PDA

View Full Version : After officiating ruins two close playoff games, will something be done?

NYSpirit1
04-18-2011, 12:19 PM
Officials missed a call in the Nuggets-Thunder game where Kendrick Perkins grabbed the net and put in a shot that had the Thunder go up by three with a minute left. Clear offensive interference. -- http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Ake.yEsXycZtRt24gCOfGZq8vLYF?slug=mc-spears_nuggets_dispute_call_in_loss_to_thunder_041 811

In the Knicks game, Kevin Garnett tripped Toney Douglas on a play and nothing was called and Ray Allen hit the game winner. Not to mention the Carmelo "offensive foul" with two minutes left. - http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infomo;JSESSIONID=E0C713603E5EED5B246D.3083?site=n ewsday&view=knicks_item&feed:a=newsday_5min&feed:c=knicks&feed:i=1.2824006

Officials can't be missing these calls this late in a game, it just can't happen in playoff games.

With such poor officiating, will something be done about it?

bulldog312
04-18-2011, 12:21 PM
And what could they possibly do?

Mile High Champ
04-18-2011, 12:22 PM
It is part of the game. Sometimes the calls just don't go your way. I seriously doubt you would be as upset and frustrated had the reverse situation happened to the Celtics. I think the officiating has been fine for the most part so far. Nothing needs to be done.

The Jokemaker
04-18-2011, 12:23 PM
Has anything ever been done about poor officiating? It's a staple of the playoffs.

In another example, the Spurs shot 47 free throws in their game against Memphis while Memphis shot 33. This is surprising considering Memphis does most of its scoring in the paint so you'd think they'd get a lot of calls there.

mikealike305
04-18-2011, 12:26 PM
NY lost.... its ok.... boston is the better team..... move on and get ready for game 2.....

jk

what can be done? i say they make robots to officiate the games. 0 margin of error.

yanks19791024
04-18-2011, 12:28 PM
Bad calls happen

ChitownSports16
04-18-2011, 12:28 PM
NY lost.... its ok.... boston is the better team..... move on and get ready for game 2.....

jk

what can be done? i say they make robots to officiate the games. 0 margin of error.

lol

godolphins
04-18-2011, 12:38 PM

jk

I've been thinking about that too

madvillian9
04-18-2011, 12:38 PM
i would be all for robots

it seems that most of the refs are hovering around 50 yrs old.
getting some younger guys would be a start.
joey crawford must go.

gotoHcarolina52
04-18-2011, 12:39 PM
Some photographic corroboration:

http://i52.tinypic.com/2q1xxn5.png

http://i52.tinypic.com/dfx0yv.png

Notice the ref looking right at the Garnett moving screen/trip in the last pic. :facepalm:

Cool007
04-18-2011, 12:41 PM
I really think they should have something similar to what NFL has and like Cricket (another world sport) has.

There should be a way to Challenge the play. If Coaches get it right then they don't lose the timeout, if they get it wrong, then they lose a timeout.

Refs would have about a minute to look at the play and decide or have another ref next to the screen watching the replays and give a quick Yes or No.

That would make all those bad calls go away (atleast most of them and especially in close games). In Playoffs every call matters.

BigBlueCrew
04-18-2011, 12:41 PM
What is gonna be done?

David Stern will go on some talk shows like 60 Mins and try to sell the world on how his league has been cleaned up since the Donaghy incident.

Yeah right

pacofunk64
04-18-2011, 12:43 PM
Ya they dropped the ball in the OKC game for sure. The NY-Boston game wasn't as obvious but I most of the time they will let them play it out being such a close game and that late in the game.

Da Knicks
04-18-2011, 12:45 PM
Nothing will get done, this happens every year...

Baller1
04-18-2011, 12:45 PM
I understand the Denver call was clearly missed, but I can't say it enough times; it is not the reason the Nuggets lost and Denver fans would be singing a different tune right now had the call been in their favor.

The NBA refs are nothing short of absolutely atrocious, I'm sure they'll make it up to Denver and NY eventually.

NYYCowboys
04-18-2011, 12:47 PM
The NBA is fixed.

Baller1
04-18-2011, 12:47 PM
I really think they should have something similar to what NFL has and like Cricket (another world sport) has.

There should be a way to Challenge the play. If Coaches get it right then they don't lose the timeout, if they get it wrong, then they lose a timeout.

Refs would have about a minute to look at the play and decide or have another ref next to the screen watching the replays and give a quick Yes or No.

That would make all those bad calls go away (atleast most of them and especially in close games). In Playoffs every call matters.

