PDA

View Full Version : is james harden the next superstar???

mdm692
04-20-2011, 09:05 PM
I been following him since his ASU days and he amazes me every time i see him play. . .is he in his way to greatness or is he just another crazy beard in the history of nba

FLMeth06
04-20-2011, 09:10 PM
Idk about superstar, maybe an AS caliber player if he was on another team where he could be the main focus on offense.

dtmagnet
04-20-2011, 09:13 PM
I once thought that he would be, but I doubt it now. Solid starter or 6th man though for sure.

hotpotato1092
04-20-2011, 09:22 PM
Solid starter, someone who isn't flashy but will you get you the 12-15 points you need out of him and play solid D. The perfect 4th or 5th guy on a title team.

kingbrentg
04-20-2011, 09:23 PM
Don't see a superstar in him at all. I like him a lot though, solid player.

Baller1
04-20-2011, 09:33 PM
If he were put in a situation like Tyreke or Curry, I think he could be just as good as those two. But he'll never be a superstar as long as he's a member of OKC.

Geargo Wallace
04-20-2011, 09:39 PM
the term 'superstar' is held a little too loosely by ppl

MiamiWadeCounty
04-20-2011, 09:44 PM
the term 'superstar' is held a little too loosely by ppl

Yep, I have at most 8 or 9 superstars in the league at the moment. To the OP, I don't think he'll ever be a superstar but I could see him geting 15-18ppg if he were given a bigger role on a team.

MrfadeawayJB
04-20-2011, 09:50 PM
At best he could be the #3 option on a championship team....(thunder???)

Mishmin
04-20-2011, 10:01 PM
Nope. Perfect in his role right now, could be a starter. Don't see him getting that much better though.

goose15
04-20-2011, 10:01 PM
solid player yes, superstar NO

zB_#85
04-20-2011, 10:09 PM
I'll probably get alot of WTF's on this, but I think Durantula/Westbrook/Harden > any other big 3 in the league in a couple years. Harden is all star calibur, I'm not sure about superstar calibur though.

EaglePride615
04-20-2011, 10:10 PM
always loved him. dont see him breaking out but will be a starter for most of his career unless behind a superstar if comes off bench very solid 6th man

Carey
04-20-2011, 10:10 PM
Everyone summed it up pretty well, he'll be a starter next year, his role has expanded and i expect him to be about a 15 ppg scorer next season. He's a good all around player who is sound beyond his years. Superstar? no, but good player who plays winning basketball, yes.

Sadds The Gr8
04-20-2011, 10:11 PM
If he were put in a situation like Tyreke or Curry, I think he could be just as good as those two. But he'll never be a superstar as long as he's a member of OKC.
this

Rego247
04-20-2011, 10:19 PM
No.

heatking
04-20-2011, 11:15 PM

Yeah i agree with this, i think hes easily a 20ppg player on another team. I see a little bit of manu and brandon roy in him. With the opportunity the kid could be a STUD, its probably not happening in okc tough.

nolin
04-20-2011, 11:30 PM
I been following him since his ASU days and he amazes me every time i see him play. . .is he in his way to greatness or is he just another crazy beard in the history of nba

is he? i think hes already a superstar could go down as the greatest player in nba history

Swashcuff
04-20-2011, 11:33 PM
No.

James Harden is the next slightly improved version of the current James Harden.

Raph12
04-20-2011, 11:59 PM
Nah

DreamShake
04-21-2011, 02:51 AM
No. He'll never be a superstar, but he could be a Jason Terry type player.

Iron24th
04-21-2011, 02:55 AM
A good role player yes,a superstar hell no.

Purple&Gold24
04-21-2011, 02:56 AM
Maybe above average player, not sure a superstar.

Jeff559
04-21-2011, 03:00 AM
He isn't athletic enough to be a superstar. Probably never even close to an allstar

LA_Raiders
04-21-2011, 03:00 AM
NO, I see him as a good role player...

championships
04-21-2011, 03:03 AM
A nice second option.

Baller1
04-21-2011, 03:12 AM
He isn't athletic enough to be a superstar. Probably never even close to an allstar

Harden is probably the most underrated athlete in the league to be honest. The beard is deceptive.

John Walls Era
04-21-2011, 03:34 AM
He won't be a superstar because hes not even the fourth most important player on his team (KD, Westy, Serge and Perkins).

