PDA

View Full Version : Why did the Knicks not foul at the end?

davids22
04-20-2011, 02:24 AM
It looked like they gave up completely. There was plenty of time to foul and then bring the ball up court for a quick shot after the free throws. Instead Rondo just ran around and no one seemed to even be trailing him.

Kashmir13579
04-20-2011, 02:26 AM
It was Delonte West and the Knicks made a huge mistake.

rwynyc
04-20-2011, 02:28 AM
That type of discipline starts with the coach.

Fool
04-20-2011, 02:29 AM
I thought they tried but just couldn't catch the guy who caught the inbound, which came from their poor inbound defense. I don't know though, I wasn't watching very closely.

championships
04-20-2011, 02:33 AM
The coach probably didn't pound, into the players heads, That they have to foul right away. They should have known to anyways but it's up to the coach to make sure they do.

JB0B0
D'Antoni

BleedingGreen9
they gave up after jj choked

knicks_champ
04-20-2011, 02:40 AM
they gave up after jj choked

I doubt they gave up with only down by 1. I think West had a great break once the ball was in play and that Melo was slow to break.

Like the great Clyde Frazier says that rule is bad they should never be allowed to go back there. But hey it was a fair win so nothing we can do but look ahead to game 3.

PC
04-20-2011, 02:45 AM
I think Kerr or Marv Albert mentioned it but it seemed like they didn't know the rule that they were allowed to inbound in the back court

knicks_champ
04-20-2011, 02:54 AM
I think Kerr or Marv Albert mentioned it but it seemed like they didn't know the rule that they were allowed to inbound in the back court

Yeah I figured that too. Oh well time to move on to the next game. :cool:

davids22
04-20-2011, 03:20 AM

Didn't know the rule? They're paid professionals, that's unacceptable.

NYKnicksAllDay
04-20-2011, 03:22 AM
Didn't know the rule? They're paid professionals, that's unacceptable.

This. I was screaming at my TV for them to go get him and foul. I don't know what they were thinking.

theSPECIALKID
04-20-2011, 03:26 AM
lol at not knowing the rule... that is pathetic....

GREATNESS ONE
04-20-2011, 03:30 AM
I am a firm believer that the Knicks will be winning or competing for a title soon. I Just think they're a major organization and I see the Owner spending money to build a competitor. Hell he's been spending it on crap for so long, the team finally has pieces to build around in Stat and Melo. I think very highly of Carmelo Anthony but when I saw him quit at the end while I was screaming at my television wondering what the hell was going on without a foul. I just lost it and wonder if this man actually can bring a title to NY.

D1JM
04-20-2011, 03:33 AM
Melo stopped like wtf, oh snap I have to foul

Whomewhome
04-20-2011, 03:34 AM
That's what happens when you breed a team that doesn't play defense

KnicksFan1024
04-20-2011, 03:34 AM
I am a firm believer that the Knicks will be winning or competing for a title soon. I Just think they're a major organization and I see the Owner spending money to build a competitor. Hell he's been spending it on crap for so long, the team finally has pieces to build around in Stat and Melo. I think very highly of Carmelo Anthony but when I saw him quit at the end while I was screaming at my television wondering what the hell was going on without a foul. I just lost it and wonder if this man actually can bring a title to NY.

He did not quit man. Dude was so gassed... he played the entire 2nd half. He had to do everything.... score, rebound, facilitate, guard paul pierce... it was unfair. Our entire team is Carmelo, Amare and Billups and 2 out of 3 were injured so the entire load fell on Carmelo.

And he did foul west eventually but it took too long....

Whomewhome
04-20-2011, 03:40 AM
He did not quit man. Dude was so gassed... he played the entire 2nd half. He had to do everything.... score, rebound, facilitate, guard paul pierce... it was unfair. Our entire team is Carmelo, Amare and Billups and 2 out of 3 were injured so the entire load fell on Carmelo.

I agree with you. Melo had to do everything, but if Melo wants to be great he needs to get that foul! That's what the greats would have done. This is the playoffs!

GREATNESS ONE
04-20-2011, 03:42 AM

He played great and I loved the way he made the right pass out of the late Big Baby double teams but in my opinion he kinda gave up at the end when the Celtics look to have the game at hand.

