PDA

View Full Version : What if Michael Redd went to the Cavs?

davids22
04-20-2011, 02:10 AM
...and presumably never received the terrible injuries. Cleveland did pursue Michael Redd in the 2005 free agency period, but he opted to take the huge payday from Milwaukee instead. Also in 2008, the Bucks were shopping Redd's contract, and Cleveland was one of the most interested teams, it just never came to be.

If he still had the same injuries, I'd say Cleveland would have been in a much worse situation (cap-room wise) to realistically make Lebron want to stay (or make trades in 2009 and 2010 to make a playoff push due to already having so much salary on the books).

If Redd never had gotten injured, I think that Cavalier team becomes a LOT better. Redd would have been a true 2nd option for Lebron. They still wouldn't have a true point guard, but Redd is another guy who can take it down the court and work on the ball and off. Here's a memory jot for you all. (http://youtu.be/XlEjFIMF1eI)

I know everyone hates hypothetical threads sometimes, but in a sea of threads about the playoffs this and that, why not?

JasonJohnHorn
04-20-2011, 09:22 AM
Redd was a great player pre-injury, was a triple-double guy on big game nights, and has always seemed like a stand up guy. A couple seasons back I really wanted to see Redd with LBJ, I think they would have made a great duo, but last season I think Rip Hamilton would have been a better fit. Hell, they could have used Krover or Kaponoa more than what they had.

mttwlsn16
04-20-2011, 09:46 AM
lebron im sure wouldve given more though to staying. but still, wade/bosh are WAY better pieces than redd/anyone else from cleveland.
plus id wayyyyyy rather live in miami than cleveland

jzero
04-20-2011, 09:49 AM
i thought this thread was about him going this FA lol
i was about to say
who gives a damn

stawka
04-20-2011, 10:18 AM
Then he would be another depressed figure on the Cavs

C-Dub
04-20-2011, 11:08 AM
i doubt the cavs are looking for older injury prone players anymore, although they did get bdiddy..
as long as the bucks dont keep him idc where he goes

Chronz
04-20-2011, 12:13 PM
They would have won a game in the Finals possibly more. After that injuries would kick in and the Cavs would be no different than they were with Hughes corpse

KnicksorBust
04-20-2011, 12:29 PM
Fun Fact:
Michael Redd is #1 All-Time with the lowest turnover percentage in NBA History. He turns the ball only 8.2% of his possessions.

On topic:
Redd would have been a phenomenal fit next to LeBron James. Cleveland blew it. He never had that legit #2 option that all teams need to win the title. Instead they tried to stockpile a deep roster of 3/4 players. The same way Orlando is screwing up their title window with Dwight Howard. :)

MrfadeawayJB
04-20-2011, 12:35 PM
fun fact:
Michael redd is #1 all-time with the lowest turnover percentage in nba history. He turns the ball only 8.2% of his possessions.

On topic:
Redd would have been a phenomenal fit next to lebron james. Cleveland blew it. He never had that legit #2 option that all teams need to win the title. Instead they tried to stockpile a deep roster of 3/4 players. The same way orlando is screwing up their title window with dwight howard. :)

+1

todu82
04-20-2011, 12:52 PM
Good player. I think had he gone to Cleveland back then as had been rumoured and had stayed injury free, you would have seen Lebron stay in Cleveland and him possibly having a title by now.

sep11ie
04-20-2011, 12:58 PM
Then he'd change his name to Michael Blue.

brodawgs
04-20-2011, 01:26 PM
This is a very good question. I think how much more success they would have had would depend on who they got for point guard instead of Mo, assuming he wouldn't be there. I think if they pulled off a decent point in place of Mo there's a possibility that a Cavs team with Lebron and Redd would have had a chance to win a title. It's not like Lebron wasn't able to take them there by himself, and if you add another legitimate #2 option in Redd, its a much more dangerous team.

Chronz
04-20-2011, 01:26 PM
Fun Fact:
Michael Redd is #1 All-Time with the lowest turnover percentage in NBA History. He turns the ball only 8.2% of his possessions.

On topic:
Redd would have been a phenomenal fit next to LeBron James. Cleveland blew it. He never had that legit #2 option that all teams need to win the title. Instead they tried to stockpile a deep roster of 3/4 players. The same way Orlando is screwing up their title window with Dwight Howard. :)

How did Cleveland blow it? They tried to get Ray Allen then Redd and finally settled on Hughes. They blew it with Hughes but they (Bron) tried hard to recruit Redd.

KnicksorBust
04-20-2011, 02:42 PM
How did Cleveland blow it? They tried to get Ray Allen then Redd and finally settled on Hughes. They blew it with Hughes but they (Bron) tried hard to recruit Redd.

If you think Larry Hughes is good enough to be your #2, you blew it.

If you think Mo Williams is good enough to be your #2, you blew it.

If you have an incredibly valuable contract like Wally's World and you just let it expire, you blew it.

