PDA

View Full Version : Worst MVP choices ever

hotpotato1092
04-16-2011, 06:35 PM
What were the worst MVP choices ever? Here are a few in my mind:

2006: Nash over Kobe. I was totally on board with Nash winning his first MVP over Shaq, but the fact that Kobe didn't win this one was ridiculous. I've never seen any one single player carry a team like that for a full season EVER. He scored 35 points per game! He had one other legitimate player on his roster (Lamar Odom)! Look at this roster: http://www.lakersuniverse.com/seasons/2005_2006_roster.htm. That does it for me, Kobe was the '06 MVP.

2002: Duncan over Kidd: This one is probably the least egregious of any, because in a normal season I'd be fine with Duncan getting it. But we all watched that season. We all saw Jason Kidd take a team that had only a rookie Kenyon Martin, a young Richard Jefferson, and a bunch of below average role players to 52 wins and a trip to the finals. Think about that. I don't care how bad the conference was, that's astounding. Why is that Steve Nash does virtually the same thing, only he has Amare Stoudemire, Shawn Marion and Joe Johnson, and he wins the MVP, yet Kidd does it with a pile of horse **** and doesn't? Kidd was the '02 MVP in my books, I don't care what the stats say.

1997: Malone over Jordan: How is it that MJ could have pretty much the same season in '97 that he had in '96, win 3 less games (72 to 69) and not win MVP? He had 99% the same season he had the year before where he won almost unanimously. I feel like Malone should have handed MJ the trophy after he beat him in the finals.

1995: Robinson over Hakeem: Another one where the playoffs fixed it, Hakeem DEVOURED Robinson when they met in the post season.

What do you guys think?

GREATNESS ONE
04-16-2011, 06:40 PM

2006: Nash over Kobe. I was totally on board with Nash winning his first MVP over Shaq, but the fact that Kobe didn't win this one was ridiculous. I've never seen any one single player carry a team like that for a full season EVER. He scored 35 points per game! He had one other legitimate player on his roster (Lamar Odom)! Look at this roster: http://www.lakersuniverse.com/seasons/2005_2006_roster.htm. That does it for me, Kobe was the '06 MVP.

2002: Duncan over Kidd: This one is probably the least egregious of any, because in a normal season I'd be fine with Duncan getting it. But we all watched that season. We all saw Jason Kidd take a team that had only a rookie Kenyon Martin, a young Richard Jefferson, and a bunch of below average role players to 52 wins and a trip to the finals. Think about that. I don't care how bad the conference was, that's astounding. Why is that Steve Nash does virtually the same thing, only he has Amare Stoudemire, Shawn Marion and Joe Johnson, and he wins the MVP, yet Kidd does it with a pile of horse **** and doesn't? Kidd was the '02 MVP in my books, I don't care what the stats say.

1997: Malone over Jordan: How is it that MJ could have pretty much the same season in '97 that he had in '96, win 3 less games (72 to 69) and not win MVP? He had 99% the same season he had the year before where he won almost unanimously. I feel like Malone should have handed MJ the trophy after he beat him in the finals.

1995: Robinson over Hakeem: Another one where the playoffs fixed it, Hakeem DEVOURED Robinson when they met in the post season.

What do you guys think?

LMAO perfect. Great list

SteveNash
04-16-2011, 06:42 PM
AI over Shaq in '01.

heatking
04-16-2011, 06:54 PM
Drose

DROSE4MVP
04-16-2011, 06:59 PM
Haha, Shizzle... we all knew it was coming.

hotpotato1092
04-16-2011, 07:01 PM
Idea: why don't we NOT talk about Derrick Rose in just one thread? There are plenty of bad MVPs to pick from, let's not bash a good one.

gsgs49
04-16-2011, 07:02 PM
Kobe Bryant over Chris Paul in 2008 and Steve Nash over Dirk Nowitzki in 2006.

