PDA

View Full Version : What if KG had been traded to the Lakers instead of the Celtics?

hotpotato1092
04-20-2011, 08:32 PM
Though the summer of 2010 got all of the hype, one could argue that the current NBA was actually shaped by the summer of 2007. A ton of big names were shopped, Seattle/OKC got Durant and started building their team, Boston's big three was formed, but the biggest (and most forgotten story) was Kobe Bryant's demand for a trade. He wanted to play with another star. Before the draft, they tried to get him one: Kevin Garnett. Here was the proposed deal:

Indiana gets: Lamar Odom and Andrew Bynum
Boston gets: Jermaine O'neal
Minnesota gets: Al Jefferson and the #5 pick in the 2007 draft (which ended up being Jeff Green)
Los Angeles gets: KG

We all know what happened, Boston gets Ray Allen and eventually KG. The Lakers tread water for a few months until Memphis gift wraps them Pau Gasol. All is well for both teams. But what if the Lakers, not the Celtics, would have won the KG sweepstakes? How does that effect their teams? Could the Lakers win with Kobe, KG and a pile of crap? Who wins the past 3 titles? Does it affect the summer of 2010's free agency? Here's what I think:

With Kobe and KG on board, the Lakers manage to score every midlevel type free agent Boston did. That means James Posey and Eddie House are Lakers. Assuming he is released as he was in real life, Derek Fisher is also. That leaves the Lakers with a starting five of Fisher, Kobe, Posey, KG and Ronny Turiaf, and a bench mainly of Jordan Farmar, Sasha Vujacic, Luke Walton, Vlad Radmanovic, Kwame Brown and Chris Mihm. KG has the same effect on Turiaf that he did on Perkins, helping him become a much better defender. Another thing to keep in mind is Kwame Brown's expiring contract. That is a huge trade asset, and given their status as a team willing to pay the luxury tax, I think they use it. My proposed trade is Kwame, Farmar, and two first round picks (presumably the ones they sent to Memphis in real life) to Utah for Andrei Kirilenko (one of the league's worst contracts, but a great fit for this team). This gives them a starting five of Fisher, Kobe, Kirilenko, Garnett and Turiaf, with the same bench just without Farmar. This team can win the title.

Boston meanwhile, has given up their two biggest assets (the #5 pick and Al Jefferson), so there is no Ray Allen trade. They are forced to go forward with Pierce, O'neal, Kendrick Perkins, Rajon Rondo (remember, he doesn't have KG and Ray Allen as mentors, so he may not become the Rajon Rondo we now know), and the rest of their young guys. Things obviously aren't looking too good for Boston, but more on that later.

Once the season starts, the Lakers race out to a fast start. By February, they are clearly one of, if not the best team in the league. Now here's where things get interesting. Without the Lakers as a trade partner, Memphis has to go elsewhere when trading Pau Gasol. Who should swoop in but LeBron James' Cleveland Cavaliers. Using many of the assets they used in the trade that netted them Delonte West and Ben Wallace, the Cavs are able to steal Gasol much like the Lakers did. With the Gasol trade happening in the east rather than the west, it is Orlando that makes the Jason Kidd panic trade (let's say for Jameer Nelson and filler), not Dallas. A third star does end up getting traded at this deadline, but it's not Shaq like in real life. With Jermaine O'neal hurt (as per the usual), and the Celtics headed towards the lottery again, Paul Pierce demands a trade. Given that rebuilding is now an inevitability, the Celtics oblige and trade him to Phoenix for Shawn Marion's expiring contract, Leandro Barbosa, and Atlanta's unprotected #1 pick. So to recap where we are up to this point, KG is in LA, Pau Gasol is in Cleveland, Jason Kidd is in Orlando, and Paul Pierce is in Phoenix.

The first few rounds of the playoffs go as expected, eventually leading up to a final four of Cleveland, Orlando, LA and Phoenix. Cleveland blows through Orlando pretty easily, but LA and Phoenix have a brutal seven game series ending with the Lakers winning a close game seven. The Lakers go on to beat LeBron's Cavs in six games to give Kobe ring #4 and KG ring #1.

Things get a bit worse for the Lakers the next season. Given their aging supporting cast and KG's injury (which I imagine happens in LA as it did in Boston, it was a wear and tear type injury), Phoenix (who, given their strong playoff run the year before have retained Mike D'antoni) beat them in the western conference finals to face Cleveland for the title. In one of the most watched and entertaining finals ever, Phoenix beats Cleveland in seven to give Steve Nash his first ring. The Lakers come back strong the next year with a healthy KG, but LeBron will not be denied and beats the Lakers for his first ring.