I actually wouldn't mind this. Maybe just for the playoffs though.

iggypop123
04-18-2011, 12:48 PM
the nba will do what they have the last 20 years. absolutely nothing

smith&wesson
04-18-2011, 12:49 PM
It is part of the game. Sometimes the calls just don't go your way. I seriously doubt you would be as upset and frustrated had the reverse situation happened to the Celtics. I think the officiating has been fine for the most part so far. Nothing needs to be done.

agreed.

jtchilln
04-18-2011, 12:53 PM
Officials missed a call in the Nuggets-Thunder game where Kendrick Perkins grabbed the net and put in a shot that had the Thunder go up by three with a minute left. Clear offensive interference. -- http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Ake.yEsXycZtRt24gCOfGZq8vLYF?slug=mc-spears_nuggets_dispute_call_in_loss_to_thunder_041 811

In the Knicks game, Kevin Garnett tripped Toney Douglas on a play and nothing was called and Ray Allen hit the game winner. Not to mention the Carmelo "offensive foul" with two minutes left. - http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infomo;JSESSIONID=E0C713603E5EED5B246D.3083?site=n ewsday&view=knicks_item&feed:a=newsday_5min&feed:c=knicks&feed:i=1.2824006

Officials can't be missing these calls this late in a game, it just can't happen in playoff games.

With such poor officiating, will something be done about it?

quit crying...their is bad calls in every game.

sixer04fan
04-18-2011, 12:57 PM

jk

Bad idea, didn't you see I, Robot with Will Smith?

arkanian215
04-18-2011, 12:58 PM
Bad calls happen. You only cry about it when it doesn't benefit your team. Should there be a mechanism to correct errors? Sure. Will it happen? Probably not. Move on or don't watch.

gotoHcarolina52
04-18-2011, 01:00 PM
How about we start fining refs for blown calls? Every game-altering call you miss = $500 to $5000 fine, depending on egregiousness.

If it wanted to, the NBA could create an Officiating Auditing Committee composed of neutral parties that are resistant to the pressures of corruption--retired judges, ethicists, etc--that would attend games as well as review footage afterwards to determine whether or not fines should be levied.

BigBlueCrew
04-18-2011, 01:03 PM
How about we start fining refs for blown calls? Every game-altering call you miss = $500 to $5000 fine, depending on egregiousness.

That could work

Baller1
04-18-2011, 01:05 PM

I'm all for reforming NBA refereeing in general, but I don't think fining the refs is the answer. A lot of the time, it's just human error. Should we fine players for missing shots or turning it over?

Hawkeye15
04-18-2011, 01:06 PM
bad calls happen. You only cry about it when it doesn't benefit your team. Should there be a mechanism to correct errors? Sure. Will it happen? Probably not. Move on or don't watch.

+1000000000000000

shizzle09
04-18-2011, 01:10 PM
Does it ever end? It's always the freaking refs. ALWAYS. It's never because your team didnt do what it takes to pull out the win. some people need to stop watching sports. There's 5-10 blown calls for each team in EVERY game. We have the benefit of freaking television replaying things in slow motion and we expect the refs to see everything we see. cant believe how much whining i've read on here over the weekend. wow

KingsPhillies
04-18-2011, 01:11 PM
Did anyone watch the 2002 Western Conference Finals? If nothing was done about that, do you really think anything will ever be done about bad calls? This is the nature of the NBA, apparently. If you don't like it, too bad, no one cares. That seems to be Stern's position on this subject. We (Kings fans) have been forced to accept that the NBA only cares about the almighty dollar, and could care less about if the fans are happy with the quality of officiating, or general state of the league. If you can't handle that, then you shouldn't watch the NBA.

Kingz4L
04-18-2011, 01:19 PM
I think the best they can do is fine the refs but i doubt they do that...anyway all the teams that lost really deserve to lose...Pacers,Lakers,Knicks,Spurs..those teams could of locked victories but failied to hold on to a lead or come up in the clutch.. NY had the game won but that inbound play should of never been allowed if your going 5 on 4...I dont feel bad for any team that lost...they got what they deserve PERIOD.

Tmath
04-18-2011, 01:21 PM
VIDEO REFEREE

The Video Referee's power to intervene on foul play replicates those of the sideline official.
The Video Referee may advise the Referee of an incident of foul play of which he was previously unaware. As a result of that advice the Referee may take any necessary action.

In other words, when a ******** calls like last nights games happen it will go to the video ref where it will be replayed on the big screen where everyone can see and the right call will be justified.

kArSoN RyDaH
04-18-2011, 01:21 PM
They really should implement some form of a challenge system. 2 challenges to start the game and as many as they want if they keep getting the calls overturned. Eff the pace of the game. The right calls need to be made.

I don't think they should be able to argue NON CALLS just bad ones but if anything add another ref to the game. The more eyes the better.

jiggin
04-18-2011, 01:22 PM
Already brought up in the Mavs/Blazer thread...blazers coach talked about it in the post game. Mavs = 19 trips to the free throw line in the 4th quarter alone to the blazers 2 in the 4th, 13 the entire game. Make entire comeback off foul shots and his team doesn't know how to play on defense cause of the inconsistent calls. Mavs didn't have a FG till 3 minutes left in the 4th yet managed to stay close and take the lead from the strip.

Go ahead...say it's part of the game. But we all know it shouldn't be.

