did not draft Lawson then trade him. The trade to DEN was already agreed upon and DEN wanted him. Rumor was that if James Johnson would've fallen to the Wolves, that Flynn/Johnson would've been flipped to SAC for Evans. Since Johnson was gone, we traded the pick.

Yes, but the did draft him, and then they did trade him. Sure, they never were going to keep him, but this is nit-picky. Obviously they wouldn't draft 3 PGs to keep all three of them.

Slimsim
04-24-2011, 12:29 PM
Curry and Derozan would had been good in Minny

Then draft Demarcus Cousins

curry
Derozan
Beasley
Love
Cousins

KnicksR4Real
04-24-2011, 12:39 PM
Curry and Derozan would had been good in Minny

Then draft Demarcus Cousins

curry
Derozan
Beasley
Love
Cousins

thats a fine lineup

hotpotato1092
04-24-2011, 12:45 PM
They screwed up, they should have taken Stephen Curry #6. They'd have Rubio and Curry. Imagine a core of Rubio, Curry, Love, Beasley, Wesley Johnson and Anthony Randolph. This isn't even that far off, IF THEY GET ONE PICK RIGHT THIS IS WHAT THEY HAVE!!!!! That's a really dangerous team once they hit their primes. Just flip Wesley Johnson or Randolph for a true center and they're set.

John Walls Era
04-24-2011, 12:48 PM
Draft Rubio/Curry
Draft Derozan
Then draft DeMarcus Cousins or if you don't like his issues then draft Greg Monroe.

Rubio/Curry
Derozan
[This years pick]
Love
Monroe/Cousins

Playoff team in 2012-13

KnicksR4Real
04-24-2011, 01:06 PM
That draft pissed alot of people off

HouRealCoach
04-24-2011, 04:22 PM
Wesley Johnson havent been to bright either...

Flynn was the dumbest idea they could have made, but its hard to pass up on him after that 6OT game he had...

Also they couldve traded the 5 & 6 pick for the 2nd lol

DwayneMVPwade
04-24-2011, 04:42 PM

thats why i'm glad they screwed up

Chronz
04-24-2011, 05:49 PM
Yes, but the did draft him, and then they did trade him. Sure, they never were going to keep him, but this is nit-picky. Obviously they wouldn't draft 3 PGs to keep all three of them.

He's not nit picking, he's simply pointing out that you shouldn't give credit to kahn for doing what another gm told him to.

TomTerrific
04-24-2011, 05:56 PM
Hind sight is 20/20.. Being a Wolves fan has been tough as of late, just got to be patient.

Lake_Show2416
04-24-2011, 06:16 PM
they didn't pick Lawson, the Nuggets did. The Wolves just made the told the draft who the Nuggets wanted

....but anyways that draft was terrible for the Wolves. They drafted 2 players of the same position which disinterested Ricky Rubio even more to coming to the team, he thought the FO was stupid & didn't know what they are doing, which I agree with

Rubio is coming to the NBA but now the Wolves are stuck with 2 PG's

i thought at the time they should have taken which ever PG they liked more between Rubio or Flynn, then take either Steph Curry or Jordan Hill

John Walls Era
04-24-2011, 06:24 PM
Curry and Demar would be an extremely sick combo (in future). Hard to defend Kahn's moves...

mttwlsn16
04-24-2011, 06:24 PM

this

the wolves ****ed up bad

and who the hell takes 3 PGs :laugh:

Kobes a Killer
04-24-2011, 06:28 PM
Draft Rubio/Curry
Draft Derozan
Then draft DeMarcus Cousins or if you don't like his issues then draft Greg Monroe.

Rubio/Curry
Derozan
[This years pick]
Love
Monroe/Cousins

Playoff team in 2012-13

Wow, I like threads like this. I had no idea that this was a possibility. EPIC FAIL MINNESOTA

John Walls Era
04-24-2011, 06:33 PM
This isn't even in hindsight... people were questioning the moves during the draft.

PS: why was Mchale fired?

Hawkeye15
04-24-2011, 06:57 PM
yawn, another Wolves bashfest. I have never seen a bad team get crapped on so much. Oh well, the maturity of PSD lives on....

JWO35
04-24-2011, 07:05 PM
I think the Minnesota Timberwolves are the butt of jokes around here...but hey that's what happen when they continue to make bad Front Office decisions.

I'll give the T-Wolves credit, they do have the groundwork of a young team with Love, Johnson, Beasley, etc.

Kashmir13579
04-24-2011, 07:07 PM
We'll have to wait and see how Rubio turns out for them. Obviously Flynn was a poor selection but it happens to every team.