Now for the final piece of the puzzle: how does this affect the summer of 2010. LeBron has no reason to leave Pau Gasol, he knows he already has a championship caliber team. Without LeBron, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh still decide to team up, but since they are only two max players they have more options than they did in real life when only one team could afford three. Assuming this whole history change also effects the draft lottery, Derrick Rose likely isn't in Chicago, so that takes them out of the picture. They eventually opt for New York, the bright lights tempt them, knowing that they'll need them to keep up with LeBron from a PR standpoint, and for the simple fact that they'd have a very solid supporting cast (given their records, their draft picks likely wouldn't have been affected too much). Amare stays in Phoenix, Carlos Boozer takes the money in New Jersey (assuming Prokhorov still buys the team), and Dirk stays in Dallas.

Since I know many people won't want to read my entire novel on this subject, here are the sparknotes:

major moves: Pau Gasol to Cleveland, Paul Pierce to Phoenix, Jason Kidd to Orlando, Andrei Kirilenko to the Lakers.

2008 title: Lakers
2009 title: Suns
2010 title: Cavs

Summer of 2010: LeBron stays in Cleveland, Wade and Bosh to the Knicks, Amare stays in Cleveland, Boozer goes to New Jersey, Dirk stays in Dallas.

So that's what I think happens if the Lakers had been able to trade for KG instead of the Celtics. What do you guys think?

Super.
04-20-2011, 10:06 PM
I see someone utilized their 4/20 to the fullest

Sadds The Gr8
04-20-2011, 10:07 PM
this thread's been made a million times

Hellcrooner
04-20-2011, 10:15 PM
problem with your scenario.

Gasol does not go to cleveland.

the main KNOWN bidder for pau was always Chicago so they woudl ahve probably finaly caved in in some of memphis demmands.

tyfreaks brotha
04-20-2011, 11:12 PM
What if what if what if :mad: What if Kings had Granger

tyfreaks brotha
04-20-2011, 11:13 PM

:clap::smoking:

hotpotato1092
04-20-2011, 11:14 PM

I actually had to take my first 4/20 off in years today, doctors orders, long story.

Rafer17
04-20-2011, 11:15 PM
Read bill simmons column about this, pretty interesting

hotpotato1092
04-20-2011, 11:25 PM
Read bill simmons column about this, pretty interesting

I didn't know he wrote about this? I'm actually a big fan of his, I know he's written about Golden State and Chicago getting KG but I don't even remember the Lakers.

tyfreaks brotha
04-20-2011, 11:25 PM
I actually had to take my first 4/20 off in years today, doctors orders, long story.

:violin:

ChI_ShIzzLe
04-20-2011, 11:29 PM
Though the summer of 2010 got all of the hype, one could argue that the current NBA was actually shaped by the summer of 2007. A ton of big names were shopped, Seattle/OKC got Durant and started building their team, Boston's big three was formed, but the biggest (and most forgotten story) was Kobe Bryant's demand for a trade. He wanted to play with another star. Before the draft, they tried to get him one: Kevin Garnett. Here was the proposed deal:

Indiana gets: Lamar Odom and Andrew Bynum
Boston gets: Jermaine O'neal
Minnesota gets: Al Jefferson and the #5 pick in the 2007 draft (which ended up being Jeff Green)
Los Angeles gets: KG

We all know what happened, Boston gets Ray Allen and eventually KG. The Lakers tread water for a few months until Memphis gift wraps them Pau Gasol. All is well for both teams. But what if the Lakers, not the Celtics, would have won the KG sweepstakes? How does that effect their teams? Could the Lakers win with Kobe, KG and a pile of crap? Who wins the past 3 titles? Does it affect the summer of 2010's free agency? Here's what I think:

With Kobe and KG on board, the Lakers manage to score every midlevel type free agent Boston did. That means James Posey and Eddie House are Lakers. Assuming he is released as he was in real life, Derek Fisher is also. That leaves the Lakers with a starting five of Fisher, Kobe, Posey, KG and Ronny Turiaf, and a bench mainly of Jordan Farmar, Sasha Vujacic, Luke Walton, Vlad Radmanovic, Kwame Brown and Chris Mihm. KG has the same effect on Turiaf that he did on Perkins, helping him become a much better defender. Another thing to keep in mind is Kwame Brown's expiring contract. That is a huge trade asset, and given their status as a team willing to pay the luxury tax, I think they use it. My proposed trade is Kwame, Farmar, and two first round picks (presumably the ones they sent to Memphis in real life) to Utah for Andrei Kirilenko (one of the league's worst contracts, but a great fit for this team). This gives them a starting five of Fisher, Kobe, Kirilenko, Garnett and Turiaf, with the same bench just without Farmar. This team can win the title.

