PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Roy near tears during Game 2

Gators123
04-20-2011, 05:39 AM
http://eye-on-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/28674308

Portland Trail Blazers guard Brandon Roy showed up to training camp a lesser player, no longer as explosive as he had been in back-to-back-to-back All-Star seasons. After two midseason knee surgeries, he's been even more limited, shifting from his starting two guard spot to a reserve role during the playoff drive and struggling through the least productive month of his NBA career.

During a Game 2 loss to the Dallas Mavericks, Roy and the rest of Portland's bench struggled badly to produce. Roy saw his minutes cut from 26 in Game 1, in which he played virtually all of the fourth quarter, to just eight in Game 2, where he sat for the entire third quarter and the final 9:42 of the fourth. Roy finished with 0 points, 0 rebounds, 0 assists, 0 steals and one turnover.

After the game, Roy told The Oregonian that he nearly cried during the game because he wasn't getting much run.

“There was a point in the first half, and I was thinking 'You better not cry,''' Roy said. “I mean, serious. I mean, there was a moment where I felt really sorry for myself. Then I was like, nah, you can't be sorry for yourself. I'm a grown man, but there was a moment there that I felt sorry for myself. Especially when I think I can still help.''

Roy was one of the first players to leave the locker room, but when he was stopped in the hallway, the hurt and confusion were still evident.

“I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little hurt, or disappointed,'' Roy said. “But the biggest thing is to keep moving, to try and keep my spirits up. But it's tough man. I just …. I just always thought I would be treated better. That was a little disappointing for me.''

Roy has maintained for the last month that his struggles are mental and that his knees feel fine after arthroscopic surgery earlier this season. He's also talked at length, since before the surgeries, about his need to adjust his game to accomodate his physical changes.

There is a clear disconnect for Roy. While his knees feel good that doesn't necessarily mean that he's the player he once was, nor even a productive player. A lack of swelling or pain doesn't equal 25 points a night, or 10 points a night. Or, even, a single point on Tuesday night. Playing without pain doesn't mean he's playing well. Those two have long gone hand in hand for Roy in the past, but that simply hasn't been the case for months now.

When Roy says his struggles are purely mental, he's either kidding himself or he hasn't fully come to terms with his current abilities. Scouts, former players, media observers and fans see a player whose quickness and power off the dribble have disappeared, a player whose ball fake and dribble combinations no longer mesmerize, a player whose lift is gone, a player who has been a defensive liability -- slow laterally, slow to rotate, slow to close out -- for the entire season, and a player whose confidence is clearly shaken.

Is it possible that Roy regains his form in the future? Absolutely. Is McMillan correct to pin Roy to the bench during the playoffs right now? Absolutely.

No one wants Roy to succeed more than McMillan. The two share a bond, having literally turned a franchise around together. Few coaches would have let him play 26 ineffective minutes in Game 1 -- Roy shot 1-7, scored two points, grabbed two rebounds and dished three assists -- before pulling the plug. McMillan arguably gave Roy more power and offensive control than he should have for the better part of three seasons, and he unfailingly backed Roy as the team's best option no matter the results. McMillan wants Roy to be able to play well as much as anyone besides Roy himself and Roy's immediate family members.

Seen in that context, it's clearly no easy decision for McMillan to sit Roy. But it is the right one. Roy, who has been honest to a fault since he entered the NBA, isn't expected to be happy about that. With that said, a level of composure is required, especially during the middle of a playoff series. The last thing the Blazers need -- down 0-2 to a deeper and more talented Dallas team -- is a distraction.

And Roy's comments will surely become exactly that.

Wade>You
04-20-2011, 06:03 AM
Scary and sad. Knock on wood that no great players have to go through what Roy did.

NetsPaint
04-20-2011, 06:19 AM
Sad. Hopefully Andre Miller can help his career since gets things done without the athleticism.

The Blazers should go the distance to find the best doctors if they haven't already.

Jewelz0376
04-20-2011, 06:28 AM
That's too bad...Hopefully he'll be able to reinvent his game and have a successful career...