It's just like a foul being called when Kobe has the ball or lebron, but not called when jerod bayless is fouled in a similar way. It shouldnt be like that and it sucks even more so that it is just accepted...cause it ain't right...only in the NBA is it like that.

sep11ie
04-18-2011, 01:25 PM
How many Knicks fans are gonna make a bad officiating thread?

Tmath
04-18-2011, 01:25 PM
VIDEO REFEREE

The Video Referee's power to intervene on foul play replicates those of the sideline official.
The Video Referee may advise the Referee of an incident of foul play of which he was previously unaware. As a result of that advice the Referee may take any necessary action.

In other words, when a ******** calls like last nights games happen it will go to the video ref where it will be replayed on the big screen where everyone can see and the right call will be justified.

scandaless2
04-18-2011, 01:27 PM
only thing they can do , is get 10 refs. to call the games . one for each player.

Hawkeye15
How about we get rid of refs all together, and just put sensors on fans watching at home, so when they feel something happened to their guy, they can blow the whistle?

That would be fair, right? 178 free throw attempts to 194 attempts for the other team. And everyone would foul out in the 1st quarter, and each coach on the sideline ejected with technicals....

Stop whining

Tmath

Im not a fan of any of the teams in the playoffs and I can clearly see something needs to be done.

ShockerArt
04-18-2011, 01:28 PM
Basketball is such a difficult sport to officiate. I can't even imagine how hard it is to call an NBA game. I think that the best the association can do is to make sure that the refs act professionally at all times (I'm looking at you, Joey Crawford). Except for cases involving refs incorrectly applying rules, I'm not sure that you can decrease bad calls by reprimanding the refs.

BigBlueCrew
04-18-2011, 01:28 PM

would it make feel better if this thread came from someone who's team is out of the playoffs?

knicksfan42
04-18-2011, 01:31 PM
Already brought up in the Mavs/Blazer thread...blazers coach talked about it in the post game. Mavs = 19 trips to the free throw line in the 4th quarter alone to the blazers 2 in the 4th, 13 the entire game. Make entire comeback off foul shots and his team doesn't know how to play on defense cause of the inconsistent calls. Mavs didn't have a FG till 3 minutes left in the 4th yet managed to stay close and take the lead from the strip.

Go ahead...say it's part of the game. But we all know it shouldn't be.

It's just like a foul being called when Kobe has the ball or lebron, but not called when jerod bayless is fouled in a similar way. It shouldnt be like that and it sucks even more so that it is just accepted...cause it ain't right...only in the NBA is it like that.

Absolutely.

LeGacy is Music
04-18-2011, 01:33 PM
I think That there should be a federal investigation into these guys remember a lot of these refs were doing some heavy illegal betting on NBA games and who is to say that they changed their ways because none of these refs ever got fired

AIMelo=KillaDUO
04-18-2011, 01:35 PM

Thats irrelevant to the fact that, that's not what happend.

gotoHcarolina52
04-18-2011, 01:36 PM
I'm all for reforming NBA refereeing in general, but I don't think fining the refs is the answer. A lot of the time, it's just human error. Should we fine players for missing shots or turning it over?

I agree that in many cases it is simply human error, but with the specter of corruption and game fixing that has circled throughout the league in recent years, many people suspect certain calls are the result of more than just human error.

Supposing, for the sake of argument, that it were just human error, we could certainly use replay as a corrective for truly bad calls (both the Perkins offensive interference and the Garnett moving screen would qualify for replay as both came late in the game and resulted in the ball having to be inbounded, a perfect time to check the replay monitor. Of course, the exact criteria of what should and should not be replay-able would have to be defined loosely for it to be effective, but not so loosely as to drown the flow of the game--admittedly, this is not a simple problem).

But, if the problem is more than mere human error, and results from more nefarious motivations such as game fixing and the like, more serious deterrents should be implemented, including fines, suspensions, and outright expulsion/termination.

Yet, incentivizing good officiating is just as important as deterring poor officiating. To that end, the money garnered from fining the underperforming refs could then be transferred to those refs who avoided controversy throughout the season and achieved a great deal of accuracy/excellence in their officiating in the form of a year-end bonus. When my mistakes result in a part of my salary being transferred to my co-workers, you can bet your a-s I will do all I can to limit my mistakes.

I think the solution, then, is two-fold: (1) more replay and (2) financial penalties/incentives for refs.

shizzle09
04-18-2011, 01:36 PM
Absolutely.

i'm the first one to tell people to stop whining about ref calls but man that clip in your sig is pretty bad. I cant lie.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
04-18-2011, 01:38 PM
There's not much that can be done though honestly, the game is over. All we can do now is move on and put our focus on game 2. Another thing I ask is that the game is called consistantly. The ref's were letting the game be played pretty agressivly wich was fine because they were letting it go both ways. But Melo only attempting 4 FT's when he's one of the league leaders, is a little weird. But when you call that BS offensive foul on Melo when trying to post up Peirce (even after he'd been doing that all game and it hadn't been called once. Is also a little weird. Let the stars battle!) & then missing KG trip Dougie. That's where I begin to have issues. I don't like to blame losses on officiating or lack there-of but, Cuz honestly it came down to reobounds and defense, and the ref's didn't put the ball in the basket for Ray Allen. But I do feel like the C's got handed the game last night.

knicksfan42
04-18-2011, 01:43 PM
i'm the first one to tell people to stop whining about ref calls but man that clip in your sig is pretty bad. I cant lie.

