PDA

View Full Version : What do the Knicks need to do in order to contend?

Wade>You
04-22-2011, 09:53 PM
Some things I noticed:

- The Knicks do not have a homecourt advantage. In fact, they have a homecourt disadvantage. Players seem to have good games or some of their best games in MSG. Pierce, KG, Rondo and Allen had great games tonight and the Celtics played worse at home than they did tonight.

- Carmelo must reinvent his game. He's a good rebounder and facilitator. He doesn't put a lot of pressure on the defense and bails them out when he's not hitting his jumpshot. He should be posting up where he can pick apart the defense and be in position to rebound or running pick-n-rolls where he can open up their 3pt shooters or Amare.

- Amare should be handling the scoring load and needs plays to get him the ball in a spot he can do something with it. His points are far more efficient than Melo's points. And when Amare's hot, the Knicks can focus their energy on other areas like rebounding or defending.

- Mike D'Antoni has to go. The perception that his style of offense and lack of defense doesn't win championships, along with the inability of the Knicks to get at least 1 win in 3 games, is tough to overcome. The Knicks need to abandon their current identity.

NJ Raven
04-22-2011, 09:56 PM
Play defense, get a young PG (no disrespect to Billups, but they need a long term answer CP3?) and get a Dalumbert-type C.

blahblahyoutoo
04-22-2011, 10:01 PM
the melo acquisition was a poor fit for the team.
size and rebounding at the C position is what they need. melo is not the answer.

ManRam
04-22-2011, 10:03 PM
Fill out that roster...right now it's not a full roster.

Maybe get a new head coach, or at least a defensive-oriented assistant.

ManRam
04-22-2011, 10:05 PM

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-22-2011, 10:08 PM
Get a defensive coach. Get more depth.

ayuntalo
04-22-2011, 10:09 PM
Some things I noticed:

- Carmelo must reinvent his game. He's a good rebounder and facilitator. He doesn't put a lot of pressure on the defense and bails them out when he's not hitting his jumpshot. He should be posting up where he can pick apart the defense and be in position to rebound or running pick-n-rolls where he can open up their 3pt shooters or Amare.

cant really judge by this game, first of all they dont really have a well constructed team right now (team got broken up on the melo trade) and secondly, melo was forced to play point which we all know isnt known for, he even had some terrible passes that translated to TO if not a boston layup. also douglas is good player but at times he doesnt know what he is doing when he is asked to run the point so it would be hard to position yourself and be ready to score, you may have to do a lot more

- Mike D'Antoni has to go.

thank you. a Rick Adelman or a Jerry Sloan will do. but if its Mike Brown or Mark Jackson, no thank you

PhillyFaninLA
04-22-2011, 10:13 PM
Carmelo Anthony, Amare Stoudamire, Terrel Owens, Randy Moss, Chad OchoJohnson, and other borderline hall of fame or hall of fame players don't win titles. Its not a coincidence. These types of players are unquestionable elite and unquestionably among the best at what they do. They have things in common. They are so talented and have great workout routines that they put up amazing stats. None of that is bad. They are also self serving players, they put the needs and desires of themselves above winning and would rather pad there stats then sacrifice for a teammate.

edit: Kobe and any championship caliber players would have fouled in game 2 it wouldn't matter how tired they where or what was going thru there head, focus and passion and desire would have had them foul without being told. Not trying to start a fight with Knicks just reinstate the point I'm making above. :end edit

The Suns could have won a title, Denver could have won more games, and the 18 - 0 Patriots lose with Moss. These players are all fantastic but they are all me guys. I have said quite a few times that you don't win TITLES with great stat guys that put themselves first.

The Knicks will win a ton of games with these guys and they may even make a finals but well I explained my opinion and observation that seems consistent across all sports above.

ayuntalo
04-22-2011, 10:14 PM

i agree. they need to construct a real team and not a bunch of players decorated by stars.
i prefer a defensive oriented assistant than a defensive head coach, for some reason i have watched JVG houston team and their offense is stagnant. add that to a effecient offensive coach like Adelman or sloan and thats a good formula to start with.

btw, i dont blame D'antoni he tried.

llemon
04-22-2011, 10:15 PM
Obvious answer is a Center and a PG.

But with Amare and 'Melo on the team, they need particular types of Center and PG that are compatible with Carmelo's and Amare's games, which in themselves aren't really compatible.

And a sharpshooting SG that can also handle the ball and pass wouldn't hurt.

gotoHcarolina52
04-22-2011, 10:16 PM
More D. [insert "i gave your mom more d last night!" joke here]

THE MTL
04-22-2011, 10:17 PM
We need a franchise PG and a bruiser type center who rebounds and blocks shots and gives us toughness.

THE MTL
04-22-2011, 10:19 PM
Here are my suggestions, if you're interested (http://192.20.225.36/tts/speech/f3ae69dceb06e6daa988ce08e2344012.wav)

LMFAO!!!! Yo seriously though.....HEAT better WHOOPPPP the Celts @$$!!!!!! Lebron James is still one of my favorite players.

DoMeFavors
Need a miracle LMFAO

Crackadalic
Before we even get to the roster the 1st thing that has to change is the coach. A coach that doesnt preach defense and doesnt keep players accountable when they don't play defense is asking for failure. Im too mad to get into how we can fix the roster.

Hawkeye15
04-22-2011, 10:20 PM
Knicks fans know me. I will be brutally honest here.

Fire D'Antonio. Hire a coach that slows the pace up and cares about defense.
Fill out the roster with efficient long range shooters, and big men who can defend.
Get a PG who can defend, and simply distributes with good usage and low turnover rate.
Depth. Players who can come off the bench and hold their own.

Hawkeye15
04-22-2011, 10:22 PM
The Knicks are on their way to being very good again. I understand there are a lot of haters on this site, but the Knicks FINALLY have made good decisions over the past 10 months. They have 2 very dynamic offensive players now, and simply need to fill out the roster. They could use a coach who cares about the other side of the floor as well

JB0B0
04-22-2011, 10:25 PM
New coach. New PG (Chris Paul or Deron Williams). New C (solid defender/rebounder). Additions to the bench.

THE MTL
04-22-2011, 10:26 PM

Fill out the roster with efficient long range shooters, and big men who can defend.
Get a PG who can defend, and simply distributes with good usage and low turnover rate.

rhymes with a bis call?

beltran15mets
04-22-2011, 10:26 PM
Trade for Danilo Gallinari

DoMeFavors
04-22-2011, 10:29 PM
New coach. New PG (Chris Paul or Deron Williams). New C (solid defender/rebounder). Additions to the bench.

Good One....

knickerbockerny
04-22-2011, 10:31 PM
The Knicks need to stop worrying about the future and work on now. Acquiring CP3 or Dwight Howard is a pipe dream. If I'm the gm I work as if they are not coming. No need to conserve salary. Plus if those guys do move it would be via a blockbuster trade. The Knicks can always try an put together a package if and when they become available

Knicks Offseason wishlist

1) Exercise Chauncey Billups buyout option and use that money to try and tempt a legit center (Deandre Jordan, Marc Gasol, Dalembert)

2) Make sure you draft either Kemba Walker or Brandon Knight. Kyrie Irving is too far out of reach. Like the Jets did with Mark Sanchez, the Knicks need to trade up a couple of picks from their 17th pick and get one of the two. A package of 17th pick + TD or Fields + 3 million should entice a lottery team to move out.

3) Acquire a veteran shooting guard. Fields is not the answer at that position, he is not even a shooting guard in any way shape or form.