Can't imagine how that must feel to go from one of the top sg's in the league to a bench warmer in such a short time...at least he got his big contract though...

Antipod
04-20-2011, 06:41 AM
Oden...Roy ... sad :(

Crackadalic
04-20-2011, 07:54 AM
Feel really bad for the guy. He was a top 3 sg before the injury. Wish him the best of luck

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-20-2011, 08:01 AM
Like I said it before, he's done

kingbrentg
04-20-2011, 08:18 AM
Roy is one of the last players I'd want to see this happen to. Such a shame.

D-Block21-Chito
04-20-2011, 09:29 AM
I feel for portland man they have it rough. Imagine a healthy oden and roy.... Damn good team

The Jokemaker
04-20-2011, 09:32 AM
And this my friends is why you stay in school and get a degree. You never know when you go pro when you'll suffer a serious injury and have to cut your pro career short. And when that happens you have to look for jobs elsewhere.

metsfanssince05
04-20-2011, 09:38 AM
Sad story.. It does suck.. If it were me till the day I drop dead when ever I see NBA players on the court I would be crying every time. But I'm sure they will give him something to do. It sucks when something you love is gone, but on the other hand he is just a regular person and makes millions of dollers, I would love to be in his shoes right now.

jzero
04-20-2011, 09:45 AM
Sad. Hopefully Andre Miller can help his career since gets things done without the athleticism.

The Blazers should go the distance to find the best doctors if they haven't already.
im pretty sure they've accessed every ****ing doctor for every ****ing ailment in America

dodie53
04-20-2011, 09:45 AM
just rest if you're hurt

Sixerlover
04-20-2011, 09:47 AM
I feel bad for B.ROY man. A great player who is a really good guy off the court too.

DITKA4GOV
04-20-2011, 09:52 AM
just rest if you're hurt

Why post if your not reading the entire story? Its not that he's hurt and needs rest..... that is not the point.

FOBolous
04-20-2011, 09:54 AM
why does bad things keep happening to good people? Roy doesn't deserve this. Oden doesn't deserve this. Yao doesn't deserve this. all of these players are class acts and consumate professionals. they don't deserve the career ending injuries they've gotten. it's not fair.

marlinsfan24
04-20-2011, 10:02 AM
This is such a sad story. Kid had such a promising young career.

chitownbears89
04-20-2011, 10:09 AM
why does bad things keep happening to good people? Roy doesn't deserve this. Oden doesn't deserve this. Yao doesn't deserve this. all of these players are class acts and consumate professionals. they don't deserve the career ending injuries they've gotten. it's not fair.

Lol you sound like a 4 yr old. Nobody deserves injuries just a part of the game.

jockrider
04-20-2011, 10:12 AM
And this my friends is why you stay in school and get a degree. You never know when you go pro when you'll suffer a serious injury and have to cut your pro career short. And when that happens you have to look for jobs elsewhere.

with the money he's making he never has to work really.

Sly Guy
04-20-2011, 10:52 AM
it's sad, but watching him in those games, it just looks like he doesn't have stability out there. It's like he doesn't have confidence in turning a hard corner anymore.

MrfadeawayJB
04-20-2011, 10:52 AM
with the money he's making he never has to work really.

yeah i agree, luckily for him he is set for life. It still has to be tough to get something you are so passionate about and love basically stripped away from you

Gibby23
04-20-2011, 11:04 AM

Roy is still getting paid like one of the top guys in the NBA. Even the guys that get drafted in the first round are guaranteed about 3 million at the least over 4 years. To make 3 million a person would have to make $100,000 for 30 years. You could live well with 3 million and nothing else for the rest of your life, just have to invest it right.

Niro
04-20-2011, 11:08 AM

actualy its the other way around

this is why you join the draft as soon as possible

when you are a projected top 10 pick go ahead and get your money

i dont think that there is a good chance that any player would earn as much with a normal job as they do after 2 years of nba

koetravis
04-20-2011, 11:32 AM

He went all 4 years.

The Jokemaker
04-20-2011, 11:37 AM
He went all 4 years.

