PDA

View Full Version : Does Memphis Need Rudy Gay?

beardown78
04-22-2011, 12:02 PM
I think Rudy Gay is A good young player with alot of upside but it seems like the Grizzlies team plays with better chemistry without him in the lineup for some reason. With Gay in the lineup it seems like ball movement isn't as good as it is now and suprisingly Zac Randolph has become A good passer out of the post and has shed the ''black hole'' label that plagued him earlier in his career. Should Memphis look to maybe deal Gay for more pieces or ride it out with him next season. Thoughts

Hellcrooner
04-22-2011, 12:03 PM
Not at all.

Shkelqim
04-22-2011, 12:09 PM
Wtf?

Baller1
04-22-2011, 12:12 PM
Anytime you have a player of Rudy Gay's talent, you're better off with him. I don't know why you'd think otherwise. He's their best player in the clutch and a leader as well.

I wouldn't say they necessarily need him, but having him is clearly a positive.

Hellcrooner
04-22-2011, 12:17 PM
btw randolph is INDEED StiLL a blackhole

and its not up to discussion

stats talk

http://www.basketball-reference.com/blog/?p=8847

Sadds The Gr8
04-22-2011, 12:22 PM
i don't think they do. Battier is a better fit and should start. why Sam Young starts is beyond me.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
04-22-2011, 12:25 PM
I think Rudy Gay is A good young player with alot of upside but it seems like the Grizzlies team plays with better chemistry without him in the lineup for some reason. With Gay in the lineup it seems like ball movement isn't as good as it is now and suprisingly Zac Randolph has become A good passer out of the post and has shed the ''black hole'' label that plagued him earlier in his career. Should Memphis look to maybe deal Gay for more pieces or ride it out with him next season. Thoughts

ZBo has always been a really good player. It was just the cool thing to say, that he's a cancer and blah blah blah. Those people don't know how to think for themselves or never watched Zach play to get they're own opinion.

*Silver&Black*
04-22-2011, 12:30 PM
I do find it funny that people like ESPN say the Spurs NEED Manu to win the series against an 8th seed that doesn't even have their star scorer. Why doesn't ESPN talk about the Grizz not having Rudy against a 1 seed?

tcav701
04-22-2011, 12:35 PM
Memphis has made their choices going foward. Their 3 centerpieces will be Randolph, Gay and Conley. Mayo and Gasol are on their way out, not Rudy.

Hellcrooner
04-22-2011, 12:39 PM
ZBo has always been a really good player. It was just the cool thing to say, that he's a cancer and blah blah blah. Those people don't know how to think for themselves or never watched Zach play to get they're own opinion.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/blog/?p=8847

again FACTS he IS a ballhog.

King Koopa
04-22-2011, 12:39 PM
Memphis has made their choices going foward. Their 3 centerpieces will be Randolph, Gay and Conley. Mayo and Gasol are on their way out, not Rudy.

Gasol is staying as well, why would Memphis trade him?:facepalm:

EDIT: In my opinion trade him for pg depth, a solid big man off the bench and draft picks. I rather have Allen/Shane at the SF position then Gay. Build around Gasol,Big-Z,Conley.

assisi805
04-22-2011, 12:41 PM
Can't hurt having him...

nycericanguy
04-22-2011, 12:42 PM

Z-Bo is a black hole and cancer, at least he was his 2 years in NY. i'll never forget him complaining and whining to a ref while his mad scored and he didnt even watch.

he had a career year in a contract year and led his team to 44 wins... i'm not overly impressed. when winning 44 games is the highlight of your career you are not a true star, yet MEM is now paying him like a top 5 NBA player... they will regret that deal. just 2 years ago teams couldn't GIVE him away

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REyrOBG55Qw

Sadds The Gr8
04-22-2011, 12:43 PM

he's an RFA and they already paid Gay, Conley, and ZBo this year...maybe they won't wanna pay Gasol if he asks too much?

NYYCowboys
04-22-2011, 12:44 PM
He's a ball stopper, and I think Memphis plays better team basketball without him, but the guys an elite talent, and you're never better off giving up a player like him.

THE_FLASH_21
04-22-2011, 12:44 PM
I do find it funny that people like ESPN say the Spurs NEED Manu to win the series against an 8th seed that doesn't even have their star scorer. Why doesn't ESPN talk about the Grizz not having Rudy against a 1 seed?

Manu can take over a game way better then Gay. Duncan is too old, SO the only people that score on that team is Manu and Parker. Jefferson isn't a factor as much. and Parker is a PG not a true scorer, so that makes Manu the man.

