PDA

View Full Version : Zach Randolph agrees to 4 year $71M extension

Gators123
04-17-2011, 08:30 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6377990

Hours after Zach Randolph helped the Memphis Grizzlies win their first playoff game, the franchise rewarded him with a four-year, $71 million contract extension, according to league sources.

The fourth and final year of the deal is a player option, sources said.

bigsams50
04-17-2011, 08:32 PM
That's alotta money

Gators123
04-17-2011, 08:34 PM
He got paid, big time. Hes been great for them this year though.

drobe86
04-17-2011, 08:36 PM
hes worth every penny..... zbo is outstanding

kntresistheheat
04-17-2011, 08:38 PM
Well deserved!! He is a double double almost every night!

PurpleJesus28
04-17-2011, 08:41 PM
daaaaaamn Z-Bo gettin paaaaaid! good for him, hell of a game today too

wmudford
04-17-2011, 08:48 PM
Makes you wonder if they will have enough to outbid others for gasol

Chill_Will_24
04-17-2011, 08:48 PM
What does this mean for Gasol???

nycericanguy
04-17-2011, 09:00 PM
MEM is going to regret that deal... last time Zbo got a big contract he got lazy and no one would take him even for free.... thats way too much $ for a guy that isn't a franchise type player

mzgrizz
04-17-2011, 09:01 PM
Makes you wonder if they will have enough to outbid others for gasol

We do. Salaries are now about 51-52M and soft cap may be 70M. Think anyone going to give Marc more than ZBo ?

h2r09
04-17-2011, 09:02 PM
awful deal. he is a guy that is good but not as good as the stats suggest him to be. he isnt a championship caliber player, and he shouldnt be getting paid close to nearly 18 million per.

Redbull
04-17-2011, 09:04 PM
Maybe slightly overpaid but he has been great for the Grizzles and this team could be really good over the next few years.

Cubsfan365
04-17-2011, 09:04 PM
They'll be paying Conley, Gay, and Randolph around $46 Million by the 2014-2015 season. This just puts them in the class of the Atlanta Hawks IMO. I think they'll be good, but they will have limited options now, and almost definitely not good enough to win a title.

mzgrizz
04-17-2011, 09:06 PM
awful deal. he is a guy that is good but not as good as the stats suggest him to be. he isnt a championship caliber player, and he shouldnt be getting paid close to nearly 18 million per.

Sorry bud but you don't know jack. ZBo has energized this team and city along with Tony Allen. We are thrilled to have Zach with us for 4 years.

Storch
04-17-2011, 09:06 PM
It will at least keep memphis competetive in the playoffs for years to come. I dont think the franchise is really thinking championship, but more of longevity.

JPHX
04-17-2011, 09:07 PM
good for memphis, i guess. I would have waited for the new labor agreement but i guess memphis feels hes worth it.

I Am Awesome-O
04-17-2011, 09:07 PM
Memphis Commercial Appeal is reporting that the deal is actually worth between $55-60M over 4 years:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2011/apr/17/sources-zach-randolph-agrees-4-year-deal-worth-mor/

THE MTL
04-17-2011, 09:12 PM
Wow! How much money does this team have.....? Zach, Conley, Gay, and according the owner he is fully prepared to pay Gasol.

Thats WAY too much money for Zach Randolph though. He is worth about 15 mil per year, his deal averages out to 17.75 mil (just as bad as his previous contract).

heatking
04-17-2011, 09:13 PM
I love zbo if he keeps on doing what he did this year its not a BAD deal altough i still think he got overpaid, but his character worries me. He can very well get lazy again and the grizz will regret this deal. If not and he keeps doing what hes doing congrats to both sides.

The grizzlies are gaining respect by taking care of their own.

heatking
04-17-2011, 09:15 PM
Memphis Commercial Appeal is reporting that the deal is actually worth between $55-60M over 4 years:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2011/apr/17/sources-zach-randolph-agrees-4-year-deal-worth-mor/

This would be much better, a bargain if he keeps up his play.

