PDA

View Full Version : Rick Adelman will not return to Rockets

rhino17
04-18-2011, 05:27 PM
Via twitter

Jonathan_Feigen Jonathan Feigen
Rockets will not bring back Rick Adelman as coach

what a bunch of dumb *****

After the players all asked for him back and have already spoken out against Morey, they do this, how stupid

Hopefully Elston Turner is just promoted or Mario Elie is given the job

DLeeicious
04-18-2011, 05:30 PM
I had a Barkley moment this weekend when talking about coaches and I drew a blank with Adelman. It almost ruined my night and very possibly would have if I didn't have an iPhone to look it up after an hour of agonizing. I just couldn't think of his name for the life of me, maybe it was the booze.

NYtilIdie
04-18-2011, 05:32 PM
He just lucked out on coaching a good team in the West. If they were in the East they'd be a 6th seed team.

Hopefully he comes to the Knicks, we need some defense.

Gators123
04-18-2011, 05:35 PM
Kuester will be fired within the next month. I hope Gores and Dumars bring in Adelman.

Chacarron
04-18-2011, 05:43 PM
I doubt he would want to coach the Lakers.

JordansBulls
04-18-2011, 05:44 PM
Well why would Adelman want to coach there anyway right now? I'm sure he would want to coach a team that can win it all. Hell he may go to LA next year or Boston.

John Walls Era
04-18-2011, 05:45 PM
:facepalm: Rockets. Why? Rockets were going to be really good next year, now I'm not so sure.

Miami Rumors anyone?

Htownballa1622
04-18-2011, 05:45 PM
This sucks. Hopefully they get someone who's offense is somewhat similar for kevin martin's sake.

Sadds The Gr8
04-18-2011, 05:46 PM
Colangelo, you know what to do. Fire Triano and HIRE THIS MAN

NYtilIdie
04-18-2011, 05:50 PM
This sucks. Hopefully they get someone who's offense is somewhat similar for kevin martin's sake.

We can trade coaches, Mike D for Adelman.

Although, you'll have to take back Jeffries, Mike doesn't like coaching without his boy toy.

Htownballa1622
04-18-2011, 05:53 PM
We can trade coaches, Mike D for Adelman.

Although, you'll have to take back Jeffries, Mike doesn't like coaching without his boy toy.

Lol no thanks. I appreciate it but I'd rather elston turner.

Rick would help knicks out though.

Just fire mike and send him to coach in italy lol jk.

Lakers and celtics will be taking to rick soon?

KingPosey
04-18-2011, 05:59 PM
Rick always gets ****ed. We screwed him in Sac too. He kept that team in contention with their franchise player missing the whole season.

Dump Westphal and bring him back. Even though i wont be watching once they hit Anaheim.

Slimsim
04-18-2011, 06:04 PM
COme to NY RICk

KnicksR4Real
04-18-2011, 06:09 PM
I had a Barkley moment this weekend when talking about coaches and I drew a blank with Adelman. It almost ruined my night and very possibly would have if I didn't have an iPhone to look it up after an hour of agonizing. I just couldn't think of his name for the life of me, maybe it was the booze.

that was the most random post ive ever read

Raph12
04-18-2011, 06:15 PM
I'd love to get him in Orlando...

FlakeyFool
04-18-2011, 06:22 PM
The guy is a goood coach. Please come to Toronto

ESaady
04-18-2011, 06:35 PM
Warriors please sign him :(

Gators123
04-18-2011, 06:37 PM
Monroe NEEDS a coach like Adelman.

Young and Stupid
04-18-2011, 06:42 PM
Good. Now Terrence Williams can get some playing-time. Adelman has a good offensive-system, but he and Morey weren't seeing eye-to-eye on the present objectives of the franchise.

TWill (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v59JZcykhpY) is gonna blow up next year; he has all-star level talent, the Rockets robbed the Nets of a great player.

