PDA

View Full Version : The Big Three: D-Wade's Legacy

Young and Stupid
04-16-2011, 04:29 PM
We all know what happened this summer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9BqUBYaHlM), as LeBron James and Chris Bosh joined Dwyane Wade in Miami. The Big Three joining forces has been discussed and analyzed ad nauseum; however, I want to focus on a different aspect of it that I haven't previously seen dissected.

When LeBron James and Chris Bosh signed with the Heat, it signaled a power-shift in the landscape of the NBA. Not only did it show that the players had more power over the owners than they had ever previously possessed, it also had a significant impact on the manner in which other players around the league would go about competing for a championship. No longer did superstars look to compete against each other individual, instead they looked to team up with other stars to take on super-teams similar to the one assembled in Miami. We saw this with Amare Stoudemire and Carmelo Anthony joining forces under the bright-lights of Madison Square Garden and we'll soon observe it again when Dwight Howard joins Deron Williams in Brooklyn or Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol in LA. The NBA has always been a star-driven league, but now those stars are culminating a select group of teams to compete against each other.

A large portion of the disapointment that resulted from LeBron's decision to take his talents to South Beach surrounded what many believed to be the destruction of his legacy. LeBron James had the potential to be one of -- if not -- the best players in the history of the NBA; when he joined forces with Dwyane Wade, the belief was that he could no longer cement himself as one of the best to play the game. All of the greats had won championship(s) as the number-one option, the leaders, the alpha-dogs; when LeBron joined Wade, to many it was essentially an admission that he couldn't win a ring on his own and needed to "ride Wade's coattails" in order to accomplish the feat. He was joining someone else's team in an attempt to win -- none of the greats would ever do that. Although LeBron didn't ruin his legacy, the belief was that he could never live up to what many thought he had the potential to become. He was no longer "The Chosen One."

That was part of what made it so frustrating, it was as if LeBron ruined what could have been great for history; his legacy could have rivaled that of the greatest to ever play the game -- Michael Jordan -- but instead we would never get to see that take place.

A long forgotten aspect of the Big Three is Chris Bosh ... just kidding, no one cares about you, Bosh. So much of the focus was turned toward LeBron that many forgot about the so-called leader of the team he was joining -- Dwyane Wade. Wade was (and is) an undisputed super-star, one of the top-3 players in the NBA and will probably go down as one of the top-30 players to ever play the game of basketball, yet it seemed that no one mentioned the effect this decision would have on his legacy. Was it because he had already won a championship? Was it because he's often overlooked when people talk about the elite players in the NBA? Was it because he didn't have the expectations that LeBron had? Whatever the reason, his place in NBA history seemed to be forgotten in this whole mess.

Dwyane Wade had one of the greatest playoff performances -- with a little help from the refs -- that the NBA had ever seen (2006 NBA Finals). Despite suffering from a few debilitating injuries, he's posted amazing numbers throughout his career and has been the undisputed leader of his team since he's come into the league. Although his career is probably only half-way complete, he's certainly one of the best players to ever play in the NBA and much of that can be attributed to his amazing performance in the 2006 playoffs on the road to his first (and only) championship.

So I pose the question: If Dwayne Wade hadn't won a championship as the number-one option and undisputed leader on his team, would he have agreed to play alongside LeBron James?

I think Wade has a different mindset than LeBron; if he hadn't proved that he could win on his own prior to LeBron becoming a free-agent, I don't think he would have wanted to join forces. It would be an admission similar to the one LeBron James made, he needed another batman (not robin, like Pippen was to Jordan) to win a championship. I don't know if Wade would be willing to make that confession.

What do you guys think? I think it's a very interesting discussion. Obviously, we'll never know the answer -- as this is a purely hypothetical conversation -- but I think it's very intriguing question to think about.

KnicksorBust
04-16-2011, 04:45 PM
They're close friends. Ego wouldn't have been an issue. He still would have wanted LeBron to come to Miami.

Young and Stupid
04-16-2011, 06:38 PM
They're close friends. Ego wouldn't have been an issue. He still would have wanted LeBron to come to Miami.

I think it's more than just an 'ego' issue, but fair enough.

Lake_Show2416
04-16-2011, 07:25 PM
I think he would have wanted to do it more if he didn't have a title

i give a little kudos to Lebron since if they win, Wade will always have 1 more ring then him.. if that doesnt bother him, it shows that he's genuine about just wanting to win

mjt20mik
04-16-2011, 07:28 PM
I think he would have wanted to do it more if he didn't have a title

i give a little kudos to Lebron since if they win, Wade will always have 1 more ring then him.. if that doesnt bother him, it shows that he's genuine about just wanting to win

This. Plus I don't think any player in their right mind would want to turn down a player like Lebron, he was like "Hey I want to come to your team"

justinnum1
04-16-2011, 07:43 PM
wade=biw

Young and Stupid
04-17-2011, 09:33 AM
I had high-hopes for this thread, so I'll bump it once.

KnicksorBust
04-17-2011, 10:03 AM
I had high-hopes for this thread, so I'll bump it once.

"Would a great player want to play with another great player if he didn't have a ring?"

Yeah, probably.

I don't see where this thread is even supposed to go. There aren't different levels of debate. It's a simple question and one that requires very little analysis.

IamKaiserSoze
04-17-2011, 12:24 PM
wade was a champion regardless if lebron came to the heat or not. his legacy will forever be a great player who has won a championship. not all great players are as lucky. there are plenty of greats...ewing, malone, barkley, wilkins that have never won a ship and their legacy reflects that. wade should have no worries.

if he hadn't have won, i can see joining with lebron without tarnish. time will tell how we look back on lebron. i suspect eventually winning a ring will undo some long term hate he has received. but a little humility, being a little humble goes a long way in this country. barry bonds could have been more likeable too, if he wanted to be.