4) Don't offer an extension to Turiaf and hope he chases greener pastures somewhere else for a longer deal (not picking up is option). The only Knick free agent that should be picked up is Shawn Williams. Sign a completely new team, bring character and veteran leadership.

5) Last but certainly not least fire Mike D'Antoni. Hire a coach who actually calls plays, makes in game adjustments, manages his timeouts correctly, does not have player favorites (Jeffries, Gallinari, Duhon, etc. etc.), can communicate with his players (Nate saga, Steph saga, Curry saga, Derrick Brown, Darko, Corey Brewer, etc. etc.) preaches defense.

THE MTL
04-22-2011, 10:32 PM
Trade for Danilo Gallinari

Sad part about it is that....there are ppl on our forum that actually would? And honestly believe that we'd be contenders

Redbull
Play Defense, get more depth.

topdog
Get Dwight Howard and put together the video game fantasy of Howard-Amare :drool:

Hangtime
They need to get better defensively and that starts with the coach. Been saying it all year. Dantoni will not the the coach to get this team to play defense consistently. Unless they fix that they will be at best second round playoff teams.

h2r09
04-22-2011, 10:33 PM
They would be a great fit for Nene and then they need an upgrade at sg. if i were them i would try to talk grant hill into a role off the bench. he is my serious free agent sleeper this year.

Scarified
04-22-2011, 10:33 PM
1. Fire Mike D'Antoni
2. Acquire some type of bench
3.??????
4. Profit

Becks2307
04-22-2011, 10:34 PM
Sad part about it is that....there are ppl on our forum that actually would? And honestly believe that we'd be contenders

no one said that on our forum dude.

llemon
04-22-2011, 10:35 PM

Danilo still needs to grow a pair.

HuRRiCaNeS324
04-22-2011, 10:36 PM
Im tired of people saying CP3 to the Knicks. They arent even close CAP wise.

Kashmir13579
04-22-2011, 10:39 PM
Better shooters and Marcus Camby.

DoMeFavors
04-22-2011, 10:39 PM

Everyone wants to play for the Knicks he will take the Vet Min.

ayuntalo
04-22-2011, 10:40 PM
Knicks Offseason wishlist

Make sure you draft either Kemba Walker or Brandon Knight.

please no:(
we have a lot of chuckers already.
we dont need another tony douglas.

knickerbockerny
04-22-2011, 10:45 PM
please no:(
we have a lot of chuckers already.
we dont need another tony douglas.

If the Knicks had a good coach that does not promote quote un quote "chuckers" their would be no darn chucker problem. You think Pop is letting one of his Spurs get out of hand shooting and shooting and shooting? Hell no! This all goes back to the coach for promoting that type of behavior.

With the right coaching one of those two players can become what the Knicks have been missing at the pg position.

Slimsim
04-22-2011, 10:45 PM
I agree with hawkeye we done the hard part now it just a matter of getting serviceable Role palyers

xxplayerxx23
04-22-2011, 10:46 PM

It all depends on how The new CBA turns out. Billups sheads a good 14 million off,I think going all for one player even paul is a mistake. Id rather get a big man and some bench pieces.

Toxeryll
04-22-2011, 10:47 PM
a whole team

xxplayerxx23
04-22-2011, 10:48 PM
Good One....

Deron williams went on the site saw you writing and decided he is going to leave after next year.

Vee-Rex
04-22-2011, 10:49 PM
PGs they can target for the 2011 Offseason that might be good fits:

Delonte West
TJ Ford
Mike Bibby
J.J. Barea

C's they can target for the 2011 Offseason that might be good fits:

Yao Ming
Tyson Chandler
Samuel Dalembert
Nazr Mohammed

Get rid of every 2011 free agent except for Shawne Williams. The 2011 point guards aren't that great so a combination of West and TD might work until 2012 along with a Chandler or something as the center. Fill out the rest of the roster with hard-nose quality players.

Lastly, GET A NEW COACH. Do all of the above and the Knicks could possibly contend for a title next year.

Punk
04-22-2011, 10:52 PM
We simply need a nice young PG to develop. Douglas is clearly not going to become one.

We need some size. A big guy like Marc Gasol or pulling a Miami and signing a bunch of serviceable bigs that can be used in a rotation. We need to bring over some of the overseas players we are scouting and signed.

But most importantly, we need better shooters. We are interested in Anthony Parker (Who would be huge). Eventually we will get teams do double on Amare or Melo and we need an effective shooter and Fields simply doesn't get the job done anymore.

We need a NEW COACH. I have no problem with D'antoni and his system. He preaches defense and you saw we played it consistently the last 2 games.

The problem with him is he is TERRIBLE at rotations and subs. He has two guys on his bench that provided a smart defneisvely and offenseively and he refuses to play them.

Shelden Williams is the type of big, you can use in the playoffs. Unlike Jeffries who is terrible but he refuses to use him.

Anthony Carter helped us in the 2nd but he doesn't play the rest of the game and Melo plays Point Forward and got nothing out of it considering we couldn't score with any other role players.

We have an easy job of building a contender. Even with Amare out, the Knicks went out a 7 game win streak. Goes to show how good we are in the regular season. If we upgrade in every possible way, we would become unbeatable.

That's funny since our GM says we will have enough cap room (depending on the CBA). All of the cap-ologists say we should have more than enough room to trade for Paul.

Don't be in denial about it.

MSU4life
04-22-2011, 10:54 PM
Sign Dalembart

Crackadalic
04-22-2011, 10:55 PM

Probably the best answer. thanks hawkeye

llemon
04-22-2011, 11:05 PM
Better shooters and Marcus Camby.

Camby yes, but only if Ponce De Leon is part of the deal that brings Camby to the Knicks.

yanksknicks
04-22-2011, 11:11 PM
Two Centers (7 +)
One back-up PF (6'11)
Two NBA caliber SG, one a starter
One starting PG

Only guys I see staying besides Amare and Melo are Douglas, Fields and Williams.

Knicks gutted the team in February and it shows. They got some serious scraps playing minutes.

mdm692
04-22-2011, 11:15 PM
Kinda off topic and might be considered baiting(its not) but why when miami heat gets big 3 its ok but if knicks or any other team do it then they dont have cap room or its a mistake or theyre goin to suck

oak2455
04-22-2011, 11:20 PM
Need a miracle LMFAO

Who let 24&58 out???? Troll of all Trolls:clap:

llemon
04-22-2011, 11:21 PM
Kinda off topic and might be considered baiting(its not) but why when miami heat gets big 3 its ok but if knicks or any other team do it then they dont have cap room or its a mistake or theyre goin to suck

Heat have Lebron and Wade. Really just the big two. Bosh is just a very good PF.

Knicks have Amare and 'Melo. Do you see the difference?

oak2455
04-22-2011, 11:21 PM
New coach...depth...new PG:D

assisi805
04-22-2011, 11:25 PM
Depth

northsid3r
04-22-2011, 11:29 PM
A center like Chandler would be nice. and maybe a pointguard.

Lakerhead4ever
04-22-2011, 11:34 PM
well to me the big factor is whether they decide to keep billups or not

1. amare and melo needs to spend some time together over the summer, learn each others game and what they want to do, they kind of seem at odds.
2. keep billups!

zB_#85
04-22-2011, 11:36 PM
1. Fire Dantoni
2. Add depth

it's pretty plain and simple

BGeer091
04-22-2011, 11:36 PM
I believe we need a new coach. However I don't think he gets replaced anytime soon. So i'm gonna say get Mike Brown as an assistant head coach.

