PDA

View Full Version : Cholly Whitehurst

alexander_37
04-20-2011, 12:46 PM
Is it just me or does anyone else think we should give him a chance? Am I saying he is the QB of the future? No. Am i saying we shouldn't have a plan B? No . Am I saying hand him the reigns and see what he can do? More or less.

Before you jump down my throat read what John Schnieder has to say about whether Charlie Whitehurst is going to be given the chance to compete for the starting job in 2011.

"Yeah he is, absolutely," Schneider said. "Charlie won the biggest game of the season for us. And with absolutely no disrespect to (Matt) Hasselbeck, that was the first week it was Charlie's game. Charlie went into the other games with Matt's plan. This was a plan for Charlie. And quite frankly the Rams were playing pretty good at that point. And he took care of the ball and played well.

"Did he have his struggles during the season? Sure. I mean he hasn't played a lot of regular-season games. So, I thought one of the coolest things he did was come into that Arizona game and bring us right down the field. Now, the series didn't end that great. He threw a ball he'd like to have back. But I've been around a three-time MVP (Brett Favre) that wasn't a great decision maker early on his career. But he became a much better decision maker."

FWBrodie
04-20-2011, 01:32 PM
I'd support that decision. Charlie still has a lot of upside. Obviously someone would be brought in to compete with him, whether it's a rookie or Matt Leinhart, or someone else.

House
04-20-2011, 04:13 PM
I'm all for giving Charlie a shot. W already gave up our 3rd rd pick for him. Like Schneider said, Charlie did a good job the ONLY game we planned for him. He can definitely build on that.

Someone will definitely come in to compete with him. Matt will not be back!

shen
04-20-2011, 05:17 PM
I think Charlie is going to be our starter next year. We know that at least one QB will be competing with him. However that is just the philosophy that Pete and John want. I mean John mentioned he is going to draft at least 1 QB every year.

NateyB24
04-20-2011, 07:11 PM
Ill give him a chance but i do not think he is a franchise QB i view him as more of a backup.

FWBrodie
04-20-2011, 07:18 PM
I'd feel better with Charlie's upside than Matt's continued tumble down the hill that was his career. At least with Charlie there's some room to dream.

alexander_37
04-20-2011, 07:56 PM
How can we possibly say someone is not a starter in the NFL when they have had 2 starts ROFL fail.

P.S Cholly's winning percentage as a starter 50%.

NateyB24
04-20-2011, 08:16 PM
How can we possibly say someone is not a starter in the NFL when they have had 2 starts ROFL fail.

P.S Cholly's winning percentage as a starter 50%.

When you watch him play his 2 starts he struggles with the short throws you have to make those if you want to be a Pro NFL QB.

But like i said im not for bringing Matt back so give Charlie a fair chance.

DuckHawk
04-20-2011, 09:11 PM
Why not. The schedule is looking pretty tough. Maybe we can draft Luck next year.

Blazerfan88
04-21-2011, 12:43 AM
Why not. The schedule is looking pretty tough. Maybe we can draft Luck next year.

Thats what I am saying and I bet the QB from USC will leave early too.

Caribou Lou
04-21-2011, 01:13 AM
Awesome fellas, let's play for a draft pick. That'll make for a real fun season.

Hawks4ever
04-21-2011, 02:00 AM
I wouldn't call it playing for a draft pick, I guarentee whoever is on our roster that gives us the best chance of winning will play, Carroll wants to build on last season, So whether it be charlie, matt, a rookie, or any of the other possibilities we will be playing to win.

Hawks4ever
04-21-2011, 02:03 AM
I can't remember where it was I want to say NFL total access they were saying VY could be a good fit in Seattle, I really hope we get him, I mean maby a change of senery could be good for him, and he does have a great winning percntage. I believe he is some 37-17 which is pretty good especially since he didn't always start so he probably was not always playing at his peak.

Hawk Deez Natz
04-21-2011, 02:09 AM

My thoughts exactly. I don't want to suck next year but I just don't see us winning alot of games but with our luck we will win just enough to get us a late top 10 pick. Which is not a bad pick in its self but bad enough to miss out on the next top rated QB unless his stock drops like Locker's did in his senior season.