Came right after the BS call on Melo. Thankfully that dirty scumbag KG didn't injure Douglas, because O'Neal fouled and injured Billups about 30 secs before KGs trip and elbow and we would be completely undermanned for game 2.

shizzle09
04-18-2011, 01:47 PM
Came right after the BS call on Melo. Thankfully that dirty scumbag KG didn't injure Douglas, because O'Neal fouled and injured Billups about 30 secs before KGs trip and elbow and we would be completely undermanned for game 2.

yeah, KG is a dirty mo fo. he straight up tripped Douglas and elbowed him at the same time.

RangersMets
04-18-2011, 01:49 PM
The NBA is competing, and losing, to the other major sports in the World and America, their ratings were even surpassed by the NHL last year (it's true, look it up), and with a possible lockout the NBA and Stern cannot afford blowouts rather than close games/game-winning shots in highly anticipated games and series'.

It sucks, but the passing-by fan wants to see Kobe or Lebron drop 50, not everyone get 15. The passing-by fan wants to see close, last second games, not 5 fouls in the last minute as a desperate attempt at a comeback. Stern, the Refs, and the entire NBA knows this. It sucks, but it is how calls are going to work because that is how it always has been and probably will be.

Slimsim
04-18-2011, 01:49 PM
Sucks that's always the underdogs that get the short end of everything

tr4shb0t
04-18-2011, 01:58 PM
Denver didn't lose because of the missed offensive interference call. They lost because they were called for 10 fouls in the first quarter and okc was only called for 1 so they could be kept in the game when denver was blowing them out. An unacceptable disparity.

I didn't see the ny/boston game.

roju23
04-18-2011, 01:59 PM
Ya they dropped the ball in the OKC game for sure. The NY-Boston game wasn't as obvious but I most of the time they will let them play it out being such a close game and that late in the game.

True, they should let them play it out. Only problem is that they called a weak offensive foul call on Carmelo the play before. If there was any call it should have been a double foul.

The Jokemaker
04-18-2011, 02:09 PM
Sucks that's always the underdogs that get the short end of everything

Yep and when they lose people just say "you're whining." Fact is when you're watching a game and you hear a whistle blown every minute there is a problem. You see guys roughed up on one end of the floor and on the opposite side guys are barely touched and get the foul call. I don't care what team you root for, that is full on BS. It's almost like if every NFL playoff game had a "tuck rule" level call in it.

GMEN4EVER
04-18-2011, 02:14 PM
This will always be an issue as long as Stern is in charge of the NBA. There's a good reason why so many of the refs implicated for game fixing still work for the NBA, because they all work for the biggest game fixer of them all, Stern! Here's his break down. Lakers, Celtics, whichever team has the bigger star player. That's about it. If you want to know who will get the calls at the end in a close game go with that.

Come on, why ya think the Knicks got f'd vs the Celtics, the Nuggets got shafted a bit in the Thunder game with a minute left, and the free throw shot disparity allowing Dallas back into the game? Notice how it's always the less hyped team that gets f'd over? That's not a coincidence folks, that's Stern doing what he does best, manipulate as much as possibly to up that ol bottom line and line ever owner's pockets just a little more.

In most sports i'd advocate stop the whining and move on. But with regards to the NBA, that doesn't hold true. It's too obvious that this isn't human error by the officials, after so many "coincidences" it becomes too easy to see this is pure manipulation. The most ridiculous example is the kings vs lakers series from a decade ago, but boy are there plenty of good examples in EVERY post season.

As far as fixing it goes, it's not that hard. You get a video official to review calls made in the final 2 minutes of a game at the coachs request. The coaches get 2 challenges that cost them a timeout if they are wrong, and they keep the challenge if they are right. As valuable as time outs are at the end of a game I can guarantee you coaches won't be using the challenge unless it's for an obvious bad call by the officials on the court. And if that's when it's being used then so be it, get the dam call right. If the coach challenges the previous play you take the dam time and call the play by the rules. No oh that can't be challenged bs, EVERYTHING should be allowed to be challenged in the final 2 minutes. If the refs missed an obvious call I don't care what rule it is, it's a dam rule and it should be called correctly! The last 2 minutes of a game have zero flow anyways, there's constant play stoppage. 1 or 2 more stoppages in play at the end of a game where the game is being stopped all the f'n time anyways doesn't take anything away from the game. Except for money when the front runners get taken down a peg or two...