Crackadalic
04-18-2011, 06:43 PM
Please Rick come coach the knicks. We need defense

joeboow90
04-18-2011, 06:50 PM
The Knicks need to get Adelman. he would be the perfect coach for the knicks imo

DLeeicious
04-18-2011, 06:52 PM
that was the most random post ive ever read

I thought this was a thread to post Adelman anecdotes

Wait, Adelman is done in Houston?

MalZee24
04-18-2011, 07:11 PM
What a dumb move by the Rockets. Adelman's one of the top coaches in the league. He'll certainly get job offers in the next year or two if he's still up for coaching.

Htownballa1622
04-18-2011, 07:16 PM
What a dumb move by the Rockets. Adelman's one of the top coaches in the league. He'll certainly get job offers in the next year or two if he's still up for coaching.

I too don't like it but lets face it. We weren't going to contend with this group and rick is a coach that could help a contender. He was here to get us there with yao and tmac.didn't happen so we both move on.

koetravis
04-18-2011, 07:31 PM
Please Rick come coach the knicks. We need defense

rick doesnt do defense. he is strictly offense.

Chronz
04-18-2011, 07:45 PM
They acquired players to fit his system and then they release him?

Crackadalic
04-18-2011, 07:47 PM
rick doesnt do defense. he is strictly offense.

Better then what Mike does

ragee
04-18-2011, 07:48 PM
Everyone wants to fire their coach and get this guy... :laugh: Just goes to show the Rockets made a huge mistake...

koetravis
04-18-2011, 07:54 PM
he is a great coach,just needs to go somewhere where they arent rebuilding

John Walls Era
04-18-2011, 07:56 PM
Woah didn't know RA was so liked...

Chronz
04-18-2011, 08:29 PM
I'd love to get him in Orlando...

I thought you wanted to see Dwight get the ball more?

KDM1986
04-18-2011, 08:37 PM
Rick will get picked up real quick. Sucks that Yao and T-mac were never healthy enough to really see if that team could compete for a title.

JasonJohnHorn
04-18-2011, 08:39 PM
Adleman has been one of the best coaches in the league over the last 25 years or so. From helping Portland bursth through the tough west in the early 90s (two finals appearances in his first four seasons), to helping the Kings turn into a perenial contender, to helping a Rockets team, that was completely depleted by injury nearly every season since he arrived, stay competative and over .500 in the toughest division in the toughest conference.

There is no doubt in my mind that one could put Adleman in the same conversation as Jerry Sloan, Phil Jackson and Greg Popovich. Some coaches are blessed with ample opprotunity and great situations, (Jackson and Pop) and some have to create their own (Adleman).

Not re-sigining Aldeman does make sense. Adleman has essentially simply won to man games. It may sound crazy, but winning more games than any other lottery team has simple made it harded for the Rockets to build through the draft because they get low picks. With a franchise player on the shelf and his career in question, the Rockets have to re-build. Paying a coach as good as Adleman would be a waste of money and, in some respects, a waste of talent. A waste of money in that one could pay a rookie coach a fifth of the money Adleman gets (or even a tenth) and get relatively similar results. A waste of talent in that Adleman could be using his unique skill set to help a team like Atlanta, Dallas, NY and a couple other teams, turn into contenders, while he could help contenders like Miami, turn into champions (which they may very well do without him this year).

If Miami doesnt win and Jackson DOES retire, Adleman would be Miami's best bet to improve themselves on the bench (of course Riley may see himself as the best option in that respect).

An understandable decsion from Houston and a blessing for Adleman who can no move on and find himself a home where he have a chance to win his first championship.

daboywonder2002
04-18-2011, 09:01 PM
would mario elie be a good candidate? i know he would be a rookie coach. but he has plenty of years as an assistant and is a former rocket.

buch88
04-18-2011, 10:48 PM
Everyone wants to fire their coach and get this guy... :laugh: Just goes to show the Rockets made a huge mistake...

yup u got that right. what on earth is houston thinking?