The same thing will happen to whoever takes Kemba.

Kashmir13579
04-24-2011, 07:09 PM
yawn, another Wolves bashfest. I have never seen a bad team get crapped on so much. Oh well, the maturity of PSD lives on....

:laugh:

just wait for it. Rubio to Wes Johnson all day.

John Walls Era
04-24-2011, 07:15 PM

just wait for it. Rubio to Anthony Randolph all day.

TO to the CHI
04-24-2011, 07:15 PM

Not for nothing, but your response here is one of the least mature in the thread. You added no content and ignored the fact that the thread poses a legitimate question.

The reality is that draft could have turned the franchise around. It still might (particularly once the Rubio saga gets going), but that is a big question at this point.

goblazers7
04-24-2011, 07:37 PM
Fantastic value.

Cant forget, Wes Matthews.

He's the one of only few 2009 NBA draft players playing in the playoffs.

He's also the only one who has hit over 25 points.

magichatnumber9
04-24-2011, 07:42 PM
that draft class was very weak.

Crackadalic
04-24-2011, 07:47 PM
that draft class was very weak.

Wait till you see 2011

jimbobjarree
04-24-2011, 08:05 PM
He's not nit picking, he's simply pointing out that you shouldn't give credit to kahn for doing what another gm told him to.

so basically the best pick he made that year, wasn't even his decision...figures.

Hellcrooner
04-24-2011, 08:57 PM

just wait for it. Rubio to Wes Johnson all day.

Rubio to love all day.

Would be good if they could trade beasley and randolph to Memphis for Marc Gasol.

76erEaglePhils
04-24-2011, 09:17 PM
Rubio to love all day.

Would be good if they could trade beasley and randolph to Memphis for Marc Gasol.good one :facepalm:

Hawkeye15
04-24-2011, 10:18 PM
Not for nothing, but your response here is one of the least mature in the thread. You added no content and ignored the fact that the thread poses a legitimate question.

The reality is that draft could have turned the franchise around. It still might (particularly once the Rubio saga gets going), but that is a big question at this point.

I have added enough content over the past 2 years to fill a Tokken novel on this subject bro. Would you like me to educate you on this subject as well?

AddiX
04-24-2011, 10:21 PM
I have added enough content over the past 2 years to fill a Tokken novel on this subject bro. Would you like me to educate you on this subject as well?

Poor hawkeye,

You are a true fan, Ill give ya that.

Hawkeye15
04-24-2011, 10:23 PM
Poor hawkeye,

You are a true fan, Ill give ya that.

and you are a complete negative nancy, I will give you that.

Am I happy with the recent results of the Wolves? No. Can I crap on some guy who knows squat about the team I follow for 82 games? Yep.

AddiX
04-24-2011, 10:27 PM
I wasn't being negative, I was giving you a compliment since you stay having to defend your team by yourself.

Hawkeye15
04-24-2011, 10:37 PM
I wasn't being negative, I was giving you a compliment since you stay having to defend your team by yourself.

I know brother, and I appreciate it.

Chronz
04-24-2011, 10:38 PM
so basically the best pick he made that year, wasn't even his decision...figures.

Yup it was too good of a move for him to make on his own. When I saw the name and the team he gor traded to it all made sense.

Raps18-19 Champ
04-25-2011, 12:17 AM
They could have had Derozan and Curry with those picks.

2 players who looked really good this year.

SeoulBeatz
04-25-2011, 12:25 AM
Yeah, no matter how you flip it, wolves ****ed that draft up. They still have a very good young nucleus though, but it could've been great; can't deny that.

Chest Rockwell
04-25-2011, 12:54 AM
Yeah they ****ed up. We'll have to see how Rubio turns out for them.

Hawkeye15
04-25-2011, 01:27 AM
Flynn was a horrendous pick. The Lawson trade smells bad on paper. Until the Rubio pick is a reality, whether is be him suiting up, or the Wolves getting an asset for him, the draft can't be fully graded.

Fact is, if we revisited the majority of the NBA teams drafts, and picked apart their picks, we would all share a laugh. That is living in hindsight, which is a place for those who are negative, and like to live after the fact.

29$JerZ
04-25-2011, 01:30 AM
It will always be dumb to take the exact position in consecutive order until proven otherwise. Minny will regret taking Flynn the most.

76erEaglePhils
04-25-2011, 02:25 AM
Yeah they ****ed up. We'll have to see how Rubio turns out for them.Sure did they don't have a clue on what the draft means or how to utilize it. I bet they take another pg again in this years draft lol.