SeoulBeatz
04-21-2011, 03:43 AM

just cause the dude isnt on sportscenter doesn't mean he isn't athletic
Where are you getting this information from?

wake up man!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln30QAkZX50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuoAXgupZ34

He still has allstar potential. He'll be a fantastic third man the very least, he's still young folks.

MJ-BULLS
04-21-2011, 03:47 AM
I very much doubt it, as long as he is a member of the Thunder, and KD/Westbrook are there, he isnt going to be a superstar.

I do see him being a possible all star in the future though, its a possibility.

Bulls_fan90
04-21-2011, 04:09 AM
Explain to me what he does that amazes you everytime you see him play. Don't get me wrong i like him, but the next superstar? Not so sure.

SeoulBeatz
04-21-2011, 04:13 AM
Well he sure does amaze in pick-up games!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s2Ffkgm2qk

smh AGAIN at the person who said he isn't athletic.

Don't let the beard fool you.

hyb152
04-21-2011, 04:55 AM
Everyone keeps saying he's a solid player and solid starter. So how does that not make him a potential star? He's only in his 2nd year and he was labeled a project coming out of college. Everyone knew it would be a process. Everyone knows it's going to take a few years since he's a project scorer. This guy has potential star written all over him and he should burst onto the scene in a few years, if not, sooner. I don't get how being a "solid" player in his 2nd year as a project means he won't be a star. Idk about superstar, but he will be a beast.

hyb152
04-21-2011, 05:01 AM

Tyreke and Harden are two different players. Harden can't distribute like Tyreke and Tyreke can't score in steaks like Harden. Harden wouldn't be as productive as Tyreke the past 2 years if he was on Sac instead of Tyreke. That's because Tyreke immediately came into the league and could be the type of player that can put a team on his back. The 20-5-5 explains it. Harden on the other hand is a scorer and couldn't come into the league immediately and have that team impact that Tyreke had. Especially with the type of team the kings have. Harden would just be another Marcus Thornton to the kings. A scorer swingman that averages a few points less than Thornton. Tyreke's style and the type of player he is allowed him to have a greater impact. Harden wouldn't have that impact right now or in the past 2 years.

magichatnumber9
04-21-2011, 06:10 AM
This guy is a top draft pick. He better be playing good.

Mallpha
04-21-2011, 07:15 AM
Well he got a superstar beard, so why not.

Seriously he is still very young, yet very solid so if he keeps up the good work he can play pretty much similar role to the one Manu plays for Spurs. As much as i like Manu i aint sure if i would ever call him a superstar, then again i would like him on my team much more then some of so called superstars.

I see Harden as one of those guys that sort of fill the demanded role perfectly. Rather then try to carry team on his shoulders every day he will just step up from time to time to get pressure of the primary guys, and that at times can be the differences between wining and losing

jzero
04-21-2011, 08:36 AM
I'll probably get alot of WTF's on this, but I think Durantula/Westbrook/Harden > any other big 3 in the league in a couple years. Harden is all star calibur, I'm not sure about superstar calibur though.

yeh i could see that happening
but if paul pairs up with howard then that duo beats all

miller74
04-21-2011, 09:03 AM
There is a big difference in a guy thriving as a third option behind 2 all stars. And thriving as the teams #1 option.

Rentzias
04-21-2011, 09:29 AM

Except he doesn't like to pass or rebound. But his scoring ability is on a par with those two.

ChitownSports16
04-21-2011, 09:31 AM
solid player but, not a superstar...

Carey
04-21-2011, 09:41 AM
Tyreke and Harden are two different players. Harden can't distribute like Tyreke and Tyreke can't score in steaks like Harden. Harden wouldn't be as productive as Tyreke the past 2 years if he was on Sac instead of Tyreke. That's because Tyreke immediately came into the league and could be the type of player that can put a team on his back. The 20-5-5 explains it. Harden on the other hand is a scorer and couldn't come into the league immediately and have that team impact that Tyreke had. Especially with the type of team the kings have. Harden would just be another Marcus Thornton to the kings. A scorer swingman that averages a few points less than Thornton. Tyreke's style and the type of player he is allowed him to have a greater impact. Harden wouldn't have that impact right now or in the past 2 years.

