PDA

View Full Version : Would Denver be better of with Billups?

thekmp211
04-15-2011, 09:38 PM
Would Denver be considered more of a legitimate playoff threat if it had retained Chauncey in the Melo trade?

Now, i understand he's older, past his prime and has slipped especially on defense. still, it seems like he fits the one identified need of this nuggets team perfectly -- a closer.

billups is still a great shooter, and his clutch free throw shooting makes him a perfect closer in the playoffs. in fact, it's probably his biggest asset as a player at this stage in his career. and, since the nuggets have been running the awesome two-point offense with lawson and felton, it wouldn't be hard to imagine chauncey sliding over to the 2 with lawson running point.

and, tbh, felton might be a better fit for the knicks than billups. younger, better defender and a more natural distributor than billups.

obviously the playoffs could prove me wrong, but i think both teams would have been better off keeping their respective point guards. thoughts?

Kashmir13579
04-15-2011, 10:33 PM
i'm happier with Billups. Knicks live and die by the 3 ball and Billups is the best shooting point guard in the NBA hands down.

Felton has a wack long range shot, imo. i feel like its gonna be a brick every time he shoots a 3.

LeonFSU
04-15-2011, 10:39 PM
i'm happier with Billups. Knicks live and die by the 3 ball and Billups is the best shooting point guard in the NBA hands down.

Felton has a wack long range shot, imo. i feel like its gonna be a brick every time he shoots a 3.

Steve Nash is the best shooter in the NBA period. Steve Nash plays PG. So no. But there is a great argument for Billups as number two.

Bruno
04-15-2011, 10:42 PM
IMO, no. Having Lawson/Felton is perfect for them now.

Stat&Meloallday
Yes, denver would be better with billups....suprised they wanted to swap felton for billups ecspecially when they have lawson up and coming and could have taken over the rains of the starting spot in the next year or two.

The John Wall

Steve Nash says hello.

LeonFSU
04-15-2011, 10:47 PM
Yes, denver would be better with billups....suprised they wanted to swap felton for billups ecspecially when they have lawson up and coming and could have taken over the rains of the starting spot in the next year or two.

I think it was more about getting the best possible deal for Carmelo and worrying about it later. Felton is a better trading chip than Billups at this point in Billups' career.

gqjatt209
04-15-2011, 10:48 PM
Nope! It probably would had ruined their chemistry they built now.

Ironman5219
04-15-2011, 10:56 PM
Yes Billups is a leader, he would make everyone around him better and he brings experience. Denver probably misses him more than Mello.

Kobes a Killer
04-15-2011, 10:56 PM

Dude just hit 10 3s less then a week a go

bmd1101
04-15-2011, 10:59 PM
Would Denver be considered more of a legitimate playoff threat if it had retained Chauncey in the Melo trade?

Now, i understand he's older, past his prime and has slipped especially on defense. still, it seems like he fits the one identified need of this nuggets team perfectly -- a closer.

billups is still a great shooter, and his clutch free throw shooting makes him a perfect closer in the playoffs. in fact, it's probably his biggest asset as a player at this stage in his career. and, since the nuggets have been running the awesome two-point offense with lawson and felton, it wouldn't be hard to imagine chauncey sliding over to the 2 with lawson running point.

and, tbh, felton might be a better fit for the knicks than billups. younger, better defender and a more natural distributor than billups.

obviously the playoffs could prove me wrong, but i think both teams would have been better off keeping their respective point guards. thoughts?

He's too old and slow to play the pace the nuggets do.

NYtilIdie
04-15-2011, 11:00 PM

That was Ty Lawson dude.

allSUAVE
04-15-2011, 11:10 PM
The person that Misses Felton the most is Amare ,Felton is a better distributor than Billups

But I love Billups leadership

That's why the Knicks struggled when the trade took place we gave up 80% of the line-up so we had to build the chemistry and Billups is not a playmaking PG so that screwed with Amare play.

nysportsfan30
04-15-2011, 11:19 PM

nice one

Ty Fast
04-15-2011, 11:53 PM
with billups gone it gives lawson a chance to play. he average 16 points and 7.5 assists in march and 14 points and 6 assists in april while shooting 53 and 49%. plus they went 15 - 6 in those 2 months since the melo trade

John Walls Era
04-15-2011, 11:54 PM
Ty Lawson is better anyways. Sorry but Billups just isn't that good anymore, getting too old; could still hit a big shot though.

thekmp211
04-16-2011, 12:57 AM
i understand that billups has definitely regressed, but also think there's something to be said about true contenders having guys that are closers. not just kobe hocking up shots, but guys like billups, pierce, dirk (and kobe, specifically when he works towards getting to the line) ect. good decision makers, good shooters and more importantly good clutch free throw shooters.

i personally love the felton/lawson combo, but as i said in the OP the main knock on the nuggets right now is their lack of a closer. they are arguably the deepest, most versatile team in the league, but (at this point) its hard to envision them contending without a go-to guy. its just been the precedent and none of the current nuggets are considered to even be all-star caliber players. not saying billups is one, but you know you can depend on him in the playoffs and in crunch time. and he can get it done without being the go-to guy all night, every night.

lawson and gallinari might be that guy one day, who knows. just seems like they traded away someone who could fill maybe their only gap. watch the nuggets catch fire, billups lay an egg and retire and my whole theory go to ****.

Kashmir13579
04-16-2011, 01:08 AM
Steve Nash is the best shooter in the NBA period. Steve Nash plays PG. So no. But there is a great argument for Billups as number two.