I know. It wasn't directed at him but for all players in general. It's important to get your education and have a backup plan.

ShakeN'Bake
04-20-2011, 11:42 AM
I feel bad for him. I really liked him while he played in college and had hoped for great things out of him.

Ray_R
04-20-2011, 12:17 PM

I'm pretty sure he spent four years in college and went back to get his degree over one of his off seasons.

My Bad Jokemaker I just saw you respond. YOu can ignore it.

IO really do feel bad for Brandon Roy because he was one of the most humble likable guy.

fadedmario
04-20-2011, 12:41 PM
Feel bad for him. I know he's rich but he's young and his career is going to be cut short. Portland has some bad luck. A healthy Oden and Roy would be scary with the rest of their lineup.

Raph12
04-20-2011, 12:43 PM
Scary and sad. Knock on wood that no great players have to go through what Roy did.

Roy was on pace to be a great player after his 3rd season... Then the injuries hit.

I feel sorry for the guy, but he needs to come to terms with his injury, he'll never be the player he once was... It's a shame, but he has to move forward.

FlakeyFool
04-20-2011, 12:45 PM
What is he crying about? Hes getting paid a kings ransom to sit on the bench

magichatnumber9
04-20-2011, 12:48 PM
Brandon Roy has a funny voice. WEIRD maybe the better word

Slimsim
04-20-2011, 12:49 PM
How many people would say this is sad if the player was bosh, Amare LBJ, Carmelo or derrick rose ?

Chi StateOfMind
04-20-2011, 12:50 PM
its sounds bad and i feel sorry for him but to have the oppurtunity to play in the NBA and be one of the best sg's during his playing time anyone would want that...no one wants to get injured but everyone isnt blessed to play forever...i wish him the best and i hope he plays till he cant but im sure most wouldnt mind the money afterwards

AIRMAR72
04-20-2011, 12:53 PM
That's too bad...Hopefully he'll be able to reinvent his game and have a successful career...

Can't imagine how that must feel to go from one of the top sg's in the league to a bench warmer in such a short time...at least he got his big contract though...

IT happens look at Grant Hill

jiggin
04-20-2011, 01:31 PM
“I can’t deal with how it’s going now next year,” Roy said. “I can’t deal with a full season of how I’m doing now. It just messes with you because it’s draining. It drains you. But again, these guys are my teammates and I got to support them.

“But mentally, it’s tough. It’s tougher then people think.”

TRADE HIM!

Aldridge was actually drafted ahead of Roy...so in the end, the lead runner is seems to be winning the race.

If the Blazers can get him and his medicals sold to another team, he could land the Blazers some serious return, especially if they can swap out some salary and add a pick or something.

With the Blazers core around for a bit...if they can add some significant role players to highlight what is coming back next year, they could be very good.

So...do you feed the baby or do you let em' cry it out...?

MFFL==FML
04-20-2011, 01:39 PM
TRADE HIM!

Aldridge was actually drafted ahead of Roy...so in the end, the lead runner is seems to be winning the race.

If the Blazers can get him and his medicals sold to another team, he could land the Blazers some serious return, especially if they can swap out some salary and add a pick or something.

With the Blazers core around for a bit...if they can add some significant role players to highlight what is coming back next year, they could be very good.

So...do you feed the baby or do you let em' cry it out...?

Who the hell wants Roy now? His contract sucks *** and he provides very little, if any, positives. I am a HUGE fan of Roy, one of the most humble players I have seen in a long time (probably next to Duncan and Nowitzki), but that is not going to help your team win.

ManRam
04-20-2011, 02:38 PM
Haven't read the thread...but here are my gut thoughts.

I couldn't stop thinking about how he wasn't even going to get 10 minutes in that game while watching it last night.

Incredibly sad. Sucks to have it all taken away from you that fast, and knowing that there is nothing you can do to fix it. This isn't like having microfracture surgery or a torn ACL...this is something that can't be fixed and you can't just rehab hard and come back.