My guess is you've never watched Harden substantially because the strength of his game is his feel for the game and his ability to pass. But in your defense its not as easy to see from an outside fan.

PrettyBoyJ
04-21-2011, 10:11 AM
I wont say he cant be a superstar because he has the skills to be a good player.. If he puts in the work get stronger improve his defense, and work on his game I dont see why he cant be a star.. Work at your craft is what made Jordan who he is today and others as well..

sep11ie
04-21-2011, 10:31 AM
I like his game and all, but I don't really see how he amazes you night in and night out.

Brooklyn Mets
04-21-2011, 10:58 AM
I once thought that he would be, but I doubt it now. Solid starter or 6th man though for sure.

this.. i feel the same way about harden sa i do about mayo.. thought they would be instant stars in the league but it hasnt panned out yet.. both really good players but not even close to superstar status..

Mile High Champ
04-21-2011, 11:07 AM
I really don't see anything in his game that would lead me to believe that he is on the verge of becoming a superstar. Is he a good player? yes. An allstar? Perhaps one day. More likely just a good starting SG on a good team for years to come.

The Final Boss
04-21-2011, 11:51 AM
I once saw him not get fouled and subsequently not get the call. So, no.

Tarheels23
04-21-2011, 12:03 PM
I can see him being a Michael Redd type

sweet-d
04-21-2011, 05:34 PM

lol yeah your right that definitely is how you can tell who the super stars are.

Lake_Show2416
04-21-2011, 06:51 PM
No

netsgiantsyanks
04-21-2011, 07:12 PM

you're going to get murdered by heat fans and then they'll devour your flesh. that's how much they'll disagree.

Crackadalic
04-21-2011, 07:19 PM
Not a superstar but a 15-16ppg type player on a championship team

TO Rapz
04-21-2011, 07:23 PM

:laugh2:

Baller1
04-21-2011, 07:30 PM
Not a superstar but a 15-16ppg type player on a championship team

Well, that's basically what he is right now. You don't think he'll improve at all?

smith&wesson
04-21-2011, 08:37 PM
i once thought that he would be, but i doubt it now. Solid starter or 6th man though for sure.

+1

alencp3
04-22-2011, 01:00 AM
3rd wheel on a championship team behind durant and westbrook

soonabooma
04-22-2011, 01:07 AM
I don't think superstar is the word I'd use to describe James, but I'll put it this way.....if Lamar Odom can win 6th Man of the Year awards, then James Harden sure as heck can. He's a solid player, and he's only gonna get better. If he was gonna get traded, it would have already happened by now. We had no choice but to trade Jeff, but I'm pretty sure James will be a part of our core for a long time. And he's in the perfect role right now because he's a good scorer. It works out perfect having Sefolosha, our best perimeter defender in the starting lineup with Harden leading the 2nd unit. He'll win that award at some point without a doubt.

iggypop123
04-22-2011, 01:18 AM

i saw him get himself 10 fts off the bench and thats with a team with guys who pay rent at the ft like durant. still that team blew it by not drafting curry.

GoatMilk
04-22-2011, 01:33 AM
Well, that's basically what he is right now. You don't think he'll improve at all?

not really
he is what he is imo

Baller1
04-22-2011, 01:40 AM
not really
he is what he is imo

How is he not a third option on a championship caliber team? If he is what he is, what is he?

Avenged
04-22-2011, 01:45 AM
Will be an above average player, borderline all-star. Any team would be happy to have him especially contending teams.

GoatMilk
04-22-2011, 02:02 AM
How is he not a third option on a championship caliber team? If he is what he is, what is he?

he's the 3rd option on a championship caliber team

i just mean i dont see him getting better the way Westbrook, or other young players do

he came into the league a pretty polished player. he's not crazy athletic as it is, that'll hurt as he gets older

he's a really good player though. all i mean

Baller1
04-22-2011, 02:06 AM
he's the 3rd option on a championship caliber team

i just mean i dont see him getting better the way Westbrook, or other young players do

he came into the league a pretty polished player. he's not crazy athletic as it is, that'll hurt as he gets older

he's a really good player though. all i mean

Oh ok I see what you meant. Yeah I don't see him ever getting better than Westy either. Don't let his beard lead you to underrate his athleticism though... ;)

danielleighgill
04-22-2011, 02:25 AM
He might be a star if he played for a team where it made sense for him to jack up 20+ shots per game, but I dont think he'll ever be on the same level as Durant, James, Kobe, Dwight, Wade, Melo, etc.