Basketash
04-16-2011, 07:05 PM
Lebron over Wade

kgformvp21
04-16-2011, 07:18 PM
There were alot of times KG didnt get any recognition for the ****** teams he played on and the stats he put up. one of the years duncan won it only because of his playoff runs. Kg always got hated on for mvp. And about dwight howard, he can play defense cause hes big ill give him that, but he should easily be able to put up 30 35 pts a game but he dosnt, with his body and athletisism you would think he would. D rose gets the vote this year, followed by kobe than lbj

ChI_ShIzzLe
04-16-2011, 07:23 PM
Idea: why don't we NOT talk about Derrick Rose in just one thread? There are plenty of bad MVPs to pick from, let's not bash a good one.

Wait, you mean you didn't have the slightest of idea that the Rose for MVP debate would come up in a "Worst MVP Choices Ever" thread? I am befuddled to say the least.

hotpotato1092
04-16-2011, 07:26 PM
Wait, you mean you didn't have the slightest of idea that the Rose for MVP debate would come up in a "Worst MVP Choices Ever" thread? I am befuddled to say the least.

I did, I just think it's ridiculous that EVERY thread has to be about Rose. Personally I don't think you can judge and MVP until after the playoffs, that's just me. This thread is about pre 2011 MVPs. Btw, technically Rose HASN'T won the MVP yet, so he can't be among the worst MVPs. Just saying. But my point is, LET'S STOP MAKING EVERYTHING ABOUT DERRICK ROSE!!!!!! THERE ARE 5,999,999,999 OTHER PEOPLE IN THE WORLD!!!!

mdm692
04-16-2011, 07:32 PM

What do you guys think?

The reason nash gets it over dirk and kobe is cause you take away stoudemire joe johnson quentin richardsin you add tim thomas raja bell and diaw and nash still carries his team to 54 wins. Its not just about points and stats and yes kobe meant a lot to lakers that year.

my pick is dirk over nash preventing the 3peat

DamnGoat
04-16-2011, 07:34 PM
This thread should be fun.

Chronz
04-16-2011, 07:40 PM
I literally disagree with everything you said. Duncan smashed on kidd that year

Chill_Will_24
04-16-2011, 07:43 PM

:clap: :clap: :clap: i agree 100% percent. I feel like every thread turns into a Rose hate or ball licking thread. Hes not MVP yet... he hasnt won the title yet... he doesnt need to be mentioned in this thread at all...

on topic, i think Shaq shoulda took it in '01... Also i agree with you on Kidd not taking it. Props for mentioning it as a Knicks fan

Chill_Will_24
04-16-2011, 07:45 PM
I literally disagree with everything you said. Duncan smashed on kidd that year

Duncan didnt mean as much to his team as Kidd meant to his... thats not even debatable. Kidd did the impossible with a bag of trash and made the Nets, who are a joke of a franshise, respectable during his time there.

drizzy101
04-16-2011, 07:45 PM
**Waits for the Rose haters to enter the thread and say how he will top that list this season**

derrick rose for sure

drizzy101
04-16-2011, 07:47 PM

it probably wouldn't for awhile before you kindly reminded us :) Thanks!

dtmagnet
04-16-2011, 07:48 PM
You say Nash had Marion and Stoudemire etc but you forget that it was Nash who made those players relevant in the first place.

FlakeyFool
04-16-2011, 07:59 PM
What a crap list

madvillian9
04-16-2011, 08:03 PM
jordan should have won it every year from 87-88 to 97-98 minus the baseball years. jordan's 98-99 trophy should belong to malone but then again he did beat him in the finals so it can be justified. they should rename the trophy "most captivating story on a highly seeded playoff contender with above average statistics player"

MCSHSPCAASP

fadedmario
04-16-2011, 08:24 PM
Derrick Rose

rufo4100
04-16-2011, 08:28 PM
in 2002 Kidd deserved it over Duncan.

rufo4100
04-16-2011, 08:29 PM
also in 97 they were tired of giving it to Jordan so Malone got it.

KnicksR4Real
04-16-2011, 08:33 PM
no one cares about nash or rose.