THE MTL
04-17-2011, 09:15 PM

Thats sounds better..

h2r09
04-17-2011, 09:20 PM
Sorry bud but you don't know jack. ZBo has energized this team and city along with Tony Allen. We are thrilled to have Zach with us for 4 years.

congrats, you are still an 8 seed with not much more room to grow. you are a worse version of the hawks in a tougher conference. you still have gasol to pay and you are already paying gay about 5 million more than he should be making. congrts that you are pumped that you are in the playoffs, but you will realize in the future when the grizzlies possibly have success that you arent doing anything right now. good for your city, but you are an 8 seed and you are rewarding all of your core players for that.

conley isnt getting any better, gay isnt either, z-bo will go only downhill from here. so basically, you will have the same core on an 8 seed.

im just of the opinion that you build toward a championship with a goal, not just taking each year in stride and seeing what happens.

edit- not to mention randolph isnt a defensive presence at all.

h2r09
04-17-2011, 09:21 PM
thats still to much. and appropirate deal for randolph would be about 35-40 million over 3-4 years.
he shouldnt be getting paid more than 9-10 million per year.

Gators123
04-17-2011, 09:24 PM
Chris_Broussard

Zach Randolph's deal: $66 million fully guaranteed, plus $1.3 million in incentives each year. Fourth and final year is player option.

ManRam
04-17-2011, 09:26 PM
Hmmm...are ZBo and Gay really two guys you want over half the cap invested in?

h2r09
04-17-2011, 09:28 PM
Hmmm...are ZBo and Gay really two guys you want over half the cap invested in?

exactly. if they are shooting for being, "not a bad team", then man are they succeeding in building a team.

Cubsfan365
04-17-2011, 09:28 PM
Chris_Broussard
So $16.5M per

gbpackers12
04-17-2011, 09:33 PM
He's been great. Good for him.

ManRam
04-17-2011, 09:45 PM
exactly. if they are shooting for being, "not a bad team", then man are they succeeding in building a team.

Yeah. They'll consistently be a playoff team as is, but they'll never get over the hump with those two being the highest paid players.

mzgrizz
04-17-2011, 09:46 PM
congrats, you are still an 8 seed with not much more room to grow. you are a worse version of the hawks in a tougher conference. you still have gasol to pay and you are already paying gay about 5 million more than he should be making. congrts that you are pumped that you are in the playoffs, but you will realize in the future when the grizzlies possibly have success that you arent doing anything right now. good for your city, but you are an 8 seed and you are rewarding all of your core players for that.

conley isnt getting any better, gay isnt either, z-bo will go only downhill from here. so basically, you will have the same core on an 8 seed.

im just of the opinion that you build toward a championship with a goal, not just taking each year in stride and seeing what happens.

Unless you are from Memphis or are in the southwest division of the western conference. I repeat you don't know jack. Because you would know the difference in 2011 ZBo and 2008 ZBo. He disappoint you?

FlakeyFool
04-17-2011, 10:05 PM
Now hes going to stop caring like he did last time he got his hefty contract

bears88
04-17-2011, 10:10 PM
He has been playing great for Memphis so he deserves it.

*Superman*
04-17-2011, 10:25 PM
Already celebrating?!

Hellcrooner
04-17-2011, 10:46 PM
now hes going to stop caring like he did last time he got his hefty contract

+1

IndiansFan337
04-17-2011, 10:52 PM
That's a lot of money...Heisley is ridding himself of the cheap owner title...That's a lot of money he's given out to Gay and ZBo in b2b summer's...Now let's see what they end up doing with Marc Gasol...

mzgrizz
04-17-2011, 10:57 PM
That's a lot of money...Heisley is ridding himself of the cheap owner title...That's a lot of money he's given out to Gay and ZBo in b2b summer's...Now let's see what they end up doing with Marc Gasol...

Yep, can't wait to see Heisley opening up his wallet and guaranteeing something else in 3 more years!!

grkmaster
04-17-2011, 11:02 PM
Zach spends his day with his girl tony alan and Arthur at chris Ruth's steakhouse.. he def looked like a happy camper

Crackadalic
04-17-2011, 11:06 PM
So how do they have enough cap for Marc? We don't even know if the hard cap would be implemented and raise to $70 mil

MrfadeawayJB
04-17-2011, 11:28 PM
whoever said conley and Gay cannot improve is an idiot

The Jokemaker
04-17-2011, 11:36 PM
whoever said conley and Gay cannot improve is an idiot

I know right? They improved this season and have shown no signs of hitting their top potential. I love the people talking who have NO IDEA about the Grizzlies. Never see a game and don't follow the team at all. It's like me going and talking smack in a Hockey forum when I know nothing of the sport.

This is a great deal for Memphis. This core has improved and will continue to improve. Will they win a championship? Likely not but a perennial playoff contender in the West (guess what, Lakes, Mavs, Spurs are all getting OLDER) and a year in and year out winner will do wonders for basketball in Memphis. And who knows, maybe they do put it all together in a couple years and win the Finals.