Dream Scenario
1. Chris Paul
2. Micheal Redd
3. Greg Oden

Draft
Faired

Poor mans scenario
Dalembert
Sessions
J.R Smith

jimm120
04-22-2011, 11:42 PM
First thing? get rid of Mike D"antoni.

You can't have a team play so mismatched on the defensive end by having 1 PG, 3 SF, and 1 PF on the floor at all times. Yes, it gives the "3 point shooters" he wants, but the defense...the defense.

well, that's the first thing.

gqjatt209
04-23-2011, 12:16 AM
What do the Knicks need to do in order to contend??

1. Melo needs to read "Ballhawking for dummies" and share the ball instead of trying to hard to be a hero all the time. You can see how happy Denver is to get rid of his ballhawking only "ME" mentality.

2. Somehow get CP3 to the team.

3. Draft Bismack Biyombo with the 17th pick. They are really not gonna find a superstar at 17th with the weak draft. Might as well take the best defensive player in the draft and watch him swat away, really don't need to worry about his offense right now.

4. Sign Samuel Dalembert and JR Smith.

There u have a championship team!

Chi StateOfMind
04-23-2011, 12:26 AM
1.)Fire Mike D'Antoni(someone buy him the coach for dummies book please)
2.)Add a true center
3.)Re-sign Billups
4.)Add depth to the bench
5.)Instill "D" to these players since they have all been brainwashed by Mike D

OaklandsFinest
04-23-2011, 12:27 AM
I think a coaching change for a guy like Mark Jackson wouldnt be bad... I think if you get a center like Tyson Chandler would be a good fit with this team, or try and trade Amare for Howard if Orlando thinks they can't keep him. But honestly a more realistic answers are Chandler, or DeAndre Jordan (who is a restricted free agent) and a wing who can score/ defend like Jason Richardson/ Mickeal Petrus, Josh Howard type wing, or Aaron Afflalo. I would like to see them try and trade for a first this year. But even if the hold on to this current roster and they want to add surrounding help opposed to making wholesale changes, a guy like Sam Young (good defender), Tayshaun Prince a lock down defender who can hit a spot up shot.

OaklandsFinest
04-23-2011, 12:32 AM

LOL because Miami's big three has the 2 best players in the league on it??? If Bosh wasn't such a flamer then Miami would have won 60 +

netsgiantsyanks
04-23-2011, 12:33 AM
get a new coach, decent supporting players, and some big man presence. personally, i'd rather have one star, a couple of developed starters, at least one defensive presence, and a decent big man rather than two stars, one decent player and a whole bunch of has-beens to say the least, IMHO.

mttwlsn16
04-23-2011, 12:45 AM
theyre close, add a defensive type C, fill out that bench, and probably replace d'antoni

AIRMAR72
04-23-2011, 12:56 AM
trade carmelo to da magics for howard or da nets brook lopez and sweet talk deron williams to play on the brightest stage at MSG with amare and howard

DamnGoat
04-23-2011, 01:00 AM
They need to get rid of D'Antoni. That'd be a step in the right direction.

A defensive minded C and pass first PG would help as well.

iggypop123
04-23-2011, 01:48 AM
given the threat of a lockout and a new cba it is difficult to predict what can be done because you have the possibility of things like a hard cap 2 mle per team franchise tags etc. but given todays rules and cba they should waive billups and try to resign him. that opens up about 13 million in salary. they can then go after a center which they desperately need. turiaf and others provide depth off the bench but thats all they are. a guy like gasol(marc) deandre jordan or samuel dalembert would be great and they can legitimately sign one of them. nene is a candidate if he is available. after that its try to resign billups and finding role players, with the MLE available to them. they can lure someone with 6 mil per year and dolan has no problem paying the tax.

stlbest5in2013
04-23-2011, 02:01 AM
d'antoni takes offense to people mouthing is lack of defense. they play so fast, they dont need it. thats his excuse, he said teams score more because they have more possessions. no teams score more, because they shoot a god like FG% against his teams.

kmo429
04-23-2011, 02:06 AM
MIke D'Antoni makes this team average. Too much talent on the Knicks to get swept in thew first round of the playoffs 9cause they will be). Once the team starts plying D (and they dont cause D'Antoni doesnt coach them at it.. at all) they will be a dynamic enough team to contend for a title

ohreally
04-23-2011, 02:16 AM
Well, first we have to hope Amare's back doesn't become a chronic condition. Then, yeah, we need a good young point guard, a good defensive center that rebounds, and an entire bench. We might also need a coach who is defensive minded, but we have two guys that are pretty much going to be on the floor most of the time and neither is really more than occasionally interested in defense, so I'm not sure that is really going to help. Not to mention that getting the bench and the pg and the center is not going to happen very quickly. With $40 million a year tied up in offensively oriented players we pretty much are going to have to play to outscore the competition. Seems to me we're pretty committed to getting a third star and hoping that that will cover up our other deficiencies, but if we max another guy we're essentially over th cap with 3 guys. 'Tis a conundrum.

ohreally
04-23-2011, 02:21 AM
MIke D'Antoni makes this team average. Too much talent on the Knicks to get swept in thew first round of the playoffs 9cause they will be). Once the team starts plying D (and they dont cause D'Antoni doesnt coach them at it.. at all) they will be a dynamic enough team to contend for a title

The dynamism comes from two front court players who aren't exactly committed to playing defense, and I don't see a new coach being able to change that. How many centers are there that can really be a team's entire defense?

nolin
04-23-2011, 02:38 AM
umm knicks can use a center a pg a sg and a bench. honestly they have a lot of work to do. i dont think dantoni will be back either. hes not the right coach for the job. they need a defensive minded coach. mike brown anyone?

nolin
04-23-2011, 02:41 AM
the melo acquisition was a poor fit for the team.
size and rebounding at the C position is what they need. melo is not the answer.

really? come on man melo is a good fit. they just need pieces around him. a defensive minded center would be great for them.

More-Than-Most
04-23-2011, 02:49 AM
Trading for Melo did not help them very much and hurt their future. As a sixer fan I love that they went out and got him and stated they would not be a threat come playoff time because of their defense. Getting rid of the coach would only be a baby step... This team is in trouble because they are paying 2 big time stars top dollar and both guys are basically 1 dimensional. Max contract guys should be able to play both ends of the court and neither can. Anthony was a bad route to go for this team and now they will pay for it in the long run.

Exciting regular season team to watch with no shot come playoff time. This team needs a ton of help and basically have to pray for a young player emergence or a steal.

More-Than-Most
04-23-2011, 02:50 AM
really? come on man melo is a good fit. they just need pieces around him. a defensive minded center would be great for them.

Getting those pieces and filling out their bench will be damn near impossible because of the money paid to their top players. I still say D Will would have been a much better fit. Melo was not a good fit for this team.

Wade>You
04-23-2011, 03:13 AM
What good coaching candidates are out there?

One of the Van Gundy brothers comes to mind.

championships
04-23-2011, 03:20 AM
A good coach And surround Melo and Amare with a shooter or two.
A couple of defensive guys would be huge also. Knicks can score but when it comes down to getting a series of stops, they don't cut it.

championships
04-23-2011, 03:23 AM
What good coaching candidates are out there?

One of the Van Gundy brothers comes to mind.

Rick Adelman
Jerry Sloan

JPHX
04-23-2011, 03:38 AM
Only PG that can run that system is Steve Nash.

Cromedome
04-23-2011, 04:22 AM
The Knicks need a point guard, shooting guard and a center who can make a shot in the lane while blocking shots/defense.