NYK BaLLaS
04-16-2011, 08:36 PM
I did, I just think it's ridiculous that EVERY thread has to be about Rose. Personally I don't think you can judge and MVP until after the playoffs, that's just me. This thread is about pre 2011 MVPs. Btw, technically Rose HASN'T won the MVP yet, so he can't be among the worst MVPs. Just saying. But my point is, LET'S STOP MAKING EVERYTHING ABOUT DERRICK ROSE!!!!!! THERE ARE 5,999,999,999 OTHER PEOPLE IN THE WORLD!!!!

actually 6,000,000,000

IamKaiserSoze
04-16-2011, 09:11 PM
i think every winner of mvp, every one, had a very valid reason to win and was worthy. now, was there someone else that was also worthy of winning every year? sure. but not one winner has ever sucked. dumb thread.

Denver-boy
04-16-2011, 09:34 PM
**Waits for the Rose haters to enter the thread and say how he will top that list this season**

Bulls fan find every MVP conversation and try mention Rose...lol they want this. SO self Centered :rolleyes:

kArSoN RyDaH
04-16-2011, 09:47 PM
Kobe should have it in 06 and 07. Wade in 08. Shaq should have 2. Kobe should have had it in 03 as well.

Chronz
04-16-2011, 10:02 PM
Duncan didnt mean as much to his team as Kidd meant to his... thats not even debatable. Kidd did the impossible with a bag of trash and made the Nets, who are a joke of a franshise, respectable during his time there.

He easily meant more to his superior team, its not even close

kswissdaf
04-16-2011, 10:12 PM
Kobe over chris paul

John Walls Era
04-16-2011, 10:15 PM
Dirk deserved it the year he won, but it was funny when he didn't get the trophy handed out to him in front of the crowd.

LayZbone
04-16-2011, 10:18 PM
Ultimately 43 games just isn't enough, but Wade absolutely beasted in 08-09, and he had zero help.

30.2 ppg
7.5 apg
5.0 rpg
2.2 spg
1.3 bpg (6'4" :speechless:)
49% fg
30.4 PER

But Lebron was right there with him, with 66 wins for good measure.

ManOnFire
04-16-2011, 10:19 PM

Word...I like Rose, he's a unique talent and very humble and says all the right things, but damn his fans and lil minions are insufferable.

pacofunk64
04-16-2011, 10:36 PM
Anyone who wins it over the next 10 years besides LBJ. I mean Lebron averages 27, 7, 7 this year and it's almost as if he had a down year. He's set the bar so high for himself that he'll need to avergae a triple double. It also hurts that he plays with DWade now. I think that is even more reason why LBJ won't get it this year and DRose putting up great #'s.

Chill_Will_24
04-16-2011, 10:38 PM
He easily meant more to his superior team, its not even close

Superior teammates too... Kidd had nobody. Duncan is the better player but he shouldnt have been MVP over Kidd

Ebbs
04-17-2011, 04:09 AM
It pisses me off when people don't give Dirk credit for the year be won. Honestly I think he was deserving in05-06 as well as when he won in 06-07.

06: PER=1st, ORTG=2nd, Win shares =1st, WS/48=1st, team won 60 games.
07: PER=1st, ORTG=3rd, Win shares =1st, WS/48=1st, team won 67 games.

theheatles
04-17-2011, 04:37 AM
Ultimately 43 games just isn't enough, but Wade absolutely beasted in 08-09, and he had zero help.

30.2 ppg
7.5 apg
5.0 rpg
2.2 spg
49% fg
30.4 PER

wade played 79 games in 08-09

John Walls Era
04-17-2011, 04:40 AM

This is 100% unvalidated, so take it for what its worth. The NBA doesn't give it to players who look bad in the media. I think that was the year Kidd was accused of beating his wife. Another example is the Kobe-Colarado gate (Kobe did win eventually, but he was long overdue).

I'm not even saying Kidd deserved it or not, but even if he deserved it more than Duncan, he wouldn't have won it because Stern wouldn't allow him to (despite the media voting... we all know who pulls the strings).

