PDA

View Full Version : If Greg Oden was healthy...

DaBear
04-20-2011, 09:16 PM
From his rookie year to now, do you think he would be the best center in the NBA?

FLMeth06
04-20-2011, 09:18 PM
Nope. Unless Dwight died in that span, then the answer would still be no.

hotpotato1092
04-20-2011, 09:19 PM
Hard to say, if we're saying Greg Oden was healthy we'd also have to assume Andrew Bynum was fully healthy, and I've seen a lot more out of Bynum to suggest he'd be an elite center than in the limited amount I've seen from Oden. Still, he's shown flashes, so I'd say he'd be a top 5 center at least.

Preacher
04-20-2011, 09:21 PM
And if a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his *** every time he hopped.

When the pick was taken it was a silly gamble. They wanted the big man and they looked past his injury problems and 2 different length legs and took him anyway. He was never set to play very long and although it has been worse than expected he was never going to have an impact on this league of any consequence other than damaging the team that took him.

And it has to be real doubtful he stays healthy for anyone going forward. Although someone will give it a shot.

kingbrentg
04-20-2011, 09:21 PM
I think Dwight has that spot locked down for quite a while.

DaBear
04-20-2011, 09:22 PM

When the pick was taken it was a silly gamble. They wanted the big man and they looked past his injury problems and 2 different length legs and took him anyway. He was never set to play very long and although it has been worse than expected he was never going to have an impact on this league of any consequence other than damaging the team that took him.

And it has to be real doubtful he stays healthy for anyone going forward. Although someone will give it a shot.

Do you have a hard time reading?

yfern328
04-20-2011, 09:42 PM

You sir have clearly never watched Greg Oden ever play a game of basketball. He just turned 23 years old and has plenty of time to assert himself in this league. If he's not the main piece to a puzzle, he can certainly do some damage. He was incredibly productive in the limited minutes he has played. If Amar'e came back from microfracture surgery and was able to play at the same level if not better that what he once was, I see no reason as to why Oden wouldn't be able to do the same considering his age, talent, and work ethic. While he may get injured a few more times, he's worth the upside in my opinion. Guys like Oden don't just grow on trees. He may never be Shaq or even Dwight, but he can easily be a top 5 center, arguably top 3 if healthy.

BushLeague
04-20-2011, 09:46 PM
I was never quite sold on his offensive game, but who knows.

Preacher
04-20-2011, 10:54 PM
Do you have a hard time reading?
No, Ive always found it rather easy. How about you?

"He was never set to play very long and although it has been worse than expected he was never going to have an impact on this league of any consequence other than damaging the team that took him."

That seems to exactly respond to your question.

Preacher
04-20-2011, 11:00 PM
You sir have clearly never watched Greg Oden ever play a game of basketball. He just turned 23 years old and has plenty of time to assert himself in this league. If he's not the main piece to a puzzle, he can certainly do some damage. He was incredibly productive in the limited minutes he has played. If Amar'e came back from microfracture surgery and was able to play at the same level if not better that what he once was, I see no reason as to why Oden wouldn't be able to do the same considering his age, talent, and work ethic. While he may get injured a few more times, he's worth the upside in my opinion. Guys like Oden don't just grow on trees. He may never be Shaq or even Dwight, but he can easily be a top 5 center, arguably top 3 if healthy.Then we agree to disagree. As a Raptors fan there has been talk of trying to get him. The response has been divided. The biggest detractor is that he will still probably covet a high price. Just as you state he is still so young there are teams willing to take the chance. And probably deal with other offers thereby driving the price up.

I would absolutely stay away from him. Do not believe he can stay healthy and I would hate to lose all that salary on someone who would seem to have a very good chance to simply reinjure himself. I feel for the kid. He truly has world class talents. I doubt they will ever see the light of day.

WickedBadMan
04-20-2011, 11:02 PM
Top 5 for sure.

tyfreaks brotha
04-20-2011, 11:05 PM
Nope. Top 5 for sure. Kid would be beast!

Swashcuff
04-20-2011, 11:26 PM
Given that his offensive upside was far greater than that of Dwight's and his D would be as good if not better than Dwight's I'd say he'd surely be giving Dwight a run for his money.

JasonJohnHorn
04-21-2011, 08:59 AM
If he progressed well he would be more like a Ben Wallace with slightly more offensive ability. a dozen rebound guys with a strong defensive presence and a double digit scorer. That is best case scenario.

Likely, he would be a glorified version of Joel Anthony. Even in his time while healthy, he just hasnt learned to stay out of foul trouble, so that would limit his time on the floor.

Here's to helping he gets healthy soon and stays that way, and that when he come back he be an incarnation of Mutumbo on the floor.

*fingers crossed*

KnicksorBust
04-21-2011, 09:06 AM
If this thread asked what the Blazers chances would be in the playoffs with a healthy Oden, then we could have a real discussion. Asking if he'd be the best center in the NBA is not. His minutes would be limitted, not from injuries, but from his obscene foul rate. He averages 6 fouls per 36 minutes. Even rookie Dwight only averaged 3.1 fouls per 36.

magichatnumber9
04-21-2011, 09:14 AM
Long answer yes. Short answer yes. I've seen brilliance in this kids game. If he was healthy he would be an instant game changer.