Hawks4ever
04-21-2011, 02:22 AM
My thoughts exactly. I don't want to suck next year but I just don't see us winning alot of games but with our luck we will win just enough to get us a late top 10 pick. Which is not a bad pick in its self but bad enough to miss out on the next top rated QB unless his stock drops like Locker's did in his senior season.

We have basically the same schedual the rest of our division has except for the rams get new orleans and GB, we get the falcons and the bears. And I see the rams as our biggest competition besides maby San Fransico, who gets Tampa, and either the vikings or detroit which I believe both can beat SF. So if we win the division again we get at least one home game in the playoffs, and once you get to the playoffs it is a whole new ballgame as we prooved last year. Plus I believe we will have alot of confidence built up this year in our young lockeroom.

House
04-21-2011, 09:39 AM
I'm predicting a 9-7 season. That'll put us drafting @ #21 or higher again. If we NEED a QB, we could always trade up. Several of the Bottom Tier will already have QBs.

Let's not get TOO FAR ahead of ourselves. This year's draft hasn't even happened yet.

NateyB24
04-21-2011, 10:42 AM
Awesome fellas, let's play for a draft pick. That'll make for a real fun season.

I want to win to but come on have you seen our schedule? Not only is it hard but we have 3 10 am games this coming season. See more of an 8-8, 6-10 type of season.

Chacarron
04-21-2011, 11:26 AM
I'm all for giving Charlie the opportunity to start next season.

Hawks4ever
04-21-2011, 11:56 AM
we could have a better season than many think, depending on what we do in the draft and free agency. I mean we seemed to find a running game at the end of the year which will open up our passing game. Especially if we add a couple guys like gallery and rice. on top of that if our D stays healthy it should be pretty good untill our line got banged up last year they were great, and im hoping curry steps it up along with lofa, we could be a 10-6 to a 12-4 team

Hawk Deez Natz
04-21-2011, 11:59 AM
I'm predicting a 9-7 season. That'll put us drafting @ #21 or higher again. If we NEED a QB, we could always trade up. Several of the Bottom Tier will already have QBs.

Let's not get TOO FAR ahead of ourselves. This year's draft hasn't even happened yet.

Sam Bradford's success was an anomally. I don't see any quarterback we draft doing as well as he did. If we snag a veteran QB, snag Gallery, draft a QB and an OL/CB in the first two rounds or three if we trade down then I see us making the playoffs. If we ride the show with Whitehurst then were probabley more like 6-10 or worse.

Hawks4ever
04-21-2011, 12:06 PM
Sam Bradford's success was an anomally. I don't see any quarterback we draft doing as well as he did. If we snag a veteran QB, snag Gallery, draft a QB and an OL/CB in the first two rounds or three if we trade down then I see us making the playoffs. If we ride the show with Whitehurst then were probabley more like 6-10 or worse.

Whitehurst could turn out to be a decent QB if he was the starter, he would build chemestry with the first string offense. Plus he could get in a groove starting every week especially if we have a rookie to push him.

Hawk Deez Natz
04-21-2011, 12:10 PM
Whitehurst could turn out to be a decent QB if he was the starter, he would build chemestry with the first string offense. Plus he could get in a groove starting every week especially if we have a rookie to push him.

I hope so...I just don't see it happening. I really do hope I'm wrong.

Hawks4ever
04-21-2011, 12:16 PM
I hope so...I just don't see it happening. I really do hope I'm wrong.

Don't we all. I believe he will prove us wrong as long as he has the right tools around him.

steelie
04-21-2011, 12:40 PM

When the O coordinator played to Charlie's strengths he played pretty good. Bates is gone so we'll see what happens this year.

Go Canucks, 3 games to 1, gonna close out the Hawks tonight!

Hawks4ever
04-21-2011, 12:52 PM
When the O coordinator played to Charlie's strengths he played pretty good. Bates is gone so we'll see what happens this year.

Go Canucks, 3 games to 1, gonna close out the Hawks tonight!

