PDA

View Full Version : King: Jay-Z Involved In Basketball Decisions

fadedmario
04-21-2011, 02:03 PM
Unlike a lot of celebrity owners, Jay-Z is heavily involved with the New Jersey Nets, according to Nets GM Billy King.

“I think a lot of those so-called guys that have parts of teams, they vanish,” King said. “There was one in Cleveland, what was his name? Usher. They haven’t seen him. I think Nelly in (Charlotte) – haven’t seen him. But Jay-Z, I think players see that it’s more of a passion for him, not just something he’s involved in.”

King also said Shawn Carter is involved in basketball decisions.

“I send him emails, or relate, ‘What about this guy?’” King said. “But he is fully invested. Not just financially, but from the heart.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/nets/2011/04/jay-z-is-no-nelly-hes-passionate-about-the-nets-says-gm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nydnrss%2Fbl

My question is this - Do you really want a "rapper" making basketball decisions of any kind? Recruiting players is fine (even though he already screwed that up) but making decisions for the team seems ridiculous in my opinion. Agree or disagree? Support your answers.

Rivera
04-21-2011, 02:05 PM
well jays a part owner and if prokorov agrees with this i have no problem either

plus if it was jay's idea to trade for deron williams only for favors and harris i would want jay running my bball operations

Jetsguy
04-21-2011, 02:11 PM
Whats the difference if a rapper is making decisions or if some computer nerd or oil guy is? Thats all the owners are...

avsman05
04-21-2011, 02:12 PM
Jay-z is a really good judge of talent I trust his decisions

fadedmario
04-21-2011, 02:17 PM
Whats the difference if a rapper is making decisions or if some computer nerd or oil guy is? Thats all the owners are...

Usually the GM's or President of the club makes the decisions. The owners usually just write the checks. That's why they hire other people to make basketball decisions.

Jetsguy
04-21-2011, 02:23 PM
Usually the GM's or President of the club makes the decisions. The owners usually just write the checks. That's why they hire other people to make basketball decisions.

I think it is a little naive to think owners arent making final decisions. There may be some who give all power to a GM and they just write a check but not many.

I mean look at Cuban, Dolan, Prok, Jordan etc etc etc. They are all making basketball decisions, Jordan may be a bad example because he obviosuly knows talent but you get the gist...

pd7631
04-21-2011, 02:27 PM
It's probably best for the Nets that Billy King is taking advice from others, no matter if they are a rapper or a custodian. **** Billy King

ttam68
04-21-2011, 02:51 PM
It's probably best for the Nets that Billy King is taking advice from others, no matter if they are a rapper or a custodian. **** Billy King

Yup.

Having JayZ make decisions is better than letting Billy King handle it. Guess Sixers fans are just bitter.

Young and Stupid
04-21-2011, 03:34 PM
I love the blatant racism displayed by the OP. Nice touch.

Let's not try to overanalyze this -- it doesn't mean that Billy King is going to a minority owner of the Nets and asking him to give the final-say on potential free-agent targets. All this says is that there's an open line of communication between King and Jay-Z based on who the team is looking to go after, it doesn't mean that Jay-Z is making any personnel decisions that will affect the future of the organization.

I love Jay-Z, but as a Nets fan I know the real reason he's involved is because he's trying to bring a franchise back to Brooklyn. I have no problem with that, although I am aware that he wouldn't truly care about -- or have bought stock in -- the Nets if they weren't making the move to Barclays.

ManRam
04-21-2011, 03:39 PM

I don't know if it's racism, but it is weird that he feels comfortable in all these "computer nerds", oil tycoons and other business men making decisions, but not an incredibly successful and intelligent rapper. As Jay once said, he's not a businessman, he's a business, man. Jay-Z is worth almost half a billion dollars...you can't just do that rapping; you have to be incredibly savvy, smart and creative.

I'm sure he knows more about basketball that Prok :shrug:

jimm120
04-21-2011, 03:49 PM
Unlike a lot of celebrity owners, Jay-Z is heavily involved with the New Jersey Nets, according to Nets GM Billy King.

“I think a lot of those so-called guys that have parts of teams, they vanish,” King said. “There was one in Cleveland, what was his name? Usher. They haven’t seen him. I think Nelly in (Charlotte) – haven’t seen him. But Jay-Z, I think players see that it’s more of a passion for him, not just something he’s involved in.”

“I send him emails, or relate, ‘What about this guy?’” King said. “But he is fully invested. Not just financially, but from the heart.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/nets/2011/04/jay-z-is-no-nelly-hes-passionate-about-the-nets-says-gm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nydnrss%2Fbl

My question is this - Do you really want a "rapper" making basketball decisions of any kind? Recruiting players is fine (even though he already screwed that up) but making decisions for the team seems ridiculous in my opinion. Agree or disagree? Support your answers.

I don't think he "screwed up" the whole recruiting part. Nets would have had a 1% chance to sign one of the top 4 free agents in 2010 (lebron, wade, amare, bosh...we all knew Dirk wasn't moving) without Jay z. With him, it bumped up to 5 - 10%. I could definitely have seen Bosh going just so he could be the face of the franchise in brooklyn.

And yes, he also failed with Melo, but Melo grew up a Knicks fan (just like Jay grew up a Knicks fan). But trust me, there would have been even less talk without Jay z there.

btw, I'm not a jay z fan (aside for that one song about brooklyn he has... http://tinyurl.com/3toqw3l ), so this isn't about giving props to him or anything.