Evolution23
04-17-2011, 04:41 AM
Bulls fans! we get it! Rose is MVP. Clearly he is, so stop getting mad if some idiot says he isn't.

John Walls Era
04-17-2011, 04:44 AM
I bet David Robinson would put himself on here. Then maybe Hakeem wouldn't have gone crazy on him, then maybe Spurs could've beaten them (doubt it).

Raph12
04-17-2011, 04:47 AM
Rose over Dwight

Today was just another example, Dwight can easily put up the points and do it MUCH more efficiently with less touches, the difference is that Rose's teammates provide help on both ends. There wasn't a single Magic player (besides Dwight duh) that didn't need double-team help in iso situations vs Atlanta. On offense, despite a great quarter from Nelson (20 in the third), his teammate got shutdown and not one could create a shot for himself/others to make the defense work.

1v5 only works if you have the team defense to back it up, which Rose has and Dwight doesn't.

John Walls Era
04-17-2011, 04:53 AM
^ So that would mean you think Dwight should get MVP (Rose over Dwight? Because Rose really hasnt won it yet). Because if it is then I agree.

basketfan4life
04-17-2011, 04:53 AM
i gotta say, till last 10 games of the year i never tought rose was mvp, the idea of him havin equal mvp awards with kobe and more than wade was so strange at the beginning, for the last 10 games i paid close attention and i have to say, rose is definetly MVP.

say all you want,put any stats you want, say that it's their defence, but rose not only plays great, he gives them confidence solely by standing on the court.

Raph12
04-17-2011, 05:28 AM
^ So that would mean you think Dwight should get MVP (Rose over Dwight? Because Rose really hasnt won it yet). Because if it is then I agree.

Definitely think he should, but he won't, the media likes to run with the story over the facts... This is one decade later, but same story; David vs Goliath, AI vs Shaq AKA Rose vs Dwight. And just like it was ten years ago, the player that is more deserving (Shaq and now Dwight), won't win.

Crackadalic
04-17-2011, 07:19 AM
MJ not winning every MVP since his 1st one is a travesty.

KingPosey
04-17-2011, 07:28 AM
Haha, Shizzle... we all knew it was coming.

They said Rose because you guys brought it up. Like you guys do in every thread. That was the point.

KingPosey
04-17-2011, 07:29 AM
Bulls fan find every MVP conversation and try mention Rose...lol they want this. SO self Centered :rolleyes:

yep.

And you know what sucks? I like Rose, and a lot more people on PSD would too if it wasnt for the way Chi fans act on here. They think everyone is a hater but they beat DRose into the ground like they are ESPN covering a Favre story.

Law25
04-17-2011, 08:02 AM
You say Nash had Marion and Stoudemire etc but you forget that it was Nash who made those players relevant in the first place.

Sorry gotta call b.s . I took notice to Stoudemire before Nash got ther. He was already plantong an seed of fear in players heart. Look at how even before Melo joined up with him the Knicks were ballin and Stat was making his case as MVP, and Nash wasnt and isnt even in the playoff picture. The only player who Nash brung into the spotlight was Marion. My question is would you give it to Rondo if the celtics won first in the East. He has the same role and in my opinion as important as Nash was. No you wouldnt. Aside from him being an celtics :D the team is to stack as Nash's was and he's playing with mulitple allstars.

On another note i felt bad for Wade because he didnt win MVP because the media and voters knew they screwed Kobe out of one or two in prior seasons. So his amazing season was wasted. And correct me if im wrong but i recall hearing that at that time during an game or on sportscenter.