Eww the Canucks, hawks are comming back :clap:

Schadie001
04-22-2011, 03:55 AM
Seahawks GM in an interview said that Charlie will have the opportunity to compete for the starting job. Given that he is the "only" QB on the Seahawks roster that doesn't sound like he has a whole lot of confidence in a one Mr. Charlie Whitehurst.

This tells me a couple things. We are drafting a young guy and probably bringing in a veteran or one back (Matt). Doesn't take a genious to understand that they don't think he is going to start next year.

FWBrodie
04-22-2011, 01:29 PM
So "Charlie will get a chance to win the starting job" means Charlie doesn't have a chance? Come on. Apparently it does take a genius to understand.

alexander_37
04-22-2011, 01:44 PM
Seahawks GM in an interview said that Charlie will have the opportunity to compete for the starting job. Given that he is the "only" QB on the Seahawks roster that doesn't sound like he has a whole lot of confidence in a one Mr. Charlie Whitehurst.

This tells me a couple things. We are drafting a young guy and probably bringing in a veteran or one back (Matt). Doesn't take a genious to understand that they don't think he is going to start next year.

That doesn't even make sense bro. Even if we had Peyton Manning they obviously will not keep only one QB. Even if they did plan on starting Whitehurst you never know what will happen. Maybe we get the chance to trade for someone like Kolb on the cheap? You can't name Cholly the starter then take it away before he starts once because you found someone else.

BTW apparently it takes a genius to spell genius ... genious.

bluetechsec
04-23-2011, 03:32 PM

Anyone who hopes their team "does not win alot" of games.... I question of they are a true fan of the NFL.

You know...the draft is not the only way to acquire players.........

Boozerguy47
04-23-2011, 04:51 PM
^ Doesn't look like that quote is anything along the lines of hoping we lose just so we can get a good pick. Whoever thinks we'll go over 500 isn't paying attention.

House
04-23-2011, 05:16 PM
No one should "root" for us to lose...

I can see the pessimism with our schedule just being released, but NO ONE knows how we're going to do it...

FWBrodie
04-23-2011, 08:57 PM
Anyone who hopes their team "does not win alot" of games.... I question of they are a true fan of the NFL.

You know...the draft is not the only way to acquire players.........

A) Don't question people's fandom. That's a major douchebag move.

B) Reread his post.

FWBrodie
04-23-2011, 09:02 PM
^ Doesn't look like that quote is anything along the lines of hoping we lose just so we can get a good pick. Whoever thinks we'll go over 500 isn't paying attention.

Agreed. This team is sooooo much worse than people want to believe based on a fluke playoff run. I mean they have one or two legit offensive line starters if you count Andrews, no 3 tech, two DL starters coming off of surgery, no QB, no SS, no #1 WR. There is a ton of work to do before this team becomes legit.

bluetechsec
04-23-2011, 09:48 PM
Yeah I probably should have had my coffee before I wrote the post....and phrased it differently..Im sure the guy is a fan.

But I just get tired of the eternal pessimists...the team is not as bad as you guys are saying...true we have holes...but we also have up and coming players..........

Dont write off Obomanu from maturing into a great receiver.......
Dont forget this will be the 2nd year the players play together...
Maybe if our quarterback wasnt crap...we wouldve won more than 7 games...

I mean...NOBODY picked Tampa to do what they did...........from 3-13 to 10-6.

WITH 10 ROOKIES.......I am sure their team had eternal pessimists too...

Caribou Lou
04-23-2011, 09:54 PM
Exactly. Who guessed going into last season that we would have 7 wins? The Seahawks were an over-achieving team last season and now people are guessing a 9-7 season next year? Are they really that much better than last year already? I mean there's always a shot in the west to make a playoff run, but Brodie's right, this team's got alot of work to get where they need to be.

FWBrodie
04-24-2011, 04:03 PM
Yeah I probably should have had my coffee before I wrote the post....and phrased it differently..Im sure the guy is a fan.

But I just get tired of the eternal pessimists...the team is not as bad as you guys are saying...true we have holes...but we also have up and coming players..........

