PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts On Atlanta?

JasonJohnHorn
04-23-2011, 08:56 AM
Last season the Magic man-handled the Hawks. I dont think there was a close game in the series. There are sweeps were the losing team is competative (like the Pacers against hte Bulls, who have been in every game), but last year, as talented as the Hawks were, they looked like a college team against Orlando.

This year there is a huge turn-around. The Magic have a roster that is as talented (though I think they miss Matt Barnes and his high energy plays) as last years, yet they seem to be floundering?

So what is the change from a season a go? Does Atlanta's coaching change make that much of a difference? Or is there something Orlando had last season that they are now missing?

Just curious how fans in general are seeing this series? All do respect to Atlanta (who I am pulling for), but I am completely surprised at how well they are doing against Orlando.

wmudford
04-23-2011, 09:37 AM
I'm actually not surprised at all. Orlando doesn't have anybody that matches up well with Smith this year and nobody can guard JJ. Magic just doesnt have the chemistry this year

Minimal
04-23-2011, 10:08 AM
Well all Atlanta players, with the exception of Josh Smith, choked last year in the playoffs. They came to play this year and you can see it. I won't be surprised if they beat Orlando in 1st round and Bulls in east semis. Kirk defending Rose, Smith defending Boozer, Horford on Noah, should be a good series against Bulls if they beat Orlando. They have a great team and a great core of Joe Johnson, Josh Smith and Al Horford. All this guys can make a lot of noise in the playoffs.

ChitownSports16
04-23-2011, 11:06 AM
not surprised...

Chronz
04-23-2011, 11:14 AM
This Magic team has Turk

He always sucks

ugafan
04-23-2011, 11:14 AM
Last year Mike Woodson ran iso plays literally every time we had the ball. We're playing more team basketball now but still run stupid iso sometimes.

tcav701
04-23-2011, 11:32 AM
i think they are a 5 seed.

JB0B0
04-23-2011, 11:55 AM
Well all Atlanta players, with the exception of Josh Smith, choked last year in the playoffs. They came to play this year and you can see it. I won't be surprised if they beat Orlando in 1st round and Bulls in east semis. Kirk defending Rose, Smith defending Boozer, Horford on Noah, should be a good series against Bulls if they beat Orlando. They have a great team and a great core of Joe Johnson, Josh Smith and Al Horford. All this guys can make a lot of noise in the playoffs.

I would be SHOCKED if they beat us in the semis. We beat the hell out of Atlanta this year and had it not been for a choke job by the Bulls in one of the games, we would have swept the season series.

reffahead
04-23-2011, 12:33 PM
Kirk defending Rose, Smith defending Boozer, Horford on Noah

Actually Zaza should get the nod at 5. It would be

Zaza - Norah
Al - Boozes
JS - Deng
Joe - Bogans HUGE advantage for atl
Hinrich - Rose HUGE advantage for chi

Marvin Williams is an overweight, overpaid sob. Deng has just owned him in the regular season and Josh would match his production to equalize that match up. Horford matches up beautifully with Booze.

So the guard match up is the wild card in my mind's eye.

Muttman73
04-23-2011, 12:46 PM
I think they match up well against the Heat, Atlanta is a "team" Miami is just a bunch of egos fighting for attention.

An up and coming team for sure, hope to see them vs Bulls in second round.

reffahead
04-23-2011, 12:57 PM
I would be SHOCKED if they beat us in the semis. We beat the hell out of Atlanta this year and had it not been for a choke job by the Bulls in one of the games, we would have swept the season series.

Smooove injured his knee by spraining it on march 1st. He missed the first bulls game and came back in a week when you're suppose to rest it 2-4 weeks...

He and Horford have been plagued with ankle/knee/elbow injuries for the past 2 months until now. They look fairly injury free going against orlando and hopefully both chi and atl can battle fully healthy. Orlando will take this series to 7 games and Howard will pay the piper playing 46 mins. a game.

Now that it's only two days of rest for the final 3-4 games of the series, he will not hold up as strong as he should for game 6 and 7 especially when atlanta is throwing EVERYONE 6-9 and taller taking turns fighting him.

leftymo
04-23-2011, 02:43 PM
Atlanta basically tanked the season. Their 2-1 lead against Orlando says more about how Orlando isn't good as it does about Atlanta.

Neither team will make it past the 2nd round, so its academic anyways. But there are a few people around the country including media that are over-rating the Magic thinking they are coming out of the east. But historically #4 seeds do NOTHING in the NBA... its a death slot.