Knicks21
04-17-2011, 08:19 AM

This.

alencp3
04-17-2011, 08:28 AM
kobe over cp3 in 08

quade36
04-17-2011, 08:34 AM
Can we just not call this MVP. It really needs to be called best player in the league award. Obviously people in this forum are not intelligent enough to realize that MVP doesn't necessarily mean best player in the league. With the Drose talk its so old its ridiculous. Person A whines all the time on how DRose shouldn't be MVP. The same person whines all the time about how the Bulls would be nothing without him and the Bulls will go where he goes. Funny that sounds like he is pretty valuable to his team. Question you all need to ask is where does this team stand without that player. I've said before that I doubt the Bulls even make the playoffs. Whereas with all other superstars in this conversation, their team still at least makes the playoffs. But again, we are talking about best player in the league not most valuable.

JordansBulls
04-17-2011, 09:14 AM

Kobe got it that year because he led the Lakers to the top seed.

I agree that Dirk in 2006 should have won it. Led the Mavs to 60 wins and led the league in PER, Win Shares and WS/PER 48 minutes.

PrettyBoyJ
04-17-2011, 09:31 AM

What do you guys think?

LMFAO this had me dying

Hawkeye15
04-17-2011, 10:21 AM
Lebron over Wade

Wade's teams didn't win even remotely enough games for him to even qualify for the award dude.

Big Zo
04-17-2011, 10:27 AM
Steve Nash both times.

Hawkeye15
04-17-2011, 10:33 AM
Superior teammates too... Kidd had nobody. Duncan is the better player but he shouldnt have been MVP over Kidd

what difference does that make? Duncan was more important, to a better team, period. Kidd was great that year, but if he would have won it, it would have been because of hype.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=duncati01&y1=2002&p2=kiddja01&y2=2002

They don't even compare actually. For that year, I would have taken Dirk and Shaq over Kidd as well

mrs rose
04-17-2011, 11:00 AM
i think MVP award has been rigged since MJ left.
Its not about what the award should actually stand for.
Its more about PR and the NBA CARES motto, who is the best story for the year.
Not who is most valuable player in the league.

Its about the record, who is.. and who isnt on your team.
Many deserving MVP'S have been robbed because of the talent on their team.
And many have been robbed because of the record of their team.
Or the most recent standard.. or you good PR...or bad PR for the league.

Still shocking kobe has only ONE MVP, and that WADE has none, and that CHRIS paul didnt get the one he actually deserved.

This notion about you having superstars on your team takes you out of the running's of MVP is silly. Then MJ should have 0 right, because his whole career he had scottie or multiple stars on the team. Same goes for SHAQ right?

Again its silly thats why you have fans chanting in all arena's their personal favorite is the MVP. Heck the award is such a joke now i heard joel anthony get MVP chants at the miami vs 76ers game.

Jaji
04-17-2011, 11:04 AM

What do you guys think?

Your logic contradicts itself. You say Jordan and Hakeem should have won over Malone and Robinson, respectively, because they beat them in the playoffs. The year Kobe averaged 35, Nash's Suns beat the Lakers. Downplay his contributions all you want but Nash was the glue of that team. The catalyst.

Steelers23_06
04-17-2011, 11:08 AM
81 point game+no mvp=:facepalm:

that was kobes best season hands down. he was the most unstoppable wing since jordan and has no hardware to show for it. i think the mvp is the dumbest award they should do it like college and call it the most outstanding player instead. think about how hard it is to determine whos more "valuable". thats a lot more opinion based than outstanding. outstanding is pretty much who wowed you the most. idk it will never change...but would make things easier.

KnicksorBust
04-17-2011, 11:37 AM

What do you guys think?

You read Bill Simmons?

hotpotato1092
04-17-2011, 11:51 AM
You read Bill Simmons?

I do, he's right on a lot of them, but I happen to disagree strongly with him on the Duncan/Kidd debate. Speaking of which, I just don't see how Kidd didn't win the award. Put his season next to Nash's in '05 and they're very similar, only Nash did it with far better teammates and a perfect coach for his style, Kidd did it with ****** teammates and a mediocre coach. Just doesn't make sense to me.

KnicksorBust
04-17-2011, 11:55 AM
I do, he's right on a lot of them, but I happen to disagree strongly with him on the Duncan/Kidd debate. Speaking of which, I just don't see how Kidd didn't win the award. Put his season next to Nash's in '05 and they're very similar, only Nash did it with far better teammates and a perfect coach for his style, Kidd did it with ****** teammates and a mediocre coach. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Thought so. It read a lot like his writing with your own twist.

