PDA

View Full Version : Player safety ( the tyler hansbrough story )

Kyben36
04-17-2011, 03:15 AM
Is anyone else a little bit disgusted by the fact that, well. tyler hansbrough was allowed to play after he got basicaly knocked out. I have no problem with a player returning to the game, but it looked from the video like the guy could not even walk strait or stand up. he had to be helped off the court and helped to a chair cuase he could not stand. I understnad that Im sure Hansbrough wanted to play, but I as just worried about the fact that he was allowed to return after was basicaly looked like he could have had a concussion. did anyone else find this a little big unhuman the fact that he was allowed to return, or am I just a little girl thinking this way. ( and yes I understand that he looked good afterwords too, but should he have been allowed to play.

KingsAndNiners
04-17-2011, 03:28 AM
yeah totally unhuman

Lim
04-17-2011, 03:32 AM
trainers wouldn't let him play if they thought he had a concussion.

btw how didnt boozer get a flagrant foul when he blatantly pushed hansbrough in the back while airborn dunking? thats how peoples careers get ended, and thats how andrew boguts arm got snapped in half.

six
04-17-2011, 03:32 AM
Remember when melo collapsed on the court and they continued playing? Kind of reminds me of that.

abe_froman
04-17-2011, 03:42 AM
he's a warrior(he was like this at unc to).i respect that he wanted back in

Meatmypet
04-17-2011, 04:28 AM
trainers wouldn't let him play if they thought he had a concussion.

btw how didnt boozer get a flagrant foul when he blatantly pushed hansbrough in the back while airborn dunking? thats how peoples careers get ended, and thats how andrew boguts arm got snapped in half.

bogut lost his handle at the rim with his dunk. Amare touched him after the dunk was made and his momentum swung him off the rim.

But you're right about Boozer not getting a flagrant on that.

Back on topic though. Trainers wouldn't have let him back in if he really couldn't play. Regardless the situation, Tyler literally carried the Pacers back until their collapse with too much Rose down the stretch.

I think the Bulls would've won by more had Tyler not come back in.

Raph12
04-17-2011, 04:36 AM
Unhuman?... Do you mean "inhumane"?

WHODAT8o8
04-17-2011, 04:39 AM
Is anyone else a little bit disgusted by the fact that, well. tyler hansbrough was allowed to play after he got basicaly knocked out. I have no problem with a player returning to the game, but it looked from the video like the guy could not even walk strait or stand up. he had to be helped off the court and helped to a chair cuase he could not stand. I understnad that Im sure Hansbrough wanted to play, but I as just worried about the fact that he was allowed to return after was basicaly looked like he could have had a concussion. did anyone else find this a little big unhuman the fact that he was allowed to return, or am I just a little girl thinking this way. ( and yes I understand that he looked good afterwords too, but should he have been allowed to play.

In the nicest way possible, they are professionals. If it was really that bad they wouldnt have let him back in. He was obviously good if he could go back in.

hgtiger32
04-17-2011, 04:39 AM
bogut lost his handle at the rim with his dunk. Amare touched him after the dunk was made and his momentum swung him off the rim. But you're right about Boozer not getting a flagrant on that.

Back on topic though. Trainers wouldn't have let him back in if he really couldn't play. Regardless the situation, Tyler literally carried the Pacers back until their collapse with too much Rose down the stretch.

I think the Bulls would've won by more had Tyler not come back in.

yeah bogut was a dummy and let go of the rim when his body was parallel to the floor

flips333
04-17-2011, 04:07 PM
he's a warrior(he was like this at unc to).i respect that he wanted back in

This attitude is kind of dangerous. A guy who gets knocked out in a game should not come back in. A concussion is serious, and could be fatal. There is no reason why we should praise folks for risking their lives, or their brains for a sporting event. It's like when Donald Driver let Aaron Rodgers know that he should tell some one during the Lions game. That is what should be praised. That concussion could have cost them the playoffs, but better that then losing your mind.

They aren't warriors... they're just people lucky enough to be paid millions to play a game.

flips333
04-17-2011, 04:11 PM
In the nicest way possible, they are professionals. If it was really that bad they wouldnt have let him back in. He was obviously good if he could go back in.