Other than that...we're going to be just fine.

Crackadalic
04-23-2011, 04:52 AM
Getting those pieces and filling out their bench will be damn near impossible because of the money paid to their top players. I still say D Will would have been a much better fit. Melo was not a good fit for this team.

We still have Jerome Jordan who's overseas and a legit 7 footer and our draft pick. If we want to we can choose to decline Billups option and sign FA's in 2011 and fill out the roster or trade him to give another team more cap space if they choose to decline Billups. We can also wait till 2012 to get players. Maybe not a CP3 but we have enough cap space to still sign quality FA's since that FA class is stronger then 2011. So no it is not impossible to fill out this roster with good role players to surround Amare and Melo.

More-Than-Most
04-23-2011, 05:53 AM
We still have Jerome Jordan who's overseas and a legit 7 footer and our draft pick. If we want to we can choose to decline Billups option and sign FA's in 2011 and fill out the roster or trade him to give another team more cap space if they choose to decline Billups. We can also wait till 2012 to get players. Maybe not a CP3 but we have enough cap space to still sign quality FA's since that FA class is stronger then 2011. So no it is not impossible to fill out this roster with good role players to surround Amare and Melo.

CP3 as good as he is would not be the answer. They would have a big 3 but they would be in cap hell. It would be almost similar to the heat trio but with players that are not as good but make more money. How much money do the knicks have to play with in the off season?

magichatnumber9
04-23-2011, 06:14 AM
Sign Rajon Rondo

Crackadalic
04-23-2011, 06:31 AM
CP3 as good as he is would not be the answer. They would have a big 3 but they would be in cap hell. It would be almost similar to the heat trio but with players that are not as good but make more money. How much money do the knicks have to play with in the off season?

I'll be the 1st to say that i don't want CP3 as crazy as that sounds. Most of us knick fans know that depth is far more important then trying to get a big 3. Billups has a 14 mil team option so if we decline we have about 10+ mil in cap space for the summer if need be. If we wait till 2012 we have around 13-14 mil in cap space if we decline TD option or don't sign Fields. 2012 FA class has a stronger cast of role players and starters i would love to get.

Again this is obviously all speculation since we have no clue what the New CBA would look like but it isnt impossible to get some nice role players to surround Amare and Melo

O and Firing Mike Will help the cause

gilly
04-23-2011, 06:39 AM
Trade Amare for Dwight Howard. I'm sure the Magic would bite at that in a sign and trade.

Evolution23
04-23-2011, 06:51 AM
D'antoni needs to go! It all starts there!

meloman1592
04-23-2011, 06:59 AM
It depends on what the knicks want to do. If they wanna get into the "big three" system then they should pick up billups contract, and have another mediocre season next year then sign cp3 in '12. But if they want a team then they should decline billups option, draft a young pg,sign a legit big or 2 and go after a 2guard in the mold of jamal crawford or jr smith. Landry fields looks worse than jeffries out there

JasonJohnHorn
04-23-2011, 08:48 AM
All the Knicks need is a decent center rotation, a PG rotation to replace Billups. A shooting guard, and a back up shooting guard, move Fields to the bench to backup forward minutes, a PF and SF that are better a defence, and coach that actually knows how to teach and impliment solid defence, and back-up power forward and... I think that's about it.

nycericanguy
04-23-2011, 09:11 AM
Listen if you told anyone before this series started that NY would be playing without Amare and without CB and essentially their lineup would be

JJ
Melo
Williams
Walker
TD

Well everyone would say NY had absolutely no shot and would get blown out and rightfully so. Most of those guys have no business being in a playoff rotation, let alone being core guys. NY hung tough in game 2 because Melo played out of his mind, but realistically they should have been blown out, and that's what happened in game 3.

NY needs a couple of role players, no doubt, but a healthy Amare and CB would have gone a long way in this series.

mikealike305
04-23-2011, 09:15 AM
^ amare played yesterday

justinnum1
04-23-2011, 09:16 AM
Change the system first and foremost, when is the last time run and gun won a ring?

nycericanguy
04-23-2011, 09:19 AM
^ amare played yesterday

The guy couldn't even jump, he couldn't even sit down during the press conference... I think at this point he's more of a liability, it's great that he gave it a go, but Amare going 2-8 and scoring 7 points and being an even worse rebounder is not helping NY... he should just sit it out and not risk further injury.

heyman321
04-23-2011, 09:23 AM
All the Knicks need is a decent center rotation, a PG rotation to replace Billups. A shooting guard, and a back up shooting guard, move Fields to the bench to backup forward minutes, a PF and SF that are better a defence, and coach that actually knows how to teach and impliment solid defence, and back-up power forward and... I think that's about it.

Lol ! That's like saying, all the Raptors or Pistons or Wolves need is a good center, a shooting guard, a small foward, a power foward, a good point guard, as well as good backups for all those positions, and a coach that can teach defense. Yeah, that's all.

theheatles
04-23-2011, 10:55 AM
knicks fans are unlucky that their 2 superstars that they have are greedy unlike the heats superstars, no heat player took a max contract but melo and amare (being greedy) took max contracts making it pretty much impossible to add another superstar and having enough to fill out an entire roster (despite those contracts heat players STILL make more money after taxes then the knicks players) and the knicks superstars aren't as versatile, amare is a 4 melo is a 3, but lebron literally plays the 1-4 on a game to game basis and wade plays the 2 and point along with serviceable pgs in bibby and chalmers...melo finally plays defense now but he is a HORRIBLE on ball defender unlike the heat having ELITE on ball defenders...the knicks are going to be a nuisance for years to come but in the next 7 years they'll have no championships

jp611
04-23-2011, 10:58 AM
knicks fans are unlucky that their 2 superstars that they have are greedy unlike the heats superstars, no heat player took a max contract but melo and amare (being greedy) took max contracts making it pretty much impossible to add another superstar and having enough to fill out an entire roster (despite those contracts heat players STILL make more money after taxes then the knicks players) and the knicks superstars aren't as versatile, amare is a 4 melo is a 3, but lebron literally plays the 1-4 on a game to game basis and wade plays the 2 and point along with serviceable pgs in bibby and chalmers...melo finally plays defense now but he is a HORRIBLE on ball defender unlike the heat having ELITE on ball defenders...the knicks are going to be a nuisance for years to come but in the next 7 years they'll have no championships

:laugh:

KnicksR4Real
04-23-2011, 11:16 AM
I think that everyone can agree that we all need a PG and a Center....

tcav701
04-23-2011, 11:26 AM
Honestly, without even adding anyone they will play better if they defend. I know they want another star but if they can add a 6th man that can play D, a pass first PG, and some frontcourt depth they will be alot better.

On offense they should play through Amare and not Melo. IMO, Melo moving without the ball will cause more havoc for opposing D's that this LeBron impersonation he is doing at the top of the 3 point line.

Chill_Will_24
04-23-2011, 11:28 AM
prayer..

PHX2daDEATH
04-23-2011, 11:31 AM
If your're Dolan and Walsh you sell your souls to the Devil to get Jerry Sloan out of retirement...you give him the GM role too.. he'll figure it out

ChicagoFan4Eva
04-23-2011, 11:32 AM
They need to:

PLAY DEFENSE

ohh and cp3 lol

Wade>You
04-23-2011, 11:33 AM
Honestly, without even adding anyone they will play better if they defend. I know they want another star but if they can add a 6th man that can play D, a pass first PG, and some frontcourt depth they will be alot better.