The Grizz have many people who can score. Zach, OJ, Gasol, MC but a PG. THe Grizz don't need Gay as much as the Spurs need Manu.

THE_FLASH_21
04-22-2011, 12:45 PM
Never hurts to have a super star on a already young and extremely talented team.

Hellcrooner
04-22-2011, 12:46 PM
ever heard about winning by subtraction?
a player with his own agenda may shine a lot and score a lot but be DetrimentAL to its teams success.
specially if the team has enough talented players who can score.

Basically memphis with gay and no randolph is better than memphis with both
memphis with randolph and no gay is better than memphis with both.

theres no room for TWO ballhogs disrupting the flow of the game for a team.

tcav701
04-22-2011, 12:48 PM

EDIT: In my opinion trade him for pg depth and a solid big man off the bench and draft picks. I rather have Allen/Shane at the SF position then Gay. Build around Gasol,Big-Z,Conley.

Gasol will be a free agent.

Word of advice, I would only use faceplams if I knew what I was talking about:cool:

nycericanguy
04-22-2011, 12:49 PM
When you take away a guy that has a high volume of shots teams can look better for stretches because the ball moves more. But ultimately they are better with him, just like DEN would be better with Melo, but they looked real good for a while when they traded him.

JazzAllDay-JB
04-22-2011, 12:53 PM
Z-Bo is a black hole and cancer, at least he was his 2 years in NY. i'll never forget him complaining and whining to a ref while his mad scored and he didnt even watch.

he had a career year in a contract year and led his team to 44 wins... i'm not overly impressed. when winning 44 games is the highlight of your career you are not a true star, yet MEM is now paying him like a top 5 NBA player... they will regret that deal. just 2 years ago teams couldn't GIVE him away

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REyrOBG55Qw
Year Team G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PPG
08-09 -- 50 45 35.1 0.475 0.330 0.734 3.1 6.9 10.1 2.1 0.9 0.3 2.28 20.8
09-10 MEM 81 81 37.7 0.488 0.288 0.778 4.1 7.7 11.7 1.8 1.0 0.4 2.15 20.8
10-11 MEM 75 74 36.3 0.503 0.186 0.758 4.3 7.8 12.2 2.2 0.8 0.3 2.01 20.1

Having a career year in a contract year? looks like a 20 and 10 guy for 3 years in a row.
:facepalm:

millerandco
04-22-2011, 12:59 PM
i'd much prefer gay over tony allan

ULT WARRIOR408
04-22-2011, 01:00 PM
They do seem to be playing a lil better without Gay.But I am not gonna say their better off without him though.

Chronz
04-22-2011, 01:04 PM
Yes they need him, the further up the ladder you get the more you need to have players who can create in the final seconds, specifically on the perimeter.

FadeAwayLikeMJ
04-22-2011, 01:08 PM
since they are giving the 1 seed a run for their money, one would argue they dont need him.

but for the future, i would definately say the need him.

PrettyBoyJ
04-22-2011, 01:24 PM
Memphis needs a wing go to guy and a closer which Rudy Gay is.. I would understand if you said oj mayo but Gay is there best player

Tarheels23
04-22-2011, 01:25 PM
:eyebrow:
EDIT: In my opinion trade him for pg depth, a solid big man off the bench and draft picks. I rather have Allen/Shane at the SF position then Gay. Build around Gasol,Big-Z,Conley.

Seeing how he is a free agent and Memphis can't afford to keep him.... they dont have to trade him. He will walk

KB24PG16
04-22-2011, 01:29 PM
i think gasol stays...

ElMarroAfamado
04-22-2011, 01:35 PM
They do need him badly...its just the Spurs suck and it gives the impression they dont need him. They would have probably swept the Spurs if they had him playing instead of some of these other guys

jockrider
04-22-2011, 01:41 PM
ever heard about winning by subtraction?
a player with his own agenda may shine a lot and score a lot but be DetrimentAL to its teams success.
specially if the team has enough talented players who can score.

Basically memphis with gay and no randolph is better than memphis with both
memphis with randolph and no gay is better than memphis with both.

theres no room for TWO ballhogs disrupting the flow of the game for a team.

so they're not going to miss his toughness and rebounding?

North Yorker
04-22-2011, 01:45 PM
They very well could be better off without depending on what they got back for him in a trade. He's a legit SF in this league so he has value, but he is also a black hole that isnt worth the max money he's making. Plus if they traded him for young assets + a TPE or something they could definitely bring back Gasol and could be in a better position long term.