Dont write off Obomanu from maturing into a great receiver.......
Dont forget this will be the 2nd year the players play together...
Maybe if our quarterback wasnt crap...we wouldve won more than 7 games...

I mean...NOBODY picked Tampa to do what they did...........from 3-13 to 10-6.

WITH 10 ROOKIES.......I am sure their team had eternal pessimists too...

Josh Freeman. Find a QB and you're right, things will look better.

Seattle4Ever
04-24-2011, 08:49 PM
People are quite ignorant.

bruser23
04-25-2011, 03:37 AM
I've been in Charlie's corner since we traded for him. He hasn't done anything to prove he's good, but he hasn't done anything for me to say he's bad.

What we know is he has more upside than Matthew does. We also know he's the only QB on our roster right now. We've made an attempt to sign Matt but he isn't worth the money he wants. A rookie will be just as unproven as Charlie is, the only difference is Charlie has had a year to play with the other players on our team and learn the playbook.

I would hate if we picked up Vince Young he's too much of a head case for me to be comfortable with him at QB. Although, if Vince wins the job I can't argue.

alexander_37
04-25-2011, 10:25 AM
I've been in Charlie's corner since we traded for him. He hasn't done anything to prove he's good, but he hasn't done anything for me to say he's bad.

What we know is he has more upside than Matthew does. We also know he's the only QB on our roster right now. We've made an attempt to sign Matt but he isn't worth the money he wants. A rookie will be just as unproven as Charlie is, the only difference is Charlie has had a year to play with the other players on our team and learn the playbook.

I would hate if we picked up Vince Young he's too much of a head case for me to be comfortable with him at QB. Although, if Vince wins the job I can't argue.

But with a new OC I expect the playbook to change. Also the old one was pretty much designed for Matt so I think an offense centered around Whitehurst would benefit him.

House
04-25-2011, 10:36 AM
Charlie will start this year and put up 20 TDs and 13-14 INTs. Nothing outstanding, but better than what Matt has produced in the past 3-4 years.

FWBrodie
04-25-2011, 11:35 AM
But with a new OC I expect the playbook to change. Also the old one was pretty much designed for Matt so I think an offense centered around Whitehurst would benefit him.

A) Pete Carroll has said things won't really be changing scheme wise.

B) A playbook built around QB rollouts and a bunch of deep routes was built for Matt? No.

Seattle4Ever
04-25-2011, 06:06 PM
Charlie will start this year and put up 20 TDs and 13-14 INTs. Nothing outstanding, but better than what Matt has produced in the past 3-4 years.

I believe 2007 was his last good year statistically.

House
04-25-2011, 06:08 PM
I believe 2007 was his last good year statistically.

Yeah. Horrible isn't the word for 2008-2010

Seattle4Ever
04-25-2011, 06:12 PM
Yeah. Horrible isn't the word for 2008-2010

At least the lockout is lifted!

House
04-27-2011, 12:28 PM
Charlie's Chance of Starting
While the discussion over the Seattle Seahawks' potentially drafting a first-round quarterback has dominated a lot of the conversation, and the situation with Matt Hasselbeck has also generated a lot of chatter, Charlie Whitehurst remains the lone incumbent QB on the team's roster after they waived Nate Davis, previously signed to a reserve/future contract. So where is the well-coiffed QB's place in the pecking order?

During the team's pre-draft press conference Tuesday, Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll confirmed that "Whitehurst is going to throw his hat in the ring and try to be the starting quarterback here." (H/T to Liz Matthews of 710 ESPN Radio (Seattle) for the quote).

Whitehurst could've made the Seahawks' offseason less stressful by being either better or worse last season. Had he beaten out Hasselbeck for the starting gig outright, they'd have their QB of the future. Had he laid an egg in the team's NFC West-clinching win in Week 17, they might be ready to move on from him entirely. As it is, the uncertainty gives him another shot at the job, and if offseason practices and training camp are affected by the labor strife, he may have a leg up on any hypothetical draftee.

- Tim Kavanagh

We'll just have to see what happens. If Carson Palmer is traded for, CW's chance of starting is 0%