MalZee24
04-18-2011, 10:52 PM
I too don't like it but lets face it. We weren't going to contend with this group and rick is a coach that could help a contender. He was here to get us there with yao and tmac.didn't happen so we both move on.

yeah i see what you mean. it's a shame though. houston could have competed big time if it weren't for all the injuries. Houston had some nice players the past 4 years, not just Yao and Tmac.... Battier, Alson, Bobby Jackson, Bonzi, Scola, Landry, Artest, etc. Too bad the injuries to the two main guys had to keep happening.

rhino17
04-18-2011, 11:46 PM
would mario elie be a good candidate? i know he would be a rookie coach. but he has plenty of years as an assistant and is a former rocket.

He is considered a candidate, and would be my top choice

ryguy2k7
04-19-2011, 12:13 AM
Come to MN! We need any help we can get haha.

JLynn943
04-19-2011, 12:16 AM
Please Kings :pray:

SA5195
04-19-2011, 12:21 AM
Raptors :pray:

Htownballa1622
04-19-2011, 12:32 AM
yeah i see what you mean. it's a shame though. houston could have competed big time if it weren't for all the injuries. Houston had some nice players the past 4 years, not just Yao and Tmac.... Battier, Alson, Bobby Jackson, Bonzi, Scola, Landry, Artest, etc. Too bad the injuries to the two main guys had to keep happening.

Ya injury bug and maybe bad luck on others things hurt them.

Itll be a mutual respectful ending.
I appreciate rick having us fight to the end every year and will look back and think we had a sure hall of fame coach.

I wish the best to him and hope he gets his chance with a contender somewhere.he deserves a ring.he won't be unemployed too long though.

lakers4sho
04-19-2011, 12:52 AM
lol at Miami being a fit for Adelman's system

Htownballa1622
04-19-2011, 01:01 AM
lol at Miami being a fit for Adelman's system

*They have big men who can shoot or pass out of the high post.
* They're great passers.
*Amazing finishers (wade, lebron)
*Theyre unselfish.

I don't see why it couldn't work:shrug:

Not saying it will but to completely say it wouldn't be a fit or laugh at it... Idk:confused:

I think it actually could work. -just saying.

rhino17
04-19-2011, 01:14 AM
Itll be a mutual respectful ending.

ummm, are you reading the reports?

Adelman was very upset with Morey this year and Morey had no intention of convincing him to stay

Adelman and the player have both voiced their displeasure with Morey, and in the end, Rick got ****ed over

Baller1
04-19-2011, 01:18 AM
Great coach, come take Brooks' spot please.

Htownballa1622
04-19-2011, 01:36 AM
ummm, are you reading the reports?

Adelman was very upset with Morey this year and Morey had no intention of convincing him to stay

Adelman and the player have both voiced their displeasure with Morey, and in the end, Rick got ****ed over

Yeah I saw this but at the same time I feel like this was coming since this past summer.
Think about it.

Rick was brought here to coach tmac/yao.

Morey did what he had to do.(he's also now on the hot seat)

I'm talking the rockets as an organization or with les alexander.
Morey and rick might be a different situation because we all know they didn't really see eye to eye especially with battier trade.

But@ the end of the day, the rockets players and staff (maybe not morey) appreciates what rick did.
Seems all the players wanted him back.

sunsfan88
04-19-2011, 01:52 AM
LOL Houston EPIC FAIL.

That's one less team to worry about next season in the West.

KingPosey
04-19-2011, 02:09 AM
I thought you wanted to see Dwight get the ball more?

Adelman teams run the ball through the big man if possible. However, he likes the high post, so Dwight might be ****ed. And he still isnt that great of a passing big man.

ZebraCity916
04-19-2011, 02:09 AM
If we can get Westphal outta there, us Kings fans would love to have him back!!!!

KingPosey
04-19-2011, 02:12 AM
Please Kings :pray:

I thought this too, but the Maloof trolls pulled the rug out from him too. I doubt he comes back to save their *****. I hope he doesnt. I love the kings, but I want the Maloofs to suffer. ****.