But as of now they are just gonna be the Atlanta Hawks of the West. A core good enough to make the playoffs but not good enough to win a championship.

Wouldnt be surprised if they moved him.

Purple&Gold24
04-22-2011, 01:47 PM
They dont need him, but having him would be better :D

The Jokemaker
04-22-2011, 02:22 PM
No. Would the Bulls be better without Boozer? Lakers without Gasol? Thunder without Westbrook? Dallas without Terry?

He is arguably their most talented player and signed long term. He has made strides and continually improves as a player. Trust me, if he had signed with the Knicks or someplace like that there wouldn't be a thread saying "are the knicks better without him?"

To continue their success and have future playoff success, they will need Rudy Gay. Bottomline.

Hawkeye15
04-22-2011, 02:29 PM
they haven't seemed to miss him. I think over the course of the season, they would be worse off without Rudy, but they have a great defensive combination going with Allen and Battier that Gay would take minutes from, so its a complete tradeoff. The Grizz offense also moves a bit slower with Gay on the floor. The one area he would obviously help is late in games with his shot creation ability.

I will add, its making his deal look a bit inflated when his team is playing just as well without him. But I strongly believe they are better with Gay long term.

Chronz
04-22-2011, 02:59 PM
One quantifiable argument you anti-Gays have is that according to +/- the Grizz were better offensively without Gay on the court, their most indispensable player were Conley, Z-Bo, and Battier.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
04-22-2011, 03:05 PM
20/10 guy every night. haters go on and hate. He just signed a fat deal and he deserved it.

Chronz
04-22-2011, 03:08 PM
20/10 guy every night. haters go on and hate. He just signed a fat deal and he deserved it.

Wrong black hole

Hellcrooner
04-22-2011, 03:11 PM

i can join an nba team and make 20 ppg and 10 assits per game if the ball goes trough my hands the 48 minutes and im allowed to shoot 2 out of each 3 shots of the team.
i guess no one woudlo caere bout the 0-82 record, the 15% shooting and the negative numbers per and efficiency:D

magichatnumber9
04-22-2011, 03:13 PM
Yeah I think they could use him right now in there series.

JazzAllDay-JB
04-22-2011, 03:17 PM
i can join an nba team and make 20 ppg and 10 assits per game if the ball goes trough my hands the 48 minutes and im allowed to shoot 2 out of each 3 shots of the team.
i guess no one woudlo caere bout the 0-82 record, the 15% shooting and the negative numbers per and efficiency:D

didnt know they let 0-82 record teams in the playoffs lolol

jzero
04-22-2011, 05:06 PM

they want to keep gasol

jzero
04-22-2011, 05:07 PM

uhh no you couldn't
you would get torn a new one

tcav701
04-22-2011, 05:11 PM
they want to keep gasol

Of course they do.

But look at ZBo's, Gay's and Conley's contract. With the current cap system it would be financial suicide to resign Marc. With the new CBA, it may not even be possible.

jzero
04-22-2011, 05:14 PM
Of course they do.

But look at ZBo's, Gay's and Conley's contract. With the current cap system it would be financial suicide to resign Marc. With the new CBA, it may not even be possible.

if they trade mayo i can see it happening

tcav701
04-22-2011, 05:18 PM
if they trade mayo i can see it happening

To trade him they would more than likely have to take equal salary back, still making it unlikely to to resign Gasol.

The Grizz will have to break the bank and trade Rudy or Conley to keep Marc from the Knicks.

The Jokemaker
04-22-2011, 05:21 PM

It'd be nice if you actually had any idea what you were talking about.

Last season Gay shot LESS than 20% of the team's field goals (roughly 18.7%) and shot 46.6% FGs. This season he had improved on those numbers by shooting 47.1% FGs, had a PER of 17.8, upped his APG from 1.7 to 2.6, and improved his 3pt percentage from 32.7% to 39.6%. Oh and his effeciency was +19.72.

The player you described clearly is far from Rudy Gay.

smith&wesson
04-22-2011, 05:30 PM
yes they would win this series if they had him.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
04-22-2011, 05:38 PM

Ohhhh we gotta comedian in the house! Do it then funny guy... Cuz I'm pretty sure, (correct me if im wrong) you won't make 66 Million dollars in 4 years.

And no, you wouldn't average 20 & 10 in the NBA... Even if you were joking. Horrible joke.