If you have a LeBron/Kobe/Wade type of talent and you can't give him a legit #2 after 7 years, you blew it.

hotpotato1092
04-20-2011, 09:29 PM
The big question isn't what would happen if Michael Redd would have gone to the Cavs, it's what would happen if Ray Allen would have gone to the Cavs. He was the big fish in that free agency pond. If he would have signed with Cleveland not only do the Cavs have their #2, but the Celtics as currently constructed don't exist, making the east much easier for the Cavs. They have at least one title, maybe more, if Ray Allen would have gone to Cleveland.

Swashcuff
04-20-2011, 11:30 PM

If you have an incredibly valuable contract like Wally's World and you just let it expire, you blew it.

If you have a LeBron/Kobe/Wade type of talent and you can't give him a legit #2 after 7 years, you blew it.

If your organization (and players) tries extremely hard but a player chose another over yours that's not blowing it. Did the Cavs blow it when they lost Carlos Boozer?

Chronz
04-21-2011, 05:30 PM

Irrelevant, I was only talking about your comment that they blew it with regards to Redd. They tried to nab him, but Ill play along with your game.

1)Larry Hughes was the 3rd best SG on the market and rather than not get anyone, they grabbed the player Bron signed off on.

2) Mo was a STEAL, if you think that trade is about anything other than upgrading you blew it

3) Yea they fell for the old, chemistry trick. Shouldve gone all out and nabbed Shaq the year prior (his all-star year)

4) Overall yes, but its pretty hard building a contender

KnicksorBust
04-22-2011, 03:20 PM
If your organization (and players) tries extremely hard but a player chose another over yours that's not blowing it. Did the Cavs blow it when they lost Carlos Boozer?

One player screwed them over. How is that a defense for failing the other 6 offseasons?

Irrelevant, I was only talking about your comment that they blew it with regards to Redd. They tried to nab him, but Ill play along with your game.

1)Larry Hughes was the 3rd best SG on the market and rather than not get anyone, they grabbed the player Bron signed off on.

2) Mo was a STEAL, if you think that trade is about anything other than upgrading you blew it

3) Yea they fell for the old, chemistry trick. Shouldve gone all out and nabbed Shaq the year prior (his all-star year)

4) Overall yes, but its pretty hard building a contender

My comment that Cleveland blew it was not specifically about Redd just their failure as a whole with LeBron. I honestly don't think I can name a more talented player than LeBron that has never won a ring. You could make an argument for Karl Malone but that's about it. Sure, I liked the Mo Williams deal. I especially liked it because I remembered reading at the time he had the best shooting percentage of any player in the league on wide open looks and who better than LeBron to get you wide open looks. It certainly paid off during the regular season... but the other moves there is no defense. You see a team like Miami roll the dice by trading a great young nucleus of Odom-Caron Butler-and Grant's expiring to make a title push and you say great move. You see a team like the Thunder trade a young talented Jeff Green for an expensive but perfect fit Kendrick Perkins and you say great move. I see my own Knicks trade Felton-Gallo-Chandler-Mozgov-Anthony Randolph-Picks to basically get Carmelo Anthony and a small window with Billups and I say great move. When I see a team like Cleveland not showing urgency at all...I say terrible move. Holding on to Wally's expiring. Holding on to Hickson. Holding on to draft picks. Being too content with that Gooden-Big Z frontcourt until it was too late. Going after the wrong guys like Larry Hughes, past his prime Shaq, past his prime Jamison. I see what they did. How it worked out for them. And it makes me worry for the Orlando Magic. They are making the same mistakes and that's a fun new topic of "Where's Dwight going and what can Orlando get for him?" has become all the rage on PSD. The Cavs blew it and are the Magic are blowing it.

davids22
04-22-2011, 03:45 PM
My comment that Cleveland blew it was not specifically about Redd just their failure as a whole with LeBron. I honestly don't think I can name a more talented player than LeBron that has never won a ring. You could make an argument for Karl Malone but that's about it. Sure, I liked the Mo Williams deal. I especially liked it because I remembered reading at the time he had the best shooting percentage of any player in the league on wide open looks and who better than LeBron to get you wide open looks. It certainly paid off during the regular season... but the other moves there is no defense. You see a team like Miami roll the dice by trading a great young nucleus of Odom-Caron Butler-and Grant's expiring to make a title push and you say great move. You see a team like the Thunder trade a young talented Jeff Green for an expensive but perfect fit Kendrick Perkins and you say great move. I see my own Knicks trade Felton-Gallo-Chandler-Mozgov-Anthony Randolph-Picks to basically get Carmelo Anthony and a small window with Billups and I say great move. When I see a team like Cleveland not showing urgency at all...I say terrible move. Holding on to Wally's expiring. Holding on to Hickson. Holding on to draft picks. Being too content with that Gooden-Big Z frontcourt until it was too late. Going after the wrong guys like Larry Hughes, past his prime Shaq, past his prime Jamison. I see what they did. How it worked out for them. And it makes me worry for the Orlando Magic. They are making the same mistakes and that's a fun new topic of "Where's Dwight going and what can Orlando get for him?" has become all the rage on PSD. The Cavs blew it and are the Magic are blowing it.

Wow, I actually agree 100%. +1

FadeAwayLikeMJ
04-22-2011, 05:29 PM
wow, i actually agree 100%. +1

+2

assisi805
04-23-2011, 04:21 PM
To bad Redd couldn't make the right "decision"