On offense they should play through Amare and not Melo. IMO, Melo moving without the ball will cause more havoc for opposing D's that this LeBron impersonation he is doing at the top of the 3 point line.Agreed. They can be much better with the pieces they currently have, even with Amare and Billups being injured, just by changing some of the things they do and ways they play.

I'm surprised most people are saying they need to fill out other positions or that Melo and Amare just flat out can't get it done. While the former may be true, it can be said about many other title contending teams.

ChicagoFan4Eva
04-23-2011, 11:36 AM

wow :clap:
oh wait..
:facepalm:

tcav701
04-23-2011, 11:38 AM

I love how Heat and Bulls fans make every thread about their teams. This is about the Knicks you dope.

Chill_Will_24
04-23-2011, 11:40 AM
:laugh:

You can laugh but thats a pretty fair assessment... They simply are paying too much for two players that are not winners. Melo has never proved that he can win in the NBA. In fact, hes a choker. Amare was on a tear before Melo arrived. Now he's struggling to find his place in an offense that clearly now revolves around Melo FIRST then Amare. They do not compliment each other. Two superstars playing together would be the best combo when they compliment each other.

Stars that need the ball: Wade, Kobe, Lebron, Pierce, Paul, Dwill, Amare etc.

Stars that dont nessesarily need it: Garnett, Allen, Bosh, Howard, Rip Hamilton etc

Allen's specialty is running off screens, catch and shoots and spotting up so having Pierce dominate the ball is no problem while Garnett handles the defense and the post play. Thats why they work so well together. I guess it doesnt hurt that they have a top 5 pg that is primarily a playmaker and plays off of them.

Melo is a volume scorer and Amare is in the same mold exceot a lot more efficient because his shots usually come near the basket. They do NOT compliment each other and whether they make the mistake or not, getting CP3 will only hurt the cause further. Marc Gasol would be far more beneficial to them.

NBA-GMaster
04-23-2011, 11:40 AM
get a new coach and find a starting center..

JWO35
04-23-2011, 11:41 AM
Resend the Carmelo Anthony Trade

ChicagoFan4Eva
04-23-2011, 11:42 AM
I love how Heat and Bulls fans make every thread about their teams. This is about the Knicks you dope.

i said defense and cp3
oh and a new coach
and a new system

they need a new city lol brooklyn knicks!
o0o0o0o haha
new york nets(mets,jets).. haha thatd be cool

ChicagoFan4Eva
04-23-2011, 11:43 AM
You can laugh but thats a pretty fair assessment... They simply are paying too much for two players that are not winners. Melo has never proved that he can win in the NBA. In fact, hes a choker. Amare was on a tear before Melo arrived. Now he's struggling to find his place in an offense that clearly now revolves around Melo FIRST then Amare. They do not compliment each other. Two superstars playing together would be the best combo when they compliment each other.

Stars that need the ball: Wade, Kobe, Lebron, Pierce, Paul, Dwill, Amare etc.

Stars that dont nessesarily need it: Garnett, Allen, Bosh, Howard, Rip Hamilton etc

Allen's specialty is running off screens, catch and shoots and spotting up so having Pierce dominate the ball is no problem while Garnett handles the defense and the post play. Thats why they work so well together. I guess it doesnt hurt that they have a top 5 pg that is primarily a playmaker and plays off of them.

Melo is a volume scorer and Amare is in the same mold exceot a lot more efficient because his shots usually come near the basket. They do NOT compliment each other and whether they make the mistake or not, getting CP3 will only hurt the cause further. Marc Gasol would be far more beneficial to them.

no love for mvp rose?

theheatles
04-23-2011, 11:45 AM

yeah because i didn't mention the knicks at all :rolleyes:

comparing and contrasting the heat with the knicks is fair because the knicks seem to be copying the heats model

Chill_Will_24
04-23-2011, 11:46 AM
no love for mvp rose?

Sorry bout that.... i was just speedin thru them top of the head. Rose is an obvious star the needs the ball but that why he works so well with Boozer and Noah. They dont require the ball. The Bulls are so complete that its scary and truth be told they only have ONE star. Not three. I would love for them to take the chip this year

nycericanguy
04-23-2011, 11:49 AM
^ boozer is an all-star, deng & noah are borderline although i think Noah def makes the AS teams going forward being that there are no centers anymore.

the last team to really be contenders with only 1 legit star was PHI with Iverson... iverson had an aging Mutombo and little else.

unwantedplayer
04-23-2011, 12:05 PM
Need a miracle LMFAO

heh..........

jonline87
04-23-2011, 12:08 PM
If they cut Jeffries, I think they could win the next 4 games.

futureman
04-23-2011, 12:11 PM
They blew they're chances when they traded for melo. This is why in 3 years, maybe less, the knicks will be in the same damn shape they were when they had marbury on the team. Maybe next time they will wait to get a player like that in free agency. H e was going to go to New York anyways so the ball was in their court.

jp611
04-23-2011, 12:11 PM
Why they cut Corey Brewer is just mind-boggling... he would have been great for this team

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-23-2011, 12:13 PM
trade melo

Chill_Will_24
04-23-2011, 12:16 PM
^ boozer is an all-star, deng & noah are borderline although i think Noah def makes the AS teams going forward being that there are no centers anymore.

the last team to really be contenders with only 1 legit star was PHI with Iverson... iverson had an aging Mutombo and little else.

Couldnt disagree more. Noah is NOT an all star and if he ever made it its because of, as you said theres a lack of centers. Deng is def not an all star. They are both just great complemantary players. The Bulls are doing this thru great coaching and defensive foundemantals FIRST then because of their star Rose who is just a phenom. The Nets had only one star in JKidd before they got Carter.

nycericanguy
04-23-2011, 12:34 PM
Couldnt disagree more. Noah is NOT an all star and if he ever made it its because of, as you said theres a lack of centers. Deng is def not an all star. They are both just great complemantary players. The Bulls are doing this thru great coaching and defensive foundemantals FIRST then because of their star Rose who is just a phenom. The Nets had only one star in JKidd before they got Carter.

guess it depends on what you mean by star... if you mean SUPERSTAR then yes CHI has only 1. But if we're talking all-star players then CHI has 3, maybe 4. Noah is an All-star, he's top 5 at his position, obviously he wouldn't be an all-star in the Ewing, Shaq, Hakeem era...etc... but thats another debate.

Does BOS have a SUPERSTAR? I don't think their guys are really superstars anymore, but they have 4 all star types or borderline all star like Ray Allen.

NJ is a good example, although K-Mart was an all star back then before the injuries, but not a superstar.

KnicksorBust
04-23-2011, 12:48 PM
They really aren't that far away and this series should be a sign of that.

1. A shotblocker who, unlike Jeffries and Turiaf, can catch a basketball, turn around, and dunk it.
2. Improved PG play on both ends.
3. More Chemistry. Let's not forget this team was thrown together with less than half a season left and has had to deal with injuries to 2 of its 3 best players. Give them time to get used to playing together and the team will just naturally improve. The Heat had their hiccups early in the year and they had a whole offseason.

WashHeightsO
04-23-2011, 12:56 PM
[QUOTE=DoMeFavors;17612901]Everyone wants to play for the Knicks he will take the Vet Min.[/QUO

Make the playoffs then u can talk

vantroi775
04-23-2011, 12:56 PM
lol all they need is a PG, a SG, a C, a BENCH, a COACH, and for their two "stars" to play DEFENSE. Other than that, they should be ok. Right? :rolleyes:

Chill_Will_24
04-23-2011, 12:58 PM
guess it depends on what you mean by star... if you mean SUPERSTAR then yes CHI has only 1. But if we're talking all-star players then CHI has 3, maybe 4. Noah is an All-star, he's top 5 at his position, obviously he wouldn't be an all-star in the Ewing, Shaq, Hakeem era...etc... but thats another debate.