I can't imagine what it feels like to be sitting on that bench as him. Granted, I'd give my left nut to be him, but still...you gotta feel for him.

I don't mind him being honest. I'm sure he wants his team to win, but let's be real, we all know he's gotta be thinking this. I don't mind him opening up. I believe this was a direct response to a question too, asking what he was thinking sitting there. So again, I don't blame him for being honest.

iggypop123
04-20-2011, 02:38 PM
ill be honest. roy should shut up. go swim in your money. this is almost like conan obrien *****ing about his job. you're getting 80 mil to play basketball. just sit there and collect that cash

Punk
04-20-2011, 02:40 PM

:facepalm:

I'd really expect Chris Bosh to say this.

bovice163
04-20-2011, 02:43 PM
ill be honest. roy should shut up. go swim in your money. this is almost like conan obrien *****ing about his job. you're getting 80 mil to play basketball. just sit there and collect that cash

Some people just want to play basketball instead of sitting and rotting on the bench. Those with a weak and simple mind care only about the money.

I feel really bad for Roy. Such a humble and talented guy, and imo definitely the last one deserving of this. Just gotta keep your head up though and stay at it.

netsgiantsyanks
04-20-2011, 02:44 PM

but he stayed in college the full 4 years :confused:

EDIT: never mind. i see what your saying.

netsgiantsyanks
04-20-2011, 02:46 PM

your name suites you well

Ebbs
04-20-2011, 02:46 PM
It sucks Roy was an awesome player to watch and I loved his game. I would love to see him do some real rehab this offseason work his butt off and come back and prove the public wrong. But at the moment Matthews and Miller are playing better can't blame Portland for giving them the minutes.

jiggin
04-20-2011, 02:57 PM
Who the hell wants Roy now? His contract sucks *** and he provides very little, if any, positives. I am a HUGE fan of Roy, one of the most humble players I have seen in a long time (probably next to Duncan and Nowitzki), but that is not going to help your team win.

he says he is fine but isn't getting the time to get into a rhythm to help...like he use too.

I would imagine someone would take a flier on him if the blazers bite on some of the contract and his med records are seriously looked at...I mean, he says he is pain free... :) ;)

Geargo Wallace
04-20-2011, 03:00 PM
Why do ppl keep talking about money? If any of you had to sit and watch your house league team play w/o you cuz you were injured, you'd ****ing hate it. I'd be crying my *** off if I were Roy. Being young and losing something you love is awful. It's a ****ing tragedy for him and for us that we can't watch such a great player dominate anymore.

still1ballin
04-20-2011, 03:08 PM
Very sad

Topballs
04-20-2011, 03:09 PM
Its humbling to see a player admit that he was feeling sorry for himself. I feel so bad for the guy. He was such a stud. Had a couple unreal seasons, and it was looking like he was going to be one of the best players in the league for years to come. It's such a hard situation for these guys to have to go through. Shawn Livingston was also on his way to becoming a very solid player too. I feel for these guys. I have been guilty in the past of saying things like "what are they complaining about, they get paid millions of dollars" but in the case of a guy losing his body to injury.. its just sad.

tyfreaks brotha
04-20-2011, 03:10 PM
Wow, y'all some haters. Haters gunna hate. I feel sorry for the kid, once you're at the top of career next you're a bench warmer. I really hope he goes to the Suns. Cuz they have a pretty good training staff. Look what they did to Hill.

roshan3ai
04-20-2011, 03:10 PM
That was tough to swallow. I feel so bad for him. He was a joy to watch but knowing he will never be the same player just makes me upset. Hopefully he'll still be able to contribute to the team in some way.

WolvesJagsOs
04-20-2011, 03:11 PM
Roy is one of the last players I'd want to see this happen to. Such a shame.

totally agree. Roy is awsome man, great guy.

Lisound15
you people are missing the point. I dont care how much he's getting paid, when you love something and it is the most important thing in your life, and you cant perform to the ability that youre capable of , its frustrating. Imagine how he feels knowing that he was the star of the franchise, and then gets hurt in his prime, basically turning him into a bench warmer. When you love a game the way most of these players do, your emotions become directly connected to the game. I feel terrible for him, and anybody bashing him for feeling that way simply has never really cared about anything in their life.

tyfreaks brotha
totally agree. Roy is awsome man, great guy.