JerseysFinest
04-21-2011, 04:00 PM

Let's not try to overanalyze this -- it doesn't mean that Billy King is going to a minority owner of the Nets and asking him to give the final-say on potential free-agent targets. All this says is that there's an open line of communication between King and Jay-Z based on who the team is looking to go after, it doesn't mean that Jay-Z is making any personnel decisions that will affect the future of the organization.

I love Jay-Z, but as a Nets fan I know the real reason he's involved is because he's trying to bring a franchise back to Brooklyn. I have no problem with that, although I am aware that he wouldn't truly care about -- or have bought stock in -- the Nets if they weren't making the move to Barclays.
I know right, I was thinking the exact same thing. What the hell does "do you really think a rapper should be making basketball decisions" mean? Because he's African-American? Is he an idiot or mindless (Not an attack at African-Americans, I'm one myself, just basing it off the stereotypes) ?

And btw, he didn't screw up getting any of the free agents because LeBron, Wade, and Bosh previously had the idea they would team up together, and the Nets didn't want Amar'e because of his knees (could've traded for him in early 2010 but Phoenix ended up not doing it, and even said he would like to play for the Nets), and Carmelo only wanted the Knicks because they had Amar'e. Then Nets GM Rod Thorn didn't want to give Carlos Boozer a 5/$80 contract, only a 5/$75, but the Bulls did so he became a Bull.

J-Relo
04-21-2011, 04:11 PM
Can't judge a book by its cover. Can't judge a person by his look, by his specialty, by what he does for his living.

Yes. Jay-Z involvement in it is a good thing.

Purple&Gold24
04-21-2011, 04:11 PM
Jay-Z is a pretty smart dude

AIMelo=KillaDUO
04-21-2011, 04:13 PM

What's so ridiculous about it? Just cuz he's a rapper? Jay-Z is a big basketball fan and knows what he's talkin about... So it's sounds like you're being a little judgemental of the Jigga man. You sound like your tryin to take Racist shots on the under.... making it seem as if Jay-Z has little knowlege when in realtiy Jay-Z is pretty smart.

smith&wesson
04-21-2011, 04:19 PM
He knows his ball. just listen to his songs, he always references great players lol

ttam68
04-21-2011, 04:45 PM

I know right, I was thinking the exact same thing. What the hell does "do you really think a rapper should be making basketball decisions" mean? Because he's African-American? Is he an idiot or mindless (Not an attack at African-Americans, I'm one myself, just basing it off the stereotypes) ?

What the hell are you guys talking about? Billy King is black too.

The reason its strange is because Billy King has made a career in basketball and is an experienced general manager while Jay-Z is touring the world performing on stage. This has nothing to do with racism.

JerseysFinest
04-21-2011, 04:49 PM

The reason its strange is because Billy King has made a career in basketball and is an experienced general manager while Jay-Z is touring the world performing on stage. This has nothing to do with racism.

This is the original question. Do you want a rapper making decisions of any kind? Why can't a rapper make decisions? Is it because he's ignorant or he's just plain dumb? This has nothing to do with King, this has to do with the original question posed by the author.

fadedmario
04-21-2011, 04:59 PM

Really? :laugh:

NJ Raven
04-21-2011, 05:04 PM
This is why the Nets will remain a joke around the league.

fadedmario
04-21-2011, 05:09 PM
I'm so sick of people pulling the race card on everything. Usually people that bring it up are racist themselves. Give me a ****ing break... I'm racist because I don't think a rapper should be in the front office. Maybe Eminem should run the Pistons...

fadedmario
04-21-2011, 05:23 PM
And for the record - I'm half Italian/half American Indian - and proud of both sides of my family.

fadedmario
04-21-2011, 05:44 PM

Thank you. Someone gets it. :)

jneises21
04-21-2011, 07:42 PM
Jesus people quit pulling the race card. If it was eminem and he said "rapper" would it of been a issue? He just meant Jay-Z is no NBA talent evaluator

DreamShake
04-22-2011, 02:24 AM
I'm so sick of people pulling the race card on everything. Usually people that bring it up are racist themselves. Give me a ****ing break... I'm racist because I don't think a rapper should be in the front office. Maybe Eminem should run the Pistons...

This. People thes days pull the race card on the stupidest ****. It's not about race, why would anyone want a rapper making decisions regarding players? He's not a ****ing basketball talent evaluator. To the topic though, I think King is just saying that. He might ask him for input, but Billy King is probably making the final decisions (or Prokorov).

Cano4prez
04-22-2011, 03:02 AM
He sucks at rapping and he sucks at making basketball decisions.

assisi805
04-23-2011, 04:33 PM
Good for him, more people involved less likely for one person to make stupid decisions.

Hellcrooner
04-23-2011, 05:03 PM
owners shouldnt be making basketball decisions just money ones regardless if they are newspaper owners, oil millonaires or artists.

and whats more racist? the OP? or the fact that you all associate one word (rapper) with being black? eminem is white.... go figure and i wouldnt want him making basketball decisions in my team.

Hellcrooner
04-23-2011, 05:04 PM
He knows his ball. just listen to his songs, he always references great players lol

im not handing the reigns of the lakers to Flea and anthony kiedis because they reference good basket players in their songs....
hey they are white!!!! :rolleyes:

blastmasta26
04-23-2011, 06:03 PM
Considering the Nets have done well personnel-wise (other than the Outlaw signing) I don't see a problem. It's not like Jay-Z is making all the decisions, it just sounds like open discussion.

King P
04-23-2011, 06:28 PM
He sucks at rapping and he sucks at making basketball decisions.
:eyebrow: