PDA

View Full Version : Stern Open To Adding Replay Official

Cool007
04-22-2011, 10:46 AM
Stern Open To Adding Replay Official
:clap:

That is the best thing done by Stern IMO. I still don't know why he waited this long to even say that. We need to have it. I would love that to happen as a fan.

David Stern is open to adding a dedicated replay official as well as allowing coaches to throw challenge flags in the final two minutes of games.

“The officiating has been how officiating is,” Stern said during a stop on his playoff tour at Game 3 between the Heat and 76ers. “We have this issue. We have humans that officiate our games and they don’t catch everything. But they’re the best at what they do.”

The opening week of the playoffs included several controversial calls, including one in which Oklahoma City’s Kendrick Perkins was incorrectly credited with a basket in the Thunder’s 102-101 victory over the Nuggets in Game 1 of their series due to a missed basket interference call. The league office issued a statement acknowledging the mistake, but a blatant trip by the Celtics’ Kevin Garnett against the Knicks’ Toney Douglas – helping to free Ray Allen for a deciding 3-pointer in Game 1 of that series – did not result in a mea culpa from Stern’s officiating department.

Stern stressed several times the need to strive for accuracy through replay enhancement without further slowing down the games.

“Eventually, you may have someone sitting at a desk rather than having a Talmudic discussion of three referees every time there’s a disputed play,” Stern said. “We might have one person whose job it is to keep the headphones on and always watch. And you might let a coach throw the flag in the last two minutes. We’re striving for accuracy. … We have to find a way to speed the game up, and to get it right. That’s the most important thing.”

:clap:

ManRam
04-22-2011, 11:03 AM
Good.

Reffing basketball is the toughest sport to officiate, bar none. 10 players to watch at full speed often with terrible angles. We have the luxury of being able to think things out, multiple angles, slow motion and multiple looks. They don't.

Anything to improve the accuracy in the waning minutes of a game is great. As long as it doesn't significantly slow things down; the last minute of an NBA game is often way too long as is. That's the problem.

SteBO
04-22-2011, 11:05 AM
:clap: Excellent. I hope this gets through.

Lakers + Giants
04-22-2011, 11:10 AM
Whatever helps making the RIGHT call. :clap:

ChitownSports16
04-22-2011, 11:12 AM
this might just slow the game down... Why just not add another Ref?

BigBlueCrew
04-22-2011, 11:12 AM
Well congradulations! Its about time.

ManRam
04-22-2011, 11:18 AM

That wouldn't fix much.

For instance, let's pretend the foul called on Melo in game one was a terrible call. The ref that called it is still gonna call it, and adding another ref isn't going to fix that.

The thing is, would replay allow calls like that to be challenged. I mean, those are judgement calls. Melo did foul, but most feel it shouldn't have been called. What would replay decide?

I can only see it being effective in terms of out-of-bounds, goaltends, and those clear-cut/non-judgement calls.

Adding another ref isn't going to fix much :shrug: It might help, but replay is far more effective. I hate how slow the game is at the end, but I'm OK with slowing it down 30 seconds to get the call right

JordansBulls
04-22-2011, 11:32 AM
good.

gotoHcarolina52
04-22-2011, 11:39 AM
I love this idea, except replace the challenge flag with one of these (http://img.alibaba.com/img/pb/825/996/266/1284422302670_hz-cnmyalibaba-web1_1718.jpg). Whenever a coach wishes to challenge, he would press a button and the "signal" would be sent to each of the three referees simultaneously.

GMEN4EVER
04-22-2011, 11:42 AM
It's about dam time. The NBA has been needing this for a good solid decade now. And the challenges in the final 2 minutes is spot on for what the league needs in addition to a dedicated replay official. You shouldn't play that long of a game just to have a couple guys in black and white screw up the result right at the end. Let the coaches have a chance to over turn terrible calls that directly affect the end result of the game. And keep that replay official over turning garbage calls throughout the game in a timely fashion. It's a bit late but whatever, better late than never I suppose.

magic0320
04-22-2011, 11:44 AM
who cares about game slowing down as long as we know at the end it was fare game not refs making calls and have control of out come

GMEN4EVER
04-22-2011, 11:45 AM
Oh, and if there's an actualy challenge flag I can't wait to watch the highlights for when a coach throws it at the ref who just tried to f his team over. That'll be some fun television for yas.

Hellcrooner
04-22-2011, 11:47 AM
what he need to do is

1 remove star calls.

2 remove comissioner orders to ARtificIALLY extend series so tv makes more money.

gotoHcarolina52
04-22-2011, 11:55 AM
what he need to do is

1 remove star calls.

2 remove comissioner orders to ARtificIALLY extend series so tv makes more money.

Your first point oversimplifies the issue, while your second is wildly speculative.

FadeAwayLikeMJ
04-22-2011, 11:56 AM
im very surprised, i dunno if i like it tho...

but its for good of the game so how can i argue?