Does BOS have a SUPERSTAR? I don't think their guys are really superstars anymore, but they have 4 all star types or borderline all star like Ray Allen.

NJ is a good example, although K-Mart was an all star back then before the injuries, but not a superstar.

I dont think Noah is a star by any stretch of the imagination and neither is Deng. Noah can be argued for in the top 5 C but only because his peers suck so bad. If Brook Lopez has progressed even a little from last year and hadnt gotten so sickly from mono he would be an all star this year and same for Bogut.

FadeAwayLikeMJ
04-23-2011, 01:03 PM
N
e
w

c
o
a
c
h

nycericanguy
04-23-2011, 01:15 PM
I dont think Noah is a star by any stretch of the imagination and neither is Deng. Noah can be argued for in the top 5 C but only because his peers suck so bad. If Brook Lopez has progressed even a little from last year and hadnt gotten so sickly from mono he would be an all star this year and same for Bogut.

I said Deng was borderline, and he is. A solid defender, 18ppg, 6rpg 3apg on 46% FG as the 3rd or 4th option on the NBA's best team is pretty impressive and certainly all-star worthy depending on the year.

You are underrating Noah, put him on NY and NY is a 55-60 win team and legit contender, he's a big a difference maker. And yes there is a lack of centers but when you're top 3 or top 5 at your position you are pretty good.

Frantico
04-23-2011, 01:18 PM
Simple. Get either Dwill or CP3 and they would be contenders for years.

Chill_Will_24
04-23-2011, 01:45 PM
I said Deng was borderline, and he is. A solid defender, 18ppg, 6rpg 3apg on 46% FG as the 3rd or 4th option on the NBA's best team is pretty impressive and certainly all-star worthy depending on the year.

You are underrating Noah, put him on NY and NY is a 55-60 win team and legit contender, he's a big a difference maker. And yes there is a lack of centers but when you're top 3 or top 5 at your position you are pretty good.

Noah is a system player. A role player. Hes great at what he does but it doesnt make him top 5 at his position. From what ive seen of Deng, even calling him borderline is a stretch. Its much easier to be productive when playing off such a phenom in Rose

ne3xchamps
04-23-2011, 01:51 PM
they need better role players, mostly a younger PG, maybe a true C. and oh yeah a new coach!

nycericanguy
04-23-2011, 01:53 PM
Noah is a system player. A role player. Hes great at what he does but it doesnt make him top 5 at his position. From what ive seen of Deng, even calling him borderline is a stretch. Its much easier to be productive when playing off such a phenom in Rose

Can you name 5 centers better than him?

I have

Howard
Bogut
Noah
Lopez
Nene

Unless I'm missing someone? And I wouldn't call him a "system player", I think there are about 25 teams that would gladly put him as their starting center in ANY system.

BALLER R
04-23-2011, 02:14 PM
1 Young pg
2 defensive center
3 legit 3 pointer shooter(with melo and amare you will need someone that can knock them down consistently)
4 new coach
5 depth

if they add all those this off season im positive they will be contender next year

Chill_Will_24
04-23-2011, 02:41 PM
Can you name 5 centers better than him?

I have

Howard
Bogut
Noah
Lopez
Nene

Unless I'm missing someone? And I wouldn't call him a "system player", I think there are about 25 teams that would gladly put him as their starting center in ANY system.

Thats a decent list except i have it like this

1.Howard
2.Bynum
3.Bogut
4.Nene
5a.Lopez
5b.Noah

Also i can only think of a few that he would definitely start with at C

Knicks
Sixers
Raptors
Heat
Rockets and
Wolves

And these teams would start him because they lack anyone decent at the position, not because he's so great. The rest of the teams either have someone that he'll have to outplay for the starting job or dont need him at all. He is a garbage man. He's a taller version of Kris Humphries and a skinnier Anderson Varejao without the excessive flopping.

Noah is a good player and fits the Bulls perfectly but hes not an elite C. In fact NONE of my top 5 centers are elite except Howard obviously but because the league is so thin at C they make the top 5

assisi805
04-23-2011, 02:47 PM
Could have this year or at least put up a fight with boston if not for the billups injury

jeter4president
04-23-2011, 02:52 PM
I think, in this order -

Point Guard
Coach
Center
Time.

D-Leethal
04-23-2011, 03:01 PM
The Bulls got swept last season but after they improved their glaring weaknesses (perimeter shooting, post scoring) in the offseason they won 60 games and are a contender. We need to address our need for a defensive/rebounding C (Jeff Foster, Dalembert, Varejao type), a 3 point shooting 2 guard (take a shot with Mike Redd/Mike Dunleavy perhaps), and get some vets who can consistently score on the bench (I would like to keep S.Williams, Walker, and sign Grant Hill and another guy who would consider vet min), and a PG who can run the offense off the bench (Arroyo type)......I think we should consider trading our pick and maybe packaging it with Fields to see what we could get

Going to be interesting to see if we stick with Billups or buy him out and use the cap space to go after a C. The first domino will be Donnie being extended or not and than the rest will fall including coach and personnel decisions.

BGeer091
04-24-2011, 01:18 PM
I really wish we could have kept Anthony Randolph, and still had gotten Corey Brewer. We need some high energy defensive players. I like Derrick Brown but we should have seriously kept Brewer. Also Randolph would be a better option in the same role as Jeffries. :-/

I feel like it was D'Antoni's fault that were let them both go. He pretty much refused to play Randolph, and it seems like he said he wouldnt use Brewer. He forced Walshs hand. So for me the biggest thing that needs to happen is for the coach to go. All the players except Amare, dont believe in his system. His system is a good one don't get me wrong, but when executed. The Knicks aren't executing it at all. It requires movement and spacing. The players just stand around. Also he doesnt hold anyone accountable. If a player isn't playing his part then bench him. Some times the best teaching method is tough love...

JayHunter
04-24-2011, 01:32 PM
The need a defensive minded coach , a center , and a point guard ( man I'm glad Mike D'Antoni went to New York instead of Chicago)

Punk
04-24-2011, 01:32 PM
I really wish we could have kept Anthony Randolph, and still had gotten Corey Brewer. We need some high energy defensive players. I like Derrick Brown but we should have seriously kept Brewer. Also Randolph would be a better option in the same role as Jeffries. :-/

I feel like it was D'Antoni's fault that were let them both go. He pretty much refused to play Randolph, and it seems like he said he wouldnt use Brewer. He forced Walshs hand. So for me the biggest thing that needs to happen is for the coach to go. All the players except Amare, dont believe in his system. His system is a good one don't get me wrong, but when executed. The Knicks aren't executing it at all. It requires movement and spacing. The players just stand around. Also he doesnt hold anyone accountable. If a player isn't playing his part then bench him. Some times the best teaching method is tough love...

He refused to use him after Randolph played just as bad as Jeffries did. Do you like Randolph acting like he's Odom playing PG and turning the ball over?

Randolph wanted out. Brewer wanted a bunch of playing time which he wouldn't get since had an established rotation. Brewer thought he was gonna get minutes n Dallas...He has not.

How the hell are the Knicks gonna executive with Amare injured and Billups injured?

The point of "standing around" is to get Amare the ball at the elbow and rotate to get open shots off double teams. He's clearly injured therefore, there is no way it's gonna work.