Whomewhome
04-19-2011, 03:03 AM
Good. Now Terrence Williams can get some playing-time. Adelman has a good offensive-system, but he and Morey weren't seeing eye-to-eye on the present objectives of the franchise.

TWill (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v59JZcykhpY) is gonna blow up next year; he has all-star level talent, the Rockets robbed the Nets of a great player.
I agree with the talent level. Unfortunately or Fortunately if you a Nets fan Twill doesn't have a position in this league. He would be a great PG if he could increase his court vision, but SG is not his strength and SF he is too small.

I love Twill and I wish all the best but 3 coaches now have decided that he is too much of a headache to play in this League. Two good coaches and one crap. But Avery, Rick, and Lawrence Frank all passed on the kid.

Whomewhome
04-19-2011, 03:07 AM
Adleman has been one of the best coaches in the league over the last 25 years or so. From helping Portland bursth through the tough west in the early 90s (two finals appearances in his first four seasons), to helping the Kings turn into a perenial contender, to helping a Rockets team, that was completely depleted by injury nearly every season since he arrived, stay competative and over .500 in the toughest division in the toughest conference.

There is no doubt in my mind that one could put Adleman in the same conversation as Jerry Sloan, Phil Jackson and Greg Popovich. Some coaches are blessed with ample opprotunity and great situations, (Jackson and Pop) and some have to create their own (Adleman).

Not re-sigining Aldeman does make sense. Adleman has essentially simply won to man games. It may sound crazy, but winning more games than any other lottery team has simple made it harded for the Rockets to build through the draft because they get low picks. With a franchise player on the shelf and his career in question, the Rockets have to re-build. Paying a coach as good as Adleman would be a waste of money and, in some respects, a waste of talent. A waste of money in that one could pay a rookie coach a fifth of the money Adleman gets (or even a tenth) and get relatively similar results. A waste of talent in that Adleman could be using his unique skill set to help a team like Atlanta, Dallas, NY and a couple other teams, turn into contenders, while he could help contenders like Miami, turn into champions (which they may very well do without him this year).

If Miami doesnt win and Jackson DOES retire, Adleman would be Miami's best bet to improve themselves on the bench (of course Riley may see himself as the best option in that respect).

An understandable decsion from Houston and a blessing for Adleman who can no move on and find himself a home where he have a chance to win his first championship.
Great Post, and I hope Coach Adelman finds a home where the parts are there because there is no doubt in my mind this coach is one of the greatest coaches not to have won a championship. He is up there with the Sloans of this league.

Niro
04-19-2011, 03:31 AM
omfg warriors NEED to get him

but i know my good old warriors and they will stick with coach smart -.-

DreamShake
04-19-2011, 03:54 AM
LOL Houston EPIC FAIL.

That's one less team to worry about next season in the West.

Dude, we finished with a better record than y'all and y'all have a "superstar". Plus you have little cap flexibility, so YOUR one less team to worry about in the west.

Saad
04-19-2011, 04:13 AM
I suggested him in the Laker's forum a while back when the rumors first started that he wasnt going to come back. All I got was negative feedback :( So not sure if the Lakers want him :p

Young and Stupid
04-19-2011, 09:10 AM
I agree with the talent level. Unfortunately or Fortunately if you a Nets fan Twill doesn't have a position in this league. He would be a great PG if he could increase his court vision, but SG is not his strength and SF he is too small.

Strongly disagree. Just because Terrence Williams is as versatile as he is, doesn't result in him being a tweener. TWill is a 2 in this league; he's no different than Wade in terms of size and playing-style (obviously, Wade is the superior player). You can also put Williams at the three if you're playing small -- despite being listed at 6'6, he's closer to 6'4 -- or at the point for short-stretches.

TWill has the best court vision I've seen since Jason Kidd -- he just needs to learn not to gamble so much on passes (similar to Jason Williams in his early years with the Kings) -- and he's very effective at setting his teammates up for easy shots.

I love Twill and I wish all the best but 3 coaches now have decided that he is too much of a headache to play in this League. Two good coaches and one crap. But Avery, Rick, and Lawrence Frank all passed on the kid.