SluggeR
04-22-2011, 05:39 PM
The griz are Rudy's team, don't get it twisted. If he was playing, the spurs could hang-up any chance of going to the 2nd rd.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
04-22-2011, 05:43 PM

Last season Gay shot LESS than 20% of the team's field goals (roughly 18.7%) and shot 46.6% FGs. This season he had improved on those numbers by shooting 47.1% FGs, had a PER of 17.8, upped his APG from 1.7 to 2.6, and improved his 3pt percentage from 32.7% to 39.6%. Oh and his effeciency was +19.72.

He's talkin about Z-Bo

Knickfansince97
04-22-2011, 06:49 PM
ummm no

mzgrizz
04-22-2011, 06:55 PM
i think gasol stays...

I think you are right,sir! The FO plans to keep him and he is an RFA, so if Heisley wants him(and he does); he'll keep him. Sometimes all this drool over a player who can disappear sometimes is beyond me..........

mzgrizz
04-22-2011, 07:03 PM
And I SERIOUSLY doubt Rudy Gay will be anything but a Grizz next year. He certainly helped A LOT to get us to the playoffs this year and would have been clutch in the end of game 2. As to $$$$$ in the salaries. NO ONE seems to remember we will have Marko Jaric's crazy $7 million contract coming off the books, as well as Hasheem Thabeet's(TG he is gone!!) and the one doubtful to return is OJ. Several posters that know the Grizzlies have run the numbers and it can be done.

Hellcrooner
04-22-2011, 07:27 PM

i think you didnt get the irony.

EaglePride615
04-22-2011, 08:27 PM
if they had gay they would have probably finished the 6 seed. their a hole lot better with him.

lilojmayo
04-23-2011, 06:22 AM
Memphis needs a wing go to guy and a closer which Rudy Gay is.. I would understand if you said oj mayo but Gay is there best player

First to answer, the OP's question do the Grizzlies's need Rudy Gay? Depends how you define "need". Obviously they aren't dependent on him to the point where if he doesn't play the fall off dramatic like LeBron-Cavs, Rose-Bulls, Kobe-Lakers etc etc. But Gay doesn't hurt only helps the team.

The main thing Gay brings to the table is creating his own shot and he is a good closer. He essentially is like what Granger is to the Pacers if you think about it. A scorer, but he is better defensively.

OJ Mayo is another talented player, but simply isn't being used to his strength as a Grizz which is why he has struggled coming off the bench. Hollins uses him of screens like Rip Hamilton/Ray Allen, but OJ struggles off that. Mayo is at his best with the ball in his hands in the pick and roll, but Hollins has already committed to Conley.

Last game, Hollins finally allowed Mayo to run pg, for about 4 or 5 minutes early in the 4th quarter. Let's see if we will see more of that.

One thing you have to realize that Grizzlies have a different mindset, then pre Rudy Gay injury. They are defensive team that plays passing lanes. They have taken the identity of Tony Allen. Even Mayo plays stellar defensive now ( see Game 1 on Tony Parker).

Rudy would take Sam Young out of the Rotation.

Can you imagine have a wing lineup rotation of Shane Battier, OJ Mayo, Tony Allen, Rudy Gay. Then allowing OJ to see backup PG time.

You could have on the floor possibly a very big lineup

PG: OJ 6'4
SG: Gay 6'8
SF: Battier 6'8

lilojmayo
04-23-2011, 06:24 AM
And I SERIOUSLY doubt Rudy Gay will be anything but a Grizz next year. He certainly helped A LOT to get us to the playoffs this year and would have been clutch in the end of game 2. As to $$$$$ in the salaries. NO ONE seems to remember we will have Marko Jaric's crazy $7 million contract coming off the books, as well as Hasheem Thabeet's(TG he is gone!!) and the one doubtful to return is OJ. Several posters that know the Grizzlies have run the numbers and it can be done.

Although the chances OJ gets traded are very high ( most likely to Bulls or Knicks) this off season. There is a chance that he could return if and only if Hollins allows OJ to have the backup PG time when Conley is sitting.

Hollins's let OJ see back PG time last game for the first time all year. If that trend continues I think it will increase OJ's chances of staying next season

tyfreaks brotha
04-23-2011, 11:43 AM

tcav701
04-23-2011, 11:52 AM

He's a RFA and Conley, Gay and ZBo got big contracts. Do the math before you facepalm. But then again, you probably didnt even know that Marc was a free agent so I'll give you a pass because you are mentaly deficeint.

assisi805
04-23-2011, 04:31 PM
Thunder will take him. Straight up for Eric maynor... thoughts?

mzgrizz
04-23-2011, 04:33 PM
Sorry but no.
In case I actually didn't answer the question:
Not only yes, but HELL YES !!! WE NEED RUDY !