Teufelshunde4
04-18-2011, 02:15 PM
Here is a little salve for Knicks fans...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJKV7Xg8xhw

nolafan33
04-18-2011, 02:16 PM
Nothing will be done. Stern is a idiot and doesn't see anything with these horrific officiated games.

mikealike305
04-18-2011, 02:21 PM
Gmenforever u are crazzy..... it wasnt fixed... just bad calls.... if anything stern should want NY to advance. its NY!!!! the biggest city in the world. wouldnt it be better for him if NY were to advance? maybe see a NY vs Miami Round 2....

FadeAwayLikeMJ
04-18-2011, 02:25 PM
And what could they possibly do?

the NBA should start making team tissues for their crybaby fans who cant get over blown calls that have happened since the begining of basketball.

:cry:

good question.

my question is how many Knicks fans actually thought they were going to win this series. i mean, they still can and they still might, but for the love of God, some of yall act like the Knicks were the favorites coming into the playoffs.

YOU GUYS HAVE A VERY, VERY BRIGHT FUTURE AHEAD OF YOU. MOVE ON

knicksfan42
04-18-2011, 02:30 PM
This will always be an issue as long as Stern is in charge of the NBA. There's a good reason why so many of the refs implicated for game fixing still work for the NBA, because they all work for the biggest game fixer of them all, Stern! Here's his break down. Lakers, Celtics, whichever team has the bigger star player. That's about it. If you want to know who will get the calls at the end in a close game go with that.

Come on, why ya think the Knicks got f'd vs the Celtics, the Nuggets got shafted a bit in the Thunder game with a minute left, and the free throw shot disparity allowing Dallas back into the game? Notice how it's always the less hyped team that gets f'd over? That's not a coincidence folks, that's Stern doing what he does best, manipulate as much as possibly to up that ol bottom line and line ever owner's pockets just a little more.

In most sports i'd advocate stop the whining and move on. But with regards to the NBA, that doesn't hold true. It's too obvious that this isn't human error by the officials, after so many "coincidences" it becomes too easy to see this is pure manipulation. The most ridiculous example is the kings vs lakers series from a decade ago, but boy are there plenty of good examples in EVERY post season.

As far as fixing it goes, it's not that hard. You get a video official to review calls made in the final 2 minutes of a game at the coachs request. The coaches get 2 challenges that cost them a timeout if they are wrong, and they keep the challenge if they are right. As valuable as time outs are at the end of a game I can guarantee you coaches won't be using the challenge unless it's for an obvious bad call by the officials on the court. And if that's when it's being used then so be it, get the dam call right. If the coach challenges the previous play you take the dam time and call the play by the rules. No oh that can't be challenged bs, EVERYTHING should be allowed to be challenged in the final 2 minutes. If the refs missed an obvious call I don't care what rule it is, it's a dam rule and it should be called correctly! The last 2 minutes of a game have zero flow anyways, there's constant play stoppage. 1 or 2 more stoppages in play at the end of a game where the game is being stopped all the f'n time anyways doesn't take anything away from the game. Except for money when the front runners get taken down a peg or two...

:clap:

Tanakid777
04-18-2011, 02:31 PM
I don't see how anyone could expect any sort of action from the league office. Stuff happens. Live with it. The playoffs wouldn't be the playoffs without terrible officiating

Arch Stanton
04-18-2011, 02:33 PM
Didn't Miami shoot like 39 Free Throws. While the 76'ers shot only like 16? You could also say that there was poor officiating in favor of the Heat. But again you can't blame the refs. Unless it's Donnehy?

metsrock229
04-18-2011, 02:36 PM
Not even going to say anything

JeffG20
04-18-2011, 02:38 PM
The refs are always the problem when your team gets screwed, however had new york benefited from a bad call. Would this thread be made. Suck it up

mikealike305
04-18-2011, 02:43 PM
Not even going to say anything

why did u say something.... to tell us that u arent going to say anything?
couldnt u just really not have said anything?

JeffG20
04-18-2011, 02:45 PM
I guess its easier to blame refs then see flaws in your team that cause them to lose the game. Am i happy with refs all the time? Hell no but if my player only makes 1 shot in a half im certainly not blaming the refs for that

The Jokemaker
04-18-2011, 02:45 PM
The refs are always the problem when your team gets screwed, however had new york benefited from a bad call. Would this thread be made. Suck it up

If you've noticed, it's not just knicks fans saying something here. I'm a Grizz fan and they won yesterday and I'm still on here saying the officiating is a problem. It isn't about winning but the integrity of the game.

Double_R
04-18-2011, 02:46 PM
Bad officiating in the Playoffs is like Derek Rose winning the MVP
Both are gonna happen even though they shouldn't.

JeffG20
04-18-2011, 02:47 PM
If you've noticed, it's not just knicks fans saying something here. I'm a Grizz fan and they won yesterday and I'm still on here saying the officiating is a problem. It isn't about winning but the integrity of the game.