ManRam
04-22-2011, 12:05 PM
Your first point oversimplifies the issue, while your second is wildly speculative.

Agreed. I still hate the "star call" thing. The reason LeBron, Wade, Durant, Rose etc get so many calls, is because they earn them by being aggressive and attacking. There's no way to end "star calls". I really don't think refs sit there and say "wow, that's a star, I love stars, I'm gonna give them calls". Stars are stars because they're good at getting to the rim, they know how to draw fouls and they have the balls in their hands the most...and that all helps get calls.

The second is beyond wildly speculative.

Hellcrooner
04-22-2011, 12:07 PM
How many times do you see a star ejected from a game for 6 fouls?

theres a double standar on what is or isent a foul deppending if the player doing/receiving it is Wade/ lebron/Durant/Rose/Kobe or mIke James/earl watson/shannon brown etc.

Its a FACT.

KnicksorBust
04-22-2011, 12:33 PM
That wouldn't fix much.

For instance, let's pretend the foul called on Melo in game one was a terrible call. The ref that called it is still gonna call it, and adding another ref isn't going to fix that.

The thing is, would replay allow calls like that to be challenged. I mean, those are judgement calls. Melo did foul, but most feel it shouldn't have been called. What would replay decide?

I can only see it being effective in terms of out-of-bounds, goaltends, and those clear-cut/non-judgement calls.
Adding another ref isn't going to fix much :shrug: It might help, but replay is far more effective. I hate how slow the game is at the end, but I'm OK with slowing it down 30 seconds to get the call right

I agree. It'd get too messy if they were over-turning things like KG's trip of Toney Douglas. As much as I hate it, if that's a no call, no replay should be able to overturn it.

mttwlsn16
04-22-2011, 12:59 PM
I love this idea, except replace the challenge flag with one of these (http://img.alibaba.com/img/pb/825/996/266/1284422302670_hz-cnmyalibaba-web1_1718.jpg). Whenever a coach wishes to challenge, he would press a button and the "signal" would be sent to each of the three referees simultaneously.

:laugh:

CB29
04-22-2011, 01:23 PM
i'm not opposed to teams getting challenges

lakers4sho
04-22-2011, 02:17 PM
If you deny the existence of superstar protection in this league then you're either blind or you're in complete denial.

That being said, I've pretty much accepted them. What I'm more concerned about are the [ ********? ] calls during the last 5 minutes of a quarter or the game where 1 missed/wrong call makes a world of difference.

tr4shb0t
04-22-2011, 02:37 PM
It doesn't matter how many refs there are or what they do if they all still work for stern. Get a 3rd party organization to provide refs and the nba would be a real sport. There is literally only one reason why stern would not outsource this task and we all know what that is. This will never happen under stern and the nba will continue to be a fake circus act for casual fans who know nothing about the game.

lakers4sho
04-22-2011, 02:57 PM
Even if it's a third party, whoever it is will still oblige by Stern's dictates because it would be the NBA giving out contracts to these companies.

Replay system would be best. They can't ignore video evidence.

gotoHcarolina52
04-22-2011, 03:23 PM
Replay system would be best. They can't ignore video evidence.

I agree, but a replay system is not by any means infallible, nor is it immune to manipulation. Just look at Jason Kidd's 3 pointer from last night's game. The best camera angle showed his feet being behind the line, but had there been a replay system in play capturing each of the available angles, the refs could have easily said the evidence wasn't "indisputable" or "conclusive" or "clear and convincing" or whichever other standard they'd care to apply. As with the NFL replay system, refs would still be able to decide the close calls one way or another depending on their desired outcome.

Storch
04-22-2011, 03:37 PM
If they're going to do this then they should have two refs on the tv because that would put too much power on just one ref to make the quick replay decisions.

AllBall
04-22-2011, 03:43 PM
Link to Article

http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/28716777

jezzyman05
04-22-2011, 03:49 PM
You mean the spurs wont be burned by shot clocks any more.....holy crap pass this NOW!!!!!

Mudvayne91
04-22-2011, 03:50 PM
I truly dislike the man and think he has a biased league, but this idea I like.

I say this about every sport. I don't give a damn how long it takes to get a call right, I just want it to be the right call. And almost quite often does the replay not take more than a minute or two and rarely goes over that span.

assisi805
04-22-2011, 03:52 PM
About time.

Trueblue2
04-22-2011, 03:57 PM
How bout have replay for non judgement calls (goaltending, out of bounds, etc) + two challenges a coach can use for foul calls. That way the game won't be too slowed down and a coach can challenge on a crucial play to be 100% sure that it was/wasn't a foul. There's a rulebook definition to a foul and if the replay shows clearly whether or not the play fits the definition then the play either stands or is overturned, if it's inconclusive then the play stands.

lakers4sho
04-22-2011, 03:59 PM
I agree, but a replay system is not by any means infallible, nor is it immune to manipulation. Just look at Jason Kidd's 3 pointer from last night's game. The best camera angle showed his feet being behind the line, but had there been a replay system in play capturing each of the available angles, the refs could have easily said the evidence wasn't "indisputable" or "conclusive" or "clear and convincing" or whichever other standard they'd care to apply. As with the NFL replay system, refs would still be able to decide the close calls one way or another depending on their desired outcome.