Once they get Gasol locked up this team will have its four core players signed longterm and can fill in pieces around them.

ChongInc.
04-17-2011, 11:40 PM
I'm a raptors fan so I'm biased, but z-bo > chris bosh.

MrfadeawayJB
04-17-2011, 11:41 PM
I know right? They improved this season and have shown no signs of hitting their top potential. I love the people talking who have NO IDEA about the Grizzlies. Never see a game and don't follow the team at all. It's like me going and talking smack in a Hockey forum when I know nothing of the sport.

This is a great deal for Memphis. This core has improved and will continue to improve. Will they win a championship? Likely not but a perennial playoff contender in the West (guess what, Lakes, Mavs, Spurs are all getting OLDER) and a year in and year out winner will do wonders for basketball in Memphis. And who knows, maybe they do put it all together in a couple years and win the Finals.

Once they get Gasol locked up this team will have its four core players signed longterm and can fill in pieces around them.

True....also if we are legit contenders in a few years, good vet role players will actually [I]want[I] to come to Memphis, no one ever wanted to come here before..

also for those who say, why overpay these guys, and be a consistent playoff team but not a contender...memphis fans will take thier chances i'm sure...3-4 years ago we were happy to be in a game in the 4th qtr

some say go get a better player to spend that $ on, but as i mentioned before, no one has ever wanted to come to memphis, so locking the players up is the best option

Swashcuff
04-17-2011, 11:42 PM
I think anyone who is saying Zach deserved this contract (if it is indeed 4/71) is being delusional. I know in today's NBA players are getting rewarded like Crazy but 4/71 is a ton of a lot for Z-Bo. I don't blame them for coming to terms with him, IMO it was the right decision but they may just have overpaid by a bit more than they should. I love the fact however that's its not a 5+ year deal but instead a 4 because I really don't see Z-Bo playing at a very high level at 35-36.

SI is reporting 4/66 however.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/basketball/nba/04/17/zach.randolph/

Sadds The Gr8
04-17-2011, 11:42 PM
K Colangelo now lets get Gasol

Swashcuff
04-17-2011, 11:50 PM
I had the debate about Rudy Gay's potential the other day with a couple Memphis supporters and I too believe Rudy has room to grow, but the question is how much will that growth become.

Could his career follow that of Paul Pierce (who was an undeniable borderline superstar by his 3rd year in the league) or is he going to be more of a Glenn Robinson type of player. Note I am no way comparing their styles of player but rather their peak potential and career production. I really don't think Rudy has superstar potential in him. OJ prior to this season however is a different debate all together.

hugepatsfan
04-17-2011, 11:57 PM
I see them as the Hawks of the West. I think they will be a consistant playoff team but I don't think they have enough to get past the 2nd round. I think they're pretty much locking themselves into their current roster. It will take a real shrewd GM to make the move that pushes them over the top IMO.

Hellcrooner
04-18-2011, 12:07 AM
^unless they find the way to make Orlando Accept a Mayo+ Marc gasol offer for dwight or NO a Conley and Marc offer for Paul they are never ever going to smell a WCF ( unless they wake up and let MAYO and MARC be the ones calling the shots instead of the two ballhogs like they are doing now)

PrettyBoyJ
04-18-2011, 12:26 AM
I think he deserves it.. He had a better year then Boozer and Boozer is getting paid more

DamnGoat
04-18-2011, 12:28 AM
I doubt they can afford to bring Gasol and/or Mayo back now. Not sure if this was a smart move by Memphis. They have a lot of money committed to 3 players now in Conley, Gay & Z-Bo and it's not like they're on the verge of being an elite team. I think they locked themselves into being the Atlanta Hawks of the West.

king4day
04-18-2011, 12:35 AM

You have to keep in mind that it's tough for places like Memphis to attract stars. Randolph is a star who just commited long term.

While Memphis brass and fans want to win a title, they need to attract fans and give them a reason to come see the team. So this team is in good shape. They will compete for the next half decade and anything could happen if Gay or Conley blows up.

lilojmayo
04-18-2011, 12:56 AM
I doubt they can afford to bring Gasol and/or Mayo back now. Not sure if this was a smart move by Memphis. They have a lot of money committed to 3 players now in Conley, Gay & Z-Bo and it's not like they're on the verge of being an elite team. I think they locked themselves into being the Atlanta Hawks of the West.