Anyway:
All Time - Wes Unseld
Recent - Chris Paul > Kobe

HouRealCoach
04-17-2011, 12:32 PM
I think u can argue Nash over Kobe but he led his team to the second seed in the west with Diaw at center and Marion leading the team in scoring.. Kobe didnt have much of a team either so you can argue it

But where the **** is Chris Paul getting robbed in 2008.. He shut that year down!!!!

Also iverson deserved that in 01.. No doubt about it, just look at the load he carried night in and night out

hotpotato1092
04-17-2011, 12:53 PM
My reasoning on Kobe over Paul is that they were so close that Kobe essentially gets the tiebreaker because his team had the better record. Also remember, not only did Kobe not have Pau for half of the season, but he also had to integrate him once he got there, CP3 had his same team the entire season. That means something. Btw that was an amazing MVP race when you factor in KG and LeBron.

As for AI vs Shaq, it's very close but I give it to AI. He was slightly down statistically from the year before, and had Kobe to carry the load on nights he wasn't feeling it. AI couldn't afford to have an off night. That's why I give it to him, but you could totally justify giving it to Shaq.

unwantedplayer
04-17-2011, 12:54 PM
Bulls fans! we get it! Rose is MVP. Clearly he is, so stop getting mad if some idiot says he isn't.

So someone is an idiot even if they can make a legitimate case for Dwight 4 MVP?

So many people lack common sense.

Chronz
04-17-2011, 12:57 PM
This is 100% unvalidated, so take it for what its worth. The NBA doesn't give it to players who look bad in the media. I think that was the year Kidd was accused of beating his wife. Another example is the Kobe-Colarado gate (Kobe did win eventually, but he was long overdue).

I'm not even saying Kidd deserved it or not, but even if he deserved it more than Duncan, he wouldn't have won it because Stern wouldn't allow him to (despite the media voting... we all know who pulls the strings).

Kidd came within arms reach of winning it, it wasnt up to stern, purple were actually falling for the "story"

Chronz
04-17-2011, 12:58 PM

He was easily the mvp, his teammates weren't that good to offset such a large discrepancy in team victorious, the biggest reason the 2 teams were far apart were the stars

Chronz
04-17-2011, 12:59 PM
I bet David Robinson would put himself on here. Then maybe Hakeem wouldn't have gone crazy on him, then maybe Spurs could've beaten them (doubt it).

A popular pick but how did dream deserve the mvp over drob?

JasonJohnHorn
04-17-2011, 01:16 PM
Every year there are literally at least 3 or 4 guys who deserve it, and some times as many as a half dozen.

No pick is quantifiable, but I have never seen a player get picked as MVP that wasnt deserving of the award.

knightstemplar
04-17-2011, 01:37 PM
2007 - dirk won, he choked with a 67 win team in the first round, kobe deserved it

heyman321
04-17-2011, 01:43 PM
2007 - dirk won, he choked with a 67 win team in the first round, kobe deserved it

Lol in 06-7? Kobe didn't do anything that year. in 05-06 yeah, but not that next year. It was clearly between Nash and Dirk.

gsgs49
04-17-2011, 02:22 PM
Kobe got it that year because he led the Lakers to the top seed.

I agree that Dirk in 2006 should have won it. Led the Mavs to 60 wins and led the league in PER, Win Shares and WS/PER 48 minutes.

Kobe led his team to the top seed and was great in 08 but also CP3 led his team to the 2nd seed with less talent and the difference between the hornets and the lakers was only one game,Also CP3 led the league in WS and WS/48 and was 2nd in PER that season.

gsgs49
04-17-2011, 02:25 PM

The award is regular season most valuable player and losing in the first round has nothing to do with it.