Boston meanwhile, has given up their two biggest assets (the #5 pick and Al Jefferson), so there is no Ray Allen trade. They are forced to go forward with Pierce, O'neal, Kendrick Perkins, Rajon Rondo (remember, he doesn't have KG and Ray Allen as mentors, so he may not become the Rajon Rondo we now know), and the rest of their young guys. Things obviously aren't looking too good for Boston, but more on that later.

Once the season starts, the Lakers race out to a fast start. By February, they are clearly one of, if not the best team in the league. Now here's where things get interesting. Without the Lakers as a trade partner, Memphis has to go elsewhere when trading Pau Gasol. Who should swoop in but LeBron James' Cleveland Cavaliers. Using many of the assets they used in the trade that netted them Delonte West and Ben Wallace, the Cavs are able to steal Gasol much like the Lakers did. With the Gasol trade happening in the east rather than the west, it is Orlando that makes the Jason Kidd panic trade (let's say for Jameer Nelson and filler), not Dallas. A third star does end up getting traded at this deadline, but it's not Shaq like in real life. With Jermaine O'neal hurt (as per the usual), and the Celtics headed towards the lottery again, Paul Pierce demands a trade. Given that rebuilding is now an inevitability, the Celtics oblige and trade him to Phoenix for Shawn Marion's expiring contract, Leandro Barbosa, and Atlanta's unprotected #1 pick. So to recap where we are up to this point, KG is in LA, Pau Gasol is in Cleveland, Jason Kidd is in Orlando, and Paul Pierce is in Phoenix.

The first few rounds of the playoffs go as expected, eventually leading up to a final four of Cleveland, Orlando, LA and Phoenix. Cleveland blows through Orlando pretty easily, but LA and Phoenix have a brutal seven game series ending with the Lakers winning a close game seven. The Lakers go on to beat LeBron's Cavs in six games to give Kobe ring #4 and KG ring #1.

Things get a bit worse for the Lakers the next season. Given their aging supporting cast and KG's injury (which I imagine happens in LA as it did in Boston, it was a wear and tear type injury), Phoenix (who, given their strong playoff run the year before have retained Mike D'antoni) beat them in the western conference finals to face Cleveland for the title. In one of the most watched and entertaining finals ever, Phoenix beats Cleveland in seven to give Steve Nash his first ring. The Lakers come back strong the next year with a healthy KG, but LeBron will not be denied and beats the Lakers for his first ring.

Now for the final piece of the puzzle: how does this affect the summer of 2010. LeBron has no reason to leave Pau Gasol, he knows he already has a championship caliber team. Without LeBron, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh still decide to team up, but since they are only two max players they have more options than they did in real life when only one team could afford three. Assuming this whole history change also effects the draft lottery, Derrick Rose likely isn't in Chicago, so that takes them out of the picture. They eventually opt for New York, the bright lights tempt them, knowing that they'll need them to keep up with LeBron from a PR standpoint, and for the simple fact that they'd have a very solid supporting cast (given their records, their draft picks likely wouldn't have been affected too much). Amare stays in Phoenix, Carlos Boozer takes the money in New Jersey (assuming Prokhorov still buys the team), and Dirk stays in Dallas.

Since I know many people won't want to read my entire novel on this subject, here are the sparknotes:

major moves: Pau Gasol to Cleveland, Paul Pierce to Phoenix, Jason Kidd to Orlando, Andrei Kirilenko to the Lakers.

2008 title: Lakers
2009 title: Suns
2010 title: Cavs

Summer of 2010: LeBron stays in Cleveland, Wade and Bosh to the Knicks, Amare stays in Cleveland, Boozer goes to New Jersey, Dirk stays in Dallas.

So that's what I think happens if the Lakers had been able to trade for KG instead of the Celtics. What do you guys think?
Well thank Allah, the lord Jesus Christ, God, Buddha, Moses and the Ten Commandments KG didn't end up in LA :worthy: :worthy:

j-bay
04-20-2011, 11:30 PM
we had one of these a month ago:facepalm:
Give it up people garnett is a celtic can't be changed

Lakerhead4ever
04-20-2011, 11:33 PM
who cares gasol is younger

hugepatsfan
04-21-2011, 12:01 AM
That was a rumor but it was never reasonable. Big Al was arguably the most valuable trade chip in the NBA that season. He averaged a double double the year before as a team's best player (Pierce hardly played) w/ a PER of near 20. BOS wasn't moving him for JO. He was coming off of a year where he averaged 14 and 7 in 42 games. Al was a better player than JO at the time. Anyone who believes that BOS even considered that trade for a minutes is out of their mind. No way they would throw in the #5 pick to get an older, WORSE player.

LakersA's49ers
04-21-2011, 12:07 AM
good thing the lakers didnt do that. that would put kobe and kg with a bunch of scrubs minus Fisher and my man Ronny Turiaf of course!