"if a player isn't playing his part then bench him"....Yet you complain about Randolph.

In the playoffs, you need everyone to contribute. Tell me one guy, who is playing terribly? The Knicks are Top 5 in bench points in the playoffs. We would have been a 50 win team if we got that in the regular season.

I also love how you don't even show any sort of love for his defensive teaching in Game 1, 2 and 3. The Knicks are a better defensive team in the playoffs compared to the regular season.

D'antoni isn't perfect but don't act like he hasn't done a great job of keeping everything together.

BGeer091
04-24-2011, 09:32 PM

He refused to use him after Randolph played just as bad as Jeffries did. Do you like Randolph acting like he's Odom playing PG and turning the ball over?

Randolph wanted out. Brewer wanted a bunch of playing time which he wouldn't get since had an established rotation. Brewer thought he was gonna get minutes n Dallas...He has not.

How the hell are the Knicks gonna executive with Amare injured and Billups injured?

The point of "standing around" is to get Amare the ball at the elbow and rotate to get open shots off double teams. He's clearly injured therefore, there is no way it's gonna work.

"if a player isn't playing his part then bench him"....Yet you complain about Randolph.

In the playoffs, you need everyone to contribute. Tell me one guy, who is playing terribly? The Knicks are Top 5 in bench points in the playoffs. We would have been a 50 win team if we got that in the regular season.

I also love how you don't even show any sort of love for his defensive teaching in Game 1, 2 and 3. The Knicks are a better defensive team in the playoffs compared to the regular season.

D'antoni isn't perfect but don't act like he hasn't done a great job of keeping everything together.

Look at what Randolph did in Minny. Your telling me he couldn't do that here? Every time he go in a game he tried to hard to earn his minutes. I just feel like Randolph was handled wrongly by D'Antoni.

After the trade the Knicks didn't have an established rotation. The Knicks have never had an established rotation. Your telling me the reason they got rid of Brewer is because he wanted alot of minutes? Brewer should have been our legit wing defender. He deserved minutes. I'd like to see how things played out with Brewer as our 2G instead of Fields. Brewer woulda been huge in this series against BOS. The talk was that Mike wouldn't use him. Thats horrible that he wouldn't even give him a chance.

As far as not executing because of the injuries. Well i'm pretty sure that doesn't have anything to do with players such as Williams, Walker, Douglas and Fields just stopping and watching Melo play. Seriously they need to be cutting and setting screens. When these players actually played like that we were damn near unbeatable. I agree the injuries hurt us in the playoffs, and I believe we would have beaten Boston. But I don't agree thats the reason players weren't executing.

Lets see who's playing terrible. Umm Douglas he looked clueless out there. The pressure got to him. Jeffries wasn't that bad. Carter should have played alot more. Walker did not play defense at all, and stood around. Williams was a bright spot. To ask me who played horrible, is seriously a dumb question. So what if our bench was 5th in scoring. Its not just about scoring. Its about ball movement, setting screens, boxing out, help defense, and making good decisions. Our bench hardly does any of this.

I'll agree our defense was better in the playoffs. I agree that D'Antoni did a good job keeping a horrible situation together. I also believe he should have been better. How is it that he doesn't have the team prepared for every possible situation? How is it that inexcusable things happen out of timeouts with him. Alley oops, and then no preparing the team to foul right away in game 2. Come on he miss used timeouts in game 1. He just plainly got out coached. He's not a great coach in my opinion.

Btw what did you say your name was?? Was it Mike D'Antoni cuz the things you said sounded like something he'd say.

eso
04-24-2011, 09:41 PM
Trade Melo and who ever else it takes to get Howard and maybe Nelson..

redsox0717
04-24-2011, 09:42 PM
A new roster

BGeer091
04-24-2011, 09:58 PM
A new roster

A core of Amare and Melo is a great one. We pretty much only have them Douglas and Fields next year. So we'll pretty much have a new roster again.

I'd like to see us pick up Walker, Turiaf, and Billups options.

We need a good draft. I'd like to buy 2 picks, a late first and early 2nd. This draft is very very important. We need to make the right picks. With our first rounder and only pick we need either of these guys.

PF Kenneth Faried
SF Chris Singleton
SF Tyler Honeycutt
SG Klay Thompson

knicks=love
04-24-2011, 09:59 PM
They really aren't that far away and this series should be a sign of that.

1. A shotblocker who, unlike Jeffries and Turiaf, can catch a basketball, turn around, and dunk it.
2. Improved PG play on both ends.
3. More Chemistry. Let's not forget this team was thrown together with less than half a season left and has had to deal with injuries to 2 of its 3 best players. Give them time to get used to playing together and the team will just naturally improve. The Heat had their hiccups early in the year and they had a whole offseason.

UGHHH. **** jeffries, he BLOWS

Everyone wants to play for the Knicks he will take the Vet Min.

Make the playoffs then u can talk

****ing DoMeFavors at his finest..

The need a defensive minded coach , a center , and a point guard ( man I'm glad Mike D'Antoni went to New York instead of Chicago)

lucky you :sigh:

ULT WARRIOR408
04-24-2011, 10:03 PM
Im a lil late this party & I have not bothered to see everyone else's opinion but I say its simple get a few more pieces via draft/FA & start playing defense.

Btw their overall rebounding could use some improvement as well.

NYYCowboys
04-24-2011, 10:04 PM
Fire D'Antoni and go from there.

KniCks4LiFe
04-24-2011, 10:15 PM
Fire D'Antoni and go from there.

What he said.

Chill_Will_24
04-24-2011, 10:24 PM
Lets put this in perspective...

Friday, April 29 is the 10 year anniversary of the last Knicks playoff win.

The Bobcats are the only other team in the NBA that has not won a playoff game in the last 10 years. They also have not existed for 10 years.

The last time the Knicks won a playoff game, the Grizzlies were still in Vancouver. Also, by getting their first two playoff wins in franchise history, the Grizzlies have two more playoff wins in the last 10 years than the Knicks have.

The last time the Knicks won a playoff game, LeBron James was a sophomore in high school. Dwight Howard was a freshman.

Neither Carmelo Anthony nor Amare Stoudemire were in the NBA.

So yea the Knicks have some work to do... i fully believe that a new coach will do wonders for them. I was really pulling for them this year cuz i feel they match up well with the Heat and couldve pulled off the upset... Celtics were too much thou

knickfan33
04-25-2011, 03:26 AM
they need a PG and a starting center.... theres plenty of FA centers next year... the pg will be tough.... might have to wait on paul....

hoping they go after dalembert...perfect for the system, defensive prescence, can run the floor....

and theres really no good PG in FA unless we can get mike connelly...or a rookie... kendall marshal maybe..

they need a PG who can drive and dish...amare,mello like to shoot.... we need someone to drive

PrestigeWldWde
04-25-2011, 04:20 AM
Hmmm...how about we start with Patrick Ewing, John Starks, Allen Houston, and Charles Oakley. :p
Nah, but honestly, I think they need some depth. A guy like Jamaal Crawford coming off the bench would definitely help them. The Knicks gave up a lot in that Melo trade. I know getting Melo and Billups would bring out more fans and give them 3 bonafide all-stars, but they gave up an awful lot to get them. Wilson Chandler is such an underrated player, Gallinari was improving drastically, and Felton was playing very well. I think the Knicks only get the better of this trade if they add some bench help so they won't have to lean so heavily on Stat and Melo. The Nuggets actually look like they are a better team now because they are sharing the ball more and getting everyone involved. Don't get me wrong, Melo is a beast, but that's just my opinion.