Iron24th
04-17-2011, 02:29 PM
The 2006 Lakers roster was ridiculous lol!

hotpotato1092
04-17-2011, 02:34 PM
Your logic contradicts itself. You say Jordan and Hakeem should have won over Malone and Robinson, respectively, because they beat them in the playoffs. The year Kobe averaged 35, Nash's Suns beat the Lakers. Downplay his contributions all you want but Nash was the glue of that team. The catalyst.

It's Ok for someone to lose in the playoffs and still be MVP, but the Malone/Robinson MVPs were simply false, that just happened to be proven in the playoffs. I'm not trying to downplay Nash's importance, I was fine with him winning his first MVP, but the second one should have been Kobe's.

Chronz
04-17-2011, 02:56 PM
Every year there are literally at least 3 or 4 guys who deserve it, and some times as many as a half dozen.

No pick is quantifiable, but I have never seen a player get picked as MVP that wasnt deserving of the award.

That's why my thread was better it want about who robbed who but ranking the actual mvps

IndiansFan337
04-17-2011, 03:01 PM
AI over Shaq in '01.

This.

SteBO
04-17-2011, 03:02 PM
The 2006 Lakers roster was ridiculous lol!
:laugh: I miss Smush Parker.

TylerSL
04-17-2011, 03:32 PM
Lebron over Wade in 09...

AIMelo=KillaDUO
04-17-2011, 03:39 PM
AI over Shaq in '01.

the sixers had half the talent, and somehow managed the same records lol lead by Allen Iverson. your worng.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-17-2011, 03:40 PM
There was actually an article on this yesterday on Bleacher Report and you basically have similar ones. In the article it also included that D-Rose should not win it this year.

Jay_Dub
04-17-2011, 03:50 PM
I can't stand the PSD basketball forum right now ... every god damn thread is either bashing or praising D Rose. This is getting ridiculous. You can make a case for Rose LBJ or Howard but it doesn't matter ... it's the media who decides and they have decided the Rose will be the MVP so please guys ... leave it alone. It's the playoffs for god sakes! There HAS to be other things to talk about!

hotpotato1092
04-17-2011, 04:08 PM
Mods should enforce a moratorium on Rose and LBJ talk, this is getting ridiculous.

flips333
04-17-2011, 04:18 PM
AI over Shaq in '01.

Really that's crazy AI was the 6ers. They won 56 and were first in the east... without AI they might have won 25.

cubswin25
04-17-2011, 10:48 PM
Rose over Dwight

Today was just another example, Dwight can easily put up the points and do it MUCH more efficiently with less touches, the difference is that Rose's teammates provide help on both ends. There wasn't a single Magic player (besides Dwight duh) that didn't need double-team help in iso situations vs Atlanta. On offense, despite a great quarter from Nelson (20 in the third), his teammate got shutdown and not one could create a shot for himself/others to make the defense work.

1v5 only works if you have the team defense to back it up, which Rose has and Dwight doesn't.

Players on 4th place teams don't win MVPs end of story. Look at the last 10 years and find me the ones that do. Dwight didn't make that team good enough this year to win. Just like Kobe back in the day wouldn't get the MVP on a lower seed West team.

Rose-For-Prez
04-17-2011, 11:05 PM
This thread seems like it has alot of baiting potential lol

Not knocking the OP he didn't start anything good picks I think the Lebron over wade one two years ago was bad lebron had a good year but Wade had alot better year.

chuckdaily85
04-17-2011, 11:18 PM
i dont care bout anything else..ppl say CP3 should have won it in 08 & he did have a great year, but that would leave Kobe with no MVP's. Its already a travesty that he only has one...

easymcqueen
04-17-2011, 11:31 PM
Steve Nash both times.

2003-2004 suns 29-53

add Nash replace Marbury
2004-2005
Suns 62-20 and the best team in the league.
One of the biggest swings in history.

Marion and Stat were on both teams.

Most Valuable Award

and the next year his numbers were better but I can undestand you on that one.

90% 50% 40%

coolio136
04-17-2011, 11:34 PM
Derrick motha****** Rose

PHX2daDEATH
04-17-2011, 11:59 PM

What do you guys think?