It's better than what we have right now. That's all I care about at this point.

jzero
04-22-2011, 04:58 PM

not necessarily going to make decisions more accurate
could mean more decisions though

jzero
04-22-2011, 05:02 PM
How many times do you see a star ejected from a game for 6 fouls?

theres a double standar on what is or isent a foul deppending if the player doing/receiving it is Wade/ lebron/Durant/Rose/Kobe or mIke James/earl watson/shannon brown etc.

Its a FACT.

mm fair enough
it is in the best interests of the league for that to happen
that being said, sometimes refs dont call fouls on lebron and howard when they drive simply because they are just too physically imposing
i don't care if they can't contain those two, a foul is a foul

cypherthor
04-22-2011, 05:15 PM
The replay ref seems like a good idea, but how do you do that in the middle of game action? I guess it depends how it is implemented. As for the challenge as much as I hate how slow the last 2 minutes can be... better to have this than to leave teams helpless when a bad call is made in the last 20 sec.

Supreme LA
04-22-2011, 05:19 PM
mm fair enough
it is in the best interests of the league for that to happen
that being said, sometimes refs dont call fouls on lebron and howard when they drive simply because they are just too physically imposing
i don't care if they can't contain those two, a foul is a foul

What does that have to do with anything with replays? And you have a point about Howard but Lebron and Wade get more touch fouls called their way than any other player in the league. If anything, they are the ones who create the contact, and then flail their arms crying like Kobe. Only difference is Kobe gets no love from officials.

tcav701
04-22-2011, 05:22 PM
If Stern didnt want superstar calls, he would ask the refs to stop...

Crackadalic
04-22-2011, 05:22 PM
I think its best if this is use for a really outrageous call and the last 5 mins in the 4th quarter and OT. It be kinda dumb to use it all the time. The reason why people like basketball because its so pace face and theirs constant movement

Kashmir13579
04-22-2011, 05:55 PM
this leads to all sorts of new problems though.....

for instance, ball goes out of bounds and its ruled on the court that it went off "team a". coach for "team a" throws the challenge flag. refs go to the video review. it turns out initial ruling on the court was wrong and it went off "team b"; but in the corner of the screen you clearly see a player from "team a" foul somebody on "team b"...

what then? do you call that foul or ignore it and reverse the initial call? its a catch 22.

mizzacNYC
04-22-2011, 06:06 PM
im very surprised, i dunno if i like it tho...

but its for good of the game so how can i argue?

But of course you wouldn't like it as a Celtics fan the way Garnett and Pierce hold on defense and Allen pushes off his man on every cut. I wouldn't like it either if I was a Celtic fan.

That wouldn't fix much.

Maybe a replay of the Melo call would show that before Melo shrugged his shoulder it was only to release himself from Pierce's holding which is a foul that happened before his.

My question is how do you implement the challenge on a non-call like the Garnett trip of Douglas. Maybe it can be done whenever a basket is scored.
We have the NFL to look at as a model but only certain things can be challenged with in any play.

In any event I think you should get 2 within the final 2 mins and OT. And they should each cost a time out whether you win or not so coaches have to be very conservative with their challenges.

nycericanguy
04-22-2011, 06:13 PM
I truly dislike the man and think he has a biased league, but this idea I like.

I say this about every sport. I don't give a damn how long it takes to get a call right, I just want it to be the right call. And almost quite often does the replay not take more than a minute or two and rarely goes over that span.

agreed, as long as this is done with a challenge system and only in the last 2 minutes its a great idea.

I would have waited as long as I needed to if they had gotten the KG call right. Replay should be used, but not abused... maybe they have this rule only for the playoffs too.

nycericanguy
04-22-2011, 06:15 PM
this leads to all sorts of new problems though.....

for instance, ball goes out of bounds and its ruled on the court that it went off "team a". coach for "team a" throws the challenge flag. refs go to the video review. it turns out initial ruling on the court was wrong and it went off "team b"; but in the corner of the screen you clearly see a player from "team a" foul somebody on "team b"...

what then? do you call that foul or ignore it and reverse the initial call? its a catch 22.

you can only challenge one call... just like they use replay now to see if a shot was good or not... they might see an obvious foul while checking but that is not reviewable.

Kashmir13579
04-22-2011, 06:37 PM
you can only challenge one call... just like they use replay now to see if a shot was good or not... they might see an obvious foul while checking but that is not reviewable.

yea but then what's the point?! what good is it to get one call right and ignore an obvious non-call. somebody will get screwed either way. i'd rather just have the refs screw a team initially rather than have this slow the game down and somebody still gets ****ed.