Khalifa21
04-25-2011, 07:53 AM
A Marc Gasol type big and a new defensive minded coach.

Chris Paul would help as well...

Heater4life
04-25-2011, 08:08 AM
What they need is some effort and intensity! The Knicks were asleep out there half the time, you would think they werent in the playoffs. For example, Carmelo on the Delonte inbounds play, are you kidding me?!?!? Im not a knick fan and i wanted to kill him. and that was their effort in all 4 games, not contesting shots, not running back. It was sad really, because it wasnt even an X and O problem.

In all honesty, from what i saw in THIS series, Amare and Melo have the most horrible drive i have seen in basketball. They thought they were going to waltz into being contenders. I hope they get a reality check in the offseason.

koreancabbage
04-25-2011, 09:04 AM
cant really judge by this game, first of all they dont really have a well constructed team right now (team got broken up on the melo trade) and secondly, melo was forced to play point which we all know isnt known for, he even had some terrible passes that translated to TO if not a boston layup. also douglas is good player but at times he doesnt know what he is doing when he is asked to run the point so it would be hard to position yourself and be ready to score, you may have to do a lot more

thank you. a Rick Adelman or a Jerry Sloan will do. but if its Mike Brown or Mark Jackson, no thank you

of course you can, you can see by the way he played in Denver.
lets just say, the grass isn't always greener on the other side

rufo4100
04-25-2011, 09:11 AM
I think they are 2 years away. I'd go after Deron WIlliams in 2 years. They also need a good center who rebounds and plays defense. and a stud SG. If somehow in 2 years they had Dwill along with a center like a kendrick Perkins and a decent SG like a Gerald Henderon/Stephen Jackson they I think they can contend. Next year they will continue to be just slightly above average.

rufo4100
04-25-2011, 09:12 AM
A new roster

I like Landry Fields...not sure he ever becomes a great player though.

nycericanguy
04-25-2011, 09:21 AM
I think they are 2 years away. I'd go after Deron WIlliams in 2 years. They also need a good center who rebounds and plays defense. and a stud SG. If somehow in 2 years they had Dwill along with a center like a kendrick Perkins and a decent SG like a Gerald Henderon/Stephen Jackson they I think they can contend. Next year they will continue to be just slightly above average.

D-Wil AND a Stud SG? I don't think they need 4 stars or a star at every position. They either need to get CP3 and a reggie evans type, cheap, dirty work big man.

OR

Forget about CP3 and use the money on 2 or 3 very solid role players.

nycericanguy
04-25-2011, 09:22 AM
I like Landry Fields...not sure he ever becomes a great player though.

hard to know what he is, before the Melo trade he was one of the best rookies, but since the trade he kind of disappeared, maybe they just need a training camp to put it together.

rufo4100
04-25-2011, 09:23 AM
hard to know what he is, before the Melo trade he was one of the best rookies, but since the trade he kind of disappeared, maybe they just need a training camp to put it together.

i think he hit the rookie wall and also had a hard time sharing the ball with Melo as Melo is more of a SF/SG type.

koreancabbage
04-25-2011, 09:31 AM
D-Wil AND a Stud SG? I don't think they need 4 stars or a star at every position. They either need to get CP3 and a reggie evans type, cheap, dirty work big man.

OR

Forget about CP3 and use the money on 2 or 3 very solid role players.

i don't think they can get CP3 with the new CBA coming out, especially with major cap restrictions.

solid role players, yes, but there are other teams beckoning these free agents like Boston, Miami, LA, OKC, Chicago as well.

Heck, they need to trade Amare or Carmelo for Dwight Howard. (pref Amare)

faze38
04-25-2011, 09:36 AM
Why is this thread even made I mean what makes me laugh even more is all of my fellow Knick fans posting in here like o we need this and that and a new coach. That's the one thing about NY they expect instant results. so let's go to what we really need.

1. Time we were not going to bet the Celtics with only 30 games together under our belts and limited practices if nobody really noticed we haven't really run any sets since the trade because our players don't know any all they do is play pick up ball against one of the most polished tams in the NBA what did u think was going to happen.

2. We need our players to be healthy because we could have put up a much better fight if our team wasn't full of hurt and injured players which was kind of weird considering that we played one of the oldest teams in the NBA and we were the ones hobbled out there.

3. A good FA and draft class this year and we are contenders I'm hoping for Kemba Walker and Deandre Jordan but even without them we will be a very good team next year!

Post No Billz
04-25-2011, 09:51 AM
I know this is a stretch, but being that Walsh hasn't been given an extension, and Phil Jackson singing his swan song in L.A., how about we make a move to bring Phil in as Pres of operations/Head Coach. Go after Marc Gasol, or even risker but yet less money spent on restricted free agent Greg Oden. I know you guys are gonna think I am crazy but if Portland lets Oden go, I would think he would be available for cheap right? Aaron Brooks/TJ Ford running the floor, Chandler playing 2. Melo @ 3, Stat playing 4 and Oden (Albiet healthy) playing center. a far stretch I know, but one can dream right?

mikealike305
04-25-2011, 09:56 AM
NY needs a new coach. they also need role playlers. also a miricle

todu82
04-25-2011, 09:59 AM
I think that they do need a new coach. Maybe a guy who has better playoff experience than D'antoni. Also sign a couple free agents this off-season. New York is a team on the rise most definitely, they just need to make a couple tweaks to their roster.

Law25
04-25-2011, 10:11 AM
Im surre its been said but what they need most is an inside presence. An player who only concerns himself with defence, and rebounding. Get an seven foot scrub in the draft who's only gift is the lack of fear of contact. Than hire Rodman to mold the kid in to an Ben Wallace type player. With that the Knicks are set. I should add I believe this is only possible with big men the perfect example is the Lakers. If you looked at Bynum's career you should have noticed you can make something from nothing with time and effort. No knock on Bynum but he was injury prone at twelve no joke, and he wasnt the most talented kid. I think his played one full year of basketball prior

Gibby23
04-25-2011, 11:59 AM
They need a defensive and rebounding C. A SG that is a pure shooter and a PG that can defend, take care of the rock, and hit open shots.

flclfanman
04-25-2011, 12:05 PM
1) Fire D'Antoni: We know defense wins championships and that's not on Mike's menu. Give an accomplished coach like Byron Scott or Avery Johnson a chance.

2) Sign CP3 or D12: CP3 is more likely but Howard would anchor that defense ASAP.

3) Tell Melo to stop playing Hero Ball, especially with Stat on the court. Teammates are there for a reason :rolleyes:

John Walls Era
04-25-2011, 12:08 PM
1) Fire D'Antoni: We know defense wins championships and that's not on Mike's menu. Give an accomplished coach like Byron Scott or Avery Johnson a chance.

2) Sign CP3 or D12: CP3 is more likely but Howard would anchor that defense ASAP.

3) Tell Melo to stop playing Hero Ball, especially with Stat on the court. Teammates are there for a reason :rolleyes:

1) Avery Johnson is coaching the Nets.

2) Not everyone wants to play in NY

3) You can't blame Melo at all, hes doing everything.

Ron Swanson
04-25-2011, 12:17 PM
Hire a defensive coordinator
Get a defensive minded big (Sammy D, Tyson Chandler)
Don’t panic, develop chemistry.
I don’t think adding another super name to this team helps; you need tough players that know their roles and don’t demand the spot light. This team can work, but I’m afraid New York will go about it the wrong way.

JordansBulls
04-25-2011, 06:22 PM
They need Rick Adelman or Jerry Sloan to coach them.