Atlanta doesn't have a prayer against Chicago in the next round... so basically this is just a fodder matchup.

assisi805
04-23-2011, 02:45 PM
They are for real this year (at least the first round)

KingPosey
04-23-2011, 02:52 PM
It is not the Hawks taking a step up, because they havent. Its the magic making a drastic roster change that hasnt worked out.

Sadds The Gr8
04-23-2011, 02:55 PM
This Magic team has Turk

He always sucks
couldnt say it better myself

KingPosey
04-23-2011, 02:56 PM
Atlanta basically tanked the season. Their 2-1 lead against Orlando says more about how Orlando isn't good as it does about Atlanta.

Neither team will make it past the 2nd round, so its academic anyways. But there are a few people around the country including media that are over-rating the Magic thinking they are coming out of the east. But historically #4 seeds do NOTHING in the NBA... its a death slot.

Atlanta doesn't have a prayer against Chicago in the next round... so basically this is just a fodder matchup.

you completely misused that word.

hawks4
04-23-2011, 06:34 PM
Guys, give the Hawks some credit. They're playing well against a team who is better than them and giving NBA fans a hell of a series. If Orlando's roster changes is the reason the Hawks are winning this series then so be it. Maybe they should wake up and make some better decisions. As a Hawks fan, it's nice to see my team doing well even though there have been very dismal games this season and in the past several years. So for those who just love to give the Hawks a bunch of crap just give it a rest. Don't be the typical columnists at ESPN who constantly say,"Hawks are playing well, but won't go anywhere."

KingPosey
04-23-2011, 09:50 PM
Last season the Magic man-handled the Hawks. I dont think there was a close game in the series. There are sweeps were the losing team is competative (like the Pacers against hte Bulls, who have been in every game), but last year, as talented as the Hawks were, they looked like a college team against Orlando.

This year there is a huge turn-around. The Magic have a roster that is as talented (though I think they miss Matt Barnes and his high energy plays) as last years, yet they seem to be floundering?

So what is the change from a season a go? Does Atlanta's coaching change make that much of a difference? Or is there something Orlando had last season that they are now missing?

Just curious how fans in general are seeing this series? All do respect to Atlanta (who I am pulling for), but I am completely surprised at how well they are doing against Orlando.

Guys, give the Hawks some credit. They're playing well against a team who is better than them and giving NBA fans a hell of a series. If Orlando's roster changes is the reason the Hawks are winning this series then so be it. Maybe they should wake up and make some better decisions. As a Hawks fan, it's nice to see my team doing well even though there have been very dismal games this season and in the past several years. So for those who just love to give the Hawks a bunch of crap just give it a rest. Don't be the typical columnists at ESPN who constantly say,"Hawks are playing well, but won't go anywhere."

Those are the questions the OP asked, and you acknowledged. If you dont like the responses to the direct question, then dont read them man.

And to the last line, if its the truth its the truth. Dont tell people to just think the hawks will go all the way. The truth is they wont. Its really weird that you thought your post was appropriate.

hawks4
04-24-2011, 03:54 AM
Those are the questions the OP asked, and you acknowledged. If you dont like the responses to the direct question, then dont read them man.

And to the last line, if its the truth its the truth. Dont tell people to just think the hawks will go all the way. The truth is they wont. Its really weird that you thought your post was appropriate.

:facepalm:

What's really weird is you claiming that I told "people to just think the hawks will go all the way". I never said anything close to that. I'm defending my team my man. That's what fans do when people attack their team year after year. Guess I was wrong.

AllBall
04-24-2011, 07:31 AM
Hey, if the Hawks beat Orlando they clearly deserve it an should have been the #4. They are more focused and seem to want it more. I just want them to have a good, hard fought series in the second round as well. Make it entertaining!

hawks4
04-24-2011, 11:30 AM
Hey, if the Hawks beat Orlando they clearly deserve it an should have been the #4. They are more focused and seem to want it more. I just want them to have a good, hard fought series in the second round as well. Make it entertaining!

Very true. This has been one hell of a series and I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens with the next few games. I think it's safe to say that over the past two years these two teams have developed quite an interesting rivalry.

FutureGM
04-24-2011, 11:52 AM

Oh now I just want them to win even more because of your last paragraph.

hawks4
04-24-2011, 05:46 PM
Oh now I just want them to win even more because of your last paragraph.

Hahaha I'm glad somebody sees how ludicrous his accusation was. :clap:

Bruno
04-24-2011, 05:55 PM
They've surprised me. I didn't give them a chance in this series. I was wrong. They've played with a lot of heart.