There is no way a guy on the floor with a couple of questions and maybe a pen light could determine if he was in danger... Professionals they are but I don't see how if tyler was really knocked unconscious that he should have been let back out on the court.

Sly Guy
04-17-2011, 04:15 PM
losing your equilibrium is not the same as having a concussion. You can lose your equilibrium from any good shot to the jaw or a hit to the head. Concussions are when the head is hit so hard the brain slams against the cranium causing damage. Unless Hans was seeing stars, lost memory or motor function, feeling physically ill/dizzy, or his pupils weren't reacting to light normally, then he prob didn't have a concussion, so send him back in when he gets his legs back.

tredigs
04-17-2011, 04:16 PM
It's basketball, not hockey. Very low chance he'd get a significant hit in the head again.

As long as he felt fine and the trainers cleared him it's definitely not a big deal.

ChiTownPacerFan
04-17-2011, 04:39 PM
Tyler has had vertigo problems in the past. It actually caused him to miss most of his rookie season. I think this is the main reason they were making sure his equilibrium was stable.

IndiansFan337
04-17-2011, 04:43 PM
You are not allowed to return to the game if you suffer a concussion....So their medical team checked him out before he was cleared to return.

NIUHuskies
04-17-2011, 04:47 PM
Tyler has had vertigo problems in the past. It actually caused him to miss most of his rookie season. I think this is the main reason they were making sure his equilibrium was stable.

This.

I think he was woozy, but once his equilibrium readjusted he was fine to continue playing. They aren't letting a guy return with a concussion.

Boozer shoving him on that dunk was stupid.

pd1dish
04-17-2011, 04:49 PM
losing your equilibrium is not the same as having a concussion. You can lose your equilibrium from any good shot to the jaw or a hit to the head. Concussions are when the head is hit so hard the brain slams against the cranium causing damage. Unless Hans was seeing stars, lost memory or motor function, feeling physically ill/dizzy, or his pupils weren't reacting to light normally, then he prob didn't have a concussion, so send him back in when he gets his legs back.

he apparently went unconscious because he laid there with a camera on him for about 10-15 seconds with his eyes closed, not moving, and breathing extremely heavily. so, unless he was faking it, he went out cold, which means it was more than just losing his equilibrium. if he just lost his equilibrium, he would have been completely conscious, but extremely dizzy. my guess is he had a mild concussion or faked being blacked out maybe in hopes of a technical being called.

Punk
04-17-2011, 04:54 PM
You do realize, he wanted to play right?

Spiggity_ace
04-17-2011, 04:58 PM
sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit i didnt know the elbow was that bad, it just looked like he fell n got up by the way the highlights showed it, let me say this though, hansbroughs a ****in warrior, he's really impressed me in the nba this season, i didnt think he would translate at al from the ncaa, like i thought he would be a 12th man, but im so glad he developed into psycho T at the nba level.

he'll be one of my favourite players for years to come for sure.

sep11ie
04-17-2011, 05:00 PM
I kinda went crosseyed from reading that. Do you think PSD will allow me to read another thread?

redwhitenblue
04-17-2011, 05:03 PM
sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit i didnt know the elbow was that bad, it just looked like he fell n got up by the way the highlights showed it, let me say this though, hansbroughs a ****in warrior, he's really impressed me in the nba this season, i didnt think he would translate at al from the ncaa, like i thought he would be a 12th man, but im so glad he developed into psycho T at the nba level.

he'll be one of my favourite players for years to come for sure.
The elbow wasn't, his head hit his teammates knee on the way down.

As for the Boozer shove, it wasn't malicious, that's why it wasn't a flagrant. He tried to stop him from making the dunk but didn't intend to knock him down. Watch the replay, he doesn't pull down on Hansbrough at all and Hansbrough doesn't fall hard. If he did fall hard, it probably is called a flagrant.

