PDA

View Full Version : How much are the contracts of Hedo and Arenas going to hurt the Magic going forward

spreadeagle
04-23-2011, 05:09 PM
With his less then stellar playoff play so far Hedo is set to make about 30 million over the next three years and Gilbert Arenas set to make about 72 million over the next 4 years "not positive if he has 3 or 4 years left" how much is that going to hurt the Magic going forward? Especially when you factor in that both these guys best days are behind them and will most likely be in steady decline in the next few years.I think they really shot themselves in the foot with respect to resigning Dwight next year,and say what you want about Vince he really helped them in the playoffs last year.
Arenas stats http://www.nba.com/playerfile/gilbert_arenas/
Hedo stats http://www.nba.com/playerfile/hidayet_turkoglu/

hgtiger32
04-23-2011, 05:18 PM
brutal.

i don't know any other way to put it. it's not attractive for potential free agents

Jewelz0376
04-23-2011, 05:18 PM
It will probably cost them D12..with those contracts it's not like they can really sign any big time free agents...As a LA fan I appreciate it if it means they get D12

ManRam
04-23-2011, 05:22 PM
A lot...

The Gil trade was terrible; the only contract that makes Lewis' look like a bargain.

Anon
04-23-2011, 05:29 PM
My vote is for a lot. Gil in particular is going to kill us.

Jewelz0376
04-23-2011, 05:29 PM
Arenas can still maybe get back to being a good player... I doubt he'll get back to the prime arenas...but he still doesn't seem 100% healthy....If he spends the off season doing more rehab for his knee that would help...He also seems little too heavy...He might need to go on a diet and lose some body fat...Losing a little weight would help his knee and quickness also..

If Gil really wants to revive his career he needs to work his butt off this summer

5ass
04-23-2011, 05:31 PM
a lot

TheDiggler
04-23-2011, 05:32 PM
Sux heavy.

Its d12 or bust.

assisi805
04-23-2011, 05:33 PM
Tonsssss

idrinkpepsi
04-23-2011, 05:34 PM
Both are terrible contracts, it will come back to hurt them.

Rndy
04-23-2011, 05:35 PM
Isn't JJ making a decent amount after the Magic decided to match his contract offer sheet? They should have kept Barnes I wanted JJ!!!

blastmasta26
04-23-2011, 05:35 PM
Earlier this year, the Magic had one bad contract in Shard, now they have two in Hedo and Gilbert. It basically kills any chance of upward mobility for the next 2-3 years for Orlando, and I don't like to speculate, but the likelihood of Dwight's departure has increased.

YoungOne
04-23-2011, 05:44 PM
they are hurting them already ;)

5ass
04-23-2011, 05:48 PM
they really shot themselves in the foot when they took gilbert, i mean why would u take on some1 earning 20 million if hes not even healthy and u have dwight considering leaving next season, dumb move by otis. also the whole trade with phx was dumb, we could have gotten a much better deal than hedo and j-rich. we could have actually brought in some1 who could be our 2nd option. we gave away gortat and vince's expiring for basically nothing.. oh and btw VC>J-Rich

Geargo Wallace
04-23-2011, 05:49 PM
I keep wondering why they traded for Gilbert. They had just received Richardson and Hedo. Why not just keep Lewis and replicate what they had done in the finals 2 years ago? Now their financial position looks like ****, and they don't seem to be stacked w/ great up-and-coming talent like other teams. It doesn't seem to be a very good place to stay if you're Howard. He's going to have a tough decision this summer. Otis is going to have to work some magic this summer to turn it around.

North Yorker
04-23-2011, 05:49 PM
If they are smart then they will include one of them in a D12 trade should they move him.

Jewelz0376
04-23-2011, 05:53 PM
If they are smart then they will include one of them in a D12 trade should they move him.

x2

Slimsim
04-23-2011, 06:04 PM
should had went to ZBO

IceMan360
04-23-2011, 06:09 PM

:clap:

spreadeagle
04-23-2011, 06:32 PM
I keep wondering why they traded for Gilbert. They had just received Richardson and Hedo. Why not just keep Lewis and replicate what they had done in the finals 2 years ago? Now their financial position looks like ****, and they don't seem to be stacked w/ great up-and-coming talent like other teams. It doesn't seem to be a very good place to stay if you're Howard. He's going to have a tough decision this summer. Otis is going to have to work some magic this summer to turn it around.

"work some magic" I like what you did there :clap:

Geargo Wallace
04-23-2011, 06:35 PM
"work some magic" I like what you did there :clap:

I didn't even see it when I wrote it lol. When I reread it I noticed it, but I wasn't about to write "no pun intended lawlz"... I'm not THAT gay.