I get that i really do, this really applies to everyone including myself. Im not a fan of the way things are official wise but there or other major reasons they lost that had nothing to do with the refs.

Iron24th
04-18-2011, 02:49 PM
This is part of the game since NBA exist,what do you want to be done???

mikealike305
04-18-2011, 02:49 PM
Bad officiating in the Playoffs is like Derek Rose winning the MVP
Both are gonna happen even though they shouldn't.

zing

mustaine
04-18-2011, 03:02 PM
I like the fact that refs make mistakes, it's a part of the game, plus it gives us something to talk about. There is no way that you can take every mistake out of the game (except reviewing every play and nobody wants that).

I personally don't believe that refs make strange calls on purpose, they're just human and make mistakes. However, I do feel that they are overly protected by the NBA and Stern.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
04-18-2011, 03:06 PM
why did u say something.... to tell us that u arent going to say anything?
couldnt u just really not have said anything?

:laugh2:

Double_R
04-18-2011, 03:08 PM
Real Talk: The refs are only human and are going to make mistakes, I'm with that, but the fact is that these calls are seemingly made against the team that would not create the same viewer ship as the team they are playing.

02 Lakers vs Kings, Kings were a better team.
09 Magic vs Cavs ECF, man they did everything to get the Lebron vs Kobe Finals that year.

There are plenty more but I am over typing about something I hate so much, but yet cannot change.

DCB/LAL
04-18-2011, 03:09 PM
The Refs didn't cost NY the game... And the Nuggets played their hearts out only to get robbed by the Refs on a play that should of been reviewed... could they of reviewed that play?

cypherthor
04-18-2011, 03:09 PM
It was not the just the last minute it was most of the game. Those illegal screens where being set all game long... you cant blame KG he was just doing what he could get away with. As for those Heat fans... I can't wait till you start complaining when it happens to you... lol.

hgtiger32
04-18-2011, 03:12 PM
i say they make them replay the games!!!! that is total BS!!!!!

haha but for real. it's part of the team. bad calls are going to happen no matter what. overcome it. last time i checked when the offensive foul was called on Melo there was still about what 20 seconds left and they were up by 1! play defense, hit FTs. Then there were 8 seconds left for Melo to get a good shot off and he shot a deep 3.

5ass
04-18-2011, 03:12 PM
should the nba put more refs on the court?

knicks_champ
04-18-2011, 03:14 PM
We lost thats it there is nothing we can do. The Knicks know now that we can't afford to make these games come down to the wire because every close play will go to the higher seeded team. So right now we must forget this game and move on.

Coupon
04-18-2011, 03:15 PM
The only way anything might be done is if congress feels like showing off, like with the baseball steroid hearings. I could see them using Stern as a sacrifice to make themselves look good if they felt like it.

Outside that it'll be same old, same old.

More than any other sport, the NBA seldom has surprises in the playoffs. It's always the same teams that win from year to year. After watching the monkey business yesterday, I've already lost my enthusiasm about the playoffs.

Rondough
04-18-2011, 03:35 PM
They've taken all the fun out of the game. It makes you question why there are even three refs on the floor. There's no value in it if they are not going to officiate the game by the rules. Instead they officiate by their own rules and their own philosophies.
I actually stopped watching basketball for a spell because the officiating had gotten so bad. And this is coming from a former amateur official.

GMEN4EVER
04-18-2011, 03:38 PM
Gmenforever u are crazzy..... it wasnt fixed... just bad calls.... if anything stern should want NY to advance. its NY!!!! the biggest city in the world. wouldnt it be better for him if NY were to advance? maybe see a NY vs Miami Round 2....

Lol man, it's not NY as the big dog in the NBA. Celtics and Lakers rule in the NBA bro, bein from NY will get the knicks calls against someone like the Pacers or Hawks, but I guarantee you the Celtics and Lakers will get the lion's share of the bad calls going their way in every tight series. Last night's game in of itself wasn't that bad. It's just another example in an incredibly long list of examples where the NBA fixed a game via the officials. You can keep the blinders on all ya want, but it doesn't change the fact that Stern is a terrible influence on this league and has been for decades.

Rondough
04-18-2011, 03:38 PM
should the nba put more refs on the court?

Are you serious? I say add instant replay, get rid of one and go back to two. They can't miss anymore calls then they're missing now.

Crackadalic
04-18-2011, 03:49 PM
Look bad calls happen. Even with the bad officiating for both games theres nothing you can do. hopefully there not allow to ref in the 2nd round.

I do hope Stern address the issue before the lockout because by far basketball refs are the most inconsistent refs in all sports and need to go back to refereeing school or something to do a better job at least

cypherthor
04-18-2011, 04:00 PM
I think there should be a challenge rule.. it would make everyone happy. This is not just about the knicks-celtics. This kind of thing happens quite a bit in the playoffs. Teams should at least have a chance to challenge, then if the ref tries make the wrong call then they can be fined. fining refs for in game calls is just unfair to them... but on a challenge should be fair game.

championships
04-18-2011, 04:08 PM
The Refs have been really bad through game 1. It gets hard to watch when the opposing team has no chance at playing defense because the refs are blowing every little touch foul. There really isn't anything you can do and these Refs know that. Remember in 2007 Joey Crawford was questioned and suspended for giving Duncan two quick Ts while he was sitting on the bench.