Wade>You
04-17-2011, 05:03 PM
OP is a Bulls fan. I'm pretty sure he wasn't concerned when Kurt Thomas wasn't called for the flagrant foul and that his fav team won in part by injuring one of their best players...

redwhitenblue
04-17-2011, 05:04 PM
OP is a Bulls fan. I'm pretty sure he wasn't concerned when Kurt Thomas wasn't called for the flagrant foul and that his fav team won in part by injuring one of their best players...
What should Kurt Thomas had been called a flagrant for? Hell, it shouldn't have even been a foul if you watch the actual play. He doesn't throw an elbow or intentionally poke his elbows out. Hansbrough was actually grabbing Thomas' arm, which is what caused his right elbow to be extended out.

pd1dish
04-17-2011, 05:11 PM

it was an inadvertent elbow. im sure the refs went to the monitor at some point to see if a technical was deemed necessary. the announcers even thought that it was an arguable no-call because it was two players fighting for a rebound and when you are jumping in the air trying to grab the ball, your elbows are near the heads of the people around you.

if you really think that it deserved a flagrant, then your just another PSD heat fan talking **** about the bulls.

Sofnr
04-17-2011, 05:18 PM

Please don't try to turn this thread into another Bulls/Heat flamewar. The subject is whether or not Tyler should have returned to the game. The trainers are professionals. I'm sure they would not have allowed him to return if he was at risk. He had an amazing game.

Kannon81
04-17-2011, 05:21 PM

As my Boy S. King would say. I'm gonna hit you with a H.O.P.
HOLD ON PLAYA!

Rndy
04-17-2011, 05:47 PM
If what KT and Boozer did was a flagrant which you could have an argument for Boozer. Then Indiana should have had at least one flagrant for the hits Rose was taking. There was a play when Killer T didn't even go for the ball but instead for Roses face.

210Don
04-17-2011, 05:50 PM
nah its the playoffs unless your dyeing guys will be out there

kalel
04-17-2011, 06:40 PM
If what KT and Boozer did was a flagrant which you could have an argument for Boozer. Then Indiana should have had at least one flagrant for the hits Rose was taking. There was a play when Killer T didn't even go for the ball but instead for Roses face.

Seriously did you not see the part where he hit the ball? And on top of that are you seriously equating someone being slapped in the face to someone being shoved in the back while in the air? One may make your face turn red the other can cause serious injury.

IamKaiserSoze
04-17-2011, 07:00 PM

another heat fan with an anti bulls post. shocking. must be some sort of a failed love affair or something

davids22
04-17-2011, 09:46 PM
LOL at the fact that the thread was created by a Bulls fan.

Rose-For-Prez
04-17-2011, 10:40 PM
I don't get why everyone is so obsessed with the thread being made by a bulls fan he didn't say anything bad or negative about the Pacers. He was just stating the face that T was laid out and looked like he was out cold and that he had to be helped walking and sitting down.

And LOL at the Heat fan always trying to hate on the bulls.

But to answer the question if he didn't have a concussion then I see no problem with him coming back in but if he did have a concussion then he should be left out of the game and reevaluated in the morning.

nightBULL
04-17-2011, 10:40 PM
His shot didn't appear off after he returned to the game. He was still killing us with those 15-18 footers. He seemed fine.

minervamob
04-17-2011, 10:44 PM
If it was a concussion he wouldnt be allowed to play. The threat of a second concussion in short period of time can result in death.

minervamob
04-17-2011, 10:47 PM
If anything he wasnt lights out but his jumper was! How hard is it to play in front of your man Boozer? Its not like he can drive and score.

davids22
04-18-2011, 02:41 AM
It DOES matter that a Bulls fan created this. What is Indiana had won? Every Bulls fan would be behind the OP and say that Hansbrough shouldn't have been allowed to play (and use "his safety and career" as the excuse, when really they'd just be embarrassed that someone who got concussed still got the job done against their #1 Defense).

Lim
04-18-2011, 03:52 AM
The elbow wasn't, his head hit his teammates knee on the way down.

As for the Boozer shove, it wasn't malicious, that's why it wasn't a flagrant. He tried to stop him from making the dunk but didn't intend to knock him down. Watch the replay, he doesn't pull down on Hansbrough at all and Hansbrough doesn't fall hard. If he did fall hard, it probably is called a flagrant.

he blatantly pushed him in the back while he was airborn(helpless) going for a dunk. he made no play at the ball, that's how peoples careers are ended. the fact that he didn't fall hard is a moot point, that should be called a flagrant regardless if he gets hurt or not.