Not true. Lawrence Frank played Terrence Williams 26 minutes a game during the first 18 games of his rookie season; that's a lot of playing time for a player in the first-quarter of the season as a rookie. Obviously, Lawrence Frank got fired after the 0-18 start and then the Nets hired a coach by committee squad which wasn't too happy with TWill's antics. However, he came into his own during the second-half in the season (as you saw if you watched that mix) and single-handedly prevented the Nets from having the worst record in the history of the NBA.

I'm not disputing that Terrence needs to get his head on straight, all I'm saying is that once he does -- watch out.

papipapsmanny
04-19-2011, 09:40 AM
Wizards please get him, Flip Saunders is a joke

JasonJohnHorn
04-19-2011, 09:41 AM
Great Post, and I hope Coach Adelman finds a home where the parts are there because there is no doubt in my mind this coach is one of the greatest coaches not to have won a championship. He is up there with the Sloans of this league.

Thanks!

tr3ymill3r
04-19-2011, 10:11 AM
Why do all the Knicks fans want Houston's sloppy seconds?

JasonJohnHorn
04-19-2011, 10:12 AM

Because he's better than the Suns sloppy seconds.

Besides, once a person has popped their cherry, they are forever somebody's 'sloppy seconds'.

Mile High Champ
04-19-2011, 10:54 AM
He will find another good job in a matter of no time..

northsid3r
04-19-2011, 10:57 AM
Lakers?

Mile High Champ
04-19-2011, 10:59 AM
Lakers?

I do believe Brian Shaw is the lock to replace Phil Jackson in LA, he has the complete support of the players.

Chronz
04-19-2011, 11:14 AM
Adelman teams run the ball through the big man if possible. However, he likes the high post, so Dwight might be ****ed. And he still isnt that great of a passing big man.

Yes I know he runs the Princeton offense, it will result in Dwight getting less touches. It happened to Yao and it will happen to Dwight, it may or may not force him to expand his game, more likely that hes forced to play a role that doesnt fit him

rhino17
04-19-2011, 11:38 AM

Probably because even with 2 supposed superstars, the Rockets had a better record than the Knicks

KingPosey
04-19-2011, 11:48 AM
Yes I know he runs the Princeton offense, it will result in Dwight getting less touches. It happened to Yao and it will happen to Dwight, it may or may not force him to expand his game, more likely that hes forced to play a role that doesnt fit him

Which means it doesnt happen IMO. I dont think you force a player like DH to play somewhere that doesnt work for him.

Knickrocketsfan
04-19-2011, 11:54 AM
He just lucked out on coaching a good team in the West. If they were in the East they'd be a 6th seed team.

Hopefully he comes to the Knicks, we need some defense.

This.

I have been advocating for him all yr for mike's replacement. Rick is a good defensive and offensive coach

tr3ymill3r
04-19-2011, 12:07 PM
Because he's better than the Suns sloppy seconds.

Besides, once a person has popped their cherry, they are forever somebody's 'sloppy seconds'.

I was referring to the TMac trade, the Jefferies trade...he's like the ex-gf that you don't want when your with but as soon as you break up with her you want her back, and now Adelman. Just because a new coach comes to town isn't going to make Melo and Amare play defense, the Rockets played very little to zero defense this season anyways.

nyyfan4life
04-19-2011, 12:14 PM
If the Heat don't win, I could see them making a run at him. Bosh would be pretty good in the high post with Wade and LeBron slashing.

rhino17
04-19-2011, 01:48 PM
I was referring to the TMac trade, the Jefferies trade...he's like the ex-gf that you don't want when your with but as soon as you break up with her you want her back, and now Adelman. Just because a new coach comes to town isn't going to make Melo and Amare play defense, the Rockets played very little to zero defense this season anyways.

the rockets played as much defense as you can with a 6'5 center and the tallest guy in the rotation being 6'8

Lake_Show2416
04-19-2011, 05:24 PM
i would welcome Adelman to take over for Phil with open arms over any other coach