Crawford threatened to quit because he believed he was right for throwing Duncan out and he didn't deserve the suspension. Stern kissed his *** talked him into not quitting.

chicago lulz
04-18-2011, 04:11 PM
OP's past two threads in the NBA forum to my knowledge

Delonte West ran on court off bench during play - no suspension?

After officiating ruins two close playoff games, will something be done?
Both related to the Knicks and poor officiating (although the 2nd one did include the Nuggets).

I could swear there was a Official Poor Officiating thread or something along the line.

Super.
04-18-2011, 04:12 PM
You Knick fans are even worse than Bulls fans after that series two years ago

get over it

jim51990
04-18-2011, 04:24 PM
the knicks are not winning the series the celtics are a better team get over it

J4KOP99
04-18-2011, 04:31 PM
Some photographic corroboration:

http://i52.tinypic.com/2q1xxn5.png

http://i52.tinypic.com/dfx0yv.png

Notice the ref looking right at the Garnett moving screen/trip in the last pic. :facepalm:

It's simple. Refs are humans. Both teams that got ****ed over were the away teams. The refs did not want to get ****ing ruined (by the home crowd) by making those calls late in the game.

Were they blown calls? Absolutely. Terrible job by the refs in both of those games. But it all comes down to these refs being humans, just like all of us.

With that said, my explanation does not make it "right" or give the refs credit. They ****ed up... plain and simple.

Knickrocketsfan
04-18-2011, 04:32 PM
funny how ppl keep bringing up superfluous info. what does ur opinion that the celtics are the better team have to do with the discussion?

knicks=love
04-18-2011, 04:34 PM

jk

would you be saying the same thing if it happened to you? exactly.

mikealike305
04-18-2011, 04:41 PM
Lol man, it's not NY as the big dog in the NBA. Celtics and Lakers rule in the NBA bro, bein from NY will get the knicks calls against someone like the Pacers or Hawks, but I guarantee you the Celtics and Lakers will get the lion's share of the bad calls going their way in every tight series. Last night's game in of itself wasn't that bad. It's just another example in an incredibly long list of examples where the NBA fixed a game via the officials. You can keep the blinders on all ya want, but it doesn't change the fact that Stern is a terrible influence on this league and has been for decades.

lol blinders huh?
yea lakers ruled against the hornets. darn that stern for making it so the lakers win.... man that stern.... oh wait... THE LAKERS LOST.
so what did stern do to have the celts come back from being down by ten?
man, ive seen my share of bad calls, there was this one in the steeler vs dolphin game that i still havnt got over, but seriously, calm down.
knick fans: instead of being mad that a ref blew the call, maybe be mad that your knicks let the celtics come back to make it that close of a game where the majority of bad calls are made. if the knicks could of kept the lead that bad call would be an after thought, instead of what it has become.

JeffG20
04-18-2011, 04:48 PM
Maybe if Melo actually made a shot in the second half, you wouldnt have to blame the refs.

knicksfan42
You Knick fans are even worse than Bulls fans after that series two years ago

The same series where Rondo tossed Hinrich into the scorers table and knocked half of Mike Millers teeth out.

The Celtics are one of the dirtiest (if not the dirtiest) teams in the NBA and people aren't blind, so when your team does whatever it wants to (because the refs let them) the opposing teams fans are gonna call you guys out on that ****.

Get over it.

Muttman73
The NBA playoffs where incompetence happens....nothing new here, happens every year

KnicksR4Real
04-18-2011, 04:50 PM
1,000 for a dead ref. lol.
you just gotta deal with it. hopefully it balances out.

Crackadalic
04-18-2011, 04:52 PM
OP's past two threads in the NBA forum to my knowledge

Both related to the Knicks and poor officiating (although the 2nd one did include the Nuggets).

I could swear there was a Official Poor Officiating thread or something along the line.

Don't mind him. he makes all kinds of threads and never post them just to let people argue over nothing. Its like were his little puppets and he is laughing in the corner lol

Cracka2HI!
04-18-2011, 04:55 PM
As soon as I saw this thread I knew it would be started by a Knicks or Lakers fan! I also knew the 2nd game they thought was "ruined" would have nothing to do with the post.

DoMeFavors
04-18-2011, 04:59 PM
I know its the Knicks first time in the playoffs in 40 years but stuff like this goes on in every playoff series...I guess the NBA has to go back in and change the game for you.

albertc86
04-18-2011, 05:00 PM
This is the same story every year.