This.

JRisdabest
04-20-2011, 03:15 PM
roy was such a beast when he was healthy

ManRam
04-20-2011, 03:59 PM
you people are missing the point. I dont care how much he's getting paid, when you love something and it is the most important thing in your life, and you cant perform to the ability that youre capable of , its frustrating. Imagine how he feels knowing that he was the star of the franchise, and then gets hurt in his prime, basically turning him into a bench warmer. When you love a game the way most of these players do, your emotions become directly connected to the game. I feel terrible for him, and anybody bashing him for feeling that way simply has never really cared about anything in their life.

I agree. There's more to it besides the money, and money doesn't make everyone happy. He's sad because he can't play, not because of the money, and the money won't make him happy about it. Sure, it helps, and we'd all kill to be him, but that doesn't mean he should be happy about how his career basically has come to a complete halt.

And the college thing...it's not hard to go back to college and finish up. I doubt he'll need a formal education; he'll get a job because he was an NBA player if he needs/wants one...whether it be broadcasting, or via connections. But still, now's not the time to criticize him for not spending all 4 years in college. The opportunity to be a top 10 pick was there, and he took it. If he needs that degree, like I said, he can go back and get it. That's not hard to do.

Glad people aren't ripping on him...this doesn't warrant it. I doubt his team took offense to this at all, if anything it will motivate them more, and motivate him more.

Black-Mamba-24
04-20-2011, 04:06 PM
i hate to see roy on bench , but i have a feeling that this summer he will recover to be a 16- 18 ppg avg guy . which is still pretty decent

Missing56&33
04-20-2011, 04:18 PM
Why would he admit to this? All Dallas did was defend home court. Here we are in the heat of a playoff battle and all you could do on the bench is think about yourself. Was there any advice you could give to the guys coming in the game or to the huddle. Was you rallying your fellow team mates? Now is not the time for self pity of selfishness. At least your still able to play. Oden can't even get on the court.

Damn I miss the 90's

Purple&Gold24
04-20-2011, 04:32 PM
That sucks. He'll be fine next season.

nolin
04-20-2011, 04:47 PM

i agree Dr. Phil.. Lucky for roy he stayed his 4 years

ManRam
04-20-2011, 05:08 PM
That sucks. He'll be fine next season.

What makes you say that?

The news is that he has literally no menisci left in either knees. He can't even be operated on because there's nothing to work with in them. Menisci are strictly supportive/shock absorbing cartilage. Without them, his knees just aren't going to be the same ever. The femur and the tibia don't articulate properly without the menisci. It's gonna be a persistent and chronic problem. His knees will probably be extremely arthritic at a much younger age than normal.

He's never going to be the same player. He definitely has the ability to be more than a 8-minute a game player, but I highly doubt he'll be "fine" next year...assuming "fine" means all-star version Brandon Roy.

smith&wesson
04-20-2011, 05:14 PM
why do ppl keep talking about money? If any of you had to sit and watch your house league team play w/o you cuz you were injured, you'd ****ing hate it. I'd be crying my *** off if i were roy. Being young and losing something you love is awful. It's a ****ing tragedy for him and for us that we can't watch such a great player dominate anymore.

x2

spreadeagle
04-20-2011, 05:19 PM

yup,although im sure most ex pro's could get jobs coaching high school or small college's

DMasta718
04-20-2011, 05:20 PM

How would you feel if the game you loved playing for years and being able to a top league in the world and be effective was all of a sudden taken away? I'm pretty sure some of these players don't only play in the NBA for money.

pd1dish
04-20-2011, 05:21 PM
being a portland fan must really be depressing. oden had the potential to be great and roy was great and injuries just ruined those guys

koreancabbage
04-20-2011, 05:38 PM
cry-gate part 2

rwynyc
04-20-2011, 06:05 PM
I am 32, and just had surgery on my ankle so I can continue to play ball. I also have knee chondromalcia which is a total killer for basketball. I pretty much can play 1 a week now, and it bothers the hell out of me.