People forget that we are a top 4 young team is terms of age. Guys like Gay, Conley, Mayo, Arthur are all 22-24 years old unlike Hawks who's team was much older.

Many talk about are the Grizzlies going to pay their players. They always have the option of packaging Marc Gasol+ OJ Mayo and see what they can get. That is a very very attractive package deal, that could possibly bring in a current superstar that isn't happy with their current situation

Superior_Knicks
04-18-2011, 12:56 AM
I always liked ZBo on the court, and I'm glad he got recognized for his play.

Gators123
04-18-2011, 12:58 AM
People forget that we are a top 4 young team is terms of age. Guys like Gay, Conley, Mayo, Arthur are all 22-24 years old unlike Hawks who's team was much older.

Many talk about are the Grizzlies going to pay their players. They always have the option of packaging Marc Gasol+ OJ Mayo and see what they can get. That is a very very attractive package deal, that could possibly bring in a current superstar that isn't happen with their current situation

The Myth, The Man, The Legend, lilojmayo :worthy::worthy:

fadedmario
04-18-2011, 01:09 AM
Horrible contract - good luck with that

E.O.21
04-18-2011, 01:49 AM
Well deserved but i wanted to see him play in a championship contending team

Lim
04-18-2011, 04:18 AM
can you say bad contract? 4 years 71 million to a 30 year old with the propensity to get lazy and out of shape and not care? ya def not a good idea.

John Walls Era
04-18-2011, 04:40 AM
smh. They will rue the day they gave a huge contract like this to Zbo.

mightybosstone
04-18-2011, 11:26 AM
This is good news for teams looking for a center in free agency. If someone offers Gasol a deal worth $11-12 million a year, I'm not sure Memphis will have the funds to match it depending on how the CBA and the cap shakes out.

Mile High Champ
04-18-2011, 12:04 PM
As long as Randolph plays as well as he did this season, the contract looks good. Randolph really improved defensively this year which has helped make him a much more complete player. For years ZBO was simply a defensive liability no matter where he was on the court but for now he is actually showing some effort and attention to improving the worst facet of his game. I am not saying he is a good defender, just that he has improved enough to get by. It is hard to argue with his offensive game as well when you consider his numbers this season were amongst the best for all the leagues big men. Good move by Memphis in my mind though I would not of said this two years ago..Oh how time changed things.

Iverson3018
04-18-2011, 01:43 PM
Well deserved

Z-BO is just a great player

Tony_Starks
04-18-2011, 02:17 PM
Long overdue, good job for Z-Bo. There's no denying he's the key element in why they are doing the good things they're doing now.

Some of you guys are hating on the contract but answer me this: how many teams have a really nice, above average front court sowed up like Memphis? Thats a rare thing, they are in a good position for the future. All you do now is fill in the auxillary pieces.

Cracka2HI!
04-18-2011, 05:03 PM
I really like Z-Bo's game, but this seems like WAY too much money. I wonder what another team would have offered him? I think maybe $12 million per max. That said he is a good player and they kept their man!

gaughan333
04-18-2011, 06:26 PM
Long overdue, good job for Z-Bo. There's no denying he's the key element in why they are doing the good things they're doing now.

Some of you guys are hating on the contract but answer me this: how many teams have a really nice, above average front court sowed up like Memphis? Thats a rare thing, they are in a good position for the future. All you do now is fill in the auxillary pieces.
Gasol hasn't been extended yet, has he?

MrfadeawayJB
04-18-2011, 09:39 PM

No but he will be bet on it

northsid3r
04-19-2011, 11:01 AM
he's been on the move alot, this is good for him.

mzgrizz
04-19-2011, 11:14 AM
Yep; he is really a part of the bigger Memphis community and has shed his old labels as far as I'm concerned. Some of the posters on this forum think people can't change.
Sorry for them when they need to do it for themselves!!!!

Missing56&33
04-19-2011, 11:14 AM
seem a bit premature to me , why not wait until the series is over? He must be doing well in the community and in the locker room...... but I think it will come back to bite them in the ***.

mzgrizz
04-19-2011, 11:21 AM

His is the next deal to be done. It does appear that Heisley is willing to do whatever it takes to keep him. Any team that just wants him to plug a gaping hole at center position had better A) have enough money to override our billionaire or B) if you have the $$$$, you may not have the team in place for a playoff run, and make you less desirable to Marc. We actually have both now. Isn't life good???? BTW his family has lived in Memphis for the past 10 years and has his younger brother in school here. I hear family is BIG in Spain.