Chi StateOfMind
04-22-2011, 02:59 AM
Never even thought he was a good player....maybe its the team and a change of scenery will help contribute to a better career statwise

JiffyMix88
04-22-2011, 03:28 AM
Harden > Westbrook

BleedingGreen9
04-22-2011, 04:08 AM
not if he is and always will be the 3rd man on the thunder team

koreancabbage
04-22-2011, 09:09 AM
the term "superstar" is a status reserved among only a few select. Harden's teammate is one them in Kevin Durant. Westbrook is not a superstar.

the ONLY thing you should be talking about Harden, is he a star?, or better yet, is he going to be on any all-star team?

midwestmadman
04-22-2011, 09:24 AM
No

BlondeBomber41
04-22-2011, 11:09 AM

1. Thunder aren't a Championship team.
2. 12 PPG isnt the same thing as 15-16 PPG.

Harden is a solid player, but he has shown nothing to make me thing he'll be a star. He is streaky and overall not a very good shooter, 35% from 3's isn't good.

Maybe he'll develop into a Jason Richardson type of player, borderline All Star.... but a Star or Superstar? Just haven't seen anything that warrants that.

Sportfan
04-22-2011, 11:20 AM
I really wanted to get him in the Perkins trade, being groomed by two of the best wings in the league in Allen and Pierce for him to finally take over as the big time scorer in a year or two.

Baller1
04-22-2011, 12:03 PM
1. Thunder aren't a Championship team.
2. 12 PPG isnt the same thing as 15-16 PPG.

Harden is a solid player, but he has shown nothing to make me thing he'll be a star. He is streaky and overall not a very good shooter, 35% from 3's isn't good.

Maybe he'll develop into a Jason Richardson type of player, borderline All Star.... but a Star or Superstar? Just haven't seen anything that warrants that.

OKC is a championship contender, I don't know how you can even justify not considering them one at this point.

After Jeff Green was traded, Harden averaged 17 points per game and led all bench players in scoring post trade. He has underrated athleticism and is actually a formidable passer, making him a valuable combo guard. Looking at two stats (one that doesn't even completely tell the story), doesn't make or break who a player is.

assisi805
04-22-2011, 12:43 PM
Superstar is a big term, hes going to be an above average player at the least!

FadeAwayLikeMJ
04-22-2011, 01:20 PM
Harden is probably the most underrated athlete in the league to be honest. The beard is deceptive.

not gonna lie, when i saw the title of this thread, i said to myself...

"the guy with the beard??"

dude can ball, no doubt about it. who knows what the future holds but superstar seems to be a stretch.

KB24PG16
04-22-2011, 01:24 PM
he'd be better if he were a starter with the attention given durant/westbrook i think he would get some open shots

thunder have a nice young core of
westbrook
harden
durant
ibaka
perkins

with some bench im liking what their gm has put together

theheatles
04-22-2011, 02:04 PM
possibly making 1 or 2 all star teams but being a superstar at some point, imo nah

babyang04
04-22-2011, 02:15 PM
is he even a better ball player than will "the thrill" chandler ?

koreancabbage
04-22-2011, 03:15 PM
OKC is a championship contender, I don't know how you can even justify not considering them one at this point.

After Jeff Green was traded, Harden averaged 17 points per game and led all bench players in scoring post trade. He has underrated athleticism and is actually a formidable passer, making him a valuable combo guard. Looking at two stats (one that doesn't even completely tell the story), doesn't make or break who a player is.

no they are not, they haven't even gotten to the conference finals. Chicago is a different story as they won the conference and had the best record in the NBA.

true contenders are the Mavs, Spurs, Boston, Miami, Lakers, and maybe Orlando

they are true contenders cuz of the previous success they have had in recent memory. All these teams have been there and done that the last 10 years. They've been to the finals with big part of their roster still intact.

aspiring contenders are: Thunder, Chicago, Orlando (could be a contender, but huge roster changes like losing all of their power forwards (Bass and Gortat) for chump change- took a toll on their size advantage they had over everyone in the conference)

i'm sorry but when i hear OKC, i don't think championships. maybe if they get to the finals, i'll think differently. same goes for Chicago as well.