I could not imagine having that talent at his age and not being able to do anything with it. That is the type of **** that will make any grown man cry.

h2r09
04-20-2011, 06:48 PM
was a really good player, not a superstar, but very good and its sad that it will probably end like this. i think its up to the blazers organization to at least offer him a permanent job with good money for everything he has gone through.

homestarunner93
04-20-2011, 06:50 PM
Remember two years ago when everyone on PSD used to talk about what a dynasty the Blazers would be? That hope is fading fast...

Baller1
04-20-2011, 06:54 PM
It's an absolute shame that such a great player and genuine person is never going to get to fulfill his, what would have been, hall of fame career.

I really hope he finds a way to be successful, and become the Grant Hill of this generation/era.

Lim
04-20-2011, 08:32 PM

lol u have it backwards, the reason ppl leave school for the NBA is because they fear if they stay in school there is a chance that they could get a career ending injury and then no one will want them. so all they get is a college degree and no big pay day from the NBA. the right move is to declare for the NBA when your stock is at its highest value to greater increase your chances of a huge payday. If somehow you fail in the NBA you can always go back to school..

buch88
04-20-2011, 08:36 PM
gotta feel for the guy. he was on his way to being a perennial all star and a great young talent. so unfortunate that major injury messed him up. i dont blame him for wanting to cry one bit. the sky was the limit for him.

hyb152
04-20-2011, 08:39 PM
I am 32, and just had surgery on my ankle so I can continue to play ball. I also have knee chondromalcia which is a total killer for basketball. I pretty much can play 1 a week now, and it bothers the hell out of me.

I could not imagine having that talent at his age and not being able to do anything with it. That is the type of **** that will make any grown man cry.

AMEN dude amen

mdm692
04-20-2011, 08:43 PM
Theres much needed spot in the phx roster maybe the best athletic trainers in nba can revitalize his career

MJ-BULLS
04-20-2011, 08:52 PM
Sucks for Portland. Once a franchise thought to have a real bright future isn't really looking too good right now.

Oden and Roy. Such a disappointment, but feel sorry for both of them.

JB0B0
04-20-2011, 08:54 PM
I feel for portland man they have it rough. Imagine a healthy oden and roy.... Damn good team

Miller
Roy (healthy)
Wallace
Aldridge
Oden (healthy)

That team easily finishes top 3 in the west.

SA5195
04-20-2011, 08:55 PM
I feel bad, Roy was one of my favorite players, never imagined him going through all this.

zB_#85
04-20-2011, 08:57 PM
quit feeling sorry for yourself B.Roy, at least the injury happened after your pay day hahaha! It would be appropriate to feel sorry for himself if the injury happened in a contract year before he got his money.

In all seriousness though- I feel so bad for Portland fans. I'm pretty sure LMA is going to have a career ending injury soon.

rabzouz 96
04-20-2011, 09:01 PM
yeah i bet he bites him in the *** for going pro and getting a multimillion contract before his knees were done with a chance and enough money to sill get a degree.

Slimsim
04-20-2011, 09:05 PM
Al Buckets

DaBUU
04-21-2011, 12:48 AM
Blazers got some **** luck as an organization, almost Cub-esque

IBleedPurple
04-21-2011, 12:58 AM
Blazers got some **** luck as an organization, almost Cub-esque

Agreed, and I like to see them do well (not too well, being a Nuggets fan & all). They have gotten some incredibly bad luck. I can empathize being a Vikings fan.

hgtiger32
04-21-2011, 01:44 AM

maybe because he plays for something other than the money. maybe he loves the game of basketball so much that it kills him that he can't help out his teammates and perform.

NBA-GMaster
04-21-2011, 11:49 AM
Poor Brandon Roy.. I was thinking, if the wolves dont get the 1 overall pick, they could swap their pick(probably a top 3 pick) to Blazers for Roy..