1-800-STFU
04-23-2011, 06:41 PM
They're another Detroit Pistons(IE 2 terrible contracts screwing everything up for a long time).

Once D12 leaves they'll be terrible for a very long time unless Arenas has a serious resurgence.

hugepatsfan
04-23-2011, 06:50 PM
They won't hurt ORL... they'll kill that team. They're eating up cap to the point that I think Dwight is certain to leave.

justinnum1
04-23-2011, 06:52 PM
total killers.

jimbobjarree
04-23-2011, 06:56 PM
If Dwight leaves they will be at Cleveland Cavaliers status until those 2 are off the books

jimbobjarree
04-23-2011, 06:57 PM
maybe this new bargaining agreement could help them out?

5ass
04-23-2011, 07:00 PM

it most likely will

jockrider
04-23-2011, 07:01 PM
really they should have just kept hedo the first time they ended trading for him anyways man thats bad they shouldn't have traded courtney lee they just shook up the whole team and messed with something that was working.

THE MTL
Orlando just has MANY bad contracts. Gilbert Arenas contract is a franchise killing contract. And what makes it so bad is that the Magic just recently shed Grant Hill's terrible contract about 3 years ago....now they get another one?

And Hedo SUCKS! Magic let him go cause he wanted too much before, so they basically change their minds?

And even JJ Reddick's contract! The Bulls overpaid for the RFA thinking that he'll be theirs and Magic matched such an expensive deal for him

iggypop123
they will be forced to trade hedo with dwight either to la or salary dump in brooklyn. i think a trade with the nets wouldnt count against their salary cap whereas la they have to take salary back

iggypop123
04-23-2011, 07:02 PM

could help them keep dwight or force him to stay whatever way you see it but not make them a title contender. even if they have a no penalty to luxury tax and get to waive arenas they still have to deal with his cap number

Hangtime
04-23-2011, 09:01 PM
DAMN.....Arenas makin that much. He got over. No way he gonna work on improvin himself, the guy is set the next four years guaranteed. To bad this aint the NFL.

Spurred1
04-23-2011, 09:54 PM
Arenas is a real head scratcher. I get that Otis Smith wanted to try some different things, but why Arenas? Simply to get rid of Rashard's contract? Everyone and their mother knew that Arenas was a massive risk. The knees and declining play...
These contracts probably have really hung the Magic going forward.

Trueblue2
04-23-2011, 09:57 PM
The only way they can seriously compete in the years to come is to trade Dwight and force another team to take one or both of their contracts in the deal. If not they're a perennial 4/5 seed and 1st to second round exit until those contracts expire. It sucks that it's gonna cost them dwight but it's nobody's fault but their own. Rebuild time for Orlando if they're smart, 2 years of mediocrity + 2 years of lottery and then rebuold mode of they're dumb.

Lim
04-24-2011, 12:41 AM
in b4 otis smith gets fired

Wade>You
04-24-2011, 12:54 AM
It's funny that people blame the players and current CBA for putting a franchise in a bind when you have GMs like Otis Smith running his best player out of town with poor decision making.

The best thing any GM could is what Riley did: put all your contracts to expire the same time your best player does. At least you're not screwed with an Arena or Turkoglu when your best player is a Free Agent and doesn't think this team can contend.

JPHX
04-24-2011, 01:18 AM
Lol someone actually said VC>J-Rich. No way in hell man.

Hedo for Gortat and a 1st? what was otis smith thinking?

gwrighter
04-24-2011, 01:24 AM
It's funny that people blame the players and current CBA for putting a franchise in a bind when you have GMs like Otis Smith running his best player out of town with poor decision making.

The best thing any GM could is what Riley did: put all your contracts to expire the same time your best player does. At least you're not screwed with an Arena or Turkoglu when your best player is a Free Agent and doesn't think this team can contend.

Not everybody get's to benefit from the foresight granted by collusion.

heat aside.

Otis Smith really dropped the ball on this one. i can't see any team willing to take arenas in a deal for howard. Turk maybe, he isnt as bad a production per $ player as Arenas.

Raph12
04-24-2011, 03:01 AM
To add to it, Stan refuses to play through Dwight, I really can't see Dwight staying... Especially if we have a 1st round exit.

Chronz
04-24-2011, 05:51 PM
This trade proves why you should wait til the deadline.

Chronz
04-24-2011, 05:54 PM
Lol someone actually said VC>J-Rich. No way in hell man.

Hedo for Gortat and a 1st? what was otis smith thinking?

He's talking about the vince he saw vs the jrich that showed up in orlando without nash.

In other words hes right