I'm not calling him a quitter and definitely not saying that moment is going to define his career. Just look like he gave up today.

Crackadalic
04-20-2011, 03:48 AM
melo had 5 fouls so he didnt want to get that 6th but that his mistake for not fouling. If he did foul on time and they some how tie the game melo would be fouled out and it would have been over in OT so either way it doesnt matter. on to game 3

D1JM
04-20-2011, 03:59 AM
melo had 5 fouls so he didnt want to get that 6th but that his mistake for not fouling. If he did foul on time and they some how tie the game melo would be fouled out and it would have been over in OT so either way it doesnt matter. on to game 3

The game was over supposably when amare did not return. However, they were still there. D antoni should of taken out Melo for that possession and had a person to commit that foul or Melo should of fouled and gave the Knicks a shot at ot.

GREATNESS ONE
04-20-2011, 04:06 AM
I can't wait to see MSG rock the house in game 3 that place is going to be awesome.

dodie53
04-20-2011, 04:15 AM
poor coaching

AddiX
04-20-2011, 04:15 AM
Our coach ran a play to jeffries in a clutch situation, and your asking why we didnt foul?

Bad Coaching, its that simple.

Jewelz0376
04-20-2011, 04:35 AM
The whole he was gassed reason doesn't make sense.., I understand he played a lot, but they were coming out of a timeout...There is no way he would be too tired to spring 20 feet and foul after a timeout...

I honestly think he just didn't know they could throw it in the back court so he was caught by surprise...

NYKnicksAllDay
04-20-2011, 04:41 AM
I had thought it was against the rules to throw the ball into the backcourt. I knew it wasn't against the rules in high school and college, but for some reason I had thought it was in the NBA.

Champology
04-20-2011, 06:05 AM
Problably the same reason they took a off balance 3 pointer witha guy in Melo's face with 6 seconds left in game 1, INSTEAD of taking it to the HOOP!...Dumb team, dumber Coach

X12Celtics3
04-20-2011, 06:20 AM
As a C's fan, I thought that was great... I couldn't believe that they didn't have anybody in position to catch West, I was expecting a quick foul so NY would have a chance to tie it up.

Sportfan
04-20-2011, 10:21 AM
Melo was going to take the last shot, so it's really on the other guys for not protecting melo. Douglas should have been all over West

jp611
04-20-2011, 10:27 AM
I was laughing my *** off when I saw it

PhillyFaninLA
04-20-2011, 10:51 AM
I don't blame the coach. This is the end of a NBA playoff game. If you on the floor at that point you have enough basketball experience to know to foul and you just dropped the ball.

Yes a D'Antonio should have and maybe did say foul after the inbound but in this type of situation if you in the NBA you have played and watched enough basketball to know what needs to be done in that situation and they just didn't. That is a heart, determination, and focus issue.

I'd also add that I have said that you don't win titles with some elite level (borderline HOF or HOF'ers) talent players and A'mare and Melo (I also threw in T.O., and Randy Moss) are players I feel fit that example but Billups is not that type. If Billups was on the floor the right play would have been made. There is a reason that Denver and Phoenix never won more then they did despite having the talent to do it. Not trying to start a new debate, just offer my observations that are consistent across all sports on certain types of elite players.

jimm120
04-20-2011, 10:53 AM
poor coaching

Ding ding ding ding!

Finally!

POOR coaching. Simple as that.

I don't understand why people aren't saying this.

It was poor coaching.

out of the 6 games the Knicks have played against Boston, EVERY game has gone down to the fourth quarter.

1st game: Knicks down 103-101 and couldn't execute because of a disorganized offense.

2nd game: Amare got free for the 3 pointer but really, the play had to be with whomever caught the ball had to be going towards the basket because there wasn't enough time. Bad offense.

3rd game: Knicks up by 10 in the fourth quarter. Pierce, along with good offensive plays, allows the Celtics to come back and win it. It all started around the 6/5 minute mark of the 4th quarter.

4th game: Game is Null since it was the final game of the season.

Playoff #1: Final minute execution. Knicks look disorganized on offense in the final 3 plays (aside for the BS Melo offensive foul). Celtics take the lead not on bad defense, but because there was bad offense.