You contradict yourself by saying that Hakeem deserved it over the Admiral after he devoured him in the WCF's to saying Kobe deserved it over Nash after the Suns took the lakers out in the first round.. How many guys have won MVP by being on a 6th seeded team? Not too many if any at that.. Fact of the matter is Kobe was ballhogging that year, you cant be MOST valuable when your team sucks and your not making them any better. If this were Criteria for MVP hell lets just give Kevin Love the damn award right now .Nash too was surrounded by guys who were an after thought that year.. Bell Diaw and everyone knows Marion was one of the most under-appreciated players in the league around this time (Travesty he never made an All-NBA Defensive team) add in the fact that their 2nd best player (Amare) missed the whole year

It wouldnt matter if Kobe was scoring 50 a night, if it wasnt helping his team win games he wasn't that VALUABLE was he? I don't think Kobe cares too much about MVP awards anyways and nor should any fan of Kobe..the guy has 5 rings and I'm sure any MVP winner without a ring would gladly trade in their MVP trophy for atleast one of those rings

HouRealCoach
04-18-2011, 01:08 AM
i think MVP award has been rigged since MJ left.
Its not about what the award should actually stand for.
Its more about PR and the NBA CARES motto, who is the best story for the year.
Not who is most valuable player in the league.

Its about the record, who is.. and who isnt on your team.
Many deserving MVP'S have been robbed because of the talent on their team.
And many have been robbed because of the record of their team.
Or the most recent standard.. or you good PR...or bad PR for the league.

Still shocking kobe has only ONE MVP, and that WADE has none, and that CHRIS paul didnt get the one he actually deserved.

This notion about you having superstars on your team takes you out of the running's of MVP is silly. Then MJ should have 0 right, because his whole career he had scottie or multiple stars on the team. Same goes for SHAQ right?

Again its silly thats why you have fans chanting in all arena's their personal favorite is the MVP. Heck the award is such a joke now i heard joel anthony get MVP chants at the miami vs 76ers game.

First of all, Wade doesnt deserve any..

2005 - Hell no, Steve Nash all the way
2006 - Naw, Miami wasnt to good that regular season
2007 - No comment
2008 - CP3 got robbed, Kobe and KG shouldve been runner ups
2009 - LBJ
2010 - LBJ
2011 - DRose

Where did I go wrong?

Kobe wasnt even the best player on his team from the rookie year to 2002... 2003 shouldve been Dirk or Duncan, 2004 shouldve been KG, 2005 was Nash, 2006 you can argue but I think Nash deserved it, 2007 was Dirk, 2008 SHOULD HAVE been CP3(Kobe didnt deserve it, not to mention the team only did good because Bynum erupted and the Gasol trade), 2009 & 2010 were LeBron hands down

People just think because LBJ has two then Kobe deserves two..

MJ really didnt have stars on his team either.. Pippen was a star but Paxson, Cartwright, Grant, Armstrong and the other unknown guys were no stars and also MJ has broken SOOOO MANY records its ridiculous

E.O.21
04-18-2011, 02:12 AM
Derrick Rose over Dwight Howard :D

LayZbone
04-18-2011, 02:23 AM
wade played 79 games in 08-09

I meant 43 wins wasn't enough.

ellesmeire
04-18-2011, 02:39 AM
come on its got to be rose right?

I have to say...Nash deserved it over kobe...come on Kobe was just a ball-hog that entire yr, how can you explain him hitting 81 that yr(IIRC)

anyway the worse snub is malone over MJ, that I can remember at least

Whomewhome
04-18-2011, 02:55 AM
When Tim Duncan won it over Jason Kidd. That was a travesty

LBJ6
04-18-2011, 05:08 AM

30.2 ppg
7.5 apg
5.0 rpg
2.2 spg
49% fg
30.4 PER

Yup he's definitely right there, actually above Wade, with more wins and a higher PER at 31.76. Not deserving right?