Dstmccoy
04-18-2011, 05:06 PM
Nothing can be done, every team has experienced bad calls at some point.
The Denver/OKC missed call was pretty ridiculous though.

knicksfan42
04-18-2011, 05:44 PM
From Knickerblogger.net (user adrenaline98):

It doesnít matter that the Knicks played poorly offensively, or that the defensive performance was their best of the season. You canít look back at the game and say they could have made this play or that play, because the same holds true for the Cs. The game unfolded the way it did due to both sides making mistakes or playing well. Thatís how every game unfolds. To say ďThe Knicks could have made 1 more shotĒ or ďThe Celts could have made this 3 in the third quarterĒ is only true in hindsight. Yes, itís true, if Stat hadnít missed those 2 free throws, or if Melo didnít miss that one, or if TD didnít miss that one. You can blame the Knicks for their uninspired 2nd half offense. I donít care.

The point is that at a CRUCIAL moment of the game, the Celtics were awarded an EXTRA possession by the refs that should not have happened. In fact, they were awarded TWO extra possessions if you count the non-call. That is what makes it unfair. The Cs could have made this or that shot. The Knicks could have made that or the other shot. But at the end of the game, the Celts were GIVEN two extra shots, and therefore, the Knicks had two extra possessions taken away.

Basketball, as we can all agree here, is a game of possession. In the last 21 seconds of the game, one team received 2 possessions that were not earned, and therefore, the element of what happened throughout the game had no bearing on the terribly unfair calls.

In other words, you could have considered the Knicks leading 2-0 in the ball game with 21 seconds left, the ball, and the Cs were given two opportunities free to win that game.

That being said, we are also not saying the Cs COULDNíT have won the game without those calls either. Itís just that they were made, and therefore, robbed the Knicks of two possessions. An uneven hand was applied. Two professional teams ideally should have equal footing to make that play. Let the players determine that.

ElMarroAfamado
04-18-2011, 09:28 PM
I feel bad for Knicks fans. When they called that offensive foul on Melo I just changed it. I literally said to myself "here we go again."

If the Knicks are lucky they will get the type of calls the Celtics get..... in NY...it shouldnt be like that. Why cant they just call it even every game? The sad truth is it is ALWAYS like this every year...teams get calls at home and on the road they dont ...its getting boring and repetitive already.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-18-2011, 09:35 PM
If the Celtics win tomorrow night, all the calls will be going the Knicks way in game 3.

iggypop123
04-18-2011, 09:35 PM
props to the guys from PTI for actually calling the refs out in the boston game.

Kashmir13579
04-18-2011, 09:38 PM

Dude, it isn't the other way around. Kevin freaking Garnett made another one of his famous plays and got away with it during the deciding seconds of a playoff game. thats the situation.

oak2455
04-18-2011, 09:53 PM
I know its the Knicks first time in the playoffs in 40 years but stuff like this goes on in every playoff series...I guess the NBA has to go back in and change the game for you.

this troll is funny:facepalm::facepalm: new name 24 & 58:D

NYKnicks4511
04-18-2011, 10:06 PM

jk

Honestly it wouldn't be a terrible idea... I'd rather like to know that my team sucks than to feel like we got screwed out of a game.

The only problem is, who stops the fight when Ron Artest forgets to visit his psychiatrist?

RedRicanoBx
04-18-2011, 10:11 PM
VIDEO REFEREE

This isn't a bad idea actually...

J4KOP99
04-18-2011, 10:22 PM
The only problem with "video referee's" or any of that ****... it completely ruins the rhythm of the game. It's not like football where it starts and then stops constantly. Basketball is back and forth and could go without a whistle for 3 or 4 minutes sometimes.

It would be hell to try and figure out when you could review a play.

drobe86
04-18-2011, 10:24 PM
Some fans are ridiculous. Anyone who has ever played the game will tell you that 1 or even 2 calls don't dictate the outcome of any game. How can denver complain when they gave up 40 to Durant? Play defense and you will win. They gave up 70+ points to 2 players.... And they expected to win? Stop cryin and play ball......

Astronaut
04-18-2011, 10:25 PM
Tell that to the Sacramento Kings.........

Poor officiating is a staple in the playoffs, superstar calls are the norm...

Stern is corrupt.. He's ruining the league, just look at the NBA Finals winners within his tenure.

CostanzaNumba0
04-18-2011, 10:33 PM
Some fans are ridiculous. Anyone who has ever played the game will tell you that 1 or even 2 calls don't dictate the outcome of any game. How can denver complain when they gave up 40 to Durant? Play defense and you will win. They gave up 70+ points to 2 players.... And they expected to win? Stop cryin and play ball......

Did you watch the game? The calls had a direct impact. Its a bigger deal bc the NY media is all over it and I think the next game will be reffed more in the knicks favor, but thats not the answer either

BleedingGreen9
04-19-2011, 01:48 AM
Did you watch the game? The calls had a direct impact. Its a bigger deal bc the NY media is all over it and I think the next game will be reffed more in the knicks favor, but thats not the answer either

but thats how its gunna go and no one on this site is gunna be able to stop it