Playoff #2: Final minute execution. Knicks look disorganized on offense. If it wasn't for our players getting an offensive rebound and going adlib with Jeffries scoring, we would have lost right there and then. But aside for that lucky offensive rebound, Knicks failed on offense 3 times. Plus, the defense was just wrong. Wrong defensive matchups. Wrong inbounding defence (again...first allyoop in game 1 and now the no foul in game 2).

So, what does all of this have in common?

Superior Celtic coaching. D'anotni has NOT done anything good enough for the 4th quarter. He rode Melo to that close of a game. The plays just weren't good. At all.

stawka
04-20-2011, 10:54 AM
Because KG fouled Douglas and the Knicks were rattled because of that :rolleyes:

jimm120
04-20-2011, 10:55 AM
As a C's fan, I thought that was great... I couldn't believe that they didn't have anybody in position to catch West, I was expecting a quick foul so NY would have a chance to tie it up.

again, poor coaching.

ayuntalo
04-20-2011, 12:24 PM
they are expecting the C's to just give the ball to Allen or Pierce.
they did not expect C's to give the ball to west and let him run the clock.
Melo carried the team the whole game and is really exhausted, if your in the game you cant really blame the guy because its really hard to catch a quick Pg with that much space to run not to mention Melo is so fatigued.
however, for a star i wish he had an extra energy left in the tank for that final 4 seconds

Gibby23
04-20-2011, 12:27 PM
Stupid players on the floor. One guy watched west for 3 seconds...lol

sep11ie
04-20-2011, 12:39 PM
Cuz fouling is illegal.

unwantedplayer
04-20-2011, 12:41 PM
Melo was the closest one to Delonte, and Melo had 5 fouls. I guess he valued not picking up his 6th foul than an attempt at winning the game...

magichatnumber9
04-20-2011, 12:45 PM
Poor coaching is one excuse but these guys need to communicate on the floor. Every team practices situational basketball.

Knickrocketsfan
04-20-2011, 12:51 PM
who cares. the game was over. At best they were getting a half court shot attempt, not a big deal

chicago lulz
04-20-2011, 12:54 PM
poor coaching
poor communication
100% poor team execution

if Melo is so exhausted, what's the point of sending it into overtime? he'll be too tired to do anything...
His teammates need to pick up that foul

ttam68
04-20-2011, 02:54 PM
It was Melo covering Delonte West who ran into the back court. Instead of staying with him he gave a lazy, "We just lost" type of jog.

You can't blame D'Antoni for that. He shouldn't have to tell you that when you're trying to give an intentional foul you need to be near the guy catching the ball.

hugepatsfan
04-20-2011, 03:10 PM
It looked like they didn't know that the Celts were allowed to pass it to the backcourt. That just shows you how much better of a coach BOS has. You could see Delonte smiling after he got fouled. The Celts knew the Knicks weren't well coached enough to recognize that rule.

nycsports2
04-20-2011, 03:23 PM
i duno : (

northsid3r
04-20-2011, 03:51 PM
that's was really messed up even the celtics were thinking wth are they doing?

Missing56&33
04-20-2011, 03:56 PM
I don't think we had any TO's left and D'antoni wasn't aware of the rule that you can inbound in the back court. So the Celtics sent everybody except Rondo into the front court and the Knicks just followed guys to the front court. D'antoni should have been shouting for everybody to pick up there man and foul the ball handler. I guess this is something Billups would have been able to relay had he been in there.

ne3xchamps
04-20-2011, 03:59 PM
I don't think we had any TO's left and D'antoni wasn't aware of the rule that you can inbound in the back court. So the Celtics sent everybody except Rondo into the front court and the Knicks just followed guys to the front court. D'antoni should have been shouting for everybody to pick up there man and foul the ball handler. I guess this is something Billups would have been able to relay had he been in there.

well then I would think its time for a new coach in the offseason. but that's just one man's opinion.

OldSchool
04-20-2011, 04:25 PM
Bonehead play. Our inexperience showed there and the worst part of it is that it was Melo who messed it up. Cant blame the guy for the loss though... Without him we lose by 30...lol.