Not this year. Actually - its debatable. If we're taking free throws into account the winner has to be Billups. This year Billups has shot 419 free throws to Nash's 250 and is doing it with a slightly higher FT%. in addition, Billups almost doubles Nash in 3pt attempts, also shooting at a slightly higher percentage. This is why Billups leads all PGs in TS%.

Steve Nash says hello.
Steve Nash is the better player but Billups is having a better shooting year. i don't think its close.

That was Ty Lawson dude.

:laugh2:

Kashmir13579
04-16-2011, 01:10 AM
Ty Lawson is better anyways. Sorry but Billups just isn't that good anymore, getting too old; could still hit a big shot though.

refer to my previous post.

Catoblepas
04-16-2011, 01:21 AM
Billups is a great playmaker... just depends on what hes asked to do..

Kashmir13579
04-16-2011, 01:28 AM
Billups is a great playmaker... just depends on what hes asked to do..

i wouldn't call him a "great" playmaker but he's capable of making a perfect pass when its needed. The Knicks don't need him to pass they need him to shoot lights out.

Sadds The Gr8
04-16-2011, 01:38 AM
i think Lawson's better at this point

Kenny
04-16-2011, 01:39 AM
Anybody that has watched both teams since the trade, you come away with the biggest reason Denver played so well is Lawson emerging and when they played Felton and him together.

Billups can't defend much anymore, jacks up way too many HERO threes in the last 5 minutes when he should be getting the ball to Melo or Amare which often leads to long rebounds and easy buckets on the other end.

I'm a Knick fan, the guy can obviously hit the 3 ball still and he is probable the best in the league at drawing the foul while shooting 3, but this guy looks for his shot to damn much.

Kashmir13579
04-16-2011, 01:44 AM
Anybody that has watched both teams since the trade, you come away with the biggest reason Denver played so well is Lawson emerging and when they played Felton and him together.

Billups can't defend much anymore, jacks up way too many HERO threes in the last 5 minutes when he should be getting the ball to Melo or Amare which often leads to long rebounds and easy buckets on the other end.

I'm a Knick fan, the guy can obviously hit the 3 ball still and he is probable the best in the league at drawing the foul while shooting 3, but this guy looks for his shot to damn much.

i think you'll get used to it, dude.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rud2aCILCRU&NR=1

LeonFSU
04-16-2011, 01:51 AM
Not this year. Actually - its debatable. If we're taking free throws into account the winner has to be Billups. This year Billups has shot 419 free throws to Nash's 250 and is doing it with a slightly higher FT%. in addition, Billups almost doubles Nash in 3pt attempts, also shooting at a slightly higher percentage. This is why Billups leads all PGs in TS%.

Steve Nash is the better player but Billups is having a better shooting year. i don't think its close.

:laugh2:

You are obviously biased. Billups is shooting slightly better, a few percentage points better, on 3s with a lot more attempts. However, on the Knicks, Billups is only shooting 33% from 3s and he is only shooting 40% from the field overall. For the year he is only shooting 43% to Nash's nearly 50%.

If you said Billups is a better 3pt shooter than Nash, even though it would be a statement based on a minuscule advantage for one year, at least you would be correct. But no, you said Billups is having a better shooting year; best shooting PG in the NBA and that its not even close.

That's just ridiculous. Nash is the best shooting PG ever. Billups isn't even shooting well at all for the Knicks. What are you talking about?

Kashmir13579
04-16-2011, 02:27 AM
You are obviously biased. Billups is shooting slightly better, a few percentage points better, on 3s with a lot more attempts. However, on the Knicks, Billups is only shooting 33% from 3s and he is only shooting 40% from the field overall. For the year he is only shooting 43% to Nash's nearly 50%.

If you said Billups is a better 3pt shooter than Nash, even though it would be a statement based on a minuscule advantage for one year, at least you would be correct. But no, you said Billups is having a better shooting year; best shooting PG in the NBA and that its not even close.

That's just ridiculous. Nash is the best shooting PG ever. Billups isn't even shooting well at all for the Knicks. What are you talking about?

The bolded part is why he's having a better shooting year. i think its obvious looking at the numbers.

you also failed to address my FT argument which also holds a decent amount of water imo.

the fact that Billups has struggled since joining the Knicks and still is beating Nash out in all the categories i mentioned is a testament to how great of a shooting year he is having. its also noteworthy that only recently is Billups getting back to 100% after the leg injury he received early on in NY.

btw, Why am i biased??? Steve Nash is one of my favorite players if not my all time favorite player.

this isn't about Nash vs Billups, this is about Billups vs Felton. i stated why i thought Billups is a much better fit for the Knicks and the numbers back it up. what are you talking about?

thekmp211
04-16-2011, 11:04 PM
generally speaking, when it is difficult to maintain efficiency while increasing volume. the fact that billups has attempted so many more shots and still maintained his elite TS% is pretty remarkable. as a pure shooter, i'll still take nash, but billups is as pure a shooter as there is in the league and has been for quite some time. and we know he's clutch.

anywhoo, i'll revisit this after both teams have a chance to prove us right/wrong. i do think billups will be better for the knicks that felton would have been in the playoffs capacity.

coryd238
04-16-2011, 11:54 PM
No lol, Ty is better than Billups in this point of their careers. Billups leaves off reputation now. He's not a playmaker and his clutchness is vastly overrated.